Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on animals in Utrecht, Netherlands
Locale: Utrecht, Netherlands
Publications559 found, 100 shown here
- Hendrickx A, van Schaik W, Willems R. The cell wall architecture of Enterococcus faecium: from resistance to pathogenesis. Future Microbiol. 2013;8:993-1010 pubmed publisher..faecium. ..
- van Coevorden Hameete M, de Graaff E, Titulaer M, Hoogenraad C, Sillevis Smitt P. Molecular and cellular mechanisms underlying anti-neuronal antibody mediated disorders of the central nervous system. Autoimmun Rev. 2014;13:299-312 pubmed publisher..Unraveling the predominant mechanism in each distinct antigen could provide clues for therapeutic interventions. ..
- Evers van Gogh I, Oteng A, Alex S, Hamers N, Catoire M, Stienstra R, et al. Muscle-specific inflammation induced by MCP-1 overexpression does not affect whole-body insulin sensitivity in mice. Diabetologia. 2016;59:624-33 pubmed publisher..Overall, our data argue against MCP-1 promoting insulin resistance in skeletal muscle and raise questions about the impact of inflammation on insulin sensitivity in muscle. ..
- Oosterwegel M, van de Wetering M, Timmerman J, Kruisbeek A, Destree O, Meijlink F, et al. Differential expression of the HMG box factors TCF-1 and LEF-1 during murine embryogenesis. Development. 1993;118:439-48 pubmed..Postnatally, expression of both genes could only be detected in lymphoid tissues. These observations suggest that TCF-1 and LEF-1 exert differential functions during murine embryogenesis. ..
- van Duijkeren E, Houwers D. A critical assessment of antimicrobial treatment in uncomplicated Salmonella enteritis. Vet Microbiol. 2000;73:61-73 pubmed
- Ketting R, Fischer S, Bernstein E, Sijen T, Hannon G, Plasterk R. Dicer functions in RNA interference and in synthesis of small RNA involved in developmental timing in C. elegans. Genes Dev. 2001;15:2654-9 pubmed..dcr-1 mutants show a defect in RNAi. Furthermore, a combination of phenotypic abnormalities and RNA analysis suggests a role for dcr-1 in a regulatory pathway comprised of small temporal RNA (let-7) and its target (e.g., lin-41). ..
- Bekker C, Bell Sakyi L, Paxton E, Martinez D, Bensaid A, Jongejan F. Transcriptional analysis of the major antigenic protein 1 multigene family of Cowdria ruminantium. Gene. 2002;285:193-201 pubmed..When transcribed, map1-1 was present on a polycistronic messenger together with map1. ..
- Hagenaars N, Mastrobattista E, Verheul R, Mooren I, Glansbeek H, Heldens J, et al. Physicochemical and immunological characterization of N,N,N-trimethyl chitosan-coated whole inactivated influenza virus vaccine for intranasal administration. Pharm Res. 2009;26:1353-64 pubmed publisher..n. delivery of WIV. Coating of WIV with TMC is a simple procedure to improve the delivery and immunogenicity of i.n. administered WIV and may enable effective i.n. vaccination against influenza. ..
- Giltay J, Maiburg M. Klinefelter syndrome: clinical and molecular aspects. Expert Rev Mol Diagn. 2010;10:765-76 pubmed publisher..Surgical procedures of obtaining sperm in combination with repeated intracytoplasmic sperm injection/in vitro fertilization treatment may allow up to one in four men with Klinefelter syndrome to father children...
- Gadella B, Evans J. Membrane fusions during mammalian fertilization. Adv Exp Med Biol. 2011;713:65-80 pubmed publisher..In addition, there is a block at the level of the oolemma (also known as the membrane block to polyspermy). ..
- Nijboer C, Heijnen C, van der Kooij M, Zijlstra J, van Velthoven C, Culmsee C, et al. Targeting the p53 pathway to protect the neonatal ischemic brain. Ann Neurol. 2011;70:255-64 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, targeting p53 mitochondrial association by PFT-Î¼ may develop into a novel and powerful neuroprotective strategy. ..
- Koo B, Stange D, Sato T, Karthaus W, Farin H, Huch M, et al. Controlled gene expression in primary Lgr5 organoid cultures. Nat Methods. 2011;9:81-3 pubmed publisher..We present here a method based on Cre recombinase-inducible retrovirus vectors that allows the conditional manipulation of gene expression in primary mouse organoid culture systems. ..
- Zhou H, Ye M, Dong J, Corradini E, Cristobal A, Heck A, et al. Robust phosphoproteome enrichment using monodisperse microsphere-based immobilized titanium (IV) ion affinity chromatography. Nat Protoc. 2013;8:461-80 pubmed publisher..It takes ?2 weeks to complete the protocol: 1 week to prepare the Ti(4+)-IMAC material, 2 d for sample preparation, 3 d for MS analysis of the enriched sample and 2 d for data analysis. ..
- Labrijn A, Meesters J, de Goeij B, van den Bremer E, Neijssen J, van Kampen M, et al. Efficient generation of stable bispecific IgG1 by controlled Fab-arm exchange. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013;110:5145-50 pubmed publisher..Proof-of-concept studies with HER2×CD3 (T-cell recruitment) and HER2×HER2 (dual epitope targeting) bsAbs demonstrate superior in vivo activity compared with parental antibody pairs. ..
- Veldhuis A, Brouwer Middelesch H, Marceau A, Madouasse A, Van der Stede Y, Fourichon C, et al. Application of syndromic surveillance on routinely collected cattle reproduction and milk production data for the early detection of outbreaks of Bluetongue and Schmallenberg viruses. Prev Vet Med. 2016;124:15-24 pubmed publisher
- de Groot R, Maduro J, Lenstra J, Horzinek M, van der Zeijst B, Spaan W. cDNA cloning and sequence analysis of the gene encoding the peplomer protein of feline infectious peritonitis virus. J Gen Virol. 1987;68 ( Pt 10):2639-46 pubmed..Comparison of the sequences of the FIPV, murine hepatitis virus and infectious bronchitis virus peplomer proteins showed about 27% overall homology, with most conservation in the C-terminal half. ..
- Caldenhoven E, van Dijk T, Solari R, Armstrong J, Raaijmakers J, Lammers J, et al. STAT3beta, a splice variant of transcription factor STAT3, is a dominant negative regulator of transcription. J Biol Chem. 1996;271:13221-7 pubmed..Instead, co-expression of STAT3beta inhibits the transactivation potential of STAT3. These results suggests that STAT3beta functions as a negative regulator of transcription. ..
- Santos M, Schilham M, Rademakers L, Marx J, de Sousa M, Clevers H. Defective iron homeostasis in beta 2-microglobulin knockout mice recapitulates hereditary hemochromatosis in man. J Exp Med. 1996;184:1975-85 pubmed..Our data provide functional support for the proposed causative role of HLA-H mutations in HH. ..
- de Vet E, Ijlst L, Oostheim W, Wanders R, van den Bosch H. Alkyl-dihydroxyacetonephosphate synthase. Fate in peroxisome biogenesis disorders and identification of the point mutation underlying a single enzyme deficiency. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:10296-301 pubmed..The enzyme is efficiently protected against this inactivation when the substrate palmitoyl-DHAP is present at a saturating concentration. The gene encoding human alkyl-dihydroxyacetonephosphate synthase was mapped on chromosome 2q31. ..
- de Groot E, Feijen A, Eib D, Zwijsen A, Sugino H, Martens G, et al. Expression patterns of follistatin and two follistatin-related proteins during mouse development. Int J Dev Biol. 2000;44:327-30 pubmed..0, while FRP is detected from E7.5 onwards. Although there is some overlap between the expression of these genes in the primitive streak and somites, their overall expression patterns are distinct. ..
- Bouwknecht J, Hijzen T, van der Gugten J, Maes R, Hen R, Olivier B. Ethanol intake is not elevated in male 5-HT(1B) receptor knockout mice. Eur J Pharmacol. 2000;403:95-8 pubmed..Hence, the initial finding of elevated ethanol intake in 5-HT(1B) receptor knockout mice may have been due to phenotypic differences in fluid intake. ..
- Verster J, Volkerts E. Clinical pharmacology, clinical efficacy, and behavioral toxicity of alprazolam: a review of the literature. CNS Drug Rev. 2004;10:45-76 pubmed..Since the majority of alprazolam users are outpatients, this behavioral impairment limits the safe use of alprazolam in patients routinely engaged in potentially dangerous daily activities, such as driving a car. ..
- Lebbink R, de Ruiter T, Verbrugge A, Bril W, Meyaard L. The mouse homologue of the leukocyte-associated Ig-like receptor-1 is an inhibitory receptor that recruits Src homology region 2-containing protein tyrosine phosphatase (SHP)-2, but not SHP-1. J Immunol. 2004;172:5535-43 pubmed..Screening human and mouse cell lines for mLAIR-1 and human LAIR-1 binding partners identified several lines expressing putative ligand(s) for both receptors. ..
- Haas P, de Haas C, Kleibeuker W, Poppelier M, Van Kessel K, Kruijtzer J, et al. N-terminal residues of the chemotaxis inhibitory protein of Staphylococcus aureus are essential for blocking formylated peptide receptor but not C5a receptor. J Immunol. 2004;173:5704-11 pubmed..4 +/- 7.7 nM) could be an important new tool to further stimulate the fundamental research on the mechanisms underlying the FPR and its role in disease processes. ..
- Coudreuse D, Roël G, Betist M, Destree O, Korswagen H. Wnt gradient formation requires retromer function in Wnt-producing cells. Science. 2006;312:921-4 pubmed..These results demonstrate that the ability of Wnt to regulate long-range patterning events is dependent on a critical and conserved function of the retromer complex within Wnt-producing cells. ..
- Roosendaal S, Kerver J, Schipper M, Rodenburg K, Van der Horst D. The complex of the insect LDL receptor homolog, lipophorin receptor, LpR, and its lipoprotein ligand does not dissociate under endosomal conditions. FEBS J. 2008;275:1751-66 pubmed publisher..Together, these data indicate that LpR and HDLp travel in complex to the endocytic recycling compartment, which constitutes a key determinant for ligand recycling by LpR. ..
- Koeners M, Braam B, van der Giezen D, Goldschmeding R, Joles J. A perinatal nitric oxide donor increases renal vascular resistance and ameliorates hypertension and glomerular injury in adult fawn-hooded hypertensive rats. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2008;294:R1847-55 pubmed publisher..The mechanisms by which increased perinatal NO availability can persistently reprogram kidney function and ameliorate hypertension deserve further study. ..
- Rao N, van Wolferen M, van den Ham R, van Leenen D, Groot Koerkamp M, Holstege F, et al. cDNA microarray profiles of canine mammary tumour cell lines reveal deregulated pathways pertaining to their phenotype. Anim Genet. 2008;39:333-45 pubmed publisher..In addition these cell lines can be used to further investigate identified deregulated pathways and characterize until now unannotated genes. ..
- Sohns W, van Veen T, van der Heyden M. Regulatory roles of the ubiquitin-proteasome system in cardiomyocyte apoptosis. Curr Mol Med. 2010;10:1-13 pubmed..Finally, within the ubiquitin-proteasome system new molecular targets for treatment of cardiovascular disease are suggested. ..
- Dingemans M, Heusinkveld H, Bergman A, van den Berg M, Westerink R. Bromination pattern of hydroxylated metabolites of BDE-47 affects their potency to release calcium from intracellular stores in PC12 cells. Environ Health Perspect. 2010;118:519-25 pubmed publisher..Importantly, shielding of the OH group on both sides with bromine atoms and/or the ether bond to the other phenyl ring lowers the potency of hydroxylated PBDE metabolites. ..
- van der Kolk J, Wijnberg I, Westermann C, Dorland L, de Sain van der Velden M, Kranenburg L, et al. Equine acquired multiple acyl-CoA dehydrogenase deficiency (MADD) in 14 horses associated with ingestion of Maple leaves (Acer pseudoplatanus) covered with European tar spot (Rhytisma acerinum). Mol Genet Metab. 2010;101:289-91 pubmed publisher..Assessment of organic acids, glycine conjugates, and acylcarnitines in urine was regarded as gold standard in the biochemical diagnosis of equine acquired multiple acyl-CoA dehydrogenase deficiency. ..
- Ten Tusscher K, Hogeweg P. Evolution of networks for body plan patterning; interplay of modularity, robustness and evolvability. PLoS Comput Biol. 2011;7:e1002208 pubmed publisher..Finally, we observe that, as a free side effect of evolving segmentation and differentiation in combination, we obtained in-silico developmental mechanisms resembling mechanisms used in vertebrate development. ..
- Stemerding A, Köhl J, Pandey M, Kuipers A, Leusen J, Boross P, et al. Staphylococcus aureus formyl peptide receptor-like 1 inhibitor (FLIPr) and its homologue FLIPr-like are potent Fc?R antagonists that inhibit IgG-mediated effector functions. J Immunol. 2013;191:353-62 pubmed publisher..This study reveals a novel immune-escape function for S. aureus-secreted proteins that may lead to the development of new therapeutic agents in Fc?R-mediated diseases. ..
- Kuiperij H, de Rooij J, Rehmann H, van Triest M, Wittinghofer A, Bos J, et al. Characterisation of PDZ-GEFs, a family of guanine nucleotide exchange factors specific for Rap1 and Rap2. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2003;1593:141-9 pubmed..We conclude that both PDZ-GEF1 and 2 are specific for Rap1 and Rap2 and unresponsive to cAMP and various other nucleotides. ..
- Wich S, Buij R, van Schaik C. Determinants of orangutan density in the dryland forests of the Leuser Ecosystem. Primates. 2004;45:177-82 pubmed..In addition, large fig density depends on topsoil pH. Provided that orangutans are present and no hunting or logging occur, topsoil pH seems a promising method for rapid assessment of potential orangutan density over large areas...
- Koudijs M, den Broeder M, Keijser A, Wienholds E, Houwing S, van Rooijen E, et al. The zebrafish mutants dre, uki, and lep encode negative regulators of the hedgehog signaling pathway. PLoS Genet. 2005;1:e19 pubmed
- Sostaric E, Dieleman S, van de Lest C, Colenbrander B, Vos P, Garcia Gil N, et al. Sperm binding properties and secretory activity of the bovine oviduct immediately before and after ovulation. Mol Reprod Dev. 2008;75:60-74 pubmed..This indicates, that systemic endocrine changes around ovulation rather than specific oviduct changes at the ipsi-lateral oviduct induce secretion in oviduct epithelial cells, and thus induce sperm release. ..
- Koorstra J, Feldmann G, Habbe N, Maitra A. Morphogenesis of pancreatic cancer: role of pancreatic intraepithelial neoplasia (PanINs). Langenbecks Arch Surg. 2008;393:561-70 pubmed publisher..Recently developed genetically engineered mouse models of pancreatic cancer also demonstrate the stepwise PanIN progression model, underscoring the commonalities in pancreatic neoplasia between mouse and man. ..
- Hessel E, van Gassen K, Wolterink Donselaar I, Stienen P, Fernandes C, Brakkee J, et al. Phenotyping mouse chromosome substitution strains reveal multiple QTLs for febrile seizure susceptibility. Genes Brain Behav. 2009;8:248-55 pubmed publisher..This will increase our understanding of human FS, working toward the identification of new therapeutic targets. ..
- Rychter J, van Minnen L, Verheem A, Timmerman H, Rijkers G, Schipper M, et al. Pretreatment but not treatment with probiotics abolishes mouse intestinal barrier dysfunction in acute pancreatitis. Surgery. 2009;145:157-67 pubmed publisher..The effectiveness of probiotics in this model depends on the timing of administration. Clinical trials with probiotics should seek conditions where treatment can be started prior to onset of disease or elective surgical intervention. ..
- Fieten H, Spee B, IJzer J, Kik M, Penning L, Kirpensteijn J. Expression of hepatocyte growth factor and the proto-oncogenic receptor c-Met in canine osteosarcoma. Vet Pathol. 2009;46:869-77 pubmed publisher..Further studies are necessary to confirm the involvement of the c-Met pathway in the lymphogenic route of metastasis. ..
- van Meerten T, Hagenbeek A. CD20-targeted therapy: a breakthrough in the treatment of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. Neth J Med. 2009;67:251-9 pubmed..This review describes the development of CD20-targeted therapy from its historical background towards the next generation of anti-CD20 monoclonal antibodies and explains new strategies to overcome resistance...
- Bader A, Hofman E, Voortman J, en Henegouwen P, Gerritsen H. Homo-FRET imaging enables quantification of protein cluster sizes with subcellular resolution. Biophys J. 2009;97:2613-22 pubmed publisher..Both examples reveal subcellular heterogeneities in cluster size and distribution. ..
- Gadaleta R, van Mil S, Oldenburg B, Siersema P, Klomp L, van Erpecum K. Bile acids and their nuclear receptor FXR: Relevance for hepatobiliary and gastrointestinal disease. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2010;1801:683-92 pubmed publisher..Given the availability of highly potent synthetic FXR agonists, we focus particularly on potential relevance for human disease. ..
- Bongartz L, Braam B, Verhaar M, Cramer M, Goldschmeding R, Gaillard C, et al. The nitric oxide donor molsidomine rescues cardiac function in rats with chronic kidney disease and cardiac dysfunction. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2010;299:H2037-45 pubmed publisher..In summary, in a model of cardiorenal failure with low NO availability, supplementing NO significantly improves cardiac systolic and diastolic function without a major effect on afterload. ..
- Brasile L, Glowacki P, Castracane J, Stubenitsky B. Pretransplant kidney-specific treatment to eliminate the need for systemic immunosuppression. Transplantation. 2010;90:1294-8 pubmed publisher..To our knowledge, this is the first time significantly prolonged canine renal allograft survival has been achieved in the absence of systemic immunosuppression or immunologic manipulation of the recipient. ..
- Leeuwis J, Nguyen T, Chuva de Sousa Lopes S, van der Giezen D, van der Ven K, Rouw P, et al. Direct visualization of Smad1/5/8-mediated transcriptional activity identifies podocytes and collecting ducts as major targets of BMP signalling in healthy and diseased kidneys. J Pathol. 2011;224:121-32 pubmed publisher..Thus, native BMP transcriptional activity is much more restricted than previously suggested based on pSmad1/5/8 detection alone, and its response to injury varies according to cell type and nephron segment. ..
- Clevers H. The cancer stem cell: premises, promises and challenges. Nat Med. 2011;17:313-9 pubmed publisher..This review attempts to summarize the underlying concepts of this notion, to distinguish hard facts from beliefs and to define the future challenges of the field. ..
- van Meel E, Boonen M, Zhao H, Oorschot V, Ross F, Kornfeld S, et al. Disruption of the Man-6-P targeting pathway in mice impairs osteoclast secretory lysosome biogenesis. Traffic. 2011;12:912-24 pubmed publisher..However, cathepsin D targeting was intact, showing that osteoclasts have a Man-6-P-independent pathway for selected acid hydrolases. ..
- de Regt M, van Schaik W, van Luit Asbroek M, Dekker H, van Duijkeren E, Koning C, et al. Hospital and community ampicillin-resistant Enterococcus faecium are evolutionarily closely linked but have diversified through niche adaptation. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e30319 pubmed publisher..Ampicillin-resistant Enterococcus faecium (ARE) has emerged as a nosocomial pathogen. Here, we quantified ARE carriage in different community sources and determined genetic relatedness with hospital ARE...
- Testerink N, Ajat M, Houweling M, Brouwers J, Pully V, van Manen H, et al. Replacement of retinyl esters by polyunsaturated triacylglycerol species in lipid droplets of hepatic stellate cells during activation. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e34945 pubmed publisher..The rapid replacement of retinyl esters by polyunsaturated fatty acids in LDs suggests a role for both lipids or their derivatives like eicosanoids during hepatic stellate cell activation. ..
- de Boer S, Kortekaas J, Spel L, Rottier P, Moormann R, Bosch B. Acid-activated structural reorganization of the Rift Valley fever virus Gc fusion protein. J Virol. 2012;86:13642-52 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, our data suggest that after endocytic uptake, RVFV traffics to the acidic late endolysosomal compartments, where histidine protonation drives the reorganization of the Gc fusion protein that leads to membrane fusion. ..
- Textor J, Sinn M, de Boer R. Analytical results on the Beauchemin model of lymphocyte migration. BMC Bioinformatics. 2013;14 Suppl 6:S10 pubmed publisher..The results provide new insight into published studies and a reference point for future research based on this simple and popular lymphocyte migration model. ..
- de Beaufort H, Coda M, Conti M, Van Bakel T, Nauta F, Lanzarone E, et al. Changes in aortic pulse wave velocity of four thoracic aortic stent grafts in an ex vivo porcine model. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0186080 pubmed publisher..The aim of this study was to investigate the effect of stent graft type and stent graft length on aortic stiffness in a controlled, experimental setting...
- Kruyt F, van der Veer L, Mader S, van den Brink C, Feijen A, Jonk L, et al. Retinoic acid resistance of the variant embryonal carcinoma cell line RAC65 is caused by expression of a truncated RAR alpha. Differentiation. 1992;49:27-37 pubmed
- Charite J, de Graaff W, Vogels R, Meijlink F, Deschamps J. Regulation of the Hoxb-8 gene: synergism between multimerized cis-acting elements increases responsiveness to positional information. Dev Biol. 1995;171:294-305 pubmed..This factor is thus very likely to be involved in the transduction of positional signals. ..
- van Veen T, Stein M, Royer A, Le Quang K, Charpentier F, Colledge W, et al. Impaired impulse propagation in Scn5a-knockout mice: combined contribution of excitability, connexin expression, and tissue architecture in relation to aging. Circulation. 2005;112:1927-35 pubmed..In aged HZ mice, reduced Scn5a expression is accompanied by the presence of reactive fibrosis and disarrangement of gap junctions, which results in profound conduction impairment. ..
- Jacobs S, van Beurden D, Klomp L, Berger R, van den Berg I. Kidneys of mice with hereditary tyrosinemia type I are extremely sensitive to cytotoxicity. Pediatr Res. 2006;59:365-70 pubmed
- van der Heyden M, Kok B, Kouwenhoven E, Tøien Ø, Barnes B, Fedorov V, et al. Cloning, sequence analysis and phylogeny of connexin43 isolated from American black bear heart. DNA Seq. 2007;18:380-4 pubmed..Finally, one of the previously identified six mammalian characteristic amino acids, is not conserved in the black bear...
- Van Den Berg L, Vos Loohuis M, Schilder M, van Oost B, Hazewinkel H, Wade C, et al. Evaluation of the serotonergic genes htr1A, htr1B, htr2A, and slc6A4 in aggressive behavior of golden retriever dogs. Behav Genet. 2008;38:55-66 pubmed..We conclude that it is unlikely that these genes play a major role in the variation in aggression in the Golden Retrievers that we studied. Smaller phenotypic effects of these loci could not be ruled out with our sample size. ..
- Spijkers P, Denis C, Blom A, Lenting P. Cellular uptake of C4b-binding protein is mediated by heparan sulfate proteoglycans and CD91/LDL receptor-related protein. Eur J Immunol. 2008;38:809-17 pubmed publisher..Apparently, the cellular uptake of C4BP depends on both HSPG and CD91, involving interactions with positively charged residues within C4BP alpha-chain. ..
- Fila C, Metz C, van der Sluijs P. Juglone inactivates cysteine-rich proteins required for progression through mitosis. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:21714-24 pubmed publisher..Since juglone affected cell cycle progression at several levels, more specific drugs need to be developed for studies of Pin1 function in vivo. ..
- Reijerkerk E, Veldhuis Kroeze E, Sloet van Oldruitenborgh Oosterbaan M. Generalized sarcoidosis in two horses. Tijdschr Diergeneeskd. 2008;133:654-61 pubmed..Case B was anaemic and had a slightly elevated total protein concentration with hyperglobulinaemia. Both horses were unresponsive to corticosteroids and were euthanized...
- Galac S, Buijtels J, Mol J, Kooistra H. Effects of trilostane on the pituitary-adrenocortical and renin-aldosterone axis in dogs with pituitary-dependent hypercortisolism. Vet J. 2010;183:75-80 pubmed publisher..44, range 0.04-1.33). Trilostane affected both the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenocortical and the renin-aldosterone axes. The results also suggested that basal plasma ACTH concentration may be used to detect trilostane overdosage. ..
- Hardus M, Lameira A, van Schaik C, Wich S. Tool use in wild orang-utans modifies sound production: A functionally deceptive innovation?. Proc Biol Sci. 2009;276:3689-94 pubmed publisher..Second, it shows that the orang-utan culture extends into the communicative domain, thus challenging the traditional assumption that primate calling behaviour is overall purely emotional. ..
- Faro A, Boj S, Clevers H. Fishing for intestinal cancer models: unraveling gastrointestinal homeostasis and tumorigenesis in zebrafish. Zebrafish. 2009;6:361-76 pubmed publisher..An appealing avenue for cancer research in zebrafish is large-scale screens to identify chemotherapeutic and chemopreventive agents in conjunction with the in vivo imaging approaches that zebrafish affords...
- Jacobs F, Veenvliet J, Almirza W, Hoekstra E, von Oerthel L, van der Linden A, et al. Retinoic acid-dependent and -independent gene-regulatory pathways of Pitx3 in meso-diencephalic dopaminergic neurons. Development. 2011;138:5213-22 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, our data reveal several RA-dependent and -independent aspects of the Pitx3-regulated gene cascade, suggesting that Pitx3 acts on multiple levels in the molecular subset-specification of mdDA neurons. ..
- van Es J, Haegebarth A, Kujala P, Itzkovitz S, Koo B, Boj S, et al. A critical role for the Wnt effector Tcf4 in adult intestinal homeostatic self-renewal. Mol Cell Biol. 2012;32:1918-27 pubmed publisher..Using Tcf1-/-, Tcf3(flox), and novel Tcf4(flox) mice, we demonstrate an essential role for Tcf4 during homeostasis of the adult mouse intestine. ..
- Hessel E, van Lith H, Wolterink Donselaar I, de Wit M, Hendrickx D, Kas M, et al. Mapping an X-linked locus that influences heat-induced febrile seizures in mice. Epilepsia. 2012;53:1399-410 pubmed publisher..Fine-mapping and functional studies will be required to further identify the X-linked FS susceptibility genes. ..
- Weingarth M, Ader C, Melquiond A, Nand D, Pongs O, Becker S, et al. Supramolecular structure of membrane-associated polypeptides by combining solid-state NMR and molecular dynamics simulations. Biophys J. 2012;103:29-37 pubmed publisher..Our study focuses on the Shaker B ball peptide that is representative for rapid N-type inactivating domains of voltage-gated K(+) channels, associated with negatively charged lipid bilayers. ..
- Looringh van Beeck F, Leegwater P, Herrmann T, Broere F, Rutten V, Willemse T, et al. Tandem repeats modify the structure of the canine CD1D gene. Anim Genet. 2013;44:352-5 pubmed publisher..Because canine CD1D cDNA lacks sequences homologous to human exon 2 and 3, the functionality of canine CD1d protein may be affected, and this could have consequences for the development and activation of canine NKT cells. ..
- Blanchetot C, Verzijl D, Mujić Delić A, Bosch L, Rem L, Leurs R, et al. Neutralizing nanobodies targeting diverse chemokines effectively inhibit chemokine function. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:25173-82 pubmed publisher..Together, we show that neutralizing Nanobodies can be selected efficiently for effective and specific therapeutic treatment against a wide range of immune and inflammatory diseases. ..
- Dirkx E, da Costa Martins P, De Windt L. Regulation of fetal gene expression in heart failure. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2013;1832:2414-24 pubmed publisher..In this review, the mechanistic actions of transcription factors, microRNAs and chromatin remodeling processes in regulating fetal gene expression in heart failure are discussed. ..
- Duim B, Verstappen K, Broens E, Laarhoven L, van Duijkeren E, Hordijk J, et al. Changes in the Population of Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus pseudintermedius and Dissemination of Antimicrobial-Resistant Phenotypes in the Netherlands. J Clin Microbiol. 2016;54:283-8 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, our study showed that MDR CC71 emerged as the dominant lineage from 2004 and onward and that less-resistant lineages were partly replacing CC71. ..
- Gerritsen B, Pandit A. The memory of a killer T cell: models of CD8(+) T cell differentiation. Immunol Cell Biol. 2016;94:236-41 pubmed publisher..In this article, we review the recent quantitative studies that support different hypotheses of CD8(+) T-cell differentiation. ..
- den Hertog J, Pals C, Jonk L, Kruijer W. Differential expression of a novel murine non-receptor protein tyrosine phosphatase during differentiation of P19 embryonal carcinoma cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1992;184:1241-9 pubmed..P19-PTP is differentially expressed during in vitro differentiation of P19 EC cells, in that P19-PTP mRNA could only be detected in embryoid bodies, derived from P19 cells. ..
- de Vries C, de Boer J, Joore J, Strahle U, van Achterberg T, Huylebroeck D, et al. Active complex formation of type I and type II activin and TGF beta receptors in vivo as studied by overexpression in zebrafish embryos. Mech Dev. 1996;54:225-36 pubmed..Overexpression of TGF beta R-I with ActR-IIA or ActR IIB4 results in a synergistic increase in frequency of abnormal embryos, whereas in combination with ActR-IIB2 no such increase occurs. ..
- Karperien M, Lanser P, de Laat S, Boonstra J, Defize L. Parathyroid hormone related peptide mRNA expression during murine postimplantation development: evidence for involvement in multiple differentiation processes. Int J Dev Biol. 1996;40:599-608 pubmed..The widespread expression of PTHrP mRNA during embryogenesis in extra-embryonic and embryonic tissues suggests the involvement of the peptide in multiple growth and differentiation processes. ..
- van Oosterhout A, Van Esch B, Hofman G, Hofstra C, Van Ark I, Nijkamp F, et al. Allergen immunotherapy inhibits airway eosinophilia and hyperresponsiveness associated with decreased IL-4 production by lymphocytes in a murine model of allergic asthma. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 1998;19:622-8 pubmed..This animal model will be used as a preclinical model to improve allergen immunotherapy and to gain more insight into the mechanisms involved. ..
- Beurskens F, Kuenen J, Hofhuis F, Fluit A, Robins D, Van Dijk H. Sex-limited protein: in vitro and in vivo functions. Clin Exp Immunol. 1999;116:395-400 pubmed..Our results imply that Slp is a mouse complement component with functions which partially resemble some of those of human C4A. ..
- Folkerts G, Vlieger J, de Vries A, Faas S, van der Linde H, Engels F, et al. Virus- and bradykinin-induced airway hyperresponsiveness in guinea pigs. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2000;161:1666-71 pubmed..In summary, the results of the study show that bradykinin is involved in a cascade of events leading to AHR after a viral infection in guinea pigs, without affecting bronchoalveolar cell influx. ..
- Klumperman J. Transport between ER and Golgi. Curr Opin Cell Biol. 2000;12:445-9 pubmed..The anterograde membrane flow is compensated for by a retrograde pathway, which, in addition to the recycling of membrane and proteins to the endoplasmic reticulum, may play a role in anterograde cargo concentration. ..