Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on apoptosis in Suita, Ōsaka, Japan
Locale: Suita, Ōsaka, Japan
Publications179 found, 100 shown here
- Yamamoto K, Tomita N, Yoshimura S, Nakagami H, Taniyama Y, Yamasaki K, et al. Hypoxia-induced renal epithelial cell death through caspase-dependent pathway: role of Bcl-2, Bcl-xL and Bax in tubular injury. Int J Mol Med. 2004;14:633-40 pubmed..In addition, the present results demonstrate that translocation of Bax from the cytosol to the mitochondrial membrane occurred under hypoxia, thereby leading to pathological tissue destruction. ..
- Yasuda O, Fukuo K, Sun X, Nishitani M, Yotsui T, Higuchi M, et al. Apop-1, a novel protein inducing cyclophilin D-dependent but Bax/Bak-related channel-independent apoptosis. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:23899-907 pubmed..Our findings, thus, indicate that the expression of Apop-1 induces apoptosis though CypD-dependent pathway and that Apop-1 plays roles in cell death under physiological conditions. ..
- Matsumoto N, Taguchi A, Kitayama H, Watanabe Y, Ohta M, Yoshihara T, et al. Transplantation of cultured choroid plexus epithelial cells via cerebrospinal fluid shows prominent neuroprotective effects against acute ischemic brain injury in the rat. Neurosci Lett. 2010;469:283-8 pubmed publisher..The transplantation of CPECs via CSF is a potential new strategy for protecting against ischemic brain injury. ..
- Kushibiki T. Photodynamic therapy induces microRNA-210 and -296 expression in HeLa cells. J Biophotonics. 2010;3:368-72 pubmed publisher..These results constitute the first report of an analysis of miRNA expression after PDT using talaporfin sodium as a photosensitizer, demonstrating that miR-210 and miR-296 expression levels are markers of PDT efficacy in HeLa cells. ..
- Saito Y, Shibayama H, Tanaka H, Tanimura A, Kanakura Y. A cell-death-defying factor, anamorsin mediates cell growth through inactivation of PKC and p38MAPK. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2011;405:303-7 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that PKC?, PKC?, and p38MAPK activation lead to cell cycle retardation in AM KO MEF cells, and that AM may negatively regulate novel PKCs and p38MAPK in MEF cells. ..
- Yoneda S, Uno S, Iwahashi H, Fujita Y, Yoshikawa A, Kozawa J, et al. Predominance of Î²-cell neogenesis rather than replication in humans with an impaired glucose tolerance and newly diagnosed diabetes. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2013;98:2053-61 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that Î²-cell neogenesis, rather than replication, predominates during impaired glucose tolerance and newly diagnosed diabetes in humans and may serve as a compensatory mechanism for the decreased Î²-cell mass. ..
- Goto H, Kariya R, Kudo E, Okuno Y, Ueda K, Katano H, et al. Restoring PU.1 induces apoptosis and modulates viral transactivation via interferon-stimulated genes in primary effusion lymphoma. Oncogene. 2017;36:5252-5262 pubmed publisher..Collectively, PU.1 has a role in tumor suppression in PEL and its down-regulation is associated with PEL development. Restoring PU.1 with demethylation agents may be a novel therapeutic approach for PEL. ..
- Miwa K, Asano M, Horai R, Iwakura Y, Nagata S, Suda T. Caspase 1-independent IL-1beta release and inflammation induced by the apoptosis inducer Fas ligand. Nat Med. 1998;4:1287-92 pubmed..These results demonstrate a newly discovered role for Fas ligand in inflammation, and challenge the dogma that apoptosis does not induce inflammation. ..
- Shimoke K, Matsuki Y, Fukunaga K, Matsumura Y, Fujita E, Sugihara K, et al. Appearance of nuclear-sorted caspase-12 fragments in cerebral cortical and hippocampal neurons in rats damaged by autologous blood clot embolic brain infarctions. Cell Mol Neurobiol. 2011;31:795-802 pubmed publisher..This result suggests that the fragmentation of caspase-12 and the subsequent nuclear translocation of these fragments are involved in the brain infarction process in rats. ..
- Wang Y, Murakami Y, Yasui T, Wakana S, Kikutani H, Kinoshita T, et al. Significance of glycosylphosphatidylinositol-anchored protein enrichment in lipid rafts for the control of autoimmunity. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:25490-9 pubmed publisher..These data demonstrate that PGAP3-dependent fatty acid remodeling of GPI-APs has a significant role in the control of autoimmunity, possibly by the regulation of apoptotic cell clearance and Th1/Th2 balance. ..
- Kurimoto T, Miyoshi T, Suzuki A, Yakura T, Watanabe M, Mimura O, et al. Apoptotic death of beta cells after optic nerve transection in adult cats. J Neurosci. 2003;23:4023-8 pubmed..Taken together, these results suggest that the rapid death of axotomized beta cells is attributable mainly to apoptosis, which is mediated by caspase 3. ..
- Mizuno S, Nakamura T. Prevention of neutrophil extravasation by hepatocyte growth factor leads to attenuations of tubular apoptosis and renal dysfunction in mouse ischemic kidneys. Am J Pathol. 2005;166:1895-905 pubmed..Our study provides a rationale for why HGF supplementation elicits therapeutic effects in ischemic kidneys. ..
- Okayama K, Azuma J, Dosaka N, Iekushi K, Sanada F, Kusunoki H, et al. Hepatocyte growth factor reduces cardiac fibrosis by inhibiting endothelial-mesenchymal transition. Hypertension. 2012;59:958-65 pubmed publisher..We conclude that HGF reduced cardiac fibrosis by inhibiting endothelial-mesenchymal transition and the transformation of fibroblasts into myofibroblasts. ..
- Takahashi T, Tanaka M, Ogasawara J, Suda T, Murakami H, Nagata S. Swapping between Fas and granulocyte colony-stimulating factor receptor. J Biol Chem. 1996;271:17555-60 pubmed
- Sawamoto K, Taguchi A, Hirota Y, Yamada C, Jin M, Okano H. Argos induces programmed cell death in the developing Drosophila eye by inhibition of the Ras pathway. Cell Death Differ. 1998;5:262-70 pubmed..These results support the idea that Ras signaling functions in two distinct processes during eye development, first triggering the recruitment of cells and later negatively regulating cell death. ..
- Imazu T, Shimizu S, Tagami S, Matsushima M, Nakamura Y, Miki T, et al. Bcl-2/E1B 19 kDa-interacting protein 3-like protein (Bnip3L) interacts with bcl-2/Bcl-xL and induces apoptosis by altering mitochondrial membrane permeability. Oncogene. 1999;18:4523-9 pubmed..These results suggest that Bnip3L is one of the BH3-containing pro-apoptotic proteins and that it targets the mitochondria when inducing apoptosis. ..
- Atsumi T, Ishihara K, Kamimura D, Ikushima H, Ohtani T, Hirota S, et al. A point mutation of Tyr-759 in interleukin 6 family cytokine receptor subunit gp130 causes autoimmune arthritis. J Exp Med. 2002;196:979-90 pubmed..Finally, we showed that disease development was dependent on lymphocytes. These results provide evidence that a point mutation of a cytokine receptor has the potential to induce autoimmune disease. ..
- Gu J, Nada S, Okada M, Sekiguchi K. Csk regulates integrin-mediated signals: involvement of differential activation of ERK and Akt. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2003;303:973-7 pubmed..These results, taken together, demonstrate that Csk is an important regulator of integrin-mediated signaling and cellular behavior. ..
- Nishimura I, Takazaki R, Kuwako K, Enokido Y, Yoshikawa K. Upregulation and antiapoptotic role of endogenous Alzheimer amyloid precursor protein in dorsal root ganglion neurons. Exp Cell Res. 2003;286:241-51 pubmed..These results suggest that endogenous APP is upregulated to exert an antiapoptotic effect on neurotrophin-deprived DRG neurons and subsequently undergoes caspase-dependent proteolysis. ..
- Yamagishi S, Yamada M, Koshimizu H, Takai S, Hatanaka H, Takeda K, et al. Apoptosis-signal regulating kinase-1 is involved in the low potassium-induced activation of p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase and c-Jun in cultured cerebellar granule neurons. J Biochem. 2003;133:719-24 pubmed..The addition of LY294002, a specific inhibitor of PI3-K, enhanced the ASK1 activity. These results indicate that ASK1 works downstream of PI3-K to regulate the p38-c-Jun pathway and apoptosis in cultured cerebellar granule neurons. ..
- Mabuchi S, Ohmichi M, Kimura A, Nishio Y, Arimoto Ishida E, Yada Hashimoto N, et al. Estrogen inhibits paclitaxel-induced apoptosis via the phosphorylation of apoptosis signal-regulating kinase 1 in human ovarian cancer cell lines. Endocrinology. 2004;145:49-58 pubmed..Thus, treatment of ovarian cancer with paclitaxel might be less effective in the setting of postoperative estrogen replacement therapy. ..
- Hitomi J, Katayama T, Eguchi Y, Kudo T, Taniguchi M, Koyama Y, et al. Involvement of caspase-4 in endoplasmic reticulum stress-induced apoptosis and Abeta-induced cell death. J Cell Biol. 2004;165:347-56 pubmed..Thus, caspase-4 can function as an ER stress-specific caspase in humans, and may be involved in pathogenesis of Alzheimer's disease. ..
- Ikushima M, Rakugi H, Ishikawa K, Maekawa Y, Yamamoto K, Ohta J, et al. Anti-apoptotic and anti-senescence effects of Klotho on vascular endothelial cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2006;339:827-32 pubmed..The expression of p53 and p21 was lower in Klotho-treated cells. Our study suggests that Klotho acts as a humoral factor to reduce H(2)O(2)-induced apoptosis and cellular senescence in vascular cells. ..
- Yamakawa S, Demizu A, Kawaratani Y, Nagaoka Y, Terada Y, Maruyama S, et al. Growth inhibition of human colon cancer cell line HCT116 by bis[2-(acylamino)phenyl] disulfide and its action mechanism. Biol Pharm Bull. 2008;31:916-20 pubmed
- Komori K, Takagi Y, Sanada M, Lim T, Nakatsu Y, Tsuzuki T, et al. A novel protein, MAPO1, that functions in apoptosis triggered by O6-methylguanine mispair in DNA. Oncogene. 2009;28:1142-50 pubmed publisher..Both mouse and human MAPO1 proteins expressed in cells localize in the cytoplasm. We therefore propose that MAPO1 may play a role in the signal-transduction pathway of apoptosis induced by O(6)-methylguanine-mispaired lesions. ..
- Sakudo A, Ikuta K. Prion protein functions and dysfunction in prion diseases. Curr Med Chem. 2009;16:380-9 pubmed..In this review, we provide an overview of current information on PrP(C) and PrP(Sc) as well as their involvement in the pathogenesis of prion diseases. ..
- Kato T, Kurosawa T, Taketo M. Proteinuria-induced chronic kidney disease in the ICGN/Oa mice with a mutation of Tensin2 gene. Ren Fail. 2009;31:229-38 pubmed publisher..Tubulointerstitial fibrosis precedes TEC apoptosis in the proteinuria-induced CKD model mice, and that tubulointerstitial fibrosis may be the triggering event of the disease. ..
- Matsuda M, Yamamoto T, Matsumura A, Kaneda Y. Highly efficient eradication of intracranial glioblastoma using Eg5 siRNA combined with HVJ envelope. Gene Ther. 2009;16:1465-76 pubmed publisher..This remarkable anti-tumor response was likely due to a synergistic effect of Eg5 siRNA and HVJ-E. Thus, this combination shows promise as an attractive novel therapy for glioblastoma. ..
- Hikita H, Takehara T, Kodama T, Shimizu S, Shigekawa M, Hosui A, et al. Delayed-onset caspase-dependent massive hepatocyte apoptosis upon Fas activation in Bak/Bax-deficient mice. Hepatology. 2011;54:240-51 pubmed publisher..The present study unveils an extrinsic pathway of apoptosis, like that in type I cells, which serves as a backup system even in type II cells. ..
- Yoshida A, Asanuma H, Sasaki H, Sanada S, Yamazaki S, Asano Y, et al. H(2) mediates cardioprotection via involvements of K(ATP) channels and permeability transition pores of mitochondria in dogs. Cardiovasc Drugs Ther. 2012;26:217-26 pubmed publisher..H(2) gas may provide an effective adjunct strategy in patients with acute myocardial infarction receiving reperfusion therapy. ..
- Takuma K, Ago Y, Matsuda T. The glial sodium-calcium exchanger: a new target for nitric oxide-mediated cellular toxicity. Curr Protein Pept Sci. 2013;14:43-50 pubmed..This review summarizes the pathological roles of the NCX as a new target for NO-mediated cellular toxicity, based on our studies on NO-NCX-mediated glial toxicity. ..
- Fujiki R, Sato A, Fujitani M, Yamashita T. A proapoptotic effect of valproic acid on progenitors of embryonic stem cell-derived glutamatergic neurons. Cell Death Dis. 2013;4:e677 pubmed publisher..These cell type- and differentiation stage-specific effects of VPA imply that dysfunction of HDACs during pregnancy significantly increase the risk of congenital malformations associated with VPA administration. ..
- Murata Y, Kudoh T, Sugiyama H, Toyoshima K, Akiyama T. The Wilms tumor suppressor gene WT1 induces G1 arrest and apoptosis in myeloblastic leukemia M1 cells. FEBS Lett. 1997;409:41-5 pubmed..These results suggest that the role of WT1 is different depending on the type of leukemia cell in which it is expressed. ..
- Kondo T, Yokokura T, Nagata S. Activation of distinct caspase-like proteases by Fas and reaper in Drosophila cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1997;94:11951-6 pubmed
- Imaizumi K, Morihara T, Mori Y, Katayama T, Tsuda M, Furuyama T, et al. The cell death-promoting gene DP5, which interacts with the BCL2 family, is induced during neuronal apoptosis following exposure to amyloid beta protein. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:7975-81 pubmed..Thus, the induction of DP5 mRNA and the interaction of DP5 and Bcl-xl could play significant roles in neuronal degeneration following exposure to A beta. ..
- Horio M, Ito A, Matsuoka Y, Moriyama T, Orita Y, Takenaka M, et al. Apoptosis induced by hypertonicity in Madin Darley canine kidney cells: protective effect of betaine. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2001;16:483-90 pubmed
- Okada S. [Learning from the studies of twitcher mouse]. No To Hattatsu. 2001;33:107-13 pubmed..With the progression of the disease, these cells became shrunk showing the ultrastructural and biochemical characteristics of apoptosis. This may provide a key to the future treatment of Krabbe disease...
- Hotta K, Funahashi T, Matsukawa Y, Takahashi M, Nishizawa H, Kishida K, et al. Galectin-12, an Adipose-expressed Galectin-like Molecule Possessing Apoptosis-inducing Activity. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:34089-97 pubmed..These results suggest that galectin-12, an adipose-expressed galectin-like molecule, may participate in the apoptosis of adipocytes. ..
- Wani K, Huilgol N, Hongyo T, Shah K, Chatterjee N, Nair C, et al. Genetic alterations in the coding region of the bak gene in uterine cervical carcinoma. Br J Cancer. 2003;88:1584-6 pubmed..Bak mutations were observed more frequently in the advanced stage and mutated cancer tissues were more resistant to radiotherapy, although trends were not statistically significant because of small sample size. ..
- Yoshida H, Okabe Y, Kawane K, Fukuyama H, Nagata S. Lethal anemia caused by interferon-beta produced in mouse embryos carrying undigested DNA. Nat Immunol. 2005;6:49-56 pubmed
- Wada K, Nakajima A, Katayama K, Kudo C, Shibuya A, Kubota N, et al. Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma-mediated regulation of neural stem cell proliferation and differentiation. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:12673-81 pubmed..The inhibition of differentiation was associated with an activation of STAT3. These data indicate that PPARgamma regulates the development of the central nervous system during early embryogenesis via control of NSC proliferation. ..
- Suzuki C, Isaka Y, Shimizu S, Tsujimoto Y, Takabatake Y, Ito T, et al. Bcl-2 protects tubular epithelial cells from ischemia reperfusion injury by inhibiting apoptosis. Cell Transplant. 2008;17:223-9 pubmed..In conclusion, Bcl-2 augmentation protected renal tubular epithelial cells from I/R, and subsequent interstitial injury by inhibiting tubular apoptosis. ..
- Nishida K, Otsu K. Cell death in heart failure. Circ J. 2008;72 Suppl A:A17-21 pubmed..However, a recent study indicated that upregulation of autophagy in the failing heart is an adaptive response. This review summarizes recent findings regarding the molecular mechanisms of cardiomyocyte cell death in HF. ..
- Nakamoto T, Murayama Y, Oritani K, Boucheix C, Rubinstein E, Nishida M, et al. A novel therapeutic strategy with anti-CD9 antibody in gastric cancers. J Gastroenterol. 2009;44:889-96 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that administration of anti-CD9 antibody to mice bearing human gastric cancer cells successfully inhibits tumor progression via antiproliferative, proapoptotic, and antiangiogenetic effects. ..
- Tsuda H, Kawada N, Kaimori J, Kitamura H, Moriyama T, Rakugi H, et al. Febuxostat suppressed renal ischemia-reperfusion injury via reduced oxidative stress. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2012;427:266-72 pubmed publisher..In conclusion; novel XO inhibitor, febuxostat, can protect kidney from renal I/R injury, and may contribute to preserve kidney function. ..
- Mima J, Koshino A, Oka K, Uchida H, Hieda Y, Nohara K, et al. Regulation of the epithelial adhesion molecule CEACAM1 is important for palate formation. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e61653 pubmed publisher..However, CEACAM1 expression was retained in the remaining MEE of TGF?-deficient mice. These results suggest that CEACAM1 has roles in the initiation of palatal fusion via epithelial cell adhesion. ..
- Ueda M, Iguchi T, Nambara S, Saito T, Komatsu H, Sakimura S, et al. Overexpression of Transcription Termination Factor 1 is Associated with a Poor Prognosis in Patients with Colorectal Cancer. Ann Surg Oncol. 2015;22 Suppl 3:S1490-8 pubmed publisher..TTF1 was involved in cancer progression via the RAS and MYC pathways in CRC, suggesting that TTF1 may be a prognostic indicator and therapeutic target in CRC. ..
- Kamimura D, Arima Y, Tsuruoka M, Jiang J, Bando H, Meng J, et al. Strong TCR-mediated signals suppress integrated stress responses induced by KDELR1 deficiency in naive T cells. Int Immunol. 2016;28:117-26 pubmed publisher..These results suggest a novel role of TCR-mediated signals in the attenuation of ISR in vivo. ..
- Sahara S, Aoto M, Eguchi Y, Imamoto N, Yoneda Y, Tsujimoto Y. Acinus is a caspase-3-activated protein required for apoptotic chromatin condensation. Nature. 1999;401:168-73 pubmed..Immunodepletion experiments showed that Acinus is essential for apoptotic chromatin condensation in vitro, and an antisense study revealed that Acinus is also important in the induction of apoptotic chromatin condensation in cells. ..
- Iwao M, Fukada S, Harada T, Tsujikawa K, Yagita H, Hiramine C, et al. Interaction of merosin (laminin 2) with very late activation antigen-6 is necessary for the survival of CD4+ CD8+ immature thymocytes. Immunology. 2000;99:481-8 pubmed..The results suggest that DP cells are more sensitive to an uncharacterized apoptotic death signal, and that survival is supported by the interaction between VLA-6 and merosin. ..
- Kusano H, Shimizu S, Koya R, Fujita H, Kamada S, Kuzumaki N, et al. Human gelsolin prevents apoptosis by inhibiting apoptotic mitochondrial changes via closing VDAC. Oncogene. 2000;19:4807-14 pubmed..These results suggest that hGsn inhibits apoptosis by blocking mitochondrial VDAC activity. ..
- Fujimoto T, Kawashima H, Tanaka T, Hirose M, Toyama Sorimachi N, Matsuzawa Y, et al. CD44 binds a chondroitin sulfate proteoglycan, aggrecan. Int Immunol. 2001;13:359-66 pubmed..These results suggest that aggrecan interacts with CD44 to mediate cell adhesion and to trigger oligomerization of CD44 molecules, which may lead to intracellular signaling. ..
- Yoneda T, Imaizumi K, Oono K, Yui D, Gomi F, Katayama T, et al. Activation of caspase-12, an endoplastic reticulum (ER) resident caspase, through tumor necrosis factor receptor-associated factor 2-dependent mechanism in response to the ER stress. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:13935-40 pubmed..Thus, we provide a missing link in the ER stress-induced apoptosis-signaling pathway, one which connects the stress sensor molecule IRE1 and the activation of caspase-12. ..
- Saeki M, Maeda S, Wada K, Kamisaki Y. Insulin-like growth factor-1 protects peroxynitrite-induced cell death by preventing cytochrome c-induced caspase-3 activation. J Cell Biochem. 2002;84:708-16 pubmed..These results suggest that IGF-1 protects peroxynitrite-induced cell death downstream of cytochrome c release through the inhibition of caspase-3-like activation. ..
- Takazaki R, Nishimura I, Yoshikawa K. Necdin is required for terminal differentiation and survival of primary dorsal root ganglion neurons. Exp Cell Res. 2002;277:220-32 pubmed..These results suggest that necdin mediates the terminal differentiation and survival of NGF-dependent DRG neurons and that necdin-deficient nascent neurons are destined to caspase-3-dependent apoptosis. ..
- Mabuchi S, Ohmichi M, Kimura A, Ikebuchi Y, Hisamoto K, Arimoto Ishida E, et al. Tamoxifen inhibits cell proliferation via mitogen-activated protein kinase cascades in human ovarian cancer cell lines in a manner not dependent on the expression of estrogen receptor or the sensitivity to cisplatin. Endocrinology. 2004;145:1302-13 pubmed
- Iwano H, Nakamura M, Tajima S. Xenopus MBD3 plays a crucial role in an early stage of development. Dev Biol. 2004;268:416-28 pubmed..We propose that MBD3, distinct from the case in mouse, plays a crucial role in the recognition of methylated genes as an intrinsic component of the complex to guide the corepressor complex during an early stage of Xenopus embryogenesis. ..
- Sugioka R, Shimizu S, Tsujimoto Y. Fzo1, a protein involved in mitochondrial fusion, inhibits apoptosis. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:52726-34 pubmed..These results indicate that some of the proteins involved in mitochondrial fusion/fission modulate apoptotic cell death at the mitochondrial level. ..
- Nishida K, Yamaguchi O, Hirotani S, Hikoso S, Higuchi Y, Watanabe T, et al. p38alpha mitogen-activated protein kinase plays a critical role in cardiomyocyte survival but not in cardiac hypertrophic growth in response to pressure overload. Mol Cell Biol. 2004;24:10611-20 pubmed..These results demonstrate that p38alpha plays a critical role in the cardiomyocyte survival pathway in response to pressure overload, while cardiac hypertrophic growth is unaffected despite its dramatic down-regulation. ..
- Hanayama R, Nagata S. Impaired involution of mammary glands in the absence of milk fat globule EGF factor 8. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005;102:16886-91 pubmed..These results demonstrate that MFG-E8-mediated phagocytosis of apoptotic epithelial cells and MFGs is important for efficient involution of mammary glands. ..
- Nakamura T, Jeromin A, Smith G, Kurushima H, Koga H, Nakabeppu Y, et al. Novel role of neuronal Ca2+ sensor-1 as a survival factor up-regulated in injured neurons. J Cell Biol. 2006;172:1081-91 pubmed..We propose that NCS-1 is a novel survival-promoting factor up-regulated in injured neurons that mediates the GDNF survival signal via the phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase-Akt pathway. ..
- Huang P, Akagawa K, Yokoyama Y, Nohara K, Kano K, Morimoto K. T-2 toxin initially activates caspase-2 and induces apoptosis in U937 cells. Toxicol Lett. 2007;170:1-10 pubmed..These results clearly indicate that activation of caspase-2 is essential to T-2 toxin-induced apoptosis and that apoptotic signals are mainly transmitted via caspase-8 and caspase-3 rather than mitochondrial pathway. ..
- Ueda M, Daidoji T, Du A, Yang C, Ibrahim M, Ikuta K, et al. Highly pathogenic H5N1 avian influenza virus induces extracellular Ca2+ influx, leading to apoptosis in avian cells. J Virol. 2010;84:3068-78 pubmed publisher..These findings may be useful for understanding the pathogenesis of H5N1-AIV in avian species as well as the impact of Ca(2+) homeostasis on influenza A virus infection. ..
- Shimizu S, Takehara T, Hikita H, Kodama T, Miyagi T, Hosui A, et al. The let-7 family of microRNAs inhibits Bcl-xL expression and potentiates sorafenib-induced apoptosis in human hepatocellular carcinoma. J Hepatol. 2010;52:698-704 pubmed publisher..let-7 microRNAs negatively regulate Bcl-xL expression in human hepatocellular carcinomas and induce apoptosis in cooperation with an anti-cancer drug targeting Mcl-1. ..
- Takahashi Y, Sawada G, Kurashige J, Uchi R, Matsumura T, Ueo H, et al. Amplification of PVT-1 is involved in poor prognosis via apoptosis inhibition in colorectal cancers. Br J Cancer. 2014;110:164-71 pubmed publisher..PVT-1, which maps to 8q24, generates antiapoptotic activity in CRC, and abnormal expression of PVT-1 was a prognostic indicator for CRC patients. ..
- Miyaji T, Nakase T, Onuma E, Sato K, Myoui A, Tomita T, et al. Monoclonal antibody to parathyroid hormone-related protein induces differentiation and apoptosis of chondrosarcoma cells. Cancer Lett. 2003;199:147-55 pubmed..Our results suggest the possibility that anti-PTHrP MoAb may be beneficial as a new treatment for chondrosarcoma. ..
- Sasaki H, Asanuma H, Fujita M, Takahama H, Wakeno M, Ito S, et al. Metformin prevents progression of heart failure in dogs: role of AMP-activated protein kinase. Circulation. 2009;119:2568-77 pubmed publisher..Metformin attenuated oxidative stress-induced cardiomyocyte apoptosis and prevented the progression of heart failure in dogs, along with activation of AMPK. Therefore, metformin may be a potential new therapy for heart failure. ..
- Takayama H, Takakuwa T, Tsujimoto Y, Nonomura N, Okuyama A, Aozasa K. Analysis of Fas gene mutations on laser capture microdissected specimens from renal cell carcinoma. Jpn J Cancer Res. 2002;93:1201-6 pubmed..The results of the present study suggest that Fas gene mutations play a role in the pathogenesis of RCC. ..
- Yamahara K, Min K, Tomoike H, Kangawa K, Kitamura S, Nagaya N. Pathological role of angiostatin in heart failure: an endogenous inhibitor of mesenchymal stem-cell activation. Heart. 2009;95:283-9 pubmed publisher..The results suggest that angiostatin, which can attenuate the activity of MSC, might play a role in the progression of HF. ..
- Shimizu S, Narita M, Tsujimoto Y. Bcl-2 family proteins regulate the release of apoptogenic cytochrome c by the mitochondrial channel VDAC. Nature. 1999;399:483-7 pubmed..Our results indicate that the Bcl-2 family of proteins bind to the VDAC in order to regulate the mitochondrial membrane potential and the release of cytochrome c during apoptosis. ..
- Sugiyama T, Shimizu S, Matsuoka Y, Yoneda Y, Tsujimoto Y. Activation of mitochondrial voltage-dependent anion channel by apro-apoptotic BH3-only protein Bim. Oncogene. 2002;21:4944-56 pubmed..These results indicate that Bim has an ability to activate directly the VDAC, which plays an important role in apoptosis of mammalian cells. ..
- Heese K, Yamada T, Akatsu H, Yamamoto T, Kosaka K, Nagai Y, et al. Characterizing the new transcription regulator protein p60TRP. J Cell Biochem. 2004;91:1030-42 pubmed
- Tsujimoto Y, Shimizu S. Role of the mitochondrial membrane permeability transition in cell death. Apoptosis. 2007;12:835-40 pubmed..The anti-apoptotic proteins Bcl-2 and Bcl-x(L) have the ability to block the MPT, and can therefore block MPT-dependent necrosis in addition to their well-established ability to inhibit apoptosis. ..
- Kitamura H, Isaka Y, Takabatake Y, Imamura R, Suzuki C, Takahara S, et al. Nonerythropoietic derivative of erythropoietin protects against tubulointerstitial injury in a unilateral ureteral obstruction model. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2008;23:1521-8 pubmed publisher..We established a therapeutic approach using CEPO to protect against tubulointerstitial injury. The therapeutic value of this approach warrants further attention and preclinical studies. ..
- Nishimura I, Sakoda J, Yoshikawa K. Drosophila MAGE controls neural precursor proliferation in postembryonic neurogenesis. Neuroscience. 2008;154:572-81 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that evolutionally conserved necdin-like MAGE is involved in both neural stem cell proliferation and neuronal survival during nervous system development. ..
- Kishi S, Shimoke K, Nakatani Y, Shimada T, Okumura N, Nagai K, et al. Nerve growth factor attenuates 2-deoxy-d-glucose-triggered endoplasmic reticulum stress-mediated apoptosis via enhanced expression of GRP78. Neurosci Res. 2010;66:14-21 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that the NGF-activated PI3-K/Akt signaling pathway plays a protective role against ER stress-mediated apoptosis via enhanced expression of GRP78 in PC12 cells. ..
- Kudo T. [Therapeutic strategies for Alzheimer disease based on endoplasmic reticulum stress]. Nihon Shinkei Seishin Yakurigaku Zasshi. 2010;30:163-8 pubmed
- Inoue M, Saeki M, Egusa H, Niwa H, Kamisaki Y. PIH1D1, a subunit of R2TP complex, inhibits doxorubicin-induced apoptosis. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2010;403:340-4 pubmed publisher..The reduction in endogenous PIH1D1 by siRNA enhanced apoptosis and caspase-3 activation induced by doxorubicin in U2OS cells. These results suggest that PIH1D1 may also function as a novel modulator of apoptosis pathway. ..
- Shimada K, Saeki M, Egusa H, Fukuyasu S, Yura Y, Iwai K, et al. RPAP3 enhances cytotoxicity of doxorubicin by impairing NF-kappa B pathway. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2011;404:910-4 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that RPAP3 may be a novel modulator of NF-?B pathway in apoptosis induced by anti-cancer chemotherapeutic agents. ..
- Kodama T, Takehara T, Hikita H, Shimizu S, Shigekawa M, Li W, et al. BH3-only activator proteins Bid and Bim are dispensable for Bak/Bax-dependent thrombocyte apoptosis induced by Bcl-xL deficiency: molecular requisites for the mitochondrial pathway to apoptosis in platelets. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:13905-13 pubmed publisher..Despite residing in platelets, BH3-only activator proteins Bid and Bim are dispensable for Bax activation and mitochondrial apoptosis. ..
- Kodama T, Takehara T, Hikita H, Shimizu S, Shigekawa M, Tsunematsu H, et al. Increases in p53 expression induce CTGF synthesis by mouse and human hepatocytes and result in liver fibrosis in mice. J Clin Invest. 2011;121:3343-56 pubmed publisher..This study reveals that p53 induces CTGF expression and promotes liver fibrosis, suggesting that the p53/CTGF pathway may be a therapeutic target in the treatment of liver fibrosis. ..
- Okada M, Smith N, Palonpon A, Endo H, Kawata S, Sodeoka M, et al. Label-free Raman observation of cytochrome c dynamics during apoptosis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012;109:28-32 pubmed publisher..Monitoring mitochondrial membrane potential with JC-1 dye confirmed that the observed cytochrome c release was associated with apoptosis. ..
- Teoh J, Iwano T, Kunii M, Atik N, Avriyanti E, Yoshimura S, et al. BIG1 is required for the survival of deep layer neurons, neuronal polarity, and the formation of axonal tracts between the thalamus and neocortex in developing brain. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0175888 pubmed publisher..This study showed the role of BIG1 in the survival of DL neurons in developing embryonic brain and in the generation of neuronal polarity. ..
- Tamatani M, Ogawa S, Nunez G, Tohyama M. Growth factors prevent changes in Bcl-2 and Bax expression and neuronal apoptosis induced by nitric oxide. Cell Death Differ. 1998;5:911-9 pubmed
- Sonoyama J, Matsumura I, Ezoe S, Satoh Y, Zhang X, Kataoka Y, et al. Functional cooperation among Ras, STAT5, and phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase is required for full oncogenic activities of BCR/ABL in K562 cells. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:8076-82 pubmed..These results suggested that cooperation among these molecules is required for full leukemogenic activities of BCR/ABL. ..
- Aleshin A, Sawa Y, Kitagawa Sakakida S, Bando Y, Ono M, Memon I, et al. 150-kDa oxygen-regulated protein attenuates myocardial ischemia-reperfusion injury in rat heart. J Mol Cell Cardiol. 2005;38:517-25 pubmed..Our results indicated cytoprotective roles for ORP150 in rat heart and suggested a therapeutic role for the protein both in preventing cardiomyocyte death and in preserving contractile function after ischemic damage. ..
- Irie Y, Yamagata K, Gan Y, Miyamoto K, Do E, Kuo C, et al. Molecular cloning and characterization of Amida, a novel protein which interacts with a neuron-specific immediate early gene product arc, contains novel nuclear localization signals, and causes cell death in cultured cells. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:2647-53 pubmed..These results indicate that Arc together with Amida may modulate cell death in the brain. ..
- Zhang B, Tomita Y, Qiu Y, He J, Morii E, Noguchi S, et al. E74-like factor 2 regulates valosin-containing protein expression. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2007;356:536-41 pubmed..These findings indicate that ELF2/NERF promotes VCP transcription and that ELF2/NERF-VCP pathway might be important for cell survival and proliferation under cytokine stress. ..
- Wang X, Fukuda T, Li W, Gao C, Kondo A, Matsumoto A, et al. Requirement of Fut8 for the expression of vascular endothelial growth factor receptor-2: a new mechanism for the emphysema-like changes observed in Fut8-deficient mice. J Biochem. 2009;145:643-51 pubmed publisher..It is well known that, in emphysema, ceramide expression can be greatly enhanced by blockade of the VEGFR-2. Thus, suppression of VEGFR-2 expression may provide a novel explanation for the emphysema-like changes in Fut8(-/-) mice. ..