Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on circadian rhythm in Nagoya, Aichi, Japan
Locale: Nagoya, Aichi, Japan
Topic: circadian rhythm
- Yoshimura T. Thyroid hormone and seasonal regulation of reproduction. Front Neuroendocrinol. 2013;34:157-66 pubmed publisher..Here, I review the current understanding of the hypothalamic mechanisms controlling seasonal reproduction in mammals and birds. ..
- Kondo T, Ishiura M. The circadian clock of cyanobacteria. Bioessays. 2000;22:10-5 pubmed..BioEssays 22:10-15, 2000. ..
- Kiyohara Y, Tagao S, Tamanini F, Morita A, Sugisawa Y, Yasuda M, et al. The BMAL1 C terminus regulates the circadian transcription feedback loop. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:10074-9 pubmed..Taken together, these results suggest that the C-terminal region of BMAL1 is involved in determining the balance between circadian transcriptional activation and suppression. ..
- Ishida K, Yamashino T, Mizuno T. Expression of the cytokinin-induced type-A response regulator gene ARR9 is regulated by the circadian clock in Arabidopsis thaliana. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2008;72:3025-9 pubmed..Hence, the result of this study provided us with a new insight into the complex molecular mechanisms underlying both the cytokinin signaling and circadian rhythm. ..
- Onai K, Ishiura M. PHYTOCLOCK 1 encoding a novel GARP protein essential for the Arabidopsis circadian clock. Genes Cells. 2005;10:963-72 pubmed publisher..Therefore, the PCL1 gene is the clock oscillator gene essential to the generation of clock oscillation in the higher plant...
- Watanabe T, Suzuki T, Ishikawa A, Yokota Y, Ueda H, Yamada R, et al. Genetic and molecular analysis of wild-derived arrhythmic mice. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e4301 pubmed publisher..Our strategy using wild-derived variant mice may provide a novel opportunity to evaluate circadian and its related disorders in human that arise from the interaction between multiple variant genes...
- Yamajuku D, Okubo S, Haruma T, Inagaki T, Okuda Y, Kojima T, et al. Regular feeding plays an important role in cholesterol homeostasis through the liver circadian clock. Circ Res. 2009;105:545-8 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrated that not only the amount and quality of food but also the timing of meals has crucial health implications. ..
- Yamashino T, Matsushika A, Fujimori T, Sato S, Kato T, Tabata S, et al. A Link between circadian-controlled bHLH factors and the APRR1/TOC1 quintet in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Cell Physiol. 2003;44:619-29 pubmed..Taken together, here we propose the novel view that these bHLH factors (PIF4 and PIL6) might play roles, in concert with APRR1/TOC1, in the integration of light-signals to control both circadian and photomorphogenic processes. ..
- Zavalaga C, Dell Omo G, Becciu P, Yoda K. Patterns of GPS tracks suggest nocturnal foraging by incubating Peruvian pelicans (Pelecanus thagus). PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e19966 pubmed publisher..The foraging success of pelicans at night may be enhanced by seizing prey close to the sea surface using a sit-and-wait strategy. ..
- Okada R, Kondo S, Satbhai S, Yamaguchi N, Tsukuda M, Aoki S. Functional characterization of CCA1/LHY homolog genes, PpCCA1a and PpCCA1b, in the moss Physcomitrella patens. Plant J. 2009;60:551-63 pubmed publisher..Together, our results illustrate similarities as well as divergence of the clock machineries between P. patens and A. thaliana, two distantly placed species in land plant phylogeny...
- Ueoka Nakanishi H, Yamashino T, Ishida K, Kamioka M, Nakamichi N, Mizuno T. Molecular mechanisms of circadian rhythm in Lotus japonicus and Arabidopsis thaliana are sufficiently compatible to regulate heterologous core clock genes robustly. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2012;76:2332-4 pubmed..thaliana core clock genes CCA1 and PRR5 in heterologous L. japonicus cells and found that the molecular mechanism of circadian rhythm in L. japonicus is compatible with that of A. thaliana. ..
- Nishii K, Yamanaka I, Yasuda M, Kiyohara Y, Kitayama Y, Kondo T, et al. Rhythmic post-transcriptional regulation of the circadian clock protein mPER2 in mammalian cells: a real-time analysis. Neurosci Lett. 2006;401:44-8 pubmed..This suggests that a post-transcriptional/translational mechanism itself is capable of generating the circadian mPER2 accumulation cycle, and thus this type of regulation may function in the circadian clock system in mammals. ..
- Nakamichi N, Kita M, Niinuma K, Ito S, Yamashino T, Mizoguchi T, et al. Arabidopsis clock-associated pseudo-response regulators PRR9, PRR7 and PRR5 coordinately and positively regulate flowering time through the canonical CONSTANS-dependent photoperiodic pathway. Plant Cell Physiol. 2007;48:822-32 pubmed
- Sato E, Nakamichi N, Yamashino T, Mizuno T. Aberrant expression of the Arabidopsis circadian-regulated APRR5 gene belonging to the APRR1/TOC1 quintet results in early flowering and hypersensitiveness to light in early photomorphogenesis. Plant Cell Physiol. 2002;43:1374-85 pubmed
- Taniguchi Y, Takai N, Katayama M, Kondo T, Oyama T. Three major output pathways from the KaiABC-based oscillator cooperate to generate robust circadian kaiBC expression in cyanobacteria. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:3263-8 pubmed publisher..Based on these observations, we propose a model in which temporal information from the KaiABC-based circadian oscillator is transmitted to gene expression through three separate output pathways. ..
- Yambe Y, Arima H, Kakiya S, Murase T, Oiso Y. Diurnal changes in arginine vasopressin gene transcription in the rat suprachiasmatic nucleus. Brain Res Mol Brain Res. 2002;104:132-6 pubmed..These data suggest that both dynamic changes in AVP gene transcription and rapid turnover of mRNA contribute to the diurnal variation in AVP mRNA levels in the SCN. ..
- Iwase R, Imada K, Hayashi F, Uzumaki T, Morishita M, Onai K, et al. Functionally important substructures of circadian clock protein KaiB in a unique tetramer complex. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:43141-9 pubmed..These data suggest that the positively charged cleft and flanking negatively charged ridges in KaiB are essential for the biological function of KaiB in the circadian molecular machinery in cyanobacteria. ..
- Miwa K, Serikawa M, Suzuki S, Kondo T, Oyama T. Conserved expression profiles of circadian clock-related genes in two Lemna species showing long-day and short-day photoperiodic flowering responses. Plant Cell Physiol. 2006;47:601-12 pubmed..However, divergence of gene numbers and expression profiles for LHY/CCA1 homologs were found between Lemna, rice and Arabidopsis, suggesting that some modification of clock-related components occurred through their evolution. ..
- Ito S, Nakamichi N, Kiba T, Yamashino T, Mizuno T. Rhythmic and light-inducible appearance of clock-associated pseudo-response regulator protein PRR9 through programmed degradation in the dark in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Cell Physiol. 2007;48:1644-51 pubmed..Our work further suggests that the presence of PRR9 polypeptides is controlled through proteasome-mediated programmed degradation in the dark. ..
- Nakamichi N, Kiba T, Kamioka M, Suzuki T, Yamashino T, Higashiyama T, et al. Transcriptional repressor PRR5 directly regulates clock-output pathways. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012;109:17123-8 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results illustrate a genetic network in which PRR5, PRR7, and PRR9 directly regulate expression timing of key transcription factors to coordinate physiological processes with daily cycles. ..
- Hayashi F, Iwase R, Uzumaki T, Ishiura M. Hexamerization by the N-terminal domain and intersubunit phosphorylation by the C-terminal domain of cyanobacterial circadian clock protein KaiC. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2006;348:864-72 pubmed..We propose that the KaiC hexamer consists of a rigid ring structure formed by six N-terminal domains with hexamerization activity and a flexible structure formed by six C-terminal domains with intersubunit phosphorylation activity. ..
- Komoto S, Kondo H, Fukuta O, Togari A. Comparison of ?-adrenergic and glucocorticoid signaling on clock gene and osteoblast-related gene expressions in human osteoblast. Chronobiol Int. 2012;29:66-74 pubmed publisher..On the other hand, dexamethasone induced oscillation of hCol1a1 and hALP, but not hOC. Isoprenaline up-regulated hCol1a1 expression, but dexamethasone down-regulated hCol1a1 and hALP expression in the first phase. ..
- Nakamichi N, Kita M, Ito S, Yamashino T, Mizuno T. PSEUDO-RESPONSE REGULATORS, PRR9, PRR7 and PRR5, together play essential roles close to the circadian clock of Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Cell Physiol. 2005;46:686-98 pubmed
- Isobe Y, Hida H, Nishino H. Circadian rhythm of metabolic oscillation in suprachiasmatic nucleus depends on the mitochondrial oxidation state, reflected by cytochrome C oxidase and lactate dehydrogenase. J Neurosci Res. 2011;89:929-35 pubmed publisher..The results indicate that the glycolysis energy pathway in the SCN, which exhits higher metabolic activity during the day than at night, might be involved in the generation of circadian rhythm. ..
- Naito E, Watanabe T, Tei H, Yoshimura T, Ebihara S. Reorganization of the suprachiasmatic nucleus coding for day length. J Biol Rhythms. 2008;23:140-9 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that LP conditions induce phase changes in the rhythms in multiple regions in the rostral half of the SCN; this leads to different circadian waveforms in the entire SCN, coding for day length. ..
- Kawamura M, Ito S, Nakamichi N, Yamashino T, Mizuno T. The function of the clock-associated transcriptional regulator CCA1 (CIRCADIAN CLOCK-ASSOCIATED 1) in Arabidopsis thaliana. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2008;72:1307-16 pubmed
- Isobe Y, Hida H, Nishino H. Circadian rhythm of enolase in suprachiasmatic nucleus depends on mitochondrial function. J Neurosci Res. 2011;89:936-44 pubmed publisher..These mRNA rhythms ran free except for that of Rev-erb? mRNA. The results indicate that, in the glycolysis-related energy pathway, enolase might be involved in higher metabolic activity during the day than at night, at least in part. ..
- Ikegami K, Iigo M, Yoshimura T. Circadian clock gene Per2 is not necessary for the photoperiodic response in mice. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e58482 pubmed publisher..These results suggested that the Per2 clock gene is not necessary for the photoperiodic response in mice. ..
- Nishiwaki T, Kondo T. Circadian autodephosphorylation of cyanobacterial clock protein KaiC occurs via formation of ATP as intermediate. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:18030-5 pubmed publisher..On the basis of these findings, we can now dissect the dynamics of the KaiC phosphorylation cycle relative to ATPase activity. ..
- Murakami Kojima M, Nakamichi N, Yamashino T, Mizuno T. The APRR3 component of the clock-associated APRR1/TOC1 quintet is phosphorylated by a novel protein kinase belonging to the WNK family, the gene for which is also transcribed rhythmically in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Cell Physiol. 2002;43:675-83 pubmed..thaliana, providing a molecular link between the putative clock component, APRR3, and WNK1, a novel protein kinase that might be implicated as a signal transducer. ..
- Taniguchi Y, Nishikawa T, Kondo T, Oyama T. Overexpression of lalA, a paralog of labA, is capable of affecting both circadian gene expression and cell growth in the cyanobacterium Synechococcus elongatus PCC 7942. FEBS Lett. 2012;586:753-9 pubmed publisher..These results imply that lalA is capable of affecting circadian gene expression and cell growth. ..
- Kunihiro A, Yamashino T, Nakamichi N, Niwa Y, Nakanishi H, Mizuno T. Phytochrome-interacting factor 4 and 5 (PIF4 and PIF5) activate the homeobox ATHB2 and auxin-inducible IAA29 genes in the coincidence mechanism underlying photoperiodic control of plant growth of Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Cell Physiol. 2011;52:1315-29 pubmed publisher..Taken together, we propose that an external coincidence model involving the clock-controlled PIF4/PIF5-ATHB2 pathway is crucial for the diurnal and photoperiodic control of plant growth in A. thaliana...
- Ichikawa K, Sugita M, Imaizumi T, Wada M, Aoki S. Differential expression on a daily basis of plastid sigma factor genes from the moss Physcomitrella patens. Regulatory interactions among PpSig5, the circadian clock, and blue light signaling mediated by cryptochromes. Plant Physiol. 2004;136:4285-98 pubmed
- Murakami M, Ashikari M, Miura K, Yamashino T, Mizuno T. The evolutionarily conserved OsPRR quintet: rice pseudo-response regulators implicated in circadian rhythm. Plant Cell Physiol. 2003;44:1229-36 pubmed..thaliana. These and other results of this study suggested that the OsPRR quintet, including the ortholog of APRR1/TOC1, might play important roles within, or close to, the circadian clock of rice. ..
- Isobe Y, Nishino H. Signal transmission from the suprachiasmatic nucleus to the pineal gland via the paraventricular nucleus: analysed from arg-vasopressin peptide, rPer2 mRNA and AVP mRNA changes and pineal AA-NAT mRNA after the melatonin injection during light and dar. Brain Res. 2004;1013:204-11 pubmed..These results might suggest that the different responses to melatonin in the pineal gland during the light and dark periods was originated in the changes of Per2 in the PVN via SCN. ..
- Murai A, Furuse M, Kitaguchi K, Kusumoto K, Nakanishi Y, Kobayashi M, et al. Characterization of critical factors influencing gene expression of two types of fatty acid-binding proteins (L-FABP and Lb-FABP) in the liver of birds. Comp Biochem Physiol A Mol Integr Physiol. 2009;154:216-23 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that L-FABP and Lb-FABP play different roles in metabolic process during the postprandial state. ..
- Matsushika A, Kawamura M, Nakamura Y, Kato T, Murakami M, Yamashino T, et al. Characterization of circadian-associated pseudo-response regulators: II. The function of PRR5 and its molecular dissection in Arabidopsis thaliana. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2007;71:535-44 pubmed..Considering these and other results, we discuss the structure and function of PRR5 in the context of current views of the circadian clock in higher plants. ..
- Nakamichi N, Kusano M, Fukushima A, Kita M, Ito S, Yamashino T, et al. Transcript profiling of an Arabidopsis PSEUDO RESPONSE REGULATOR arrhythmic triple mutant reveals a role for the circadian clock in cold stress response. Plant Cell Physiol. 2009;50:447-62 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that PRR9, PRR7 and PRR5 are involved in a mechanism that anticipates diurnal cold stress and which initiates a stress response by mediating cyclic expression of stress response genes, including DREB1/CBF. ..
- Niwa Y, Matsuo T, Onai K, Kato D, Tachikawa M, Ishiura M. Phase-resetting mechanism of the circadian clock in Chlamydomonas reinhardtii. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013;110:13666-71 pubmed publisher..reinhardtii. Our data provide not only a basis for understanding the molecular mechanisms of light-induced phase-resetting in C. reinhardtii, but also insights into the phase-resetting mechanisms of circadian clocks in plants. ..
- Ichikawa K, Shimizu A, Okada R, Satbhai S, Aoki S. The plastid sigma factor SIG5 is involved in the diurnal regulation of the chloroplast gene psbD in the moss Physcomitrella patens. FEBS Lett. 2008;582:405-9 pubmed publisher..Moreover, diurnally regulated changes of psbD transcription showed lowered amplitude in DeltaSig5 than in WT. We concluded that the moss SIG5 mediates multiple layers of signals to intricately regulate psbD transcription...
- Niwa Y, Ito S, Nakamichi N, Mizoguchi T, Niinuma K, Yamashino T, et al. Genetic linkages of the circadian clock-associated genes, TOC1, CCA1 and LHY, in the photoperiodic control of flowering time in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Cell Physiol. 2007;48:925-37 pubmed..In the context of the current clock model, these results will be discussed in connection with the previous finding that the same clock might open an exit for the early photomorphogenic output pathway during the night-time. ..
- Ito S, Nakamichi N, Nakamura Y, Niwa Y, Kato T, Murakami M, et al. Genetic linkages between circadian clock-associated components and phytochrome-dependent red light signal transduction in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Cell Physiol. 2007;48:971-83 pubmed
- Makino S, Matsushika A, Kojima M, Yamashino T, Mizuno T. The APRR1/TOC1 quintet implicated in circadian rhythms of Arabidopsis thaliana: I. Characterization with APRR1-overexpressing plants. Plant Cell Physiol. 2002;43:58-69 pubmed..These results are discussed in relation to the current idea that APRR1 (TOC1) plays a role within, or close to, the Arabidopsis central oscillator. ..
- Nomoto Y, Nomoto Y, Kubozono S, Miyachi M, Yamashino T, Nakamichi N, et al. A circadian clock- and PIF4-mediated double coincidence mechanism is implicated in the thermosensitive photoperiodic control of plant architectures in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Cell Physiol. 2012;53:1965-73 pubmed publisher
- Nomoto Y, Nomoto Y, Kubozono S, Yamashino T, Nakamichi N, Mizuno T. Circadian clock- and PIF4-controlled plant growth: a coincidence mechanism directly integrates a hormone signaling network into the photoperiodic control of plant architectures in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Cell Physiol. 2012;53:1950-64 pubmed publisher..The results of this study suggest that the circadian clock orchestrates a variety of hormone signaling pathways to regulate the photoperiod-dependent morphogenesis in A. thaliana. ..
- Niwa Y, Yamashino T, Mizuno T. The circadian clock regulates the photoperiodic response of hypocotyl elongation through a coincidence mechanism in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Cell Physiol. 2009;50:838-54 pubmed publisher..Both of these clock-mediated coincidence mechanisms may coordinately confer ecological fitness to plants growing in natural habitats with varied photoperiods...
- Kumagai T, Ito S, Nakamichi N, Niwa Y, Murakami M, Yamashino T, et al. The common function of a novel subfamily of B-Box zinc finger proteins with reference to circadian-associated events in Arabidopsis thaliana. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2008;72:1539-49 pubmed
- Yamamoto Y, Sato E, Shimizu T, Nakamich N, Sato S, Kato T, et al. Comparative genetic studies on the APRR5 and APRR7 genes belonging to the APRR1/TOC1 quintet implicated in circadian rhythm, control of flowering time, and early photomorphogenesis. Plant Cell Physiol. 2003;44:1119-30 pubmed
- Kitayama Y, Nishiwaki Ohkawa T, Sugisawa Y, Kondo T. KaiC intersubunit communication facilitates robustness of circadian rhythms in cyanobacteria. Nat Commun. 2013;4:2897 pubmed publisher..Our findings indicate that intra-hexameric interactions play an important role in sustaining robust circadian rhythmicity. ..
- Kakitsuba N, Mekjavic I. Diurnal variation in the core interthreshold zone and its relation to cutaneous sensation threshold zone. J Physiol Anthropol. 2017;36:27 pubmed publisher..The results suggested that the CIZ may be not dependent on time of a day but Tc-init per se and may not be associated with the CSZ. ..