Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on middle aged in Nijmegen, Gelderland, Netherlands
Locale: Nijmegen, Gelderland, Netherlands
Topic: middle aged
Publications408 found, 100 shown here
- Vos F, Donnelly J, Oyen W, Kullberg B, Bleeker Rovers C, Blijlevens N. 18F-FDG PET/CT for diagnosing infectious complications in patients with severe neutropenia after intensive chemotherapy for haematological malignancy or stem cell transplantation. Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging. 2012;39:120-8 pubmed publisher..Besides its potential role in detecting CVC-related infection during febrile neutropenia, the high negative predictive value of (18)F-FDG PET/CT is important for avoiding unnecessary diagnostic tests and therapy. ..
- Hoentjen F, Haarhuis B, Drenth J, de Jong D. Elective switching from infliximab to adalimumab in stable Crohn's disease. Inflamm Bowel Dis. 2013;19:761-6 pubmed publisher..However, elective switching of anti-tumor necrosis factor therapy in stable CD should be carefully considered, given the risk of loss of response and the limited options for alternative maintenance therapies. ..
- van Nimwegen M, Speelman A, Overeem S, van de Warrenburg B, Smulders K, Dontje M, et al. Promotion of physical activity and fitness in sedentary patients with Parkinson's disease: randomised controlled trial. BMJ. 2013;346:f576 pubmed publisher..The analysis of the secondary endpoints justifies further work into the possible merits of behavioural change programmes to increase physical activities in daily life in Parkinson's disease. Clinical trials NCT00748488. ..
- Rutten Jacobs L, Arntz R, Maaijwee N, Schoonderwaldt H, Dorresteijn L, van Dijk E, et al. Long-term mortality after stroke among adults aged 18 to 50 years. JAMA. 2013;309:1136-44 pubmed publisher..These findings may warrant further research evaluating secondary prevention strategies in these patients. ..
- Prinsen H, Bleijenberg G, Heijmen L, Zwarts M, Leer J, Heerschap A, et al. The role of physical activity and physical fitness in postcancer fatigue: a randomized controlled trial. Support Care Cancer. 2013;21:2279-88 pubmed publisher..The effect of cognitive behavior therapy on postcancer fatigue is not mediated by a change in physical activity or physical fitness. ..
- Minasian A, van den Elshout F, Dekhuijzen P, Vos P, Willems F, van den Bergh P, et al. Using the Lower Limit of Normal Instead of the Conventional Cutoff Values to Define Predictors of Pulmonary Function Impairment in Subjects With Chronic Heart Failure. Respir Care. 2016;61:173-83 pubmed publisher..However, lowering the conventional cutoff points yielded similar results as the lower limit of normal. (ClinicalTrials.gov registration NCT01429376.). ..
- Gerritsen A, Bakker C, Verhey F, de Vugt M, Melis R, Koopmans R. Prevalence of Comorbidity in Patients With Young-Onset Alzheimer Disease Compared With Late-Onset: A Comparative Cohort Study. J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2016;17:318-23 pubmed publisher..Further investigation is needed to gain more insight into the association between comorbidity and AD in younger people. ..
- van Sluisveld N, Bakhshi Raiez F, de Keizer N, Holman R, Wester G, Wollersheim H, et al. Variation in rates of ICU readmissions and post-ICU in-hospital mortality and their association with ICU discharge practices. BMC Health Serv Res. 2017;17:281 pubmed publisher..Further research is necessary to find factors, which may influence these patient outcomes, in order to improve quality of care. ..
- Arts E, Fransen J, den Broeder A, van Riel P, Popa C. Low disease activity (DAS28?3.2) reduces the risk of first cardiovascular event in rheumatoid arthritis: a time-dependent Cox regression analysis in a large cohort study. Ann Rheum Dis. 2017;76:1693-1699 pubmed publisher..Our results strengthen the use of tight control strategies in daily clinical practice to achieve low stable disease activity or remission in patients with RA as soon as possible. ..
- de Galan B, Netea M, Smits P, van der Meer J. Hypoglycaemia downregulates endotoxin-induced production of tumour necrosis factor-alpha, but does not affect IL-1beta, IL-6, or IL-10. Cytokine. 2003;22:71-6 pubmed..We conclude that hypoglycaemia specifically downregulates TNFalpha production capacity. Diabetic patients already have a suppressed TNFalpha production capacity at non-hypoglycaemic levels. ..
- Op De Coul B, van den Hoogen F, Van As C, Marres H, Joosten F, Manni J, et al. Evaluation of the effects of primary myotomy in total laryngectomy on the neoglottis with the use of quantitative videofluoroscopy. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2003;129:1000-5 pubmed..Our results suggest that a planned myotomy of the upper esophageal sphincter is beneficial when prosthetic voice rehabilitation is applied after total laryngectomy. ..
- Janssen M, Hendrikse L, de Boer S, Bosboom R, de Boer W, Laheij R, et al. Helicobacter pylori antibiotic resistance in a Dutch region: trends over time. Neth J Med. 2006;64:191-5 pubmed..Therefore, triple therapy with a proton pump inhibitor,clarithromycin and amoxicillin can remain the empiricaltreatment of choice in the Netherlands. ..
- Pauw R, Collin R, Huygen P, Hoefsloot L, Kremer H, Cremers C. Clinical characteristics of a Dutch DFNA9 family with a novel COCH mutation, G87W. Audiol Neurootol. 2007;12:77-84 pubmed..However, subtle differences in terms of onset age and rate of progression seem to exist. ..
- Wetzels C, Hoefnagel J, Bakkers J, Dijkman H, Blokx W, Melchers W. Ultrastructural proof of polyomavirus in Merkel cell carcinoma tumour cells and its absence in small cell carcinoma of the lung. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e4958 pubmed publisher..In none of the SCLCs MCPyV-DNA was detected. Our results strongly suggest that MCPyV is an oncogenic polyomavirus in humans, and is potentially causally related to the development of MCC but not to the morphological similar SCLC. ..
- Kolwijck E, Engelke U, van der Graaf M, Heerschap A, Blom H, Hadfoune M, et al. N-acetyl resonances in in vivo and in vitro NMR spectroscopy of cystic ovarian tumors. NMR Biomed. 2009;22:1093-9 pubmed publisher..0-2.1 ppm resonance complex in ovarian cyst fluid. This spectral region seems to contain resonances from biomarkers that provide relevant clinical information on the type of ovarian tumor. ..
- van Keimpema L, de Koning D, van Hoek B, van den Berg A, van Oijen M, de Man R, et al. Patients with isolated polycystic liver disease referred to liver centres: clinical characterization of 137 cases. Liver Int. 2011;31:92-8 pubmed publisher..58% of patients were treated a median of 2 years (range 0-25) after diagnosis. Symptomatic PCLD patients are mainly females. Females and mutation carriers were younger at diagnosis and had a more severe course of disease. ..
- Estrada Cuzcano A, Koenekoop R, Coppieters F, Kohl S, Lopez I, Collin R, et al. IQCB1 mutations in patients with leber congenital amaurosis. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2011;52:834-9 pubmed publisher..It is therefore recommended that all LCA patients be screened for IQCB1 mutations, to follow them more closely for kidney disease. ..
- van der Velden H, Klaassen K, van de Kerkhof P, Pasch M. Fingernail psoriasis reconsidered: a case-control study. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2013;69:245-52 pubmed publisher..On the other hand, longitudinal ridges and Beau lines occurred more frequently in psoriasis but are not included in the NAPSI. ..
- Laheij R, Sturkenboom M, Hassing R, Dieleman J, Stricker B, Jansen J. Risk of community-acquired pneumonia and use of gastric acid-suppressive drugs. JAMA. 2004;292:1955-60 pubmed..For H2-receptor antagonist users, the variation in dose was restricted. Current use of gastric acid-suppressive therapy was associated with an increased risk of community-acquired pneumonia. ..
- Thijssen D, Ellenkamp R, Kooijman M, Pickkers P, Rongen G, Hopman M, et al. A causal role for endothelin-1 in the vascular adaptation to skeletal muscle deconditioning in spinal cord injury. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2007;27:325-31 pubmed..04). ET-1 mediates the increased vascular tone of extremely inactive legs of SCI individuals by increased activation of ET(A)-receptors. Physical training reverses the ET-1-pathway, which normalizes basal leg vascular tone. ..
- Dechering D, van der Steen M, Adiyaman A, Thijs L, Deinum J, Li Y, et al. Reproducibility of the ambulatory arterial stiffness index in hypertensive patients. J Hypertens. 2008;26:1993-2000 pubmed publisher..Estimates of mean AASI were not different between repeat recordings, and repeatability coefficients were within the 50-60% range. ..
- Verbeek M, Notting E, Faas B, Claessens Linskens R, Jongen P. Increased cerebrospinal fluid chitotriosidase index in patients with multiple sclerosis. Acta Neurol Scand. 2010;121:309-14 pubmed publisher..CTTS index is elevated in RRMS and SPMS. The CTTS index is related to CSF markers of inflammation or immune activation. ..
- Broen J, Gourh P, Rueda B, Coenen M, Mayes M, Martin J, et al. The FAS -670A>G polymorphism influences susceptibility to systemic sclerosis phenotypes. Arthritis Rheum. 2009;60:3815-20 pubmed publisher..23, OR 1.33, and OR 1.45, respectively). Our data show that the FAS -670A>G polymorphism plays a role in lcSSc susceptibility. A similar trend has been observed in other autoimmune diseases. ..
- Van der Geld P, Oosterveld P, Schols J, Kuijpers Jagtman A. Smile line assessment comparing quantitative measurement and visual estimation. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2011;139:174-80 pubmed publisher..Smile line analysis can be performed reliably with a 3-grade scale (visual) semiquantitative estimation. For a more comprehensive diagnosis, additional measuring is proposed, especially in patients with disproportional gingival display. ..
- Verheugt F, Steinhubl S, Hamon M, Darius H, Steg P, Valgimigli M, et al. Incidence, prognostic impact, and influence of antithrombotic therapy on access and nonaccess site bleeding in percutaneous coronary intervention. JACC Cardiovasc Interv. 2011;4:191-7 pubmed publisher..Use of bivalirudin rather than heparin + a glycoprotein IIb/IIIa inhibitor significantly decreases both nonaccess site as well as access site bleeding events by approximately 40%. ..
- Rosentul D, Plantinga T, Oosting M, Scott W, Velez Edwards D, Smith P, et al. Genetic variation in the dectin-1/CARD9 recognition pathway and susceptibility to candidemia. J Infect Dis. 2011;204:1138-45 pubmed publisher..Whereas the dectin-1/CARD9 signaling pathway is nonredundant in mucosal immunity to C. albicans, a partial deficiency of ?-glucan recognition has a minor impact on susceptibility to candidemia. ..
- Mohamed Hoesein F, Zanen P, Boezen H, Groen H, van Ginneken B, de Jong P, et al. Lung function decline in male heavy smokers relates to baseline airflow obstruction severity. Chest. 2012;142:1530-1538 pubmed publisher..ISRCTN Register; No.: ISRCTN63545820; URL: www.trialregister.nl ..
- Wagener M, de Vos M, Hendriks J, Eygendaal D, Verdonschot N. Stability of the unlinked Latitude total elbow prosthesis: a biomechanical in vitro analysis. Clin Biomech (Bristol, Avon). 2013;28:502-8 pubmed publisher..The unlinked Latitude total elbow prosthesis provides both valgus and varus stability in elbows with intact ligamentous constraints. The radial head component contributes only slightly to the stability. ..
- Cuperus F, Oosterwijk P, Vos A, Remijn J, van Dobbenburgh A, Bisseling T. [Visceral leishmaniasis: not only a tropical disease]. Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd. 2013;157:A5958 pubmed..Visceral leishmaniasis, a potentially lethal protozoan disease, should be considered in patients who have travelled in Southern Europe. ..
- DavegÃ¥rdh C, Broholm C, Perfilyev A, Henriksen T, GarcÃa CalzÃ³n S, Peijs L, et al. Abnormal epigenetic changes during differentiation of human skeletal muscle stem cells from obese subjects. BMC Med. 2017;15:39 pubmed publisher..Our study identifies IL-32 as a novel myogenic regulator, provides a comprehensive map of the dynamic epigenome during differentiation of human muscle stem cells and reveals abnormal epigenetic changes in obesity. ..
- Raaijmakers M, de Grouw E, van der Reijden B, de Witte T, Jansen J, Raymakers R. ABCB1 modulation does not circumvent drug extrusion from primitive leukemic progenitor cells and may preferentially target residual normal cells in acute myelogenous leukemia. Clin Cancer Res. 2006;12:3452-8 pubmed..These data argue that ABCB1 modulation is not an effective strategy to circumvent drug extrusion from primitive leukemic progenitor cells and may preferentially target residual normal progenitors in AML. ..
- Oei A, Moreno M, Verheijen R, Sweep F, Thomas C, Massuger L, et al. Induction of IgG antibodies to MUC1 and survival in patients with epithelial ovarian cancer. Int J Cancer. 2008;123:1848-53 pubmed publisher..Immunotherapy against MUC1 could be effective in the treatment of epithelial ovarian cancer. ..
- Radstake T, van Bon L, Broen J, Hussiani A, Hesselstrand R, Wuttge D, et al. The pronounced Th17 profile in systemic sclerosis (SSc) together with intracellular expression of TGFbeta and IFNgamma distinguishes SSc phenotypes. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e5903 pubmed publisher..Blocking Th17 inducing cytokines such as IL-6 and IL-23 may provide a useful tool to intervene in the progression of SSc. ..
- Hessels D, van Gils M, van Hooij O, Jannink S, Witjes J, Verhaegh G, et al. Predictive value of PCA3 in urinary sediments in determining clinico-pathological characteristics of prostate cancer. Prostate. 2010;70:10-6 pubmed publisher..Experimental differences (urine sediments vs. whole urine) and cohort may explain this. The exact place of PCA3 as prognostic test for PCa remains the subject of investigation. ..
- Stunnenberg B, Ginjaar H, Trip J, Faber C, van Engelen B, Drost G. Isolated eyelid closure myotonia in two families with sodium channel myotonia. Neurogenetics. 2010;11:257-60 pubmed publisher..Using clinical assessment and needle EMG, we identified this genotype-phenotype correlation in six L250P patients from one NaCh family and confirmed this finding in another, unrelated NaCh family with three L250P patients...
- van Laarhoven A, Kraaimaat F, Wilder Smith O, van de Kerkhof P, Evers A. Heterotopic pruritic conditioning and itch--analogous to DNIC in pain?. Pain. 2010;149:332-7 pubmed publisher..e., diffuse pruritic inhibitory control (DPIC), which is impaired in patients with chronic itch, possibly due to a dysregulation of descending itch modulatory systems. ..
- Wauters C, Kooistra B, de Kievit van der Heijden I, Strobbe L. Is cytology useful in the diagnostic workup of male breast lesions? A retrospective study over a 16-year period and review of the recent literature. Acta Cytol. 2010;54:259-64 pubmed..However, due to the good cytohistologic correlations in the group of malignant lesions, we can conclude that cytology remains an important diagnostic tool in the initial workup of male breast carcinomas. ..
- de Vries H, Te Morsche R, van Oijen M, Nagtegaal I, Peters W, de Jong D. The functional -765G?C polymorphism of the COX-2 gene may reduce the risk of developing crohn's disease. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e15011 pubmed publisher..No correlation was found between COX-2 diplotypes and clinical characteristics of IBD. The -765G?C polymorphism was associated with a reduced risk for developing Crohn's disease in a Dutch population. ..
- Teeuwen P, Bleichrodt R, de Jong P, van Goor H, Bremers A. Enhanced recovery after surgery versus conventional perioperative care in rectal surgery. Dis Colon Rectum. 2011;54:833-9 pubmed publisher..The study used nonrandomly assigned historic controls for comparison. Enhanced recovery after surgery programs help to reduce the length of hospital stay after rectal surgery. ..
- Janssen M, Waanders E, Te Morsche R, Xing R, Dijkman H, Woudenberg J, et al. Secondary, somatic mutations might promote cyst formation in patients with autosomal dominant polycystic liver disease. Gastroenterology. 2011;141:2056-2063.e2 pubmed publisher..PCLD is recessive at the cellular level, and loss of functional PRKCSH is an important step in cystogenesis. ..
- van Onzenoort H, Verberk W, Kroon A, Kessels A, Neef C, van der Kuy P, et al. Electronic monitoring of adherence, treatment of hypertension, and blood pressure control. Am J Hypertens. 2012;25:54-9 pubmed publisher..In this study, electronic monitoring of adherence to treatment by means of MEMS did not lead to better long-term BP control nor did it result in less drug changes and drug use. ..
- Delnooz C, Helmich R, Medendorp W, van de Warrenburg B, Toni I. Writer's cramp: increased dorsal premotor activity during intended writing. Hum Brain Mapp. 2013;34:613-25 pubmed publisher..These findings open the way for testing the therapeutic value of interventions that take into account the computational substrate of task-specificity in simple WC, e.g. modulations of PMd activity during the planning phase of writing. ..
- Scherpbier de Haan N, van der Wel M, Schoenmakers G, Boudewijns S, Peer P, van Weel C, et al. Thirty-minute compared to standardised office blood pressure measurement in general practice. Br J Gen Pract. 2011;61:e590-7 pubmed publisher..9/6.3 mmHg). Thirty-minute OBPM resulted in lower readings than standardised OBPM and had a better repeatability. These results suggest that 30-minute OBPM better reflects the patient's true blood pressure than standardised OBPM does. ..
- Uijen A, Schers H, Schellevis F, Mokkink H, van Weel C, van den Bosch W. Measuring continuity of care: psychometric properties of the Nijmegen Continuity Questionnaire. Br J Gen Pract. 2012;62:e949-57 pubmed publisher..71 and 0.82). This study provides evidence for the validity, discriminative ability, and reliability of the NCQ. The NCQ can be of value to identify problems in continuity of care. ..
- Wijers N, Schoonhoven L, Giesen P, Vrijhoef H, van der Burgt R, Mintjes J, et al. The effectiveness of nurse practitioners working at a GP cooperative: a study protocol. BMC Fam Pract. 2012;13:75 pubmed publisher..ClinicalTrials.gov ID NCT01388374. ..
- Witjes J, Palou J, Soloway M, Lamm D, Kamat A, Brausi M, et al. Current clinical practice gaps in the treatment of intermediate- and high-risk non-muscle-invasive bladder cancer (NMIBC) with emphasis on the use of bacillus Calmette-Guérin (BCG): results of an international individual patient data survey (IPDS). BJU Int. 2013;112:742-50 pubmed publisher..However, most of those patients prescribed BCG maintenance therapy are scheduled for at least 1 year of therapy, as recommended by current guidelines for NMIBC management, and BCG maintenance discontinuation is low. ..
- van Tol Geerdink J, Leer J, van Oort I, van Lin E, Weijerman P, Vergunst H, et al. Quality of life after prostate cancer treatments in patients comparable at baseline. Br J Cancer. 2013;108:1784-9 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that, for quality of life, radiotherapy is as least as good an option as RP for treating localised prostate cancer. ..
- Fonteyn E, Keus S, Verstappen C, van de Warrenburg B. Physiotherapy in degenerative cerebellar ataxias: utilisation, patient satisfaction, and professional expertise. Cerebellum. 2013;12:841-7 pubmed publisher..Evidence-based recommendations and specific training of physiotherapists are needed. ..
- Rao D, Peitzsch M, Prejbisz A, Hanus K, Fassnacht M, Beuschlein F, et al. Plasma methoxytyramine: clinical utility with metanephrines for diagnosis of pheochromocytoma and paraganglioma. Eur J Endocrinol. 2017;177:103-113 pubmed publisher..9% vs 49.3%). While the benefit of additional measurements of plasma methoxytyramine for the detection of PPGLs is modest, the measurements do assist with positive confirmation of disease and are useful for the detection of HNPGLs. ..
- van den Brand J, Ruggenenti P, Chianca A, Hofstra J, Perna A, Ruggiero B, et al. Safety of Rituximab Compared with Steroids and Cyclophosphamide for Idiopathic Membranous Nephropathy. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2017;28:2729-2737 pubmed publisher..Because of its superior safety profile, we suggest that Rtx might replace St-Cp as first-line immunosuppressive therapy in patients with idiopathic membranous nephropathy and nephrotic syndrome. ..
- Andela C, Repping Wuts H, Stikkelbroeck N, Pronk M, Tiemensma J, Hermus A, et al. Enhanced self-efficacy after a self-management programme in pituitary disease: a randomized controlled trial. Eur J Endocrinol. 2017;177:59-72 pubmed publisher..Future research should focus on the refinement and implementation of this SMI into clinical practice. ..
- Hoa L, Tuan N, My P, Huong T, Chi N, Hau Thu T, et al. Assessing evidence for avian-to-human transmission of influenza A/H9N2 virus in rural farming communities in northern Vietnam. J Gen Virol. 2017;98:2011-2016 pubmed publisher..5 %) seropositive for A/H5 and 123/1105 (11.1 %) seropositive for A/H9]. ..
- Bleeker Rovers C, Warris A, Drenth J, Corstens F, Oyen W, Kullberg B. Diagnosis of Candida lung abscesses by 18F-fluorodeoxyglucose positron emission tomography. Clin Microbiol Infect. 2005;11:493-5 pubmed..It was concluded that FDG-PET is a promising new imaging technique that enables early identification of sites of disseminated candidiasis, and that this technique can be used in the evaluation of therapy. ..
- van Oijen M, Huybers S, Peters W, Drenth J, Laheij R, Verheugt F, et al. Polymorphisms in genes encoding acetylsalicylic acid metabolizing enzymes are unrelated to upper gastrointestinal health in cardiovascular patients on acetylsalicylic acid. Br J Clin Pharmacol. 2005;60:623-8 pubmed..85, 95% CI = 0.44-1.67). There was no association between polymorphisms in genes encoding for acetylsalicylic acid metabolizing enzymes on the prevalence of gastric complaints in cardiovascular patients on acetylsalicylic acid. ..
- van den Hoven M, Rops A, Bakker M, Aten J, Rutjes N, Roestenberg P, et al. Increased expression of heparanase in overt diabetic nephropathy. Kidney Int. 2006;70:2100-8 pubmed..Our observations suggest that HPSE is involved in the pathogenesis of proteinuria in overt DNP by degradation of HS. ..
- Koster A, Tromp H, Raemaekers J, Borm G, Hebeda K, Mackenzie M, et al. The prognostic significance of the intra-follicular tumor cell proliferative rate in follicular lymphoma. Haematologica. 2007;92:184-90 pubmed..It is easily applicable and reproducible and therefore superior to histological grading in identifying clinically aggressive follicular lymphoma, requiring other types of treatment. ..
- van der Linden I, Heil S, den Heijer M, Blom H. The 894G>T variant in the endothelial nitric oxide synthase gene and spina bifida risk. J Hum Genet. 2007;52:516-20 pubmed..55-13.22 and OR 3.38, 95%CI 1.46-7.84, respectively). In our study population, the NOS3 894GT/TT genotype might be a risk factor for having a spina bifida affected child in mothers who already have an impaired homocysteine metabolism. ..
- Hengstman G, De Bleecker J, Feist E, Vissing J, Denton C, Manoussakis M, et al. Open-label trial of anti-TNF-alpha in dermato- and polymyositis treated concomitantly with methotrexate. Eur Neurol. 2008;59:159-63 pubmed publisher..To determine the efficacy of infliximab combined with weekly methotrexate in drug-naive recent-onset dermatomyositis and polymyositis...
- Kooistra B, Wauters C, Van de Ven S, Strobbe L. The diagnostic value of nipple discharge cytology in 618 consecutive patients. Eur J Surg Oncol. 2009;35:573-7 pubmed publisher..Therefore, its routine use for detection of ND-related breast pathology should be reconsidered carefully. Nipple discharge cytology may redirect patient management well in some cases, but it may confuse work-up in the majority. ..
- Roumen Klappe E, Janssen M, Van Rossum J, Holewijn S, van Bokhoven M, Kaasjager K, et al. Inflammation in deep vein thrombosis and the development of post-thrombotic syndrome: a prospective study. J Thromb Haemost. 2009;7:582-7 pubmed publisher..6 (0.2-1.4) and 1.2 (0.6-2.5), respectively. The results of this study suggest that inflammation might play a role in incomplete thrombus clearance, venous outflow obstruction and the development of PTS after 1 year. ..
- van der Velden W, Blijlevens N, Maas F, Schaap N, Jansen J, van der Reijden B, et al. NOD2 polymorphisms predict severe acute graft-versus-host and treatment-related mortality in T-cell-depleted haematopoietic stem cell transplantation. Bone Marrow Transplant. 2009;44:243-8 pubmed publisher..We conclude that NOD2 polymorphism screening should be used to optimize donor selection and antimicrobial prophylaxis to reduce the occurrence of aGVHD and TRM following allogeneic HSCT. ..
- Wetzels R, Wolters R, van Weel C, Wensing M. Harm caused by adverse events in primary care: a clinical observational study. J Eval Clin Pract. 2009;15:323-7 pubmed publisher..The identified adverse events had some impact on health outcomes, but a risk for harm existed in a majority of the events. Patient safety programmes in primary care should focus on adverse events and not just on harm. ..
- Roest A, Dubas J, Gerris J. Value transmissions between fathers, mothers, and adolescent and emerging adult children: the role of the family climate. J Fam Psychol. 2009;23:146-55 pubmed publisher..Late adolescents and emerging adults also serve to socialize their parents and parents socialize each other. ..
- Hambrock T, Somford D, Hoeks C, Bouwense S, Huisman H, Yakar D, et al. Magnetic resonance imaging guided prostate biopsy in men with repeat negative biopsies and increased prostate specific antigen. J Urol. 2010;183:520-7 pubmed publisher..Magnetic resonance imaging guided biopsy of tumor suspicious regions is an accurate method to detect clinically significant prostate cancer in men with repeat negative biopsies and increased prostate specific antigen. ..
- Blom M, Kievit W, Kuper H, Jansen T, Visser H, den Broeder A, et al. Frequency and effectiveness of dose increase of adalimumab, etanercept, and infliximab in daily clinical practice. Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). 2010;62:1335-41 pubmed publisher..99, respectively; both P = 0.001), but not in the partial responders. Although dose increase was applied in all 3 TNF-blocking agents in daily clinical practice, these results suggest that the effectiveness of dose increase is limited. ..
- van der Zwaluw C, Valentijn S, Nieuwenhuis Mark R, Rasquin S, van Heugten C. Cognitive functioning in the acute phase poststroke: a predictor of discharge destination?. J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis. 2011;20:549-55 pubmed publisher..Functional status improved the predictive value of the model; the MMSE was not suitable for prediction. A comprehensive set of various predictors, including cognition, is recommended to support discharge planning. ..
- van Ingen J, Aarnoutse R, de Vries G, Boeree M, van Soolingen D. Low-level rifampicin-resistant Mycobacterium tuberculosis strains raise a new therapeutic challenge. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2011;15:990-2 pubmed publisher..We retrospectively performed pharmacokinetic calculations to assess the potential for RMP treatment, from which we conclude that MICs for RMP up to 1 ?g/ml may be safely overcome by applying 20 mg/kg RMP doses in treatment regimens. ..
- Roestenberg M, O Hara G, Duncan C, Epstein J, Edwards N, Scholzen A, et al. Comparison of clinical and parasitological data from controlled human malaria infection trials. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e38434 pubmed publisher..Nevertheless, parasite growth rates are highly reproducible, illustrating the robustness of controlled infections as a valid tool for malaria vaccine development. ..
- Smit F, Salagierski M, Jannink S, Schalken J. High-resolution ERG-expression profiling on GeneChip exon 1.0 ST arrays in primary and castration-resistant prostate cancer. BJU Int. 2013;111:836-42 pubmed publisher..The variation of gene fusion expression levels, particularly in CPRC, needs to be taken into account when using quantitative molecular diagnosis of prostate cancer. ..
- Bonaca M, Bhatt D, Steg P, Storey R, Cohen M, Im K, et al. Ischaemic risk and efficacy of ticagrelor in relation to time from P2Y12 inhibitor withdrawal in patients with prior myocardial infarction: insights from PEGASUS-TIMI 54. Eur Heart J. 2016;37:1133-42 pubmed publisher..Future analyses may help to clarify further the profile of post-MI patients most likely to benefit from uninterrupted dual antiplatelet therapy. http://www.clinicaltrials.gov NCT01225562. ..
- Novakova I, Donnelly J, de Pauw B. Potential sites of infection that develop in febrile neutropenic patients. Leuk Lymphoma. 1993;10:461-7 pubmed
- Shimazui T, Bringuier P, van Berkel H, Ruijter E, Akaza H, Debruyne F, et al. Decreased expression of alpha-catenin is associated with poor prognosis of patients with localized renal cell carcinoma. Int J Cancer. 1997;74:523-8 pubmed
- Borstlap W, Stoelinga P, Hoppenreijs T, van T Hof M. Stabilisation of sagittal split advancement osteotomies with miniplates: a prospective, multicentre study with two-year follow-up. Part I. Clinical parameters. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2004;33:433-41 pubmed..The sagittal split osteotomy fixed with miniplates appeared to be a relatively safe and reliable procedure giving rise to a high degree of patient satisfaction, despite the fact that some occlusal relapse was seen. ..
- Spruijt S, van der Linden J, Dijkstra P, Wiggers T, Oudkerk M, Snijders C, et al. Prediction of torsional failure in 22 cadaver femora with and without simulated subtrochanteric metastatic defects: a CT scan-based finite element analysis. Acta Orthop. 2006;77:474-81 pubmed..In the future, CT scan-based FE analysis may provide a useful tool for identification of impending pathological fractures requiring prophylactic stabilization. ..
- De Vries J, Menovsky T, Ingels K. Evaluation of olfactory nerve function after aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage and clip occlusion. J Neurosurg. 2007;107:1126-9 pubmed..Improvement of SAH-induced olfactory dysfunction at follow-up, however, can also be documented. The subjective assessments of the patients do not correspond well with the test battery results. ..
- van Kuijk A, Pasman J, Hendricks H, Schelhaas J, Zwarts M, Geurts A. Supratentorial ischemic stroke: more than an upper motor neuron disorder. J Clin Neurophysiol. 2007;24:450-5 pubmed..This knowledge is important for interpreting electrophysiological data in stroke patients. ..
- Verweij P, Varga J, Houbraken J, Rijs A, Verduynlunel F, Blijlevens N, et al. Emericella quadrilineata as cause of invasive aspergillosis. Emerg Infect Dis. 2008;14:566-72 pubmed publisher..These data indicate that sequence-based identification is more accurate than morphologic examination for identifying Emericella spp. and that correct species demarcation and in vitro susceptibility testing may affect patient management...
- Kan H, Scheenen T, Wohlgemuth M, Klomp D, van Loosbroek Wagenmans I, Padberg G, et al. Quantitative MR imaging of individual muscle involvement in facioscapulohumeral muscular dystrophy. Neuromuscul Disord. 2009;19:357-62 pubmed publisher..Typically, muscle involvement was non-uniform even within one muscle, indicating that MRI can be used as a valuable tool to study pathophysiology and therapy evaluation in FSHD. ..
- Horlings C, Munneke M, Bickerstaffe A, Laverman L, Allum J, Padberg G, et al. Epidemiology and pathophysiology of falls in facioscapulohumeral disease. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2009;80:1357-63 pubmed publisher..Here falls in patients with facioscapulohumeral disease (FSHD) who suffered from lower limb muscle weakness were examined. This study provides insights into the prevalence, relevance and pathophysiology of falls in FSHD...
- Vogtländer N, van der Vlag J, Bakker M, Dijkman H, Wevers R, Campbell K, et al. Expression of sialidase and dystroglycan in human glomerular diseases. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2010;25:478-84 pubmed publisher..The expression of dystroglycan cannot be used as a diagnostic tool to differentiate between glomerular diseases. ..
- Troost E, Bussink J, Slootweg P, Peeters W, Merkx M, van der Kogel A, et al. Histopathologic validation of 3'-deoxy-3'-18F-fluorothymidine PET in squamous cell carcinoma of the oral cavity. J Nucl Med. 2010;51:713-9 pubmed publisher..This weak correlation may be explained by differences in biomarker characteristics, resolution, and quantification methods. ..
- van der Avoort I, van de Nieuwenhof H, Otte Holler I, Nirmala E, Bulten J, Massuger L, et al. High levels of p53 expression correlate with DNA aneuploidy in (pre)malignancies of the vulva. Hum Pathol. 2010;41:1475-85 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, high p53 expression correlates with increased DNA content and aneuploidy; but it requires further research to unveil a possible causal relation...
- Gons R, de Laat K, van Norden A, van Oudheusden L, van Uden I, Norris D, et al. Hypertension and cerebral diffusion tensor imaging in small vessel disease. Stroke. 2010;41:2801-6 pubmed publisher..Diffusion tensor imaging provides measures of structural integrity...
- Kuijpers K, Heesakkers J, Hafmans T, Schalken J. Adherence junctions and cadherin-11 in normal and overactive human detrusor smooth muscle cells. J Urol. 2011;185:1946-51 pubmed publisher..Defects in the overactive detrusor are highly punctate. Quantitative analysis of adherence junctions using biopsy cannot replace urodynamic evaluation as a predictor of detrusor overactivity in the human bladder. ..
- Tieleman A, Jenks K, Kalkman J, Borm G, van Engelen B. High disease impact of myotonic dystrophy type 2 on physical and mental functioning. J Neurol. 2011;258:1820-6 pubmed publisher..Management of DM2 patients should include screening for pain and fatigue. Symptomatic treatment of pain and fatigue may decrease disease impact and help improve health status in DM2, even if the disease itself cannot be treated. ..
- Geurts S, van Altena A, de Vegt F, Tjan Heijnen V, Massuger L, van Dijck J, et al. No supportive evidence for clinical benefit of routine follow-up in ovarian cancer: a Dutch multicenter study. Int J Gynecol Cancer. 2011;21:647-53 pubmed publisher..However, this result is expected to be explained by differences in tumor biology and length-time bias. ..
- Ebben R, Vloet L, de Groot J, Van Achterberg T. Factors influencing adherence to an emergency department national protocol. Eur J Emerg Med. 2012;19:53-6 pubmed publisher..The main influencing factor seems awareness. Other factors related to the individual, the organization and to protocol characteristics. Solely disseminating the EDNP is not enough to get the protocol used in clinical practice. ..
- van Leijsen S, Kluivers K, Mol B, Broekhuis S, Milani A, Bongers M, et al. Can preoperative urodynamic investigation be omitted in women with stress urinary incontinence? A non-inferiority randomized controlled trial. Neurourol Urodyn. 2012;31:1118-23 pubmed publisher..Women with SUI undergoing urodynamics had the risk of a choice for more prudent treatment, which seemed to result in a delay until effective treatment. ..
- Mekenkamp L, Tol J, Dijkstra J, de Krijger I, Vink Börger M, van Vliet S, et al. Beyond KRAS mutation status: influence of KRAS copy number status and microRNAs on clinical outcome to cetuximab in metastatic colorectal cancer patients. BMC Cancer. 2012;12:292 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that the assessment of KRAS CNA and miRNAs targeting KRAS might further optimize the selection of mCRC eligible for anti-EGFR therapy. ..