Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on humans in Florence, Tuscany, Italy
Locale: Florence, Tuscany, Italy
Publications778 found, 100 shown here
- Parodi G, Migliorini A, Valenti R, Bellandi B, Signorini U, Moschi G, et al. Comparison of bivalirudin and unfractionated heparin plus protamine in patients with coronary heart disease undergoing percutaneous coronary intervention (from the Antithrombotic Regimens aNd Outcome [ARNO] trial). Am J Cardiol. 2010;105:1053-9 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, in percutaneous coronary intervention patients pretreated with clopidogrel and aspirin, bivalirudin was associated with less major bleeding and fewer ischemic complications and a better net clinical outcome than UFH. ..
- Buccoliero A, Castiglione F, Rossi Degl Innocenti D, Franchi A, Sanzo M, Cetica V, et al. Pediatric rhabdoid meningioma: a morphological, immunohistochemical, ultrastructural and molecular case study. Neuropathology. 2011;31:59-65 pubmed publisher..Rhabdoid meningiomas rarely occur in children. Owing to its rarity, each new case should be recorded to produce a better clinical, pathological, molecular, prognostic and therapeutic characterization of this lesion. ..
- Pala L, Pezzatini A, Dicembrini I, Ciani S, Gelmini S, Vannelli B, et al. Different modulation of dipeptidyl peptidase-4 activity between microvascular and macrovascular human endothelial cells. Acta Diabetol. 2012;49 Suppl 1:S59-63 pubmed publisher..Metformin at 48 h only in microvascular endothelial cells is able to reduce in a significant manner (p = 0.01) the activity of DPP-4 but not its expression. The modulation of DPP-4 is site specific. ..
- Mori F, Barni S, Pucci N, Rossi E, Azzari C, de Martino M, et al. Sensitivity and specificity of skin tests in the diagnosis of clarithromycin allergy. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2010;104:417-9 pubmed publisher..Intradermal tests seem to be useful in allergologic workup in children with suspected clarithromycin hypersensitivity and may help reduce the need for OPTs. ..
- Magazzini S, Nazerian P, Vanni S, Paladini B, Pepe G, Casanova B, et al. Clinical picture of meningitis in the adult patient and its relationship with age. Intern Emerg Med. 2012;7:359-64 pubmed publisher..Level of consciousness is frequently altered in the older patients, when other specific signs become more rare, independent of etiology, comorbidities and clinical severity...
- Sassoli C, Chellini F, Pini A, Tani A, Nistri S, Nosi D, et al. Relaxin prevents cardiac fibroblast-myofibroblast transition via notch-1-mediated inhibition of TGF-?/Smad3 signaling. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e63896 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, the results of the present study beside supporting the role of RLX in the field of cardiac fibrosis, provide novel experimental evidence on the molecular mechanisms underlying its effects. ..
- Xue G, Romano E, Massi D, Mandala M. Wnt/?-catenin signaling in melanoma: Preclinical rationale and novel therapeutic insights. Cancer Treat Rev. 2016;49:1-12 pubmed publisher..In this review, we address the multifaceted regulatory mechanisms of WNT signaling in cancer, with a particular focus on current melanoma therapy, which has witnessed dramatic improvement in the last five years. ..
- Mannelli M, Simi L, Gaglianò M, Opocher G, Ercolino T, Becherini L, et al. Genetics and biology of pheochromocytoma. Exp Clin Endocrinol Diabetes. 2007;115:160-5 pubmed..The clinical picture and the biological characteristics of the tumor may suggest the priority of the genes to be tested first. ..
- Scollato A, Tenenbaum R, Bahl G, Celerini M, Salani B, Di Lorenzo N. Changes in aqueductal CSF stroke volume and progression of symptoms in patients with unshunted idiopathic normal pressure hydrocephalus. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2008;29:192-7 pubmed..The progressive reduction of the SV in untreated patients with worsening clinical symptoms may be a sign of a progressive cerebral ischemic injury, which renders the NPH irreversible. ..
- Manetti M, Liakouli V, Fatini C, Cipriani P, Bonino C, Vettori S, et al. Association between a stromal cell-derived factor 1 (SDF-1/CXCL12) gene polymorphism and microvascular disease in systemic sclerosis. Ann Rheum Dis. 2009;68:408-11 pubmed publisher..37, 95% CI 1.04 to 5.42, p = 0.04; ulcers: OR = 2.33, 95% CI 1.78 to 4.62, p = 0.01). The SDF1-3'A allele is significantly associated with microvascular involvement in SSc. ..
- Lotti F, Corona G, Mancini M, Biagini C, Colpi G, Innocenti S, et al. The association between varicocele, premature ejaculation and prostatitis symptoms: possible mechanisms. J Sex Med. 2009;6:2878-87 pubmed publisher..No study has ever systematically evaluated the impact of varicocele on sexual function...
- Troisi N, Dorigo W, Pulli R, Pratesi C. A case of traumatic internal carotid artery aneurysm secondary to carotid shunting. J Vasc Surg. 2010;51:225-7 pubmed publisher..Burlington, Mass) shunt balloon inflation. To our knowledge, this complication of shunting during carotid endarterectomy has not been previously described...
- Milaneschi Y, Bandinelli S, Corsi A, Vazzana R, Patel K, Ferrucci L, et al. Personal mastery and lower body mobility in community-dwelling older persons: the Invecchiare in Chianti study. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2010;58:98-103 pubmed publisher..Older individuals with poor sense of personal mastery are at high risk of accelerated lower extremity physical function decline. Whether interventions aimed at improving personal mastery may prevent disability remains unknown. ..
- Confortini M, Carozzi F, Zappa M, Ventura L, Iossa A, Cariaggi P, et al. Human papillomavirus infection and risk factors in a cohort of Tuscan women aged 18-24: results at recruitment. BMC Infect Dis. 2010;10:157 pubmed publisher..The 3-year follow-up of this cohort may provide a better understanding of the processes of acquisition, clearance and persistence of infection and the correlated risk factors. ..
- Malentacchi F, Vinci S, Della Melina A, Kuncova J, Villari D, Giannarini G, et al. Splicing variants of carbonic anhydrase IX in bladder cancer and urine sediments. Urol Oncol. 2012;30:278-84 pubmed publisher..93. Our results seem to indicate that in bladder cancers and related urine sediments, FL-CAIX is the prevalent and is the most accurate clinically relevant variant surrogate of hypoxic stress. ..
- D Erme A, Agnoletti A, Prignano F. Fissured tongue responding to biologics during the treatment of psoriasis: the importance of detecting oral involvement of psoriasis. Dermatol Ther. 2013;26:364-6 pubmed publisher..The authors think it would be important to consider possible oral lesions in patients suffering from psoriasis in normal practice and to evaluate them introducing specific clinical scales. ..
- Salvadori E, Poggesi A, Valenti R, Pracucci G, Pescini F, Pasi M, et al. Operationalizing mild cognitive impairment criteria in small vessel disease: the VMCI-Tuscany Study. Alzheimers Dement. 2016;12:407-18 pubmed publisher..Operationalizing MCI criteria changes the relative frequency of MCI subtypes. Nonamnestic single domain MCI may be a previously nonrecognized type of MCI associated with SVD. ..
- Audisio R, Icardi G, Isidori A, Liverani C, Lombardi A, Mariani L, et al. Public health value of universal HPV vaccination. Crit Rev Oncol Hematol. 2016;97:157-67 pubmed publisher..Policymakers must take into consideration effective vaccination programs in the prevention of cancers. ..
- Bucerius J, Hyafil F, Verberne H, Slart R, Lindner O, Sciagrà R, et al. Position paper of the Cardiovascular Committee of the European Association of Nuclear Medicine (EANM) on PET imaging of atherosclerosis. Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging. 2016;43:780-92 pubmed publisher..However, this EANM position paper might indeed be a first step towards "official" guidelines on atherosclerosis imaging with PET. ..
- Messori A, Cattel F, Trippoli S, Vaiani M. Survival in patients with metastatic breast cancer: analysis of randomized studies comparing oral aromatase inhibitors versus megestrol. Anticancer Drugs. 2000;11:701-6 pubmed..A preliminary calculation of the cost per life year gained shows that the pharmacoeconomic profile of these drugs is favorable. ..
- Filippelli M, Duranti R, Gigliotti F, Bianchi R, Grazzini M, Stendardi L, et al. Overall contribution of chest wall hyperinflation to breathlessness in asthma. Chest. 2003;124:2164-70 pubmed..56), although Vcw,ee explained 48% of it. During methacholine challenge in patients with asthma, the overall increase in Vcw,ee is a better predictor of dyspnea that the reduction in FEV(1). ..
- Conti A, Sammicheli L, Gallini C, Costanzo E, Antoniucci D, Barletta G. Assessment of patients with low-risk chest pain in the emergency department: Head-to-head comparison of exercise stress echocardiography and exercise myocardial SPECT. Am Heart J. 2005;149:894-901 pubmed..Ex-Echo can be an effective diagnostic strategy in the early triage of CP patients, improving diagnosis in case of (-)ex-ECG and reducing unnecessary angiography number. Its drawback is represented by the 5% of missed diagnosis. ..
- Cianchi F, Cortesini C, Magnelli L, Fanti E, Papucci L, Schiavone N, et al. Inhibition of 5-lipoxygenase by MK886 augments the antitumor activity of celecoxib in human colon cancer cells. Mol Cancer Ther. 2006;5:2716-26 pubmed..In conclusion, our study showed that inhibition of 5-LOX by MK886 could augment the antitumor activity of celecoxib in human colorectal cancer. ..
- Mannelli M, Ercolino T, Giachè V, Simi L, Cirami C, Parenti G. Genetic screening for pheochromocytoma: should SDHC gene analysis be included?. J Med Genet. 2007;44:586-7 pubmed
- Simi L, Pratesi N, Vignoli M, Sestini R, Cianchi F, Valanzano R, et al. High-resolution melting analysis for rapid detection of KRAS, BRAF, and PIK3CA gene mutations in colorectal cancer. Am J Clin Pathol. 2008;130:247-53 pubmed publisher..008), whereas KRAS and BRAF mutations were mutually exclusive (P = .001). This report describes a novel approach for the detection of PIK3CA somatic mutations by HRMA. ..
- Giannoni E, Fiaschi T, Ramponi G, Chiarugi P. Redox regulation of anoikis resistance of metastatic prostate cancer cells: key role for Src and EGFR-mediated pro-survival signals. Oncogene. 2009;28:2074-86 pubmed publisher..Hence, our results allow new insight into the aetiology of the molecular mechanisms granting anoikis resistance of metastatic cancers, opening new avenues to pharmacological intervention for antioxidant-sensitive invasive tumours. ..
- Zamidei L, Bandini M, Michelagnoli G, Campostrini R, Consales G. Propriospinal myoclonus following intrathecal bupivacaine in hip surgery: a case report. Minerva Anestesiol. 2010;76:290-3 pubmed..Few cases of myoclonus induced by intrathecal bupivacaine administration have been reported in the literature, but systematic reviews written to clarify the global incidence and the physiopathology of this complication are still lacking...
- Mencucci R, Marini M, Paladini I, Sarchielli E, Sgambati E, Menchini U, et al. Effects of riboflavin/UVA corneal cross-linking on keratocytes and collagen fibres in human cornea. Clin Exp Ophthalmol. 2010;38:49-56 pubmed publisher..These modifications are the morphological correlate of the process leading to an increase in biomechanical stability. ..
- Giansanti F, Giuntoli M, Mazzini C, Pieretti G, Abbruzzese G, Menchini U. Pneumatic retinopexy for retinal detachment associated with choroidal coloboma. Eur J Ophthalmol. 2012;22:680-2 pubmed publisher..To report a case of retinal detachment in an eye with choroidal coloboma treated with pneumatic retinopexy and laser...
- Scotti V, Di Cataldo V, Falchini M, Meattini I, Livi L, Ugolini D, et al. Isolated chest wall implantation of non-small cell lung cancer after fine-needle aspiration: a case report and review of the literature. Tumori. 2012;98:126e-129e pubmed publisher..Although tumor seeding after FNAB is a rare but possible complication, we suggest that careful examination for implantation (with periodical CT scans) should be performed for at least three years after FNAB...
- Rizzetto L, Giovannini G, Bromley M, Bowyer P, Romani L, Cavalieri D. Strain dependent variation of immune responses to A. fumigatus: definition of pathogenic species. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e56651 pubmed publisher..The profound understanding of the molecular mechanisms subtending the different immune responses will result solely from the comparative study of strains with extremely diverse properties. ..
- Bassi A, Campolmi P, Dindelli M, Bruscino N, Conti R, Cannarozzo G, et al. Laser surgery in rhinophyma. G Ital Dermatol Venereol. 2016;151:9-16 pubmed..Our study demonstrates that carbon dioxide laser warrants a careful nasal surface ablation, allowing the remodeling of the hypertrophic areas, with an excellent cosmetic result, a very short healing time, and virtually no side effects. ..
- Di Benedetto A, Brunetti G, Posa F, Ballini A, Grassi F, Colaianni G, et al. Osteogenic differentiation of mesenchymal stem cells from dental bud: Role of integrins and cadherins. Stem Cell Res. 2015;15:618-628 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that functionalization of biomaterials with such ECM proteins would improve bone reconstruction therapies starting from dental stem cells. ..
- Rietjens J, Korfage I, Dunleavy L, Preston N, Jabbarian L, Christensen C, et al. Advance care planning--a multi-centre cluster randomised clinical trial: the research protocol of the ACTION study. BMC Cancer. 2016;16:264 pubmed publisher..International Standard Randomised Controlled Trial Number: ISRCTN63110516. Date of registration: 10/3/2014. ..
- Macchi M, Belfiore M, Floridi C, Serra N, Belfiore G, Carmignani L, et al. Radiofrequency versus microwave ablation for treatment of the lung tumours: LUMIRA (lung microwave radiofrequency) randomized trial. Med Oncol. 2017;34:96 pubmed publisher..However, when compared to RFA therapy, MWA produced a less intraprocedural pain and a significant reduction in tumour mass. ..
- Perini A, Kutyifa V, Veazie P, Daubert J, Schuger C, Zareba W, et al. Effects of implantable cardioverter/defibrillator shock and antitachycardia pacing on anxiety and quality of life: A MADIT-RIT substudy. Am Heart J. 2017;189:75-84 pubmed publisher..Innovative ICD programming reducing inappropriate therapies may help deal with patient concerns about the device. ..
- De Marchis M, Tonelli F, Quaresmini D, Lovero D, Della Morte D, Silvestris F, et al. Desmoid Tumors in Familial Adenomatous Polyposis. Anticancer Res. 2017;37:3357-3366 pubmed..In this review, we provide an updated insight into desmoids in FAP syndrome, from molecular pathogenesis to the main issues in management, with special attention given to genetic and molecular features of these tumors. ..
- Zagli G, Cozzolino M, Terreni A, Biagioli T, Caldini A, Peris A. Diagnosis of ventilator-associated pneumonia: a pilot, exploratory analysis of a new score based on procalcitonin and chest echography. Chest. 2014;146:1578-1585 pubmed publisher..829 vs 0.616, respectively; P < .0001). In this pilot, exploratory analysis, CEPPIS is effective in predicting VAP. Prospective validation is needed to confirm the potential value of this score to facilitate VAP diagnosis. ..
- Palli D, Berrino F, Vineis P, Tumino R, Panico S, Masala G, et al. A molecular epidemiology project on diet and cancer: the EPIC-Italy Prospective Study. Design and baseline characteristics of participants. Tumori. 2003;89:586-93 pubmed..Baseline characteristics of participants are briefly described...
- Cucchi P, Meini S, Bressan A, Catalani C, Bellucci F, Santicioli P, et al. MEN16132, a novel potent and selective nonpeptide antagonist for the human bradykinin B2 receptor. In vitro pharmacology and molecular characterization. Eur J Pharmacol. 2005;528:7-16 pubmed..In conclusion, MEN16132 is a new, potent, and selective nonpeptide bradykinin B2 receptor antagonist. ..
- Peluso M, Srivatanakul P, Munnia A, Jedpiyawongse A, Meunier A, Sangrajrang S, et al. DNA adduct formation among workers in a Thai industrial estate and nearby residents. Sci Total Environ. 2008;389:283-8 pubmed..The emissions from the MIE complex are the main source of air pollution in this area and can be the cause of such increment in the levels of DNA damage. ..
- Pescini F, Bianchi S, Salvadori E, Poggesi A, Dotti M, Federico A, et al. A pathogenic mutation on exon 21 of the NOTCH3 gene causing CADASIL in an octogenarian paucisymptomatic patient. J Neurol Sci. 2008;267:170-3 pubmed..The newly reported mutation might sustain a milder expressivity of the disease. ..
- Cesari F, Marcucci R, Caporale R, Paniccia R, Romano E, Gensini G, et al. Relationship between high platelet turnover and platelet function in high-risk patients with coronary artery disease on dual antiplatelet therapy. Thromb Haemost. 2008;99:930-5 pubmed publisher..This study indicates that a high rate of platelet turnover is a new mechanism associated with platelet reactivity in high risk CAD patients on dual antiplatelet therapy. ..
- Formigli L, Sassoli C, Squecco R, Bini F, Martinesi M, Chellini F, et al. Regulation of transient receptor potential canonical channel 1 (TRPC1) by sphingosine 1-phosphate in C2C12 myoblasts and its relevance for a role of mechanotransduction in skeletal muscle differentiation. J Cell Sci. 2009;122:1322-33 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these findings may offer new tools for understanding the role of TRPC1 and sphingolipid signalling in skeletal muscle regeneration and provide new therapeutic approaches for skeletal muscle disorders. ..
- Nuti F, Luciani P, Marinari E, Erdei E, Bak M, Deledda C, et al. Seladin-1 and testicular germ cell tumours: new insights into cisplatin responsiveness. J Pathol. 2009;219:491-500 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, we have demonstrated for the first time an important role for seladin-1 in the biology of TGCTs and provided new insights into cisplatin responsiveness of these tumours. ..
- Crocetti E, Guzzinati S, Paci E, Falcini F, Zanetti R, Vercelli M, et al. Strong seasonality in the diagnosis of skin melanoma in Italy: the Italian Network of Cancer Registries (AIRTUM) study. Tumori. 2009;95:665-8 pubmed..To evaluate seasonality in the diagnosis of cutaneous melanoma in Italy...
- Paniccia R, Antonucci E, Maggini N, Miranda M, Gori A, Marcucci R, et al. Comparison of methods for monitoring residual platelet reactivity after clopidogrel by point-of-care tests on whole blood in high-risk patients. Thromb Haemost. 2010;104:287-92 pubmed publisher..MEA might represent a reliable method and valid alternative in comparison with other available platelet function assays. It might help to guide antiplatelet therapy and thus improve clinical outcome of high-risk CAD patients. ..
- Palli D, Polidoro S, D Errico M, Saieva C, Guarrera S, Calcagnile A, et al. Polymorphic DNA repair and metabolic genes: a multigenic study on gastric cancer. Mutagenesis. 2010;25:569-75 pubmed publisher..25, P=0.0012). These findings indicate that a complex interaction between host factors such as oxidative stress, antioxidant capacity and efficiency of multiple DNA repair pathways underlies the inter-individual variability in GC risk. ..
- Coccia M, Rizzello F, Gianfranco S. Does controlled ovarian hyperstimulation in women with a history of endometriosis influence recurrence rate?. J Womens Health (Larchmt). 2010;19:2063-9 pubmed publisher..The most important prognostic factors in recurrent disease observed by TV-US seem to be the stage of endometriosis and the presence of pelvic pain at the time of the first laparoscopic treatment. ..
- Nuvolone D, Balzi D, Chini M, Scala D, Giovannini F, Barchielli A. Short-term association between ambient air pollution and risk of hospitalization for acute myocardial infarction: results of the cardiovascular risk and air pollution in Tuscany (RISCAT) study. Am J Epidemiol. 2011;174:63-71 pubmed publisher..This study adds to evidence for a short-term association between air pollutants and AMI onset, also evident at low pollutant levels, suggesting a need to focus on more vulnerable subjects. ..
- Corona G, Mondaini N, Ungar A, Razzoli E, Rossi A, Fusco F. Phosphodiesterase type 5 (PDE5) inhibitors in erectile dysfunction: the proper drug for the proper patient. J Sex Med. 2011;8:3418-32 pubmed publisher..The simple algorithms prepared should be a useful tool to be used in daily practice, which may help in choosing the right treatment for each subject affected by ED. ..
- Monami M, Dicembrini I, Martelli D, Mannucci E. Safety of dipeptidyl peptidase-4 inhibitors: a meta-analysis of randomized clinical trials. Curr Med Res Opin. 2011;27 Suppl 3:57-64 pubmed publisher..This result should be interpreted with caution, as those events were not the principal endpoint, the trial duration was short, and the characteristics of patients included could be different from routine clinical practice. ..
- Buchi F, Spinelli E, Masala E, Gozzini A, Sanna A, Bosi A, et al. Proteomic analysis identifies differentially expressed proteins in AML1/ETO acute myeloid leukemia cells treated with DNMT inhibitors azacitidine and decitabine. Leuk Res. 2012;36:607-18 pubmed publisher..Finally, a comprehensive pathway analysis of data highlighted a relationship between the identified proteins and potential effectors...
- Marcucci R, Giusti B, Paniccia R, Gori A, Saracini C, Valente S, et al. High on-treatment platelet reactivity by ADP and increased risk of MACE in good clopidogrel metabolizers. Platelets. 2012;23:586-93 pubmed publisher..Therefore, both phenotype and genotype are clinically relevant for the evaluation of the antiplatelet effect of clopidogrel and for the prognostic stratification of ACS patients. ..
- Cianferotti L, Bertoldo F, Bischoff Ferrari H, Bruyere O, Cooper C, Cutolo M, et al. Vitamin D supplementation in the prevention and management of major chronic diseases not related to mineral homeostasis in adults: research for evidence and a scientific statement from the European society for clinical and economic aspects of osteopo. Endocrine. 2017;56:245-261 pubmed publisher
- Kondili L, Gaeta G, Brunetto M, Di Leo A, Iannone A, Santantonio T, et al. Incidence of DAA failure and the clinical impact of retreatment in real-life patients treated in the advanced stage of liver disease: Interim evaluations from the PITER network. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0185728 pubmed publisher..Few data are available on the virological and clinical outcomes of advanced liver disease patients retreated after first-line DAA failure...
- Miniati I, Guiducci S, Conforti M, Rogai V, Fiori G, Cinelli M, et al. Autologous stem cell transplantation improves microcirculation in systemic sclerosis. Ann Rheum Dis. 2009;68:94-8 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that HSCT with a high dose CYC regimen may foster vascular remodelling, while CYC at lower doses and with a chronic regimen does not influence the microvasculature. ..
- Olivotto I, Maron M, Autore C, Lesser J, Rega L, Casolo G, et al. Assessment and significance of left ventricular mass by cardiovascular magnetic resonance in hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2008;52:559-66 pubmed publisher..Therefore, increased LV mass is not a requirement for establishing the clinical diagnosis of HCM. The LV mass correlated weakly with maximal wall thickness, and proved more sensitive in predicting outcome. ..
- Gonfiotti A, Santini P, Campanacci D, Innocenti M, Ferrarello S, Caldarella A, et al. Malignant primary chest-wall tumours: techniques of reconstruction and survival. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2010;38:39-45 pubmed publisher..The STRATOS system, developed for chest-wall replacement, allows a firm reconstruction, simple to handle and to fix, avoiding instability or paradoxical movement also in wide chest-wall resections. ..
- Cantinotti M, De Gaudio M, De Martino M, Assanta N, Moschetti R, Veneruso G, et al. Intracardiac left atrial tuberculoma in an eleven-month-old infant: case report. BMC Infect Dis. 2011;11:359 pubmed publisher..Involvement of other part of the heart is unusual and descriptions in the pediatric literature are confined to few case reports regarding mainly myocardial tuberculosis...
- Giovannelli I, Clausi V, Nukuzuma S, Della Malva N, Nosi D, Giannecchini S. Polyomavirus JC microRNA expression after infection in vitro. Virus Res. 2016;213:269-273 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that additional investigations of the expression of JCPyV microRNAs and their presence in exosomes are necessary to shed light on their regulatory role during viral reactivation. ..
- Pratesi A, Di Serio C, Orso F, Foschini A, Bartoli N, Marella A, et al. Prognostic value of adiponectin in coronary artery disease: Role of diabetes and left ventricular systolic dysfunction. Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2016;118:58-66 pubmed publisher..In stable CAD, an AD value of >13.2ng/ml independently predicts a 6-fold increased risk of all-cause mortality. ..
- Ferraroni M, Lucarini L, Masini E, Korsakov M, Scozzafava A, Supuran C, et al. 1,3-Oxazole-based selective picomolar inhibitors of cytosolic human carbonic anhydrase II alleviate ocular hypertension in rabbits: Potency is supported by X-ray crystallography of two leads. Bioorg Med Chem. 2017;25:4560-4565 pubmed publisher..These data significantly expand our understanding of heterocycle-based primary sulfonamides, many of which have recently emerged from our labs - particularly, from the corneal permeability standpoint. ..
- Monami M, Balzi D, Lamanna C, Melani C, Cocca C, Lotti E, et al. Prognostic value of serum liver enzymes levels in type 2 diabetic patients. Diabetes Metab Res Rev. 2007;23:625-30 pubmed..The present study shows that, in type 2 diabetic patients, higher gamma-GT, but not ALT, is associated with increased mortality for cardiovascular disease and malignancies. ..
- Filoni C, Caciotti A, Carraresi L, Donati M, Mignani R, Parini R, et al. Unbalanced GLA mRNAs ratio quantified by real-time PCR in Fabry patients' fibroblasts results in Fabry disease. Eur J Hum Genet. 2008;16:1311-7 pubmed publisher..The real-time assay developed here to investigate the two alpha-galactosidase A mRNAs might play a crucial role in revealing possible genetic lesions and in confirming the pathogenetic mechanisms underlying Fabry disease. ..
- Dani C, Perugi S, Benuzzi A, Corsini I, Bertini G, Pratesi S, et al. Effects of red blood cell transfusions during the first week of life on acid-base, glucose, and electrolytes in preterm neonates. Transfusion. 2008;48:2302-7 pubmed publisher..A linear direct correlation was observed between potassium intake by RBC transfusions and changes of kalemia in our infants, but there was not an increase of K(+) plasma level after transfusions. ..
- Caproni M, Antiga E, Melani L, Volpi W, Del Bianco E, Fabbri P. Serum levels of IL-17 and IL-22 are reduced by etanercept, but not by acitretin, in patients with psoriasis: a randomized-controlled trial. J Clin Immunol. 2009;29:210-4 pubmed publisher..Only etanercept was able to reduce IL-17 and IL-22 levels. Our findings suggest that etanercept is more effective than acitretin in the treatment of psoriasis and that it is able to affect Th17 system. ..
- Giuntini R, Martinelli C, Ricci E, Vichi F, Gianelli E, Madeddu G, et al. Efficacy and safety of boosted and unboosted atazanavir-containing antiretroviral regimens in real life: results from a multicentre cohort study. HIV Med. 2010;11:40-5 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that, in unselected clinical settings, ATV-containing antiretroviral therapy is durable and safe in both its formulations. ..
- Fumagalli S, Fattirolli F, Guarducci L, Cellai T, Baldasseroni S, Tarantini F, et al. Coenzyme Q10 terclatrate and creatine in chronic heart failure: a randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blind study. Clin Cardiol. 2011;34:211-7 pubmed publisher..Results may support the design of larger studies aimed at assessing the long-term effects of this treatment on functional status and harder outcomes. ..
- Maddali Bongi S, Signorini M, Bassetti M, Del Rosso A, Orlandi M, De Scisciolo G. A manual therapy intervention improves symptoms in patients with carpal tunnel syndrome: a pilot study. Rheumatol Int. 2013;33:1233-41 pubmed publisher..05). No changes in SNCV, DML and CTS scoring were shown. MTI improved CTS signs and symptoms, with benefits maintained at follow-up. Thus, it may be valid as a conservative therapy...
- Rombouts K, Carloni V, Mello T, Omenetti S, Galastri S, Madiai S, et al. Myristoylated Alanine-Rich protein Kinase C Substrate (MARCKS) expression modulates the metastatic phenotype in human and murine colon carcinoma in vitro and in vivo. Cancer Lett. 2013;333:244-52 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, MARCKS plays an articulated role in the progression of colorectal cancer and might represent a suitable target to interfere and overcome the invasive behaviour of colon carcinoma cells at primary and distant sites. ..
- Cillino G, Casuccio A, Pasti M, Bono V, Mencucci R, Cillino S. Working-age cataract patients: visual results, reading performance, and quality of life with three diffractive multifocal intraocular lenses. Ophthalmology. 2014;121:34-44 pubmed publisher..Intrinsic optical differences, such as optimization for computer or dim-light working, or night driving, could be useful tools to customize the IOL in each single case. ..
- Conti A. The birth and evolution of the Ministry of Health and of the National Health Service in Italy. Acta Biomed. 2015;86:111-2 pubmed
- Nucci C, De Bonis P, Mangiola A, Santini P, Sciandrone M, Risi A, et al. Intracranial pressure wave morphological classification: automated analysis and clinical validation. Acta Neurochir (Wien). 2016;158:581-8; discussion 588 pubmed publisher..An ANN can be trained to efficiently recognize four different CSF wave morphologies. This classification seems helpful and accurate for diagnostic use. ..
- Ungar A, Ceccofiglio A, Pescini F, Mussi C, Tava G, Rafanelli M, et al. Syncope and Epilepsy coexist in 'possible' and 'drug-resistant' epilepsy (Overlap between Epilepsy and Syncope Study - OESYS). BMC Neurol. 2017;17:45 pubmed publisher..These findings highlight the need of ESC guidelines of syncope approach in patients with possible and drug-resistant epilepsy. ..
- Foschini M, Miglio R, Quinn C, Belgio B, Regitnig P, Bianchi S, et al. Prognostic impact of macrometastasis linear size in sentinel node biopsy for breast carcinoma. Eur J Surg Oncol. 2017;43:1421-1427 pubmed publisher..It is suggested that a Mac-m size of <7 mm is related to a low residual axillary disease burden in breast cancer patients with small (pT1) tumours. ..
- Cellai E, Magrini S, Masala G, Alterini R, Costantini A, Rigacci L, et al. The risk of second malignant tumors and its consequences for the overall survival of Hodgkin's disease patients and for the choice of their treatment at presentation: analysis of a series of 1524 cases consecutively treated at the Florence University. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2001;49:1327-37 pubmed..The effect of SMT on the survival of the entire series, although not negligible, does not seem to justify by itself substantial alterations in the current standards for the treatment of HD at presentation. ..
- Corrado A, Confalonieri M, Marchese S, Mollica C, Villella G, Gorini M, et al. Iron lung vs mask ventilation in the treatment of acute on chronic respiratory failure in COPD patients: a multicenter study. Chest. 2002;121:189-95 pubmed..001 and p = 0.001, respectively). These data suggest that both ventilatory techniques are equally effective in avoiding EI and death in COPD patients with ARF. Prospective trials are needed to confirm these preliminary results. ..
- Amato L, Mei S, Massi D, Gallerani I, Fabbri P. Cicatricial alopecia; a dermatopathologic and immunopathologic study of 33 patients (pseudopelade of Brocq is not a specific clinico-pathologic entity). Int J Dermatol. 2002;41:8-15 pubmed
- Granchi S, Vannelli G, Vignozzi L, Crescioli C, Ferruzzi P, Mancina R, et al. Expression and regulation of endothelin-1 and its receptors in human penile smooth muscle cells. Mol Hum Reprod. 2002;8:1053-64 pubmed..In addition, the hfPSMC we have characterized might be a useful model for studying biochemical aspects of the human erectile process in vitro. ..
- Amato L, Mei S, Gallerani I, Moretti S, Fabbri P. A case of chronic herpes gestationis: persistent disease or conversion to bullous pemphigoid?. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2003;49:302-7 pubmed..We present this case as chronic persistent HG and discuss the differential diagnosis between chronic persistent HG and HG evolving to bullous pemphigoid, together with a careful examination of similar cases reported in literature. ..
- Masi L, Simonini G, Piscitelli E, Del Monte F, Giani T, Cimaz R, et al. Osteoprotegerin (OPG)/RANK-L system in juvenile idiopathic arthritis: is there a potential modulating role for OPG/RANK-L in bone injury?. J Rheumatol. 2004;31:986-91 pubmed..The higher OPG/RANK-L ratio in JIA might be the result of a compensatory production of OPG. The presence of the T allele of the OPG gene appears to be associated with low BMD. ..
- Krausz C, Quintana Murci L, Forti G. Y chromosome polymorphisms in medicine. Ann Med. 2004;36:573-83 pubmed..The situation is rather contradictory for other male-specific or male-associated diseases and further multicenter--possibly multiethnic--studies are needed. ..
- Caciotti A, Donati M, Bardelli T, D AZZO A, Massai G, Luciani L, et al. Primary and secondary elastin-binding protein defect leads to impaired elastogenesis in fibroblasts from GM1-gangliosidosis patients. Am J Pathol. 2005;167:1689-98 pubmed..Thus, impaired elastogenesis in G(M1)-gangliosidosis can arise from primary or secondary EBP defects in fibroblasts from infantile and juvenile patients, respectively...
- Krausz C. Y chromosome and male infertility. Andrologia. 2005;37:219-23 pubmed