Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on male in Auckland, New Zealand
Locale: Auckland, New Zealand
- Mintegi S, Dalziel S, Azkunaga B, Prego J, Arana Arri E, Acedo Y, et al. International Variability in Gastrointestinal Decontamination With Acute Poisonings. Pediatrics. 2017;140: pubmed publisher..001). Globally, there are substantial differences in the use and appropriateness of GID procedures in the management of pediatric poisonings. International best practices need to be better implemented. ..
- Alfredsson J, Neely B, Neely M, Bhatt D, Goodman S, Tricoci P, et al. Predicting the risk of bleeding during dual antiplatelet therapy after acute coronary syndromes. Heart. 2017;103:1168-1176 pubmed publisher..The TRILOGY ACS bleeding models can inform risk -benefit considerations regarding the duration of DAPT following ACS. ClinicalTrials.gov identifier: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00699998. ..
- Mishra S, Sim D, Flanagan P. Haemochromatosis: evaluating the effectiveness of a novel patient self-management approach to venesection as blood donation. N Z Med J. 2017;130:26-33 pubmed..Longer follow up is required to assess the overall pattern of ferritin control in patients who self manage their haemochromatosis by regular blood donation. ..
- Gillies N, Pendharkar S, Singh R, Windsor J, Bhatia M, Petrov M. Fasting levels of insulin and amylin after acute pancreatitis are associated with pro-inflammatory cytokines. Arch Physiol Biochem. 2017;123:238-248 pubmed publisher..These associations have possible relevance in the development of diabetes associated with diseases of the exocrine pancreas, providing the opportunity to develop novel treatment paradigms. ..
- Plank L, Hill G. Sequential metabolic changes following induction of systemic inflammatory response in patients with severe sepsis or major blunt trauma. World J Surg. 2000;24:630-8 pubmed..The remarkably similar metabolic sequelae seen in critically ill patients following the onset of severe sepsis or major trauma may constitute a universal response to the induction of the systemic inflammatory response syndrome. ..
- D Souza R, Markworth J, Aasen K, Zeng N, Cameron Smith D, Mitchell C. Acute resistance exercise modulates microRNA expression profiles: Combined tissue and circulatory targeted analyses. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0181594 pubmed publisher..The lack a qualitative agreement in the response pattern of intramuscular and circulating miR expression suggests the analysis of circulatory miRs is not reflective of the miR responses within skeletal muscle after exercise. ..
- Chan M, Neely M, Roe M, Goodman S, Erlinge D, Cornel J, et al. Temporal Biomarker Profiling Reveals Longitudinal Changes in Risk of Death or Myocardial Infarction in Non-ST-Segment Elevation Acute Coronary Syndrome. Clin Chem. 2017;63:1214-1226 pubmed publisher..10, 95%, CI 1.00-1.20). Temporal changes in NT-proBNP and hs-CRP are quantitatively associated with future cardiovascular events, supporting their role in dynamic risk stratification of NSTEACS. ClinicalTrials.gov identifier NCT00699998. ..
- Vaidyanathan V, Naidu V, Kao C, Karunasinghe N, Bishop K, Wang A, et al. Environmental factors and risk of aggressive prostate cancer among a population of New Zealand men - a genotypic approach. Mol Biosyst. 2017;13:681-698 pubmed publisher..The list of genes with SNPs identified as being associated with the risk of PCa in a New Zealand population is provided in the graphical abstract. ..
- Neave P, Nair B, Heywood A. Student travel health and the role of universities and health clinics in New Zealand to prevent imported infections: a cross-sectional study. J Travel Med. 2017;24: pubmed publisher..A national policy is warranted involving all stakeholders, utilizing innovative technologies to increase uptake of student travel health services. ..
- Shekhawat G, Searchfield G, Stinear C. Randomized Trial of Transcranial Direct Current Stimulation and Hearing Aids for Tinnitus Management. Neurorehabil Neural Repair. 2014;28:410-9 pubmed publisher..The hearing aid effects appeared independent of tDCS. Further investigations of tDCS or other neuromodulators priming the auditory system for sound therapy based tinnitus treatments are warranted. ..
- Voss S, Black S, Brandling J, Buswell M, Cheston R, Cullum S, et al. Home or hospital for people with dementia and one or more other multimorbidities: What is the potential to reduce avoidable emergency admissions? The HOMEWARD Project Protocol. BMJ Open. 2017;7:e016651 pubmed publisher..The dissemination strategy will include publishing findings in appropriate journals, at conferences and in newsletters. We will pay particular attention to dissemination to the public, dementia organisations and ambulance services. ..
- Seeliger B, Sznajd J, Robson J, Judge A, Craven A, Grayson P, et al. Are the 1990 American College of Rheumatology vasculitis classification criteria still valid?. Rheumatology (Oxford). 2017;56:1154-1161 pubmed publisher..Since publication of the ACR criteria for vasculitis, the sensitivity for each type of vasculitis, except GCA, has diminished, although the specificities have remained high, highlighting the need for updated classification criteria. ..
- Robinson T, Jackson R, Wells S, Kerr A, Marshall R. An observational study of how clinicians use cardiovascular risk assessment to inform statin prescribing decisions. N Z Med J. 2017;130:28-38 pubmed..Our objective was to understand how New Zealand primary care clinicians use CVD risk assessment estimates to inform new statin prescribing...
- Zapiec B, Dieriks B, Tan S, Faull R, Mombaerts P, Curtis M. A ventral glomerular deficit in Parkinson's disease revealed by whole olfactory bulb reconstruction. Brain. 2017;140:2722-2736 pubmed publisher..Our rigorous quantitative approach to the whole olfactory bulb will help understand the anatomy and histology of the normal human olfactory bulb and its pathological alterations in Parkinson's disease...
- Abnousi F, Sundaram V, Yong C, Prats J, Deliargyris E, Stone G, et al. Cangrelor reduces the risk of ischemic complications in patients with single-vessel and multi-vessel disease undergoing percutaneous coronary intervention: Insights from the CHAMPION PHOENIX trial. Am Heart J. 2017;188:147-155 pubmed publisher..Cangrelor consistently reduced ischemic complications in both SVD and MVD patients without a significant increase in GUSTO severe bleeding. CLINICAL PERSPECTIVES. ..
- Koh C, Zeng I, Ravi S, Zhu M, Vince K, Young S. Periprosthetic Joint Infection Is the Main Cause of Failure for Modern Knee Arthroplasty: An Analysis of 11,134 Knees. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2017;475:2194-2201 pubmed publisher..Aseptic loosening became more important with longer followup. Efforts to improve outcome after primary TKA should focus on these areas, particularly prevention of PJI. Level III, therapeutic study. ..
- Vaduganathan M, Harrington R, Stone G, Steg P, Gibson C, Hamm C, et al. Cangrelor Versus Clopidogrel on a Background of Unfractionated Heparin (from CHAMPION PHOENIX). Am J Cardiol. 2017;120:1043-1048 pubmed publisher..4% vs 0.2%; OR 1.87 [0.83 to 4.21]; p?=?0.12). In conclusion, cangrelor reduces early ischemic periprocedural complications without increasing severe bleeding compared with clopidogrel in patients undergoing PCI with UFH. ..
- Leslie K, Culwick M, Reynolds H, Hannam J, Merry A. Awareness during general anaesthesia in the first 4,000 incidents reported to webAIRS. Anaesth Intensive Care. 2017;45:441-447 pubmed..Patients continue to be put at risk of awareness by a range of well-described errors (such as syringe swaps) but also by some new errors related to recently introduced anaesthetic equipment, such as electronic anaesthesia workstations. ..
- McCambridge A, Stinear J, Peek S, Byblow W. Propriospinal cutaneous-induced EMG suppression is unaltered by anodal tDCS of healthy motor cortex. Clin Neurophysiol. 2017;128:1608-1616 pubmed publisher..Propriospinal-mediated cutaneous-induced suppression was not modulated by a-tDCS in healthy adults. Reporting non-significant findings is paramount for the development of clinically-relevant tDCS protocols. ..
- Dalby A, Gottlieb S, Cyr D, Magnus Ohman E, McGuire D, Ruzyllo W, et al. Dual antiplatelet therapy in patients with diabetes and acute coronary syndromes managed without revascularization. Am Heart J. 2017;188:156-166 pubmed publisher..There was no differential treatment effect with a more potent DAPT regimen of aspirin + prasugrel vs. aspirin + clopidogrel. ..
- Bajaj M, Upadhyay V. Age at referral for undescended testes: has anything changed in a decade?. N Z Med J. 2017;130:45-49 pubmed..6 months) when compared to the older snapshot (1996-1998). These timings are more in keeping with recommendations for orchiopexy. ..
- Vazirpanah N, Kienhorst L, van Lochem E, Wichers C, Rossato M, Shiels P, et al. Patients with gout have short telomeres compared with healthy participants: association of telomere length with flare frequency and cardiovascular disease in gout. Ann Rheum Dis. 2017;76:1313-1319 pubmed publisher..005). Patients with gout have shorter telomeres than healthy participants, reflecting increased cellular senescence. Telomere shortening was associated with the number of flares and with cardiovascular disease in people with gout. ..
- Roth G, Johnson C, Abajobir A, Abd Allah F, Abera S, Abyu G, et al. Global, Regional, and National Burden of Cardiovascular Diseases for 10 Causes, 1990 to 2015. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2017;70:1-25 pubmed publisher..Future updates of the GBD study can be used to guide policymakers who are focused on reducing the overall burden of noncommunicable disease and achieving specific global health targets for CVD. ..
- Hennebry A, Oldham J, Shavlakadze T, Grounds M, Sheard P, Fiorotto M, et al. IGF1 stimulates greater muscle hypertrophy in the absence of myostatin in male mice. J Endocrinol. 2017;234:187-200 pubmed publisher..Finally, we show that myostatin and IGF1 regulate skeletal muscle size, myofibre type and gonadal fat through distinct mechanisms that involve increasing the total abundance and phosphorylation status of AKT and rpS6. ..
- Moxon T, Reed P, Jelleyman T, Anderson P, Leversha A, Jackson C, et al. Is a rheumatic fever register the best surveillance tool to evaluate rheumatic fever control in the Auckland region?. N Z Med J. 2017;130:48-62 pubmed..This was significantly more accurate than medical officer of health notification and hospitalisation data. ..
- Tottman A, Alsweiler J, Bloomfield F, Pan M, Harding J. Relationship between Measures of Neonatal Glycemia, Neonatal Illness, and 2-Year Outcomes in Very Preterm Infants. J Pediatr. 2017;188:115-121 pubmed publisher..In very preterm infants, measures of neonatal glycemia are markers of gestational age and intrauterine growth, and are not independent predictors of neonatal illness or outcomes at 2 years of age. ..
- Serruys P, Katagiri Y, Sotomi Y, Zeng Y, Chevalier B, van der Schaaf R, et al. Arterial Remodeling After Bioresorbable Scaffolds and Metallic Stents. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2017;70:60-74 pubmed publisher..ABSORB II Randomized Controlled Trial; NCT01425281). ..
- Lahrouchi N, Raju H, Lodder E, Papatheodorou E, Ware J, Papadakis M, et al. Utility of Post-Mortem Genetic Testing in Cases of Sudden Arrhythmic Death Syndrome. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2017;69:2134-2145 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, we showed the enhanced utility of combined clinical and genetic evaluation. ..
- Bissessor L, Wilson J, McAuliffe G, Upton A. Audit of Trichomonas vaginalis test requesting by community referrers after a change from culture to molecular testing, including a cost analysis. N Z Med J. 2017;130:34-37 pubmed..Our audit suggests that there is room for improvement with TV test requesting in our community. ..
- Mousa A, Naderpoor N, de Courten M, Teede H, Kellow N, Walker K, et al. Vitamin D supplementation has no effect on insulin sensitivity or secretion in vitamin D-deficient, overweight or obese adults: a randomized placebo-controlled trial. Am J Clin Nutr. 2017;105:1372-1381 pubmed publisher..Therefore, it is unlikely that vitamin D supplementation would be an effective strategy for reducing diabetes risk even in vitamin D-deficient populations. This trial was registered at clinicaltrials.gov as NCT02112721. ..
- Park S, Astell H. Prevalence of enduring power of attorney and barriers towards it in community geriatric population in Counties Manukau Health. N Z Med J. 2017;130:35-45 pubmed..Increased efforts to educate and support uptake could have positive personal and social outcomes. ..
- Wasan H, Gibbs P, Sharma N, Taieb J, Heinemann V, Ricke J, et al. First-line selective internal radiotherapy plus chemotherapy versus chemotherapy alone in patients with liver metastases from colorectal cancer (FOXFIRE, SIRFLOX, and FOXFIRE-Global): a combined analysis of three multicentre, randomised, phase 3 tria. Lancet Oncol. 2017;18:1159-1171 pubmed publisher..Bobby Moore Fund of Cancer Research UK, Sirtex Medical. ..
- Babl F, Mackay M, Borland M, Herd D, Kochar A, Hort J, et al. Bell's Palsy in Children (BellPIC): protocol for a multicentre, placebo-controlled randomized trial. BMC Pediatr. 2017;17:53 pubmed publisher..The study is registered with the Australian New Zealand Clinical Trials Registry ACTRN12615000563561 (1 June 2015). ..
- Gane E, DeJesus E, Janczewska E, George J, Diago M, Da Silva M, et al. Simeprevir with peginterferon α-2a/ribavirin for chronic hepatitis C virus genotype 1 infection in treatment-experienced patients: an open-label, rollover study. BMC Infect Dis. 2017;17:389 pubmed publisher..Simeprevir 150 mg QD with PegIFNα-2a/RBV led to a high SVR rate among prior relapsers with HCV GT1 infection. No new safety signals were noted. NCT01323244 . (date of registration: March 24, 2011). ..
- Frey R, Foster S, Boyd M, Robinson J, Gott M. Family experiences of the transition to palliative care in aged residential care (ARC): a qualitative study. Int J Palliat Nurs. 2017;23:238-247 pubmed publisher..Results indicate the need for the development of a new collaborative, multidisciplinary model to enhance the delivery of palliative care in long-term care. ..
- Hong J, Gilder E, Blenkiron C, Jiang Y, Evennett N, Petrov M, et al. Nonocclusive mesenteric infarction after cardiac surgery: potential biomarkers. J Surg Res. 2017;211:21-29 pubmed publisher..However, all patients with high values of SMA developed intestinal infarction, thus warranting further investigation. An increasing D-lactate after intestinal resection suggests impending death. ..
- Hess C, Clare R, Neely M, Tricoci P, Mahaffey K, James S, et al. Differential occurrence, profile, and impact of first recurrent cardiovascular events after an acute coronary syndrome. Am Heart J. 2017;187:194-203 pubmed publisher..These findings have implications for improving post-ACS care and influencing the design of future cardiovascular trials. ..
- Huang L, Schilling C, Dalziel K, Xie S, Celermajer D, McNeil J, et al. Hospital Inpatient Costs for Single Ventricle Patients Surviving the Fontan Procedure. Am J Cardiol. 2017;120:467-472 pubmed publisher..Over 40% of the pediatric hospital costs for Fontan patients were estimated to occur after the last planned surgery. ..
- O Leary K, Kool B, Christey G. Characteristics of older adults hospitalised following trauma in the Midland region of New Zealand. N Z Med J. 2017;130:45-53 pubmed..To describe the epidemiology of injuries sustained by older adult trauma patients admitted to hospitals in the Midland region (population 886,000) of New Zealand...
- Culliford Semmens N, Tilton E, Webb R, Lennon D, Paku B, Malcolm J, et al. Adequate adherence to benzathine penicillin secondary prophylaxis following the diagnosis of rheumatic heart disease by echocardiographic screening. N Z Med J. 2017;130:50-57 pubmed..This likely reflects the benefit of rheumatic fever registers and community nursing services rather than the pathway of the diagnosis for RHD. ..
- Boersma L, Barr C, Knops R, Theuns D, Eckardt L, Neuzil P, et al. Implant and Midterm Outcomes of the Subcutaneous Implantable Cardioverter-Defibrillator Registry: The EFFORTLESS Study. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2017;70:830-841 pubmed publisher..Evaluation oF Factors ImpacTing CLinical Outcome and Cost EffectiveneSS of the S-ICD [The EFFORTLESS S-ICD Registry]; NCT01085435). ..
- McKinlay C, Alsweiler J, Anstice N, Burakevych N, Chakraborty A, Chase J, et al. Association of Neonatal Glycemia With Neurodevelopmental Outcomes at 4.5 Years. JAMA Pediatr. 2017;171:972-983 pubmed publisher..Hypoglycemia is common during neonatal transition and may cause permanent neurological impairment, but optimal intervention thresholds are unknown...
- Wilson M, Mak W, Firth M, Deva S, Findlay M. Mortality within 30 days of systemic anticancer therapy at a tertiary cancer centre: assessing the safety and quality of clinical care. N Z Med J. 2017;130:63-72 pubmed..As a quality assurance tool, we assessed the 30-day mortality rate at Auckland City Hospital and compared this with international standards...
- Isles S, Christey G, Civil I, Hicks P. The New Zealand Major Trauma Registry: the foundation for a data-driven approach in a contemporary trauma system. N Z Med J. 2017;130:19-27 pubmed..To describe the development of the New Zealand Major Trauma Registry (NZ-MTR) and the initial experiences of its use...
- Dowen F, Cross N, Clayton P, Pilmore H. Deceased donor kidney transplantation in New Zealand: use and audit of a survival prediction tool. N Z Med J. 2017;130:33-39 pubmed..We review use of the US derived algorithm in New Zealand. We assessed accuracy of scores calculated by referring units and audited whether the system is applied in New Zealand...
- Keating G. Sorafenib: A Review in Hepatocellular Carcinoma. Target Oncol. 2017;12:243-253 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, sorafenib remains an important option for the treatment of HCC. ..
- Stewart R, Held C, Hadziosmanovic N, Armstrong P, Cannon C, Granger C, et al. Physical Activity and Mortality in Patients With Stable Coronary Heart Disease. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2017;70:1689-1700 pubmed publisher..0007). In patients with stable CHD, more physical activity was associated with lower mortality. The largest benefits occurred between sedentary patient groups and between those with the highest mortality risk. ..
- Tai V, Lindsay K, Sims J, McQueen F. Qualitative study: the experience and impact of living with Behcet's syndrome. N Z Med J. 2017;130:27-36 pubmed..This qualitative study aims to explore the experiences of patients living with Behcet's syndrome in New Zealand...
- Lee C, Fu H, Baratang N, Rousseau J, Kumra H, Sutton V, et al. Mutations in Fibronectin Cause a Subtype of Spondylometaphyseal Dysplasia with "Corner Fractures". Am J Hum Genet. 2017;101:815-823 pubmed publisher..In summary, FN1 mutations that cause defective fibronectin secretion are found in SMD, and we thus provide additional evidence for a critical function of fibronectin in cartilage and bone. ..
- Del Pozo Cruz B, Gant N, Del Pozo Cruz J, Maddison R. Relationships between sleep duration, physical activity and body mass index in young New Zealanders: An isotemporal substitution analysis. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0184472 pubmed publisher..001). MVPA and SB have a unique effect on BMI. Further, substituting SB with LPA or MVPA was associated with a favourable effect on BMI across all age groups; with MVPA having the strongest association. ..
- Maffetone P, Malcata R, Rivera I, Laursen P. The Boston Marathon versus the World Marathon Majors. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0184024 pubmed publisher..Weather rather than course metrics appeared to impact performance times most. ..
- Peek K, Gillham M. Is the New Zealand Early Warning Score useful following cardiac surgery?. N Z Med J. 2017;130:9-14 pubmed..The rate of MET triggering EWS in patients post-cardiac surgery is high at 182/1,000 admissions. Using NZEWS could reduce the MET calling rate without significant risk to patient safety. ..
- Page M, Wyeth E, Samaranayaka A, McNoe B, Walker R, Schollum J, et al. Accuracy of ethnicity data recorded in hospital-based patient clinical records and the Australia and New Zealand Dialysis and Transplant Registry. N Z Med J. 2017;130:65-71 pubmed..Despite this, alignment of ethnicity data collection methods, as per national guidelines, should occur for all databases used for research and clinical practice in New Zealand. ..
- Elliott J, Wang T, Gamble G, Williams M, Matsis P, Troughton R, et al. A decade of improvement in the management of New Zealand ST-elevation myocardial infarction (STEMI) patients: results from the New Zealand Acute Coronary Syndrome (ACS) Audit Group national audits of 2002, 2007 and 2012. N Z Med J. 2017;130:17-28 pubmed..However, there appears to be considerable room to optimise management, particularly with the use of timely reperfusion therapy for more patients. ..
- Loo S, Campbell A, Vyas J, Pillarisetti N. Case Report of a Hypobaric Chamber Fitness to Fly Test in a Child With Severe Cystic Lung Disease. Pediatrics. 2017;140: pubmed publisher..This test has the potential to be used as a fitness to fly test in children at risk for air leak syndromes who are being considered for air travel. ..
- Novara F, Rinaldi B, Sisodiya S, Coppola A, Giglio S, Stanzial F, et al. Haploinsufficiency for ANKRD11-flanking genes makes the difference between KBG and 16q24.3 microdeletion syndromes: 12 new cases. Eur J Hum Genet. 2017;25:694-701 pubmed publisher..The single patient not deleted for ANKRD11, whose phenotype is characterized by milder psychomotor delay, cardiac congenital malformation, thrombocytopenia and astigmatism, confirms all this data. ..
- Feng L, Wei D, Lin S, Maddison R, Ni Mhurchu C, Jiang Y, et al. Systematic review and meta-analysis of school-based obesity interventions in mainland China. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0184704 pubmed publisher..15,-0.67); prevention studies: -0.19 kg/m2 (95% CI: -0.27, -0.11) vs. +0.05 kg/m2 (95% CI: -0.04, +0.15)). Comprehensive school-based interventions may assist in tackling the rising prevalence of childhood obesity in mainland China. ..
- Wilkins C, Prasad J, Parker K, Rychert M, Barnes H. Recent Trends in Alcohol and Other Drug Use Among Police Detainees in New Zealand, 2010-2015. Curr Top Behav Neurosci. 2017;34:161-172 pubmed publisher..The views expressed in this paper are entirely our own and do not necessarily reflect those of New Zealand Police. ..
- Gane E, Shiffman M, Etzkorn K, Morelli G, Stedman C, Davis M, et al. Sofosbuvir-velpatasvir with ribavirin for 24 weeks in hepatitis C virus patients previously treated with a direct-acting antiviral regimen. Hepatology. 2017;66:1083-1089 pubmed publisher..The most frequently reported adverse events were fatigue, nausea, headache, insomnia, and rash. One patient (1%) with genotype 1a infection discontinued all study drugs due to an adverse event (irritability)...
- Streit S, Verschoor M, Rodondi N, Bonfim D, Burman R, Collins C, et al. Variation in GP decisions on antihypertensive treatment in oldest-old and frail individuals across 29 countries. BMC Geriatr. 2017;17:93 pubmed publisher..Future hypertension trials should also include frail patients to acquire evidence on the efficacy of antihypertensive treatment in oldest-old patients with frailty, with the aim to get evidence-based data for clinical decision-making. ..
- Healee D, McCallin A, Jones M. Restoring: How older adults manage their recovery from hip fracture. Int J Orthop Trauma Nurs. 2017;26:30-35 pubmed publisher..Nurses need to understand that older adults will recover in their own way following discharge, often re-interpreting health information to fit their own situations. ..
- Cheung W, Myburgh J, McGuinness S, Chalmers D, Parke R, Blyth F, et al. A cross-sectional survey of Australian and New Zealand public opinion on methods totriage intensive care patients in an influenza pandemic. Crit Care Resusc. 2017;19:254-265 pubmed..In an influenza pandemic, when ICU resources would be overwhelmed, survey respondents preferred that ICU triage be performed by a senior doctor, but also perceived the use of pre-determined triage criteria to be fair. ..
- Wei H, Xu Z, Liu F, Wang F, Wang X, Sun X, et al. Hypoxia induces oncogene yes-associated protein 1 nuclear translocation to promote pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma invasion via epithelial-mesenchymal transition. Tumour Biol. 2017;39:1010428317691684 pubmed publisher..Therefore, yes-associated protein 1 may serve as a novel promising target to enhance therapeutic effects for treating pancreatic cancer. ..
- Schut M, Patassini S, Kim E, Bullock J, Waldvogel H, Faull R, et al. Effect of post-mortem delay on N-terminal huntingtin protein fragments in human control and Huntington disease brain lysates. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0178556 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that subject-to-subject variation contributes more to variability in N-terminal huntingtin fragments than post mortem delay. ..
- Grainger B, Yielder J, Reid P, Bagg W. Predictors of medical student remediation and their underlying causes: early lessons from a curriculum change in the University of Auckland Medical Programme. N Z Med J. 2017;130:73-82 pubmed..Remediation is largely successful, however, interventions addressing reasoning and knowledge application may improve its effectiveness. ..
- Marriner C, Cronin J, Macadam P, Storey A. Redistributing load using wearable resistance during power clean training improves athletic performance. Eur J Sport Sci. 2017;17:1101-1109 pubmed publisher..3%); and (4) several bar path kinematic variables improved at 70% and 90% 1RM loads. WR power clean training with 12% BM can positively influence power clean ability and CMJ performance, as well as improve technique factors. ..
- Jacobson I, Lawitz E, Gane E, Willems B, Ruane P, Nahass R, et al. Efficacy of 8 Weeks of Sofosbuvir, Velpatasvir, and Voxilaprevir in Patients With Chronic HCV Infection: 2 Phase 3 Randomized Trials. Gastroenterology. 2017;153:113-122 pubmed publisher..Mild gastrointestinal adverse events were associated with treatment regimens that included voxilaprevir. ClinicalTrials.gov numbers: POLARIS-2, NCT02607800; and POLARIS-3, NCT02639338. ..
- Hu P, Hunt N, Arfuso F, Shaw L, Uddin M, Zhu M, et al. Increased Indoleamine 2,3-Dioxygenase and Quinolinic Acid Expression in Microglia and MÃ¼ller Cells of Diabetic Human and Rodent Retina. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2017;58:5043-5055 pubmed publisher..1-fold when compared with controls. Our findings suggest that IDO and QUIN expression in the retinas of diabetic rats and humans could contribute to the neuronal degeneration that is characteristic of diabetic retinopathy. ..
- Lindholm D, Lindback J, Armstrong P, Budaj A, Cannon C, Granger C, et al. Biomarker-Based Risk Model to Predict Cardiovascular Mortality in Patients With Stable Coronary Disease. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2017;70:813-826 pubmed publisher..The Stabilization of Atherosclerotic Plaque by Initiation of Darapladib Therapy Trial [STABILITY]; NCT00799903). ..
- Jayne D, Pigazzi A, Marshall H, Croft J, Corrigan N, Copeland J, et al. Effect of Robotic-Assisted vs Conventional Laparoscopic Surgery on Risk of Conversion to Open Laparotomy Among Patients Undergoing Resection for Rectal Cancer: The ROLARR Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA. 2017;318:1569-1580 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that robotic-assisted laparoscopic surgery, when performed by surgeons with varying experience with robotic surgery, does not confer an advantage in rectal cancer resection. isrctn.org Identifier: ISRCTN80500123. ..
- Saxony J, Cowling L, Catchpole L, Walker N. Evaluation of a smoking cessation service in elective surgery. J Surg Res. 2017;212:33-41 pubmed publisher..The ELECT service appears both feasible and sustainable over time and has a clear impact on helping patients achieve smoking abstinence. ..
- Keating G. Eluxadoline: A Review in Diarrhoea-Predominant Irritable Bowel Syndrome. Drugs. 2017;77:1009-1016 pubmed publisher..Pancreatitis and adverse events consistent with sphincter of Oddi spasm were uncommon. In conclusion, eluxadoline is a new option to consider in the treatment of adult patients with IBS-D. ..