Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on developmental gene expression regulation in Kyoto, Japan
Locale: Kyoto, Japan
Topic: developmental gene expression regulation
- Taguchi S, Tagawa K, Humphreys T, Satoh N. Group B sox genes that contribute to specification of the vertebrate brain are expressed in the apical organ and ciliary bands of hemichordate larvae. Zoolog Sci. 2002;19:57-66 pubmed
- Satoh G, Wang Y, Zhang P, Satoh N. Early development of amphioxus nervous system with special reference to segmental cell organization and putative sensory cell precursors: a study based on the expression of pan-neuronal marker gene Hu/elav. J Exp Zool. 2001;291:354-64 pubmed..Taking recent gene expression studies and anatomical studies into consideration, we discuss ontogenetic and phylogenetic features of the amphioxus nervous system...
- Fujikura J, Hosoda K, Kawaguchi Y, Noguchi M, Iwakura H, Odori S, et al. Rbp-j regulates expansion of pancreatic epithelial cells and their differentiation into exocrine cells during mouse development. Dev Dyn. 2007;236:2779-91 pubmed..Our study indicates that, in addition to its role in preventing premature differentiation of early endocrine cells, Rbp-j regulates epithelial growth, Pdx1 expression, and acinar cell differentiation during mid-pancreatic development. ..
- Sasai N, Mizuseki K, Sasai Y. Requirement of FoxD3-class signaling for neural crest determination in Xenopus. Development. 2001;128:2525-36 pubmed..These data demonstrate that FoxD3 (or its closely related factor) is an essential upstream regulator of neural crest determination. ..
- Tsubouchi A, Tsuyama T, Fujioka M, Kohda H, Okamoto Furuta K, Aigaki T, et al. Mitochondrial protein Preli-like is required for development of dendritic arbors and prevents their regression in the Drosophila sensory nervous system. Development. 2009;136:3757-66 pubmed publisher..Our observations suggest that Prel-dependent regulation of mitochondrial activity is important for both growth and prevention of breakage of dendritic branches. ..
- Thumkeo D, Keel J, Ishizaki T, Hirose M, Nonomura K, Oshima H, et al. Targeted disruption of the mouse rho-associated kinase 2 gene results in intrauterine growth retardation and fetal death. Mol Cell Biol. 2003;23:5043-55 pubmed
- Nishimoto S, Nishida E. Fibroblast growth factor 13 is essential for neural differentiation in Xenopus early embryonic development. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:24255-61 pubmed..Together, these results identify a role of FGF13 in Xenopus neural differentiation. ..
- Nakayama A, Satou Y, Satoh N. Isolation and characterization of genes that are expressed during Ciona intestinalis metamorphosis. Dev Genes Evol. 2001;211:184-9 pubmed..This gene may be involved in the dynamic arrangement of cells during ascidian metamorphosis...
- Yamada M, Terao M, Terashima T, Fujiyama T, Kawaguchi Y, Nabeshima Y, et al. Origin of climbing fiber neurons and their developmental dependence on Ptf1a. J Neurosci. 2007;27:10924-34 pubmed..These findings clarify the precise origin of CF neurons and suggest that Ptf1a controls their fate, survival, differentiation, and migration during development. ..
- Saba R, Johnson J, Saito T. Commissural neuron identity is specified by a homeodomain protein, Mbh1, that is directly downstream of Math1. Development. 2005;132:2147-55 pubmed..These findings indicate that Mbh1 is necessary and sufficient for the specification of commissural neurons, as a direct downstream target of Math1. ..
- Bessho Y, Sakata R, Komatsu S, Shiota K, Yamada S, Kageyama R. Dynamic expression and essential functions of Hes7 in somite segmentation. Genes Dev. 2001;15:2642-7 pubmed..These results indicate that Hes7 controls the cyclic expression of lunatic fringe and is essential for coordinated somite segmentation. ..
- Sugimura K, Satoh D, Estes P, Crews S, Uemura T. Development of morphological diversity of dendrites in Drosophila by the BTB-zinc finger protein abrupt. Neuron. 2004;43:809-22 pubmed..Together with the results of monitoring dendritic dynamics of ab-misexpressing cells or ab mutant ones, all of the data suggested that Ab endows characteristics of dendritic morphogenesis of the class I neurons. ..
- Imamura M, Miura K, Iwabuchi K, Ichisaka T, Nakagawa M, Lee J, et al. Transcriptional repression and DNA hypermethylation of a small set of ES cell marker genes in male germline stem cells. BMC Dev Biol. 2006;6:34 pubmed..Our results suggest that DNA hypermethylation and transcriptional repression of a small set of ECATs, together with post-transcriptional repression of Oct3/4 and Sox2, contribute to the loss of pluripotency in male germ cells. ..
- Kitaguchi T, Kawakami K, Kawahara A. Transcriptional regulation of a myeloid-lineage specific gene lysozyme C during zebrafish myelopoiesis. Mech Dev. 2009;126:314-23 pubmed publisher..1 together induced ectopic lyz expression in the intermediated cell mass (ICM). Thus, we propose that c/ebp1 and runx1 presumably cooperated with pu.1 in the transcriptional regulation of lyz during zebrafish myelopoiesis. ..
- Nakamura K, Watakabe A, Hioki H, Fujiyama F, Tanaka Y, Yamamori T, et al. Transiently increased colocalization of vesicular glutamate transporters 1 and 2 at single axon terminals during postnatal development of mouse neocortex: a quantitative analysis with correlation coefficient. Eur J Neurosci. 2007;26:3054-67 pubmed..As VGLUT1 is often used in axon terminals that show synaptic plasticity in adult brain, the present findings suggest that VGLUT1 is used in thalamocortical axons transiently during the postnatal period when plasticity is required. ..
- Nishimura K, Kitamura Y, Umesono Y, Takeuchi K, Takata K, Taniguchi T, et al. Identification of glutamic acid decarboxylase gene and distribution of GABAergic nervous system in the planarian Dugesia japonica. Neuroscience. 2008;153:1103-14 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that DjGAD is clearly required for GABA biosynthesis and photosensitivity in planarians, and expression of DjGAD as detected by anti-DjGAD antibody is a useful marker for GABAergic neurons. ..
- Ohtsuka T, Takao Rikitsu E, Inoue E, Inoue M, Takeuchi M, Matsubara K, et al. Cast: a novel protein of the cytomatrix at the active zone of synapses that forms a ternary complex with RIM1 and munc13-1. J Cell Biol. 2002;158:577-90 pubmed..These results suggest that these CAZ proteins are at least partly transported on the same vesicles during synapse formation. ..
- Yoshizawa M, Sone M, Matsuo N, Nagase T, Ohara O, Nabeshima Y, et al. Dynamic and coordinated expression profile of dbl-family guanine nucleotide exchange factors in the developing mouse brain. Gene Expr Patterns. 2003;3:375-81 pubmed..Our study reveals the dynamic and coordinated expression profiles of the Dbl-GEFs and provides a basic framework for understanding the function of GEFs in neural development. ..
- Kuramoto T, Kuwamura M, Serikawa T. Rat neurological mutations cerebellar vermis defect and hobble are caused by mutations in the netrin-1 receptor gene Unc5h3. Brain Res Mol Brain Res. 2004;122:103-8 pubmed..Rats homozygous for Unc5h3cvd or Unc5h3hob are the first mammalian Unc5h3 mutant model other than Unc5h3rcm/rcm mice, and will provide a useful tool for further understanding of the biological function of Unc5h3. ..
- Nishida A, Kobuke K, Kojima K, Ito J, Honjo T, Tashiro K. OC29 is preferentially expressed in the presumptive sensory organ region of the otocyst. Dev Dyn. 2004;231:766-74 pubmed..These results suggest that OC29 may have a role in the early development of the inner ear sensory organ, particularly in the formation of the cristae of the semicircular canals. ..
- Kimura I, Konishi M, Miyake A, Fujimoto M, Itoh N. Neudesin, a secreted factor, promotes neural cell proliferation and neuronal differentiation in mouse neural precursor cells. J Neurosci Res. 2006;83:1415-24 pubmed..The expression profile and activity indicate that neudesin plays unique roles in neural development. The present findings have revealed new potential roles of neudesin in neural cell proliferation and neuronal differentiation. ..
- Tanaka S, Ikeda K, Miyasaka H. Isolation of a new member of group 3 late embryogenesis abundant protein gene from a halotolerant green alga by a functional expression screening with cyanobacterial cells. FEMS Microbiol Lett. 2004;236:41-5 pubmed..The expression of cw80lea3 gene in the C. W80 cells was induced by salt- and cold-stresses, but not by abscisic acid treatment. ..
- Okano J, Sakai Y, Shiota K. Retinoic acid down-regulates Tbx1 expression and induces abnormal differentiation of tongue muscles in fetal mice. Dev Dyn. 2008;237:3059-70 pubmed publisher..Our study suggests that RA signaling may play an essential role in tongue muscle differentiation via the regulation of Tbx1. ..
- Hoshino M, Nakamura S, Mori K, Kawauchi T, Terao M, Nishimura Y, et al. Ptf1a, a bHLH transcriptional gene, defines GABAergic neuronal fates in cerebellum. Neuron. 2005;47:201-13 pubmed..Our results suggest that Ptf1a is involved in driving neural precursors to differentiate into GABAergic neurons in the cerebellum. ..
- Hoshino H, Uchida T, Otsuki T, Kawamoto S, Okubo K, Takeichi M, et al. Cornichon-like protein facilitates secretion of HB-EGF and regulates proper development of cranial nerves. Mol Biol Cell. 2007;18:1143-52 pubmed..This phenotype closely resembled that of ErbB4 knockout mouse embryos. Because HB-EGF was uniformly expressed in the embryonic hindbrain, CNIL seems to confine the site of HB-EGF action to r3 and r5 in concert with ErbB4. ..
- Yamauchi H, Miyakawa N, Miyake A, Itoh N. Fgf4 is required for left-right patterning of visceral organs in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2009;332:177-85 pubmed publisher..The present findings indicate that Fgf4 plays a unique role in the LR patterning of visceral organs in zebrafish. ..
- Sasaki Y, Iwai N, Tsuda T, Kimura O. Sonic hedgehog and bone morphogenetic protein 4 expressions in the hindgut region of murine embryos with anorectal malformations. J Pediatr Surg. 2004;39:170-3; discussion 170-3 pubmed..Therefore, these findings indicate that Shh and BMP4, which appear to play a crucial role in organogenesis of the hindgut, were disturbed in the cell signaling pathway between the epithelium and the mesenchyme layers. ..
- Toda H, Tsuji M, Nakano I, Kobuke K, Hayashi T, Kasahara H, et al. Stem cell-derived neural stem/progenitor cell supporting factor is an autocrine/paracrine survival factor for adult neural stem/progenitor cells. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:35491-500 pubmed..These data suggested an important role of SDNSF as an autocrine/paracrine factor in maintaining stem cell potential and lifelong neurogenesis in adult central nervous system. ..
- Hayashi N, Miyata S, Yamada M, Kamei K, Oohira A. Neuronal expression of the chondroitin sulfate proteoglycans receptor-type protein-tyrosine phosphatase beta and phosphacan. Neuroscience. 2005;131:331-48 pubmed
- Iwai Y, Hirota Y, Ozaki K, Okano H, Takeichi M, Uemura T. DN-cadherin is required for spatial arrangement of nerve terminals and ultrastructural organization of synapses. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2002;19:375-88 pubmed..These results suggest that the cadherin adhesion system is required for interaction between pre- and postsynaptic terminals and for generation of the mature synaptic structures. ..
- Bessho Y, Miyoshi G, Sakata R, Kageyama R. Hes7: a bHLH-type repressor gene regulated by Notch and expressed in the presomitic mesoderm. Genes Cells. 2001;6:175-85 pubmed
- Maekawa M, Yamamoto T, Tanoue T, Yuasa Y, Chisaka O, Nishida E. Requirement of the MAP kinase signaling pathways for mouse preimplantation development. Development. 2005;132:1773-83 pubmed..Thus, this study has successfully narrowed down candidate genes of interest, detailed analysis of which will probably lead to elucidation of the molecular mechanism of preimplantation development. ..
- Yamamoto N, Furuya K, Hanada K. Progressive development of the osteoblast phenotype during differentiation of osteoprogenitor cells derived from fetal rat calvaria: model for in vitro bone formation. Biol Pharm Bull. 2002;25:509-15 pubmed..This culture system provides us a suitable model for in vitro bone formation. ..
- Imai K, Takada N, Satoh N, Satou Y. (beta)-catenin mediates the specification of endoderm cells in ascidian embryos. Development. 2000;127:3009-20 pubmed..These results suggest that the accumulation of (beta)-catenin in the nuclei of endoderm progenitor cells is the first step in the process of ascidian endoderm specification...
- Noda T, Hamada M, Hamaguchi M, Fujie M, Satoh N. Early zygotic expression of transcription factors and signal molecules in fully dissociated embryonic cells of Ciona intestinalis: A microarray analysis. Dev Growth Differ. 2009;51:639-55 pubmed publisher..These results are discussed in relation to the grade of autonomous versus non-autonomous genetic cascades that are responsible for the specification of early Ciona embryonic cells...
- Tsuda H, Takebayashi K, Nakanishi S, Kageyama R. Structure and promoter analysis of Math3 gene, a mouse homolog of Drosophila proneural gene atonal. Neural-specific expression by dual promoter elements. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:6327-33 pubmed..These results indicate that Math3 promoter contains two essential regulatory regions, the proximal 193-base pair region, which confers efficient neural-specific expression, and a region further upstream, required for retinal expression. ..
- Hanaoka R, Dawid I, Kawahara A. Cloning and expression of zebrafish genes encoding the heme synthesis enzymes uroporphyrinogen III synthase (UROS) and protoporphyrinogen oxidase (PPO). DNA Seq. 2007;18:54-60 pubmed
- Ishizaki Y, Tsunoyama Y, Hatano K, Ando K, Kato K, Shinmyo A, et al. A nuclear-encoded sigma factor, Arabidopsis SIG6, recognizes sigma-70 type chloroplast promoters and regulates early chloroplast development in cotyledons. Plant J. 2005;42:133-44 pubmed..On the other hand, the mutant phenotype was restored in older seedlings. Arabidopsis probably contains another late general sigma factor, the promoter specificity of which widely overlaps with that of AtSIG6...
- Kobayashi D, Iijima N, Hagiwara H, Kamura K, Takeda H, Yokoyama T. Characterization of the medaka (Oryzias latipes) primary ciliary dyskinesia mutant, jaodori: Redundant and distinct roles of dynein axonemal intermediate chain 2 (dnai2) in motile cilia. Dev Biol. 2010;347:62-70 pubmed publisher..We also found the other dnai2 gene in the medaka genome. These two dnai2 genes function either redundantly or distinctly in tissues possessing motile cilia. ..
- Ohuchi H, Tomonari S, Itoh H, Mikawa T, Noji S. Identification of chick rax/rx genes with overlapping patterns of expression during early eye and brain development. Mech Dev. 1999;85:193-5 pubmed..cRax mRNA can be detected earlier than cRaxL prior to the formation of the notochord and its expression domain appears broader than that of cRaxL. ..
- Nakaune S, Yamada K, Kondo M, Kato T, Tabata S, Nishimura M, et al. A vacuolar processing enzyme, deltaVPE, is involved in seed coat formation at the early stage of seed development. Plant Cell. 2005;17:876-87 pubmed..Our results suggest that, at the early stage of seed development, deltaVPE is involved in cell death of limited cell layers, the purpose of which is to form a seed coat. ..
- Thao D, Seto H, Yamaguchi M. Drosophila Myc is required for normal DREF gene expression. Exp Cell Res. 2008;314:184-92 pubmed..Furthermore, dMyc over-expressing clones exhibited a high level of dDREF gene expression in wing and eye discs. These results taken together indicate that dMyc is indeed required for dDREF gene expression. ..
- Kimura I, Yoshioka M, Konishi M, Miyake A, Itoh N. Neudesin, a novel secreted protein with a unique primary structure and neurotrophic activity. J Neurosci Res. 2005;79:287-94 pubmed..The identification of neudesin, a novel secreted protein with a unique primary structure and neurotrophic activity, will provide new insights into the development and maintenance of neuron ..
- Yamada L, Kobayashi K, Satou Y, Satoh N. Microarray analysis of localization of maternal transcripts in eggs and early embryos of the ascidian, Ciona intestinalis. Dev Biol. 2005;284:536-50 pubmed..Therefore, we concluded that the posterior-most localization and mitochondria-like distribution appear to be major specialized patterns of maternal transcripts in early Ciona embryos...
- Tonoyama Y, Anzai D, Ikeda A, Kakuda S, Kinoshita M, Kawasaki T, et al. Essential role of beta-1,4-galactosyltransferase 2 during medaka (Oryzias latipes) gastrulation. Mech Dev. 2009;126:580-94 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that beta4GalT2 activity is cell-autonomously required in cells undergoing mediolateral cell intercalation, which drives extension movements during medaka gastrulation. ..
- Miyawaki T, Uemura A, Dezawa M, Yu R, Ide C, Nishikawa S, et al. Tlx, an orphan nuclear receptor, regulates cell numbers and astrocyte development in the developing retina. J Neurosci. 2004;24:8124-34 pubmed
- Okano J, Suzuki S, Shiota K. Regional heterogeneity in the developing palate: morphological and molecular evidence for normal and abnormal palatogenesis. Congenit Anom (Kyoto). 2006;46:49-54 pubmed..Based on recent studies, we discuss the issue of the regional heterogeneity in the fetal palate and propose a principle that divides the fetal palate into several regions from the morphological and molecular standpoint...
- Akiyama H, Stadler H, Martin J, Ishii T, Beachy P, Nakamura T, et al. Misexpression of Sox9 in mouse limb bud mesenchyme induces polydactyly and rescues hypodactyly mice. Matrix Biol. 2007;26:224-33 pubmed..These results provide evidence that Sox9 induces ectopic chondrogenesis in mesenchymal cells and strongly suggest that its expression may be regulated by Hox genes during limb bud development...
- Hotta Y, Sasaki S, Konishi M, Kinoshita H, Kuwahara K, Nakao K, et al. Fgf16 is required for cardiomyocyte proliferation in the mouse embryonic heart. Dev Dyn. 2008;237:2947-54 pubmed publisher..The embryonic heart phenotype is similar to that of the Fgf9 knockout heart, indicating Fgf9 and Fgf16 to synergistically act as growth factors for embryonic cardiomyocytes. ..
- Inoue C, Bae S, Takatsuka K, Inoue T, Bessho Y, Kageyama R. Math6, a bHLH gene expressed in the developing nervous system, regulates neuronal versus glial differentiation. Genes Cells. 2001;6:977-86 pubmed..These results show that cells which would normally differentiate into glia adopted the neuronal fate by mis-expression of Math6, indicating that Math6 promotes neuronal vs. glial fate determination in the nervous system. ..
- Sakata S, Yan Y, Satou Y, Momoi A, Ngo Hazelett P, Nozaki M, et al. Conserved function of caspase-8 in apoptosis during bony fish evolution. Gene. 2007;396:134-48 pubmed
- Tsuneyoshi N, Sumi T, Onda H, Nojima H, Nakatsuji N, Suemori H. PRDM14 suppresses expression of differentiation marker genes in human embryonic stem cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2008;367:899-905 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that PRDM14 is involved in the maintenance of the self-renewal of human ES cells by suppression of gene expression. ..
- Ohsawa R, Ohtsuka T, Kageyama R. Mash1 and Math3 are required for development of branchiomotor neurons and maintenance of neural progenitors. J Neurosci. 2005;25:5857-65 pubmed
- Oyama T, Shimura Y, Okada K. The Arabidopsis HY5 gene encodes a bZIP protein that regulates stimulus-induced development of root and hypocotyl. Genes Dev. 1997;11:2983-95 pubmed..Nuclear localization of the HY5 protein strongly suggests that the HY5 gene modulates the signal transduction pathways under the HY5-related development by controlling expression of genes downstream of these pathways. ..
- Kousaka K, Kiyonari H, Oshima N, Nagafuchi A, Shima Y, Chisaka O, et al. Slingshot-3 dephosphorylates ADF/cofilin but is dispensable for mouse development. Genesis. 2008;46:246-55 pubmed publisher..Unexpectedly, ssh-3 was not essential for viability, fertility, or development of epithelial tissues; and ssh-3 did not genetically modify the corneal disorder of the corn1/ADF/destrin mutant. ..
- Akiyama Oda Y, Hotta Y, Tsukita S, Oda H. Mechanism of glia-neuron cell-fate switch in the Drosophila thoracic neuroblast 6-4 lineage. Development. 2000;127:3513-22 pubmed..Furthermore, we showed that outside the NB6-4T lineage most glial cells appeared independently of Pros. ..
- Fukuda A, Kawaguchi Y, Furuyama K, Kodama S, Horiguchi M, Kuhara T, et al. Reduction of Ptf1a gene dosage causes pancreatic hypoplasia and diabetes in mice. Diabetes. 2008;57:2421-31 pubmed publisher..Some neonatal diabetes may be caused by mutation or single nucleotide polymorphisms in the Ptf1a gene that reduce gene expression levels. ..
- Moriwaki K, Tsukita S, Furuse M. Tight junctions containing claudin 4 and 6 are essential for blastocyst formation in preimplantation mouse embryos. Dev Biol. 2007;312:509-22 pubmed..These results clearly demonstrate that the barrier function of TJs in the TE is required for normal blastocyst formation. ..
- Kageyama R, Niwa Y, Shimojo H. Rhythmic gene expression in somite formation and neural development. Mol Cells. 2009;27:497-502 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results suggest that oscillatory expression with short periods (ultradian oscillation) plays an important role in many biological events...
- Hattori Y, Sugimura K, Uemura T. Selective expression of Knot/Collier, a transcriptional regulator of the EBF/Olf-1 family, endows the Drosophila sensory system with neuronal class-specific elaborated dendritic patterns. Genes Cells. 2007;12:1011-22 pubmed..Collectively, all of our results suggest that Kn exerts its cell-autonomous function to control the formation, and possibly the function, of class IV-like elaborated dendritic arbors. ..
- Aoi S, Shimotake T, Tsuda T, Deguchi E, Iwai N. Impaired expression of myogenic regulatory molecules in the pelvic floor muscles of murine embryos with anorectal malformations. J Pediatr Surg. 2005;40:805-9 pubmed..These results suggest that myogenic stem cells, available from bone marrow contents, may be used for postnatal muscle regeneration to reinforce the pelvic floor muscle function in children with ARM. ..
- Kassai Y, Munne P, Hotta Y, Penttilä E, Kavanagh K, Ohbayashi N, et al. Regulation of mammalian tooth cusp patterning by ectodin. Science. 2005;309:2067-70 pubmed..Unlike in normal teeth, excess BMP accelerates patterning in ectodin-deficient teeth. We propose that ectodin is critical for robust spatial delineation of enamel knots and cusps. ..
- Mizuseki K, Kishi M, Matsui M, Nakanishi S, Sasai Y. Xenopus Zic-related-1 and Sox-2, two factors induced by chordin, have distinct activities in the initiation of neural induction. Development. 1998;125:579-87 pubmed
- Ogura T, Tan A, Tsubota T, Nakakura T, Shiotsuki T. Identification and expression analysis of ras gene in silkworm, Bombyx mori. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e8030 pubmed publisher..Each of three Bombyx ras showed different expression patterns. We also showed membrane localization of their products. These results indicate that the three Bombyx Ras are functional and have different roles. ..
- Komai T, Iwanari H, Mochizuki Y, Hamakubo T, Shinkai Y. Expression of the mouse PR domain protein Prdm8 in the developing central nervous system. Gene Expr Patterns. 2009;9:503-14 pubmed publisher..These results show that Prdm8 expression is tightly regulated in a spatio-temporal manner during neural development and mainly restricted to postmitotic neurons, except in the spinal cord. ..
- Nagai N, Hosokawa M, Itohara S, Adachi E, Matsushita T, Hosokawa N, et al. Embryonic lethality of molecular chaperone hsp47 knockout mice is associated with defects in collagen biosynthesis. J Cell Biol. 2000;150:1499-506 pubmed..These results indicate for the first time that type I collagen is unable to form a rigid triple-helical structure without the assistance of molecular chaperone Hsp47, and that mice require Hsp47 for normal development. ..
- Miyoshi G, Bessho Y, Yamada S, Kageyama R. Identification of a novel basic helix-loop-helix gene, Heslike, and its role in GABAergic neurogenesis. J Neurosci. 2004;24:3672-82 pubmed..These results suggest that combinations of distinct bHLH factors promote formation of distinct neuronal subtypes, thereby increasing neuronal diversity. ..
- Yu R, Chiang M, Tanabe T, Kobayashi M, Yasuda K, Evans R, et al. The orphan nuclear receptor Tlx regulates Pax2 and is essential for vision. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2000;97:2621-5 pubmed..These studies show that Tlx is a key component of retinal development and vision and an upstream regulator of the Pax2 signaling cascade. ..
- Yoshida S, Ohbo K, Takakura A, Takebayashi H, Okada T, Abe K, et al. Sgn1, a basic helix-loop-helix transcription factor delineates the salivary gland duct cell lineage in mice. Dev Biol. 2001;240:517-30 pubmed..In addition, Sgn1 expression exhibits a reverse relationship with the development of male phenotypes, suggesting its role in gender dimorphism in the salivary glands. ..
- Ara T, Tokoyoda K, Okamoto R, Koni P, Nagasawa T. The role of CXCL12 in the organ-specific process of artery formation. Blood. 2005;105:3155-61 pubmed..Together, CXCL12 acts on arterial endothelial cells of SMA to up-regulate CXCR4 and mediate the connection between the larger artery and neighboring capillary plexus in an organ-specific manner. ..
- Ogasawara M, Wada H, Peters H, Satoh N. Developmental expression of Pax1/9 genes in urochordate and hemichordate gills: insight into function and evolution of the pharyngeal epithelium. Development. 1999;126:2539-50 pubmed..The Pax1/9 genes therefore might provide the first developmental genetic corroboration of hypotheses of organ-level homology that unifies hemichordates, urochordates and cephalochordates...
- Shoguchi E, Satoh N, Maruyama Y. Pattern of Brachyury gene expression in starfish embryos resembles that of hemichordate embryos but not of sea urchin embryos. Mech Dev. 1999;82:185-9 pubmed..Namely, ApBra is expressed in an archenteron invagination region and a stomodaeum invagination region. ..
- Nakamura K, Itoh K, Yaoi T, Fujiwara Y, Sugimoto T, Fushiki S. Murine neocortical histogenesis is perturbed by prenatal exposure to low doses of Bisphenol A. J Neurosci Res. 2006;84:1197-205 pubmed..5 in the BPA-treated group. These results suggested that BPA might disrupt normal neocortical development by accelerating neuronal differentiation/migration. ..
- Kaya H, Shibahara K, Taoka K, Iwabuchi M, Stillman B, Araki T. FASCIATA genes for chromatin assembly factor-1 in arabidopsis maintain the cellular organization of apical meristems. Cell. 2001;104:131-42 pubmed..We suggest that CAF-1 plays a critical role in the organization of SAM and RAM during postembryonic development by facilitating stable maintenance of gene expression states. ..
- Ito S, Kinoshita S, Shiraishi N, Nakagawa S, Sekine S, Fujimori T, et al. Molecular cloning and expression analyses of mouse betaklotho, which encodes a novel Klotho family protein. Mech Dev. 2000;98:115-9 pubmed..Despite the high structural similarity between betaKL and KL, their expression profiles were considerably different and betakl expression was not induced in kl-deficient mouse mutants. ..
- Miwa H, Miyake A, Kouta Y, Shimada A, Yamashita Y, Nakayama Y, et al. A novel neural-specific BMP antagonist, Brorin-like, of the Chordin family. FEBS Lett. 2009;583:3643-8 pubmed publisher..The inhibition of Brorin-like functions in zebrafish resulted in the impairment of neural development. Brorin-like potentially plays roles in neural development and functions. ..
- Mori K, Itoi M, Tsukamoto N, Amagai T. Foxn1 is essential for vascularization of the murine thymus anlage. Cell Immunol. 2010;260:66-9 pubmed publisher..The present results indicate that Foxn1 dependent epithelial development is essential for vascularization of the thymus anlagen. ..
- Ikeya M, Takada S. Wnt signaling from the dorsal neural tube is required for the formation of the medial dermomyotome. Development. 1998;125:4969-76 pubmed..These results indicate that Wnt-1 and Wnt-3a signalings actually regulate the formation of the medial compartment of the dermomyotome and the early part of myogenesis. ..
- Kubo F, Takeichi M, Nakagawa S. Wnt2b controls retinal cell differentiation at the ciliary marginal zone. Development. 2003;130:587-98 pubmed..These results suggest that Wnt2b functions to maintain undifferentiated progenitor cells in the ciliary marginal zone, and thus serves as a putative stem cell factor in the retina. ..
- Morikawa K, Shiina T, Murakami S, Toyoshima Y. Novel nuclear-encoded proteins interacting with a plastid sigma factor, Sig1, in Arabidopsis thaliana. FEBS Lett. 2002;514:300-4 pubmed..The expression of sibI was tissue specific, light dependent, and developmentally timed. We suggest the transcriptional regulation by sigma factor binding proteins to function in the plastids of higher plant. ..
- Nakatani J, Mizuseki K, Tsuda H, Nakanishi S, Sasai Y. Xenopus Xenf: an early endodermal nuclear factor that is regulated in a pathway distinct from Sox17 and Mix-related gene pathways. Mech Dev. 2000;91:81-9 pubmed..In turn, Xenf does not activate expression of Sox17, Mixer or Milk. Thus, Xenf is regulated by maternal vegetal positional information in a parallel manner to Sox17 and Mix-related gene pathways. ..
- Nakatani T, Mizuhara E, Minaki Y, Sakamoto Y, Ono Y. Helt, a novel basic-helix-loop-helix transcriptional repressor expressed in the developing central nervous system. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:16356-67 pubmed..These results suggest that Helt acts as a transcriptional repressor to regulate neuronal differentiation and/or identity. ..
- Rouhana L, Shibata N, Nishimura O, Agata K. Different requirements for conserved post-transcriptional regulators in planarian regeneration and stem cell maintenance. Dev Biol. 2010;341:429-43 pubmed publisher..We propose that planarian neoblasts maintain pluripotency by employing mechanisms of post-transcriptional regulation exhibited in germ cells and early development of most metazoans...
- Kodama Y, Hijikata M, Kageyama R, Shimotohno K, Chiba T. The role of notch signaling in the development of intrahepatic bile ducts. Gastroenterology. 2004;127:1775-86 pubmed..Our results suggest that Notch signaling has an important role in the differentiation of biliary epithelial cells and is essential for their tubular formation during IHBD development. ..
- Tamada Y, Nakamori K, Nakatani H, Matsuda K, Hata S, Furumoto T, et al. Temporary expression of the TAF10 gene and its requirement for normal development of Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Cell Physiol. 2007;48:134-46 pubmed..These results clearly demonstrate that TAF10 is a 'selective' TAF in plants, providing a new insight into the function of TAFs in plants. ..