Experts and Doctors on prognosis in Auckland, New Zealand
Locale: Auckland, New Zealand
- Lasham A, Samuel W, Cao H, Patel R, Mehta R, Stern J, et al. YB-1, the E2F pathway, and regulation of tumor cell growth. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2012;104:133-46 pubmed publisher..57 to -1.71, P < .001) and bound to the promoters of several well-defined E2F1 target genes. YB-1 expression is associated with the activity of E2F transcription factors and may control tumor cell growth by this mechanism. ..
- Dimopoulos M, Siegel D, Lonial S, Qi J, Hajek R, Facon T, et al. Vorinostat or placebo in combination with bortezomib in patients with multiple myeloma (VANTAGE 088): a multicentre, randomised, double-blind study. Lancet Oncol. 2013;14:1129-1140 pubmed publisher..Different treatment schedules of bortezomib and vorinostat might improve tolerability and enhance activity. Merck. ..
- Martin A, Crawford J, Skinner J, Smith W. High Arrhythmic Burden but Low Mortality during Long-term Follow-up in Arrhythmogenic Right Ventricular Cardiomyopathy. Heart Lung Circ. 2016;25:275-81 pubmed publisher..6, 95% CI 1.5-2.7, P=0.01). The long-term prognosis of patients with ARVC is favourable although high proportions receive appropriate ICD therapy. Male gender is an independent predictor of appropriate ICD therapy. ..
- Barreto S, Windsor J. Justifying vein resection with pancreatoduodenectomy. Lancet Oncol. 2016;17:e118-24 pubmed publisher..This Personal View seeks to review the justification for pancreatoduodenectomy with synchronous venous resection to promote debate and draw attention to the gaps in knowledge for further research. ..
- Henness S, Vereecken P. Management of Merkel tumours: an evidence-based review. Curr Opin Oncol. 2008;20:280-6 pubmed publisher..There is a need for more structured clinical research to better illuminate the most effective treatments for this disease. ..
- Stevens W, Stevens G, Kolbe J, Cox B. Lung cancer in New Zealand: patterns of secondary care and implications for survival. J Thorac Oncol. 2007;2:481-93 pubmed..Overall, 50% of patients, including 30% with early-stage disease, did not receive initial anticancer treatment. Low anticancer treatment rates may contribute to poorer survival outcomes in New Zealand. ..
- Gentles T, Colan S, Wilson N, Biosa R, Neutze J. Left ventricular mechanics during and after acute rheumatic fever: contractile dysfunction is closely related to valve regurgitation. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2001;37:201-7 pubmed..These findings suggest that mechanical factors are the most important contributors to myocardial damage during and after ARF. ..
- Wang L, Hurley D, Watkins W, Araki H, Tamada Y, Muthukaruppan A, et al. Cell cycle gene networks are associated with melanoma prognosis. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e34247 pubmed publisher..g., immune response). The gene expression modules identified here, and the RNAs predicted by Bayesian network inference to be upstream of these modules, are potential prognostic biomarkers and drug targets. ..
- Knoll G, Fergusson D, ChassÃ© M, Hebert P, Wells G, Tibbles L, et al. Ramipril versus placebo in kidney transplant patients with proteinuria: a multicentre, double-blind, randomised controlled trial. Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol. 2016;4:318-26 pubmed publisher..These results do not support the use of angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors with the goal of improving clinical outcomes in this population. Canadian Institutes of Health Research. ..
- Sinclair B, Rowan J, Hainsworth O. Macrosomic infants are not all equal. Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol. 2007;47:101-5 pubmed..Using a birthweight >or= 4500 g to define macrosomia is associated with disparate morbidity between ethnicities that have different body compositions. ..
- French J, Straznicky I, Webber B, Aylward P, Frey M, Adgey A, et al. Angiographic frame counts 90 minutes after streptokinase predict left ventricular function at 48 hours following myocardial infarction. Heart. 1999;81:128-33 pubmed..4% v 56.5%, p = 0.03). The 90 minute CTFC predicts left ventricular function at 48 hours following streptokinase. The CTFC associated with better ventricular function may be higher than values determined from a non-infarct population. ..
- Petersen S, Matthews P, Francis J, Robson M, Zemrak F, Boubertakh R, et al. UK Biobank's cardiovascular magnetic resonance protocol. J Cardiovasc Magn Reson. 2016;18:8 pubmed publisher..This report will serve as a reference to researchers intending to use the UK Biobank resource or to replicate the UK Biobank cardiovascular magnetic resonance protocol in different settings. ..
- Goodger R, Asrani V, Windsor J, Petrov M. Impact of metabolic comorbidities on outcomes of patients with acute pancreatitis: a scoping review. Panminerva Med. 2016;58:86-93 pubmed..This scoping review aims to map published clinical studies that have investigated the impact of metabolic comorbidities on outcomes in patients with acute pancreatitis. ..
- Fraser A, Scragg R, Cox B, Jackson R. Helicobacter pylori, Chlamydia pneumoniae and myocardial infarction. Intern Med J. 2003;33:267-72 pubmed..38; 95%CI: 0.83-2.29). The association between H. pylori or C. pneumoniae seropositivity and coronary heart disease was significant but may not indicate a causal association. ..
- Dalziel S, Lim V, Lambert A, McCarthy D, Parag V, Rodgers A, et al. Antenatal exposure to betamethasone: psychological functioning and health related quality of life 31 years after inclusion in randomised controlled trial. BMJ. 2005;331:665 pubmed..Obstetricians should continue to use a single course of antenatal betamethasone for the prevention of neonatal respiratory distress syndrome. ..
- Johnson N, Bagrie E, Coomarasamy A, Bhattacharya S, Shelling A, Jessop S, et al. Ovarian reserve tests for predicting fertility outcomes for assisted reproductive technology: the International Systematic Collaboration of Ovarian Reserve Evaluation protocol for a systematic review of ovarian reserve test accuracy. BJOG. 2006;113:1472-80 pubmed..Main results and conclusions N/A. ..
- Lindholm D, Lindback J, Armstrong P, Budaj A, Cannon C, Granger C, et al. Biomarker-Based Risk Model to Predict Cardiovascular Mortality in Patients With Stable Coronary Disease. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2017;70:813-826 pubmed publisher..The Stabilization of Atherosclerotic Plaque by Initiation of Darapladib Therapy Trial [STABILITY]; NCT00799903). ..
- Wei H, Xu Z, Liu F, Wang F, Wang X, Sun X, et al. Hypoxia induces oncogene yes-associated protein 1 nuclear translocation to promote pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma invasion via epithelial-mesenchymal transition. Tumour Biol. 2017;39:1010428317691684 pubmed publisher..Therefore, yes-associated protein 1 may serve as a novel promising target to enhance therapeutic effects for treating pancreatic cancer. ..
- Vather R, Sammour T, Kahokehr A, Connolly A, Hill A. Lymph node evaluation and long-term survival in Stage II and Stage III colon cancer: a national study. Ann Surg Oncol. 2009;16:585-93 pubmed publisher..The lymph node ratio has been validated as a powerful predictor of survival in Stage III cancer. Our results support the current practice of harvesting and examining as many nodes as possible during attempted curative resection. ..
- Petrov M, Shanbhag S, Chakraborty M, Phillips A, Windsor J. Organ failure and infection of pancreatic necrosis as determinants of mortality in patients with acute pancreatitis. Gastroenterology. 2010;139:813-20 pubmed publisher..The relative risk of mortality doubles when OF and IPN are both present and indicates extremely severe disease or critical acute pancreatitis. ..
- Wright D, McNeill R, Merrie A, Print C. Great expectations: use of molecular tests and computerised prognostic tools in New Zealand cancer care. N Z Med J. 2012;125:9-21 pubmed..Expanded use of these often-expensive tests also has economic implications. The role of these technologies needs to be considered in the context of a wide-ranging cancer control strategy. ..
- Wilson W, Hay M. Targeting hypoxia in cancer therapy. Nat Rev Cancer. 2011;11:393-410 pubmed publisher..We address the particular challenges and opportunities these overlapping strategies present, and discuss the central importance of emerging diagnostic tools for patient stratification in targeting hypoxia. ..
- Lasham A, Print C, Woolley A, Dunn S, Braithwaite A. YB-1: oncoprotein, prognostic marker and therapeutic target?. Biochem J. 2013;449:11-23 pubmed publisher..We also argue that there is strong and sufficient evidence to suggest that YB-1 is an excellent molecular marker of cancer progression that could be used in the clinic, and that YB-1 could be a useful target for cancer therapy. ..
- Kannan N, Kang J, Kong X, Tang J, Perry J, Mohankumar K, et al. Trefoil factor 3 is oncogenic and mediates anti-estrogen resistance in human mammary carcinoma. Neoplasia. 2010;12:1041-53 pubmed..Functional antagonism of TFF3 therefore warrants consideration as a novel therapeutic strategy for mammary carcinoma. ..
- Stewart R, White H, Kirby A, Heritier S, Simes R, Nestel P, et al. White blood cell count predicts reduction in coronary heart disease mortality with pravastatin. Circulation. 2005;111:1756-62 pubmed..These data support the hypothesis that individuals with evidence of inflammation may obtain a greater benefit from statin therapy. ..
- Buckingham K, Chamley L. A critical assessment of the role of antiphospholipid antibodies in infertility. J Reprod Immunol. 2009;80:132-45 pubmed publisher..We also demonstrate that there is no evidence that supposedly aPL-induced infertility or implantation failure after IVF can be treated with pharmacological interventions. ..
- Capelle L, Oei P, Teoh H, Hamilton D, Palmer D, Low I, et al. Retrospective review of prognostic factors, including 1p19q deletion, in low-grade oligodendrogliomas and a review of recent published works. J Med Imaging Radiat Oncol. 2009;53:305-9 pubmed publisher..Analysis of potential prognostic factors was limited by the lack of events during the follow-up period. ..
- Dalbeth N, House M, Horne A, Te Karu L, Petrie K, McQueen F, et al. The experience and impact of gout in M?ori and Pacific people: a prospective observational study. Clin Rheumatol. 2013;32:247-51 pubmed publisher..M?ori and Pacific ethnicity should be recognised as a prognostic factor for more severe outcomes in this disease, and intensive efforts should be made to work with these patients to control serum urate and prevent flares...
- Kinottenbelt G, Skinner A, Seefelder C. Tracheo-oesophageal fistula (TOF) and oesophageal atresia (OA). Best Pract Res Clin Anaesthesiol. 2010;24:387-401 pubmed..The evidence for optimum management is based mostly on expert opinion; there are very few large randomised controlled trials concerning many areas of perioperative management. ..
- Vaidyanathan V, Naidu V, Kao C, Karunasinghe N, Bishop K, Wang A, et al. Environmental factors and risk of aggressive prostate cancer among a population of New Zealand men - a genotypic approach. Mol Biosyst. 2017;13:681-698 pubmed publisher..The list of genes with SNPs identified as being associated with the risk of PCa in a New Zealand population is provided in the graphical abstract. ..
- Keating G. Peginterferon-alpha-2a (40 kD): A review of its use in chronic hepatitis B. Drugs. 2009;69:2633-60 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, peginterferon-alpha-2a (40 kD) is a valuable option for the first-line treatment of HBeAg-negative or -positive chronic hepatitis B...