Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on fibroblast growth factors in Kyoto, Japan
Locale: Kyoto, Japan
Topic: fibroblast growth factors
- Itoh N, Ornitz D. Functional evolutionary history of the mouse Fgf gene family. Dev Dyn. 2008;237:18-27 pubmed..During the evolution of early vertebrates, the Fgf subfamilies further expanded to contain three or four members in each subfamily. ..
- Usui H, Shibayama M, Ohbayashi N, Konishi M, Takada S, Itoh N. Fgf18 is required for embryonic lung alveolar development. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2004;322:887-92 pubmed..The cell proliferation during the terminal saccular stage stimulated by Fgf18 might play roles in the remodeling of the distal lung. ..
- Yamauchi H, Hotta Y, Konishi M, Miyake A, Kawahara A, Itoh N. Fgf21 is essential for haematopoiesis in zebrafish. EMBO Rep. 2006;7:649-54 pubmed..These results indicate that Fgf21 is a newly identified factor essential for the determination of myelo-erythroid progenitor cell fate in vivo. ..
- Itoh N, Konishi M. The zebrafish fgf family. Zebrafish. 2007;4:179-86 pubmed..As the zebrafish system has proved useful for studying gene functions and genetic diseases, the present findings will be useful for elucidation of roles of FGFs in zebrafish and humans. ..
- Murakami A, Ishida S, Thurlow J, Revest J, Dickson C. SOX6 binds CtBP2 to repress transcription from the Fgf-3 promoter. Nucleic Acids Res. 2001;29:3347-55 pubmed..These results show that SOX6 can recruit CtBP2 to repress transcription from the Fgf-3 promoter. ..
- Satou Y, Imai K, Satoh N. Fgf genes in the basal chordate Ciona intestinalis. Dev Genes Evol. 2002;212:432-8 pubmed publisher..The identification of these six FGF genes in the basal chordate gave us an insight into the diversification of specific subfamilies of vertebrate FGFs...
- Ohbayashi N, Hoshikawa M, Kimura S, Yamasaki M, Fukui S, Itoh N. Structure and expression of the mRNA encoding a novel fibroblast growth factor, FGF-18. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:18161-4 pubmed..The present results indicate that FGF-18 is a unique secreted signaling molecule in the adult lung and developing tissues. ..
- Yamasaki M, Miyake A, Tagashira S, Itoh N. Structure and expression of the rat mRNA encoding a novel member of the fibroblast growth factor family. J Biol Chem. 1996;271:15918-21 pubmed..The expression profile of the FGF-related mRNA was different from those of other FGF family mRNAs. As this protein is the 10th documented protein related to FGFs, we tentatively term this protein FGF-10. ..
- Harima Y, Kageyama R. Oscillatory links of Fgf signaling and Hes7 in the segmentation clock. Curr Opin Genet Dev. 2013;23:484-90 pubmed publisher..In addition, Fgf signaling was found to be a primary target for hypoxia, which causes phenotypic variations of heterozygous mutations in Hes7 or Mesp2, suggesting gene-environment interaction through this signaling. ..
- Ohta N, Satou Y. Multiple signaling pathways coordinate to induce a threshold response in a chordate embryo. PLoS Genet. 2013;9:e1003818 pubmed publisher..Thus, these signaling pathways coordinate to evoke a threshold response that delineates a sharp expression boundary. ..
- Nakayama Y, Miyake A, Nakagawa Y, Mido T, Yoshikawa M, Konishi M, et al. Fgf19 is required for zebrafish lens and retina development. Dev Biol. 2008;313:752-66 pubmed..Knockdown of Fgf19 also caused incorrect axon pathfinding. The present findings indicate that Fgf19 positively regulates the patterning and growth of the retina, and the differentiation and growth of the lens in zebrafish. ..
- Hotta Y, Sasaki S, Konishi M, Kinoshita H, Kuwahara K, Nakao K, et al. Fgf16 is required for cardiomyocyte proliferation in the mouse embryonic heart. Dev Dyn. 2008;237:2947-54 pubmed publisher..The embryonic heart phenotype is similar to that of the Fgf9 knockout heart, indicating Fgf9 and Fgf16 to synergistically act as growth factors for embryonic cardiomyocytes. ..
- Hotta Y, Nakamura H, Konishi M, Murata Y, Takagi H, Matsumura S, et al. Fibroblast growth factor 21 regulates lipolysis in white adipose tissue but is not required for ketogenesis and triglyceride clearance in liver. Endocrinology. 2009;150:4625-33 pubmed publisher..The present results indicate that Fgf21 regulates lipolysis in adipocytes in response to the metabolic state but is not required for ketogenesis and triglyceride clearance in the liver. ..
- Tomiyama K, Maeda R, Urakawa I, Yamazaki Y, Tanaka T, Ito S, et al. Relevant use of Klotho in FGF19 subfamily signaling system in vivo. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:1666-71 pubmed publisher..One-to-one functional interactions such as alpha-Klotho/FGF23, beta-Klotho/FGF15 (humanFGF19), and undefined cofactor/FGF21 would result in tissue-specific signal transduction of the FGF19 subfamily. ..
- Tokuoka M, Imai K, Satou Y, Satoh N. Three distinct lineages of mesenchymal cells in Ciona intestinalis embryos demonstrated by specific gene expression. Dev Biol. 2004;274:211-24 pubmed..These results provide evidence that the differentiation of each of the three mesenchyme lineages of Ciona embryos is characterized by the expression of a specific set of genes, whose expression is controlled differentially. ..
- Murakami A, Shen H, Ishida S, Dickson C. SOX7 and GATA-4 are competitive activators of Fgf-3 transcription. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:28564-73 pubmed..This Fgf-3 expression was virtually abolished when Sox7 expression was suppressed by RNA interference. These results show that SOX7 is a potent activator of Fgf-3 transcription. ..
- Yamashita T, Konishi M, Miyake A, Inui K, Itoh N. Fibroblast growth factor (FGF)-23 inhibits renal phosphate reabsorption by activation of the mitogen-activated protein kinase pathway. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:28265-70 pubmed..Inhibitors of the MAPK pathway, PD98059 and SB203580, also blocked the activity of FGF-23. The present findings have revealed a novel MAPK-dependent mechanism of the regulation of phosphate uptake by FGF signaling. ..
- Nishimura T, Nakatake Y, Konishi M, Itoh N. Identification of a novel FGF, FGF-21, preferentially expressed in the liver. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2000;1492:203-6 pubmed..Human FGF-21 is highly identical ( approximately 75% amino acid identity) to mouse FGF-21. Among human FGF family members, FGF-21 is most similar ( approximately 35% amino acid identity) to FGF-19. ..
- Konishi M, Mikami T, Yamasaki M, Miyake A, Itoh N. Fibroblast growth factor-16 is a growth factor for embryonic brown adipocytes. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:12119-22 pubmed..The expression profile of FGF-16 mRNA and the mitogenic activity of FGF-16 reported here indicate that FGF-16 is a unique growth factor involved in proliferation of embryonic brown adipose tissue. ..
- Yamamoto S, Mikami T, Ohbayashi N, Ohta M, Itoh N. Structure and expression of a novel isoform of mouse FGF homologous factor (FHF)-4. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1998;1398:38-41 pubmed
- Yamauchi H, Goto M, Katayama M, Miyake A, Itoh N. Fgf20b is required for the ectomesenchymal fate establishment of cranial neural crest cells in zebrafish. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2011;409:705-10 pubmed publisher..Fgfr1 knockdown embryos also showed dysplastic neurocranial and pharyngeal cartilages. The present findings indicate that Fgf20b is required for ectomesenchymal fate establishment via the activation of Fgfr1 in zebrafish...
- Emoto H, Tagashira S, Mattei M, Yamasaki M, Hashimoto G, Katsumata T, et al. Structure and expression of human fibroblast growth factor-10. J Biol Chem. 1997;272:23191-4 pubmed..The specificity of mitogenic activity of FGF-10 is similar to that of FGF-7 but distinct from that of bFGF. In structure and biological activity, FGF-10 is similar to FGF-7. ..
- Kanematsu A, Marui A, Yamamoto S, Ozeki M, Hirano Y, Yamamoto M, et al. Type I collagen can function as a reservoir of basic fibroblast growth factor. J Control Release. 2004;99:281-92 pubmed..These results suggest the significance and therapeutic utility of type I collagen as a reservoir of bFGF...
- Ohbayashi N, Shibayama M, Kurotaki Y, Imanishi M, Fujimori T, Itoh N, et al. FGF18 is required for normal cell proliferation and differentiation during osteogenesis and chondrogenesis. Genes Dev. 2002;16:870-9 pubmed..Conversely, chondrocyte proliferation and the number of differentiated chondrocytes are increased. Therefore, FGF18 appears to regulate cell proliferation and differentiation positively in osteogenesis and negatively in chondrogenesis. ..
- Niwa Y, Masamizu Y, Liu T, Nakayama R, Deng C, Kageyama R. The initiation and propagation of Hes7 oscillation are cooperatively regulated by Fgf and notch signaling in the somite segmentation clock. Dev Cell. 2007;13:298-304 pubmed..We thus propose that Hes7 oscillation is initiated by Fgf signaling and propagated/maintained anteriorly by Notch signaling. ..
- Miyake A, Nakayama Y, Konishi M, Itoh N. Fgf19 regulated by Hh signaling is required for zebrafish forebrain development. Dev Biol. 2005;288:259-75 pubmed..The present findings indicate that Fgf19 signaling is crucial for forebrain development by interacting with Hh and provide new insights into the roles of Fgf signaling in brain development. ..
- Saitsu H, Komada M, Suzuki M, Nakayama R, Motoyama J, Shiota K, et al. Expression of the mouse Fgf15 gene is directly initiated by Sonic hedgehog signaling in the diencephalon and midbrain. Dev Dyn. 2005;232:282-92 pubmed..These findings indicate that Fgf15 is directly regulated by Shh signaling through Gli proteins. ..
- Itoh N, Ornitz D. Evolution of the Fgf and Fgfr gene families. Trends Genet. 2004;20:563-9 pubmed..The expansion of the Fgf and Fgfr gene families has enabled this signaling system to acquire functional diversity and, therefore, an almost ubiquitous involvement in developmental and physiological processes. ..
- Nishimura T, Utsunomiya Y, Hoshikawa M, Ohuchi H, Itoh N. Structure and expression of a novel human FGF, FGF-19, expressed in the fetal brain. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1999;1444:148-51 pubmed
- Murata Y, Nishio K, Mochiyama T, Konishi M, Shimada M, Ohta H, et al. Fgf21 impairs adipocyte insulin sensitivity in mice fed a low-carbohydrate, high-fat ketogenic diet. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e69330 pubmed publisher..In addition, our findings indicate that Fgf21 induced to express by KD is a negative regulator of adipocyte insulin sensitivity in adaptation to a low-carbohydrate malnutritional state. ..
- Kuroda M, Muramatsu R, Maedera N, Koyama Y, Hamaguchi M, Fujimura H, et al. Peripherally derived FGF21 promotes remyelination in the central nervous system. J Clin Invest. 2017;127:3496-3509 pubmed publisher..Vascular barrier disruption is a common feature of many CNS disorders; thus, our findings reveal a potentially important role for the peripheral milieu in promoting CNS regeneration. ..
- Yamauchi H, Miyakawa N, Miyake A, Itoh N. Fgf4 is required for left-right patterning of visceral organs in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2009;332:177-85 pubmed publisher..The present findings indicate that Fgf4 plays a unique role in the LR patterning of visceral organs in zebrafish. ..
- Komada M, Saitsu H, Shiota K, Ishibashi M. Expression of Fgf15 is regulated by both activator and repressor forms of Gli2 in vitro. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2008;369:350-6 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that the repressor form of Gli2 preferentially binds to the GliREs to control Fgf15 expression. ..
- Nomura R, Kamei E, Hotta Y, Konishi M, Miyake A, Itoh N. Fgf16 is essential for pectoral fin bud formation in zebrafish. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2006;347:340-6 pubmed..These findings have revealed that Fgf16, a newly identified AER factor, plays a crucial role in pectoral fin bud outgrowth by mediating the interactions of AER-mesenchyme and AER-ZPA. ..
- Ohta H, Konishi M, Itoh N. FGF10 and FGF21 as regulators in adipocyte development and metabolism. Endocr Metab Immune Disord Drug Targets. 2011;11:302-9 pubmed..FGF21 may be a "thrifty factor". Serum FGF21 levels are increased in patients with metabolic diseases related with obesity, indicating potential roles of FGF21 in adipocyte metabolism. ..
- Harada A, Katoh H, Negishi M. Direct interaction of Rnd1 with FRS2 beta regulates Rnd1-induced down-regulation of RhoA activity and is involved in fibroblast growth factor-induced neurite outgrowth in PC12 cells. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:18418-24 pubmed..These results suggest that the activity of Rnd1 is regulated by FGF receptor through FRS2beta and that Rnd1 plays an important role in the FGF signaling during neurite outgrowth. ..
- Ohmachi S, Mikami T, Konishi M, Miyake A, Itoh N. Preferential neurotrophic activity of fibroblast growth factor-20 for dopaminergic neurons through fibroblast growth factor receptor-1c. J Neurosci Res. 2003;72:436-43 pubmed..The present findings indicate that the activation of the MAPK pathway by FGF-20 signaling through FGFR-1c plays important roles in the survival of dopaminergic neurons in the SNPC. ..
- Mizuseki K, Kishi M, Matsui M, Nakanishi S, Sasai Y. Xenopus Zic-related-1 and Sox-2, two factors induced by chordin, have distinct activities in the initiation of neural induction. Development. 1998;125:579-87 pubmed