Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on humans in Messina, Sicily, Italy
Locale: Messina, Sicily, Italy
Publications193 found, 100 shown here
- Navarra M, Celano M, Maiuolo J, Schenone S, Botta M, Angelucci A, et al. Antiproliferative and pro-apoptotic effects afforded by novel Src-kinase inhibitors in human neuroblastoma cells. BMC Cancer. 2010;10:602 pubmed publisher..Our study shows the ability of this pyrazolo-pyrimidine Src inhibitor in reducing the growth and the invasiveness of human NB cells, suggesting a promising role as novel drug in the treatment of neuroblastoma. ..
- Aricò I, Condurso R, Granata F, Nobili L, Bruni O, Silvestri R. Nocturnal frontal lobe epilepsy presenting with restless leg syndrome-like symptoms. Neurol Sci. 2011;32:313-5 pubmed publisher..CBZ augmentation and add on therapy with LEV led to further frequency reduction of sensory symptoms. ..
- Musumeci O, Bassi M, Mazzeo A, Grandis M, Crimella C, Martinuzzi A, et al. A novel mutation in KIF5A gene causing hereditary spastic paraplegia with axonal neuropathy. Neurol Sci. 2011;32:665-8 pubmed publisher..608C>G) of KIF5A gene resulting in a serine to cysteine substitution, S203C, located in a highly conserved domain of the protein. This pedigree confirms the occurrence of an axonal peripheral neuropathy in SPG10. ..
- Pellegrino S, Villanacci V, Sansotta N, Scarfi R, Bassotti G, Vieni G, et al. Redefining the intraepithelial lymphocytes threshold to diagnose gluten sensitivity in patients with architecturally normal duodenal histology. Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2011;33:697-706 pubmed publisher..Accuracy of intraepithelial lymphocytes counts for diagnosing mild enteropathy coeliac disease in absence of villous atrophy can be limited by inappropriate controls included in the studies...
- Guarneri F, Guarneri B, Borgia F, Guarneri C. Potential role of molecular mimicry between human U1-70 kDa and fungal proteins in the development of T-cell mediated anti-U1-70 kDa autoimmunity. Immunopharmacol Immunotoxicol. 2011;33:620-5 pubmed publisher..Research in this field could improve the understanding of the mechanisms leading to anti-U1-70 kDa autoimmunity, with potential consequences on prevention. ..
- Caruso R, Fedele F, Parisi A, Paparo D, Bonanno A, Finocchiaro G, et al. Chronic allergic-like inflammation in the tumor stroma of human gastric carcinomas: an ultrastructural study. Ultrastruct Pathol. 2012;36:139-44 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, TATE may indicate a chronic allergic-like Th2 host-tumor reaction, and understanding these pathways should create tools to enhance defence and contrast neoplastic disease. ..
- Gangemi S, Allegra A, Alonci A, Cristani M, Russo S, Speciale A, et al. Increase of novel biomarkers for oxidative stress in patients with plasma cell disorders and in multiple myeloma patients with bone lesions. Inflamm Res. 2012;61:1063-7 pubmed publisher..MM is closely associated with oxidative stress and further investigation might provide an insight to understand a putative causal link between oxidative stress and MM disease onset and progression or MM complications. ..
- Bonaccorsi I, Pezzino G, Morandi B, Ferlazzo G. Novel perspectives on dendritic cell-based immunotherapy of cancer. Immunol Lett. 2013;155:6-10 pubmed publisher..In particular, we highlight the relevance of improving our current understanding of DC trafficking, functions and interactions with other cells of innate immunity for the development of more effective cancer vaccines. ..
- Idolazzi L, Adami S, Capozza R, Bianchi G, Cozzolongo A, Epis O, et al. Suboptimal methotrexate use in rheumatoid arthritis patients in Italy: the MARI study. Clin Exp Rheumatol. 2015;33:895-9 pubmed..The recommendations for the use of MTX in RA patients should take into account the efficacy and tolerability data derived from its use in real clinical practice. ..
- Fink E, Berger R, Clark R, Watson R, Angus D, Panigrahy A, et al. Exploratory study of serum ubiquitin carboxyl-terminal esterase L1 and glial fibrillary acidic protein for outcome prognostication after pediatric cardiac arrest. Resuscitation. 2016;101:65-70 pubmed publisher..822 and 0.796), p<0.05 for all. Preliminary data suggest that serum UCH-L1 and GFAP may be of use to prognosticate outcome after pediatric cardiac arrest at clinically-relevant time points and should be validated prospectively. ..
- Fabio R, Billeci L, Crifaci G, Troise E, Tortorella G, Pioggia G. Cognitive training modifies frequency EEG bands and neuropsychological measures in Rett syndrome. Res Dev Disabil. 2016;53-54:73-85 pubmed publisher..The overall result of this study indicates a positive effect of long-term cognitive training on brain and behavioral parameters in subject with RS. ..
- Zollo M, Ahmed M, Ferrucci V, Salpietro V, Asadzadeh F, Carotenuto M, et al. PRUNE is crucial for normal brain development and mutated in microcephaly with neurodevelopmental impairment. Brain. 2017;140:940-952 pubmed publisher..Together these studies define PRUNE as a molecule fundamental for normal human cortical development and define cellular and clinical consequences associated with PRUNE mutation. ..
- Conti A, Pontoriero A, Iatì G, Esposito F, Siniscalchi E, Crimi S, et al. Frameless Stereotactic Radiosurgery for Treatment of Multiple Sclerosis-Related Trigeminal Neuralgia. World Neurosurg. 2017;103:702-712 pubmed publisher..Nonetheless, long-term pain control was possible in less than half of the patients. This is a limitation that CyberKnife radiosurgery shares with other techniques in MS patients. ..
- D Amico G, Cedro C, Muscatello M, Pandolfo G, Di Rosa A, Zoccali R, et al. Olanzapine augmentation of paroxetine-refractory obsessive-compulsive disorder. Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry. 2003;27:619-23 pubmed..Our findings confirm the results of previous studies and indicate that the addition of olanzapine to ongoing treatment with serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SRI) may be beneficial in some patients unresponsive to SRI monotherapy. ..
- Caristi S, Piraino G, Cucinotta M, Valenti A, Loddo S, Teti D. Prostaglandin E2 induces interleukin-8 gene transcription by activating C/EBP homologous protein in human T lymphocytes. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:14433-42 pubmed..These findings show the complexity with which PGE(2) regulates IL-8 synthesis by inhibiting or enhancing its production depending on the cell types and environmental conditions. ..
- Ruggeri R, Sciacchitano S, Vitarelli E, Trimarchi F, Barresi G, Trovato M. Immunoexpression of multidrug-resistance protein 2 and cyclooxygenase 2 in medullary thyroid carcinomas. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2006;130:1014-9 pubmed..Evaluation of the expression pattern of these 2 proteins may be useful to predict chemosensitivity of these types of tumors. ..
- Fodale V, Mafrica F, Caminiti V, Grasso G. The cholinergic system in Down's syndrome. J Intellect Disabil. 2006;10:261-74 pubmed
- Bellinghieri G, Santoro D, Savica V. Emerging drugs for hyperphosphatemia. Expert Opin Emerg Drugs. 2007;12:355-65 pubmed..Therefore, they supposed that the use of salivary phosphate binders could reduce its absorption and represent a chance for reducing the serum phosphate concentration in uremic patients. ..
- Guarneri F, Marini H. Perioral dermatitis after dental filling in a 12-year-old girl: involvement of cholinergic system in skin neuroinflammation?. ScientificWorldJournal. 2008;8:157-63 pubmed publisher..We examined the possible role of these substances as causes of PD, providing new information on the possible cross-talk between neuroimmunodermatology and potential triggers of PD. ..
- Vita R, Lapa D, Vita G, Trimarchi F, Benvenga S. A patient with stress-related onset and exacerbations of Graves disease. Nat Clin Pract Endocrinol Metab. 2009;5:55-61 pubmed publisher..On all three occasions, symptoms were preceded by stressful life events. Further exacerbations were avoided by starting bromazepam treatment soon after the patient experienced stressful events. ..
- Caruso G, Caffo M, Raudino G, Alafaci C, Salpietro F, Tomasello F. Antisense oligonucleotides as innovative therapeutic strategy in the treatment of high-grade gliomas. Recent Pat CNS Drug Discov. 2010;5:53-69 pubmed..We will also report the patents of preclinical and/or clinical studies that adopt the antisense oligonucleotide therapy list in cerebral gliomas. ..
- Spina E, Trifiro G, Caraci F. Clinically significant drug interactions with newer antidepressants. CNS Drugs. 2012;26:39-67 pubmed publisher..Knowledge of the interaction potential of individual antidepressants is essential for safe prescribing and may help clinicians to predict and eventually avoid certain drug combinations. ..
- Fries W, Cottone M, Cascio A. Systematic review: macrophage activation syndrome in inflammatory bowel disease. Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2013;37:1033-45 pubmed publisher..Since immunosuppressive therapy represents the backbone of therapeutic interventions in IBD, with the risk of new, or the reactivation of latent infections, even more frequent cases of macrophage activation syndrome may be expected. ..
- Faldini C, Traina F, Nanni M, Sanzarello I, Borghi R, Perna F. Congenital idiopathic talipes equinovarus before and after walking age: observations and strategy of treatment from a series of 88 cases. J Orthop Traumatol. 2016;17:81-7 pubmed publisher..Conversely, if the deformity is observed after walking age surgery should be considered. Serial casting in cases of late observation and relapse have demonstrated encouraging results. IV. ..
- Costa C, Ozcagli E, Gangemi S, Schembri F, GiambÃ² F, Androutsopoulos V, et al. Molecular biomarkers of oxidative stress and role of dietary factors in gasoline station attendants. Food Chem Toxicol. 2016;90:30-5 pubmed publisher..Moreover, a diet rich in fruits and vegetables demonstrated an inverse association with the levels of oxidative stress markers, suggesting a protective role of antioxidant food intake in workers exposed to oxidant agents. ..
- Espahbodinia M, Ettari R, Wen W, Wu A, Shen Y, Niu L, et al. Development of novel N-3-bromoisoxazolin-5-yl substituted 2,3-benzodiazepines as noncompetitive AMPAR antagonists. Bioorg Med Chem. 2017;25:3631-3637 pubmed publisher..Within this investigation, we identified some active molecules and, among these 2,3-benzodiazepines, 4c showed a much improved inhibitory potency as compared with unsubstituted 2,3-benzodiazepines. ..
- Venza I, Giordano L, Piraino G, Medici N, Ceci G, Teti D. Prostaglandin E2 signalling pathway in human T lymphocytes from healthy and conjunctiva basal cell carcinoma-bearing subjects. Immunol Cell Biol. 2001;79:482-9 pubmed..CREB phosphorylation did not modify after PGE2 treatment whereas the p-CREB fraction bound to CBP increased in a delayed manner compared to normal subjects. ..
- Trovato M, Ulivieri A, Dominici R, Ruggeri R, Vitarelli E, Benvenga S, et al. Clinico-pathological significance of cell-type-specific loss of heterozygosity on chromosome 7q21: analysis of 318 microdissected thyroid lesions. Endocr Relat Cancer. 2004;11:365-76 pubmed..2, in the same position where the common fragile site FRA7E was previously mapped. LOH at this locus represents an early event in the development of follicular TC and is associated with intense growth of thyroid glands. ..
- Benvenga S, Santarpia L, Trimarchi F, Guarneri F. Human thyroid autoantigens and proteins of Yersinia and Borrelia share amino acid sequence homology that includes binding motifs to HLA-DR molecules and T-cell receptor. Thyroid. 2006;16:225-36 pubmed..In conclusion, our in silico data do not directly demonstrate that Borrelia and Yersinia proteins trigger AITD but suggest that a restricted number of them might have the potential to, at least in persons with certain HLA-DR alleles. ..
- Fenga C, Aragona P, Cacciola A, Spinella R, Di Nola C, Ferreri F, et al. Meibomian gland dysfunction and ocular discomfort in video display terminal workers. Eye (Lond). 2008;22:91-5 pubmed..It appears that MGD can contribute to the development of ocular discomfort in VDT operators. ..
- Luigiano C, Consolo P, Scaffidi M, Strangio G, Giacobbe G, Alibrandi A, et al. Endoscopic mucosal resection for large and giant sessile and flat colorectal polyps: a single-center experience with long-term follow-up. Endoscopy. 2009;41:829-35 pubmed publisher..014). In our experience EMR is a simple and safe procedure for removing large and giant sessile and flat colorectal polyps, and is associated with a very low risk of complication and local recurrence. ..
- Cascio A, Giordano S, Dones P, Venezia S, Iaria C, Ziino O. Haemophagocytic syndrome and rickettsial diseases. J Med Microbiol. 2011;60:537-42 pubmed publisher..The characteristics of this case have been analysed and contextualized among those of another 15 cases of haemophagocytic syndrome associated with rickettsial diseases found through a systematic review of the international literature. ..
- Ando G, Capodanno D. Radial Access Reduces Mortality in Patients With Acute Coronary Syndromes: Results From an Updated Trial Sequential Analysis of Randomized Trials. JACC Cardiovasc Interv. 2016;9:660-70 pubmed publisher..This benefit is paralleled by consistent reductions in major adverse cardiovascular events and major bleeding, supporting radial access as the default strategy for cardiac catheterization in patients with ACS. ..
- Rigoli L, Chimenz R, di Bella C, Cavallaro E, Caruso R, Briuglia S, et al. Angiotensin-converting enzyme and angiotensin type 2 receptor gene genotype distributions in Italian children with congenital uropathies. Pediatr Res. 2004;56:988-93 pubmed..Moreover, a major role of the AT2R gene in the development of CAKUT has been found, at least in Italian children. ..
- Trovato M, Vitarelli E, Grosso M, Alesci S, Benvenga S, Trimarchi F, et al. Immunohistochemical expression of HGF, c-MET and transcription factor STAT3 in colorectal tumors. Eur J Histochem. 2004;48:291-7 pubmed..These features, suggesting a role of the HGF/c-met/STAT3 signal in colon tumorigenesis, indicate that a reduced expression of HGF and c-met is associated to progression of adenoma into carcinoma. ..
- Calabro M, Tommasini S, Donato P, Stancanelli R, Raneri D, Catania S, et al. The rutin/beta-cyclodextrin interactions in fully aqueous solution: spectroscopic studies and biological assays. J Pharm Biomed Anal. 2005;36:1019-27 pubmed
- Morandi B, Mortara L, Carrega P, Cantoni C, Costa G, Accolla R, et al. NK cells provide helper signal for CD8+ T cells by inducing the expression of membrane-bound IL-15 on DCs. Int Immunol. 2009;21:599-606 pubmed publisher..Remarkably, we show that DC expression of this membrane-bound form of IL-15, which is only partially associated with IL-15R molecules, is essential to promote specific CD8(+) T lymphocyte response in the absence of DC-derived IL-12. ..
- Barresi V, Reggiani Bonetti L, Di Gregorio C, de Leon M, Barresi G. Lymphatic vessel density and its prognostic value in stage I colorectal carcinoma. J Clin Pathol. 2011;64:6-12 pubmed publisher..Since P-LVD seems to show a VEGF-A mediated regulation in stage I colorectal cancer, therapies targeting this factor might be exploited to reduce lymphangiogenesis and the progression risk of this neoplasia. ..
- Melchini A, Catania S, Stancanelli R, Tommasini S, Costa C. Interaction of a functionalized complex of the flavonoid hesperetin with the AhR pathway and CYP1A1 expression: involvement in its protective effects against benzo[a]pyrene-induced oxidative stress in human skin. Cell Biol Toxicol. 2011;27:371-9 pubmed publisher..001). Experimental evidences provided from this study suggest significant preventive properties of HE/HP-?-CyD in the toxicity caused by environmental carcinogens such as PAHs. ..
- CampennÃ¬ A, Ruggeri R, Sindoni A, Giovinazzo S, Calbo L, Ieni A, et al. Parathyroid carcinoma as a challenging diagnosis: report of three cases. Hormones (Athens). 2012;11:368-76 pubmed
- Stancanelli C, Taioli F, Testi S, Fabrizi G, Arena M, Granata F, et al. Unusual features of central nervous system involvement in CMTX associated with a novel mutation of GJB1 gene. J Peripher Nerv Syst. 2012;17:407-11 pubmed publisher..Thus, this novel mutation should be added to the group of CX32 mutations with a central nervous system phenotype. ..
- Papasergi S, Lanza Cariccio V, Pietrocola G, Domina M, D Aliberti D, Trunfio M, et al. Immunogenic properties of Streptococcus agalactiae FbsA fragments. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e75266 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that FbsA-Fng interaction promotes GBS pathogenesis and that blocking such interaction is a viable strategy to prevent or treat GBS infections. ..
- Cejalvo J, MartÃnez de DueÃ±as E, GalvÃ¡n P, GarcÃa Recio S, BurguÃ©s GasiÃ³n O, ParÃ© L, et al. Intrinsic Subtypes and Gene Expression Profiles in Primary and Metastatic Breast Cancer. Cancer Res. 2017;77:2213-2221 pubmed publisher..i>Cancer Res; 77(9); 2213-21. Â©2017 AACR. ..
- Ruggeri C, Tulino V, Foti T, Carcione L, Vita D, Visalli C, et al. [Brucellosis and splenic infarction: a case in pediatric age]. Minerva Pediatr. 2001;53:577-9 pubmed..Serum and culture exams confirmed the diagnosis of brucellosis. The patient recovered once a course of antibiotic therapy was completed, after 2 and half months. ..
- Arena F, Nicotina A, Cruccetti A, Centonze A, Arena S, Romeo G. Can histologic changes of the upper pole justify a conservative approach in neonatal duplex ectopic ureterocele?. Pediatr Surg Int. 2002;18:681-4 pubmed..Considering this findings and the good outcome of patients treated with upper-pole nephroureterectomy, less aggressive surgery with preservation of the upper pole does not seem justified...
- Di Rosa G, Spano M, Pustorino G, Ferrari M, Stam A, Sgrò D, et al. Alternating hemiplegia of childhood successfully treated with topiramate: 18 months of follow-up. Neurology. 2006;66:146 pubmed
- Anastasi G, Cutroneo G, Santoro G, Arco A, Rizzo G, Bramanti P, et al. Costameric proteins in human skeletal muscle during muscular inactivity. J Anat. 2008;213:284-95 pubmed publisher..In this way, the viability of the skeletal muscle fibre is maintained. It will be interesting to clarify, by future experimentation, the mechanisms that lead to the down-regulation of integrins and agrin in muscular dystrophies. ..
- Sciortino M, Medici M, Marino Merlo F, Zaccaria D, Giuffr Cuculletto M, Venuti A, et al. Involvement of HVEM receptor in activation of nuclear factor kappaB by herpes simplex virus 1 glycoprotein D. Cell Microbiol. 2008;10:2297-311 pubmed publisher..Overall, these results establish that HVEM is involved in NF-kappaB activation by HSV-1 gD...
- Wasniewska M, Salerno M, Cassio A, Corrias A, Aversa T, Zirilli G, et al. Prospective evaluation of the natural course of idiopathic subclinical hypothyroidism in childhood and adolescence. Eur J Endocrinol. 2009;160:417-21 pubmed publisher..To prospectively evaluate the course of subclinical hypothyroidism (SH) in children and adolescents with no underlying diseases and no risk factors, which might interfere with the progression of SH...
- d Alcontres F, Cuccia G, Lupo F, Delia G, Romeo M. The orbicularis oculi muscle flap: its use for treatment of lagophthalmos and a review of its use for other applications. J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg. 2010;63:416-22 pubmed publisher..The incision scars were almost invisible. The authors believe that the switching of upper blepharoplasty technique from the upper eyelid to the paralysed and scarred lower lid can be used as a tool to treat lagophthalmos. ..
- Caccamo D, Currò M, Condello S, Ferlazzo N, Ientile R. Critical role of transglutaminase and other stress proteins during neurodegenerative processes. Amino Acids. 2010;38:653-8 pubmed publisher..Further studies are needed to validate leading hypotheses and to open new prospects for developing therapeutic tools. ..
- D Anna R, Baviera G, Giordano D, Todarello G, Russo S, Recupero S, et al. Neutrophil gelatinase-associated lipocalin serum evaluation through normal pregnancy and in pregnancies complicated by preeclampsia. Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 2010;89:275-8 pubmed publisher..3-23.3; p < 0.001); and in the third trimester: 57.2 ng/mL (IQR 18.7-70.9) versus 15.8 ng/mL (IQR 9.1-22.5; p < 0.001). NGAL serum values were positively correlated with systolic and diastolic blood pressure and with proteinuria. ..
- Barresi V, Ieni A, Bolignano D, Magno C, Buemi M, Barresi G. Neutrophil gelatinase-associated lipocalin immunoexpression in renal tumors: correlation with histotype and histological grade. Oncol Rep. 2010;24:305-10 pubmed..Further studies are required to investigate the potential diagnostic utility of NGAL in the early diagnosis of metastatic progression of RCC. ..
- Bruno A, Micò U, Pandolfo G, Mallamace D, Abenavoli E, Di Nardo F, et al. Lamotrigine augmentation of serotonin reuptake inhibitors in treatment-resistant obsessive-compulsive disorder: a double-blind, placebo-controlled study. J Psychopharmacol. 2012;26:1456-62 pubmed publisher..004). The findings provide evidence that lamotrigine augmentation of SRI treatment is well tolerated and may be proposed as an effective therapeutic strategy to improve outcome in treatment-resistant OCD. ..
- Gorgone G, Currò M, Ferlazzo N, Parisi G, Parnetti L, Belcastro V, et al. Coenzyme Q10, hyperhomocysteinemia and MTHFR C677T polymorphism in levodopa-treated Parkinson's disease patients. Neuromolecular Med. 2012;14:84-90 pubmed publisher..0001) with the %CoQ10 in PD patients. Our results suggest that increased Hcy levels act as mediator of the systemic oxidative stress occurring in PD, and %CoQ10 determination might be regarded as a predictor of toxic Hcy effects. ..
- Miroddi M, Carnì A, Mannucci C, Moleti M, Navarra M, Calapai G. Hot flashes in a young girl: a wake-up call concerning Serenoa repens use in children. Pediatrics. 2012;130:e1374-6 pubmed publisher..Medicinal products or food supplements containing S repens are generally well tolerated in male adults, but we believe that their use in pediatric patients should be better evaluated...
- Gallieni M, De Luca N, Santoro D, Meneghel G, Formica M, Grandaliano G, et al. Management of CKD-MBD in non-dialysis patients under regular nephrology care: a prospective multicenter study. J Nephrol. 2016;29:71-8 pubmed publisher..One-third of patients with at least one MBD parameter not-at-target remained untreated. Therapeutic inertia regarding CKD-MBD treatment may be a major barrier to optimizing the prevention and cure of CKD-MBD. ..
- Quartarone A, Sant Angelo A, Battaglia F, Bagnato S, Rizzo V, Morgante F, et al. Enhanced long-term potentiation-like plasticity of the trigeminal blink reflex circuit in blepharospasm. J Neurosci. 2006;26:716-21 pubmed..BTX treatment removes the latter and restores plasticity toward normal values. Our results support the concept that maladaptive reorganization contributes to the pathophysiology of focal dystonias...
- Le Donne M, Settineri S, Benvenga S. Early pospartum alexithymia and risk for depression: relationship with serum thyrotropin, free thyroid hormones and thyroid autoantibodies. Psychoneuroendocrinology. 2012;37:519-33 pubmed publisher..We conclude that PPD risk and alexithymia (i) are partly comorbid and directly associated with thyroid autoimmunity; (ii) their association with serum free thyroid hormones and with FT4:FT3 ratio goes in opposite directions. ..
- Russo M, De Luca R, Naro A, Sciarrone F, Aragona B, Silvestri G, et al. Does body shadow improve the efficacy of virtual reality-based training with BTS NIRVANA?: A pilot study. Medicine (Baltimore). 2017;96:e8096 pubmed publisher..Further studies are needed to clarify the role of body shadow in promoting the internal representation construction and thus self-recognition. ..
- Bitto A, Polito F, Squadrito F, Marini H, D Anna R, Irrera N, et al. Genistein aglycone: a dual mode of action anti-osteoporotic soy isoflavone rebalancing bone turnover towards bone formation. Curr Med Chem. 2010;17:3007-18 pubmed..The positive results achieved by genistein aglycone intake, in terms of efficacy and safety, have stimulated the development of specially formulated medical food products for the clinical management of postmenopausal bone loss. ..
- Pajno G, Caminiti L, Ruggeri P, De Luca R, Vita D, La Rosa M, et al. Oral immunotherapy for cow's milk allergy with a weekly up-dosing regimen: a randomized single-blind controlled study. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2010;105:376-81 pubmed publisher..Cow's milk allergy (CMA) in children is a important problem in medical practice. Oral desensitization has been proposed as a therapeutic approach, but current protocols are time-consuming and impractical...
- Vriz O, Zito C, Di Bello V, La Carrubba S, Driussi C, Carerj S, et al. Non-invasive one-point carotid wave intensity in a large group of healthy subjects: A ventricular-arterial coupling parameter. Heart Vessels. 2016;31:360-9 pubmed publisher..We reported the values and their clinical correlations of the two peaks (W 1 and W 2) of WI, a non-invasive hemodynamic index for assessing ventricular-arterial coupling in a large group of apparently healthy subjects. ..
- Russo G, Giandalia A, Romeo E, Scarcella C, Gambadoro N, Zingale R, et al. Diabetic neuropathy is not associated with homocysteine, folate, vitamin B12 levels, and MTHFR C677T mutation in type 2 diabetic outpatients taking metformin. J Endocrinol Invest. 2016;39:305-14 pubmed publisher..Metformin therapy is associated with a mild vitamin B12 level reduction, but not with DPN. ..
- Reimondo G, Puglisi S, Zaggia B, Basile V, Saba L, Perotti P, et al. Effects of mitotane on the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis in patients with adrenocortical carcinoma. Eur J Endocrinol. 2017;177:361-367 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, the present study shows that mitotane affects the HPA axis at multiple levels and no single biomarker may be used for the assessment of adrenal insufficiency. ..
- Bolignano D, Lacquaniti A, Coppolino G, Campo S, Arena A, Buemi M. Neutrophil gelatinase-associated lipocalin reflects the severity of renal impairment in subjects affected by chronic kidney disease. Kidney Blood Press Res. 2008;31:255-8 pubmed publisher..The results confirm NGAL as an important biomarker in clinical nephrology, extending to CKD the pathophysiological role of this protein in tubular adaptations to renal damage. ..
- Meo A, Cassinerio E, Castelli R, Bignamini D, Perego L, Cappellini M. Effect of hydroxyurea on extramedullary haematopoiesis in thalassaemia intermedia: case reports and literature review. Int J Lab Hematol. 2008;30:425-31 pubmed publisher..Both patients showed a clinical improvement with hydroxyurea therapy and occasional blood transfusions...
- Caruso C, Le Donne M, Antico F, De Meo L, La Spada R, Arrigo A, et al. Colposcopy vs Hybrid Capture II assay in detection of cervical human papilloma virus infection. Eur J Gynaecol Oncol. 2005;26:303-5 pubmed..There are necessary further studies to interpretate both the advantages and disadvantages of intermediate triage procedures, like Hybrid Capture II testing, compared with immediate colposcopy. ..
- Caliri A, De Filippis L, Bagnato G, Bagnato G. Osteoporotic fractures: mortality and quality of life. Panminerva Med. 2007;49:21-7 pubmed..To reduce mortality, attention must focus on optimising health status preoperatively, preventing postoperative complications, and, when these complications develop, providing optimal specialist medical care. ..
- Toscano A, Schoser B. Enzyme replacement therapy in late-onset Pompe disease: a systematic literature review. J Neurol. 2013;260:951-9 pubmed publisher..Further research is required to investigate factors such as age at diagnosis, phenotypic presentation, and genotypic characteristics, identification of which may enable better clinical and therapeutic management of LOPD patients. ..
- Arrigo T, Chirico V, Salpietro V, Munafò C, Ferrau V, Gitto E, et al. High-mobility group protein B1: a new biomarker of metabolic syndrome in obese children. Eur J Endocrinol. 2013;168:631-8 pubmed publisher..HMGB1 plays an important role in the inflammatory process associated with childhood obesity. This peptide may be an important diagnostic marker for obesity-related complications, such as MS. ..
- Sardo M, Campo S, Bonaiuto M, Bonaiuto A, Saitta C, Trimarchi G, et al. Antioxidant effect of atorvastatin is independent of PON1 gene T(-107)C, Q192R and L55M polymorphisms in hypercholesterolaemic patients. Curr Med Res Opin. 2005;21:777-84 pubmed..These results show, for the first time, that atorvastatin is able to improve the resistance to LDL oxidation independently of PON1 gene polymorphism. ..
- Benvenga S. Solution of a Diagnostic Problem upon Visiting the Patient at Home and Reading their Medication Leaflet. Endocr Pract. 2014;20:517 pubmed
- LaganÃ A, Burgio M, Retto G, Pizzo A, Granese R, Sturlese E, et al. Management of the second phase of labour: perineum protection techniques. Minerva Ginecol. 2015;67:289-96 pubmed..Increasingly, there is the need for close collaboration between the midwife and medical staff to ensure proper personalized assistance based on the peculiar characteristics of the woman and the fetus. ..
- Vecchio F, Miraglia F, Quaranta D, Granata G, Romanello R, Marra C, et al. Cortical connectivity and memory performance in cognitive decline: A study via graph theory from EEG data. Neuroscience. 2016;316:143-50 pubmed publisher..Such Small World pattern might represent a biomarker of working memory impairment in older people both in physiological and pathological conditions. ..
- Gammeri E, Arena A, D Anneo R, La Grutta S. Safety and tolerability of ultra-rush (20 minutes) sublingual immunotherapy in patients with allergic rhinitis and/or asthma. Allergol Immunopathol (Madr). 2005;33:221-3 pubmed
- Santarpia L, Valenzise M, Di Pasquale G, Arrigo T, San Martino G, Cicciò M, et al. TTF-2/FOXE1 gene polymorphisms in Sicilian patients with permanent primary congenital hypothyroidism. J Endocrinol Invest. 2007;30:13-9 pubmed
- Morgante F, Edwards M, Espay A, Fasano A, Mir P, Martino D. Diagnostic agreement in patients with psychogenic movement disorders. Mov Disord. 2012;27:548-52 pubmed publisher..Diagnosis according to clinical available criteria for PMD yields poor diagnostic agreement. ..
- Nicita Mauro V, Maltese G, Nicita Mauro C, Lasco A, Basile G. Non smoking for successful aging: therapeutic perspectives. Curr Pharm Des. 2010;16:775-82 pubmed..The most effective smoking cessation programs involve a combination of pharmacotherapy and behavioural and/or cognitive counselling to improve abstinence rates. ..
- Morabito R, Condello S, Currò M, Marino A, Ientile R, La Spada G. Oxidative stress induced by crude venom from the jellyfish Pelagia noctiluca in neuronal-like differentiated SH-SY5Y cells. Toxicol In Vitro. 2012;26:694-9 pubmed publisher..In sum, our findings suggest that P. noctiluca crude venom directly induces ??m collapse with further generation of ROS and add novel information to the understanding of such toxins, still not completely clarified. ..