Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on drosophila melanogaster in Nagoya, Aichi, Japan
Locale: Nagoya, Aichi, Japan
Topic: drosophila melanogaster
- Goshima G. Identification of a TPX2-like microtubule-associated protein in Drosophila. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e28120 pubmed publisher..Thus, while this conserved spindle protein is present in Drosophila, other mechanisms may largely compensate for its spindle assembly and chromosome segregation functions. ..
- Nishida Y, Hata M, Ayaki T, Ryo H, Yamagata M, Shimizu K, et al. Proliferation of both somatic and germ cells is affected in the Drosophila mutants of raf proto-oncogene. EMBO J. 1988;7:775-81 pubmed..Maternal effects on embryogenesis indicated that Draf-1 is also required in early larval development. ..
- Masumoto M, Ohde T, Shiomi K, Yaginuma T, Niimi T. A Baculovirus immediate-early gene, ie1, promoter drives efficient expression of a transgene in both Drosophila melanogaster and Bombyx mori. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e49323 pubmed publisher..Therefore, we suggest that the ie1 promoter can be used as an efficient expression driver in a diverse range of insect species...
- Kasahara K, Goto H, Izawa I, Kiyono T, Watanabe N, Elowe S, et al. PI 3-kinase-dependent phosphorylation of Plk1-Ser99 promotes association with 14-3-3? and is required for metaphase-anaphase transition. Nat Commun. 2013;4:1882 pubmed publisher..This novel Plk1 activation pathway controls proper progression from metaphase to anaphase. ..
- Kitaguchi K, Hamajima R, Yamada H, Kobayashi M, Ikeda M. Cloning and functional characterization of the Lymantria dispar initiator caspase dronc. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2013;436:331-7 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these findings suggest that the intrinsic properties of Dronc proteinsare responsible, at least in part, for the differing sensitivity of Ld652Y and BM-N to apoptosis induction upon NPV infection. ..
- Matsuura A, Ito M, Sakaidani Y, Kondo T, Murakami K, Furukawa K, et al. O-linked N-acetylglucosamine is present on the extracellular domain of notch receptors. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:35486-95 pubmed publisher..Thus, the finding of O-GlcNAc modification in extracellular environments predicts a distinct glycosylation process that might be associated with a novel regulatory mechanism for Notch receptor activity. ..
- Kwon E, Seto H, Hirose F, Ohshima N, Takahashi Y, Nishida Y, et al. Transcription control of a gene for Drosophila transcription factor, DREF by DRE and cis-elements conserved between Drosophila melanogaster and virilis. Gene. 2003;309:101-16 pubmed
- Oba Y, Sato M, Ojika M, Inouye S. Enzymatic and genetic characterization of firefly luciferase and Drosophila CG6178 as a fatty acyl-CoA synthetase. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2005;69:819-28 pubmed..These results suggest that insects have a novel type of fatty acyl-CoA synthetase. ..
- Yagi Y, Nishida Y, Ip Y. Functional analysis of Toll-related genes in Drosophila. Dev Growth Differ. 2010;52:771-83 pubmed publisher..Overall our results suggest that some of the Toll-related proteins, such as 18W, Toll-7 and Toll-8, may have redundant functions in regulating developmental processes. ..
- Yokoi K, Koyama H, Ito W, Minakuchi C, Tanaka T, Miura K. Involvement of NF-?B transcription factors in antimicrobial peptide gene induction in the red flour beetle, Tribolium castaneum. Dev Comp Immunol. 2012;38:342-51 pubmed publisher..Finally, potential ?B motifs were searched in the regulatory regions of AMP genes, and relevance to respective NF-?B transcription factors was discussed...
- Kohno K, Sokabe T, Tominaga M, Kadowaki T. Honey bee thermal/chemical sensor, AmHsTRPA, reveals neofunctionalization and loss of transient receptor potential channel genes. J Neurosci. 2010;30:12219-29 pubmed publisher..Thus, this is an example of neofunctionalization of the duplicated ion channel gene followed by the loss of the functionally equivalent ancient gene...
- Uehara R, Nozawa R, Tomioka A, Petry S, Vale R, Obuse C, et al. The augmin complex plays a critical role in spindle microtubule generation for mitotic progression and cytokinesis in human cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:6998-7003 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that MT generation mediated by augmin and gamma-TuRC is critical for chromosome segregation and cytokinesis in human cells. ..
- Beaven R, Bastos R, Spanos C, RomÃ© P, Cullen C, Rappsilber J, et al. 14-3-3 regulation of Ncd reveals a new mechanism for targeting proteins to the spindle in oocytes. J Cell Biol. 2017;216:3029-3039 pubmed publisher..Therefore, 14-3-3 translates a spatial cue provided by Aurora B to target Ncd selectively to the spindle within the large volume of oocytes. ..
- Oba Y, Ojika M, Inouye S. Characterization of CG6178 gene product with high sequence similarity to firefly luciferase in Drosophila melanogaster. Gene. 2004;329:137-45 pubmed..Further, phylogenic analyses strongly suggest that the firefly luciferase gene may have evolved from a fatty acyl-CoA synthetase gene as a common ancestral gene. ..
- Takahashi Y, Yamaguchi M, Hirose F, Cotterill S, Kobayashi J, Miyajima S, et al. DNA replication-related elements cooperate to enhance promoter activity of the drosophila DNA polymerase alpha 73-kDa subunit gene. J Biol Chem. 1996;271:14541-7 pubmed..The results indicate that the three DREF-binding sites cooperate to enhance promoter activity of the DNA polymerase alpha 73-kDa subunit gene. ..
- Hirose F, Yamaguchi M, Nishida Y, Masutani M, Miyazawa H, Hanaoka F, et al. Structure and expression during development of Drosophila melanogaster gene for DNA polymerase alpha. Nucleic Acids Res. 1991;19:4991-8 pubmed..As the half life of the mRNA for DNA polymerase alpha in cultured Drosophila Kc cells was 15 min, expression of the DNA polymerase alpha gene is probably strictly regulated at the step of transcription. ..
- Adachi Yamada T, Nakamura M, Irie K, Tomoyasu Y, Sano Y, Mori E, et al. p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase can be involved in transforming growth factor beta superfamily signal transduction in Drosophila wing morphogenesis. Mol Cell Biol. 1999;19:2322-9 pubmed..These results demonstrate that p38, in addition to its role as a transducer of emergency stress signaling, may function to modulate Dpp signaling. ..
- Miyazu M, Tanimura T, Sokabe M. Molecular cloning and characterization of a putative cyclic nucleotide-gated channel from Drosophila melanogaster. Insect Mol Biol. 2000;9:283-92 pubmed..These results suggest a possible role of the putative CNGL channel in the processing of visual and olfactory information in the nervous system of Drosophila. ..
- Yamaguchi M, Yoshida H, Hirose F, Inoue Y, Hayashi Y, Yamagishi M, et al. Ectopic expression of BEAF32A in the Drosophila eye imaginal disc inhibits differentiation of photoreceptor cells and induces apoptosis. Chromosoma. 2001;110:313-21 pubmed..The transgenic flies established in this study should be useful to identify targets of BEAF32A and its positive or negative regulators in Drosophila. ..
- Tagawa H, Miura I, Suzuki R, Suzuki H, Hosokawa Y, Seto M. Molecular cytogenetic analysis of the breakpoint region at 6q21-22 in T-cell lymphoma/leukemia cell lines. Genes Chromosomes Cancer. 2002;34:175-85 pubmed..We conclude that TCBA1 is a possible target gene for T-cell lineage-specific chromosome aberrations at 6q21...
- Inoue Y, do Carmo Avides M, Shiraki M, Deak P, Yamaguchi M, Nishimoto Y, et al. Orbit, a novel microtubule-associated protein essential for mitosis in Drosophila melanogaster. J Cell Biol. 2000;149:153-66 pubmed
- Goshima G, Mayer M, Zhang N, Stuurman N, Vale R. Augmin: a protein complex required for centrosome-independent microtubule generation within the spindle. J Cell Biol. 2008;181:421-9 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that an important mitotic function for gamma-tubulin may lie within the spindle, where augmin and gamma-tubulin function cooperatively to amplify the number of microtubules. ..
- Ohno K, Hirose F, Sakaguchi K, Nishida Y, Matsukage A. Transcriptional regulation of the Drosophila CycA gene by the DNA replication-related element (DRE) and DRE binding factor (DREF). Nucleic Acids Res. 1996;24:3942-6 pubmed..The results indicate that the Drosophila CycA gene is under the control of a DRE/DREF system, as are DNA replication-related genes. ..
- Hirose F, Yamaguchi M, Kuroda K, Omori A, Hachiya T, Ikeda M, et al. Isolation and characterization of cDNA for DREF, a promoter-activating factor for Drosophila DNA replication-related genes. J Biol Chem. 1996;271:3930-7 pubmed
- Sakaidani Y, Nomura T, Matsuura A, Ito M, Suzuki E, Murakami K, et al. O-linked-N-acetylglucosamine on extracellular protein domains mediates epithelial cell-matrix interactions. Nat Commun. 2011;2:583 pubmed publisher..Thus, O-GlcNAcylation of secreted and membrane glycoproteins is a novel mediator of cell-cell or cell-matrix interactions at the cell surface. ..
- Sakaidani Y, Ichiyanagi N, Saito C, Nomura T, Ito M, Nishio Y, et al. O-linked-N-acetylglucosamine modification of mammalian Notch receptors by an atypical O-GlcNAc transferase Eogt1. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2012;419:14-9 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that Eogt1 encodes EGF domain O-GlcNAc transferase and that O-GlcNAcylation reaction in the secretory pathway is a fundamental biochemical process conserved through evolution. ..
- Tsuda L, Inoue Y, Yoo M, Mizuno M, Hata M, Lim Y, et al. A protein kinase similar to MAP kinase activator acts downstream of the raf kinase in Drosophila. Cell. 1993;72:407-14 pubmed..Our genetic results demonstrate the connection between raf and the highly conserved protein kinase cascade involving MAP kinase in vivo. ..
- Hirose F, Ohshima N, Kwon E, Yoshida H, Yamaguchi M. Drosophila Mi-2 negatively regulates dDREF by inhibiting its DNA-binding activity. Mol Cell Biol. 2002;22:5182-93 pubmed..These lines of evidence define a novel function of dMi-2 in the negative regulation of dDREF by its DNA-binding activity. Finally, we postulated that dDREF and dMi-2 may demonstrate reciprocal regulation of their functions. ..
- Higuchi N, Kohno K, Kadowaki T. Specific retention of the protostome-specific PsGEF may parallel with the evolution of mushroom bodies in insect and lophotrochozoan brains. BMC Biol. 2009;7:21 pubmed publisher..PsGEF is therefore one of genes associated with the diversity of metazoan nervous systems. ..
- Yamaguchi M, Kuroda K, Hirose F, Matsukage A. Distribution of DNA polymerase alpha during nuclear division cycles in Drosophila melanogaster embryo. Cell Struct Funct. 1992;17:105-12 pubmed
- Hata M, Inoue Y, Yoo M, Nishida Y. Multiple functions of raf proto-oncogene during development from analysis of a temperature-sensitive mutation of Drosophila. Int J Dev Biol. 1994;38:329-35 pubmed
- Li W, Moriwaki T, Tani T, Watanabe T, Kaibuchi K, Goshima G. Reconstitution of dynamic microtubules with Drosophila XMAP215, EB1, and Sentin. J Cell Biol. 2012;199:849-62 pubmed publisher..We propose that MT dynamics are promoted by the independent as well as the cooperative action of XMAP215(msps) polymerase and the EB1-Sentin duo. ..
- Kawai K, Furukawa H, Hirono I. Genotoxic activity in vivo of the naturally occurring glucoside, cycasin, in the Drosophila wing spot test. Mutat Res. 1995;346:145-9 pubmed..Consequently, the Drosophila wing spot test would be useful for mutagenicity screening of other naturally occurring glucosides...
- Yamaguchi M, Nishida Y, Moriuchi T, Hirose F, Hui C, Suzuki Y, et al. Drosophila proliferating cell nuclear antigen (cyclin) gene: structure, expression during development, and specific binding of homeodomain proteins to its 5'-flanking region. Mol Cell Biol. 1990;10:872-9 pubmed..These results suggest that the expression of the PCNA gene is under the control of genes coding for homeodomain proteins. ..