Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on animals in Leiden, South Holland, Netherlands
Locale: Leiden, South Holland, Netherlands
Publications632 found, 100 shown here
- Koppers Lalic D, Verweij M, Lipinska A, Wang Y, Quinten E, Reits E, et al. Varicellovirus UL 49.5 proteins differentially affect the function of the transporter associated with antigen processing, TAP. PLoS Pathog. 2008;4:e1000080 pubmed publisher..5. Taken together, these results classify the UL 49.5 gene products of BHV-1, PRV, EHV-1, and EHV-4 as members of a novel family of viral immune evasion proteins, inhibiting TAP through a variety of mechanisms...
- Hauer A, Habets K, van Wanrooij E, de Vos P, Krueger J, Reisfeld R, et al. Vaccination against TIE2 reduces atherosclerosis. Atherosclerosis. 2009;204:365-71 pubmed publisher..Therefore, vaccination strategies that target cells that contribute to atherosclerosis, may be of potential use in the development of novel treatments of atherosclerosis. ..
- de Nooijer R, Bot I, von der Thüsen J, Leeuwenburgh M, Overkleeft H, Kraaijeveld A, et al. Leukocyte cathepsin S is a potent regulator of both cell and matrix turnover in advanced atherosclerosis. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2009;29:188-94 pubmed publisher..Leukocyte CatS deficiency results in considerably altered plaque morphology, with smaller necrotic cores, reduced apoptosis, and decreased SMC content and collagen deposition and may thus be critical in plaque stability. ..
- Lenos K, Jochemsen A. Functions of MDMX in the modulation of the p53-response. J Biomed Biotechnol. 2011;2011:876173 pubmed publisher..Lastly, in contrast to common belief, we have recently shown the existence of a p53-MDMX feedback loop, which is important for dampening the p53-response at later phases after genotoxic stress. ..
- van der Heijden T, van Vugt J, Logie C, van Noort J. Sequence-based prediction of single nucleosome positioning and genome-wide nucleosome occupancy. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012;109:E2514-22 pubmed..74 and 0.66. As predicted, we find the largest deviations in vivo around transcription start sites. This relatively simple algorithm can be used to guide future studies on the influence of DNA sequence on chromatin organization. ..
- Schilthuizen M. Rapid, habitat-related evolution of land snail colour morphs on reclaimed land. Heredity (Edinb). 2013;110:247-52 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, C. nemoralis is capable of rapid and considerable evolutionary differentiation over 1-25 snail generations, though equilibrium may be reached only at longer time scales. ..
- Kostidis S, Kokova D, Dementeva N, Saltykova I, Kim H, Choi Y, et al. 1H-NMR analysis of feces: new possibilities in the helminthes infections research. BMC Infect Dis. 2017;17:275 pubmed publisher..To our knowledge this is the first report of a NMR-based feces analysis in the context of the helminthic infections. ..
- Bian Y, Shang S, Siddiqui S, Zhao J, Joosten S, Ottenhoff T, et al. MHC Ib molecule Qa-1 presents Mycobacterium tuberculosis peptide antigens to CD8+ T cells and contributes to protection against infection. PLoS Pathog. 2017;13:e1006384 pubmed publisher..Our findings reveal that Qa-1 participates in the immune response to Mtb infection by presenting peptide antigens as well as regulating immune responses, resulting in more effective anti-Mtb immunity. ..
- Versnel H, Prijs V, Schoonhoven R. Auditory-nerve fiber responses to clicks in guinea pigs with a damaged cochlea. J Acoust Soc Am. 1997;101:993-1009 pubmed..The various features in the click responses were in most cases consistent with the type of FTC. The results can be used to explain deviations in whole-nerve recordings in abnormal cochleas. ..
- Nibbering P, Ravensbergen E, Welling M, van Berkel L, van Berkel P, Pauwels E, et al. Human lactoferrin and peptides derived from its N terminus are highly effective against infections with antibiotic-resistant bacteria. Infect Immun. 2001;69:1469-76 pubmed..Together, hLF and peptides derived from its N terminus are highly effective against infections with antibiotic-resistant S. aureus and K. pneumoniae, and the first two arginines play an essential role in this activity. ..
- Storey P, Spannbrucker N, Yelifari L, Dery G, Magnussen P, Doehring E, et al. Ultrasonographic detection and assessment of preclinical oesophagostomum bifurcum-induced colonic pathology. Clin Infect Dis. 2001;33:166-70 pubmed
- Loreille O, Bouchet F. Evolution of ascariasis in humans and pigs: a multi-disciplinary approach. Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz. 2003;98 Suppl 1:39-46 pubmed..We hope to show how human-pig interaction has shaped the recent evolutionary history of this disease, perhaps revealing the identify of the ancestral host...
- Kraakman van der Zwet M, Wiegant W, Zdzienicka M. Brca2 (XRCC11) deficiency results in enhanced mutagenesis. Mutagenesis. 2003;18:521-5 pubmed..In addition, following exposure to IR, a 2.3-fold increase in mutant frequency per Gy was found for V-C8 in comparison with wild-type V79. These data suggest a potential risk from ionizing radiation for BRCA2 patients. ..
- Koppers Lalic D, Reits E, Ressing M, Lipinska A, Abele R, Koch J, et al. Varicelloviruses avoid T cell recognition by UL49.5-mediated inactivation of the transporter associated with antigen processing. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005;102:5144-9 pubmed..UL49.5 is degraded along with TAP via a reaction that requires the cytoplasmic tail of UL49.5. Thus, UL49.5 represents a unique immune evasion protein that inactivates TAP through a unique two-tiered process...
- Vlugt Wensink K, De Vrueh R, Gresnigt M, Hoogerbrugge C, Van Buul Offers S, de Leede L, et al. Preclinical and clinical in vitro in vivo correlation of an hGH dextran microsphere formulation. Pharm Res. 2007;24:2239-48 pubmed..Good in vitro in vivo correlations were obtained for hGH-loaded dex-HEMA microspheres, which is an important advantage in predicting the effect of the controlled drug delivery product in a clinical situations. ..
- van den Hoek A, Teusink B, Voshol P, Havekes L, Romijn J, Pijl H. Leptin deficiency per se dictates body composition and insulin action in ob/ob mice. J Neuroendocrinol. 2008;20:120-7 pubmed..Both a lack of leptin signals and adiposity may contribute to insulin resistance in obese individuals. Diminution of central leptin signalling can critically affect glucose metabolism in these individuals. ..
- Vonk F, Admiraal J, Jackson K, Reshef R, de Bakker M, Vanderschoot K, et al. Evolutionary origin and development of snake fangs. Nature. 2008;454:630-3 pubmed publisher..This developmental event could have facilitated the massive radiation of advanced snakes in the Cenozoic era, resulting in the spectacular diversity of snakes seen today. ..
- Verweij M, Koppers Lalic D, Loch S, Klauschies F, de la Salle H, Quinten E, et al. The varicellovirus UL49.5 protein blocks the transporter associated with antigen processing (TAP) by inhibiting essential conformational transitions in the 6+6 transmembrane TAP core complex. J Immunol. 2008;181:4894-907 pubmed..These results demonstrate that UL49.5 acts directly on the 6+6 transmembrane TAP core complex of TAP by blocking essential conformational transitions required for peptide transport...
- de Gruijl F, Koehl G, Voskamp P, Strik A, Rebel H, Gaumann A, et al. Early and late effects of the immunosuppressants rapamycin and mycophenolate mofetil on UV carcinogenesis. Int J Cancer. 2010;127:796-804 pubmed publisher..Remarkably, we observed no effect of the immunosuppressants on UV-induced tumor onset, and with impaired tumor outgrowth Rapa could therefore strongly reduce skin carcinoma morbidity and mortality rates in organ transplant recipients. ..
- Huang Y, Laval S, van Remoortere A, Baudier J, Benaud C, Anderson L, et al. AHNAK, a novel component of the dysferlin protein complex, redistributes to the cytoplasm with dysferlin during skeletal muscle regeneration. FASEB J. 2007;21:732-42 pubmed..It may also have significant implications for understanding the biology of AHNAK-containing exocytotic vesicles, "enlargosomes," in plasma membrane remodeling and repair. ..
- Minegishi Y, Henkel C, Dirks R, van den Thillart G. Genomics in eels--towards aquaculture and biology. Mar Biotechnol (NY). 2012;14:583-90 pubmed publisher..Here, we review the progress in genome-wide studies of eels, including additional analysis of the European eel genome data, and discuss future directions and implications of genomic data for aquaculture. ..
- Deboer T, van Diepen H, Ferrari M, van den Maagdenberg A, Meijer J. Reduced sleep and low adenosinergic sensitivity in cacna1a R192Q mutant mice. Sleep. 2013;36:127-36 pubmed publisher..The data suggest that the A(1) receptor modulates sleep via the Ca(V)2.1 channel. ..
- Karim R, Meyers C, Backendorf C, Ludigs K, Offringa R, van Ommen G, et al. Human papillomavirus deregulates the response of a cellular network comprising of chemotactic and proinflammatory genes. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e17848 pubmed publisher..In summary, our comprehensive expression profiling approach revealed that HPV16 and 18 coordinate a broad deregulation of the keratinocyte's inflammatory response, and contributes to the understanding of virus persistence. ..
- de Wilde A, Li Y, van der Meer Y, Vuagniaux G, Lysek R, Fang Y, et al. Cyclophilin inhibitors block arterivirus replication by interfering with viral RNA synthesis. J Virol. 2013;87:1454-64 pubmed publisher..This suggests that CypA is an essential component of the viral RNA-synthesizing machinery. ..
- Trouw L, Seelen M, Visseren R, Duijs J, Benediktsson H, De Heer E, et al. Anti-C1q autoantibodies in murine lupus nephritis. Clin Exp Immunol. 2004;135:41-8 pubmed..In conclusion, anti-C1q antibodies are already present in serum and immune deposits of the kidney early in life and therefore can play a role in nephritis during experimental SLE-like disease in mice. ..
- Snoeks T, Kaijzel E, Que I, Mol I, Lowik C, Dijkstra J. Normalized volume of interest selection and measurement of bone volume in microCT scans. Bone. 2011;49:1264-9 pubmed publisher..As a result, the user can compare measurements of diameter, volume and structure between different bones in a normalized manner. ..
- van Putten M, Hulsker M, Nadarajah V, van Heiningen S, van Huizen E, van Iterson M, et al. The effects of low levels of dystrophin on mouse muscle function and pathology. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e31937 pubmed publisher..Based on these findings, we conclude that while even dystrophin levels below 15% can improve pathology and performance, levels of >20% are needed to fully protect muscle fibers from exercise-induced damage. ..
- KilpelÃ¤inen T, Carli J, Skowronski A, Sun Q, Kriebel J, Feitosa M, et al. Genome-wide meta-analysis uncovers novel loci influencing circulating leptin levels. Nat Commun. 2016;7:10494 pubmed publisher..Our findings provide novel insights into the regulation of leptin production by adipose tissue and open new avenues for examining the influence of variation in leptin levels on adiposity and metabolic health. ..
- Voshol G, Vijgenboom E, Punt P. The discovery of novel LPMO families with a new Hidden Markov model. BMC Res Notes. 2017;10:105 pubmed publisher..So this Hidden Markov model (Additional file 3) will help the broader scientific community in identifying other yet unknown LPMOs. ..
- van der Schoot P, Vigier B, Prepin J, Perchellet J, Gittenberger de Groot A. Development of the gubernaculum and processus vaginalis in freemartinism: further evidence in support of a specific fetal testis hormone governing male-specific gubernacular development. Anat Rec. 1995;241:211-24 pubmed..The present study aimed to analyse the prenatal growth and development of the gubernaculum in freemartins to find out its possible affliction through foetal testis hormones derived from their male co-twin...
- Noteborn M, Verschueren C, Koch G, van der Eb A. Simultaneous expression of recombinant baculovirus-encoded chicken anaemia virus (CAV) proteins VP1 and VP2 is required for formation of the CAV-specific neutralizing epitope. J Gen Virol. 1998;79 ( Pt 12):3073-7 pubmed..Recombinant baculovirus expressing VP1 and VP2 is, therefore, a potential production system for a subunit vaccine against CAV infection...
- Berger S, Daha M. Complement in glomerular injury. Semin Immunopathol. 2007;29:375-84 pubmed..Complement science is a highly exciting area of translational research and hopefully will result in meaningful therapeutic advances in the near future...
- de Jager S, Kuiper J. Vaccination strategies in atherosclerosis. Thromb Haemost. 2011;106:796-803 pubmed publisher..This review describes the current status-quo on classical antibody associated vaccination strategies but also includes promising immune-modulation approaches that may lead to a clinical application. ..
- van Paassen J, Bauer M, Arbous M, Visser L, Schmidt Chanasit J, Schilling S, et al. Acute liver failure, multiorgan failure, cerebral oedema, and activation of proangiogenic and antiangiogenic factors in a case of Marburg haemorrhagic fever. Lancet Infect Dis. 2012;12:635-42 pubmed publisher..Aggressive critical-care treatment with renal replacement therapy and use of the molecular absorbent recirculation system appeared able to stabilise--at least temporarily--the patient's condition...
- Verissimo C, Cheng S, Puigvert J, Qin Y, Vroon A, van Deutekom J, et al. Combining doublecortin-like kinase silencing and vinca alkaloids results in a synergistic apoptotic effect in neuroblastoma cells. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2012;342:119-30 pubmed publisher..Together, our data demonstrate that the silencing of DCLK sensitizes NB cells to VAs, resulting in a synergetic apoptotic effect. ..
- Fransen M, Arens R, Melief C. Local targets for immune therapy to cancer: tumor draining lymph nodes and tumor microenvironment. Int J Cancer. 2013;132:1971-6 pubmed publisher..As immune-modulating therapy has been shown to cause many adverse side effects when administered systemically, we strongly advocate the further development of local treatment for cancer immunotherapy. ..
- Marinelli A, Dijkstra F, van Dierendonck J, Kuppen P, Cornelisse C, van de Velde C. Effectiveness of isolated liver perfusion with mitomycin C in the treatment of liver tumours of rat colorectal cancer. Br J Cancer. 1991;64:74-8 pubmed
- van Hall T, van Bergen J, van Veelen P, Kraakman M, Heukamp L, Koning F, et al. Identification of a novel tumor-specific CTL epitope presented by RMA, EL-4, and MBL-2 lymphomas reveals their common origin. J Immunol. 2000;165:869-77 pubmed..Our research shows that all sources of RBL-5, RMA, RMA-S, MBL-2, and EL-4 tumors are derived from a single tumor line, most likely EL-4...
- Blom W, de Bont H, Meijerman I, Kuppen P, van der Meulen H, Mulder G, et al. Remodeling of the actin cytoskeleton of target hepatocytes and NK cells during induction of apoptosis. Cell Motil Cytoskeleton. 2001;49:78-92 pubmed..Inhibition of caspase activity by z-Val-Ala-DL-Asp-fluoromethylketone (100 microM) partly protected against the rearrangement of the actin filaments in the hepatocytes...
- Kruidering M, Schouten T, Evan G, Vreugdenhil E. Caspase-mediated cleavage of the Ca2+/calmodulin-dependent protein kinase-like kinase facilitates neuronal apoptosis. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:38417-25 pubmed..Together, our data suggest that cleavage of CaMKLK and generation of the noncatalytic N-terminal domain of CaMKLK facilitate neuronal apoptosis. ..
- Huigsloot M, Tijdens I, Mulder G, van de Water B. Differential regulation of doxorubicin-induced mitochondrial dysfunction and apoptosis by Bcl-2 in mammary adenocarcinoma (MTLn3) cells. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:35869-79 pubmed..Together, these data indicate that doxorubicin-induced dissipation of the mitochondrial membrane potential precedes phosphatidylserine externalization and is independent of a caspase- or Bcl-2-controlled checkpoint. ..
- Groenendijk B, Hierck B, Gittenberger de Groot A, Poelmann R. Development-related changes in the expression of shear stress responsive genes KLF-2, ET-1, and NOS-3 in the developing cardiovascular system of chicken embryos. Dev Dyn. 2004;230:57-68 pubmed..Our results suggest that, in the embryonic cardiovascular system, KLF-2 is expressed in regions of highest shear stress, and that ET-1 and NOS-3 expression, at least in the later stages, is related to shear stress. ..
- Smijs T, Nivard M, Schuitmaker H. Development of a test system for mutagenicity of photosensitizers using Drosophila melanogaster. Photochem Photobiol. 2004;79:332-8 pubmed..We demonstrated that TPP was mutagenic using the Photo-SMART. For hematoporphyrin, the results of the Photo-SMART indicate the absence of mutagenicity. ..
- Winter E, Grauss R, Atsma D, Hogers B, Poelmann R, van der Geest R, et al. Left ventricular function in the post-infarct failing mouse heart by magnetic resonance imaging and conductance catheter: a comparative analysis. Acta Physiol (Oxf). 2008;194:111-22 pubmed publisher..MRI is recommended for longitudinal studies, accurate absolute volumes and anatomical information. Unique features of CC are its online signal with high temporal resolution, and advanced analysis of LV function and energetics. ..
- Duinsbergen D, Eriksson M, t Hoen P, Frisen J, Mikkers H. Induced pluripotency with endogenous and inducible genes. Exp Cell Res. 2008;314:3255-63 pubmed publisher..Thus a combinatorial approach taking advantage of endogenously expressed genes and inducible transgenes may contribute to the development of improved reprogramming protocols. ..
- Egorova A, Van der Heiden K, van de Pas S, Vennemann P, Poelma C, DeRuiter M, et al. Tgf?/Alk5 signaling is required for shear stress induced klf2 expression in embryonic endothelial cells. Dev Dyn. 2011;240:1670-80 pubmed publisher..Results show that, in embryonic EC, shear stress activates Tgf?/Alk5 signaling and that induction of Klf2 is an Alk5 dependent process. ..
- van Klinken J, van den Berg S, Havekes L, Willems van Dijk K. Estimation of activity related energy expenditure and resting metabolic rate in freely moving mice from indirect calorimetry data. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e36162 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, TEE decomposition by means of penalised spline regression provides robust estimates of the time-dependent AEE and RMR and can be applied to data generated with generic metabolic chamber and indirect calorimetry set-ups. ..
- Speksnijder N, Christensen K, Didriksen M, de Kloet E, Datson N. Glucocorticoid receptor and myocyte enhancer factor 2 cooperate to regulate the expression of c-JUN in a neuronal context. J Mol Neurosci. 2012;48:209-18 pubmed publisher..At the same time, GR influences MEF2 activity and DNA binding. These results give novel insight into the molecular interplay of GR and MEF2 in the control of genes important for neuronal plasticity. ..
- de Kloet E. Lifetime achievement from a brain-adrenal perspective: on the CRF-urocortin-glucocorticoid balance. J Chem Neuroanat. 2013;54:42-9 pubmed publisher..regulation between the CRF/CRF-1 and Ucn/CRF-2 receptor systems is being uncovered, leading inexorably to the question: how do the CRF/Ucn and glucocorticoid systems interact in multiple brain sites to maintain homeostasis and health? ..
- Almer J, Jennings R, Maan A, Ringborn M, Maynard C, Pahlm O, et al. Ischemic QRS prolongation as a biomarker of severe myocardial ischemia. J Electrocardiol. 2016;49:139-47 pubmed publisher..202 and p=0.911). Quantification of ischemic QRS prolongation could potentially be used as a biomarker for severe myocardial ischemia. ..
- Fodde R, Smits R. Cancer biology. A matter of dosage. Science. 2002;298:761-3 pubmed
- Gittenberger E, Hamann T, Asami T. Chiral speciation in terrestrial pulmonate snails. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e34005 pubmed publisher..For the Clausiliidae, the fossil record and the recent fauna suggest that successful reversals in coiling direction occurred with a frequency of once every three to four million years. ..
- Deboer T, Tobler I. Sleep regulation in the Djungarian hamster: comparison of the dynamics leading to the slow-wave activity increase after sleep deprivation and daily torpor. Sleep. 2003;26:567-72 pubmed
- van Rossum A, de Graaf J, Schuuring Scholtes E, Kluin P, Fan Y, Zhan X, et al. Alternative splicing of the actin binding domain of human cortactin affects cell migration. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:45672-9 pubmed..Thus, in addition to overexpression and tyrosine phosphorylation, alternative splicing of the F-actin binding domain of cortactin is a new mechanism by which cortactin influences cell migration. ..
- Engels B, Schouten T, van Dullemen J, Gosens I, Vreugdenhil E. Functional differences between two DCLK splice variants. Brain Res Mol Brain Res. 2004;120:103-14 pubmed..Our results indicate that DCLK-short-A and -B control different neuronal processes that overlap with those controlled by CaMKs. ..
- Lijkwan M, Cooke D, Martens J, Kown M, Murata S, Peterson S, et al. Cyclosporine treatment of high dose and long duration reduces the severity of graft coronary artery disease in rodent cardiac allografts. J Heart Lung Transplant. 2005;24:439-45 pubmed..However, increasing dose and duration of CsA did not completely eliminate the development of GCAD. Non-immunologic factors could contribute to this occurrence. ..
- den Boer M, Voshol P, Schröder van der Elst J, Korsheninnikova E, Ouwens D, Kuipers F, et al. Endogenous interleukin-10 protects against hepatic steatosis but does not improve insulin sensitivity during high-fat feeding in mice. Endocrinology. 2006;147:4553-8 pubmed..We conclude that basal IL-10 production protects against hepatic steatosis but does not improve hepatic or whole-body insulin sensitivity, during high-fat feeding. ..
- Rabelink T, Wijewickrama D, de Koning E. Peritubular endothelium: the Achilles heel of the kidney?. Kidney Int. 2007;72:926-30 pubmed..In this mini review, the evidence for this pathophysiological concept as well as the possibility to detect such endothelial activation in the clinical arena is summarized. ..
- Mieog J, Vahrmeijer A, Hutteman M, van der Vorst J, Drijfhout van Hooff M, Dijkstra J, et al. Novel intraoperative near-infrared fluorescence camera system for optical image-guided cancer surgery. Mol Imaging. 2010;9:223-31 pubmed..In conclusion, we demonstrated the technical performance of this new camera system and its intraoperative utility in guiding resection of tumors. ..
- Shaklee P, Idema T, Bourel Bonnet L, Dogterom M, Schmidt T. Kinesin recycling in stationary membrane tubes. Biophys J. 2010;99:1835-41 pubmed publisher..Based on comparison of the numerical results and experimental data, we estimate a cooperative binding probability and concentration regime where the recycling phenomenon occurs. ..
- Zhou F, Huang H, Zhang L. Bisindoylmaleimide I enhances osteogenic differentiation. Protein Cell. 2012;3:311-20 pubmed publisher..The treatment of human mesenchymal stem cells with BIM promoted osteoblastogenesis. Our findings provide a new strategy to regulate mesenchymal stem cell differentiation by integration of the cellular signaling pathways. ..
- Jones E, Deininger S, Hogendoorn P, Deelder A, McDonnell L. Imaging mass spectrometry statistical analysis. J Proteomics. 2012;75:4962-4989 pubmed publisher..Particular attention is paid to the assumptions of the data analysis routines to ensure that the reader is apprised of their correct usage in imaging mass spectrometry research. ..
- Foks A, Bot I, Frodermann V, de Jager S, ter Borg M, Van Santbrink P, et al. Interference of the CD30-CD30L pathway reduces atherosclerosis development. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2012;32:2862-8 pubmed publisher..In the present study, we are the first to show that interruption of the CD30-CD30L pathway reduced initial atherosclerosis development by modulating T-cell function. ..
- Zauner G, Selman M, Bondt A, Rombouts Y, Blank D, Deelder A, et al. Glycoproteomic analysis of antibodies. Mol Cell Proteomics. 2013;12:856-65 pubmed publisher..Glycoproteomic analyses of IgM and IgE are lagging behind but should complete our picture of glycosylation's influence on antibody function. ..
- Mattie H, van Dokkum A, Brus Weijer L, Krul A, van Strijen E. Antibacterial activity of four cephalosporins in an experimental infection in relation to in vitro effect and pharmacokinetics. J Infect Dis. 1990;162:717-22 pubmed..For all four antibiotics this estimate was significantly correlated with the actual values of the effect in vivo (EN), defined as the difference in numbers of bacteria between controls and antibiotic-treated animals at 4 h. ..
- Tebar M, Destree O, de Vree W, Ten Have Opbroek A. Expression of Tcf/Lef and sFrp and localization of beta-catenin in the developing mouse lung. Mech Dev. 2001;109:437-40 pubmed..5 onward), and adjacent mesenchyme. Tcf1, Lef1, Tcf3, Tcf4, sFrp1, sFrp2 and sFrp4 were also expressed in the PE, AE, and adjacent mesenchyme in specific spatio-temporal patterns. ..
- Grauss R, Winter E, van Tuyn J, Pijnappels D, Steijn R, Hogers B, et al. Mesenchymal stem cells from ischemic heart disease patients improve left ventricular function after acute myocardial infarction. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2007;293:H2438-47 pubmed..hMSCs from patients with IHD engraft in infarcted mouse myocardium and preserve LV function 2 wk after AMI, potentially through an enhancement of scar vascularity and a reduction of wall thinning. ..
- Bijker M, van den Eeden S, Franken K, Melief C, van der Burg S, Offringa R. Superior induction of anti-tumor CTL immunity by extended peptide vaccines involves prolonged, DC-focused antigen presentation. Eur J Immunol. 2008;38:1033-42 pubmed publisher..An additional advantage of extended CTL peptide vaccines is an increased duration of in vivo epitope presentation. ..
- Oliveira C, Querido B, Sluijter M, Derbinski J, van der Burg S, van Hall T. Peptide transporter TAP mediates between competing antigen sources generating distinct surface MHC class I peptide repertoires. Eur J Immunol. 2011;41:3114-24 pubmed publisher..Impairment of TAP function, as commonly found in cancers and virus-infected cells, lowers this resistance allowing for MHC-I presentation of other peptide sources...
- Parlevliet E, Wang Y, Geerling J, Schröder van der Elst J, Picha K, O Neil K, et al. GLP-1 receptor activation inhibits VLDL production and reverses hepatic steatosis by decreasing hepatic lipogenesis in high-fat-fed APOE*3-Leiden mice. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e49152 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that GLP-receptor agonists could reduce hepatic steatosis and ameliorate dyslipidemia in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus. ..
- Wagenaar G, Laghmani E, de Visser Y, Sengers R, Steendijk P, Baelde H, et al. Ambrisentan reduces pulmonary arterial hypertension but does not stimulate alveolar and vascular development in neonatal rats with hyperoxic lung injury. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2013;304:L264-75 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, ambrisentan prolongs survival and reduces lung injury, PAH, and RVH via a NOS-independent mechanism but does not affect inflammation and alveolar and vascular development in neonatal rats with CLD. ..
- Zhang X, Zhang J, Bauer A, Zhang L, Selinger D, Lu C, et al. Fine-tuning BMP7 signalling in adipogenesis by UBE2O/E2-230K-mediated monoubiquitination of SMAD6. EMBO J. 2013;32:996-1007 pubmed publisher..Moreover, UBE2O and SMAD6 cooperated in the regulation of BMP7-induced adipogenesis. ..
- Auvinen H, Wang Y, Princen H, Romijn J, Havekes L, Smit J, et al. Both transient and continuous corticosterone excess inhibit atherosclerotic plaque formation in APOE*3-leiden.CETP mice. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e63882 pubmed publisher..This indicates that the increased atherosclerosis observed in humans in states of glucocorticoid excess may not be related to cortisol per se, but might be the result of complex indirect effects of cortisol. ..
- van Lummel M, Zaldumbide A, Roep B. Changing faces, unmasking the beta-cell: post-translational modification of antigens in type 1 diabetes. Curr Opin Endocrinol Diabetes Obes. 2013;20:299-306 pubmed publisher..This amplifies the immune response when encountering a modified beta-cell neo-autoantigen bound to T1D predisposing human leucocyte antigen molecules in the periphery. ..
- Arnoldussen I, Zerbi V, Wiesmann M, Noordman R, Bolijn S, Mutsaers M, et al. Early intake of long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids preserves brain structure and function in diet-induced obesity. J Nutr Biochem. 2016;30:177-88 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, an HFHC diet causes adverse structural brain and metabolic adaptations, most of which can be averted by dietary ARA and DHA intake early in life supporting metabolic flexibility and cerebral integrity later in life. ..
- de Jong W. Chimpanzee foetal haemoglobin: structure and heterogeneity of the gamma chain. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1971;251:217-26 pubmed..As in man, position gamma 136 can be occupied by glycine (G gamma chain) as well as alanine (A gamma chain). The ratio of G gamma to A gamma chains in the infant chimpanzee is approx. 2:1, and in the adult approx. 1:2. ..
- Jonker D, Visser S, van der Graaf P, Voskuyl R, Danhof M. Towards a mechanism-based analysis of pharmacodynamic drug-drug interactions in vivo. Pharmacol Ther. 2005;106:1-18 pubmed..The in vivo application of operational models with advanced response surface modelling techniques will facilitate the rational development of synergistic drug combinations. ..
- Bot I, de Jager S, Zernecke A, Lindstedt K, Van Berkel T, Weber C, et al. Perivascular mast cells promote atherogenesis and induce plaque destabilization in apolipoprotein E-deficient mice. Circulation. 2007;115:2516-25 pubmed..We propose that mast cell stabilization could be a new therapeutic approach to the prevention of acute coronary syndromes. ..
- Westerterp M, Berbee J, Pires N, van Mierlo G, Kleemann R, Romijn J, et al. Apolipoprotein C-I is crucially involved in lipopolysaccharide-induced atherosclerosis development in apolipoprotein E-knockout mice. Circulation. 2007;116:2173-81 pubmed..We anticipate that apoCI plasma levels contribute to accelerated atherosclerosis development in individuals who have chronic infection. ..
- Braks J, Mair G, Franke Fayard B, Janse C, Waters A. A conserved U-rich RNA region implicated in regulation of translation in Plasmodium female gametocytes. Nucleic Acids Res. 2008;36:1176-86 pubmed..These results demonstrate for the first time in a unicellular organism that the 5' or the 3'-UTR of TR-associated transcripts play an important and conserved role in mediating TR in female gametocytes. ..
- van der Hoorn J, Jukema J, Havekes L, Lundholm E, Camejo G, Rensen P, et al. The dual PPARalpha/gamma agonist tesaglitazar blocks progression of pre-existing atherosclerosis in APOE*3Leiden.CETP transgenic mice. Br J Pharmacol. 2009;156:1067-75 pubmed publisher..These actions resulted in complete inhibition of progression and stabilization of pre-existing atherosclerotic lesions in E3L.CETP mice. ..
- Boesten L, Zadelaar A, van Nieuwkoop A, Hu L, Teunisse A, Jochemsen A, et al. Macrophage p53 controls macrophage death in atherosclerotic lesions of apolipoprotein E deficient mice. Atherosclerosis. 2009;207:399-404 pubmed publisher..Our data demonstrate that macrophage p53 is an important regulator of macrophage apoptosis, thereby preventing necrotic death of lesional macrophages. The regulation of this cell death balance directly affects lesion composition. ..
- Bal S, Ding Z, Kersten G, Jiskoot W, Bouwstra J. Microneedle-based transcutaneous immunisation in mice with N-trimethyl chitosan adjuvanted diphtheria toxoid formulations. Pharm Res. 2010;27:1837-47 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, TMC has an adjuvant function in transcutaneous immunisation with microneedles, but only if applied in a solution. ..
- Janse C, Kroeze H, van Wigcheren A, Mededovic S, Fonager J, Franke Fayard B, et al. A genotype and phenotype database of genetically modified malaria-parasites. Trends Parasitol. 2011;27:31-9 pubmed publisher..Access to mutant-parasite information, and gene function/ontology inferred from mutant phenotypes provides a timely resource aimed at enhancing research into Plasmodium gene function and (systems) biology. ..
- van Hall T, van der Burg S. Mechanisms of peptide vaccination in mouse models: tolerance, immunity, and hyperreactivity. Adv Immunol. 2012;114:51-76 pubmed publisher..Here we systematically dissect the parameters that influence the final outcome of peptide vaccines as examined in mouse models and this will guide the rational design of new vaccines in the future. ..
- Syvänen S, Labots M, Tagawa Y, Eriksson J, Windhorst A, Lammertsma A, et al. Altered GABAA receptor density and unaltered blood-brain barrier transport in a kainate model of epilepsy: an in vivo study using 11C-flumazenil and PET. J Nucl Med. 2012;53:1974-83 pubmed publisher..P-gp inhibition by tariquidar treatment increased brain concentrations of flumazenil in both groups, but B(max) estimates were not influenced, suggesting that (11)C-flumazenil scanning is not confounded by alterations in P-gp function. ..