Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on saccharomyces cerevisiae in Ōsaka, Japan
Locale: Ōsaka, Japan
Topic: saccharomyces cerevisiae
- Ichikawa N, Nakabayashi K, Hashimoto T. A yeast mitochondrial ATPase inhibitor interacts with three proteins that are easy to dissociate from the mitochondrial inner membrane. J Biochem. 2002;132:649-54 pubmed..These results shows that the endogenous inhibitor binds not only to the catalytic part of the enzyme, but also to the 19-21 kDa proteins that loosely associate with the mitochondrial inner membrane. ..
- Zhang Y, Tian D, Matsuyama H, Hamazaki T, Shiratsuchi T, Terada N, et al. Human Adenine Nucleotide Translocase (ANT) Modulators Identified by High-Throughput Screening of Transgenic Yeast. J Biomol Screen. 2016;21:381-90 pubmed publisher..This yeast "knock-out/knock-in" screening strategy is applicable to a broad range of essential molecular targets that are required for yeast survival. ..
- Tsutsui Y, Morishita T, Iwasaki H, Toh H, Shinagawa H. A recombination repair gene of Schizosaccharomyces pombe, rhp57, is a functional homolog of the Saccharomyces cerevisiae RAD57 gene and is phylogenetically related to the human XRCC3 gene. Genetics. 2000;154:1451-61 pubmed..These characteristics of the rhp57 mutants are very similar to those of S. cerevisiae rad57 mutants. Phylogenetic analysis suggests that Rhp57 and Rad57 are evolutionarily closest to human Xrcc3 of the RecA/Rad51 family of proteins. ..
- Mitsui K, Koshimura Y, Yoshikawa Y, Matsushita M, Kanazawa H. The endosomal Na(+)/H(+) exchanger contributes to multivesicular body formation by regulating the recruitment of ESCRT-0 Vps27p to the endosomal membrane. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:37625-38 pubmed publisher..Taken together, we propose that Nhx1p contributes to MVB formation by the recruitment of Vps27p to the endosomal membrane, possibly through Nhx1p antiporter activity. ..
- Borjihan B, Ogita A, Fujita K, Doe M, Tanaka T. The cyclic organosulfur compound zwiebelane A from onion (Allium cepa) functions as an enhancer of polymyxin B in fungal vacuole disruption. Planta Med. 2010;76:1864-6 pubmed publisher..As is the case with allicin, an allyl sulfur compound from garlic, zwiebelane A amplifies the disruptive effect of PMB on the vacuole of Saccharomyces cerevisiae, which has been found to represent a target for antifungal agents. ..
- Nakao Y, Kanamori T, Itoh T, Kodama Y, Rainieri S, Nakamura N, et al. Genome sequence of the lager brewing yeast, an interspecies hybrid. DNA Res. 2009;16:115-29 pubmed publisher..The genome sequence of this interspecies hybrid yeast provides a new tool for better understanding of lager brewing yeast behavior in industrial beer production...
- Kodama Y, Omura F, Takahashi K, Shirahige K, Ashikari T. Genome-wide expression analysis of genes affected by amino acid sensor Ssy1p in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Curr Genet. 2002;41:63-72 pubmed..This result suggests that Ssy1p regulates not only the transcription of amino acid permease genes, but also transcription of many other nitrogen-metabolizing genes. ..
- Chuwattanakul V, Sugiyama M, Khatun F, Kurata K, Tomita I, Kaneko Y, et al. Increased transcription of NOP15, involved in ribosome biogenesis in Saccharomyces cerevisiae, enhances the production yield of RNA as a source of nucleotide seasoning. J Biosci Bioeng. 2012;114:17-22 pubmed publisher..4-fold. These results indicate that the transcription level of NOP15 is an important determinant of the productivity of RNA and that its increased transcription provides an effective approach to obtain higher RNA yields in yeast. ..
- Haruta N, Kubota Y, Hishida T. Chronic low-dose ultraviolet-induced mutagenesis in nucleotide excision repair-deficient cells. Nucleic Acids Res. 2012;40:8406-15 pubmed..More generally, our data suggest that Pol? can act as both an error-free and a mutagenic DNA polymerase, depending on whether the NER pathway is available to efficiently repair damaged templates. ..
- Tomita S, Inoue N, Maeda Y, Ohishi K, Takeda J, Kinoshita T. A homologue of Saccharomyces cerevisiae Dpm1p is not sufficient for synthesis of dolichol-phosphate-mannose in mammalian cells. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:9249-54 pubmed..Therefore, in contrast to yeast, mammalian cells require hDPM1/mDPM1 protein and a product of another gene that is defective in Lec15 mutant cells for synthesis of Dol-P-Man. ..
- Kang C, Yamada K, Usuki Y, Ogita A, Fujita K, Tanaka T. Visualization analysis of the vacuole-targeting fungicidal activity of amphotericin B against the parent strain and an ergosterol-less mutant of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Microbiology. 2013;159:939-47 pubmed publisher..Thus, this study supported the hypothesis that ergosterol is involved in the mobilization of AmB into the vacuolar membrane so that AmB-dependent vacuole disruption can be fully enhanced by cotreatment with MC12. ..
- Kira S, Kumano Y, Ukai H, Takeda E, Matsuura A, Noda T. Dynamic relocation of the TORC1-Gtr1/2-Ego1/2/3 complex is regulated by Gtr1 and Gtr2. Mol Biol Cell. 2016;27:382-96 pubmed publisher..Thus regulation of TORC1 activity through Gtr1/Gtr2 is tightly coupled to the dynamic relocation of these proteins. ..
- Kaneko Y, Toh e A, Banno I, Oshima Y. Molecular characterization of a specific p-nitrophenylphosphatase gene, PHO13, and its mapping by chromosome fragmentation in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Gen Genet. 1989;220:133-9 pubmed..9 centimorgans from the HO locus on the left arm of chromosome IV. By chromosome fragmentation, the PHO13 locus was found to be located about 72 kb from the left-hand telomere of chromosome IV and distal to the HO locus. ..
- Yutani M, Ogita A, Fujita K, Usuki Y, Tanaka T. Evaluation of uridine 5'-eicosylphosphate as a stimulant of cyclic AMP-dependent cellular function. Gen Physiol Biophys. 2011;30:106-9 pubmed publisher..We suppose the inhibitory effect of UMPC20 could indeed reflect the elevation of the cellular cAMP level. ..
- Tsubouchi H, Ogawa H. Exo1 roles for repair of DNA double-strand breaks and meiotic crossing over in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Biol Cell. 2000;11:2221-33 pubmed..These results suggest that Exo1 functions in the processing of DSB ends and in meiotic crossing over. ..
- Noda T, Klionsky D. The quantitative Pho8Delta60 assay of nonspecific autophagy. Methods Enzymol. 2008;451:33-42 pubmed publisher..Thus, the alkaline phosphatase activity reflects the amount of the cytosol delivered to the vacuole through nonspecific autophagy. ..
- Tanaka Y, Ashikari T, Shibano Y, Amachi T, Yoshizumi H, Matsubara H. Construction of a human cytochrome c gene and its functional expression in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Biochem. 1988;103:954-61 pubmed..The constructed human cytochrome c was functionally expressed in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. The recombinant human cytochrome c was purified and characterized. ..
- Ichikawa N, Mizuno M. Functional expression of hexahistidine-tagged beta-subunit of yeast F1-ATPase and isolation of the enzyme by immobilized metal affinity chromatography. Protein Expr Purif. 2004;37:97-101 pubmed..The application of this novel procedure simplifies the number of steps required for the isolation of F1 used for studying the molecular mechanism of catalysis and regulation of the enzyme. ..
- Omura F, Fujita A, Miyajima K, Fukui N. Engineering of yeast Put4 permease and its application to lager yeast for efficient proline assimilation. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2005;69:1162-71 pubmed..These results suggest possible industrial applications of the mutant Put4 permeases in improved fermentation systems for beer and other alcoholic beverages based on proline-rich fermentable sources. ..
- Inaka K, Taniyama Y, Kikuchi M, Morikawa K, Matsushima M. The crystal structure of a mutant human lysozyme C77/95A with increased secretion efficiency in yeast. J Biol Chem. 1991;266:12599-603 pubmed..One of the possibilities might involve molecular flexibilities in the secondary or tertiary structure for lack of one of the disulfide bonds. ..
- Galluzzi L, Baehrecke E, Ballabio A, Boya P, Bravo San Pedro J, Cecconi F, et al. Molecular definitions of autophagy and related processes. EMBO J. 2017;36:1811-1836 pubmed publisher..The ultimate objective of this collaborative exchange is to formulate recommendations that facilitate the dissemination of knowledge within and outside the field of autophagy research. ..
- Ogita A, Hirooka K, Yamamoto Y, Tsutsui N, Fujita K, Taniguchi M, et al. Synergistic fungicidal activity of Cu(2+) and allicin, an allyl sulfur compound from garlic, and its relation to the role of alkyl hydroperoxide reductase 1 as a cell surface defense in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Toxicology. 2005;215:205-13 pubmed..Our study suggests that allicin influences the mode of cell surface localization or the related function of AHP1 as a defense against phospholipid peroxidation by the external action of Cu(2+)...
- Ogita A, Nagao Y, Fujita K, Tanaka T. Amplification of vacuole-targeting fungicidal activity of antibacterial antibiotic polymyxin B by allicin, an allyl sulfur compound from garlic. J Antibiot (Tokyo). 2007;60:511-8 pubmed..These findings suggest that the allicin-mediated lipoperoxide production in fungal plasma membrane is the cause of the enhancement in the cellular uptake of PMB as well as its action against the vacuole. ..
- Mitsui K, Kamauchi S, Nakamura N, Inoue H, Kanazawa H. A conserved domain in the tail region of the Saccharomyces cerevisiae Na+/H+ antiporter (Nha1p) plays important roles in localization and salinity-resistant cell-growth. J Biochem. 2004;135:139-48 pubmed..Based on the overall similarity of the two-domain structure of Nha1p to that of mammalian Na(+)/H(+) antiporters, the functional importance of domains proximal to the membrane region is discussed. ..
- Mitsui K, Ochi F, Nakamura N, Doi Y, Inoue H, Kanazawa H. A novel membrane protein capable of binding the Na+/H+ antiporter (Nha1p) enhances the salinity-resistant cell growth of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:12438-47 pubmed..These observations suggest that Cos3p is a novel membrane protein that can enhance salinity-resistant cell growth by interacting with the C1+C2 domain of Nha1p and thereby possibly activating the antiporter activity of this protein. ..
- Nakayama T, Yaoi T, Kuwajima G, Yoshie O, Sakata T. Ca2(+)-dependent interaction of N-copine, a member of the two C2 domain protein family, with OS-9, the product of a gene frequently amplified in osteosarcoma. FEBS Lett. 1999;453:77-80 pubmed..By Northern blot analysis, N-copine and OS-9 were co-expressed in the same regions of human brain. These results reveal that OS-9 is a potential target of N-copine. ..
- Mitsui K, Yasui H, Nakamura N, Kanazawa H. Oligomerization of the Saccharomyces cerevisiae Na+/H+ antiporter Nha1p: implications for its antiporter activity. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2005;1720:125-36 pubmed..These results support the notion that Nha1p exists in membranes as a dimer and that the interaction of its monomers is important for its antiporter activity. ..
- Ashida H, Hong Y, Murakami Y, Shishioh N, Sugimoto N, Kim Y, et al. Mammalian PIG-X and yeast Pbn1p are the essential components of glycosylphosphatidylinositol-mannosyltransferase I. Mol Biol Cell. 2005;16:1439-48 pubmed..This is the first report of an essential subcomponent of glycosyltransferases using dolichol-phosphate-monosaccharide. ..
- Doi S, Tanabe K, Watanabe M, Yamaguchi M, Yoshimura M. An alpha-specific gene, SAG1 is required for sexual agglutination in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Curr Genet. 1989;15:393-8 pubmed..Complementation analysis showed that sag1 and ag alpha 1, the latter being a previously reported alpha-specific mutation, were mutations in the same gene. ..
- Sun Wada G, Yoshimizu T, Imai Senga Y, Wada Y, Futai M. Diversity of mouse proton-translocating ATPase: presence of multiple isoforms of the C, d and G subunits. Gene. 2003;302:147-53 pubmed..Although the G3 and d2 did not rescue the vmaDelta phenotype, d1 and the two C isoforms functionally complemented the Deltavma6 and Deltavma5, respectively, indicating that they are bona fide subunits of V-ATPase. ..
- Imai Senga Y, Sun Wada G, Wada Y, Futai M. A human gene, ATP6E1, encoding a testis-specific isoform of H(+)-ATPase subunit E. Gene. 2002;289:7-12 pubmed..E1 exhibited 76.9% identity with ubiquitously expressed E2, and both isoforms functionally complemented null mutations of the yeast counterpart VMA4, indicating that they are bona fide subunits of the V-ATPase complex. ..
- Nakamura T, Kishida M, Shimoda C. The Schizosaccharomyces pombe spo6+ gene encoding a nuclear protein with sequence similarity to budding yeast Dbf4 is required for meiotic second division and sporulation. Genes Cells. 2000;5:463-79 pubmed..These results indicate that Spo6p is a novel Dbf4-related nuclear protein, which is expressed during meiosis and is indispensable for normal progression of meiosis-II and sporulation. ..
- Mitsui K, Matsushita M, Kanazawa H. Saccharomyces cerevisiae glucose signalling regulator Mth1p regulates the organellar Na+/H+ exchanger Nhx1p. Biochem J. 2010;432:343-52 pubmed publisher..The increased resistance to hygromycin was reproduced by truncation of the Mth1p-binding region in Nhx1p. These results implicate Mth1p as a novel regulator of Nhx1p that responds to specific extracellular carbon sources. ..
- Benjaphokee S, Koedrith P, Auesukaree C, Asvarak T, Sugiyama M, Kaneko Y, et al. CDC19 encoding pyruvate kinase is important for high-temperature tolerance in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. N Biotechnol. 2012;29:166-76 pubmed publisher..The possible mechanism leading to this increased activity and to the Htg(+) phenotype, which may lead to the activation of energy metabolism to maintain cellular homeostasis, is discussed. ..
- Itoh T, Tsuzuki H, Katoh T, Teraoka H, Matsumoto K, Yoshida N, et al. Isolation and characterization of human reg protein produced in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. FEBS Lett. 1990;272:85-8 pubmed..The secondary structure of the reg protein was predicted by determination of the intramolecular cystine linkage and of alpha-helix and beta-sheet contents. ..
- Ogita A, Fujita K, Taniguchi M, Tanaka T. Enhancement of the fungicidal activity of amphotericin B by allicin, an allyl-sulfur compound from garlic, against the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae as a model system. Planta Med. 2006;72:1247-50 pubmed..In contrast, allicin did not enhance the cytotoxic activity of AmB against cells of human promyelocytic leukemia (HL-60), a vacuole-less organism. ..
- Iida M, Yamada K, Nango Y, Yamaguchi Y, Ogita A, Fujita K, et al. Vacuolar H+-ATPase subunit Vma1p functions as the molecular ligand in the vacuole-targeting fungicidal activity of polymyxin B. Microbiology. 2017;163:531-540 pubmed publisher..These findings suggested a role for Vma1p in the vacuole-targeting fungicidal activity of PMB comparable to that of LPS in the outer membrane of Gram-negative bacteria...
- Nozaki M, Onishi Y, Togashi S, Miyamoto H. Molecular characterization of the Drosophila Mo25 gene, which is conserved among Drosophila, mouse, and yeast. DNA Cell Biol. 1996;15:505-9 pubmed..Conservation of the gene structure and the wide expression profile indicated that the function of the gene is likely to be fundamental in many cell types as well as during development. ..
- Mizuno T, Harashima S. Gal11 is a general activator of basal transcription, whose activity is regulated by the general repressor Sin4 in yeast. Mol Genet Genomics. 2003;269:68-77 pubmed..These observations suggest that Gal11 acts as a general activator for the basal transcription of various genes, possibly by relieving torsional stress in chromatin, and that its function is repressed by the Sin4 protein. ..
- Ye Y, Fujii M, Hirata A, Kawamukai M, Shimoda C, Nakamura T. Geranylgeranyl diphosphate synthase in fission yeast is a heteromer of farnesyl diphosphate synthase (FPS), Fps1, and an FPS-like protein, Spo9, essential for sporulation. Mol Biol Cell. 2007;18:3568-81 pubmed..We suggest that lack of GGPS activity in a spo9 mutant results in impaired protein prenylation in certain proteins responsible for secretory function, thereby inhibiting forespore membrane formation. ..
- Imaoka S, Hayashi K, Hiroi T, Yabusaki Y, Kamataki T, Funae Y. A transgenic mouse expressing human CYP4B1 in the liver. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2001;284:757-62 pubmed..This transgenic mouse line and the recombinant fusion protein provide a useful tool to study human CYP4B1 and its relation to chemical toxicity and carcinogenesis. ..
- Fukuchi Mizutani M, Mizutani M, Tanaka Y, Kusumi T, Ohta D. Microsomal electron transfer in higher plants: cloning and heterologous expression of NADH-cytochrome b5 reductase from Arabidopsis. Plant Physiol. 1999;119:353-62 pubmed..This substrate specificity of the two reductases is discussed in relation to the NADH- and NADPH-dependent activities of microsomal fatty acid desaturases. ..
- Khatun F, Kurata K, Chuwattanakul V, Sugiyama M, Kaneko Y, Harashima S. Increased transcription of RPL40A and RPL40B is important for the improvement of RNA production in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Biosci Bioeng. 2013;116:423-32 pubmed publisher..We propose a model to explain how SUPE mutation increases the transcription of ribosomal protein genes such as RPL40A and RPL40B in SupE strain, resulting in an increase in RNA content. ..
- Nakase Y, Nakamura T, Hirata A, Routt S, Skinner H, Bankaitis V, et al. The Schizosaccharomyces pombe spo20(+) gene encoding a homologue of Saccharomyces cerevisiae Sec14 plays an important role in forespore membrane formation. Mol Biol Cell. 2001;12:901-17 pubmed..Our results indicate that Spo20 regulates the formation of specialized membrane structures in addition to its recognized role in regulating Golgi secretory function. ..
- Fukushima K, Tanaka Y, Nabeshima K, Yoneki T, Tougan T, Tanaka S, et al. Dmc1 of Schizosaccharomyces pombe plays a role in meiotic recombination. Nucleic Acids Res. 2000;28:2709-16 pubmed..These observations, together with a high level of sequence identity, indicate that the dmc1(+) gene of S. POMBE: is a structural homolog of budding yeast DMC1, sharing both similar and distinct functions in meiosis. ..
- Ogita A, Fujita K, Tanaka T. Enhancement of the fungicidal activity of amphotericin B by allicin: effects on intracellular ergosterol trafficking. Planta Med. 2009;75:222-6 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that allicin enhances AmB-induced vacuole membrane damage by inhibiting ergosterol trafficking from the plasma membrane to the vacuole membrane. ..
- Shirahama Noda K, Kira S, Yoshimori T, Noda T. TRAPPIII is responsible for vesicular transport from early endosomes to Golgi, facilitating Atg9 cycling in autophagy. J Cell Sci. 2013;126:4963-73 pubmed publisher..This clarification of the role of TRAPPIII elucidates how general membrane traffic contributes to autophagy. ..
- Yamamoto A, Taki T, Yagi H, Habu T, Yoshida K, Yoshimura Y, et al. Cell cycle-dependent expression of the mouse Rad51 gene in proliferating cells. Mol Gen Genet. 1996;251:1-12 pubmed..Thus, mouse Rad51 expression is closely related to the state of cell proliferation and is presumably involved in DNA repair coupled with DNA replication, as well as in meiotic DNA recombination in spermatocytes. ..
- Sugiyama M, Nakazawa T, Murakami K, Sumiya T, Nakamura A, Kaneko Y, et al. PCR-mediated one-step deletion of targeted chromosomal regions in haploid Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol. 2008;80:545-53 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that the PCD method is a useful tool for deleting genes and for analyzing their functions in defined chromosomal regions. ..