Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on humans in Messina, Sicily, Italy
Locale: Messina, Sicily, Italy
Publications305 found, 100 shown here
- Calimeri S, Capua A, La Fauci V, Squeri R, Grillo O, Lo Giudice D. Prevalence of serum anti-rubella virus antibodies among pregnant women in southern Italy. Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2012;116:211-3 pubmed publisher..Increased involvement and collaboration by all healthcare workers are, therefore, required to disseminate the information necessary to prevent CRS. ..
- Galuppo M, Nicola G, Iori R, Dell utri P, Bramanti P, Mazzon E. Antibacterial activity of glucomoringin bioactivated with myrosinase against two important pathogens affecting the health of long-term patients in hospitals. Molecules. 2013;18:14340-8 pubmed publisher..aureus BAA-977 strain and E. casseliflavus to GMG-ITC treatment reveals an important possible application of this molecule in the clinical care of patients, more and more often resistant to traditional therapies. ..
- Ieni A, Barresi V, Rigoli L, Fedele F, Tuccari G, Caruso R. Morphological and Cellular Features of Innate Immune Reaction in Helicobacter pylori Gastritis: A Brief Review. Int J Mol Sci. 2016;17: pubmed publisher..The aim of the present review is to discuss the role of cellular morphological effectors in innate immunity during H. pylori infection and gastric carcinogenesis. ..
- Messina S, Vita G, Sframeli M, Mondello S, Mazzone E, D Amico A, et al. Health-related quality of life and functional changes in DMD: A 12-month longitudinal cohort study. Neuromuscul Disord. 2016;26:189-96 pubmed publisher..Further studies comparing different tools are needed to better elucidate the complexity of the relationship between HRQOL and functional performances. ..
- Famà F, Giacobbe G, Cintolo M, Gioffrè Florio M, Pallio S, Consolo P. A Lower Gastrointestinal Bleeding Due to a Post-Traumatic Splenosis: "Wait and See" Represents a Feasible Attitude: A Case Report. Medicine (Baltimore). 2016;95:e3555 pubmed publisher..The patient was discharged on the ninth day and currently he is doing well.This case shows that wait and see could prove a feasible attitude for the management of clinically stable patients. ..
- Manganaro R, Mami C, Palmara A, Paolata A, Gemelli M. Incidence of meconium aspiration syndrome in term meconium-stained babies managed at birth with selective tracheal intubation. J Perinat Med. 2001;29:465-8 pubmed..Only one of the MSAF infants (0.28%), who needed intubation, developed MAS. Identification of postterm pregnancy and prenatal asphyxia is the best prevention of MAS. ..
- Pajno G, Passalacqua G, Vita D, Caminiti L, Parmiani S, Barberio G. Sublingual immunotherapy abrogates seasonal bronchial hyperresponsiveness in children with Parietaria-induced respiratory allergy: a randomized controlled trial. Allergy. 2004;59:883-7 pubmed..Sublingual immunotherapy (SLIT) may represent an advance, due to the good safety profile, but little is known about its effects on lung function and nonspecific bronchial responsiveness...
- Quartarone A, Siebner H, Rothwell J. Task-specific hand dystonia: can too much plasticity be bad for you?. Trends Neurosci. 2006;29:192-9 pubmed..Deficient homeostatic control might be an important mechanism that triggers maladaptive reorganization and produces symptoms of occupational hand dystonias. ..
- Barresi V, Tuccari G, Barresi G. Adiponectin immunohistochemical expression in colorectal cancer and its correlation with histological grade and tumour microvessel density. Pathology. 2009;41:533-8 pubmed..Nonetheless the significance of the prevalent expression of this cytokine in high-grade colorectal carcinomas needs to be elucidated before considering the use of ApN analogues as novel possible anti-tumour agents. ..
- Raimondo G, Pollicino T, Romano L, Zanetti A. A 2010 update on occult hepatitis B infection. Pathol Biol (Paris). 2010;58:254-7 pubmed publisher..In addition, OBI is supposed to be an important risk factor to HCC development since it maintains the pro-oncogenic properties typical of the overt infection. ..
- Cannavo S, Ferrau F, Ragonese M, Curto L, Torre M, Magistri M, et al. Increased prevalence of acromegaly in a highly polluted area. Eur J Endocrinol. 2010;163:509-13 pubmed publisher..03; P<0.0014). This study confirms the prevalence of acromegaly reported recently. The increased risk of developing this disease in area D suggests that the pathogenetic role of environmental context needs to be better evaluated. ..
- Barresi V, Vitarelli E, Tuccari G, Barresi G. MMP-9 expression in meningiomas: a prognostic marker for recurrence risk?. J Neurooncol. 2011;102:189-96 pubmed publisher..Inhibition of MMP-9 may be a new therapeutic strategy to prevent recurrences of meningiomas, particularly the high-grade type...
- Bertuccio M, Spataro P, Caruso C, Picerno I. Detection of human papillomavirus E6/E7 mRNA in women with high-risk HPV types 16, 18, 31, 33 and 45 which are associated with the development of human cervical cancer. Eur J Gynaecol Oncol. 2011;32:62-4 pubmed..Our data suggest that a structural difference at codon 72 of the p53 gene may not be a sufficient risk factor for cervical carcinogenesis. ..
- Barresi V, Reggiani Bonetti L, Branca G, Di Gregorio C, Ponz de Leon M, Tuccari G. Colorectal carcinoma grading by quantifying poorly differentiated cell clusters is more reproducible and provides more robust prognostic information than conventional grading. Virchows Arch. 2012;461:621-8 pubmed publisher
- Calabrò R, Gervasi G, Baglieri A, Furnari A, Marino S, Bramanti P. Is high oral dose L-arginine intake effective in leukoaraiosis? Preliminary data, study protocol and expert's opinion. Curr Aging Sci. 2013;6:170-7 pubmed..Aim of our protocol is to evaluate the effect of long-term oral administration of high-dose L-arginine (6 g/day at least for 24 months) on white matter lesions and neurological and cognitive functions...
- Mandalari G, Arcoraci T, Martorana M, Bisignano C, Rizza L, Bonina F, et al. Antioxidant and photoprotective effects of blanch water, a byproduct of the almond processing industry. Molecules. 2013;18:12426-40 pubmed publisher..The percentage inhibition of erythema obtained using a formulation of BW was 50.48, value clearly demonstrating an effect against photooxidative damage in vivo. ..
- Arena S, Impellizzeri P, Perrone P, Scalfari G, Centorrino A, Turiaco N, et al. Our Experience in Transcrotal Orchidopexy in Children Affected by Palpable Undescended Testis. Eur J Pediatr Surg. 2016;26:13-6 pubmed publisher..Our data confirm that transcrotal orchidopexy can be considered effective, safe, and with a success rate being equivalent or better to classical inguinal approach. ..
- Viazzi F, Piscitelli P, Giorda C, Ceriello A, Genovese S, Russo G, et al. Metabolic syndrome, serum uric acid and renal risk in patients with T2D. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0176058 pubmed publisher..25, p = 0.005) as compared to the reference group. HU and Mets are independent predictors of CKD and its individual components in patients with T2D. ..
- Rajan R, Popa T, Quartarone A, Ghilardi M, Kishore A. Cortical plasticity and levodopa-induced dyskinesias in Parkinson's disease: Connecting the dots in a multicomponent network. Clin Neurophysiol. 2017;128:992-999 pubmed publisher..Targeting the cerebellum seems to be a justified approach for future interventions aimed at attenuating levodopa-induced dyskinesias. ..
- Grenga P, Fragiotta S, Cutini A, Meduri A, Vingolo E. Microperimetric evaluation in patients with adult-onset foveomacular vitelliform dystrophy. Indian J Ophthalmol. 2017;65:385-389 pubmed publisher..Fixation stability measurement using BCEA demonstrates good evaluation of visual performance integrating traditional functional parameters. It may also serve for further rehabilitative purposes in atrophic eyes. ..
- Aquaro G, Perfetti M, Camastra G, Monti L, Dellegrottaglie S, Moro C, et al. Cardiac MR With Late Gadolinium Enhancement in Acute Myocarditis With Preserved Systolic Function: ITAMY Study. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2017;70:1977-1987 pubmed publisher..The prognostic role of cardiac magnetic resonance (CMR) and late gadolinium enhancement (LGE) has not been clarified in acute myocarditis (AM) with preserved left ventricular (LV) ejection fraction (EF)...
- Campo S, Sardo M, Trimarchi G, Bonaiuto M, Castaldo M, Fontana L, et al. The paraoxonase promoter polymorphism (-107)T>C is not associated with carotid intima-media thickness in Sicilian hypercholesterolemic patients. Clin Biochem. 2004;37:388-94 pubmed
- Buemi M, Galeano M, Sturiale A, Ientile R, Crisafulli C, Parisi A, et al. Recombinant human erythropoietin stimulates angiogenesis and healing of ischemic skin wounds. Shock. 2004;22:169-73 pubmed..Our results suggest that erythropoietin may be an effective therapeutic approach in improving healing in ischemic skin wounds. ..
- Cardali S, Maugeri R. Detection of alphaII-spectrin and breakdown products in humans after severe traumatic brain injury. J Neurosurg Sci. 2006;50:25-31 pubmed..Moreover, the temporal profile of degradation may be an important indicator of clinical outcome. ..
- Minciullo P, Fazio E, Patafi M, Gangemi S. Allergic contact dermatitis due to Zantedeschia aethiopica. Contact Dermatitis. 2007;56:46-7 pubmed
- Recupero A, Pugliatti P, Rizzo F, Carerj S, Cavalli G, de Gregorio C, et al. Persistent left-sided superior vena cava: integrated noninvasive diagnosis. Echocardiography. 2007;24:982-6 pubmed..In 4 cases the PLSVC was isolated ("alone PLSVC"), and in 1 case associated with a right superior vena cava. ..
- Nostro A, Marino A, Blanco A, Cellini L, Di Giulio M, Pizzimenti F, et al. In vitro activity of carvacrol against staphylococcal preformed biofilm by liquid and vapour contact. J Med Microbiol. 2009;58:791-7 pubmed publisher..The findings of this investigation suggest a potential application for carvacrol in the inactivation of staphylococcal biofilms. ..
- Raffone E, Rizzo P, Benedetto V. Insulin sensitiser agents alone and in co-treatment with r-FSH for ovulation induction in PCOS women. Gynecol Endocrinol. 2010;26:275-80 pubmed publisher..9%). The total pregnancy rate was 48.4%. Both metformin and MYO, can be considered as first line treatment for restoring normal menstrual cycles in most patients with PCOS, even if MYO treatment seems to be more effective than metformin. ..
- Bitto A, Polito F, Atteritano M, Altavilla D, Mazzaferro S, Marini H, et al. Genistein aglycone does not affect thyroid function: results from a three-year, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2010;95:3067-72 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that genistein aglycone intake does not significantly increase the risk of clinical or subclinical hypothyroidism at the dose of 54 mg/d. ..
- Sturniolo G, Mondello P, Bruno S, Bonfatto O, Frattima S, Albanese A, et al. Neurobrucellosis associated with syndrome of inappropriate antidiuretic hormone with resultant diabetes insipidus and hypothyroidism. J Clin Microbiol. 2010;48:3806-9 pubmed publisher..Neurobrucellosis, although rare, should be considered in cases of neurological disease of unknown etiology...
- Lasco A, Morabito N, Basile G, Atteritano M, Gaudio A, Giorgianni G, et al. Denosumab Inhibition of RANKL and Insulin Resistance in Postmenopausal Women with Osteoporosis. Calcif Tissue Int. 2016;98:123-8 pubmed publisher..In osteoporotic otherwise healthy postmenopausal women, denosumab was not associated with relevant modification of insulin resistance and lipid profile. ..
- Conti A, Miscusi M, Cardali S, Germanò A, Suzuki H, Cuzzocrea S, et al. Nitric oxide in the injured spinal cord: synthases cross-talk, oxidative stress and inflammation. Brain Res Rev. 2007;54:205-18 pubmed
- Macaione F, Barison A, Pescetelli I, Pali F, Pizzino F, Terrizzi A, et al. Quantitative criteria for the diagnosis of the congenital absence of pericardium by cardiac magnetic resonance. Eur J Radiol. 2016;85:616-24 pubmed publisher..In LCAP the systo-diastolic WHVC was significantly higher than controls, DCM, HCM and RVO patients and resulted an optimal quantitative criteria for the diagnosis of LCAP. ..
- D AMICO D, Vaccaro M, Guarneri F, Borgia F, Cannavo S, Guarneri B. Phototrichogram using videomicroscopy: a useful technique in the evaluation of scalp hair. Eur J Dermatol. 2001;11:17-20 pubmed
- Marini H, Bitto A, Altavilla D, Burnett B, Polito F, Di Stefano V, et al. Breast safety and efficacy of genistein aglycone for postmenopausal bone loss: a follow-up study. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2008;93:4787-96 pubmed publisher..There were no differences in discomfort or adverse events between groups. After 3 yr of treatment, genistein exhibited a promising safety profile with positive effects on bone formation in a cohort of osteopenic, postmenopausal women. ..
- Benedetto F, La Spada M, Stilo F, De Caridi G, Cotroneo A, Passari G, et al. Endovascular repair in atypical traumatic rupture of thoracic aorta. G Chir. 2008;29:429-31 pubmed..The traumatic rupture of thoracic aorta is a surgical emergency with high risk of morbidity and mortality...
- Vaccaro M, Guarneri F, Barbuzza O, Gaeta M, Guarneri C. A familial case of trichorhinophalangeal syndrome type I. Pediatr Dermatol. 2009;26:171-5 pubmed publisher..We describe three members of a family who consulted us because of slow-growing scalp hair with craniofacial and radiological features typical of TRPS I. ..
- Gitto E, Pellegrino S, D Arrigo S, Barberi I, Reiter R. Oxidative stress in resuscitation and in ventilation of newborns. Eur Respir J. 2009;34:1461-9 pubmed publisher..In this review, the authors summarise the scientific evidence concerning oxidative stress as it relates to resuscitation in the delivery room and to the various modalities of ventilation. ..
- Ceresa F, Sansone F, Rinaldi M, Patanè F. Left atrial paraganglioma: diagnosis and surgical management. Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg. 2010;10:1047-8 pubmed publisher..The patient was discharged without complications and currently enjoys good health...
- Pollicino T, Raffa G, Santantonio T, Gaeta G, Iannello G, Alibrandi A, et al. Replicative and transcriptional activities of hepatitis B virus in patients coinfected with hepatitis B and hepatitis delta viruses. J Virol. 2011;85:432-9 pubmed publisher..These findings provide significant information about the interference exerted by HDV on HBV replication and transcription activities in the human liver. ..
- Ruggeri R, Smedile G, Granata F, Longo M, CannaÃÃ² S, Sarlis N, et al. Spontaneous recovery from isolated post-traumatic central hypogonadism in a woman. Hormones (Athens). 2010;9:332-7 pubmed..Our case shows that spontaneous resolution of post-head trauma anterior hypopituitarism occur even many years after head injury. Medicolegal implications are self-evident. ..
- Biondo C, Signorino G, Costa A, Midiri A, Gerace E, Galbo R, et al. Recognition of yeast nucleic acids triggers a host-protective type I interferon response. Eur J Immunol. 2011;41:1969-79 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that recognition of yeast nucleic acids by TLR7 and TLR9 triggers a host-protective IFN-?/? response. ..
- Conti A, Pontoriero A, Arpa D, Siragusa C, Tomasello C, Romanelli P, et al. Efficacy and toxicity of CyberKnife re-irradiation and "dose dense" temozolomide for recurrent gliomas. Acta Neurochir (Wien). 2012;154:203-9 pubmed publisher..The combination with TMZ improved patients' outcomes with OS and 6-month PFS that favorably compares with alternative treatments, but the incidence of major adverse effects was >40%. Further studies are warranted. ..
- Minutoli L, Bitto A, Squadrito F, Marini H, Irrera N, Morgia G, et al. Serenoa Repens, lycopene and selenium: a triple therapeutic approach to manage benign prostatic hyperplasia. Curr Med Chem. 2013;20:1306-12 pubmed..Therefore, SeR particularly when combined with Se and Ly may have a greater potential for the management of benign prostate hyperplasia...
- Caminiti L, Salzano G, Crisafulli G, Porcaro F, Pajno G. Food protein induced enterocolitis syndrome caused by rice beverage. Ital J Pediatr. 2013;39:31 pubmed publisher..For this reason, the use of rice beverage as cow's milk substitute for the treatment of non IgE-mediated food allergy should be avoided. ..
- Caffo M, Germano A, Caruso G, Meli F, Galatioto S, Sciacca M, et al. An immunohistochemical study of extracellular matrix proteins laminin, fibronectin and type IV collagen in paediatric glioblastoma multiforme. Acta Neurochir (Wien). 2004;146:1113-8; discussion 1118 pubmed..However, few studies have evaluated tumour cell's interaction with specific extracellular matrix (ECM) components, and, moreover, there is a lack of information regarding the occurrence of these phenomena in paediatric GBM...
- Nostro A, Cellini L, Di Bartolomeo S, Di Campli E, Grande R, Cannatelli M, et al. Antibacterial effect of plant extracts against Helicobacter pylori. Phytother Res. 2005;19:198-202 pubmed..pylori that could be considered a valuable support in the treatment of the infection and may contribute to the development of new and safe agents for inclusion in anti-H. pylori regimens. ..
- La Rosa G, Cacciola F, Conti A, Cardali S, La Torre D, Gambadauro N, et al. Posterior fusion compared with posterior interbody fusion in segmental spinal fixation for adult spondylolisthesis. Neurosurg Focus. 2001;10:E9 pubmed..When the two fusion techniques were compared, an overall superior reliability and resistance of the systems was associated with the PLIF procedure (p = 0.04) but clinical outcomes did not differ greatly (p < 0.05). ..
- Pandolfo I, Vinci S, Salamone I, Granata F, Mazziotti S. Evaluation of the anterior ethmoidal artery by 3D dual volume rotational digital subtraction angiography and native multidetector CT with multiplanar reformations. Initial findings. Eur Radiol. 2007;17:1584-90 pubmed
- Macaione V, Aguennouz M, Rodolico C, Mazzeo A, Patti A, Cannistraci E, et al. RAGE-NF-kappaB pathway activation in response to oxidative stress in facioscapulohumeral muscular dystrophy. Acta Neurol Scand. 2007;115:115-21 pubmed..Oxidative stress can stimulate RAGE- NF-kappaB pathway. Our purpose was to verify if oxidative stress may induce RAGE- NF-kappaB pathway activation in FSHD, contributing to the pathogenesis of such a disease...
- Iaria C, Arena L, Di Maio G, Fracassi M, Leonardi M, Famulari C, et al. Acute acalculous cholecystitis during the course of primary Epstein-Barr virus infection: a new case and a review of the literature. Int J Infect Dis. 2008;12:391-5 pubmed..The aim of this study was to describe a case of acute acalculous cholecystitis occurring in the course of primary Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) infection...
- de Vivo A, Baviera G, Giordano D, Todarello G, Corrado F, D Anna R. Endoglin, PlGF and sFlt-1 as markers for predicting pre-eclampsia. Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 2008;87:837-42 pubmed publisher..5% for sFlt-1:PlGF using a cut-off of 38.47. Endoglin, PlGF and sFlt-1 might be used as markers for predicting pre-eclampsia, but sFlt-1:PlGF seems to be more accurate. ..
- Calabrò R, Bramanti P, Italiano D, Ferlazzo E. Topiramate-induced erectile dysfunction. Epilepsy Behav. 2009;14:560-1 pubmed publisher..Described here is a case of topiramate-induced reversible erectile dysfunction in which possible pathogenetic mechanisms were excluded by use of appropriate psychological, neurophysiological, ultrasound, and laboratory tests. ..
- Bolignano D, Coppolino G, Donato V, Lacquaniti A, Bono C, Buemi M. Neutrophil gelatinase-associated lipocalin (NGAL): a new piece of the anemia puzzle?. Med Sci Monit. 2010;16:RA131-5 pubmed..From this point of view, NGAL may thus become an alternative therapeutic target for improving the treatment of secondary anemia related to these conditions. ..
- Condello S, Currò M, Ferlazzo N, Caccamo D, Satriano J, Ientile R. Agmatine effects on mitochondrial membrane potential and NF-?B activation protect against rotenone-induced cell damage in human neuronal-like SH-SY5Y cells. J Neurochem. 2011;116:67-75 pubmed publisher..Thus, agmatine may have therapeutic potential in the treatment of Parkinson's disease by protecting dopaminergic neurons. ..
- Barresi V, Vitarelli E, Reggiani Bonetti L, Tuccari G, Barresi G. Diagnostic value of neutrophil gelatinase-associated lipocalin (NGAL) immunoexpression in follicular-patterned lesions of the thyroid gland. Virchows Arch. 2012;460:319-25 pubmed publisher..The use of biotin free system or the preliminary biotin inhibition is warranted for the detection of NGAL in thyroid samples, especially when dealing with Hürthle cell tumors. ..
- Minciullo P, Catalano A, Mandraffino G, Casciaro M, Crucitti A, Maltese G, et al. Inflammaging and Anti-Inflammaging: The Role of Cytokines in Extreme Longevity. Arch Immunol Ther Exp (Warsz). 2016;64:111-26 pubmed publisher..We believe that if inflammaging is a key to understand aging, anti-inflammaging may be one of the secrets of longevity. ..
- Merendino R, Ruello A, Cascinu S, Ferlazzo B, Bene A, Bonanno D, et al. Influence of 5-fluorouracil and folinic acid on interleukin-18 production in colorectal cancer patients. Int J Biol Markers. 2002;17:63-6 pubmed..This study was carried out to evaluate the IL-18 blood concentrations of operated colorectal cancer patients and their possible variation in response to combination chemotherapy with 5-fluorouracil (5-FU) and folinic acid...
- De Ponte F, Brunelli A, Marchetti E, Bottini D. Sublingual epidermoid cyst. J Craniofac Surg. 2002;13:308-10 pubmed..However a multifactorial origin must be assumed for justifying the fact that the patient's father did not develop a dermoid cyst although he had the same problem of an adherent tongue and was operated on. ..
- Familiari L, Scaffidi M, Familiari P, Consolo P, Ficano L, Micelic D, et al. An endoscopic approach to the management of surgical bile duct injuries: nine years' experience. Dig Liver Dis. 2003;35:493-7 pubmed..The evaluation of the endoscopic treatment of surgical bile duct injuries, especially in the management of post-operative strictures, remains controversial...
- Trifiro G, Barbui C, Spina E, Moretti S, Tari M, Alacqua M, et al. Antidepressant drugs: prevalence, incidence and indication of use in general practice of Southern Italy during the years 2003-2004. Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf. 2007;16:552-9 pubmed..SSRIs, particularly those recently marketed, have been increasingly used during the last years, mainly to treat affective disorders. ..
- Ruggeri R, Sciacchitano S, Trimarchi F, Barresi G, Trovato M. Expression of hepatocyte growth factor in Hashimoto's thyroiditis with nodular lesions. Eur J Histochem. 2007;51:193-8 pubmed..These data indicate that HGF may play a role in cell proliferation processes occurring in thyroid glands affected by HT, probably under the regulation of the lymphoid infiltrate...
- Ferreri F, Aragona P, Ferreri G. Scanning laser polarimetry and confocal scanning laser ophthalmoscopy: technical notes on their use in glaucoma. Prog Brain Res. 2008;173:125-38 pubmed publisher..The correct evaluation of the parameters studied by these techniques and the knowledge of the instruments' limits are needed for an adequate interpretation of the results obtained. ..
- Ferlazzo E, Gagliano A, Calarese T, Magaudda A, Striano P, Cortese L, et al. Neuropsychological findings in patients with Unverricht-Lundborg disease. Epilepsy Behav. 2009;14:545-9 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, most patients with ULD seem to be impaired with respect to cognitive abilities. Longitudinal prospective studies are needed to confirm and further expand our findings. ..
- Le Donne M, Caruso C, Mancuso A, Costa G, Iemmo R, Pizzimenti G, et al. The effect of vaginally administered genistein in comparison with hyaluronic acid on atrophic epithelium in postmenopause. Arch Gynecol Obstet. 2011;283:1319-23 pubmed publisher..The results of this investigation should be considered preliminary and need to be verified in larger, prospective studies. ..
- Savica V, Bellinghieri G, Kopple J. The effect of nutrition on blood pressure. Annu Rev Nutr. 2010;30:365-401 pubmed publisher..Long-term compliance to these diets remains a major concern. ..
- Romeo O, Criseo G. Candida africana and its closest relatives. Mycoses. 2011;54:475-86 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, through the analysis of literature data, we have found that C. africana has a worldwide distribution and a considerable number of features making its study particularly interesting. ..
- Allegra A, Alonci A, Bellomo G, Campo S, Cannavò A, Penna G, et al. Increased serum levels of neutrophil gelatinase-associated lipocalin in patients with essential thrombocythemia and polycythemia vera. Leuk Lymphoma. 2011;52:101-7 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, our study reports evidence demonstrating that increased levels of NGAL appear to be a characteristic of patients with PV and ET. ..
- Mandraffino G, Sardo M, Riggio S, Loddo S, Imbalzano E, Alibrandi A, et al. Circulating progenitor cells are increased in newly diagnosed untreated hypertensive patients with arterial stiffening but normal carotid intima-media thickness. Hypertens Res. 2011;34:876-83 pubmed publisher..In early phases of arterial hypertension, before the development of wall thickening and even in the presence of arterial mechanical impairment, CPC number may be increased to maintain an adequate number of EPCs in peripheral blood. ..
- Ferro E, Visalli G, Civa R, La Rosa M, Randazzo Papa G, Baluce B, et al. Oxidative damage and genotoxicity biomarkers in transfused and untransfused thalassemic subjects. Free Radic Biol Med. 2012;53:1829-37 pubmed publisher..In addition to iron overload, the results highlight the important role played by hypoxia-driven mitochondrial ROS overproduction in determining oxidative damage in ?-thalassemias. ..
- Melchini A, Traka M, Catania S, Miceli N, Taviano M, Maimone P, et al. Antiproliferative activity of the dietary isothiocyanate erucin, a bioactive compound from cruciferous vegetables, on human prostate cancer cells. Nutr Cancer. 2013;65:132-8 pubmed publisher..It is clearly important for the translation of laboratory findings to clinical approaches to investigate in animal and cell studies the molecular mechanisms by which ITCs may exert health promoting effects...
- Quartarone A, Hallett M. Emerging concepts in the physiological basis of dystonia. Mov Disord. 2013;28:958-67 pubmed publisher..Current lines of research will be discussed from a network perspective. Â© 2013 Movement Disorder Society. ..
- De Luca F, Alessi L, Bruno E, Cama V, Costanzo D, Genovese C, et al. Graves' disease in childhood: new epidemiological, pathophysiological and therapeutic insights. Minerva Pediatr. 2016;68:66-9 pubmed..In this review, the authors analyze the main epidemiological, pathophysiological, clinical and prognostic features of Graves' disease in childhood and provide some therapeutic insights. ..
- Leonardi R, Perrotta R, Crimi S, Matthews J, Barbato E, Dos Santos J, et al. Differential expression of TLR3 and TLR4 in keratocystic odontogenic tumor (KCOT): A comparative immunohistochemical study in primary, recurrent, and nevoid basal cell carcinoma syndrome (NBCCS)--associated lesions. J Craniomaxillofac Surg. 2015;43:733-7 pubmed publisher..In fact, TLR4 was up-regulated in sr-KCOTs and NBCCS-KCOTs but not in sp-KCOTs. According these findings it seems conceivable to assume that the up-regulation of TLR4 in some KCOTs can be correlated somehow to their tendency recurrence. ..
- Bagnato G, Roberts W, Fiorenza A, Arcuri C, Certo R, Trimarchi F, et al. Skin fibrosis correlates with circulating thyrotropin levels in systemic sclerosis: translational association with Hashimoto's thyroiditis. Endocrine. 2016;51:291-7 pubmed publisher..Therefore, TSH could play a role in the development of cutaneous changes in SSc patients. ..
- Mian M, Tinelli M, De March E, Turri G, Meneghini V, Pescosta N, et al. Bortezomib, Thalidomide and Lenalidomide: Have They Really Changed the Outcome of Multiple Myeloma?. Anticancer Res. 2016;36:1059-65 pubmed..ASCT is still of major importance in the treatment of this disease. Nevertheless, MM remains incurable and new therapeutic approaches are warranted. ..
- Caprioglio A, Bergamini C, Franchi L, Vercellini N, Zecca P, Nucera R, et al. Prediction of Class II improvement after rapid maxillary expansion in early mixed dentition. Prog Orthod. 2017;18:9 pubmed publisher..Patients with smaller mandibular length and more acute superior gonial angle are expected to have more chances to improve molar Class II after rapid maxillary expansion. ..
- Previti S, Ettari R, Cosconati S, Amendola G, Chouchene K, Wagner A, et al. Development of Novel Peptide-Based Michael Acceptors Targeting Rhodesain and Falcipain-2 for the Treatment of Neglected Tropical Diseases (NTDs). J Med Chem. 2017;60:6911-6923 pubmed publisher..97 μM), thus being considered as a novel lead compound for the discovery of novel effective antitrypanosomal agents. ..
- Wasniewska M, Valenzise M, Lombardo F, De Luca F. Aldosterone synthase deficiency type I with no documented homozygous mutations in the CYP11B2 gene. Eur J Endocrinol. 2001;144:59-62 pubmed..A reasonable question that might be raised on the basis of our findings in this case report is whether other genes, apart from CYP11B2, are involved in the regulation of terminal aldosterone synthesis. ..
- Quartarone E, Alonci A, Allegra A, Bellomo G, Calabro L, D Angelo A, et al. Differential levels of soluble angiopoietin-2 and Tie-2 in patients with haematological malignancies. Eur J Haematol. 2006;77:480-5 pubmed..29 +/- 8.7 ng/mL; P < 0.04). In conclusion, abnormal levels of sAng-2 and sTie-2 are present in some haematological malignancies. These markers may play a role in the pathophysiology of these conditions and their progression. ..
- Guarneri F, Benvenga S. Environmental factors and genetic background that interact to cause autoimmune thyroid disease. Curr Opin Endocrinol Diabetes Obes. 2007;14:398-409 pubmed
- Guarneri F, Guarneri C, Marini H. Contribution of neuroinflammation in burning mouth syndrome: indications from benzodiazepine use. Dermatol Ther. 2008;21 Suppl 2:S21-4 pubmed publisher..Further studies on the connection between neuroinflammation and burning mouth syndrome could open interesting perspectives in the understanding and management of this difficult clinical condition. ..
- Ferro S, De Luca L, Barreca M, Iraci N, De Grazia S, Christ F, et al. Docking studies on a new human immunodeficiency virus integrase-Mg-DNA complex: phenyl ring exploration and synthesis of 1H-benzylindole derivatives through fluorine substitutions. J Med Chem. 2009;52:569-73 pubmed publisher..Microwave assisted organic synthesis (MAOS) was employed in several steps of the synthetic pathway, thus reducing reaction times and improving yields...