Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on humans in Leiden, South Holland, Netherlands
Locale: Leiden, South Holland, Netherlands
Publications838 found, 100 shown here
- Jepma M, Deinum J, Asplund C, Rombouts S, Tamsma J, Tjeerdema N, et al. Neurocognitive function in dopamine-?-hydroxylase deficiency. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2011;36:1608-19 pubmed publisher..The largely spared neurocognitive function in D?H-deficient patients suggests that other neuromodulators have taken over the function of norepinephrine in the brains of these patients. ..
- van Dijk R, Engels C, Schaapherder A, Mulder Stapel A, ten Dijke P, Hamming J, et al. Visualizing TGF-Î² and BMP signaling in human atherosclerosis: a histological evaluation based on Smad activation. Histol Histopathol. 2012;27:387-96 pubmed publisher..Activation of the TGF-Î² and BMP pathways is an early event in atherosclerotic lesion formation. No significant relationships were found between Smad phosphorylation and vessel wall inflammation or plaque vulnerability. ..
- Vahrmeijer A, Hutteman M, van der Vorst J, Van De Velde C, Frangioni J. Image-guided cancer surgery using near-infrared fluorescence. Nat Rev Clin Oncol. 2013;10:507-18 pubmed publisher..Although NIR seems to be superior to many traditional imaging techniques, its incorporation into routine care of patients with cancer depends on rigorous clinical trials and validation studies. ..
- den Boer S, Joosten K, van den Berg S, Backx A, Tanke R, Sarvaas G, et al. Prospective Evaluation of Sleep Apnea as Manifestation of Heart Failure in Children. Pediatr Cardiol. 2016;37:248-54 pubmed publisher..No relation was found with the severity of heart failure. In a small subset of children with severe DCM, a pattern mimicking Cheyne-Stokes respiration was registered. ..
- Metz J, StaÅˆkovÃ¡ K, Johansson J. The canonical equation of adaptive dynamics for life histories: from fitness-returns to selection gradients and Pontryagin's maximum principle. J Math Biol. 2016;72:1125-52 pubmed publisher..and Parvinen et al. ..
- Johnson M, Kozielska M, Pilla Reddy V, Vermeulen A, Barton H, Grimwood S, et al. Translational Modeling in Schizophrenia: Predicting Human Dopamine D2 Receptor Occupancy. Pharm Res. 2016;33:1003-17 pubmed publisher..The rat hybrid PBPKPD model structure, integrated with in vitro information and human pharmacokinetic and physiological information, constitutes a scientific basis to predict the time course of D2RO in man. ..
- Eising E, Huisman S, Mahfouz A, Vijfhuizen L, Anttila V, Winsvold B, et al. Gene co-expression analysis identifies brain regions and cell types involved in migraine pathophysiology: a GWAS-based study using the Allen Human Brain Atlas. Hum Genet. 2016;135:425-439 pubmed publisher..Signatures of all brain regions and pathways that were prominent in the first method also surfaced in the second method, thus providing support that these brain regions and pathways are indeed involved in migraine pathophysiology. ..
- Breukink M, Mohabati D, van Dijk E, den Hollander A, de Jong E, Dijkman G, et al. Efficacy of photodynamic therapy in steroid-associated chronic central serous chorioretinopathy: a case-control study. Acta Ophthalmol. 2016;94:565-72 pubmed publisher..Continuation of corticosteroids at the time of PDT treatment does not seem to adversely affect PDT response. ..
- de Graaf Y, Kennedy C, Wolterbeek R, Collen A, Willemze R, Bouwes Bavinck J. Photodynamic therapy does not prevent cutaneous squamous-cell carcinoma in organ-transplant recipients: results of a randomized-controlled trial. J Invest Dermatol. 2006;126:569-74 pubmed..No long-term adverse events were noted. In conclusion, PDT does not appear to prevent the occurrence of new squamous-cell carcinomas in organ-transplant recipients, but to some degree, reduces the increase of keratotic skin lesions. ..
- Poelmann R, Gittenberger de Groot A. Apoptosis as an instrument in cardiovascular development. Birth Defects Res C Embryo Today. 2005;75:305-13 pubmed..In general, high shear stress protects against apoptosis, thus preventing the onset of disease processes in the fully-grown vasculature, and regulating the remodeling of the vascular system in the embryo. ..
- Bot I, de Jager S, Zernecke A, Lindstedt K, Van Berkel T, Weber C, et al. Perivascular mast cells promote atherogenesis and induce plaque destabilization in apolipoprotein E-deficient mice. Circulation. 2007;115:2516-25 pubmed..We propose that mast cell stabilization could be a new therapeutic approach to the prevention of acute coronary syndromes. ..
- de Greef J, Lemmers R, van Engelen B, Sacconi S, Venance S, Frants R, et al. Common epigenetic changes of D4Z4 in contraction-dependent and contraction-independent FSHD. Hum Mutat. 2009;30:1449-59 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, we describe two ways to develop FSHD: (1) contraction-dependent or (2) contraction-independent D4Z4 hypomethylation on the 4qA161 subtelomere. ..
- Toorenvliet B, Swank H, Schoones J, Hamming J, Bemelman W. Laparoscopic peritoneal lavage for perforated colonic diverticulitis: a systematic review. Colorectal Dis. 2010;12:862-7 pubmed publisher..The published papers do, however, show promising results, with high efficacy, low mortality, low morbidity and a minimal need for a colostomy. ..
- Wijnmaalen A, Delgado V, Schalij M, van Huls van Taxis C, Holman E, Bax J, et al. Beneficial effects of catheter ablation on left ventricular and right ventricular function in patients with frequent premature ventricular contractions and preserved ejection fraction. Heart. 2010;96:1275-80 pubmed publisher..Frequent PVCs can induce subtle cardiac dysfunction detected by speckle tracking imaging analysis in patients without apparent cardiomyopathy. RFCA can successfully eliminate PVCs and improve cardiac function. ..
- Pieterse A, Henselmans I, de Haes H, Koning C, Geijsen E, Smets E. Shared decision making: prostate cancer patients' appraisal of treatment alternatives and oncologists' eliciting and responding behavior, an explorative study. Patient Educ Couns. 2011;85:e251-9 pubmed publisher..Clinicians should request patient appraisals and ascertain whether these seem well-informed before making treatment recommendations. ..
- Seidel U, Oliveira C, Lampen M, Hall T. A novel category of antigens enabling CTL immunity to tumor escape variants: Cinderella antigens. Cancer Immunol Immunother. 2012;61:119-25 pubmed publisher..TEIPP-specific CTLs and their cognate peptide-epitopes provide a new strategy to counteract immune evasion by APM defects and bear potential to targeting escape variants observed in a wide range of cancers. ..
- van Reedt Dortland A, Giltay E, van Veen T, Zitman F, Penninx B. Longitudinal relationship of depressive and anxiety symptoms with dyslipidemia and abdominal obesity. Psychosom Med. 2013;75:83-9 pubmed publisher..Therefore, such people are at elongated and increasing risk for dyslipidemia and obesity, predisposing them to cardiovascular disease. ..
- Dawadi P, Lugtenburg J. Access to any site directed stable isotope ((2)H, (13)C, (15)N, (17)O and (18)O) in genetically encoded amino acids. Molecules. 2013;18:482-519 pubmed publisher..In this paper the synthetic schemes and the stable isotope enriched building blocks that are available via commercially available stable isotope enriched starting materials are described. ..
- Hanemaaijer R, Visser H, Konttinen Y, Koolwijk P, Verheijen J. A novel and simple immunocapture assay for determination of gelatinase-B (MMP-9) activities in biological fluids: saliva from patients with Sjögren's syndrome contain increased latent and active gelatinase-B levels. Matrix Biol. 1998;17:657-65 pubmed
- Verschuren L, Lindeman J, van Bockel J, Abdul Hussien H, Kooistra T, Kleemann R. Up-regulation and coexpression of MIF and matrix metalloproteinases in human abdominal aortic aneurysms. Antioxid Redox Signal. 2005;7:1195-202 pubmed..The up-regulation of aneurysmal MIF/MMP expression was associated with an increased content of cytotoxic T cells. ..
- Ziem J, Olsen A, Magnussen P, Horton J, Spannbrucker N, Yelifari L, et al. Annual mass treatment with albendazole might eliminate human oesophagostomiasis from the endemic focus in northern Ghana. Trop Med Int Health. 2006;11:1759-63 pubmed
- Makras P, Hamdy N, Kant S, Papapoulos S. Normal growth and muscle dysfunction in X-linked hypophosphatemic rickets associated with a novel mutation in the PHEX gene. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2008;93:1386-9 pubmed publisher..The pathophysiological basis of this phenotype-genotype association warrants further investigation. ..
- Watson P, Vasen H, Mecklin J, Bernstein I, Aarnio M, Jarvinen H, et al. The risk of extra-colonic, extra-endometrial cancer in the Lynch syndrome. Int J Cancer. 2008;123:444-449 pubmed publisher..Other cancer types studied occur too infrequently to justify strenuous cancer control interventions...
- Lange M, Maas C, Marijnen C, Wiggers T, Rutten H, Kranenbarg E, et al. Urinary dysfunction after rectal cancer treatment is mainly caused by surgery. Br J Surg. 2008;95:1020-8 pubmed publisher..82, P = 0.024) were independent risk factors. PRT was not associated with UD. UD is a significant clinical problem after rectal cancer treatment and is not related to PRT, but rather to surgical nerve damage. ..
- Verduijn M, Prein R, Stenvinkel P, Carrero J, le Cessie S, Witasp A, et al. Is fetuin-A a mortality risk factor in dialysis patients or a mere risk marker? A Mendelian randomization approach. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2011;26:239-45 pubmed publisher..Other risk factors, including inflammation and diabetes, might lead to lower fetuin-A levels, and/or modify the effect of low fetuin-A on mortality in end-stage renal disease patients. ..
- Van der Heiden K, Egorova A, Poelmann R, Wentzel J, Hierck B. Role for primary cilia as flow detectors in the cardiovascular system. Int Rev Cell Mol Biol. 2011;290:87-119 pubmed publisher..This review will cover their occurrence and elaborate on established and possible functions of primary cilia in the cardiovascular system...
- Liem M, Vinkers D. [Homicide committed by psychotic defendants in the Netherlands]. Tijdschr Psychiatr. 2012;54:509-16 pubmed..Homicide committed by psychotic patients is relatively rare in the Netherlands, but it does occur. Early, continuous treatment of psychotic illness might help to prevent patients with a psychotic disorder from committing homicide. ..
- van Steenbergen E, Van Dongen J, Wendel Vos G, Hildebrandt V, Strijk J. Insights into the concept of vitality: associations with participation and societal costs. Eur J Public Health. 2016;26:354-9 pubmed publisher..This may stimulate research on interventions enhancing and maintaining vitality and thereby contributing to improved participation and reduced costs. ..
- Brink M, Hansson M, Mathsson Alm L, Wijayatunga P, Verheul M, Trouw L, et al. Rheumatoid factor isotypes in relation to antibodies against citrullinated peptides and carbamylated proteins before the onset of rheumatoid arthritis. Arthritis Res Ther. 2016;18:43 pubmed publisher..RF isotypes predicted the development of RA, particularly in combination with ACPA, anti-CCP2 or anti-CarP antibodies. The highest probability for disease development was the presence of anti-CCP2 and anti-filaggrin antibodies. ..
- Kroes A, de Klerk E, Lankester A, Malipaard C, de Brouwer C, Claas E, et al. Sequential emergence of multiple adenovirus serotypes after pediatric stem cell transplantation. J Clin Virol. 2007;38:341-7 pubmed..Adenovirus serotype 31 was often included. This finding is relevant for diagnostic purposes and immunotherapeutic interventions and provides insight into the pathogenesis of this problem. ..
- Kloth J, Kenter G, Spijker H, Uljee S, Corver W, Jordanova E, et al. Expression of Smad2 and Smad4 in cervical cancer: absent nuclear Smad4 expression correlates with poor survival. Mod Pathol. 2008;21:866-75 pubmed publisher..003 and P=0.003, respectively) and overall 5-year survival (P=0.003 and P=0.010, respectively). Our findings support the hypothesis that Smad4 is a target molecule for functional inactivation in cervical cancer. ..
- Plasmeijer E, Green A, de Koning M, O Rourke P, Quint W, Feltkamp M, et al. Transmission of betapapillomaviruses between domestic partners in an Australian community. J Clin Virol. 2010;47:216-8 pubmed publisher..28 (95% CI 0.21-0.35) and for the matched control pairs 0.16 (95% CI 0.12-0.20) (p<0.001). Our results support the hypothesis that skin-to-skin contact is the primary means of betapapillomavirus transmission. ..
- Dezentjé V, van Blijderveen N, Gelderblom H, Putter H, van Herk Sukel M, Casparie M, et al. Effect of concomitant CYP2D6 inhibitor use and tamoxifen adherence on breast cancer recurrence in early-stage breast cancer. J Clin Oncol. 2010;28:2423-9 pubmed publisher..This study shows, to the best of our knowledge for the first time, that poor tamoxifen adherence is associated with an increased risk of breast cancer events. ..
- Enciso Mora V, Broderick P, Ma Y, Jarrett R, Hjalgrim H, Hemminki K, et al. A genome-wide association study of Hodgkin's lymphoma identifies new susceptibility loci at 2p16.1 (REL), 8q24.21 and 10p14 (GATA3). Nat Genet. 2010;42:1126-1130 pubmed publisher..70, combined P = 2.84 × 10(-50)). These data provide new insight into the pathogenesis of cHL...
- Kemaladewi D, de Gorter D, Aartsma Rus A, van Ommen G, Ten Dijke P, t Hoen P, et al. Cell-type specific regulation of myostatin signaling. FASEB J. 2012;26:1462-72 pubmed publisher..Together, our results identify a molecular mechanism that explains the cell-type specific aspects of signaling by myostatin and other TGF-? family members. ..
- Zauner G, Hoffmann M, Rapp E, Koeleman C, Dragan I, Deelder A, et al. Glycoproteomic analysis of human fibrinogen reveals novel regions of O-glycosylation. J Proteome Res. 2012;11:5804-14 pubmed publisher..Moreover, we describe seven novel O-glycosylation regions in human fibrinogen, all occupied by a monosialylated T-antigen. Our findings may help to improve the general understanding of human fibrinogen in the blood clotting process. ..
- Johnson N, Lemmens B, Tijsterman M. A role for the malignant brain tumour (MBT) domain protein LIN-61 in DNA double-strand break repair by homologous recombination. PLoS Genet. 2013;9:e1003339 pubmed publisher..elegans somatic cells, we show that LIN-61 contributes to HR. The involvement of this MBT protein in HR raises the possibility that MBT-deficient tumours may also have defective DSB repair. ..
- Veltman C, Beeres S, Kalkman D, Kelder T, Kies P, Vliegen H, et al. Variation in coronary anatomy in adult patients late after arterial switch operation: a computed tomography coronary angiography study. Ann Thorac Surg. 2013;96:1390-1397 pubmed publisher..Neoaortic root dilation and a higher coronary takeoff may explain part of the pathophysiology. Long-term follow-up is needed to determine the clinical significance of these findings. ..
- Eder S, Labopin M, Arcese W, Or R, Majolino I, Bacigalupo A, et al. Thiotepa-based versus total body irradiation-based myeloablative conditioning prior to allogeneic stem cell transplantation for acute myeloid leukaemia in first complete remission: a retrospective analysis from the Acute Leukemia Working Party of the. Eur J Haematol. 2016;96:90-7 pubmed publisher..95) and 61.4% vs. 58% (P = 0.72), respectively. Myeloablative regimens using combinations including thiotepa can provide satisfactory outcomes, but the optimal conditioning remains unclear for the individual patient in this setting. ..
- Deckers M, Smits P, Karperien M, Ni J, Tylzanowski P, Feng P, et al. Recombinant human extracellular matrix protein 1 inhibits alkaline phosphatase activity and mineralization of mouse embryonic metatarsals in vitro. Bone. 2001;28:14-20 pubmed..These results suggest that Ecm1a acts as a novel negative regulator of endochondral bone formation. ..
- van Vlierberghe R, Sandel M, Prins F, van Iersel L, Van De Velde C, Tollenaar R, et al. Four-color staining combining fluorescence and brightfield microscopy for simultaneous immune cell phenotyping and localization in tumor tissue sections. Microsc Res Tech. 2005;67:15-21 pubmed..This combination of techniques provides a powerful tool for detailed multiparameter microscopic analysis of formalin-fixed, paraffin-embedded tissue sections in general and for tumor-immune cell infiltration in particular. ..
- van de Kamp J, van der Smagt J, Bos C, van Haeringen A, Hogendoorn P, Breuning M. Bifurcation of the femur with tibial agenesis and additional anomalies. Am J Med Genet A. 2005;138:45-50 pubmed..Both patients had unusual additional anomalies. The first patient had in addition proximal focal femoral deficiency, the other patient had a tracheo-esophageal fistula and pyloric stenosis. Clinical and genetic aspects are discussed...
- van Solingen C, Seghers L, Bijkerk R, Duijs J, Roeten M, van Oeveren Rietdijk A, et al. Antagomir-mediated silencing of endothelial cell specific microRNA-126 impairs ischemia-induced angiogenesis. J Cell Mol Med. 2009;13:1577-85 pubmed publisher..Our data demonstrate a facilitary function for miR-126 in ischemia-induced angiogenesis and show the efficacy and specificity of antagomir-induced silencing of EC-specific microRNAs in vivo. ..
- Marques I, Weiss F, Vlecken D, Nitsche C, Bakkers J, Lagendijk A, et al. Metastatic behaviour of primary human tumours in a zebrafish xenotransplantation model. BMC Cancer. 2009;9:128 pubmed publisher..Our results show that the zebrafish is a useful in vivo animal model for rapid analysis of invasion and metastatic behaviour of primary human tumour specimen. ..
- ten Hove R, van Lieshout L, Beadsworth M, Perez M, Spee K, Claas E, et al. Characterization of genotypes of Enterocytozoon bieneusi in immunosuppressed and immunocompetent patient groups. J Eukaryot Microbiol. 2009;56:388-93 pubmed publisher..Different genotypes showed more dispersion among isolates from Malawi compared with those from the Netherlands. A constructed map estimating the genealogy of the ITS region reveals a dynamic evolutionary process between the genotypes...
- Muijs S, Akkermans P, van Erkel A, Dijkstra S. The value of routinely performing a bone biopsy during percutaneous vertebroplasty in treatment of osteoporotic vertebral compression fractures. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2009;34:2395-9 pubmed publisher..8%, we recommend routine obtainment of a vertebral body bone biopsy, preferably using a biopsy needle with a diameter larger than 14 Gauge (>2.1 mm/0.083 inch), during every PVP procedure. ..
- van Westen G, Wegner J, Geluykens P, Kwanten L, Vereycken I, Peeters A, et al. Which compound to select in lead optimization? Prospectively validated proteochemometric models guide preclinical development. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e27518 pubmed publisher..The modeling concept is likely to be applicable also to other target families with genetic variability like other viruses or bacteria, or with similar orthologs like GPCRs. ..
- Taekema D, Ling C, Kurrle S, Cameron I, Meskers C, Blauw G, et al. Temporal relationship between handgrip strength and cognitive performance in oldest old people. Age Ageing. 2012;41:506-12 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that cognitive decline precedes the onset of muscle weakness in oldest old people. ..
- Pieterse A, de Vries M, Kunneman M, Stiggelbout A, Feldman Stewart D. Theory-informed design of values clarification methods: a cognitive psychological perspective on patient health-related decision making. Soc Sci Med. 2013;77:156-63 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, our theory-based design recommendations are explicit and transparent, providing an opportunity to test each in a systematic manner. ..
- Amoah A, Obeng B, Larbi I, Versteeg S, Aryeetey Y, Akkerdaas J, et al. Peanut-specific IgE antibodies in asymptomatic Ghanaian children possibly caused by carbohydrate determinant cross-reactivity. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2013;132:639-647 pubmed publisher..Parasite-induced IgE against CCDs might account largely for high IgE levels to peanut in our study population of Ghanaian schoolchildren. No evidence of IgE-mediated peanut allergy was found. ..
- van Bruggen Rufi M, Vink A, Achterberg W, Roos R. Music therapy in Huntington's disease: a protocol for a multi-center randomized controlled trial. BMC Psychol. 2016;4:38 pubmed publisher..Netherlands Trial Register: NTR4904 , registration date Nov. 15, 2014. ..
- Kritikou E, Kuiper J, Kovanen P, Bot I. The impact of mast cells on cardiovascular diseases. Eur J Pharmacol. 2016;778:103-15 pubmed publisher..The acquired evidence renders mast cells and their mediators as potential prognostic markers and therapeutic targets in a broad spectrum of pathophysiological conditions related to cardiovascular diseases. ..
- van Noort J, van Sechel A, Bajramovic J, el Ouagmiri M, Polman C, Lassmann H, et al. The small heat-shock protein alpha B-crystallin as candidate autoantigen in multiple sclerosis. Nature. 1995;375:798-801 pubmed..Our findings indicate that alpha B-crystallin serves as immunodominant myelin antigen to human T cells when expressed at the elevated levels found in active MS lesions. ..
- van der Sandt I, Blom Roosemalen M, de Boer A, Breimer D. Specificity of doxorubicin versus rhodamine-123 in assessing P-glycoprotein functionality in the LLC-PK1, LLC-PK1:MDR1 and Caco-2 cell lines. Eur J Pharm Sci. 2000;11:207-14 pubmed..Doxorubicin appears to be a more selective P-gp substrate and therefore more useful in studying P-gp functionality in vitro. ..
- Vogt M, Goulmy E, Kloosterboer F, Blokland E, de Paus R, Willemze R, et al. UTY gene codes for an HLA-B60-restricted human male-specific minor histocompatibility antigen involved in stem cell graft rejection: characterization of the critical polymorphic amino acid residues for T-cell recognition. Blood. 2000;96:3126-32 pubmed..This may indicate that RESEEESVSL-reactive T cells are more common in sensitized patients. ..
- Takes R, Baatenburg de Jong R, Wijffels K, Schuuring E, Litvinov S, Hermans J, et al. Expression of genetic markers in lymph node metastases compared with their primary tumours in head and neck cancer. J Pathol. 2001;194:298-302 pubmed..This also implies differences in the regulation of markers involved in tumourigenesis and the process of metastasis. ..
- Overeem S, van Vliet J, Lammers G, Zitman F, Swaab D, Ferrari M. The hypothalamus in episodic brain disorders. Lancet Neurol. 2002;1:437-44 pubmed..Study of the various pathophysiological concepts of EBD within the context of the hypothalamus may prove a fruitful example of cross-fertilisation between various research areas. ..
- Kors E, Melberg A, Vanmolkot K, Kumlien E, Haan J, Raininko R, et al. Childhood epilepsy, familial hemiplegic migraine, cerebellar ataxia, and a new CACNA1A mutation. Neurology. 2004;63:1136-7 pubmed
- Melief C, van der Burg S. Immunotherapy of established (pre)malignant disease by synthetic long peptide vaccines. Nat Rev Cancer. 2008;8:351-60 pubmed publisher..Proper DC activation then induces the therapeutic CD4+ and CD8+ T-cell responses that are associated with regression of established (pre)malignant lesions, including those induced by high-risk human papilloma virus. ..
- Huhn C, Selman M, Ruhaak L, Deelder A, Wuhrer M. IgG glycosylation analysis. Proteomics. 2009;9:882-913 pubmed publisher..Alternatively, intact IgGs or fragments thereof obtained by enzymatic cleavages in the hinge region and by reduction may be analyzed by a large number of analytical techniques, including MS and chromatography or CE. ..
- Vandekerckhove K, Blom N, Lalezari S, Koolbergen D, Rijlaarsdam M, Hazekamp M. Long-term follow-up of arterial switch operation with an emphasis on function and dimensions of left ventricle and aorta. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2009;35:582-7; discussion 587-8 pubmed publisher..However, aortic root dilatation is present in two thirds of patients emphasizing the need for careful follow-up. ..
- Stockhammer O, Zakrzewska A, Hegedus Z, Spaink H, Meijer A. Transcriptome profiling and functional analyses of the zebrafish embryonic innate immune response to Salmonella infection. J Immunol. 2009;182:5641-53 pubmed publisher..Finally, we showed that induction of il1b, mmp9, and irak3 requires Myd88-dependent signaling, while ifn1 and il8 were induced Myd88 independently during Salmonella infection. ..
- Holling T, Bergevoet M, Wierda R, van Eggermond M, van den Elsen P. Genetic and epigenetic control of the major histocompatibility complex class Ib gene HLA-G in trophoblast cell lines. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2009;1173:538-44 pubmed publisher..Despite similar levels of DNA methylation both in JEG3 and JAR cells, we found the levels of histone acetylation in HLA-G promoter chromatin to be significantly enhanced in JEG3 cells coinciding with HLA-G expression. ..
- Buddingh E, Anninga J, Versteegh M, Taminiau A, Egeler R, van Rijswijk C, et al. Prognostic factors in pulmonary metastasized high-grade osteosarcoma. Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2010;54:216-21 pubmed publisher..We demonstrate that after repeated metastasectomies, a subset of patients can be cured. ..
- van der Beek M, Berger S, Vossen A, van der Blij de Brouwer C, Press R, de Fijter J, et al. Preemptive versus sequential prophylactic-preemptive treatment regimens for cytomegalovirus in renal transplantation: comparison of treatment failure and antiviral resistance. Transplantation. 2010;89:320-6 pubmed publisher..Antiviral resistance was observed infrequently and apparently played a minor role in treatment failure. ..
- Rombouts E, Rosendaal F, van Der Meer F. Influence of dietary vitamin K intake on subtherapeutic oral anticoagulant therapy. Br J Haematol. 2010;149:598-605 pubmed publisher..These findings support the recommendation for patients on vitamin K antagonists to eat a sufficient amount of vitamin-K containing foods. ..
- Both S, Laan E, Schultz W. Disorders in sexual desire and sexual arousal in women, a 2010 state of the art. J Psychosom Obstet Gynaecol. 2010;31:207-18 pubmed publisher..Specific topics to attend to during the anamnesis of sexual desire and arousal problems, and empirically evaluated psychological and pharmacological treatments for these problems are discussed. ..
- van der Rhee J, De Snoo F, Vasen H, Mooi W, Putter H, Gruis N, et al. Effectiveness and causes for failure of surveillance of CDKN2A-mutated melanoma families. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2011;65:289-296 pubmed publisher..Noncompliance was an important cause for failing surveillance. Shortening surveillance intervals may advance detection of tumors, but may paradoxically have little impact on prognosis. ..
- van Schadewijk A, van t Wout E, Stolk J, Hiemstra P. A quantitative method for detection of spliced X-box binding protein-1 (XBP1) mRNA as a measure of endoplasmic reticulum (ER) stress. Cell Stress Chaperones. 2012;17:275-9 pubmed publisher..In the present study, we have developed and validated a quantitative real-time RT-PCR method to detect the spliced form of XBP1 mRNA. ..
- Both S, van Lunsen R, Weijenborg P, Laan E. A new device for simultaneous measurement of pelvic floor muscle activity and vaginal blood flow: a test in a nonclinical sample. J Sex Med. 2012;9:2888-902 pubmed publisher..To investigate both factors, a measurement device that enables simultaneous assessment of pelvic floor muscle activity and genital sexual arousal would be most optimal...
- Zondag W, Kooiman J, Klok F, Dekkers O, Huisman M. Outpatient versus inpatient treatment in patients with pulmonary embolism: a meta-analysis. Eur Respir J. 2013;42:134-44 pubmed publisher..We conclude that home treatment or early discharge of selected low-risk patients with pulmonary embolism is as safe as inpatient treatment. ..
- Wink J, Wolterbeek R, Aarts L, Koster S, Versteegh M, Veering B. Upper thoracic epidural anaesthesia: effects of age on neural blockade and cardiovascular parameters. Acta Anaesthesiol Scand. 2013;57:767-75 pubmed publisher..In addition, reduction of heart rate was greater in the youngest group. ..
- Tricarico R, Cortellino S, Riccio A, Jagmohan Changur S, van der Klift H, Wijnen J, et al. Involvement of MBD4 inactivation in mismatch repair-deficient tumorigenesis. Oncotarget. 2015;6:42892-904 pubmed publisher..Mbd4-deficient mice showed reduced survival when combined with Mlh1-/- genotype. Taken together, these data suggest that MBD4 inactivation may contribute to tumorigenesis, acting as a modifier of MMR-deficient cancer phenotype. ..
- Zoni E, Chen L, Karkampouna S, Granchi Z, Verhoef E, La Manna F, et al. CRIPTO and its signaling partner GRP78 drive the metastatic phenotype in human osteotropic prostate cancer. Oncogene. 2017;36:4739-4749 pubmed publisher..These results highlight a functional role for CRIPTO and GRP78 in PCa metastasis and suggest that targeting CRIPTO/GRP78 signaling may have significant therapeutic potential. ..
- Hennis B, Boomsma D, Fijnvandraat K, Gevers Leuven J, Peters M, Kluft C. Estrogens reduce plasma histidine-rich glycoprotein (HRG) levels in a dose-dependent way. Thromb Haemost. 1995;73:484-7 pubmed..005). The effect of progestogens administered during low-dose and high-dose estrogen therapy appeared to be minor. The results from these three studies indicate that estrogens reduce plasma HRG levels in a dose-dependent way...
- Ploeger B, Mensinga T, Sips A, Meulenbelt J, DeJongh J. A human physiologically-based model for glycyrrhzic acid, a compound subject to presystemic metabolism and enterohepatic cycling. Pharm Res. 2000;17:1516-25 pubmed..Model simulations demonstrate that especially in subjects with prolonged gastrointestinal residence times, GA may accumulate after repeated licorice consumption, thus increasing the health risk of this specific subgroup of individuals. ..
- Regtuijt M, Harteveld C, Van Delft P, Akkermans N, Giordano P. Hb Suan-Dok [alpha109(G16)Leu-->Arg; CTG-->CGG (alpha2)] described in a patient of African ancestry. Hemoglobin. 2004;28:173-6 pubmed..In contrast with earlier reports we were unable to identify any native Hb fraction. The balanced beta/alpha ratio indicated that alpha2-Suan-Dok is formed but does not form tetramer formation unless alpha-thal is present. ..
- Te Pas A, Lopriore E, Engbers M, Walther F. Early respiratory management of respiratory distress syndrome in very preterm infants and bronchopulmonary dysplasia: a case-control study. PLoS ONE. 2007;2:e192 pubmed..Randomized controlled trials are needed to test whether early respiratory management of preterm infants with RDS plays an important role in the development of BPD. ..
- Kaja S, van de Ven R, van Dijk J, Verschuuren J, Arahata K, Frants R, et al. Severely impaired neuromuscular synaptic transmission causes muscle weakness in the Cacna1a-mutant mouse rolling Nagoya. Eur J Neurosci. 2007;25:2009-20 pubmed..Taken together, our studies indicate that the gait abnormality of RN mice is due to a combination of ataxia and muscle weakness and that RN models aspects of the NMJ dysfunction in LEMS. ..
- Kania R, Lamers G, Vonk M, Dorpmans E, Struik J, Tran Ba Huy P, et al. Characterization of mucosal biofilms on human adenoid tissues. Laryngoscope. 2008;118:128-34 pubmed..To demonstrate the presence of mucosal biofilm in adenoid tissue using double staining for visualization of both the bacterial matrix and the bacterial cells. To identify bacterial species present on the surface of the studied adenoids...
- Aziz N, van der Burg J, Landwehrmeyer G, Brundin P, Stijnen T, Roos R. Weight loss in Huntington disease increases with higher CAG repeat number. Neurology. 2008;71:1506-13 pubmed publisher..Other signs and symptoms of HD are unlikely to contribute to weight loss in early disease stages. Elucidation of the responsible mechanisms could lead to effective energy-based therapeutics. ..
- Nielsen M, Joerink van de Beld M, Jones N, Vogt S, Tops C, Vasen H, et al. Analysis of MUTYH genotypes and colorectal phenotypes in patients With MUTYH-associated polyposis. Gastroenterology. 2009;136:471-6 pubmed publisher..These clinical data are in accord with findings from in vitro functional assays. Genotypic stratification may become useful in the development of guidelines for counseling, surveillance, and management of families with MAP. ..
- Ott E, Van Den Akker N, Sakalis P, Gittenberger de Groot A, te Velthuis A, Bagowski C. The lim domain only protein 7 is important in zebrafish heart development. Dev Dyn. 2008;237:3940-52 pubmed publisher..We reveal the temporal and spatial expression patterns of this important gene during mouse, chicken and fish development and our findings suggest essential functions for LMO7 during vertebrate heart development. ..
- van Wietmarschen H, Yuan K, Lu C, Gao P, Wang J, Xiao C, et al. Systems biology guided by Chinese medicine reveals new markers for sub-typing rheumatoid arthritis patients. J Clin Rheumatol. 2009;15:330-7 pubmed publisher..Subgrouping of patients according to CM diagnosis has the potential to provide opportunities for better treatment outcomes by targeting Western or CM treatment to specific groups of patients. ..
- Reekers M, Simon M, Boer F, Mooren R, van Kleef J, Dahan A, et al. Pulse dye densitometry and indocyanine green plasma disappearance in ASA physical status I-II patients. Anesth Analg. 2010;110:466-72 pubmed publisher..This cutoff value needs reconsideration. In addition, we conclude that the ICG concentration is adequately determined noninvasively by PDD. ..
- Geerts B, de Wilde R, Aarts L, Jansen J. Pulse contour analysis to assess hemodynamic response to passive leg raising. J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth. 2011;25:48-52 pubmed publisher..Changes in pulse contour CO after PLR can be used to predict fluid loading responsiveness. ..
- Pintao M, Roshani S, De Visser M, Tieken C, Tanck M, Wichers I, et al. High levels of protein C are determined by PROCR haplotype 3. J Thromb Haemost. 2011;9:969-76 pubmed publisher..sTM was not associated with variations of THBD or PC levels. Chromosome 20 harbors genetic determinants of PC and sEPCR levels and the analysis of candidate genes suggests that the PROCR locus is responsible. ..
- Zeestraten E, Maak M, Shibayama M, Schuster T, Nitsche U, Matsushima T, et al. Specific activity of cyclin-dependent kinase I is a new potential predictor of tumour recurrence in stage II colon cancer. Br J Cancer. 2012;106:133-40 pubmed publisher..2, 95% CI: 1.44-26.9, P=0.012). Moreover, CKD1SA was significantly elevated in microsatellite-stable tumours. Specific activity of CDK1 is a promising biomarker for metastasis risk in stage II colon cancer. ..