Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on bombyx in Fukuoka, Japan
Locale: Fukuoka, Japan
- Kakuta Y, Usuda K, Nakashima T, Kimura M, Aso Y, Yamamoto K. Crystallographic survey of active sites of an unclassified glutathione transferase from Bombyx mori. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2011;1810:1355-60 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, the unique features observed in bmGSTu may shed light on mechanisms of insecticide resistance. ..
- Li Z, Cheng D, Mon H, Tatsuke T, Zhu L, Xu J, et al. Genome-wide identification of polycomb target genes reveals a functional association of Pho with Scm in Bombyx mori. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e34330 pubmed publisher..Collectively, we provide evidence of a functional link between BmPho and BmScm, and propose two Polycomb-related repression mechanisms requiring only BmPho associated with BmScm or a whole set of PcG complexes. ..
- Yamamoto K, Usuda K, Kakuta Y, Kimura M, Higashiura A, Nakagawa A, et al. Structural basis for catalytic activity of a silkworm Delta-class glutathione transferase. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2012;1820:1469-74 pubmed publisher..Kinetic analysis of bmGSTD mutants indicated that Ser11, Gln51, His52, Ser67, and Arg68 are important for enzyme function. These results provide structural insights into the catalysis of glutathione conjugation in B. mori by bmGSTD. ..
- Maeda T, Lee J, Miyagawa Y, Koga K, Kawaguchi Y, Kusakabe T. Cloning and characterization of a ribonuclease L inhibitor from the silkworm, Bombyx mori. DNA Seq. 2005;16:21-7 pubmed..Although no obvious effect of up-regulation of the BmRLI expression on RNAi was observed, its down-regulation slightly reduced RNAi efficiency...
- Yamamoto K, Suzuki M, Higashiura A, Nakagawa A. Three-dimensional structure of a Bombyx mori Omega-class glutathione transferase. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2013;438:588-93 pubmed publisher..Site-directed mutagenesis of bmGSTO mutants indicated that amino acid residues Leu62, Lys65, Lys77, Val78, Glu91 and Ser92 in the G-site contribute to catalytic activity. ..
- Yamamoto K, Wilson D. Identification, characterization, and crystal structure of an aldo-keto reductase (AKR2E4) from the silkworm Bombyx mori. Arch Biochem Biophys. 2013;538:156-63 pubmed publisher..This structure constitutes the first insect AKR structure determined. Bound NADPH is located at the center of the TIM- or (?/?)8-barrel, and residues involved in catalysis are conserved. ..
- Sugahara R, Mon H, Lee J, Kusakabe T. Monoubiquitination-dependent chromatin loading of FancD2 in silkworms, a species lacking the FA core complex. Gene. 2012;501:180-7 pubmed publisher..In addition, we demonstrated that depletion of BmFancD2, BmFancI or BmFancL had effects on cell proliferation in the presence of MMC. These results suggest that the FA pathway in B. mori works in the same manner as that in vertebrates. ..
- Zhu L, Masaki Y, Tatsuke T, Li Z, Mon H, Xu J, et al. A MC motif in silkworm Argonaute 1 is indispensible for translation repression. Insect Mol Biol. 2013;22:320-30 pubmed publisher..mori...
- Chieda Y, Iiyama K, Lee J, Kusakabe T, Yasunaga Aoki C, Shimizu S. Virulence of an exotoxin A-deficient strain of Pseudomonas aeruginosa toward the silkworm, Bombyx mori. Microb Pathog. 2011;51:407-14 pubmed publisher..77 × 10(7) cfu/ml. These results indicated that exotoxin A acts as a virulence factor in B. mori and that other virulence factor(s) are involved during the late stages of infection...
- Mon H, Lee J, Sato M, Kusakabe T. Identification and functional analysis of outer kinetochore genes in the holocentric insect Bombyx mori. Insect Biochem Mol Biol. 2017;86:1-8 pubmed publisher..In addition, our study suggests that a small-scale RNAi-based candidate screening is a useful approach to identify genes which may be highly divergent among different species. ..
- Patil A, Tatsuke T, Mon H, Lee J, Morokuma D, Hino M, et al. Characterization of Armitage and Yb containing granules and their relationship to nuage in ovary-derived cultured silkworm cell. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2017;490:134-140 pubmed publisher..Our results provide evidence that the BmArmi and BmYb coexist with BmVasa and play an important role in perinuclear nuage granules formation in ovary-derived BmN4 cell. ..
- Yamamoto K, Ichinose H, Aso Y, Banno Y, Kimura M, Nakashima T. Molecular characterization of an insecticide-induced novel glutathione transferase in silkworm. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2011;1810:420-6 pubmed publisher..Kinetic analysis of bmGSTu mutants indicated that Tyr7, Ser12 and Asn50 are involved in enzyme function. These results support the hypothesis that bmGSTu may play a role in insecticide resistance in Bombyx mori. ..
- Ota A, Kusakabe T, Sugimoto Y, Takahashi M, Nakajima Y, Kawaguchi Y, et al. Cloning and characterization of testis-specific tektin in Bombyx mori. Comp Biochem Physiol B Biochem Mol Biol. 2002;133:371-82 pubmed..The protein was immunologically detected exclusively in the fraction expected to contain the 9 + 2 flagellar axonemes of sperms. We infer that the BmTst protein is possibly involved in the spermatogenesis of B. mori...
- Wang Y, Zhang P, Fujii H, Banno Y, Yamamoto K, Aso Y. Proteomic studies of lipopolysaccharide-induced polypeptides in the silkworm, Bombyx mori. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2004;68:1821-3 pubmed..H2 and H3 were novel polypeptides. H4 was estimated to be attacin antibacterial polypeptide with high coverage of sequence. The amounts of all the induced polypeptides decreased at 48 h after the injection. ..
- Chieda Y, Iiyama K, Yasunaga Aoki C, Lee J, Kusakabe T, Shimizu S. Pathogenicity of gacA mutant of Pseudomonas aeruginosa PA01 in the silkworm, Bombyx mori. FEMS Microbiol Lett. 2005;244:181-6 pubmed publisher..However, no significant difference was observed between C1 and C1 (pgacA) with respect to the killing of B. mori larvae...
- Yamamoto K, Nagaoka S, Banno Y, Aso Y. Biochemical properties of an omega-class glutathione S-transferase of the silkmoth, Bombyx mori. Comp Biochem Physiol C Toxicol Pharmacol. 2009;149:461-7 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that bmGSTO could be involved in the increase in level of insecticide resistance for lepidopteran insects. ..
- Hong S, Kusakabe T, Lee J, Tatsuke T, Kawaguchi Y, Kang M, et al. Structure and expression analysis of the cecropin-E gene from the silkworm, Bombyx mori. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2008;72:1992-8 pubmed publisher..Expression of BmCec-E after immune challenge was observed strongly in excretory organs, such as hindgut and malphigian, slightly in fat body, skin, and midgut...
- Hirashima A, Yamaji H, Yoshizawa T, Kuwano E, Eto M. Effect of tyramine and stress on sex-pheromone production in the pre- and post-mating silkworm moth, Bombyx mori. J Insect Physiol. 2007;53:1242-9 pubmed
- Yamamoto K, Fujii H, Aso Y, Banno Y, Koga K. Expression and characterization of a sigma-class glutathione S-transferase of the fall webworm, Hyphantria cunea. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2007;71:553-60 pubmed..We also found that as compared to B. mori Sigma-class GST, rhcGST had a higher affinity for fenitrothion, an organophosphorus insecticide. ..
- Yamamoto K, Yakiyama M, Fujii H, Kusakabe T, Koga K, Aso Y, et al. Expression of prophenoloxidase mRNA during silkworm hemocyte development. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2000;64:1197-202 pubmed publisher..A sexual difference was also observed when the content of prophenoloxidase protein in the hemolymph (including hemocytes) was measured by an enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay...
- Sakamoto S, Pongkitwitoon B, Nakamura S, Maenaka K, Tanaka H, Morimoto S. Efficient silkworm expression of single-chain variable fragment antibody against ginsenoside Re using Bombyx mori nucleopolyhedrovirus bacmid DNA system and its application in enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay for quality control of total ginsenoside. J Biochem. 2010;148:335-40 pubmed publisher..05-10 microg/ml. These results clearly suggested that the silkworm expression system is quite useful for the expression of functional scFv that frequently required time- and cost-consuming re-folding when it expressed in E. coli...
- Yamamoto K, Zhang P, Miake F, Kashige N, Aso Y, Banno Y, et al. Cloning, expression and characterization of theta-class glutathione S-transferase from the silkworm, Bombyx mori. Comp Biochem Physiol B Biochem Mol Biol. 2005;141:340-6 pubmed..Incubation for 30 min at temperatures below 50 degrees C also affected the activity insignificantly. The Michaelis constant for 1-chloro-2,4-dinitrobenzene was 0.48 mM. ..
- Yamamoto K, Suzuki M, Higashiura A, Aritake K, Urade Y, Uodome N, et al. New insights into the catalytic mechanism of Bombyx mori prostaglandin E synthase gained from structure-function analysis. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2013;440:762-7 pubmed publisher..These results are, to our knowledge, the first to reveal the presence of an electron-sharing network in bmPGES. ..
- Yamamoto K, Aso Y, Yamada N. Catalytic function of an ?-class glutathione S-transferase of the silkworm. Insect Mol Biol. 2013;22:523-31 pubmed publisher..These residues were replaced with alanine by site-directed mutagenesis and subsequent kinetic analysis of bmGSTE mutants indicated that His53, Val55, and Ser68 were important for enzyme function. ..
- Yamamoto K, Banno Y, Fujii H, Miake F, Kashige N, Aso Y. Catalase from the silkworm, Bombyx mori: gene sequence, distribution, and overexpression. Insect Biochem Mol Biol. 2005;35:277-83 pubmed..The Michaelis constant for hydrogen peroxide was evaluated to be 28 mM at pH 6.5 and 30 degrees C. rCAT was suggested to be a member of the typical catalase family. ..
- Zhu L, Tatsuke T, Mon H, Li Z, Xu J, Lee J, et al. Characterization of Tudor-sn-containing granules in the silkworm, Bombyx mori. Insect Biochem Mol Biol. 2013;43:664-74 pubmed publisher..Protein domain deletion analysis of Tudor-sn demonstrated that SN2 is the key domain required for the aggregation of Tudor-sn in SGs. ..
- Zhang H, Kiuchi T, Wang L, Kawamoto M, Suzuki Y, Sugano S, et al. Bm-muted, orthologous to mouse muted and encoding a subunit of the BLOC-1 complex, is responsible for the otm translucent mutation of the silkworm Bombyx mori. Gene. 2017;629:92-100 pubmed publisher..This mutation is likely to cause deficiencies in urate granule formation in epidermal cells that result in translucent larval skin. ..
- Iiyama K, Chieda Y, Lee J, Kusakabe T, Yasunaga Aoki C, Shimizu S. Effect of superoxide dismutase gene inactivation on virulence of Pseudomonas aeruginosa PAO1 toward the silkworm, Bombyx mori. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2007;73:1569-75 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, the SODs are required for full virulence of P. aeruginosa against B. mori and Fe-SOD is more important than Mn-SOD in the infection process...
- Futahashi R, Sato J, Meng Y, Okamoto S, Daimon T, Yamamoto K, et al. yellow and ebony are the responsible genes for the larval color mutants of the silkworm Bombyx mori. Genetics. 2008;180:1995-2005 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that Yellow promotes melanization, whereas Ebony inhibits melanization in Lepidoptera and that melanin-synthesis enzymes play a critical role in the lepidopteran larval color pattern. ..
- Hong S, Noh S, Kim K, Mitsunobu H, Mon H, Lee J, et al. Molecular characterization, localization, and distribution of innexins in the silkworm, Bombyx mori. Mol Biotechnol. 2009;43:52-8 pubmed publisher..This finding of innexins distribution in silkworm would provide an essential basis for future studies of the functions and interactions of innexins. ..
- Li Z, Zhu L, Xu J, Mon H, Lee J, Kusakabe T. Amino Acid deprivation-induced expression of asparagine synthetase regulates the growth and survival of cultured silkworm cells. Arch Insect Biochem Physiol. 2013;83:57-68 pubmed publisher..Altogether, we concluded that the up-regulated expression of BmASNS would be able to protect cells from impairment induced by amino acid deprivation, which in turn facilitates cell growth and survival. ..
- Ji M, Lee J, Mon H, Iiyama K, Tatsuke T, Morokuma D, et al. Lipidation of BmAtg8 is required for autophagic degradation of p62 bodies containing ubiquitinated proteins in the silkworm, Bombyx mori. Insect Biochem Mol Biol. 2017;89:86-96 pubmed publisher..Our results should be useful in future studies of the autophagic mechanism in Lepidopteran insects. ..
- Patil A, Tatsuke T, Mon H, Lee J, Morokuma D, Hino M, et al. Molecular characterization of mitochondrial Zucchini and its relation to nuage-piRNA pathway components in Bombyx mori ovary-derived BmN4 cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2017;493:971-978 pubmed publisher..Our data provides vital information on mitochondrial BmZuc and its relationship to "nuage" in ovary-derived BmN4 cell. ..
- Fujii T, Abe H, Kawamoto M, Katsuma S, Banno Y, Shimada T. Albino (al) is a tetrahydrobiopterin (BH4)-deficient mutant of the silkworm Bombyx mori. Insect Biochem Mol Biol. 2013;43:594-600 pubmed publisher..We found that lem/lem, al²/al² larvae produced by lem (lem/lem) females were viable during the first instar stage, suggesting that al²/al² embryo could synthesis BH4 by using maternally transmitted BmPTS. ..
- Yamamoto K, Zhang P, Banno Y, Fujii H, Miake F, Kashige N, et al. Superoxide dismutase from the silkworm, Bombyx mori: sequence, distribution, and overexpression. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2005;69:507-14 pubmed publisher..bmSOD at 4 degrees C retained almost all of its original activity after incubation at pH 4-11 for 24 h. Incubation (pH 7) for 30 min at temperatures below 40 degrees C also affected activity insignificantly...
- Lee J, Kusakabe T, Kawaguchi Y, Miyagawa Y, Takahashi M, Mon H, et al. Molecular cloning and characterization of the translationally controlled tumor protein gene in Bombyx mori. Comp Biochem Physiol B Biochem Mol Biol. 2004;139:35-43 pubmed..In addition to this, there were at least two enhancer-like elements and several repressor elements. ..
- Hossain T, Teshiba S, Shigeoka Y, Fujisawa T, Inoko Y, Sakano D, et al. Structural properties of silkworm small heat-shock proteins: sHSP19.9 and sHSP20.8. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2010;74:1556-63 pubmed..sHSP20.8 and sHSP19.9 with dithiothreitol were stable against lyophilization, autoclaving at 120 degrees C, and boiling. ..