Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on middle aged in Utrecht, Netherlands
Locale: Utrecht, Netherlands
Topic: middle aged
Publications452 found, 100 shown here
- Prins M, Verhage R, ten Kate F, van Hillegersberg R. Cyclooxygenase isoenzyme-2 and vascular endothelial growth factor are associated with poor prognosis in esophageal adenocarcinoma. J Gastrointest Surg. 2012;16:956-66 pubmed publisher..No correlation between COX-2 and VEGF expression was found. Both markers were expressed in EAC and were associated with poor prognosis. The findings support the use of COX-2 and VEGF inhibitors in future clinical studies. ..
- Eussen S, Geleijnse J, Giltay E, Rompelberg C, Klungel O, Kromhout D. Effects of n-3 fatty acids on major cardiovascular events in statin users and non-users with a history of myocardial infarction. Eur Heart J. 2012;33:1582-8 pubmed publisher..This study suggests that statin treatment modifies the effects of n-3 fatty acids on the incidence of major cardiovascular events. ..
- van Lammeren G, Catanzariti L, Peelen L, de Vries J, de Kleijn D, Moll F, et al. Clinical prediction rule to estimate the absolute 3-year risk of major cardiovascular events after carotid endarterectomy. Stroke. 2012;43:1273-8 pubmed publisher..Despite our success in stratifying risk among these patients, even the lowest stratum remains at high risk and all of these patients should receive maximal secondary preventive measures. ..
- Post M, van Leeuwen C, van Koppenhagen C, De Groot S. Validity of the Life Satisfaction questions, the Life Satisfaction Questionnaire, and the Satisfaction With Life Scale in persons with spinal cord injury. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2012;93:1832-7 pubmed publisher..Despite questionable internal consistency, the concurrent and divergent validity of the LS Questions was at least as good as the validity of the LiSat-9 and the SWLS. ..
- Voets G, Platteel T, Fluit A, Scharringa J, Schapendonk C, Stuart J, et al. Population distribution of Beta-lactamase conferring resistance to third-generation cephalosporins in human clinical Enterobacteriaceae in the Netherlands. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e52102 pubmed publisher..Our findings demonstrate that bla(CTX-M-15) is the most prevalent ESBL and we report a larger than previously reported prevalence of ampC genes among Enterobacteriaceae responsible for resistance to third-generation cephalosporins. ..
- Abdul S, Boender J, Malfliet J, Eikenboom J, Fijn van Draat K, Mauser Bunschoten E, et al. Plasma levels of plasminogen activator inhibitor-1 and bleeding phenotype in patients with von Willebrand disease. Haemophilia. 2017;23:437-443 pubmed publisher..In young female VWD patients, we observed that low PAI-1 levels were associated with a higher bleeding score, which may partly explain the observed variability in bleeding phenotype in VWD patients. ..
- Determann D, Lambooij M, Steyerberg E, de Bekker Grob E, De Wit G. Impact of Survey Administration Mode on the Results of a Health-Related Discrete Choice Experiment: Online and Paper Comparison. Value Health. 2017;20:953-960 pubmed publisher..Because our findings are based on a nonrandomized DCE that covers one health domain only, research in other domains is needed to support our findings. ..
- de Vries D, Ter Linde J, van Herwaarden M, Smout A, Samsom M. Gastroesophageal reflux disease is associated with the C825T polymorphism in the G-protein beta3 subunit gene (GNB3). Am J Gastroenterol. 2009;104:281-5 pubmed publisher..The results for GERD subgroups support the hypothesis that enhanced perception of reflux events, as a consequence of the increased signal transduction upon GPCR activation associated with the 825T allele, underlies this association. ..
- Intema F, Thomas T, Anderson D, Elkins J, Brown T, Amendola A, et al. Subchondral bone remodeling is related to clinical improvement after joint distraction in the treatment of ankle osteoarthritis. Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2011;19:668-75 pubmed publisher..69). Treatment of advanced post-traumatic ankle OA with 3 months of joint distraction resulted in bone density normalization that was associated with clinical improvement. ..
- van der Straten L, van Stel H, Spee F, Vreeburg M, Schrijvers A, Sturms L. Safety and efficiency of triaging low urgent self-referred patients to a general practitioner at an acute care post: an observational study. Emerg Med J. 2012;29:877-81 pubmed publisher..Triage of low urgent patients with extremity problems and reasons for nurses not following a predefined triage allocation scheme need further elaboration. ..
- van Lutterveld R, Hillebrand A, Diederen K, Daalman K, Kahn R, Stam C, et al. Oscillatory cortical network involved in auditory verbal hallucinations in schizophrenia. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e41149 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that AVH are triggered by a short aberration in the theta band in a memory-related structure, followed by activity in language areas accompanying the experience of AVH itself. ..
- Gathier C, Oostdijk E, Rinkel G, Dorhout Mees S, Vergouwen M, de Smet A, et al. Preventive Antibiotics and Delayed Cerebral Ischaemia in Patients with Aneurysmal Subarachnoid Haemorrhage Admitted to the Intensive Care Unit. Neurocrit Care. 2016;24:122-7 pubmed publisher..8), the aRR for 28-day case-fatality was 1.1 (95% CI 0.7-1.9) and the aRR for poor functional outcome 1.2 (95% CI 1.0-1.4). Preventive antibiotics were not associated with reduced risk of DCI or poor outcome in aSAH patients in the ICU. ..
- Kölgen W, Both H, van Weelden H, Guikers K, Bruijnzeel Koomen C, Knol E, et al. Epidermal langerhans cell depletion after artificial ultraviolet B irradiation of human skin in vivo: apoptosis versus migration. J Invest Dermatol. 2002;118:812-7 pubmed..Ultraviolet B-induced Langerhans cell disappearance appears to be mainly attributable to migration. ..
- Sitarz R, Leguit R, de Leng W, Polak M, Morsink F, Bakker O, et al. The COX-2 promoter polymorphism -765 G>C is associated with early-onset, conventional and stump gastric cancers. Mod Pathol. 2008;21:685-90 pubmed publisher..Although early-onset gastric cancers appear to have a unique COX-2 expression pattern when compared with conventional gastric cancer, the exact mechanism by which this occurs is yet to be elucidated. ..
- Reijmer Y, van den Berg E, Dekker J, Nijpels G, Stehouwer C, Kappelle L, et al. The metabolic syndrome, atherosclerosis and cognitive functioning in a non-demented population: the Hoorn Study. Atherosclerosis. 2011;219:839-45 pubmed publisher..These findings should stimulate future studies to elucidate alternative mechanisms underlying cognitive deficits in individuals with MetS. ..
- Charaghvandi R, van Asselen B, Philippens M, Verkooijen H, van Gils C, van Diest P, et al. Redefining radiotherapy for early-stage breast cancer with single dose ablative treatment: a study protocol. BMC Cancer. 2017;17:181 pubmed publisher..ClinicalTrials.gov registration number NCT02316561 . The trial was registrated prospectively on October 10th 2014. ..
- Den Boer J, Westenberg H. Atypical neuroleptics in acute schizophrenia: a double-blind comparative study of remoxipride and haloperidol. Psychopharmacol Bull. 1990;26:99-107 pubmed..This study indicates that the newly developed neuroleptic remoxlpride is an effective, clinically safe, and well tolerated antipsychotic compound. In particular, few EPS were induced by remoxipride, as compared to haloperidol...
- Bos I, Hoogland G, Meine Jansen C, Willigen G, Spierenburg H, van den Berg L, et al. Increased glutamine synthetase but normal EAAT2 expression in platelets of ALS patients. Neurochem Int. 2006;48:306-11 pubmed..Thrombin-stimulation resulted in about a seven-fold increase in glutamate uptake. Our data suggest that glutamine synthetase may be a peripheral marker of ALS and encourage further investigation into the role of this enzyme in ALS. ..
- Verheus M, McKay J, Kaaks R, Canzian F, Biessy C, Johansson M, et al. Common genetic variation in the IGF-1 gene, serum IGF-I levels and breast density. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2008;112:109-22 pubmed..5 assuming prior probabilities of 0.01 and higher. Common genetic variation in the IGF-1 gene is related to circulating levels of IGF-I, but the relationship with breast density is indecisive. ..
- Mourits M, Wyrdeman H, Jurgenliemk Schulz I, Bidlot E. Favorable long-term results of primary pterygium removal by bare sclera extirpation followed by a single 90Strontium application. Eur J Ophthalmol. 2008;18:327-31 pubmed..To describe and compare long-term (> or = 36 months) effects of patients with 86 primary pterygia treated with bare sclera extirpation (BSE) followed by Beta-RT or by sham irradiation...
- van der Straaten H, Paquay M, Tilanus M, van Geloven N, Verdonck L, Huisman C. NOD2/CARD15 variants are not a risk factor for clinical outcome after nonmyeloablative allogeneic stem cell transplantation. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant. 2011;17:1231-6 pubmed publisher..Therefore, screening for NOD2/CARD15 polymorphisms in patients or donors does not have additional value in patients undergoing nonmyeloablative SCT. ..
- van Blitterswijk M, Van Vught P, van Es M, Schelhaas H, van der Kooi A, de Visser M, et al. Novel optineurin mutations in sporadic amyotrophic lateral sclerosis patients. Neurobiol Aging. 2012;33:1016.e1-7 pubmed publisher..SNP analysis did not reveal significant differences between ALS patients and control subjects. Therefore, variations in OPTN appear to be a rare cause of rapidly progressive SALS in the Netherlands. ..
- Feuth T, Arends J, Fransen J, Nanlohy N, van Erpecum K, Siersema P, et al. Complementary role of HCV and HIV in T-cell activation and exhaustion in HIV/HCV coinfection. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e59302 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, high percentages of cytotoxic/effector CD8(+) T-cells are associated with liver fibrosis in both HCV monoinfected and HIV/HCV coinfected patients. ..
- Sirdifield C, Godoy Caballero A, Windle K, Jackson C, McKay S, SchÃ¤fer W, et al. Comparing importance and performance from a patient perspective in English general practice: a cross-sectional survey. Fam Pract. 2016;33:179-85 pubmed publisher..Attributes needing most improvement concerned access to primary care and patient empowerment. More research is needed to identify how to improve access without generating unnecessary additional demand or compromising continuity of care. ..
- AbdulAzeez S, Al Nafie A, Al Shehri A, Borgio J, Baranova E, Al Madan M, et al. Intronic Polymorphisms in the CDKN2B-AS1 Gene Are Strongly Associated with the Risk of Myocardial Infarction and Coronary Artery Disease in the Saudi Population. Int J Mol Sci. 2016;17:395 pubmed publisher..0175) and a risk haplotype (TGGA p = 2.86 × 10 - 10) for the development of CAD. This study is in line with others that indicated that the SNPs located in the intronic region of the CDKN2B-AS1 gene are associated with CAD. ..
- Veldhuisen H, Zweers D, de Graaf E, Teunissen S. Assessment of anxiety in advanced cancer patients: a mixed methods study. Int J Palliat Nurs. 2016;22:341-50 pubmed publisher..Multifaceted strategies, leadership and education of nurses in the assessment and analysis of anxiety are needed to improve symptom management in advanced cancer patients. ..
- Brenkman H, Goense L, Brosens L, Haj Mohammad N, Vleggaar F, Ruurda J, et al. A High Lymph Node Yield is Associated with Prolonged Survival in Elderly Patients Undergoing Curative Gastrectomy for Cancer: A Dutch Population-Based Cohort Study. Ann Surg Oncol. 2017;24:2213-2223 pubmed publisher..Therefore, an extensive lymphadenectomy is the preferred strategy for all patients during gastrectomy in order to provide an optimal oncological result. ..
- Mertens J, Thurlings R, Kievit W, Seyger M, Radstake T, de Jong E. Long-term outcome of eosinophilic fasciitis: A cross-sectional evaluation of 35 patients. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2017;77:512-517.e5 pubmed publisher..All patients with EF had detectable residual damage. Impairment of HRQoL correlated to the extent of residual damage. Advanced age and signs of severe disease at presentation were associated with the severity of residual damage. ..
- Zomer T, van Duijkeren E, Wielders C, Veenman C, Hengeveld P, van der Hoek W, et al. Prevalence and risk factors for colonization of Clostridium difficile among adults living near livestock farms in the Netherlands. Epidemiol Infect. 2017;145:2745-2749 pubmed publisher..CD-positive persons did not live closer to livestock farms than individuals negative for CD. Antibiotic exposure in the preceding 3 months was a risk factor for CD colonization (odds ratio 3·70; 95% confidence interval 1·25-10·95)...
- Vonken E, van Osch M, Bakker C, Viergever M. Simultaneous quantitative cerebral perfusion and Gd-DTPA extravasation measurement with dual-echo dynamic susceptibility contrast MRI. Magn Reson Med. 2000;43:820-7 pubmed..It is applicable whether extravasation occurs or not. When extravasation is present, application of the proposed method is mandatory for accurate cerebral blood volume measurements. Magn Reson Med 43:820-827, 2000. ..
- Kanters S, Banga J, Algra A, Frijns R, Beutler J, Fijnheer R. Plasma levels of cellular fibronectin in diabetes. Diabetes Care. 2001;24:323-7 pubmed..These results suggest that circulating cellular fibronectin may be a marker protein for endothelial cell activation, especially in diabetes. Prospective studies are needed to explore this possibility ..
- van Gijn J. The PROGRESS Trial: preventing strokes by lowering blood pressure in patients with cerebral ischemia. Emerging therapies: critique of an important advance. Stroke. 2002;33:319-20 pubmed
- Sabour S, Franx A, Rutten A, Grobbee D, Prokop M, Bartelink M, et al. High blood pressure in pregnancy and coronary calcification. Hypertension. 2007;49:813-7 pubmed..04 to 2.37). After adjusting for age, the relation did not change (OR: 1.64; 95% CI: 1.07 to 2.53). We concluded that high blood pressure during pregnancy is associated with an increased risk of coronary calcification later in life. ..
- Janssen J, Hulshoff Pol H, Schnack H, Kok R, Lampe I, de Leeuw F, et al. Cerebral volume measurements and subcortical white matter lesions and short-term treatment response in late life depression. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2007;22:468-74 pubmed..Structural brain measures associated with late life depression may not be related to short-term treatment response. ..
- Risselada A, Vehof J, Bruggeman R, Wilffert B, Cohen D, Al Hadithy A, et al. Association between HTR2C gene polymorphisms and the metabolic syndrome in patients using antipsychotics: a replication study. Pharmacogenomics J. 2012;12:62-7 pubmed publisher..015). No association was found between the HTR2C -759 C/T polymorphism and the metabolic syndrome. This study confirms previous findings that the variant C-allele of the rs1414334 polymorphism is associated with the metabolic syndrome. ..
- Schouten L, Niessen L, van de Pas J, Grol R, Hulscher M. Cost-effectiveness of a quality improvement collaborative focusing on patients with diabetes. Med Care. 2010;48:884-91 pubmed publisher..Optimizing integrated and patient-centered diabetes care through a quality-improvement collaborative is cost-effective compared with usual care. ..
- Kelder J, Cramer M, Rutten F, Plokker H, Grobbee D, Hoes A. The furosemide diagnostic test in suspected slow-onset heart failure: popular but not useful. Eur J Heart Fail. 2011;13:513-7 pubmed publisher..We cannot support the use of the furosemide test as an ancillary diagnostic test in patients suspected of new, slow-onset heart failure. ..
- Damman O, Hendriks M, Rademakers J, Spreeuwenberg P, Delnoij D, Groenewegen P. Consumers' interpretation and use of comparative information on the quality of health care: the effect of presentation approaches. Health Expect. 2012;15:197-211 pubmed publisher..More research is needed to further unravel the effects of presentation formats on consumer decision making in health care. ..
- Bruins Slot M, Rutten F, van der Heijden G, Doevendans P, Mast E, Bredero A, et al. Gender differences in pre-hospital time delay and symptom presentation in patients suspected of acute coronary syndrome in primary care. Fam Pract. 2012;29:332-7 pubmed publisher..Symptom presentation was largely similar between men and women, although women tended to report 'spreading' chest pain more often. ..
- Bazelier M, De Vries F, Bentzen J, Vestergaard P, Leufkens H, van Staa T, et al. Incidence of fractures in patients with multiple sclerosis: the Danish National Health Registers. Mult Scler. 2012;18:622-7 pubmed publisher..36 [2.75-4.11]), femur fracture (6.66 [5.06-8.76]) and hip fracture (3.20 [2.83-3.62]) were elevated in MS patients versus controls. Fractures occurred more often in patients with MS, especially fractures of the tibia, hip and femur. ..
- Twigt B, van Dalen T, Vollebregt A, Kortlandt W, Vriens M, Borel Rinkes I. The additional value of intraoperative parathyroid hormone assessment is marginal in patients with nonfamilial primary hyperparathyroidism: a prospective cohort study. Am J Surg. 2012;204:1-6 pubmed publisher..7%). IOPTH would have changed the outcome in 2 patients, increasing the biochemical cure rate from 96% to 98%. We believe that although it can be helpful in certain cases, it may not be necessary routinely in patients treated for pHPT. ..
- Mahmoudpour S, Leusink M, van der Putten L, Terreehorst I, Asselbergs F, de Boer A, et al. Pharmacogenetics of ACE inhibitor-induced angioedema and cough: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Pharmacogenomics. 2013;14:249-60 pubmed publisher..One gene region (XPNPEP2) was associated with ACEI-induced angioedema in three studies. In our meta-analysis we did not find a significant association between the ACE insertion/deletion polymorphism and ACEI cough. ..
- Wisse R, Godefrooij D, Soeters N, Imhof S, Van der Lelij A. A multivariate analysis and statistical model for predicting visual acuity and keratometry one year after cross-linking for keratoconus. Am J Ophthalmol. 2014;157:519-25.e1-2 pubmed publisher..Visual acuity outcome can be predicted accurately based on pretreatment visual acuity. Age, sex, and K(max) are debated as independent factors for predicting the outcome of treating keratoconus with CXL. ..
- van Dijk C, Korevaar J, Koopmans B, de Jong J, de Bakker D. The primary-secondary care interface: does provision of more services in primary care reduce referrals to medical specialists?. Health Policy. 2014;118:48-55 pubmed publisher..Another explanation for our results could be that certain preconditions have not been met. ..
- Budding K, van de Graaf E, Kardol Hoefnagel T, Broen J, Kwakkel van Erp J, Oudijk E, et al. A Promoter Polymorphism in the CD59 Complement Regulatory Protein Gene in Donor Lungs Correlates With a Higher Risk for Chronic Rejection After Lung Transplantation. Am J Transplant. 2016;16:987-98 pubmed publisher..These findings support a role for complement in the pathogenesis of this posttransplant complication and are the first to show a deleterious association of a donor CD59 promoter polymorphism in lung transplantation. ..
- Coloma P, De Ridder M, Bezemer I, Herings R, Gini R, Pecchioli S, et al. Risk of cardiac valvulopathy with use of bisphosphonates: a population-based, multi-country case-control study. Osteoporos Int. 2016;27:1857-67 pubmed publisher..Further studies are still needed to evaluate whether bisphosphonates increase or decrease the risk of valvulopathy and to investigate possible mechanisms for the association. ..
- Severs M, van Erp S, van der Valk M, Mangen M, Fidder H, van der Have M, et al. Smoking is Associated With Extra-intestinal Manifestations in Inflammatory Bowel Disease. J Crohns Colitis. 2016;10:455-61 pubmed publisher..There is a robust dose-dependent association between active smoking and EIMs in both CD and UC patients. Smoking cessation was found to result in a rapid reduction of EIM prevalence to levels encountered in never smokers. ..
- van Giessen A, Boonman de Winter L, Rutten F, Cramer M, Landman M, Liem A, et al. Cost-effectiveness of screening strategies to detect heart failure in patients with type 2 diabetes. Cardiovasc Diabetol. 2016;15:48 pubmed publisher..The simplicity of such a strategy makes it feasible for implementation in existing primary care diabetes management programs. ..
- Steinbuch J, van Dijk A, Schreuder F, Truijman M, Hendrikse J, Nederkoorn P, et al. Definition of common carotid wall thickness affects risk classification in relation to degree of internal carotid artery stenosis: the Plaque At RISK (PARISK) study. Cardiovasc Ultrasound. 2017;15:9 pubmed publisher..It is more reasonable to normalize maximal wall thickness to end-diastolic diameter rather than to IMT, affecting risk classification and suggesting modification of the Mannheim criteria. Clinical trials.gov NCT01208025 . ..
- Bos L, Schouten L, van Vught L, Wiewel M, Ong D, Cremer O, et al. Identification and validation of distinct biological phenotypes in patients with acute respiratory distress syndrome by cluster analysis. Thorax. 2017;72:876-883 pubmed publisher..The phenotypes were very similar to those found in cohorts derived from randomised controlled trials, and these results may improve patient selection for future clinical trials targeting host response in patients with ARDS. ..
- Eggink F, Mom C, Boll D, Ezendam N, Kruitwagen R, Pijnenborg J, et al. Compliance with adjuvant treatment guidelines in endometrial cancer: room for improvement in high risk patients. Gynecol Oncol. 2017;146:380-385 pubmed publisher..Eagerly awaited results of ongoing randomized clinical trials may provide more definitive guidance regarding adjuvant therapy for high risk endometrial cancer patients. ..
- Geerlings S, Stolk R, Camps M, Netten P, Collet T, Hoepelman A. Risk factors for symptomatic urinary tract infection in women with diabetes. Diabetes Care. 2000;23:1737-41 pubmed..42% with ASB, RR = 1.65, P = 0.04). Risk factors for developing a UTI are the presence of ASB for women with type 2 diabetes and sexual intercourse during the week before entry into the study for women with type 1 diabetes. ..
- Kuipers S, Aerts P, Cluysenaer O, Bartelink A, Ezekowitz R, Bax W, et al. A case of familial meningococcal disease due to deficiency in mannose-binding lectin (MBL). Adv Exp Med Biol. 2003;531:351-5 pubmed
- van Wijk J, de Koning E, Cabezas M, Op t Roodt J, Joven J, Rabelink T, et al. Comparison of rosiglitazone and metformin for treating HIV lipodystrophy: a randomized trial. Ann Intern Med. 2005;143:337-46 pubmed..The findings emphasize the importance of individualized care in HIV-infected patients. Although rosiglitazone may partly correct lipoatrophy, metformin improves visceral fat accumulation, fasting lipid profile, and endothelial function. ..
- Peeters K, Nordlee J, Penninks A, Chen L, Goodman R, Bruijnzeel Koomen C, et al. Lupine allergy: not simply cross-reactivity with peanut or soy. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2007;120:647-53 pubmed..Lupine allergy might be the consequence of cross-reactivity after sensitization to peanut or other legumes or de novo sensitization. Lupine allergens have not been completely characterized...
- Hajer G, van der Graaf Y, Olijhoek J, Edlinger M, Visseren F. Low plasma levels of adiponectin are associated with low risk for future cardiovascular events in patients with clinical evident vascular disease. Am Heart J. 2007;154:750.e1-7 pubmed..Therefore, it may be hypothesized that the potential antiatherosclerotic properties of adiponectin do not apply for patients with already established vascular disease. ..
- Wijkstra J, Burger H, van den Broek W, Birkenhager T, Janzing J, Boks M, et al. Long-term response to successful acute pharmacological treatment of psychotic depression. J Affect Disord. 2010;123:238-42 pubmed publisher..Continuation treatment with the same medication that was effective in the acute treatment trial, remained effective during the 4 month follow-up in many patients leading to further improvement, and was well tolerated. ..
- van Steenbergen Weijenburg K, van der Feltz Cornelis C, Horn E, van Marwijk H, Beekman A, Rutten F, et al. Cost-effectiveness of collaborative care for the treatment of major depressive disorder in primary care. A systematic review. BMC Health Serv Res. 2010;10:19 pubmed publisher..However, to conclude on the cost-effectiveness, depression research should follow economic guidelines to improve the quality of the economic evaluations. ..
- Hirdes M, Schwartz M, Tytgat K, Schlösser N, Sie Go D, Brink M, et al. Performance of EUS-FNA for mediastinal lymphadenopathy: impact on patient management and costs in low-volume EUS centers. Surg Endosc. 2010;24:2260-7 pubmed publisher..Moreover, EUS-FNA plays an important role in the management of patients with mediastinal lymphadenopathy and reduces total diagnostic costs. ..
- Jongen L, van der Worp H, Waaijer A, van der Graaf Y, Mali W. Interrelation between the degree of carotid stenosis, collateral circulation and cerebral perfusion. Cerebrovasc Dis. 2010;30:277-84 pubmed publisher..A relation between the configuration of the CoW and cerebral perfusion was not detected, suggesting that other collateral pathways play an important role. ..
- Gawlitta D, Fledderus J, Van Rijen M, Dokter I, Alblas J, Verhaar M, et al. Hypoxia impedes vasculogenesis of in vitro engineered bone. Tissue Eng Part A. 2012;18:208-18 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, our normoxic co-culture model containing cells from clinically relevant sources sustained simultaneous endothelial, smooth muscle, and osteogenic differentiation. ..
- van Lammeren G, Pasterkamp G, de Vries J, Bosch L, de Haan J, de Kleijn D, et al. Platelets enter atherosclerotic plaque via intraplaque microvascular leakage and intraplaque hemorrhage: a histopathological study in carotid plaques. Atherosclerosis. 2012;222:355-9 pubmed publisher..It can be hypothesized that platelets might serve as a marker for leaky microvessels inside atherosclerotic plaques that are at risk for development, or progression of plaque hemorrhage. ..
- Mets O, Smit E, Mohamed Hoesein F, Gietema H, Bokkers R, Attrach M, et al. Visual versus automated evaluation of chest computed tomography for the presence of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e42227 pubmed publisher..Automated evaluation of COPD subjects using quantitative CT measures appears superior to visual evaluation by human observers. ..
- Hijnen D, Knol E, Gent Y, Giovannone B, Beijn S, Kupper T, et al. CD8(+) T cells in the lesional skin of atopic dermatitis and psoriasis patients are an important source of IFN-?, IL-13, IL-17, and IL-22. J Invest Dermatol. 2013;133:973-9 pubmed publisher..Our findings demonstrate that CD8(+) T cells are a significant and previously unappreciated source of inflammatory cytokine production in both AD and psoriasis. ..
- Streppel M, Lata S, delaBastide M, Montgomery E, Wang J, Canto M, et al. Next-generation sequencing of endoscopic biopsies identifies ARID1A as a tumor-suppressor gene in Barrett's esophagus. Oncogene. 2014;33:347-57 pubmed publisher..Further, we identify ARID1A as a novel tumor-suppressor gene in BE pathogenesis, reiterating the importance of aberrant chromatin in the metaplasia-dysplasia sequence. ..
- Leenders M, Sluijs I, Ros M, Boshuizen H, Siersema P, Ferrari P, et al. Fruit and vegetable consumption and mortality: European prospective investigation into cancer and nutrition. Am J Epidemiol. 2013;178:590-602 pubmed publisher..Inverse associations were stronger for raw than for cooked vegetable consumption. These results support the evidence that fruit and vegetable consumption is associated with a lower risk of death. ..
- van Baal M, Bollen T, Bakker O, van Goor H, Boermeester M, Dejong C, et al. The role of routine fine-needle aspiration in the diagnosis of infected necrotizing pancreatitis. Surgery. 2014;155:442-8 pubmed publisher..07). Mortality was 19% and was not different between groups (P = .39). INP can generally be diagnosed based on clinical or imaging signs of infection. FNA may be useful in patients with unclear clinical signs and no imaging signs of INP. ..
- van Mierlo H, van Coevorden Hameete M, Munting L, de Graaff E, de Witte L. No evidence for the presence of neuronal surface autoantibodies in plasma of patients with schizophrenia. Eur Neuropsychopharmacol. 2015;25:2326-32 pubmed publisher..Based on our results it seems unlikely that autoantibodies against neuronal cell surface antigens play a role in the pathogenesis of schizophrenia, although further studies using cerebrospinal fluid are needed. ..
- Koole K, van Kempen P, Swartz J, Peeters T, van Diest P, Koole R, et al. Fibroblast growth factor receptor 3 protein is overexpressed in oral and oropharyngeal squamous cell carcinoma. Cancer Med. 2016;5:275-84 pubmed publisher..Therefore, it may serve as a potential therapeutic target for FGFR3-directed therapies in oral and oropharyngeal squamous cell carcinoma. ..
- van der Molen T, Postma D, Martin R, Herings R, Overbeek J, Thomas V, et al. Effectiveness of initiating extrafine-particle versus fine-particle inhaled corticosteroids as asthma therapy in the Netherlands. BMC Pulm Med. 2016;16:80 pubmed publisher..Of importance, this was reached at significantly lower prescribed dose. ..
- Bakker P, Meijburg H, de Vries J, Mower M, Thomas A, Hull M, et al. Biventricular pacing in end-stage heart failure improves functional capacity and left ventricular function. J Interv Card Electrophysiol. 2000;4:395-404 pubmed
- Jellema K, Groeneveld G, van Gijn J. [Fever, large eyes and confusion; the anticholinergic syndrome]. Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd. 2002;146:2173-6 pubmed..A specific anamnesis with respect to medicines, eye drops and berries or plants consumed can confirm the diagnosis. It is important to recognise an anticholinergic intoxication because without treatment, the outcome can be fatal...
- Vleggaar F, Monkelbaan J, van Erpecum K. Probiotics in primary sclerosing cholangitis: a randomized placebo-controlled crossover pilot study. Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2008;20:688-92 pubmed publisher..Inflammatory bowel disease concurs in 90% of primary sclerosing cholangitis (PSC) patients, suggesting that substances originating from the inflamed gut may damage the biliary tree...
- Kerckhoffs A, Visser M, Samsom M, van der Rest M, de Vogel J, Harmsen W, et al. Critical evaluation of diagnosing bacterial overgrowth in the proximal small intestine. J Clin Gastroenterol. 2008;42:1095-102 pubmed publisher..Culturing showed less bacterial overgrowth in controls compared with BT. Remarkably, current diagnostic criteria do not seem to be accurate in discriminating between SBBO subjects and controls. ..
- Van Riel E, Wárlám Rodenhuis C, Verhoef S, Rutgers E, Ausems M. BRCA testing of breast cancer patients: medical specialists' referral patterns, knowledge and attitudes to genetic testing. Eur J Cancer Care (Engl). 2010;19:369-76 pubmed publisher..Further studies are needed to gain insight into the actual referral process, while ongoing training of medical specialists about genetic aspects of breast cancer is also necessary. ..
- Kesecioglu J, Beale R, Stewart T, Findlay G, Rouby J, Holzapfel L, et al. Exogenous natural surfactant for treatment of acute lung injury and the acute respiratory distress syndrome. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2009;180:989-94 pubmed publisher..Clinical trial registered with www.clinicaltrials.gov (NCT 00742482). ..
- Ververs F, Voorbij H, Zwarts P, Belitser S, Egberts T, Visser G, et al. Effect of cytochrome P450 2D6 genotype on maternal paroxetine plasma concentrations during pregnancy. Clin Pharmacokinet. 2009;48:677-83 pubmed publisher..Knowledge about a patient's CYP2D6 genotype is indispensable when prescribing paroxetine in pregnancy [trialregister.nl Identifier ISRCTN25383361]. ..
- Jansen C, Voet W, Head M, Parchi P, Yull H, Verrips A, et al. A novel seven-octapeptide repeat insertion in the prion protein gene (PRNP) in a Dutch pedigree with Gerstmann-StrÃ¤ussler-Scheinker disease phenotype: comparison with similar cases from the literature. Acta Neuropathol. 2011;121:59-68 pubmed publisher
- Kanis M, Lemij H, Berendschot T, van de Kraats J, van Norren D. Foveal cone photoreceptor involvement in primary open-angle glaucoma. Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol. 2010;248:999-1006 pubmed publisher..The integrity of the foveal cone outer segments, and the reflectance of the central ILM were impaired in POAG with advanced central visual field defects. ..
- Ten Broeke Smits N, Kummer J, Bleys R, Fluit A, Boel C. Hair follicles as a niche of Staphylococcus aureus in the nose; is a more effective decolonisation strategy needed?. J Hosp Infect. 2010;76:211-4 pubmed publisher..The presence of S. aureus in hair follicles suggests that this could be the niche from which relapses occur after decolonisation. Decolonisation strategies might have to be reconsidered...
- Kok L, Elias S, Witteman B, Goedhard J, Muris J, Moons K, et al. Diagnostic accuracy of point-of-care fecal calprotectin and immunochemical occult blood tests for diagnosis of organic bowel disease in primary care: the Cost-Effectiveness of a Decision Rule for Abdominal Complaints in Primary Care (CEDAR) study. Clin Chem. 2012;58:989-98 pubmed publisher..When only adenomas >1 cm were considered OBD, all tests could rule out OBD to a reasonable extent, particularly the combined POC tests. The tests were less useful for inclusion of OBD. ..
- Hagen F, Illnait Zaragozi M, Meis J, Chew W, Curfs Breuker I, Mouton J, et al. Extensive genetic diversity within the Dutch clinical Cryptococcus neoformans population. J Clin Microbiol. 2012;50:1918-26 pubmed publisher..03 ?g/ml) had much lower geometric mean MICs. One isolate had a high flucytosine MIC (>64 ?g/ml), while decreased susceptibility (?16 ?g/ml) for flucytosine and fluconazole was found in 9 and 10 C. neoformans isolates, respectively. ..
- Bos N, Sturms L, Schrijvers A, van Stel H. The Consumer Quality index (CQ-index) in an accident and emergency department: development and first evaluation. BMC Health Serv Res. 2012;12:284 pubmed..Preliminary psychometric characteristics are sufficient to justify further research into reliability and validity. ..
- Luitse M, van Seeters T, Horsch A, Kool H, Velthuis B, Kappelle L, et al. Admission hyperglycaemia and cerebral perfusion deficits in acute ischaemic stroke. Cerebrovasc Dis. 2013;35:163-7 pubmed publisher..Therefore, our study suggests that there might be a window of opportunity for glucose-lowering therapy in the future. ..
- Dik V, Bueno de Mesquita H, van Oijen M, Siersema P, Uiterwaal C, van Gils C, et al. Coffee and tea consumption, genotype-based CYP1A2 and NAT2 activity and colorectal cancer risk-results from the EPIC cohort study. Int J Cancer. 2014;135:401-12 pubmed publisher..This study shows that coffee and tea consumption is not likely to be associated with overall CRC. ..
- Hale W, Crocetti E, Nelemans S, Branje S, van Lier P, Koot H, et al. Mother and adolescent expressed emotion and adolescent internalizing and externalizing symptom development: a six-year longitudinal study. Eur Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2016;25:615-24 pubmed publisher..The findings of this study should give both researchers and therapists a reason to reevaluate only using the EE effects model assumption in future EE studies. ..
- de Rooij T, Tol J, van Eijck C, Boerma D, Bonsing B, Bosscha K, et al. Outcomes of Distal Pancreatectomy for Pancreatic Ductal Adenocarcinoma in the Netherlands: A Nationwide Retrospective Analysis. Ann Surg Oncol. 2016;23:585-91 pubmed publisher..Further studies should assess to what extent prevention of surgical complications and more extensive use of adjuvant chemotherapy can improve survival. ..
- de Roij van Zuijdewijn C, Grooteman M, Bots M, Blankestijn P, van den Dorpel M, NubÃ© M, et al. Comparing Tests Assessing Protein-Energy Wasting: Relation With Quality of Life. J Ren Nutr. 2016;26:111-7 pubmed publisher..Of the 8 investigated nutrition-related tests, only MIS correlates with all QOL domains (13 of 13) with the strongest associations. ..