Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on zebrafish in Leiden, South Holland, Netherlands
Locale: Leiden, South Holland, Netherlands
- Masud S, Torraca V, Meijer A. Modeling Infectious Diseases in the Context of a Developing Immune System. Curr Top Dev Biol. 2017;124:277-329 pubmed publisher..These studies are providing a mechanistic basis for developing novel therapeutic approaches to control infectious diseases. ..
- Basters A, Geurink P, RÃ¶cker A, Witting K, Tadayon R, Hess S, et al. Structural basis of the specificity of USP18 toward ISG15. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2017;24:270-278 pubmed publisher..Our results may provide a structural basis for the development of new drugs modulating ISG15 linkage. ..
- Naber H, Drabsch Y, Snaar Jagalska B, Ten Dijke P, van Laar T. Snail and Slug, key regulators of TGF-?-induced EMT, are sufficient for the induction of single-cell invasion. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2013;435:58-63 pubmed publisher..Slug and Snail are sufficient for the induction of single-cell invasion in an in vitro invasion assay and in an embryonic zebrafish xenograft model. ..
- Ali S, Champagne D, Alia A, Richardson M. Large-scale analysis of acute ethanol exposure in zebrafish development: a critical time window and resilience. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e20037 pubmed publisher..We also identify a critical time window (prim-6 and prim-16) for ethanol sensitivity. Finally, our identification of a wide phenotypic spectrum is reminiscent of human FAS, and may provide a useful model for studying disease resilience. ..
- Wiweger M, Zhao Z, van Merkesteyn R, Roehl H, Hogendoorn P. HSPG-deficient zebrafish uncovers dental aspect of multiple osteochondromas. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e29734 pubmed publisher..The presence of the malformed and/or displaced teeth with abnormal enamel was declared by half of the respondents indicating that MO might indeed be also associated with dental problems. ..
- Carvalho R, de Sonneville J, Stockhammer O, Savage N, Veneman W, Ottenhoff T, et al. A high-throughput screen for tuberculosis progression. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e16779 pubmed publisher..Importantly, we use reference compounds to validate our system in the testing of molecules that prevent tuberculosis progression, making it highly suited for investigating novel anti-tuberculosis compounds in vivo. ..
- Ali S, van Mil H, Richardson M. Large-scale assessment of the zebrafish embryo as a possible predictive model in toxicity testing. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e21076 pubmed publisher..However, the correlation between zebrafish and rodent toxicity varies considerably between individual compounds and compound class. We discuss the strengths and limitations of the zebrafish model in light of these findings. ..
- Sharif F, Porta F, Meijer A, Kros A, Richardson M. Mesoporous silica nanoparticles as a compound delivery system in zebrafish embryos. Int J Nanomedicine. 2012;7:1875-90 pubmed publisher..Our results show that MSNPs can be used to deliver bioactive compounds into zebrafish larvae without producing higher mortality or gross evidence of teratogenicity...
- Meijer A, Spaink H. Host-pathogen interactions made transparent with the zebrafish model. Curr Drug Targets. 2011;12:1000-17 pubmed..We summarize recent insights gained from the use of bacterial infection models, particularly the Mycobacterium marinum model that illustrate the potential of the zebrafish model for high-throughput antimicrobial drug screening. ..
- Tulotta C, Stefanescu C, Beletkaia E, Bussmann J, Tarbashevich K, Schmidt T, et al. Inhibition of signaling between human CXCR4 and zebrafish ligands by the small molecule IT1t impairs the formation of triple-negative breast cancer early metastases in a zebrafish xenograft model. Dis Model Mech. 2016;9:141-53 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, we confirm the validity of the zebrafish as a xenotransplantation model and propose a pharmacological approach to target CXCR4 in TNBC. ..
- Zakrzewska A, Cui C, Stockhammer O, Benard E, Spaink H, Meijer A. Macrophage-specific gene functions in Spi1-directed innate immunity. Blood. 2010;116:e1-11 pubmed publisher..Therefore, based on our combined transcriptome analyses, we discovered novel early macrophage-specific marker genes, including a signal transducer pivotal for macrophage migration in the innate immune response. ..
- Ott E, Van Den Akker N, Sakalis P, Gittenberger de Groot A, te Velthuis A, Bagowski C. The lim domain only protein 7 is important in zebrafish heart development. Dev Dyn. 2008;237:3940-52 pubmed publisher..We reveal the temporal and spatial expression patterns of this important gene during mouse, chicken and fish development and our findings suggest essential functions for LMO7 during vertebrate heart development. ..
- Zhang L, Huang H, Zhou F, Schimmel J, Pardo C, Zhang T, et al. RNF12 controls embryonic stem cell fate and morphogenesis in zebrafish embryos by targeting Smad7 for degradation. Mol Cell. 2012;46:650-61 pubmed publisher..The gastrulation defects induced by ectopic and depleted Smad7 were rescued in part by RNF12 gain and loss of function, respectively. These findings demonstrate that RNF12 plays a critical role in TGF-? family signaling. ..
- Henkel C, Dirks R, Jansen H, Forlenza M, Wiegertjes G, Howe K, et al. Comparison of the exomes of common carp (Cyprinus carpio) and zebrafish (Danio rerio). Zebrafish. 2012;9:59-67 pubmed publisher..This supports the hypothesis of an additional genome duplication event in the carp evolutionary history, which--due to a higher degree of compactness--did not result in a genome larger than that of zebrafish. ..
- de Andrea C, Prins F, Wiweger M, Hogendoorn P. Growth plate regulation and osteochondroma formation: insights from tracing proteoglycans in zebrafish models and human cartilage. J Pathol. 2011;224:160-8 pubmed publisher..g., lack of PEI gradients). The cells in the reduced PEI-stained areas are likely associated with loss-of-function mutations in the EXT genes, and they might contribute to tumour initiation by disrupting the gradients...
- van der Vaart M, van Soest J, Spaink H, Meijer A. Functional analysis of a zebrafish myd88 mutant identifies key transcriptional components of the innate immune system. Dis Model Mech. 2013;6:841-54 pubmed publisher..This zebrafish myd88 mutant will be a valuable tool for further study of the role of IL1R and TLR signaling in the innate immunity processes underlying infectious diseases, inflammatory disorders and cancer...
- Marques I, Weiss F, Vlecken D, Nitsche C, Bakkers J, Lagendijk A, et al. Metastatic behaviour of primary human tumours in a zebrafish xenotransplantation model. BMC Cancer. 2009;9:128 pubmed publisher..Our results show that the zebrafish is a useful in vivo animal model for rapid analysis of invasion and metastatic behaviour of primary human tumour specimen. ..
- Zhou F, Xie F, Jin K, Zhang Z, Clerici M, Gao R, et al. USP4 inhibits SMAD4 monoubiquitination and promotes activin and BMP signaling. EMBO J. 2017;36:1623-1639 pubmed publisher..Moreover, zebrafish depleted of USP4 exhibited defective cell migration and slower coordinated cell movement known as epiboly, both of which could be rescued by SMAD4. Therefore, USP4 is a critical determinant of SMAD4 activity. ..