Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on monocytes in Utrecht, Netherlands
Locale: Utrecht, Netherlands
- Rutten B, Roest M, McClellan E, Sels J, Stubbs A, Jukema J, et al. Platelet density per monocyte predicts adverse events in patients after percutaneous coronary intervention. Thromb Haemost. 2016;115:353-60 pubmed publisher..These findings may imply that a high platelet density per monocyte protects against recurrence of adverse events. ..
- Marx J, Kartikasari A, Georgiou N. Can iron chelators influence the progression of atherosclerosis?. Hemoglobin. 2008;32:123-34 pubmed publisher..Iron chelators may be effective in preventing vascular damage in patients with high concentrations of NTBI as found in thalassemia. ..
- van Erp E, van Kasteren P, Guichelaar T, Ahout I, de Haan C, Luytjes W, et al. In Vitro Enhancement of Respiratory Syncytial Virus Infection by Maternal Antibodies Does Not Explain Disease Severity in Infants. J Virol. 2017;91: pubmed publisher..Our data contribute to a better understanding of the impact of antibodies on RSV disease in infants. ..
- Vazirpanah N, Kienhorst L, van Lochem E, Wichers C, Rossato M, Shiels P, et al. Patients with gout have short telomeres compared with healthy participants: association of telomere length with flare frequency and cardiovascular disease in gout. Ann Rheum Dis. 2017;76:1313-1319 pubmed publisher..005). Patients with gout have shorter telomeres than healthy participants, reflecting increased cellular senescence. Telomere shortening was associated with the number of flares and with cardiovascular disease in people with gout. ..
- Kumar D, Puan K, Andiappan A, Lee B, Westerlaken G, Haase D, et al. A functional SNP associated with atopic dermatitis controls cell type-specific methylation of the VSTM1 gene locus. Genome Med. 2017;9:18 pubmed publisher..Notably, the genetic regulation is achieved by a single CpG-SNP, which controls the overall methylation state of the promoter gene segment. ..
- Bardoel B, Vos R, Bouman T, Aerts P, Bestebroer J, Huizinga E, et al. Evasion of Toll-like receptor 2 activation by staphylococcal superantigen-like protein 3. J Mol Med (Berl). 2012;90:1109-20 pubmed publisher..This unique function of SSL3 adds to the arsenal of immune evasive molecules that S. aureus can employ to subvert both innate and adaptive immunity...
- van de Weert van Leeuwen P, van Meegen M, Speirs J, Pals D, Rooijakkers S, van der Ent C, et al. Optimal complement-mediated phagocytosis of Pseudomonas aeruginosa by monocytes is cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator-dependent. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 2013;49:463-70 pubmed publisher
- Bloemers B, van Bleek G, Kimpen J, Bont L. Distinct abnormalities in the innate immune system of children with Down syndrome. J Pediatr. 2010;156:804-9, 809.e1-809.e5 pubmed publisher..Most strikingly, they had a high number of proinflammatory CD14(dim)CD16(+) monocytes. This elevated level of CD14(dim)CD16(+) monocytes may play an important role in the onset and maintenance of chronic inflammatory disease in DS. ..
- Gijsberts C, Ellenbroek G, Ten Berg M, Huisman A, van Solinge W, Lam C, et al. Effect of Monocyte-to-Lymphocyte Ratio on Heart Failure Characteristics and Hospitalizations in a Coronary Angiography Cohort. Am J Cardiol. 2017;120:911-916 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, MLR is strongly related to HF markers and predicts HF hospitalizations during follow-up in patients with CAD. ..
- Pereira C, Middel J, Jansen G, Verhoef J, Nottet H. Enhanced expression of fractalkine in HIV-1 associated dementia. J Neuroimmunol. 2001;115:168-75 pubmed..We propose that fractalkine produced during interactions between astrocytes and HIV-infected macrophages plays a role in HAD by regulating the trafficking of monocytic cells in the brain parenchyma. ..
- Wensink A, Kemp V, Fermie J, Garcia Laorden M, van der Poll T, Hack C, et al. Granzyme K synergistically potentiates LPS-induced cytokine responses in human monocytes. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2014;111:5974-9 pubmed publisher..We conclude that extracellular GrK is an unexpected direct modulator of LPS-TLR4 signaling during the antimicrobial innate immune response. ..
- Gerrits A, Koekman C, Yildirim C, Nieuwland R, Akkerman J. Insulin inhibits tissue factor expression in monocytes. J Thromb Haemost. 2009;7:198-205 pubmed publisher..Insulin inhibits TF expression in monocytes and monocyte-derived microparticles through interference with G(i)alpha(2)-mediated cAMP suppression, which attenuates Ca(2+)-mediated TF synthesis. ..
- de Groot D, Haverslag R, Pasterkamp G, de Kleijn D, Hoefer I. Targeted deletion of the inhibitory NF-kappaB p50 subunit in bone marrow-derived cells improves collateral growth after arterial occlusion. Cardiovasc Res. 2010;88:179-85 pubmed publisher..Its absence in circulating cells improves tissue perfusion restoration after femoral artery ligation by increasing macrophage influx into the growing collateral vessels. ..
- Steevels T, van Avondt K, Westerlaken G, Stalpers F, Walk J, Bont L, et al. Signal inhibitory receptor on leukocytes-1 (SIRL-1) negatively regulates the oxidative burst in human phagocytes. Eur J Immunol. 2013;43:1297-308 pubmed publisher..We propose that SIRL-1 on phagocytes sets an activation threshold to prevent inappropriate production of oxygen radicals. Upon infection, SIRL-1 expression is downregulated, allowing microbial killing and clearance of the pathogen...
- Nieuwenhuizen L, Falkenburg W, Schutgens R, Roosendaal G, Van Veghel K, Biesma D, et al. Stimulation of naïve monocytes and PBMCs with coagulation proteases results in thrombin-mediated and PAR-1-dependent cytokine release and cell proliferation in PBMCs only. Scand J Immunol. 2013;77:339-49 pubmed publisher..These data demonstrate that naïve monocytes are not triggered by coagulation proteases, whereas thrombin is able to elicit pro-inflammatory events in a PAR-1-dependent manner in PBMCs. ..
- Schoneveld A, Hoefer I, Sluijter J, Laman J, de Kleijn D, Pasterkamp G. Atherosclerotic lesion development and Toll like receptor 2 and 4 responsiveness. Atherosclerosis. 2008;197:95-104 pubmed..However, with advanced stages of atherosclerotic disease, circulating blood cells become less responsive to TLR ligation, which may be due to chronic TLR engagement by endogenous EDA. ..
- Niers L, Timmerman H, Rijkers G, van Bleek G, van Uden N, Knol E, et al. Identification of strong interleukin-10 inducing lactic acid bacteria which down-regulate T helper type 2 cytokines. Clin Exp Allergy. 2005;35:1481-9 pubmed..These specific strains may be favorable to use in prevention or treatment of atopic disease. ..
- Versteeg D, Dol E, Hoefer I, Flier S, Buhre W, de Kleijn D, et al. Toll-like receptor 2 and 4 response and expression on monocytes decrease rapidly in patients undergoing arterial surgery and are related to preoperative smoking. Shock. 2009;31:21-7 pubmed publisher..These results point to a significant role for TLRs in the induction of postoperative immune tolerance. Furthermore, smoking is negatively related to baseline TLR response. ..
- Kamphuis S, Kavelaars A, Brooimans R, Kuis W, Zegers B, Heijnen C. T helper 2 cytokines induce preproenkephalin mRNA expression and proenkephalin A in human peripheral blood mononuclear cells. J Neuroimmunol. 1997;79:91-9 pubmed..IL-4 and IL-10 do not induce PPE mRNA via the same pathways. We could observe that PKA is involved in IL-4 mediated PPE mRNA induction, whereas IL-10 apparently uses another route. ..
- Steevels T, Lebbink R, Westerlaken G, Coffer P, Meyaard L. Signal inhibitory receptor on leukocytes-1 is a novel functional inhibitory immune receptor expressed on human phagocytes. J Immunol. 2010;184:4741-8 pubmed publisher..Thus, SIRL-1 is a novel inhibitory immune receptor belonging to the growing family of ITIM-bearing receptors that is implied in the regulation of phagocytes. ..
- Bouwman J, Diepersloot R, Visseren F. Intracellular infections enhance interleukin-6 and plasminogen activator inhibitor 1 production by cocultivated human adipocytes and THP-1 monocytes. Clin Vaccine Immunol. 2009;16:1222-7 pubmed publisher..Thus, infection of adipose tissue evokes an inflammatory response, leading to adipose tissue dysfunction and subsequent overproduction of IL-6 and PAI-1. This may further compound the atherogenic effects of obesity. ..