Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on pregnancy in Leiden, South Holland, Netherlands
Locale: Leiden, South Holland, Netherlands
- Moon Grady A, Morris S, Belfort M, Chmait R, Dangel J, Devlieger R, et al. International Fetal Cardiac InterventionÂ Registry: A Worldwide Collaborative Description and PreliminaryÂ Outcomes. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2015;66:388-99 pubmed publisher..We describe the contents of the IFCIR and present post-natal data to suggest potential benefit toÂ fetalÂ therapy among pregnancies considered for possible intervention and support proposals for additional work. ..
- Roest P, Molin D, Schalkwijk C, van Iperen L, Wentzel P, Eriksson U, et al. Specific local cardiovascular changes of Nepsilon-(carboxymethyl)lysine, vascular endothelial growth factor, and Smad2 in the developing embryos coincide with maternal diabetes-induced congenital heart defects. Diabetes. 2009;58:1222-8 pubmed publisher
- van den Berg S, de Boer M, van der Meulen de Jong A, Jansen J, Hoentjen F, Russel M, et al. Safety of Tioguanine During Pregnancy in Inflammatory Bowel Disease. J Crohns Colitis. 2016;10:159-65 pubmed publisher..Both neonates had a low birthweight. This relatively small case series supports safe use of TG in pregnant IBD patients. Still, consideration should be given to the indication and continuation of TG during pregnancy. ..
- van den Broek A, Kok J, Houtzager B, Scherjon S. Behavioural problems at the age of eleven years in preterm-born children with or without fetal brain sparing: a prospective cohort study. Early Hum Dev. 2010;86:379-84 pubmed publisher..80, Apgar scores<7 after 5 min and birth weight<p10 contributed significantly. In this cohort brain sparing itself has no significant association with behavioural problems at eleven years. ..
- Vermeulen E, Solnes Miltenburg A, Barras J, Maselle N, van Elteren M, van Roosmalen J. Opportunities for male involvement during pregnancy in Magu district, rural Tanzania. BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2016;16:66 pubmed publisher..Increasing community awareness and knowledge about the importance of male involvement and increasing accessibility of antenatal clinics can reduce some of the barriers. ..
- Sueters M, Middeldorp J, Lopriore E, Bokenkamp R, Oepkes D, Teunissen K, et al. Fetal cardiac output in monochorionic twins. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol. 2008;32:807-12 pubmed publisher..Monochorionic twins with TTTS have higher CO after laser therapy than normal singletons. ..
- Plaisier M, Rodrigues S, Willems F, Koolwijk P, van Hinsbergh V, Helmerhorst F. Different degrees of vascularization and their relationship to the expression of vascular endothelial growth factor, placental growth factor, angiopoietins, and their receptors in first-trimester decidual tissues. Fertil Steril. 2007;88:176-87 pubmed..The induction of PlGF and Flt-1, and the Ang-2:Ang-1 ratio in DB, suggest that these factors play a role in regulating angiogenesis at the implantation site. ..
- Lopriore E, Bokenkamp R, Rijlaarsdam M, Sueters M, Vandenbussche F, Walther F. Congenital heart disease in twin-to-twin transfusion syndrome treated with fetoscopic laser surgery. Congenit Heart Dis. 2007;2:38-43 pubmed publisher..64). The incidence of CHD in TTTS treated with fetoscopic laser surgery is higher than in the general population (5.4% vs. 0.5%). We found no difference in afterload parameters between donors and recipients after laser treatment. ..
- Hosli E, Elsinga J, Buitendijk S, Assendelft W, van der Pal de Bruin K. Women's motives for not participating in preconception counseling: qualitative study. Community Genet. 2008;11:166-70 pubmed publisher..For successful future implementation of PCC, a more tailored approach may be necessary for certain (groups of) women, addressing the reasons why women do not consider themselves part of the target group for PCC. ..
- van der Lugt N, van de Maat J, Van Kamp I, Knoppert van der Klein E, Hovens J, Walther F. Fetal, neonatal and developmental outcomes of lithium-exposed pregnancies. Early Hum Dev. 2012;88:375-8 pubmed publisher..Growth, behavior and general development were within the normal range. Continuing lithium therapy during pregnancy did not cause adverse effects on growth, neurological, cognitive and behavioral development of exposed children. ..
- Middeldorp S. Pregnancy failure and heritable thrombophilia. Semin Hematol. 2007;44:93-7 pubmed..The role of heritable thrombophilia in pregnancy failure is reviewed, with a focus on recurrent miscarriage, in terms of epidemiology, etiology, and potential therapeutic implications. ..
- Verbeek L, Middeldorp J, Hulzebos C, Oepkes D, Walther F, Lopriore E. Hypoalbuminemia in donors with twin-twin transfusion syndrome. Fetal Diagn Ther. 2013;33:98-102 pubmed publisher..In TTTS treated with laser, donor twins have similar and normal albumin levels compared to recipients, confirming a successfully performed fetoscopic laser procedure. ..
- Zeitlin J, Mortensen L, Prunet C, Macfarlane A, Hindori Mohangoo A, Gissler M, et al. Socioeconomic inequalities in stillbirth rates in Europe: measuring the gap using routine data from the Euro-Peristat Project. BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2016;16:15 pubmed publisher..Further research is needed to better understand differences between countries in the magnitude of the socioeconomic gradient. ..
- Gittenberger de Groot A, Bartelings M, Poelmann R, Haak M, Jongbloed M. Embryology of the heart and its impact on understanding fetal and neonatal heart disease. Semin Fetal Neonatal Med. 2013;18:237-44 pubmed publisher..This review focuses on several novel findings in cardiac development that might enhance our knowledge of aetiology and support refinement of prenatal diagnosis of congenital heart disease. ..
- Lopriore E, Nagel H, Vandenbussche F, Walther F. Long-term neurodevelopmental outcome in twin-to-twin transfusion syndrome. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2003;189:1314-9 pubmed..The incidence of adverse neurodevelopmental outcome in twin-to-twin transfusion syndrome survivors is high, especially after the intrauterine fetal demise of a co-twin. ..
- Van Kamp I, Klumper F, Meerman R, Oepkes D, Scherjon S, Kanhai H. Treatment of fetal anemia due to red-cell alloimmunization with intrauterine transfusions in the Netherlands, 1988-1999. Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 2004;83:731-7 pubmed..To improve the outcome of red-cell alloimmunized pregnancies early diagnosis of fetal anemia and referral to a specialized center are important, enabling the start of treatment before hydrops develops. ..
- Schonewille H, Klumper F, van de Watering L, Kanhai H, Brand A. High additional maternal red cell alloimmunization after Rhesus- and K-matched intrauterine intravascular transfusions for hemolytic disease of the fetus. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2007;196:143.e1-6 pubmed..More extensive IUT donor red cell matching, including FY, JK, and S antigens, to reduce the formation of new red cell antibodies should be explored. ..
- de Vries J, van Zwet E, Dekker F, Kroes A, Verkerk P, Vossen A. The apparent paradox of maternal seropositivity as a risk factor for congenital cytomegalovirus infection: a population-based prediction model. Rev Med Virol. 2013;23:241-9 pubmed publisher..These results imply that prevention research such as vaccine and hygiene studies should not only be directed at seronegative but also seropositive pregnant women. ..
- Roos C, Vis J, Scheepers H, Bloemenkamp K, Duvekot H, van Eyck J, et al. Fetal fibronectin status and cervical length in women with threatened preterm labor and the effectiveness of maintenance tocolysis. J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med. 2016;29:1556-61 pubmed publisher..87 for fFN and 0.18 for CL). Maintenance tocolytic therapy with nifedipine is ineffective and not dependent on fFN or CL status. ..
- Helderman van den Enden A, Madan K, Breuning M, van der Hout A, Bakker E, de Die Smulders C, et al. An urgent need for a change in policy revealed by a study on prenatal testing for Duchenne muscular dystrophy. Eur J Hum Genet. 2013;21:21-6 pubmed publisher..The first step would be to introduce neonatal screening of males. The next is to test females for carrier status if requested, prenatally if fetal DNA is available or postnatally even before adulthood. ..
- van Dillen J, Spaans M, van Keijsteren W, van Dillen M, Vredevoogd C, van Huizen M, et al. A prospective multicenter audit of labor-room episiotomy and anal sphincter injury assessment in the Netherlands. Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2010;108:97-100 pubmed publisher..To improve the recognition and classification of obstetric anal sphincter injuries, audits based on an internationally accredited classification could easily become a part of routine hospital practice. ..
- Sluijs A, Cleiren M, Scherjon S, Wijma K. Does fear of childbirth or family history affect whether pregnant Dutch women prefer a home- or hospital birth?. Midwifery. 2015;31:1143-8 pubmed publisher..These women have higher chance of fear post partum which is related to a higher risk of psychiatric problems. ..
- Zwart J, Richters J, Ory F, de Vries J, Bloemenkamp K, van Roosmalen J. Severe maternal morbidity during pregnancy, delivery and puerperium in the Netherlands: a nationwide population-based study of 371,000 pregnancies. BJOG. 2008;115:842-50 pubmed publisher..71% of all pregnancies in the Netherlands, immigrant women experiencing an increased risk. Since substandard care was found in the majority of assessed cases, reduction of severe maternal morbidity seems a mandatory challenge. ..
- Kaufmann J, Demirel Güngör G, Selles A, Hudig C, Steen G, Ponjee G, et al. Feasibility of nonselective testing for hemoglobinopathies in early pregnancy in The Netherlands. Prenat Diagn. 2011;31:1259-63 pubmed publisher..This is feasible as most women had their booking early in their first trimester. ..
- Harteveld C, Kleanthous M, Traeger Synodinos J. Prenatal diagnosis of hemoglobin disorders: present and future strategies. Clin Biochem. 2009;42:1767-79 pubmed publisher..In addition, it outlines the newer application of preimplantation genetic diagnosis (PGD) and the state of progress in the developing field of non-invasive prenatal diagnosis. ..
- Wagner M, Lopriore E, Klumper F, Oepkes D, Vandenbussche F, Middeldorp J. Short- and long-term outcome in stage 1 twin-to-twin transfusion syndrome treated with laser surgery compared with conservative management. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2009;201:286.e1-6 pubmed publisher..03). In this retrospective study, long-term outcome in stage 1 TTTS was better after laser surgery than with conservative management, suggesting the need for a randomized controlled trial. ..
- Radder J, van Roosmalen J. HbA1c in healthy, pregnant women. Neth J Med. 2005;63:256-9 pubmed..This might implicate that for prevention of congenital malformations and macrosomia in pregnant DM1 women and HbA1C should be below 5% in the first trimester of pregnancy and below 6% in the third trimester. ..
- Visser J, Ulander V, Helmerhorst F, Lampinen K, Morin Papunen L, Bloemenkamp K, et al. Thromboprophylaxis for recurrent miscarriage in women with or without thrombophilia. HABENOX: a randomised multicentre trial. Thromb Haemost. 2011;105:295-301 pubmed publisher..No significant difference in live birth rate was found with enoxaparin treatment versus aspirin or a combination of both versus aspirin in women with recurrent miscarriage. ..
- van Vonderen J, Te Pas A. The first breaths of life: imaging studies of the human infant during neonatal transition. Paediatr Respir Rev. 2015;16:143-6 pubmed publisher..This review will provide an overview of the theories suggested to explain the process of liquid clearance and lung recruitment and also addresses new findings in this field of research. ..
- Nagel H, de Haan T, Vandenbussche F, Oepkes D, Walther F. Long-term outcome after fetal transfusion for hydrops associated with parvovirus B19 infection. Obstet Gynecol. 2007;109:42-7 pubmed..Neurodevelopmental status was abnormal in 5 of 16 survivors and was not related to the severity of fetal anemia and acidemia. We hypothesize that fetal parvovirus B19 infection may induce central nervous system damage. III. ..
- Lopriore E, Middeldorp J, Sueters M, Oepkes D, Vandenbussche F, Walther F. Long-term neurodevelopmental outcome in twin-to-twin transfusion syndrome treated with fetoscopic laser surgery. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2007;196:231.e1-4 pubmed..The incidence of neurodevelopmental impairment in twin-to-twin transfusion syndrome survivors treated with laser is high and warrants long-term follow-up. ..
- Verbeek L, Slaghekke F, Hulzebos C, Oepkes D, Walther F, Lopriore E. Hypoalbuminemia in donors with twin anemia-polycythemia sequence: a matched case-control study. Fetal Diagn Ther. 2013;33:241-5 pubmed publisher..In addition to lower hemoglobin levels, donor twins with TAPS also have significantly lower albumin and total protein levels compared to recipient twins. ..
- Bosma P, van den Berg E, Kooistra T, Siemieniak D, Slightom J. Human plasminogen activator inhibitor-1 gene. Promoter and structural gene nucleotide sequences. J Biol Chem. 1988;263:9129-41 pubmed..These Alu-Pur elements may represent a subset of the more abundant Alu family of repetitive sequence elements. ..
- Smeenk G, de Groot A, Romeijn R, van Buul P, Zdzienicka M, Mullenders L, et al. Rad51C is essential for embryonic development and haploinsufficiency causes increased DNA damage sensitivity and genomic instability. Mutat Res. 2010;689:50-8 pubmed publisher..These results imply that adequate expression of Rad51C in mammalian cells is essential for maintaining genomic stability and sister chromatid cohesion to prevent malignant transformation...
- Pierik F, Klebanoff M, Brock J, Longnecker M. Maternal pregnancy serum level of heptachlor epoxide, hexachlorobenzene, and beta-hexachlorocyclohexane and risk of cryptorchidism in offspring. Environ Res. 2007;105:364-9 pubmed..These results provide little support for an association of cryptorchidism with exposure to low levels of HCE or HCB. For beta-HCCH the findings were somewhat suggestive of an association but were inconclusive. ..
- Caram Deelder C, Kreuger A, Evers D, de Vooght K, van de Kerkhof D, Visser O, et al. Association of Blood Transfusion From Female Donors With and Without a History of Pregnancy With Mortality Among Male and Female Transfusion Recipients. JAMA. 2017;318:1471-1478 pubmed publisher..Transfusion of red blood cells from female donors has been associated with increased mortality in male recipients...
- Koskimaa H, Paaso A, Welters M, GrÃ©nman S, SyrjÃ¤nen K, van der Burg S, et al. The presence of human papillomavirus (HPV) in placenta and/or cord blood might result in Th2 polarization. Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis. 2017;36:1491-1503 pubmed publisher..The cytokine profile in children infected with HPV16 during early life suggests that the viral dose and/or specific environment created by the placenta may have significant impact on the type of HPV-specific immunity. ..
- Solnes Miltenburg A, Kiritta R, Bishanga T, van Roosmalen J, Stekelenburg J. Assessing emergency obstetric and newborn care: can performance indicators capture health system weaknesses?. BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2017;17:92 pubmed publisher..Improving assessment approaches, to look beyond the signal functions, can capture weaknesses in the system and will help to understand poor performance and identify locally applicable ways for improvement. ..
- Narayen I, Kaptein A, Hogewoning J, Blom N, Te Pas A. Maternal acceptability of pulse oximetry screening at home after home birth or very early discharge. Eur J Pediatr. 2017;176:669-672 pubmed publisher..What is New: • Pulse oximetry screening for critical congenital heart defects is also acceptable for mothers when the screening is performed at home. ..
- Roest P, Bout M, van der Tuijn A, Ginjaar I, Bakker E, Hogervorst F, et al. Splicing mutations in DMD/BMD detected by RT-PCR/PTT: detection of a 19AA insertion in the cysteine rich domain of dystrophin compatible with BMD. J Med Genet. 1996;33:935-9 pubmed
- Fleuren M, van der Meulen M, Wijkel D. Do patients matter? Contribution of patient and care provider characteristics to the adherence of general practitioners and midwives to the Dutch national guidelines on imminent miscarriage. Qual Health Care. 2000;9:106-10 pubmed
- Kaufmann J, Krapels I, Van Brussel B, Zekveld Vroon R, Oosterwijk J, Van Erp F, et al. After the introduction into the national newborn screening program: who is receiving genetic counseling for hemoglobinopathies in the Netherlands?. Public Health Genomics. 2014;17:16-22 pubmed publisher..This study was performed to determine how often parents of identified carriers and affected newborns are seen in genetic centers for counseling...
- de Jong Potjer L, Elsinga J, le Cessie S, van der Pal de Bruin K, Neven A, Buitendijk S, et al. GP-initiated preconception counselling in a randomised controlled trial does not induce anxiety. BMC Fam Pract. 2006;7:66 pubmed..We therefore conclude that GPs can offer PCC to the general population without fear of causing anxiety. ..
- Mohangoo A, Buitendijk S, Szamotulska K, Chalmers J, Irgens L, Bolumar F, et al. Gestational age patterns of fetal and neonatal mortality in Europe: results from the Euro-Peristat project. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e24727 pubmed publisher..These disparities raise questions for future research about the effectiveness of medical policies and care in European countries. ..
- Deurloo K, Devlieger R, Lopriore E, Klumper F, Oepkes D. Isolated fetal hydrothorax with hydrops: a systematic review of prenatal treatment options. Prenat Diagn. 2007;27:893-9 pubmed..To evaluate the effect of prenatal therapeutic interventions on perinatal outcome in pregnancies complicated by isolated fetal hydrothorax with hydrops...
- Feitsma A, Worthington J, van der Helm van Mil A, Plant D, Thomson W, Ursum J, et al. Protective effect of noninherited maternal HLA-DR antigens on rheumatoid arthritis development. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:19966-70 pubmed..25; P = 0.003). These data show a protective NIMA-effect in a human autoimmune disease and indicate that a DERAA-positive mother can transfer protection against RA to her DERAA-negative child. ..
- Dobrova Krol N, van IJzendoorn M, Bakermans Kranenburg M, Juffer F. Effects of perinatal HIV infection and early institutional rearing on physical and cognitive development of children in Ukraine. Child Dev. 2010;81:237-51 pubmed publisher..The impact of the quality of child care on physical and cognitive development is discussed in light of future interventions. ..
- Amelink Verburg M, Rijnders M, Buitendijk S. A trend analysis in referrals during pregnancy and labour in Dutch midwifery care 1988-2004. BJOG. 2009;116:923-32 pubmed publisher..To assess the trends and patterns of referral from midwives to obstetricians within the Dutch maternity care system from 1988 to 2004, and the differences in referral patterns between nulliparous and parous women...
- Heijmans B, Tobi E, Stein A, Putter H, Blauw G, Susser E, et al. Persistent epigenetic differences associated with prenatal exposure to famine in humans. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:17046-9 pubmed publisher..These data are the first to contribute empirical support for the hypothesis that early-life environmental conditions can cause epigenetic changes in humans that persist throughout life. ..
- Lanting C, van Wouwe J, van den Burg I, Segaar D, van der Pal de Bruin K. [Smoking during pregnancy: trends between 2001 and 2010]. Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd. 2012;156:A5092 pubmed..To establish trends in the prevalence of smoking during pregnancy between 2001 and 2010 and to relate these to differences in educational gradient in the Netherlands...
- Witteveen T, van Stralen G, Zwart J, van Roosmalen J. Puerperal uterine inversion in the Netherlands: a nationwide cohort study. Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 2013;92:334-7 pubmed publisher..With the reported associated factors and occurrence in women with a low-risk profile, we show that every birth attendant should be able to detect this rare but severe complication...
- Anthony S, Kateman H, Brand R, den Ouden A, Dorrepaal C, van der Pal de Bruin K, et al. Ethnic differences in congenital malformations in the Netherlands: analyses of a 5-year birth cohort. Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol. 2005;19:135-44 pubmed..For Mediterranean women, the largest and fastest growing group of immigrants in the Netherlands, this study demonstrated an increased risk of congenital malformations. ..
- van Dongen H, Klumper F, Sikkel E, Vandenbussche F, Oepkes D. Non-invasive tests to predict fetal anemia in Kell-alloimmunized pregnancies. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol. 2005;25:341-5 pubmed..To compare test characteristics of ultrasound and Doppler parameters in the prediction of fetal anemia in Kell-alloimmunized pregnancies...
- Sluijs A, Cleiren M, Scherjon S, Wijma K. No relationship between fear of childbirth and pregnancy-/delivery-outcome in a low-risk Dutch pregnancy cohort delivering at home or in hospital. J Psychosom Obstet Gynaecol. 2012;33:99-105 pubmed publisher..We did find a positive relationship between both parity and medical interventions during childbirth and FOC postpartum. ..
- van Langevelde K, Flinterman L, van Hylckama Vlieg A, Rosendaal F, Cannegieter S. Broadening the factor V Leiden paradox: pulmonary embolism and deep-vein thrombosis as 2 sides of the spectrum. Blood. 2012;120:933-46 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that pulmonary embolism and DVT may not always have the same etiology, and encourage unraveling this phenomenon in further studies. ..
- Cohen D, Colvin R, Daha M, Drachenberg C, Haas M, Nickeleit V, et al. Pros and cons for C4d as a biomarker. Kidney Int. 2012;81:628-39 pubmed publisher..This review provides an overview of the past, present, and future perspectives of C4d as a biomarker, focusing on its use in solid organ transplantation and discussing its possible new roles in autoimmunity and pregnancy. ..
- van den Oever J, Balkassmi S, Verweij E, van Iterson M, Adama van Scheltema P, Oepkes D, et al. Single molecule sequencing of free DNA from maternal plasma for noninvasive trisomy 21 detection. Clin Chem. 2012;58:699-706 pubmed publisher..With this approach, previously described experimental noise associated with PCR amplification, such as GC bias, can be overcome. ..
- Plaisier M, Streefland E, Koolwijk P, van Hinsbergh V, Helmerhorst F, Erwich J. Angiogenic growth factors and their receptors in first-trimester human decidua of pregnancies further complicated by preeclampsia or fetal growth restriction. Reprod Sci. 2008;15:720-6 pubmed publisher..This, in turn, may unintentionally set the stage for increased angiogenesis and altered decidual/placental vascular adaptation, which may be part of the pathogenesis of PE and/or FGR. ..
- Klumper F, van Kamp I, Vandenbussche F, Meerman R, Oepkes D, Scherjon S, et al. Benefits and risks of fetal red-cell transfusion after 32 weeks gestation. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 2000;92:91-6 pubmed..To compare the outcome after intrauterine transfusion (IUT) between fetuses treated before and those treated after 32 weeks gestation...
- Zwart J, Richters J, Ory F, de Vries J, Bloemenkamp K, van Roosmalen J. Uterine rupture in The Netherlands: a nationwide population-based cohort study. BJOG. 2009;116:1069-78; discussion 1078-80 pubmed publisher..To assess incidence of uterine rupture in scarred and unscarred uteri and its maternal and fetal complications in a nationwide design...
- Mol F, van Mello N, Strandell A, Strandell K, Jurkovic D, Ross J, et al. Salpingotomy versus salpingectomy in women with tubal pregnancy (ESEP study): an open-label, multicentre, randomised controlled trial. Lancet. 2014;383:1483-1489 pubmed publisher..We aimed to assess whether salpingotomy would improve rates of ongoing pregnancy by natural conception compared with salpingectomy...
- de Gruijter J, van Lieshout L, Gasser R, Verweij J, Brienen E, Ziem J, et al. Polymerase chain reaction-based differential diagnosis of Ancylostoma duodenale and Necator americanus infections in humans in northern Ghana. Trop Med Int Health. 2005;10:574-80 pubmed..duodenale infection in humans in Ghana, having implications for epidemiological studies and for the monitoring of the success of control programmes in regions in Africa...
- Thangaratinam S, Allotey J, Marlin N, Dodds J, Cheong See F, von Dadelszen P, et al. Prediction of complications in early-onset pre-eclampsia (PREP): development and external multinational validation of prognostic models. BMC Med. 2017;15:68 pubmed publisher..They have a potential role in triaging high-risk mothers who may need transfer to tertiary units for intensive maternal and neonatal care. ISRCTN40384046 , retrospectively registered. ..
- van Exel E, Koopman J, Bodegom D, Meij J, Knijff P, Ziem J, et al. Effect of APOE ?4 allele on survival and fertility in an adverse environment. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0179497 pubmed publisher..Its adverse associations in affluent modern populations with later onset diseases of aging further characterize APOE-?4 as an example of antagonistic pleiotropy. ..
- Smit P, van der Vlis T, Mabey D, Changalucha J, Mngara J, Clark B, et al. The development and validation of dried blood spots for external quality assurance of syphilis serology. BMC Infect Dis. 2013;13:102 pubmed publisher..0% (95% CI: 98.1-99.5%) compared to TPPA using plasma samples as a reference. DBS samples can be recommended for use with TPPA, and may be of value for external quality assurance of point-of-care syphilis testing. ..
- Bokenkamp R, Raz V, Venema A, DeRuiter M, van Munsteren C, Olive M, et al. Differential temporal and spatial progerin expression during closure of the ductus arteriosus in neonates. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e23975 pubmed publisher..We suggest that activation of LMNA alternative splicing is involved in vascular remodeling in the circulatory system during normal neonatal DA closure. ..
- Van Eldik W, Beqqali A, Monshouwer Kloots J, Mummery C, Passier R. Cytoskeletal heart-enriched actin-associated protein (CHAP) is expressed in striated and smooth muscle cells in chick and mouse during embryonic and adult stages. Int J Dev Biol. 2011;55:649-55 pubmed publisher..Moreover, besides expression in striated muscle, we demonstrate that CHAP is expressed in smooth muscle cells of aorta, carotid and coronary arteries in adult mice, but not during embryonic development. ..
- Schonkeren D, van der Hoorn M, Khedoe P, Swings G, van Beelen E, Claas F, et al. Differential distribution and phenotype of decidual macrophages in preeclamptic versus control pregnancies. Am J Pathol. 2011;178:709-17 pubmed publisher..CD14(+) macrophages did express Flt-1. Alterations in distribution and phenotype of macrophages in the decidua of preterm preeclamptic pregnancies compared with control pregnancies may contribute to the pathogenesis of preeclampsia...
- Lopriore E, Lewi L, Oepkes D, Debeer A, Vandenbussche F, Deprest J, et al. In utero acquired limb ischemia in monochorionic twins with and without twin-to-twin transfusion syndrome. Prenat Diagn. 2008;28:800-4 pubmed publisher..To report on the occurrence of in utero acquired limb ischemia in two referral institutions managing monochorionic (MC) twins with and without twin-to-twin transfusion syndrome (TTTS) and estimate its prevalence...
- Van Gameren Oosterom H, Buitendijk S, Bilardo C, van der Pal de Bruin K, van Wouwe J, Mohangoo A. Unchanged prevalence of Down syndrome in the Netherlands: results from an 11-year nationwide birth cohort. Prenat Diagn. 2012;32:1035-40 pubmed publisher..011) was offset by a significant increase in the proportion of DS births at <24 weeks among women aged <36 years (p = 0.013). The proportion of DS births in the Netherlands has not changed during the period 1997-2007. ..
- van Roosmalen J. Symphysiotomy as an alternative to cesarean section. Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 1987;25:451-8 pubmed..In contrast with findings reported in the literature, a history of previous symphysiotomy still constitutes a high obstetrical risk. The author concludes that symphysiotomy has a place in the management of cephalopelvic disproportion. ..
- Madan K. Balanced complex chromosome rearrangements: reproductive aspects. A review. Am J Med Genet A. 2012;158A:947-63 pubmed publisher..This analysis provides a better understanding of the reproductive consequences for carriers of balanced CCRs and should be useful in prenatal diagnosis and genetic counseling. ..
- Versantvoort A, van Roosmalen J, Radder J. Course of HbA1c in non-diabetic pregnancy related to birth weight. Neth J Med. 2013;71:22-5 pubmed..Secondly we investigated whether changes in HbA1c values in the course of pregnancy are associated with birth weight...
- van Elderen T, Mutlu D, Karstanje J, Passchier J, Tibben A, Duivenvoorden H. Turkish female immigrants' intentions to participate in preconception carrier screening for hemoglobinopathies in the Netherlands: an empirical study. Public Health Genomics. 2010;13:415-23 pubmed publisher..Preconception carrier screening for hemoglobinopathies (HbPs) is debated in the Netherlands...
- Talens R, Jukema J, Trompet S, Kremer D, Westendorp R, Lumey L, et al. Hypermethylation at loci sensitive to the prenatal environment is associated with increased incidence of myocardial infarction. Int J Epidemiol. 2012;41:106-15 pubmed publisher..Methylation at IL10, LEP, ABCA1, IGF2, INS and GNASAS was measured in DNA extracted from leucocytes using mass spectrometry...
- van der Hoorn M, Lashley E, Bianchi D, Claas F, Schonkeren C, Scherjon S. Clinical and immunologic aspects of egg donation pregnancies: a systematic review. Hum Reprod Update. 2010;16:704-12 pubmed publisher..Knowledge of the immune system in ED pregnancies has broader significance, as it may also give insight into immunologic aspects of tolerance in solid organ transplantation. ..
- Tobi E, Slagboom P, van Dongen J, Kremer D, Stein A, Putter H, et al. Prenatal famine and genetic variation are independently and additively associated with DNA methylation at regulatory loci within IGF2/H19. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e37933 pubmed publisher..5 standard deviations relative to the variation in the population. Our analyses suggest that environmental and genetic factors could have independent and additive similarly sized effects on DNA methylation at the same regulatory site. ..
- Oepkes D, Devlieger R, Lopriore E, Klumper F. Successful ultrasound-guided laser treatment of fetal hydrops caused by pulmonary sequestration. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol. 2007;29:457-9 pubmed..It is therefore important to utilize color Doppler ultrasound imaging for identification of a systemic feeding blood vessel in solid fetal lung tumors. Published by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd...
- Boon E, Faas B. Benefits and limitations of whole genome versus targeted approaches for noninvasive prenatal testing for fetal aneuploidies. Prenat Diagn. 2013;33:563-8 pubmed publisher..This review summarizes the different MPS approaches, their benefits and limitations and discusses the implications for future noninvasive prenatal testing. ..
- Teunissen K, Lopriore E, Nijman R, Brouwer P, Van Kamp I. Silent uterine rupture, an unusual cause of anhydramnios. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2007;196:e8-9 pubmed..The absence of clinical symptoms strongly suggests a preexisting weak spot in the uterine wall, presumably resulting from an unrecognized perforation at a previous curettage procedure...
- Pomp E, Lenselink A, Rosendaal F, Doggen C. Pregnancy, the postpartum period and prothrombotic defects: risk of venous thrombosis in the MEGA study. J Thromb Haemost. 2008;6:632-7 pubmed publisher..The risk of pregnancy-associated venous thrombosis was highly increased in carriers of factor V Leiden or the prothrombin 20210A mutation. ..
- van der Pal de Bruin K, de Walle H, Jeeninga W, de Rover C, Cornel M, De Jong van den Berg L, et al. The Dutch 'Folic Acid Campaign'--have the goals been achieved?. Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol. 2000;14:111-7 pubmed..New health education programmes are needed to increase further its use at the appropriate times. ..
- Anthony S, Jacobusse G, van der Pal de Bruin K, Buitendijk S, Zeitlin J. Do differences in maternal age, parity and multiple births explain variations in fetal and neonatal mortality rates in Europe?--Results from the EURO-PERISTAT project. Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol. 2009;23:292-300 pubmed publisher
- Elsinga J, de Jong Potjer L, van der Pal de Bruin K, le Cessie S, Assendelft W, Buitendijk S. The effect of preconception counselling on lifestyle and other behaviour before and during pregnancy. Womens Health Issues. 2008;18:S117-25 pubmed publisher..77; 95% CI, 0.48-1.22). After PCC, women have more knowledge about essential items. Importantly, they gained this greater knowledge before pregnancy and more women changed their behavior to reduce adverse pregnancy outcomes. ..
- Verweij E, Jacobsson B, van Scheltema P, de Boer M, Hoffer M, Hollemon D, et al. European non-invasive trisomy evaluation (EU-NITE) study: a multicenter prospective cohort study for non-invasive fetal trisomy 21 testing. Prenat Diagn. 2013;33:996-1001 pubmed publisher..To evaluate the performance of a directed non-invasive prenatal testing method of cell-free DNA analysis for fetal trisomy 21 (T21) by shipping the whole blood samples from Europe to a laboratory in the USA...
- Elsinga J, van der Pal de Bruin K, le Cessie S, de Jong Potjer L, Verloove Vanhorick S, Assendelft W. Preconception counselling initiated by general practitioners in the Netherlands: reaching couples contemplating pregnancy [ISRCTN53942912]. BMC Fam Pract. 2006;7:41 pubmed..In order to increase this number, methods should be developed to decrease the exclusion of women by the GPs and to increase women's response. ..