Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on risk factors in Florence, Tuscany, Italy
Locale: Florence, Tuscany, Italy
Topic: risk factors
Publications172 found, 100 shown here
- Rastrelli G, Corona G, Fisher A, Silverii A, Mannucci E, Maggi M. Two unconventional risk factors for major adverse cardiovascular events in subjects with sexual dysfunction: low education and reported partner's hypoactive sexual desire in comparison with conventional risk factors. J Sex Med. 2012;9:3227-38 pubmed publisher..At variance with low education, Progetto Cuore is not accurate enough to predict MACE in subjects with partner's HSD, suggesting that the latter effect is not mediated by conventional risk factors included in the algorithm. ..
- Perez Cornago A, Travis R, Appleby P, Tsilidis K, Tjønneland A, Olsen A, et al. Fruit and vegetable intake and prostate cancer risk in the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition (EPIC). Int J Cancer. 2017;141:287-297 pubmed publisher..The main finding of this prospective study was that a higher fruit intake was associated with a small reduction in prostate cancer risk. Whether this association is causal remains unclear. ..
- Levantesi G, Marfisi R, Mozaffarian D, Franzosi M, Maggioni A, Nicolosi G, et al. Wine consumption and risk of cardiovascular events after myocardial infarction: results from the GISSI-Prevenzione trial. Int J Cardiol. 2013;163:282-287 pubmed publisher..0003). Among patients with established heart disease, moderate consumption of wine seems to be associated with lower incidence of CVE and total mortality as compared with non drinkers. ..
- Pagnini I, Zannin M, Vittadello F, Sari M, Simonini G, Cimaz R, et al. Clinical features and outcome of Cogan syndrome. J Pediatr. 2012;160:303-307.e1 pubmed publisher..7%; sensorineural hearing loss, 13.0%; vestibular dysfunction, 4.3%; ocular complications, 13.0%; cardiac valve damage, 17.4%). Audiovestibular and ocular involvement have a major impact on prognosis in children with Cogan syndrome. ..
- Fabbri G, Maggioni A. A review of the epidemiological profile of patients with atrial fibrillation and heart failure. Expert Rev Cardiovasc Ther. 2012;10:1133-40 pubmed publisher..The prognostic role of AF in HF remains controversial, while the impact of new AF has been shown to be associated with an adverse outcome. ..
- Cecchi F, Olivotto I, Gistri R, Lorenzoni R, Chiriatti G, Camici P. Coronary microvascular dysfunction and prognosis in hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. N Engl J Med. 2003;349:1027-35 pubmed..Severe microvascular dysfunction is often present in patients with mild or no symptoms and may precede clinical deterioration by years. ..
- Pantoni L, Sarti C, Pescini F, Bianchi S, Bartolini L, Nencini P, et al. Thrombophilic risk factors and unusual clinical features in three Italian CADASIL patients. Eur J Neurol. 2004;11:782-7 pubmed..We conclude that a diagnosis of CADASIL should not be disregarded in patients with vascular risk factors and presenting with symptoms not immediately referable to subcortical damage at ages more advanced than commonly reported. ..
- Bartoletti R, Cai T, Mondaini N, Melone F, Travaglini F, Carini M, et al. Epidemiology and risk factors in urolithiasis. Urol Int. 2007;79 Suppl 1:3-7 pubmed..Similarly, the presence of residual fragments after extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy has induced a radical change in the management of small calculi through the use of mini-invasive surgical techniques. ..
- Vecchio S, Chechi T, Giuliani G, Lilli A, Consoli L, Spaziani G, et al. Use of Impella Recover 2.5 left ventricular assist device in patients with cardiogenic shock or undergoing high-risk percutaneous coronary intervention procedures: experience of a high-volume center. Minerva Cardioangiol. 2008;56:391-9 pubmed..5 in patients with cardiogenic shock is feasible and safe, however it maybe insufficient in reversing an advanced cardiogenic shock which, probably, has to be treated with more powerful left ventricular assist devices. ..
- Bardini G, Giorda C, Pontiroli A, Le Grazie C, Rotella C. Ezetimibe + simvastatin versus doubling the dose of simvastatin in high cardiovascular risk diabetics: a multicenter, randomized trial (the LEAD study). Cardiovasc Diabetol. 2010;9:20 pubmed publisher..In addition, the combination therapy may provide an alternative treatment for patients who require further LDL-C reduction than they can achieve with simvastatin 20 mg alone. ..
- Seghieri C, Policardo L, Francesconi P, Seghieri G. Gender differences in the relationship between diabetes process of care indicators and cardiovascular outcomes. Eur J Public Health. 2016;26:219-24 pubmed publisher..In this cohort, over a 6-year follow-up, GCI adherence was found to be a significant predictor of lower cardiovascular risk, with some evident gender differences. ..
- ObÃ³n Santacana M, Lujan Barroso L, Travis R, Freisling H, Ferrari P, Severi G, et al. Acrylamide and Glycidamide Hemoglobin Adducts and Epithelial Ovarian Cancer: A Nested Case-Control Study in Nonsmoking Postmenopausal Women from the EPIC Cohort. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2016;25:127-34 pubmed publisher..It is unlikely that dietary acrylamide exposure increases ovarian cancer risk; however, additional studies with larger sample size should be performed to exclude any possible association with EOC risk. ..
- Galli L, Sabatino G, Zappa M, Barbante E, Chiappini E, de Martino M. Reduced frequency of wheezing respiratory illness in infants with perinatal human immunodeficiency virus-type 1 infection: a model for immunologic and inflammatory mechanisms of airway obstruction?. Pediatr Allergy Immunol. 2003;14:42-9 pubmed..97; 95% CL: 4.87-20.40; p < 0.001). Understanding the reason why HIV-1 protects against wheezing respiratory illness could shed light on the immunologic and inflammatory mechanisms of airway obstruction. ..
- Grazzini G, Castiglione G, Ciabattoni C, Franceschini F, Giorgi D, Gozzi S, et al. Colorectal cancer screening programme by faecal occult blood test in Tuscany: first round results. Eur J Cancer Prev. 2004;13:19-26 pubmed..Further efforts are necessary to implement screening extension and to improve data collection. ..
- Bartoletti R, Cai T, Gacci M, Giubilei G, Viggiani F, Santelli G, et al. Intravesical gemcitabine therapy for superficial transitional cell carcinoma: results of a Phase II prospective multicenter study. Urology. 2005;66:726-31 pubmed..The treatment schedule proposed resulted in high patient compliance, and the results can be compared with the results of studies using other intravesical treatments. ..
- Miligi L, Costantini A, Benvenuti A, Kriebel D, Bolejack V, Tumino R, et al. Occupational exposure to solvents and the risk of lymphomas. Epidemiology. 2006;17:552-61 pubmed..7; 1.2-5.7). This study suggests that aromatic and chlorinated hydrocarbons are a risk factor for non-Hodgkin lymphomas, and provides preliminary evidence for an association between solvents and Hodgkin disease. ..
- Marcucci R, Paniccia R, Antonucci E, Gori A, Fedi S, Giglioli C, et al. Usefulness of aspirin resistance after percutaneous coronary intervention for acute myocardial infarction in predicting one-year major adverse coronary events. Am J Cardiol. 2006;98:1156-9 pubmed..9, 95% confidence interval 1.1 to 9.2, p <0.05). In conclusion, our data demonstrate that aspirin resistance after PCI is a significant and independent predictor of MACEs in patients with AMI undergoing primary PCI. ..
- Vannucchi A, Antonioli E, Guglielmelli P, Rambaldi A, Barosi G, Marchioli R, et al. Clinical profile of homozygous JAK2 617V>F mutation in patients with polycythemia vera or essential thrombocythemia. Blood. 2007;110:840-6 pubmed..We conclude that JAK2 617V>F homozygosity identifies PV or ET patients with a more symptomatic myeloproliferative disorder and is associated with a higher risk of major cardiovascular events in patients with ET. ..
- Lombardi E, Simoni M, La Grutta S, Viegi G, Bisanti L, Chellini E, et al. Effects of pet exposure in the first year of life on respiratory and allergic symptoms in 7-yr-old children. The SIDRIA-2 study. Pediatr Allergy Immunol. 2010;21:268-76 pubmed publisher..Cat, but not dog, exposure in the first year of life is an independent risk factor for current wheezing, current asthma and current rhinoconjunctivitis at the age of 7. ..
- Masieri L, Lanciotti M, Nesi G, Lanzi F, Tosi N, Minervini A, et al. Prognostic role of perineural invasion in 239 consecutive patients with pathologically organ-confined prostate cancer. Urol Int. 2010;85:396-400 pubmed publisher..In our series, patients with pathological T2 stages and PNI were found to present a higher pT2 stage and Gleason score, even though our early biochemical-free outcome was not significantly higher than in patients without PNI. ..
- Confortini M, Carozzi F, Zappa M, Ventura L, Iossa A, Cariaggi P, et al. Human papillomavirus infection and risk factors in a cohort of Tuscan women aged 18-24: results at recruitment. BMC Infect Dis. 2010;10:157 pubmed publisher..The 3-year follow-up of this cohort may provide a better understanding of the processes of acquisition, clearance and persistence of infection and the correlated risk factors. ..
- Rastrelli G, Corona G, Monami M, Melani C, Balzi D, Sforza A, et al. Poor response to alprostadil ICI test is associated with arteriogenic erectile dysfunction and higher risk of major adverse cardiovascular events. J Sex Med. 2011;8:3433-45 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate that poor ICI test response is associated with several metabolic disturbances and higher incidence of MACE. We strongly recommend performing ICI test with alprostadil in all ED subjects. ..
- Dani C, Corsini I, Poggi C. Risk factors for intubation-surfactant-extubation (INSURE) failure and multiple INSURE strategy in preterm infants. Early Hum Dev. 2012;88 Suppl 1:S3-4 pubmed publisher..Moreover, we demonstrated that the INSURE treatment can be safely repeated with the aim to avoid MV, since the respiratory outcome did not differ between infants treated with single or multiple INSURE procedures. ..
- Grattagliano I, Ubaldi E, Napoli L, Marulli C, Nebiacolombo C, Cottone C, et al. Utility of noninvasive methods for the characterization of nonalcoholic liver steatosis in the family practice. The "VARES" Italian multicenter study. Ann Hepatol. 2013;12:70-7 pubmed..Asymptomatic subjects at risk also should be screened for NAFLD. Fibromax is a promising noninvasive diagnostic tool in family medicine for identifying patients at risk for NAFLD who require targeted follow-up. ..
- McCabe M, Sharlip I, Atalla E, Balon R, Fisher A, Laumann E, et al. Definitions of Sexual Dysfunctions in Women and Men: A Consensus Statement From the Fourth International Consultation on Sexual Medicine 2015. J Sex Med. 2016;13:135-43 pubmed publisher..As more research and clinical studies are conducted, there likely will be modifications of at least some definitions. ..
- Valente S, Lazzeri C, Salvadori C, Chiostri M, Giglioli C, Poli S, et al. Effectiveness and safety of routine primary angioplasty in patients aged > or =85 years with acute myocardial infarction. Circ J. 2008;72:67-70 pubmed
- Gori A, Marcucci R, Paniccia R, Giusti B, Fedi S, Antonucci E, et al. Thrombotic events in high risk patients are predicted by evaluating different pathways of platelet function. Thromb Haemost. 2008;100:1136-45 pubmed..This prospective study documents that the evaluation of platelet reactivity addressed to identify patients at risk of thrombotic events on dual antiplatelet treatment has to be carried out by methods able to explore different pathways. ..
- Corona G, Monami M, Boddi V, Cameron Smith M, Lotti F, De Vita G, et al. Male sexuality and cardiovascular risk. A cohort study in patients with erectile dysfunction. J Sex Med. 2010;7:1918-27 pubmed publisher..The investigation of male sexuality, and in particular PBF, and sexual desire, could provide insights not only into present cardiovascular status but also into prospective risk. ..
- Falchetti A, Alberto F, Marini F, Francesca M, Masi L, Laura M, et al. Genetic aspects of the Paget's disease of bone: concerns on the introduction of DNA-based tests in the clinical practice. Advantages and disadvantages of its application. Eur J Clin Invest. 2010;40:655-67 pubmed..In fact, a growing number of preventive care options are now available to affected patients and families and the process of systematically assessing risk is becoming increasingly important for both patients and physicians. ..
- Cellai E, Magrini S, Masala G, Alterini R, Costantini A, Rigacci L, et al. The risk of second malignant tumors and its consequences for the overall survival of Hodgkin's disease patients and for the choice of their treatment at presentation: analysis of a series of 1524 cases consecutively treated at the Florence University. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2001;49:1327-37 pubmed..The effect of SMT on the survival of the entire series, although not negligible, does not seem to justify by itself substantial alterations in the current standards for the treatment of HD at presentation. ..
- Carli P, de Giorgi V, Palli D, Maurichi A, Mulas P, Orlandi C, et al. Dermatologist detection and skin self-examination are associated with thinner melanomas: results from a survey of the Italian Multidisciplinary Group on Melanoma. Arch Dermatol. 2003;139:607-12 pubmed
- Pantoni L, Bertini E, Lamassa M, Pracucci G, Inzitari D. Clinical features, risk factors, and prognosis in transient global amnesia: a follow-up study. Eur J Neurol. 2005;12:350-6 pubmed..These results have therapeutic implications and reinforce the hypothesis that TGA is a benign disorder...
- Vultaggio A, Matucci A, Parronchi P, Rossi O, Palandri F, Romagnani S, et al. Safety and tolerability of infliximab therapy: suggestions and criticisms based on wide clinical experience. Int J Immunopathol Pharmacol. 2008;21:367-74 pubmed
- Gorini G, Giovannetti L, Masala G, Chellini E, Martini A, Mallone S, et al. Gastric cancer mortality trends in Tuscany, Italy, 1971-2004. Tumori. 2008;94:787-92 pubmed..High-risk areas also showed higher Helicobacter pylori seroprevalence. Aim of this paper is to study gastric cancer mortality trends in high and low-risk areas, during the period 1971-2004, using age-period-cohort models...
- Corona G, Monami M, Boddi V, Melani C, Federico N, Balzi D, et al. Is obesity a further cardiovascular risk factor in patients with erectile dysfunction?. J Sex Med. 2010;7:2538-46 pubmed publisher..The interaction with concomitant risk factors, such as obesity, should be taken into account when assessing the predictive value of penile blood flow for cardiovascular diseases. ..
- Paniccia R, Antonucci E, Maggini N, Miranda M, Gori A, Marcucci R, et al. Comparison of methods for monitoring residual platelet reactivity after clopidogrel by point-of-care tests on whole blood in high-risk patients. Thromb Haemost. 2010;104:287-92 pubmed publisher..MEA might represent a reliable method and valid alternative in comparison with other available platelet function assays. It might help to guide antiplatelet therapy and thus improve clinical outcome of high-risk CAD patients. ..
- Palumbo V, Baldasseroni S, Nencini P, Pracucci G, Arba F, Piccardi B, et al. The coexistence of heart failure predicts short term mortality, but not disability, in patients with acute ischemic stroke treated with thrombolysis: the Florence area Registry. Eur J Intern Med. 2012;23:552-7 pubmed publisher..Clinical diagnosis of HF predicts mortality, but not disability, in acute stroke patients undergoing thrombolysis. Unlike anamnestic record of HF, clinical evaluation of cardiac function, with estimation of LVEF, predicts mortality. ..
- Warrender Sparkes M, Spelman T, Izquierdo G, Trojano M, Lugaresi A, Grand Maison F, et al. The effect of oral immunomodulatory therapy on treatment uptake and persistence in multiple sclerosis. Mult Scler. 2016;22:520-32 pubmed publisher..Those who switched to fingolimod were more likely to do so for convenience. Persistence was improved on fingolimod compared to other medications. ..
- Maseroli E, Fanni E, Fambrini M, Ragghianti B, Limoncin E, Mannucci E, et al. Bringing the body of the iceberg to the surface: the Female Sexual Dysfunction Index-6 (FSDI-6) in the screening of female sexual dysfunction. J Endocrinol Invest. 2016;39:401-9 pubmed publisher..We propose that FSDI-6 should be performed by health care providers in non-specialist settings to detect potential FSD, which otherwise could remain under-diagnosed. ..
- Troisi N, Ercolini L, Chisci E, Frosini P, Pigozzi C, Barbanti E, et al. Use of Tapered Balloons to Recanalize Occluded Below-the-Knee Arteries in Diabetic Patients with Critical Limb Ischemia. Ann Vasc Surg. 2016;31:105-10 pubmed publisher..Outcomes are poorer in patients with major tissue loss and with a history of coronary artery disease. Further experience with larger groups is needed to validate these outcomes. ..
- KoÄ‡ M, Kostrubiec M, Elikowski W, Meneveau N, Lankeit M, Grifoni S, et al. Outcome of patients with right heart thrombi: the Right Heart Thrombi European Registry. Eur Respir J. 2016;47:869-75 pubmed publisher..However, patients with RiHT and pulmonary embolism resulting in RVD seem to have worse prognosis than propensity score-matched controls. ..
- Rastrelli G, Corona G, Mannucci E, Maggi M. Vascular and Chronological Age in Men With Erectile Dysfunction: A Longitudinal Study. J Sex Med. 2016;13:200-8 pubmed publisher..The prediction of MACE by ?age is independent from other risk factors including penile color Doppler ultrasound parameters, so it can be used as a costless and safe surrogate marker of penile vascular damage. ..
- Ceppi M, Munnia A, Cellai F, Bruzzone M, Peluso M. Linking the generation of DNA adducts to lung cancer. Toxicology. 2017;390:160-166 pubmed publisher..I.) 1.10-4.73, in overall smokers in respect to non-smokers. The present work provides strengthening of the hypothesis that bronchial adducts are not simply relate to exposure, but are a cause of chemical-induced lung cancer. ..
- Fatini C, Sofi F, Sticchi E, Gensini F, Gori A, Fedi S, et al. Influence of endothelial nitric oxide synthase gene polymorphisms (G894T, 4a4b, T-786C) and hyperhomocysteinemia on the predisposition to acute coronary syndromes. Am Heart J. 2004;147:516-21 pubmed..Moreover, our data provide the evidence that the -786CC pattern modulates the susceptibility to ACS in 4a4a homozygotes and in hyperhomocysteinemic patients. ..
- Cesari F, Marcucci R, Gori A, Caporale R, Fanelli A, Casola G, et al. Reticulated platelets predict cardiovascular death in acute coronary syndrome patients. Insights from the AMI-Florence 2 Study. Thromb Haemost. 2013;109:846-53 pubmed publisher..Future prospective studies to evaluate the role of RP in determining cardiovascular events are warranted. ..
- Castaman G. Risk of thrombosis in cancer and the role of supportive care (transfusion, catheters, and growth factors). Thromb Res. 2016;140 Suppl 1:S89-92 pubmed publisher..Tailored anti-thrombotic treatment should be undertaken according to the presence of risk of bleeding (e.g., thrombocytopenia). Thrombophylaxis should be considered in patients with a high-risk prothrombotic profile. ..
- Ferrucci L, Furberg C, Penninx B, DiBari M, Williamson J, Guralnik J, et al. Treatment of isolated systolic hypertension is most effective in older patients with high-risk profile. Circulation. 2001;104:1923-6 pubmed..These patients are prime candidates for antihypertensive treatment. ..
- Mello G, Parretti E, Cioni R, Lucchetti R, Carignani L, Martini E, et al. The 75-gram glucose load in pregnancy: relation between glucose levels and anthropometric characteristics of infants born to women with normal glucose metabolism. Diabetes Care. 2003;26:1206-10 pubmed..Our results would therefore suggest the possibility of using a 75-g, 1-h oral glucose load as a single test for the diagnosis of GDM, adopting a threshold value of 150 mg/dl at 16-20 weeks and 160 mg/dl at 26-30 weeks. ..
- Biggeri A, Pasetto R, Belli S, Bruno C, Di Maria G, Mastrantonio M, et al. Mortality from chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and pleural mesothelioma in an area contaminated by natural fiber (fluoro-edenite). Scand J Work Environ Health. 2004;30:249-52 pubmed
- Di Tommaso M, Seravalli V, Cordisco A, Consorti G, Mecacci F, Rizzello F. Comparison of five classification systems for interpreting electronic fetal monitoring in predicting neonatal status at birth. J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med. 2013;26:487-90 pubmed publisher..It also showed the best trade-off between sensitivity and specificity and the lowest rate of traces considered "intermediate." ..
- Bandinelli F, Terenzi R, Giovannini L, Milla M, Genise S, Bagnoli S, et al. Occult radiological sacroiliac abnormalities in patients with inflammatory bowel disease who do not present signs or symptoms of axial spondylitis. Clin Exp Rheumatol. 2014;32:949-52 pubmed..Clinical follow-up might be useful in these patients for a diagnosis of axial spondyloarthritis onset. ..
- Wade K, Lee D, McBeth J, Ravindrarajah R, Gielen E, Pye S, et al. Chronic widespread pain is associated with worsening frailty in European men. Age Ageing. 2016;45:268-74 pubmed publisher..the presence of CWP is associated with an increased risk of frailty in older European men. ..
- Molina Montes E, Sanchez M, Buckland G, Bueno de Mesquita H, Weiderpass E, Amiano P, et al. Mediterranean diet and risk of pancreatic cancer in the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition cohort. Br J Cancer. 2017;116:811-820 pubmed publisher..A high adherence to the MD is not associated with pancreatic cancer risk in the EPIC study. ..
- Day F, Thompson D, Helgason H, Chasman D, Finucane H, Sulem P, et al. Genomic analyses identify hundreds of variants associated with age at menarche and support a role for puberty timing in cancer risk. Nat Genet. 2017;49:834-841 pubmed publisher..In aggregate, our findings highlight the complexity of the genetic regulation of puberty timing and support causal links with cancer susceptibility. ..
- Seghieri G, Policardo L, Profili F, Francesconi P, Anichini R, Del Prato S. Hospital incidental diagnosis of diabetes: A population study. J Diabetes Complications. 2016;30:457-61 pubmed publisher..People with IPUD have similar two-year-mortality risk compared with KDM individuals. ..
- Masotti L, Panigada G, Landini G, Pieralli F, Corradi F, Lenti S, et al. Simplified PESI score and sex difference in prognosis of acute pulmonary embolism: a brief report from a real life study. J Thromb Thrombolysis. 2016;41:606-12 pubmed publisher..Females seems to be at lower risk of all cause in-hospital mortality for sPESI score â‰¤2 but at higher risk of bleeding, irrespective from sPESI scoring. Predictive ability of sPESI score seems better in females. ..
- Inzitari D, Simoni M, Pracucci G, Poggesi A, Basile A, Chabriat H, et al. Risk of rapid global functional decline in elderly patients with severe cerebral age-related white matter changes: the LADIS study. Arch Intern Med. 2007;167:81-8 pubmed..The LADIS (LeukoAraiosis and DISability) Study primarily aims to assess ARWMCs as a determinant of global functional decline in the elderly population...
- Rossi R, Calzavara Pinton P, Giannetti A, Peserico A, Santucci M, Vena G, et al. Italian guidelines and therapeutic algorithm for actinic keratoses. G Ital Dermatol Venereol. 2009;144:713-23 pubmed..The guidelines indicated by the authors have also been based on practical evaluations and their own clinical experience. The present conclusions may be modified by new findings in the field of oncologic research. ..
- Moscarelli L, Zanazzi M, Mancini G, Rossi E, Caroti L, Rosso G, et al. Keratinocyte cancer prevention with ACE inhibitors, angiotensin receptor blockers or their combination in renal transplant recipients. Clin Nephrol. 2010;73:439-45 pubmed..Any chemoprotective effect of these agents may reflect inhibition of the growth factor activity of angiotensin II. Use of ACEi or ARBs, when this is possible, should be considered in RT patients with multiple risk factors. ..
- Coccia M, Rizzello F, Mariani G, Bulletti C, Palagiano A, Scarselli G. Ovarian surgery for bilateral endometriomas influences age at menopause. Hum Reprod. 2011;26:3000-7 pubmed publisher..Ovarian parenchyma loss at the time of surgery seems related to cyst diameter. In the case of unilateral ovarian endometrioma, the contralateral intact ovary might adequately compensate. ..
- Mascia G, Perrotta L, Galanti G, Padeletti L. Atrial fibrillation in athletes. Int J Sports Med. 2013;34:379-84 pubmed publisher..The purpose of this review is to discuss mechanisms, clinical features, management of atrial fibrillation in competitive athletes, including criteria for eligibility and disqualification in sport practice. ..
- Troisi N, Ercolini L, Chisci E, Barbanti E, Peretti E, Setti M, et al. Urgent endovascular revascularization in acute on chronic critical limb ischemia. J Cardiovasc Surg (Torino). 2016;57:634-9 pubmed..Patients in Rutherford class 6 showed fewer benefits with this approach. ..
- Esposito S, Mayer A, Krzysztofiak A, Garazzino S, Lipreri R, Galli L, et al. Infective Endocarditis in Children in Italy from 2000 to 2015. Expert Rev Anti Infect Ther. 2016;14:353-8 pubmed publisher..In Italy, paediatric IE develops without any previous predisposing factors in a number of children, methicillin-resistant S. aureus has emerged as a common causative agent and the therapeutic approach is extremely variable. ..
- Krausz C. Y chromosome and male infertility. Andrologia. 2005;37:219-23 pubmed
- Minervini A, Davenport K, Keeley F, Timoney A. Antegrade versus retrograde endopyelotomy for pelvi-ureteric junction (PUJ) obstruction. Eur Urol. 2006;49:536-42; discussion 542-3 pubmed
- Tarquini R, Lazzeri C, Laffi G, Gensini G. Adiponectin and the cardiovascular system: from risk to disease. Intern Emerg Med. 2007;2:165-76 pubmed..The early identification of patients "at cardiovascular risk" means in the current practice to search for indexes of metabolic derangements and pro-inflammatory status (adiponectin) from adolescence and childhood. ..
- Riahi S, Arbelo E, Brugada J, Maggioni A, Tavazzi L, Vardas P, et al. Regional differences in referral, procedures, and outcome after ablation for atrial fibrillation in Europe: a report from the Atrial Fibrillation Ablation Pilot Registry of the European Society of Cardiology. Europace. 2016;18:191-200 pubmed publisher..Despite this, 1-year outcomes are without significant differences and in line with previously published clinical trials. ..
- Caini S, Masala G, Gnagnarella P, Ermini I, Russell Edu W, Palli D, et al. Food of animal origin and risk of non-Hodgkin lymphoma and multiple myeloma: A review of the literature and meta-analysis. Crit Rev Oncol Hematol. 2016;100:16-24 pubmed publisher..Our findings reinforce the recommendations to reduce the consumption of red meat by replacing it with vegetables, legumes and fish. ..
- Simonini G, Corinaldesi E, Massai C, Falcini F, Fanti F, De Martino M, et al. Macrophage migration inhibitory factor -173 polymorphism and risk of coronary alterations in children with Kawasaki disease. Clin Exp Rheumatol. 2009;27:1026-30 pubmed..7, 95% CI 1.36-16.1, p=0.021). We showed that children carrying the MIF polymorphism -173*C had a higher percentage of CAA. A potential relationship between a MIF polymorphism and risk of CAA in KD might be considered. ..
- Shadman R, Poole J, Dardas T, Mozaffarian D, Cleland J, Swedberg K, et al. A novel method to predict the proportional risk of sudden cardiac death in heart failure: Derivation of the Seattle Proportional Risk Model. Heart Rhythm. 2015;12:2069-77 pubmed publisher..Further investigation is needed to assess whether this novel predictive method can be used to target the use of lifesaving therapies to populations who will derive greatest mortality benefit . ..
- Cai T, Perletti G, Meacci F, Magri V, Verze P, Palmieri A, et al. Natural history of human papillomavirus infection in non-vaccinated young males: low clearance probability in high-risk genotypes. Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis. 2016;35:463-9 pubmed publisher..The high-risk HPV genotypes showed the lowest rate and probability of viral clearance (pâ€‰<â€‰0.001). In our series, high-risk HPV infections were more likely to persist over time when compared with other HPV genotypes. ..
- Madeira L, Bonoldi I, Rocchetti M, Samson C, Azis M, Queen B, et al. An initial investigation of abnormal bodily phenomena in subjects at ultra high risk for psychosis: Their prevalence and clinical implications. Compr Psychiatry. 2016;66:39-45 pubmed publisher..27, p=0.666) and EASE total scores (z=8.565, adjusted p=0.185) in the UHR subjects with prominent ABP versus those that did not. This initial investigation suggests that ABP could be a prevalent phenotypic feature of UHR subjects. ..
- Nuvolone D, Balzi D, Chini M, Scala D, Giovannini F, Barchielli A. Short-term association between ambient air pollution and risk of hospitalization for acute myocardial infarction: results of the cardiovascular risk and air pollution in Tuscany (RISCAT) study. Am J Epidemiol. 2011;174:63-71 pubmed publisher..This study adds to evidence for a short-term association between air pollutants and AMI onset, also evident at low pollutant levels, suggesting a need to focus on more vulnerable subjects. ..
- Corona G, Mannucci E, Fisher A, Lotti F, Ricca V, Balercia G, et al. Effect of hyperprolactinemia in male patients consulting for sexual dysfunction. J Sex Med. 2007;4:1485-93 pubmed..Gynecomastia does not help in recognizing hyperprolactinemic subjects, while the use of psychotropic medications and HSD are possible markers of disease. In the case of MHPRL, repetitive venous sampling is strongly encouraged. ..
- Bencini L, Sanchez L, Bernini M, Miranda E, Farsi M, Boffi B, et al. Predictors of recurrence after laparoscopic ventral hernia repair. Surg Laparosc Endosc Percutan Tech. 2009;19:128-32 pubmed publisher..085, 95% confidence interval: 0.020-0.355; P=0.001). LVHR is a safe technique to repair ventral hernias. However, smokers with earlier failed repair attempts have a higher risk of recurrence. ..
- Corona G, Mondaini N, Ungar A, Razzoli E, Rossi A, Fusco F. Phosphodiesterase type 5 (PDE5) inhibitors in erectile dysfunction: the proper drug for the proper patient. J Sex Med. 2011;8:3418-32 pubmed publisher..The simple algorithms prepared should be a useful tool to be used in daily practice, which may help in choosing the right treatment for each subject affected by ED. ..
- Vedovati M, Becattini C, Agnelli G, Kamphuisen P, Masotti L, Pruszczyk P, et al. Multidetector CT scan for acute pulmonary embolism: embolic burden and clinical outcome. Chest. 2012;142:1417-1424 pubmed publisher..In hemodynamically stable patients with acute PE, central emboli are associated with an increased risk for all-cause death or clinical deterioration. This risk is low in patients with segmental or subsegmental PE. ..
- Valente S, Lazzeri C, Chiostri M, Giglioli C, Sori A, Tigli S, et al. NT-proBNP on admission for early risk stratification in STEMI patients submitted to PCI. Relation with extension of STEMI and inflammatory markers. Int J Cardiol. 2009;132:84-9 pubmed publisher..Kaplan-Meier curves showed that all patients dead at follow-up were in the highest NT-proBNP quartiles. ..
- Pini R, Cavallini M, Palmieri V, Marchionni N, Di Bari M, Devereux R, et al. Central but not brachial blood pressure predicts cardiovascular events in an unselected geriatric population: the ICARe Dicomano Study. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2008;51:2432-9 pubmed publisher..37/10 mm Hg; p < 0.0001). Our prospective study in an unselected geriatric population demonstrates superior prognostic utility of central compared with brachial BP. ..
- Marcucci R, Sofi F, Grifoni E, Sodi A, Prisco D. Retinal vein occlusions: a review for the internist. Intern Emerg Med. 2011;6:307-14 pubmed publisher..No data are available on the possible role of antithrombotic strategies in the long-term prevention of recurrent RVO or vascular events. ..
- Tefferi A, Betti S, Barraco D, Mudireddy M, Shah S, Hanson C, et al. Gender and survival in essential thrombocythemia: A two-center study of 1,494 patients. Am J Hematol. 2017;92:1193-1197 pubmed publisher..The observations from the current study suggest that women with ET live longer than their male counterparts and that gender might supersede thrombosis history as a risk variable for overall survival. ..
- Marchetto S, de Benedictis F, De Martino M, Versace A, Chiappini E, Bertaine C, et al. Epidemiology of hospital admissions for chickenpox in children: an Italian multicentre study in the pre-vaccine era. Acta Paediatr. 2007;96:1490-3 pubmed..Our findings may be useful as background to evaluate the impact of a tetravalent measles-mumps-rubella-varicella vaccine (MMRV) which is going to be introduced in Italy. ..
- de Giorgi V, Sestini S, Massi D, Papi F, Lotti T. Atypical Spitz tumour: a 'chameleon' lesion. Clin Exp Dermatol. 2008;33:309-11 pubmed publisher..Our case underlines the difficulties present in the controversial chapter of spitzoid melanocytic lesions. The atypical Spitz tumour is a 'chameleon' lesion that can mimic not only melanocytic, but also nonmelanocytic lesions. ..
- Crocetti E, Guzzinati S, Paci E, Falcini F, Zanetti R, Vercelli M, et al. The risk of developing a second, different, cancer among 14 560 survivors of malignant cutaneous melanoma: a study by AIRTUM (the Italian Network of Cancer Registries). Melanoma Res. 2008;18:230-4 pubmed publisher..46) and lung cancers (SIR=0.71). We confirm that CMM patients are at high risk for nonmelanoma skin cancers. The reasons for the increased risk of kidney and bone cancers are not yet clear. ..