Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on animals in Mishima, Shizuoka, Japan
Locale: Mishima, Shizuoka, Japan
Publications168 found, 100 shown here
- Kotani T, Nagayoshi S, Urasaki A, Kawakami K. Transposon-mediated gene trapping in zebrafish. Methods. 2006;39:199-206 pubmed..Here, we describe how we performed the gene trap screen and characterized the gene trap insertions and will discuss the outcome of the pilot screen. ..
- Suzuki A, Tsuda M, Saga Y. Functional redundancy among Nanos proteins and a distinct role of Nanos2 during male germ cell development. Development. 2007;134:77-83 pubmed..Our present findings thus indicate that there are redundant functions of the Nanos proteins in early PGC development, but that Nanos2 has a distinct function during male germ cell development in the mouse. ..
- Hirasawa R, Chiba H, Kaneda M, Tajima S, Li E, Jaenisch R, et al. Maternal and zygotic Dnmt1 are necessary and sufficient for the maintenance of DNA methylation imprints during preimplantation development. Genes Dev. 2008;22:1607-16 pubmed publisher..Consistent with these results we find that zygotic Dnmt1 is expressed in the preimplantation embryo. Thus, contrary to the previous reports, Dnmt1 alone is sufficient to maintain the methylation marks of the imprinted genes...
- Hori T, Amano M, Suzuki A, Backer C, Welburn J, Dong Y, et al. CCAN makes multiple contacts with centromeric DNA to provide distinct pathways to the outer kinetochore. Cell. 2008;135:1039-52 pubmed publisher..In total, our results suggest that the CENP-T/CENP-W complex is directly involved in establishment of centromere chromatin structure coordinately with CENP-A. ..
- Saga Y. Function of Nanos2 in the male germ cell lineage in mice. Cell Mol Life Sci. 2010;67:3815-22 pubmed publisher..It has also been shown that the Nanos2 interacts with protein components of the deadenylation complex involved in the initial step of the RNA degradation pathway. ..
- Hori T, Shang W, Toyoda A, Misu S, Monma N, Ikeo K, et al. Histone H4 Lys 20 monomethylation of the CENP-A nucleosome is essential for kinetochore assembly. Dev Cell. 2014;29:740-9 pubmed publisher..We conclude that H4K20me1 modification of CENP-A nucleosomes contributes to functional kinetochore assembly. ..
- Hasegawa T, Hall C, Crosier P, Abe G, Kawakami K, Kudo A, et al. Transient inflammatory response mediated by interleukin-1? is required for proper regeneration in zebrafish fin fold. elife. 2017;6: pubmed publisher..Our study reveals that proper levels of Il1b signaling and tissue inflammation, which are tuned by macrophages, play a crucial role in tissue regeneration. ..
- Shiroishi T, Hanzawa N, Sagai T, Ishiura M, Gojobori T, Steinmetz M, et al. Recombinational hotspot specific to female meiosis in the mouse major histocompatibility complex. Immunogenetics. 1990;31:79-88 pubmed..Each hotspot consists of two elements, the consensus sequence of the mouse middle repetitive MT family and the tetrameric repeated sequences, which are separated by 1 kb of DNA. ..
- Shimada M, Hayakawa S, Humle T, Fujita S, Hirata S, Sugiyama Y, et al. Mitochondrial DNA genealogy of chimpanzees in the Nimba mountains and Bossou, West Africa. Am J Primatol. 2004;64:261-75 pubmed..This suggests that the Bossou-Nimba populations derived only recently from the common ancestral population of the West African chimpanzees, and did not pass through a bottleneck. ..
- Kotani T, Kawakami K. Misty somites, a maternal effect gene identified by transposon-mediated insertional mutagenesis in zebrafish that is essential for the somite boundary maintenance. Dev Biol. 2008;316:383-96 pubmed publisher..We propose that the Tol2 transposon mediated gene trap method is powerful to identify a novel gene involved in vertebrate development. ..
- Kitano T, Noda R, Takenaka O, Saitou N. Relic of ancient recombinations in gibbon ABO blood group genes deciphered through phylogenetic network analysis. Mol Phylogenet Evol. 2009;51:465-71 pubmed publisher..This establishes the coexistence of divergent allelic lineages of the ABO blood group gene for a long period in the ancestral gibbon species, and strengthens the non-neutral evolution for this gene. ..
- Liu Q, Hiramoto M, Ueda H, Gojobori T, Hiromi Y, Hirose S. Midline governs axon pathfinding by coordinating expression of two major guidance systems. Genes Dev. 2009;23:1165-70 pubmed publisher..Midline is present on the promoter regions of these genes, indicating that Midline controls transcription directly. We propose that Midline controls axon pathfinding through coordinating the two guidance systems. ..
- Kimura K, Kimura A. Intracellular organelles mediate cytoplasmic pulling force for centrosome centration in the Caenorhabditis elegans early embryo. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:137-42 pubmed publisher..This is the first model, to our knowledge, providing a mechanical basis for cytoplasmic pulling force for centrosome centration...
- Koide T, Ikeda K, Ogasawara M, Shiroishi T, Moriwaki K, Takahashi A. A new twist on behavioral genetics by incorporating wild-derived mouse strains. Exp Anim. 2011;60:347-54 pubmed..We previously identified a marked variety in behavioral traits using a Mishima battery. This review reports on the usefulness of wild-derived strains for genetic analyses of behavioral phenotypes in mice. ..
- Hayashi H, Kimura K, Kimura A. Localized accumulation of tubulin during semi-open mitosis in the Caenorhabditis elegans embryo. Mol Biol Cell. 2012;23:1688-99 pubmed publisher..We propose that this newly identified mechanism of accumulation of free tubulin-and probably of other molecules-at the nascent spindle region contributes to efficient assembly of the mitotic spindle in the C. elegans embryo. ..
- Takada T, Ebata T, Noguchi H, Keane T, Adams D, Narita T, et al. The ancestor of extant Japanese fancy mice contributed to the mosaic genomes of classical inbred strains. Genome Res. 2013;23:1329-38 pubmed publisher..m. molossinus genome in classical inbred strains and largely contributed to its intersubspecific genome diversity. ..
- Mizuno H, Luo W, Tarusawa E, Saito Y, Sato T, Yoshimura Y, et al. NMDAR-regulated dynamics of layer 4 neuronal dendrites during thalamocortical reorganization in neonates. Neuron. 2014;82:365-79 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that L4 neurons have "fluctuating" dendrites during TC reorganization and that NMDARs cell autonomously regulate these dynamics to establish fine-tuned circuits. ..
- Yokota Y, Nakajima H, Wakayama Y, Muto A, Kawakami K, Fukuhara S, et al. Endothelial Ca 2+ oscillations reflect VEGFR signaling-regulated angiogenic capacity in vivo. elife. 2015;4: pubmed publisher..Thus, we captured spatio-temporal Ca(2+) dynamics during sprouting angiogenesis, as a result of cellular responses to angiogenic inputs. ..
- Natsume T, Kiyomitsu T, Saga Y, Kanemaki M. Rapid Protein Depletion in Human Cells by Auxin-Inducible Degron Tagging with Short Homology Donors. Cell Rep. 2016;15:210-218 pubmed publisher..This approach should greatly facilitate the functional analysis of essential proteins, particularly those of previously unknown function. ..
- Shimizu H, Zhang X, Zhang J, Leontovich A, Fei K, Yan L, et al. Epithelial morphogenesis in hydra requires de novo expression of extracellular matrix components and matrix metalloproteinases. Development. 2002;129:1521-32 pubmed..Given the early divergence of hydra, these studies point to the fundamental importance of cell-ECM interactions during epithelial morphogenesis. ..
- Hwang J, Takaku Y, Chapman J, Ikeo K, David C, Gojobori T. Cilium evolution: identification of a novel protein, nematocilin, in the mechanosensory cilium of Hydra nematocytes. Mol Biol Evol. 2008;25:2009-17 pubmed publisher..Thus, the evolution of a novel ciliary structure, which provides mechanical rigidity to the sensory cilium during the process of mechanoreception, is associated with the evolution of a novel protein. ..
- Hirasawa R, Sasaki H. Dynamic transition of Dnmt3b expression in mouse pre- and early post-implantation embryos. Gene Expr Patterns. 2009;9:27-30 pubmed publisher..The findings are consistent with the role for Dnmt3b in cell-lineage specification and the creation of lineage-specific DNA methylation patterns. ..
- Takaku Y, Hwang J, Wolf A, Böttger A, Shimizu H, David C, et al. Innexin gap junctions in nerve cells coordinate spontaneous contractile behavior in Hydra polyps. Sci Rep. 2014;4:3573 pubmed publisher..We conclude that a small subset of nerve cells, connected by gap junctions and capable of synchronous firing, act as a pacemaker to coordinate the contraction of the body column in the absence of ganglia. ..
- Ayusawa D, Kaneda S, Itoh Y, Yasuda H, Murakami Y, Sugasawa K, et al. Complementation by a cloned human ubiquitin-activating enzyme E1 of the S-phase-arrested mouse FM3A cell mutant with thermolabile E1. Cell Struct Funct. 1992;17:113-22 pubmed..Relevance of the unusually high incidence of the temperature-sensitive E1 mutation was discussed in terms of the E1 as a determinant of heat tolerance of cells. ..
- Satta Y, Takahata N. Evolution of Drosophila mitochondrial DNA and the history of the melanogaster subgroup. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1990;87:9558-62 pubmed..simulans. Yet geographic isolation is so weak as to show no evidence for further speciation. Moreover, one type of mtDNA shared by D. simulans and D. mauritiana suggests either recent divergence or ongoing introgression. ..
- Yoshino M, Sagai T, Moriwaki K, Shiroishi T. Meiotic recombination at the Lmp2 hotspot tolerates minor sequence divergence between homologous chromosomes. Immunogenetics. 1996;43:80-2 pubmed
- Mizuno K, Koide T, Sagai T, Moriwaki K, Shiroishi T. Molecular analysis of a recombinational hotspot adjacent to Lmp2 gene in the mouse MHC: fine location and chromatin structure. Mamm Genome. 1996;7:490-6 pubmed..cerevisiae, in which hotspots are always associated with DHSSs. ..
- Uchida K, Koopman P, Mita A, Wakana S, Wright E, Kikkawa Y, et al. Exclusion of Sox9 as a candidate for the mouse mutant tail-short. Mamm Genome. 1996;7:481-5 pubmed..8 +/- 0.011 cM. Six microsatellite markers were co-localized to the Ts locus, providing reagents for positional cloning of Ts. ..
- Takemaru K, Harashima S, Ueda H, Hirose S. Yeast coactivator MBF1 mediates GCN4-dependent transcriptional activation. Mol Cell Biol. 1998;18:4971-6 pubmed..These findings indicate that the coactivator MBF1 functions by recruiting TBP to promoters where DNA-binding regulators are bound. ..
- Yum S, Takahashi T, Hatta M, Fujisawa T. The structure and expression of a preprohormone of a neuropeptide, Hym-176 in Hydra magnipapillata. FEBS Lett. 1998;439:31-4 pubmed..No signals were detected in the two extremities of the body, tentacles and basal disk. The expression pattern is correlated with the distribution of Hym-176 and its myoactive function. ..
- Asahina M, Ishihara T, Jindra M, Kohara Y, Katsura I, Hirose S. The conserved nuclear receptor Ftz-F1 is required for embryogenesis, moulting and reproduction in Caenorhabditis elegans. Genes Cells. 2000;5:711-23 pubmed..Significantly, its role in the periodical replacement of cuticle (moulting) appears to be evolutionarily shared with insects and thus supports the monophyletic origin of moulting. ..
- Harafuji N, Takahashi T, Hatta M, Tezuka H, Morishita F, Matsushima O, et al. Enhancement of foot formation in Hydra by a novel epitheliopeptide, Hym-323. Development. 2001;128:437-46 pubmed..Lateral transplantation experiments indicated that the foot activation potential was increased in the peptide-treated tissue. These results suggest that Hym-323 is a peptide involved in a foot-patterning process in Hydra. ..
- Ogura K, Kishimoto N, Mitani S, Gengyo Ando K, Kohara Y. Translational control of maternal glp-1 mRNA by POS-1 and its interacting protein SPN-4 in Caenorhabditis elegans. Development. 2003;130:2495-503 pubmed..We propose that the balance between POS-1 and SPN-4 controls the translation of maternal glp-1 mRNA. ..
- Seino H, Kishi T, Nishitani H, Yamao F. Two ubiquitin-conjugating enzymes, UbcP1/Ubc4 and UbcP4/Ubc11, have distinct functions for ubiquitination of mitotic cyclin. Mol Cell Biol. 2003;23:3497-505 pubmed
- Yokomine T, Hata K, Tsudzuki M, Sasaki H. Evolution of the vertebrate DNMT3 gene family: a possible link between existence of DNMT3L and genomic imprinting. Cytogenet Genome Res. 2006;113:75-80 pubmed..The acquisition of DNMT3L by a common ancestor of eutherians and marsupials might have been closely related to the evolution of imprinting...
- Tsuda M, Kiso M, Saga Y. Implication of nanos2-3'UTR in the expression and function of nanos2. Mech Dev. 2006;123:440-9 pubmed
- Fujikawa K, Takahashi A, Nishimura A, Itoh M, Takano Shimizu T, Ozaki M. Characteristics of genes up-regulated and down-regulated after 24 h starvation in the head of Drosophila. Gene. 2009;446:11-7 pubmed publisher..These changes in head transcriptome upon starvation reflect modulation of expression in some normally oscillating rhythmic genes and reduction in the resource allocation toward sexual activity and immunity. ..
- Sato Y, Mita S, Fukushima N, Fujisawa H, Saga Y, Hirata T. Induction of axon growth arrest without growth cone collapse through the N-terminal region of four-transmembrane glycoprotein M6a. Dev Neurobiol. 2011;71:733-46 pubmed publisher..Molecular dissection of M6a suggested involvement for the N-terminal intracellular domain in this antibody-induced growth cone arrest. ..
- Kryukov K, Sumiyama K, Ikeo K, Gojobori T, Saitou N. A new database (GCD) on genome composition for eukaryote and prokaryote genome sequences and their initial analyses. Genome Biol Evol. 2012;4:501-12 pubmed publisher..Mammalian genomes showed the largest deviation among animals. The results of comparison are available online at http://esper.lab.nig.ac.jp/genome-composition-database/. ..
- Saitou N, Kitano T. The PNarec method for detection of ancient recombinations through phylogenetic network analysis. Mol Phylogenet Evol. 2013;66:507-14 pubmed publisher..2009. Mol. Phylogenet. Evol., 51, 465-471]. We present applications of this method, now named as "PNarec", to various virus sequences as well as HLA genes. ..
- Kondo S, Ueda R. Highly improved gene targeting by germline-specific Cas9 expression in Drosophila. Genetics. 2013;195:715-21 pubmed publisher..3-23%. Our method is readily scalable to high-throughput gene targeting, thereby accelerating comprehensive functional annotation of the Drosophila genome. ..
- Kondo S, Vedanayagam J, Mohammed J, Eizadshenass S, Kan L, Pang N, et al. New genes often acquire male-specific functions but rarely become essential in Drosophila. Genes Dev. 2017;31:1841-1846 pubmed publisher..Moreover, we detected widespread signatures of positive selection on young male-biased genes. Thus, young genes have a preferential impact on male reproductive system function...
- Aota S, Gojobori T, Shigesada K, Ozeki H, Ikemura T. Nucleotide sequence and molecular evolution of mouse retrovirus-like IAP elements. Gene. 1987;56:1-12 pubmed..These rates may exemplify a characteristic of the nucleotide substitutions for an endogenous retrovirus. The sequence homology between the IAP element and IgE-binding factor gene is discussed. ..
- Imai H, Wada M, Hirai H, Matsuda Y, Tsuchiya K. Cytological, genetic and evolutionary functions of chiasmata based on chiasma graph analysis. J Theor Biol. 1999;198:239-57 pubmed..The increase in chiasma frequency would be evolution-adaptive, because gene shuffling is expected to be accelerated in species with high chromosome numbers. ..
- Fuse N, Matakatsu H, Taniguchi M, Hayashi S. Snail-type zinc finger proteins prevent neurogenesis in Scutoid and transgenic animals of Drosophila. Dev Genes Evol. 1999;209:573-80 pubmed..Thus, our results suggest that the Scutoid phenotype is due to an ectopic snail expression under the control of no-oceli enhancer, antagonizing neurogenesis through its inhibitory interaction with bHLH proteins. ..
- Kato R, Shirohzu H, Yokomine T, Mizuno S, Mukai T, Sasaki H. Sequence-ready 1-Mb YAC, BAC and cosmid contigs covering the distal imprinted region of mouse chromosome 7. DNA Res. 1999;6:401-5 pubmed
- Takano Shimizu T. Local changes in GC/AT substitution biases and in crossover frequencies on Drosophila chromosomes. Mol Biol Evol. 2001;18:606-19 pubmed..melanogaster after the melanogaster-yakuba divergence but before the melanogaster-simulans divergence. ..
- Chihara T, Kato K, Taniguchi M, Ng J, Hayashi S. Rac promotes epithelial cell rearrangement during tracheal tubulogenesis in Drosophila. Development. 2003;130:1419-28 pubmed..Together with its role in cell motility, Rac regulates plasticity of cell adhesion and thus ensures smooth remodeling of epithelial sheets into tubules. ..
- Ohkura K, Suzuki N, Ishihara T, Katsura I. SDF-9, a protein tyrosine phosphatase-like molecule, regulates the L3/dauer developmental decision through hormonal signaling in C. elegans. Development. 2003;130:3237-48 pubmed
- Tsuda M, Sasaoka Y, Kiso M, Abe K, Haraguchi S, Kobayashi S, et al. Conserved role of nanos proteins in germ cell development. Science. 2003;301:1239-41 pubmed..Hence, although mice and flies differ in their mechanisms for germ cell specification, there seems to be conserved function for nanos proteins among invertebrates and vertebrates. ..
- Matsumoto K, Hirose S. Visualization of unconstrained negative supercoils of DNA on polytene chromosomes of Drosophila. J Cell Sci. 2004;117:3797-805 pubmed..These data show that transcription-coupled, unconstrained negative supercoils of DNA exist in approximately 150 loci within the interphase genome. ..
- Morimoto M, Kiso M, Sasaki N, Saga Y. Cooperative Mesp activity is required for normal somitogenesis along the anterior-posterior axis. Dev Biol. 2006;300:687-98 pubmed..Moreover, we have found that somitogenesis in the early stages is more susceptible to changes in the Mesp gene dosage, indicating that a threshold level of Mesp activity must be required for the progression of normal somitogenesis. ..
- Tanaka S, Tamura M, Aoki A, Fujii T, Komiyama H, Sagai T, et al. A new Gsdma3 mutation affecting anagen phase of first hair cycle. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2007;359:902-7 pubmed..These results suggest that Gsdma3 is involved in the proliferation and differentiation of epidermal stem cells. ..
- Ito K, Kawasaki T, Takashima S, Matsuda I, Aiba A, Hirata T. Semaphorin 3F confines ventral tangential migration of lateral olfactory tract neurons onto the telencephalon surface. J Neurosci. 2008;28:4414-22 pubmed publisher..These results reveal that semaphorin 3F is an important regulator of the ventral tangential migration stream, confining the migrating neurons on the telencephalon surface by repelling from the deeper domain. ..
- Takahashi A, Shiroishi T, Koide T. Multigenic factors associated with a hydrocephalus-like phenotype found in inter-subspecific consomic mouse strains. Mamm Genome. 2008;19:333-8 pubmed publisher..We then established and analyzed several subconsomic strains of Chr 17 to identify genetic factors related to hydrocephalus-like phenotype and successfully mapped one genetic locus around the proximal region of Chr 17. ..
- Okamura Y, Saga Y. Pofut1 is required for the proper localization of the Notch receptor during mouse development. Mech Dev. 2008;125:663-73 pubmed publisher..We propose that altered trafficking pathways may account for the abnormal accumulation of the Notch1 receptor in the endoplasmic reticulum in Pofut1-null mouse embryos. ..
- Amano T, Sagai T, Tanabe H, Mizushina Y, Nakazawa H, Shiroishi T. Chromosomal dynamics at the Shh locus: limb bud-specific differential regulation of competence and active transcription. Dev Cell. 2009;16:47-57 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that chromosome conformation dynamics at the Shh locus allow transient pulses of Shh transcription. ..
- Moriwaki K, Miyashita N, Mita A, Gotoh H, Tsuchiya K, Kato H, et al. Unique inbred strain MSM/Ms established from the Japanese wild mouse. Exp Anim. 2009;58:123-34 pubmed..Some of these alleles have avoided selection during breeding as either fancy mice or laboratory mice. The MSM-specific genetic traits discovered to date are discussed. ..
- Homma K, Suzuki K, Sugawara H. The Autophagy Database: an all-inclusive information resource on autophagy that provides nourishment for research. Nucleic Acids Res. 2011;39:D986-90 pubmed publisher..The database is expected to give impetus to further research on autophagy by providing basic and specialized data on the subject. ..
- Saito K, Siegfried K, NUSSLEIN VOLHARD C, Sakai N. Isolation and cytogenetic characterization of zebrafish meiotic prophase I mutants. Dev Dyn. 2011;240:1779-92 pubmed publisher..Our results thus indicate that each responsible gene is necessary for meiotic progression during spermatogenesis and for male fertility. ..
- ..This review presents discussion of the latest structural and functional data on CENP-A and CENPs from the CCAN as well as their interaction with the KMN network. ..
- Muto A, Ohkura M, Abe G, Nakai J, Kawakami K. Real-time visualization of neuronal activity during perception. Curr Biol. 2013;23:307-11 pubmed publisher..Finally, we image the tectal responses of a free-swimming larval fish to a paramecium and thereby correlate neuronal activity in the brain with prey capture behavior. ..
- Hirata H, Nanda I, van Riesen A, McMichael G, Hu H, Hambrock M, et al. ZC4H2 mutations are associated with arthrogryposis multiplex congenita and intellectual disability through impairment of central and peripheral synaptic plasticity. Am J Hum Genet. 2013;92:681-95 pubmed publisher..Our results highlight the importance of ZC4H2 for genetic testing of individuals presenting with ID plus muscle weakness and minor or major forms of AMC...
- Furuta M, Hori T, Fukagawa T. Chromatin binding of RCC1 during mitosis is important for its nuclear localization in interphase. Mol Biol Cell. 2016;27:371-81 pubmed publisher..Moreover, proper nuclear localization of RCC1 in interphase is essential for its function through its nucleotide exchange activity. ..
- Session A, Uno Y, Kwon T, Chapman J, Toyoda A, Takahashi S, et al. Genome evolution in the allotetraploid frog Xenopus laevis. Nature. 2016;538:336-343 pubmed publisher..The subgenomes have evolved asymmetrically, with one chromosome set more often preserving the ancestral state and the other experiencing more gene loss, deletion, rearrangement, and reduced gene expression. ..
- Katori S, Noguchi Katori Y, Itohara S, Iwasato T. Spinal RacGAP α-Chimaerin Is Required to Establish the Midline Barrier for Proper Corticospinal Axon Guidance. J Neurosci. 2017;37:7682-7699 pubmed publisher..We propose that α-chimaerin protects the midline barrier by mediating cell-repulsive signaling in juxta-midline cells, which prevents these cells from invading the midline. ..
- Masuya H, Sagai T, Wakana S, Moriwaki K, Shiroishi T. A duplicated zone of polarizing activity in polydactylous mouse mutants. Genes Dev. 1995;9:1645-53 pubmed..All results indicate the presence of an additional ZPA at the anterior margin of limb buds in these mutants. Thus, it appears that multiple endogenous genes regulate the spatial localization of the ZPA in the developing mouse limb bud. ..
- Kitano T, Sumiyama K, Shiroishi T, Saitou N. Conserved evolution of the Rh50 gene compared to its homologous Rh blood group gene. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1998;249:78-85 pubmed..Some peaks where nonsynonymous substitutions are higher than synonymous ones were located on outer membrane regions. This suggests the existence of positive Darwinian selection on Rh and Rh50 genes through host-parasite interactions. ..
- Yamada M, Murata T, Hirose S, Lavorgna G, Suzuki E, Ueda H. Temporally restricted expression of transcription factor betaFTZ-F1: significance for embryogenesis, molting and metamorphosis in Drosophila melanogaster. Development. 2000;127:5083-92 pubmed..These results suggest that betaFTZ-F1 regulates genes associated with ecdysis and metamorphosis, and that the exact timing of its action in the ecdysone-induced gene cascade is important for proper development. ..
- Sumiyama K, Kitano T, Noda R, Ferrell R, Saitou N. Gene diversity of chimpanzee ABO blood group genes elucidated from exon 7 sequences. Gene. 2000;259:75-9 pubmed..We also estimated nucleotide diversities for common chimpanzee and bonobo ABO blood group genes, and these values were 0.4% and 0.2%, respectively. These values are higher than that of most human genes...
- Tamura M, Kanno Y, Chuma S, Saito T, Nakatsuji N. Pod-1/Capsulin shows a sex- and stage-dependent expression pattern in the mouse gonad development and represses expression of Ad4BP/SF-1. Mech Dev. 2001;102:135-44 pubmed..These results suggest that Pod-1/Capsulin may play important roles in the development and sex differentiation of the mammalian gonad via transcriptional regulation of Ad4BP/SF-1. ..
- Okabe M, Imai T, Kurusu M, Hiromi Y, Okano H. Translational repression determines a neuronal potential in Drosophila asymmetric cell division. Nature. 2001;411:94-8 pubmed..Thus, Notch signalling is likely to regulate MSI activity rather than its expression. Our results define cell-type-specific translational control of ttk69 by MSI as a downstream event of Notch signalling in asymmetric cell division. ..
- Goto S, Taniguchi M, Muraoka M, Toyoda H, Sado Y, Kawakita M, et al. UDP-sugar transporter implicated in glycosylation and processing of Notch. Nat Cell Biol. 2001;3:816-22 pubmed..The results suggest that changes in nucleotide-sugar levels can differently affect Wingless and two distinct aspects of Notch signalling. ..
- Shimojima T, Okada M, Nakayama T, Ueda H, Okawa K, Iwamatsu A, et al. Drosophila FACT contributes to Hox gene expression through physical and functional interactions with GAGA factor. Genes Dev. 2003;17:1605-16 pubmed..These data illustrate a crucial role of FACT in the modulation of chromatin structure for the regulation of gene expression. ..
- Niwa N, Hiromi Y, Okabe M. A conserved developmental program for sensory organ formation in Drosophila melanogaster. Nat Genet. 2004;36:293-7 pubmed..Our findings strongly suggest that various sensory organs evolved from an ato-dependent protosensory organ through segment specification by ey and Hox genes. ..
- Takahashi A, Ting C. Genetic basis of sexual isolation in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetica. 2004;120:273-84 pubmed..The evolution and the maintenance of this behavioral polymorphism are also discussed. ..
- Kokubo H, Miyagawa Tomita S, Nakazawa M, Saga Y, Johnson R. Mouse hesr1 and hesr2 genes are redundantly required to mediate Notch signaling in the developing cardiovascular system. Dev Biol. 2005;278:301-9 pubmed..Taken together, our results demonstrate a requirement for hesr1 and hesr2 in mediating Notch signaling in the developing cardiac and vascular systems. ..
- Minoshima Y, Hori T, Okada M, Kimura H, Haraguchi T, Hiraoka Y, et al. The constitutive centromere component CENP-50 is required for recovery from spindle damage. Mol Cell Biol. 2005;25:10315-28 pubmed..We also observed severe mitotic defects in CENP-50-deficient cells with apparent premature sister chromatid separation when the mitotic checkpoint was activated, indicating that CENP-50 is required for recovery from spindle damage. ..
- Kagoshima H, Nimmo R, Saad N, Tanaka J, Miwa Y, Mitani S, et al. The C. elegans CBFbeta homologue BRO-1 interacts with the Runx factor, RNT-1, to promote stem cell proliferation and self-renewal. Development. 2007;134:3905-15 pubmed..These studies provide new insights into the function and regulation of this important cancer-associated DNA-binding complex in stem cells and support the view that Runx/CBFbeta factors have oncogenic potential. ..
- Oginuma M, Niwa Y, Chapman D, Saga Y. Mesp2 and Tbx6 cooperatively create periodic patterns coupled with the clock machinery during mouse somitogenesis. Development. 2008;135:2555-62 pubmed publisher..Taken together, we conclude that Mesp2 is the final output signal by which the temporal information from the segmentation clock is translated into segmental patterning during mouse somitogenesis...
- Umemori J, Nishi A, Lionikas A, Sakaguchi T, Kuriki S, Blizard D, et al. QTL analyses of temporal and intensity components of home-cage activity in KJR and C57BL/6J strains. BMC Genet. 2009;10:40 pubmed publisher..The latter two variables are distinct components of home cage activity with only partially overlapping genetic architecture. ..
- Hwang J, Takaku Y, Momose T, Adamczyk P, Ozbek S, Ikeo K, et al. Nematogalectin, a nematocyst protein with GlyXY and galectin domains, demonstrates nematocyte-specific alternative splicing in Hydra. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:18539-44 pubmed publisher..The emergence of nematogalectin A may have played a role in the morphological diversification of nematocysts in the medusozoan lineage. ..
- Kawakami K, Abe G, Asada T, Asakawa K, Fukuda R, Ito A, et al. zTrap: zebrafish gene trap and enhancer trap database. BMC Dev Biol. 2010;10:105 pubmed publisher..Therefore, zTrap should facilitate studies on genomics, developmental biology and neurobiology utilizing the transgenic zebrafish resource. ..