Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on polysaccharides in Tokyo, Japan
Locale: Tokyo, Japan
- Nemoto Sasaki Y, Mitsuki M, Morimoto Tomita M, Maeda A, Tsuiji M, Irimura T. Correlation between the sialylation of cell surface Thomsen-Friedenreich antigen and the metastatic potential of colon carcinoma cells in a mouse model. Glycoconj J. 2001;18:895-906 pubmed..According to the expression array analysis, there are other glycosyltransferase genes differentially expressed between SL4 and colon 38 cells, yet their involvement in the altered glycosylation in these cells is unclear. ..
- Nagase Y, Yasunaga H, Horiguchi H, Hashimoto H, Shoda N, Kadono Y, et al. Risk factors for pulmonary embolism and the effects of fondaparinux after total hip and knee arthroplasty: a retrospective observational study with use of a national database in Japan. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2011;93:e146 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate the effectiveness of fondaparinux in combination with mechanical prophylaxis for the prevention of postoperative pulmonary embolism after total hip or knee arthroplasty. ..
- Hashii N, Kawasaki N, Itoh S, Nakajima Y, Harazono A, Kawanishi T, et al. Identification of glycoproteins carrying a target glycan-motif by liquid chromatography/multiple-stage mass spectrometry: identification of Lewis x-conjugated glycoproteins in mouse kidney. J Proteome Res. 2009;8:3415-29 pubmed publisher..The results indicated that our method could be applicable for the identification and screening of glycoproteins carrying target glycan-motifs, such as Lewis epitopes. ..
- Fushinobu S, Alves V, Coutinho P. Multiple rewards from a treasure trove of novel glycoside hydrolase and polysaccharide lyase structures: new folds, mechanistic details, and evolutionary relationships. Curr Opin Struct Biol. 2013;23:652-9 pubmed publisher..New methods such as high-speed atomic force microscopy and computational simulation have opened up a path to investigate both the dynamics and the detailed molecular interactions displayed by these enzymes. ..
- Saito Y, Fukumura S, Saito T, Komaki H, Nakagawa E, Sugai K, et al. [Effect of neurotropin on chronic headaches in children]. No To Hattatsu. 2012;44:477-81 pubmed..This agent may also be promising for the treatment of intractable primary headaches during childhood. ..
- Tanaka H, Nishiura Y, Takahashi T. An efficient convergent synthesis of GP1c ganglioside epitope. J Am Chem Soc. 2008;130:17244-5 pubmed publisher..We synthesized the protected GP1c glycolipid epitope, which is a compact, rigid, branched structure, via direct coupling of tetarasaccharide and pentasaccharide units. ..
- Matsumoto T, Sun X, Hanawa T, Kodaira H, Ishii K, Yamada H. Effect of the antiulcer polysaccharide fraction from Bupleurum falcatum L. on the healing of gastric ulcer induced by acetic acid in rats. Phytother Res. 2002;16:91-3 pubmed..This result suggests that the use of herbal prescriptions containing B. falcatum L. may prove useful for the treatment of peptic ulcers. ..
- Kato K, Takeuchi H, Ohki T, Waki M, Usami K, Hassan H, et al. A lectin recognizes differential arrangements of O-glycans on mucin repeats. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2008;371:698-701 pubmed publisher..Therefore, the arrangement but not the quantity of GalNAc residues apparently determines the affinity between VVA-B4 and peptides with attached GalNAc residues. ..
- Aisa Y, Miyakawa Y, Nakazato T, Shibata H, Saito K, Ikeda Y, et al. Fucoidan induces apoptosis of human HS-sultan cells accompanied by activation of caspase-3 and down-regulation of ERK pathways. Am J Hematol. 2005;78:7-14 pubmed..These results demonstrate that fucoidan has direct anti-cancer effects on human HS-Sultan cells through caspase and ERK pathways. ..
- Manya H, Suzuki T, Akasaka Manya K, Ishida H, Mizuno M, Suzuki Y, et al. Regulation of mammalian protein O-mannosylation: preferential amino acid sequence for O-mannose modification. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:20200-6 pubmed..Based on these results, we propose a preferred amino acid sequence for mammalian O-mannose modification. ..
- Iba T, Okamoto K, Ohike T, Tajirika T, Aihara K, Watanabe S, et al. Enoxaparin and fondaparinux attenuates endothelial damage in endotoxemic rats. J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2012;72:177-82 pubmed publisher..Because the setting of this experiment is different from the clinical use, further study is required for the comparison of both pharmaceuticals. ..
- Jin Z, Katsumata K, Lam T, Iiyama K. Covalent linkages between cellulose and lignin in cell walls of coniferous and nonconiferous woods. Biopolymers. 2006;83:103-10 pubmed..The situation of linkage between wall polysaccharides containing cellulose and lignin was visualized by scanning electron micrographs. ..
- Toyama A, Nakagawa H, Matsuda K, Sato T, Nakamura Y, Ueda K. Quantitative structural characterization of local N-glycan microheterogeneity in therapeutic antibodies by energy-resolved oxonium ion monitoring. Anal Chem. 2012;84:9655-62 pubmed publisher..The data suggests that energy-resolved oxonium ion monitoring could fulfill the regulatory requirement on the routine quality control analysis of forthcoming biosimilar therapeutics. ..
- Yasuda E, Tateno H, Hirabayashi J, Hirabarashi J, Iino T, Sako T. Lectin microarray reveals binding profiles of Lactobacillus casei strains in a comprehensive analysis of bacterial cell wall polysaccharides. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2011;77:4539-46 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, the developed technique provided a novel strategy for rapid profiling and, more importantly, differentiating numerous bacterial strains with relevance to the biological functions of PS. ..
- Yuri M, Tabe Y, Tsuchiya K, Sadatsuki R, Aoki J, Horii T, et al. Evaluation of Factor Xa-Specific Chromogenic Substrate Assays and the Determination of Pharmacokinetics of Fondaparinux. Clin Appl Thromb Hemost. 2016;22:453-8 pubmed publisher..Anti-Xa activity can be successfully determined using 2 chromogenic assays and automated biochemical analyzers. The clinical significance of anti-Xa activity monitoring should be examined in the future study. ..
- An C, Kuda T, Yazaki T, Takahashi H, Kimura B. FLX pyrosequencing analysis of the effects of the brown-algal fermentable polysaccharides alginate and laminaran on rat cecal microbiotas. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2013;79:860-6 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that edible brown algae can alter the intestinal environment, with fermentation by intestinal microbiota. ..
- Tomoda M, Hirabayashi K, Shimizu N, Gonda R, Ohara N. The core structure of ginsenan PA, a phagocytosis-activating polysaccharide from the root of Panax ginseng. Biol Pharm Bull. 1994;17:1287-91 pubmed..alpha-L-Arabinose units are connected mainly to the core galactose moieties via position 6. Removal of most of the arabinose units had a considerable effect on immunological activity. ..
- Ayabe Chujo Y, Usami Y, Yoshida T, Omori T, Nojiri H. Membrane topology and functional analysis of Methylobacillus sp. 12S genes epsF and epsG, encoding polysaccharide chain-length determining proteins. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2012;76:608-12 pubmed..The N- and C-termini of EpsF were found to locate to the cytoplasm, and EpsF was predicted to have two transmembrane regions. EpsG showed both ATPase and autophosphorylation activities...
- Kotani N, Asano M, Iwakura Y, Takasaki S. Knockout of mouse beta 1,4-galactosyltransferase-1 gene results in a dramatic shift of outer chain moieties of N-glycans from type 2 to type 1 chains in hepatic membrane and plasma glycoproteins. Biochem J. 2001;357:827-34 pubmed..The knockout mice may prove useful in investigation of the mechanism which regulates the tissue-dependent terminal glycosylation. ..
- Shiraishi N, Natsume A, Togayachi A, Endo T, Akashima T, Yamada Y, et al. Identification and characterization of three novel beta 1,3-N-acetylglucosaminyltransferases structurally related to the beta 1,3-galactosyltransferase family. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:3498-507 pubmed..Considering the differences in substrate specificity and distribution, each beta1,3-N-acetylglucosaminyltransferase may play different roles. ..
- Kawai R, Igarashi K, Samejima M. Gene cloning and heterologous expression of glycoside hydrolase family 55 beta-1,3-glucanase from the basidiomycete Phanerochaete chrysosporium. Biotechnol Lett. 2006;28:365-71 pubmed
- Furumizu C, Komeda Y. A novel mutation in KNOPF uncovers the role of alpha-glucosidase I during post-embryonic development in Arabidopsis thaliana. FEBS Lett. 2008;582:2237-41 pubmed publisher..This knf-101 mutation alters cell shape but does not affect cell arrangements, except for the patterning of specialized epidermal cells, delineating the significance of N-glycan processing during epidermal development in Arabidopsis. ..
- Mori M, Kimura H, Iwamura Y, Arai S, Miyazaki T. Modification of N-glycosylation modulates the secretion and lipolytic function of apoptosis inhibitor of macrophage (AIM). FEBS Lett. 2012;586:3569-74 pubmed..Although human AIM contains no N-glycan, attachment of N-glycans increased AIM secretion. Thus, the N-glycosylation plays important roles in the secretion and lipolytic function of AIM. ..
- Matsumoto S, Nagaoka M, Hara T, Kimura Takagi I, Mistuyama K, Ueyama S. Fucoidan derived from Cladosiphon okamuranus Tokida ameliorates murine chronic colitis through the down-regulation of interleukin-6 production on colonic epithelial cells. Clin Exp Immunol. 2004;136:432-9 pubmed..Fucoidan improves murine chronic colitis by down-regulating the synthesis of IL-6 in the colonic epithelial cells. Fucoidan derived from C. o. Tokida may be useful as a dietary substance for the patients with inflammatory bowel disease. ..
- Nishihara S, Iwasaki H, Kaneko M, Tawada A, Ito M, Narimatsu H. Alpha1,3-fucosyltransferase 9 (FUT9; Fuc-TIX) preferentially fucosylates the distal GlcNAc residue of polylactosamine chain while the other four alpha1,3FUT members preferentially fucosylate the inner GlcNAc residue. FEBS Lett. 1999;462:289-94 pubmed..In contrast, the other four members synthesize more effectively the internal Le(x) epitope. FUT7 could not transfer a fucose to an acceptor which is non-sialylated. ..
- Fukushima K, Ikehara Y, Yamashita K. Functional role played by the glycosylphosphatidylinositol anchor glycan of CD48 in interleukin-18-induced interferon-gamma production. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:18056-62 pubmed..IL-18Ralpha. CD48 via both the peptide portion and GPI glycan triggers the binding to IL-18Rbeta, and the IL-18.IL-18Ralpha.CD48.IL-18Rbeta complex induces cellular signaling. ..
- Kamiyama S, Ichimiya T, Ikehara Y, Takase T, Fujimoto I, Suda T, et al. Expression and the role of 3'-phosphoadenosine 5'-phosphosulfate transporters in human colorectal carcinoma. Glycobiology. 2011;21:235-46 pubmed publisher..These findings indicate that PAPS transporters play a role in the proliferation of colorectal carcinoma cells themselves and take part in a desmoplastic reaction to support cancer growth by controlling their sulfation status. ..
- Manya H, Akasaka Manya K, Nakajima A, Kawakita M, Endo T. Role of N-glycans in maintaining the activity of protein O-mannosyltransferases POMT1 and POMT2. J Biochem. 2010;147:337-44 pubmed publisher..The loss of activity appeared to be due to the decreased hydrophilicity. These results suggest that the N-glycosylation of POMT1 and POMT2 is required for maintaining the conformation as well as the activity of the POMT1-POMT2 complex. ..
- Nishijima Y, Toyoda M, Yamazaki Inoue M, Sugiyama T, Miyazawa M, Muramatsu T, et al. Glycan profiling of endometrial cancers using lectin microarray. Genes Cells. 2012;17:826-36 pubmed publisher..Glycan profiling by the lectin microarray may be used to assess the characteristics of tumors and potentially to predict the success of chemotherapy treatment. ..
- Yoshida Y, Chiba T, Tokunaga F, Kawasaki H, Iwai K, Suzuki T, et al. E3 ubiquitin ligase that recognizes sugar chains. Nature. 2002;418:438-42 pubmed..Our results indicate that SCF(Fbx2) ubiquitinates N-glycosylated proteins that are translocated from the ER to the cytosol by the quality control mechanism. ..
- Kariya Y, Mulloy B, Imai K, Tominaga A, Kaneko T, Asari A, et al. Isolation and partial characterization of fucan sulfates from the body wall of sea cucumber Stichopus japonicus and their ability to inhibit osteoclastogenesis. Carbohydr Res. 2004;339:1339-46 pubmed..These results suggest that types A and B fucan sulfate from sea cucumber are potent inhibitors of osteoclastogenesis...
- Suzuki K, Sumitani J, Nam Y, Nishimaki T, Tani S, Wakagi T, et al. Crystal structures of glycoside hydrolase family 3 ?-glucosidase 1 from Aspergillus aculeatus. Biochem J. 2013;452:211-21 pubmed publisher..The crystal structures of AaBGL1 from the present study provide an important structural basis for the technical improvement of enzymatic cellulosic biomass conversion...
- Konagai A, Yoshimura K, Hazama S, Yamamoto N, Aoki K, Ueno T, et al. Correlation Between NKG2DL Expression and Antitumor Effect of Protein-bound Polysaccharide-K in Tumor-bearing Mouse Models. Anticancer Res. 2017;37:4093-4101 pubmed..We demonstrated that the expression of NKG2DLs affects tumor immunity and the efficacy of immuno therapy in tumor-bearing mouse model. ..
- Tomoda M, Hirabayashi K, Shimizu N, Gonda R, Ohara N, Takada K. Characterization of two novel polysaccharides having immunological activities from the root of Panax ginseng. Biol Pharm Bull. 1993;16:1087-90 pubmed..These substances are the first examples having a relatively high content of both alpha-3,5-branched L-arabinose and beta-1,4-linked D-galactose units among the acidic arabinogalactans with activities on phagocytosis and anti-complement. ..
- Suzuki K, Sakiyama Y, Usui M, Obama T, Kato R, Itabe H, et al. Oxidized low-density lipoprotein increases interleukin-8 production in human gingival epithelial cell line Ca9-22. J Periodontal Res. 2010;45:488-95 pubmed publisher..Among oxidized lipids and chemically modified LDL, 7-ketocholesterol enhanced IL-8 production. This is the first report to show that OxLDL enhances IL-8 production in epithelial cells. ..
- Zhang S, Togo S, Minakata K, Gu T, Ohashi R, Tajima K, et al. Distinct roles of cholinergic receptors in small cell lung cancer cells. Anticancer Res. 2010;30:97-106 pubmed..The mAChR3 antagonist may therefore be a beneficial therapeutic modality for SCLC patients, especially those with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) as a comorbidity. ..
- Iida K, Fujita K, Hirai H, Goto H, Miyazaki S, Arai Y, et al. Preventive effects of polysaccharides extracted from human tubercle bacilli (specific substance of Maruyama) on colonic carcinogenesis in rats. Cancer Detect Prev. 1997;21:476-82 pubmed..SSM is suggested to reduce the colorectal carcinogenesis induced with DMH by inhibiting DNA synthesis in a de novo pathway, and to suppress the development of the tumors by decreasing DNA synthesis in the salvage pathway in rats. ..
- Katsuma S, Nakanishi T, Daimon T, Shimada T. N-linked glycans located in the pro-region of Bombyx mori nucleopolyhedrovirus V-CATH are essential for the proper folding of V-CATH and V-CHIA. J Gen Virol. 2009;90:170-6 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that N-linked glycans located in the pro-region of BmNPV V-CATH are essential for the proper folding of V-CATH and V-CHIA. ..
- Kumamoto Y, Higashi N, Denda Nagai K, Tsuiji M, Sato K, Crocker P, et al. Identification of sialoadhesin as a dominant lymph node counter-receptor for mouse macrophage galactose-type C-type lectin 1. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:49274-80 pubmed..These results suggest that Sn acts as an endogenous counter-receptor for MGL1. ..
- Tsuji S, Sofuni A, Moriyasu F, Itokawa F, Ishii K, Kurihara T, et al. Contrast-enhanced ultrasonography in the diagnosis of gallbladder disease. Hepatogastroenterology. 2012;59:336-40 pubmed publisher..The aim of our study was to evaluate the enhancement patterns of gallbladder disease using contrast-enhanced ultrasonography (CE-US) with the contrast agent levovist...
- Sakuda K, Kizuka Y, Yamaguchi Y, Tanaka K, Ogiwara K, Segawa T, et al. Reactivity of anti-HNK-1 antibodies to branched O-mannose glycans associated with demyelination. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2017;487:450-456 pubmed publisher..Finally, we confirmed the increased HNK-1 epitope expression in demyelinated brains of cuprizone-fed mice. ..
- Imamura H, Jeon B, Wakagi T. Molecular evolution of the ATPase subunit of three archaeal sugar ABC transporters. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2004;319:230-4 pubmed..DNA sequence comparison revealed that the malK gene was generated through the duplication of the mdxK gene before lateral gene transfer of the mal gene cluster from T. litoralis to Pyrococcus furiosus...
- Suzuki R, Katayama T, Kitaoka M, Kumagai H, Wakagi T, Shoun H, et al. Crystallographic and mutational analyses of substrate recognition of endo-alpha-N-acetylgalactosaminidase from Bifidobacterium longum. J Biochem. 2009;146:389-98 pubmed publisher..Our results provide a structural basis for substrate recognition by GH101 endo-alpha-GalNAc-ases and will help structure-based engineering of these enzymes to produce various kinds of neo-glycoconjugates. ..
- Tai T. Identification of N-glycan-binding proteins for E3 ubiquitin ligases. Methods Enzymol. 2006;415:20-30 pubmed
- Kitamura N, Ikekita M, Sato T, Akimoto Y, Hatanaka Y, Kawakami H, et al. Mouse Na+/K+-ATPase beta1-subunit has a K+-dependent cell adhesion activity for beta-GlcNAc-terminating glycans. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005;102:2796-801 pubmed..These results indicate that the Na(+)/K(+)-ATPase beta1-subunit is a potassium-dependent lectin that binds to GlcNAc-terminating oligosaccharides: it may be involved in neural cell interactions. ..
- Yu J, Sawada T, Adachi T, Gao X, Takematsu H, Kozutsumi Y, et al. Synthetic glycan ligand excludes CD22 from antigen receptor-containing lipid rafts. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2007;360:759-64 pubmed..Because CD22-mediated signal regulation requires phosphorylation of CD22 by Lyn that localizes in lipid rafts and is activated by BCR, synthetic glycan ligand regulates localization of CD22 crucial for signal regulation. ..
- Kotani N, Asano M, Inoue N, Iwakura Y, Takasaki S. Polylactosamine synthesis and branch formation of N-glycans in beta1,4-galactosyltransferase-1-deficient mice. Arch Biochem Biophys. 2004;426:258-65 pubmed..These results suggest that beta4GalT-1 expressed in erythroid cells may regulate a constant branch formation of N-glycans and plays a predominant role in beta1,4-galactosylation of core 2 O-glycan. ..
- Hashii N, Kawasaki N, Itoh S, Nakajima Y, Kawanishi T, Yamaguchi T. Alteration of N-glycosylation in the kidney in a mouse model of systemic lupus erythematosus: relative quantification of N-glycans using an isotope-tagging method. Immunology. 2009;126:336-45 pubmed publisher..The changes in glycosylation might be involved in autoimmune pathogenesis in the model mouse kidney. ..
- Akasaka Manya K, Manya H, Sakurai Y, Wojczyk B, Kozutsumi Y, Saito Y, et al. Protective effect of N-glycan bisecting GlcNAc residues on beta-amyloid production in Alzheimer's disease. Glycobiology. 2010;20:99-106 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results suggest that upregulation of GnT-III in AD brains may represent an adaptive response to protect them from additional beta-amyloid production. ..
- Yi Y, Kamata Sakurai M, Denda Nagai K, Itoh T, Okada K, Ishii Schrade K, et al. Mucin 21/epiglycanin modulates cell adhesion. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:21233-40 pubmed publisher..Although at least a portion of Muc21 was glycosylated with sialylated glycans, removal of sialic acid did not influence the prevention of adhesion. ..
- Nakamura M, Tsuji O, Bregman B, Toyama Y, Okano H. Mimicking the neurotrophic factor profile of embryonic spinal cord controls the differentiation potential of spinal progenitors into neuronal cells. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e20717 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that endogenous CNTF and exogenous BDNF and NT-3 play roles in the differentiation of embryonic spinal cord derived progenitor cells into astrocytes, neurons and oligodendrocytes, respectively. ..