Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on humans in Brescia, Lombardy, Italy
Locale: Brescia, Lombardy, Italy
Publications339 found, 100 shown here
- Vizzardi E, D Aloia A, Zanini G, Antonioli E, Chiari E, Fiorina C, et al. Coronary artery fistula: diagnostic role of transthoracic and transesophageal echocardiography. Minerva Cardioangiol. 2008;56:361-4 pubmed..This case represents a typical sample of this rare anomaly and puts into evidence the essential role of echocardiography to define and complete the angiographic diagnosis. ..
- Nicolai P, Battaglia P, Bignami M, Bolzoni Villaret A, Delù G, Khrais T, et al. Endoscopic surgery for malignant tumors of the sinonasal tract and adjacent skull base: a 10-year experience. Am J Rhinol. 2008;22:308-16 pubmed publisher..We report our experience with the endoscopic management of nasoethmoidal malignancies possibly involving the adjacent skull base...
- Peretti G, Piazza C, Cocco D, De Benedetto L, Del Bon F, Redaelli de Zinis L, et al. Transoral CO(2) laser treatment for T(is)-T(3) glottic cancer: the University of Brescia experience on 595 patients. Head Neck. 2010;32:977-83 pubmed publisher..This series confirms the good oncologic outcomes of endoscopic laser surgery for T(is), T(1), and selected T(2) and T(3) glottic tumors. ..
- Frisoni G, Fox N, Jack C, Scheltens P, Thompson P. The clinical use of structural MRI in Alzheimer disease. Nat Rev Neurol. 2010;6:67-77 pubmed publisher..The utility of structural imaging and other markers will be increased by standardization of acquisition and analysis methods, and by development of robust algorithms for automated assessment. ..
- Fazzi E, Signorini S, La Piana R, Bertone C, Misefari W, Galli J, et al. Neuro-ophthalmological disorders in cerebral palsy: ophthalmological, oculomotor, and visual aspects. Dev Med Child Neurol. 2012;54:730-6 pubmed publisher..Each clinical type of CP is associated with a distinct neuro-ophthalmological profile. Early and careful neuro-ophthalmological assessment of children with CP is essential for an accurate diagnosis and for personalized rehabilitation. ..
- Silini A, Parolini O, Huppertz B, Lang I. Soluble factors of amnion-derived cells in treatment of inflammatory and fibrotic pathologies. Curr Stem Cell Res Ther. 2013;8:6-14 pubmed..Indeed, determining the specific cascade of events that may define the role of the amnion in a given clinical situation remains a challenge...
- Zanini B, Mazzoncini E, Lanzarotto F, Ricci C, Cesana B, Villanacci V, et al. Impact of gluten-free diet on cardiovascular risk factors. A retrospective analysis in a large cohort of coeliac patients. Dig Liver Dis. 2013;45:810-5 pubmed publisher..A gluten-free diet significantly affects cardiovascular risk factors in coeliac patients, but changes do not consistently point towards worse or better risk profiles, thus suggesting that the diet is unlikely to be atherogenic. ..
- Lombardi C, Carubelli V, Rovetta R, Castrini A, Vizzardi E, Bondei I, et al. Prognostic value of serial measurements of blood urea nitrogen in ambulatory patients with chronic heart failure. Panminerva Med. 2016;58:8-15 pubmed..011 [IC 95% 1.002-1.021]; P=0.015). In ambulatory patients with stable chronic heart failure the increment of BUN is associated with increased cardiovascular mortality and heart failure hospitalizations at one-year. ..
- Romanello M, Zampieri S, Bortolotti N, Deroma L, Sechi A, Fiumara A, et al. Comprehensive Evaluation of Plasma 7-Ketocholesterol and Cholestan-3Î²,5Î±,6Î²-Triol in an Italian Cohort of Patients Affected by Niemann-Pick Disease due to NPC1 and SMPD1 Mutations. Clin Chim Acta. 2016;455:39-45 pubmed publisher..Both oxysterols are significantly elevated in NPB patients; thus a differential diagnosis should always be performed in patients presenting isolated hepatosplenomegaly, a common clinical sign of both NPCD and NPBD. ..
- Piccardo A, Puntoni M, Treglia G, Foppiani L, Bertagna F, Paparo F, et al. Thyroid nodules with indeterminate cytology: prospective comparison between 18F-FDG-PET/CT, multiparametric neck ultrasonography, 99mTc-MIBI scintigraphy and histology. Eur J Endocrinol. 2016;174:693-703 pubmed publisher..A positive (18)F-FDG-PET/CT is significantly associated with malignancy when qualitative (99m)Tc-MIBI-scan is rated as negative. ..
- Pagano S, Fait E, Brignani D, Mazza V. Object individuation and compensation in healthy aging. Neurobiol Aging. 2016;40:145-154 pubmed publisher..Overall, the data suggest that in enumeration, aging is associated with compensatory effects that rely on the selection mechanism responsible for target individuation. ..
- Puccini B, Nassi L, Minoia C, Volpetti S, Ciancia R, Riccomagno P, et al. Role of bone marrow biopsy in staging of patients with classical Hodgkin's lymphoma undergoing positron emission tomography/computed tomography. Ann Hematol. 2017;96:1147-1153 pubmed publisher..Our data showed a very high negative predictive value of PET/CT for BMI and a negligible influence of BMB on treatment planning, strengthening the recent indications that BMB could be safely omitted in cHL patients staged with PET/CT. ..
- Borroni B, Pilotto A, Bonvicini C, Archetti S, Alberici A, Lupi A, et al. Atypical presentation of a novel Presenilin 1 R377W mutation: sporadic, late-onset Alzheimer disease with epilepsy and frontotemporal atrophy. Neurol Sci. 2012;33:375-8 pubmed publisher..The case herein reported further confirms the heterogeneity of PSEN1 mutations and the need to take into account genetic screening in those cases with atypical presentation. ..
- Bergonzini R, Di Scioscio V, Sciascia N, Zompatori M. A tamponade with a happy ending. Radiol Med. 2002;104:494-7 pubmed
- Castellano M, Glorioso N, Cusi D, Sarzani R, Fabris B, Opocher G, et al. Genetic polymorphism of the renin-angiotensin-aldosterone system and arterial hypertension in the Italian population: the GENIPER Project. J Hypertens. 2003;21:1853-60 pubmed..Our results suggest that some allelic variants of RAAS genes carry a small but identifiable risk of developing arterial hypertension. ..
- Belotti G, Pitì A, Curnis A. Biventricular implantable cardiac defibrillator in dextrocardia with situs viscerum inversus. Ital Heart J. 2004;5:559-62 pubmed..After a complete vascular and cardiac anatomy evaluation, the patient was submitted to biventricular cardiac defibrillator implantation via a right approach and using conventional fluoroscopic equipment. ..
- Badolato R, Fontana S, Notarangelo L, Savoldi G. Congenital neutropenia: advances in diagnosis and treatment. Curr Opin Allergy Clin Immunol. 2004;4:513-21 pubmed
- Fiorentini C, Busi C, Gorruso E, Gotti C, Spano P, Missale C. Reciprocal regulation of dopamine D1 and D3 receptor function and trafficking by heterodimerization. Mol Pharmacol. 2008;74:59-69 pubmed publisher..These data give a novel insight into how D1R and D3R may function in an integrated way, providing a molecular mechanism by which to converge D1R- and D3R-related dysfunctions. ..
- Zani D, Simeone C, Antonelli A, Bettini E, Moroni A, Cosciani Cunico S. Cancer in kidney transplantation. Urol Int. 2008;80:329-31 pubmed publisher..Our data and those reported in the literature suggest that these cancers can be treated like a neoplasm in the general population. However, a higher number of cases and longer follow-up periods are necessary to confirm our findings. ..
- Riboldi E, Daniele R, Parola C, Inforzato A, Arnold P, Bosisio D, et al. Human C-type lectin domain family 4, member C (CLEC4C/BDCA-2/CD303) is a receptor for asialo-galactosyl-oligosaccharides. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:35329-33 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that the modulation in the expression of non-sialylated oligosaccharides by invading pathogens or transformed cells may affect type I IFN response and immune surveillance. ..
- Latronico N, Bolton C. Critical illness polyneuropathy and myopathy: a major cause of muscle weakness and paralysis. Lancet Neurol. 2011;10:931-41 pubmed publisher..Control of hyperglycaemia might reduce the severity of these complications of critical illness, and early rehabilitation in the intensive care unit might improve the functional recovery and independence of patients...
- Borroni B, Alberici A, Cercignani M, Premi E, Serra L, Cerini C, et al. Granulin mutation drives brain damage and reorganization from preclinical to symptomatic FTLD. Neurobiol Aging. 2012;33:2506-20 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that compensatory mechanisms of brain plasticity are present in GRN-related FTLD, but with different patterns at a preclinical and symptomatic disease stage. ..
- Lok A, Trinh H, Carosi G, Akarca U, Gadano A, Habersetzer F, et al. Efficacy of entecavir with or without tenofovir disoproxil fumarate for nucleos(t)ide-naïve patients with chronic hepatitis B. Gastroenterology. 2012;143:619-628.e1 pubmed publisher..We compared the efficacy and safety of ETV monotherapy with those of a combination of ETV and TDF...
- Semeraro F, Romano M, Danzi P, Morescalchi F, Costagliola C. Intravitreal bevacizumab versus low-fluence photodynamic therapy for treatment of chronic central serous chorioretinopathy. Jpn J Ophthalmol. 2012;56:608-12 pubmed publisher..The difference between retreatment in the 2 groups was not statistically significant (P = 0.45). Based on the results obtained after 9 months of follow-up, our study provides evidence that IVB may be a treatment option for chronic CSC. ..
- Palese A, Ambrosi E, Fabris F, Guarnier A, Barelli P, Zambiasi P, et al. Nursing care as a predictor of phlebitis related to insertion of a peripheral venous cannula in emergency departments: findings from a prospective study. J Hosp Infect. 2016;92:280-6 pubmed publisher..These are modifiable risk factors of phlebitis, suggesting areas for intervention at both hospital and unit level. ..
- Castagnetti F, Gugliotta G, Breccia M, Iurlo A, Levato L, Albano F, et al. The BCR-ABL1 transcript type influences response and outcome in Philadelphia chromosome-positive chronic myeloid leukemia patients treated frontline with imatinib. Am J Hematol. 2017;92:797-805 pubmed publisher..001) were significantly better in patients with e14a2 transcript. In conclusion, patients with e13a2 transcript had a slower molecular response with inferior response rates to imatinib and a poorer long-term outcome. ..
- De Panfilis G, Melzani G, Mori G, Ghidini A, Graifemberghi S. Relapses after treatment of external genital warts are more frequent in HIV-positive patients than in HIV-negative controls. Sex Transm Dis. 2002;29:121-5 pubmed..001). According to the study findings, HIV infection can be considered a risk factor for the development and recurrence of external genital warts. Multiple relapses should drive patients to HIV testing. ..
- Lucchini R, Calza S, Camerino D, Carta P, Decarli A, Parrinello G, et al. Application of a latent variable model for a multicenter study on early effects due to mercury exposure. Neurotoxicology. 2003;24:605-16 pubmed..On the contrary, dental amalgams and small-size fish consumption do not seem to be associated to any adverse health effect at these exposure levels. ..
- Tomenzoli D, Castelnuovo P, Pagella F, Berlucchi M, Pianta L, Delù G, et al. Different endoscopic surgical strategies in the management of inverted papilloma of the sinonasal tract: experience with 47 patients. Laryngoscope. 2004;114:193-200 pubmed..To demonstrate the potentials and limitations of three different endoscopic procedures employed for treatment of inverted papilloma (IP) of the sinonasal tract...
- Lougaris V, Badolato R, Ferrari S, Plebani A. Hyper immunoglobulin M syndrome due to CD40 deficiency: clinical, molecular, and immunological features. Immunol Rev. 2005;203:48-66 pubmed..In this article, we present a comprehensive overview of the clinical, genetic, and immunological features of patients with hyper IgM syndrome due to CD40 mutations. ..
- Marchina E, Gambera A, Spinelli E, Clerici P, Scagliola P, Sartori E, et al. Identification of a new mutation in the SRY gene in a 46,XY woman with Swyer syndrome. Fertil Steril. 2009;91:932.e7-932.e11 pubmed publisher..Clinical and endocrinologic data are reported. This is a new rare case of a single nucleotide insertion affecting the SRY gene in 46,XY females with sex reversal. This new mutation should be considered in genetic counseling. ..
- Russo A, Delcassi L, Marchina E, Semeraro F. Correlation between visual acuity and OCT-measured retinal nerve fiber layer thickness in a family with ADOA and an OPA1 mutation. Ophthalmic Genet. 2013;34:69-74 pubmed publisher..008). OCT-measured peripapillary RNFL thickness is reduced in ADOA patients compared with healthy subjects and correlates significantly with visual acuity in patients with ADOA. The photoreceptor layers are morphologically unaffected. ..
- Zaltron S, Spinetti A, Biasi L, Baiguera C, Castelli F. Chronic HCV infection: epidemiological and clinical relevance. BMC Infect Dis. 2012;12 Suppl 2:S2 pubmed publisher..Effective screening strategies may target at-risk groups or age specific groups, as recently recommended by the CDC. ..
- Gimpelewicz C, Metra M, Cleland J, Szecsödy P, Chang Wun C, Boer Martins L, et al. Effects of serelaxin on the outcome of patients with or without substantial peripheral edema: A subgroup analysis from the RELAX-AHF trial. Am Heart J. 2017;190:113-122 pubmed publisher..Overall, patients with AHF and moderate/severe peripheral edema have a worse prognosis but appear to receive similar relative benefit and perhaps greater absolute benefit from serelaxin administration. ..
- Ferrari S, Giliani S, Insalaco A, al Ghonaium A, Soresina A, Loubser M, et al. Mutations of CD40 gene cause an autosomal recessive form of immunodeficiency with hyper IgM. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2001;98:12614-9 pubmed..These findings show that mutations of the CD40 gene cause an autosomal recessive form of hyper IgM, which is immunologically and clinically undistinguishable from the X-linked form. ..
- Falsetti L, Gambera A, Andrico S, Sartori E. Acne and hirsutism in polycystic ovary syndrome: clinical, endocrine-metabolic and ultrasonographic differences. Gynecol Endocrinol. 2002;16:275-84 pubmed..Acne was associated only with the lowest 3alpha-androstanediol glucuronide levels. Therefore, two different pathogenetic mechanisms may play a role in the onset of acne and hirsutism. ..
- Rosei E, Rizzoni D. Evaluation of the efficacy and tolerability of the combination delapril plus indapamide in the treatment of mild to moderate essential hypertension: a randomised, multicentre, controlled study. J Hum Hypertens. 2003;17:139-46 pubmed..In conclusion, D+I was more effective than C+H in terms of overall reduction in blood pressure and response rate. Greater efficacy was obtained without any increase in adverse effects, since both treatments were equally well tolerated. ..
- Quiros Roldan E, Torti C, Carosi G. [The novel non-A, non-E hepatitis viruses and their pathogenic effect]. Med Clin (Barc). 2004;122:552-4 pubmed..Only a careful evaluation of the data and the scientific concordance of all the evidence will resolve the question of whether they are only commensal viruses or pose a real pathogenic potential...
- Urbinati C, Bugatti A, Giacca M, Schlaepfer D, Presta M, Rusnati M. alpha(v)beta3-integrin-dependent activation of focal adhesion kinase mediates NF-kappaB activation and motogenic activity by HIV-1 Tat in endothelial cells. J Cell Sci. 2005;118:3949-58 pubmed..Since Tat accumulates in an immobilized form in the extracellular matrix, these results provide new biochemical and biological insights about alpha(v)beta3/Tat interaction exploitable for the design of anti-Tat strategies. ..
- Pilotta A, Mella P, Filisetti M, Felappi B, Prandi E, Parrinello G, et al. Common polymorphisms of the growth hormone (GH) receptor do not correlate with the growth response to exogenous recombinant human GH in GH-deficient children. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2006;91:1178-80 pubmed..The most common GHR polymorphisms, alone or in association, do not appear to affect the growth response to rhGH in GHD children. ..
- Borroni B, Grassi M, Agosti C, Archetti S, Costanzi C, Cornali C, et al. Cumulative effect of COMT and 5-HTTLPR polymorphisms and their interaction with disease severity and comorbidities on the risk of psychosis in Alzheimer disease. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2006;14:343-51 pubmed..The objective of this study was to investigate the cumulative effect of the genes likely involved in Alzheimer disease (AD)-related psychosis and their interaction with disease stage and environmental factors...
- Tincani A, Rebaioli C, Taglietti M, Shoenfeld Y. Heart involvement in systemic lupus erythematosus, anti-phospholipid syndrome and neonatal lupus. Rheumatology (Oxford). 2006;45 Suppl 4:iv8-13 pubmed
- Stefini R, Bergomi R, Catenacci E, Cereda C, Latronico N, Mortini P. Bi-occipital decompressive craniectomy in refractory post traumatic intracranial hypertension: first report of one case. Br J Neurosurg. 2007;21:527-31 pubmed
- Buzi F, Mella P, Pilotta A, Prandi E, Lanfranchi F, Carapella T. Growth hormone receptor polymorphisms. Endocr Dev. 2007;11:28-35 pubmed..This review analyses these studies trying to explain the apparent discrepancies, mainly due to different selection criteria and different dose regimens in treating GHD and non-GHD short subjects. ..
- Filosto M, Tentorio M, Broglio L, Buzio S, Lazzarini C, Pasolini M, et al. Disulfiram neuropathy: two cases of distal axonopathy. Clin Toxicol (Phila). 2008;46:314-6 pubmed publisher..Axonal degeneration has been described as a pathological hallmark of disulfiram toxicity, but experiments have reported a primary toxic effect of the molecule on Schwann cells and myelin...
- Salogni L, Musso T, Bosisio D, Mirolo M, Jala V, Haribabu B, et al. Activin A induces dendritic cell migration through the polarized release of CXC chemokine ligands 12 and 14. Blood. 2009;113:5848-56 pubmed publisher..This study extends the proinflammatory role of activin A to DC recruitment and provides a cautionary message about the reliability of the in vitro chemotaxis assays in discriminating direct versus indirect chemotactic agonists. ..
- Rusnati M, Vicenzi E, Donalisio M, Oreste P, Landolfo S, Lembo D. Sulfated K5 Escherichia coli polysaccharide derivatives: A novel class of candidate antiviral microbicides. Pharmacol Ther. 2009;123:310-22 pubmed publisher..With a focus on the K5 derivatives, this article reviews the literature on polyanions as antiviral microbicides and discusses the possible therapeutic implications of this novel class of compounds. ..
- Frisoni G, Prestia A, Zanetti O, Galluzzi S, Romano M, Cotelli M, et al. Markers of Alzheimer's disease in a population attending a memory clinic. Alzheimers Dement. 2009;5:307-17 pubmed publisher..0001). The new diagnostic criteria can be operationalized in clinical routines, but longitudinal studies of MCI patients will need to assess the criteria's prognostic value. ..
- Magri C, Sacchetti E, Traversa M, Valsecchi P, Gardella R, Bonvicini C, et al. New copy number variations in schizophrenia. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e13422 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, the identification of previously reported CNVs and of new, rare, large CNVs further supports a model of schizophrenia that includes the effect of multiple, rare, highly penetrant variants. ..
- Rizzoni D, De Ciuceis C, Porteri E, Semeraro F, Rosei E. Structural alterations in small resistance arteries in obesity. Basic Clin Pharmacol Toxicol. 2012;110:56-62 pubmed publisher..In obesity, a pronounced weight loss may improve microvascular structure. However, further studies are needed to elucidate the effects of other pharmacological and non-pharmacological interventions in obesity...
- Metra M, Cotter G, Gheorghiade M, Dei Cas L, Voors A. The role of the kidney in heart failure. Eur Heart J. 2012;33:2135-42 pubmed publisher..The prevention of renal dysfunction with new therapies might also improve outcomes although strong evidence is still lacking. ..
- Zimmitti G, Manzoni A, Addeo P, Garatti M, Zaniboni A, Bachellier P, et al. Laparoscopic pancreatoduodenectomy with superior mesenteric artery-first approach and pancreatogastrostomy assisted by mini-laparotomy. Surg Endosc. 2016;30:1670-1 pubmed publisher..LPD with SMA-first approach with pancreatogastrostomy assisted by a mini-laparotomy well combines the benefits of laparoscopy with low risk of postoperative complications and high rate of curative resection. ..
- Grisanti S, Antonelli A, Buglione M, Almici C, Foroni C, Sodano M, et al. Analysis of Circulating Tumor Cells in Prostate Cancer Patients at PSA Recurrence and Review of the Literature. Anticancer Res. 2016;36:2975-81 pubmed..Further studies are required to investigate alternative methods of CTC detection and the possible role of the bone marrow pre-metastatic niche at biochemical recurrence. ..
- Bellelli G, Morandi A, Di Santo S, Mazzone A, Cherubini A, Mossello E, et al. "Delirium Day": a nationwide point prevalence study of delirium in older hospitalized patients using an easy standardized diagnostic tool. BMC Med. 2016;14:106 pubmed publisher..Prevalence was highest in Neurology and lowest in Rehabilitation divisions. The "Delirium Day" project might become a useful method to assess delirium across hospital settings and a benchmarking platform for future surveys. ..
- Herukka S, Simonsen A, Andreasen N, Baldeiras I, Bjerke M, Blennow K, et al. Recommendations for cerebrospinal fluid Alzheimer's disease biomarkers in the diagnostic evaluation of mild cognitive impairment. Alzheimers Dement. 2017;13:285-295 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, the working group provided recommendations for interpretation of ambiguous CSF biomarker results and for pre- and post-biomarker counseling. ..
- Monti E, Bassi M, Papini N, Riboni M, Manzoni M, Venerando B, et al. Identification and expression of NEU3, a novel human sialidase associated to the plasma membrane. Biochem J. 2000;349:343-51 pubmed..8. Immunofluorescence staining of the transfected COS7 cells demonstrated the protein's localization in the plasma membrane. ..
- Vinco A, Vettoretto N, Cervi E, Villanacci V, Baronchelli C, Giulini S, et al. Association of multiple granular cell tumors and squamous carcinoma of the esophagus: case report and review of the literature. Dis Esophagus. 2001;14:262-4 pubmed..We emphasize the need for a prolonged surveillance of patients with multiple GCTs in order to promptly recognize the possibility of associated neoplasms. ..
- Gatta L, Albertini A, Ravid R, Finazzi D. Levels of beta-secretase BACE and alpha-secretase ADAM10 mRNAs in Alzheimer hippocampus. Neuroreport. 2002;13:2031-3 pubmed..The data do not support the hypothesis that alteration of BACE and ADAM10 expression are associated with development of late stages of AD. ..
- Begni S, Moraschi S, Bignotti S, Fumagalli F, Rillosi L, Perez J, et al. Association between the G1001C polymorphism in the GRIN1 gene promoter region and schizophrenia. Biol Psychiatry. 2003;53:617-9 pubmed..034 (if C allele dominant, p =.0137, odds ratio 2.037, 95% confidence interval 1.1502-3.6076). The association reported in this study suggests that the GRIN1 gene is a good candidate for the susceptibility to schizophrenia. ..
- Giudice M, Piazza C, Foccoli P, Toninelli C, Cavaliere S, Peretti G. Idiopathic subglottic stenosis: management by endoscopic and open-neck surgery in a series of 30 patients. Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol. 2003;260:235-8 pubmed..After repeated endoscopic failures, open-neck surgery by laryngoplasty or laryngotracheal resection and anastomosis is strongly recommended, particularly for complex lesions longer than 1 cm. ..
- Puccio F, Solazzo M, Chiodini S. Primary retroperitoneal abscess extending to the calf. Arch Surg. 2005;140:1230-1 pubmed..We also made 3 separate incisions on the medial aspect of the right thigh and 1 incision on the upper calf, resulting in the drainage of pus. The patient made a slow but steady recovery. ..
- Ghidoni R, Signorini S, Barbiero L, Sina E, Cominelli P, Villa A, et al. The H2 MAPT haplotype is associated with familial frontotemporal dementia. Neurobiol Dis. 2006;22:357-62 pubmed..67, P = 0.001). Our results support idea that the MAPT H2 haplotype is a risk factor for FFTD. This locus could contain this or other inheritable genetic determinants contributing to increase risk of developing dementia. ..
- Marino R, Gasparotti R, Pinelli L, Manzoni D, Gritti P, Mardighian D, et al. Posttraumatic cerebral infarction in patients with moderate or severe head trauma. Neurology. 2006;67:1165-71 pubmed..The risk of developing posttraumatic cerebral infarction may be higher in patients with intracranial hypertension than in those without. Patients with posttraumatic cerebral infarction may be at increased risk of residual disability. ..
- Tincani A, Danieli E, Nuzzo M, Scarsil M, Motta M, Cimaz R, et al. Impact of in utero environment on the offspring of lupus patients. Lupus. 2006;15:801-7 pubmed..Fetal consequence of maternal treatment need to be considered choosing non teratogenic drugs, but the withdrawal of medications just because the patient is pregnant should be avoided to avoid SLE flares. ..
- Amoroso V, Pittiani F, Grisanti S, Valcamonico F, Simoncini E, Ferrari V, et al. Osteoblastic flare in a patient with advanced gastric cancer after treatment with pemetrexed and oxaliplatin: implications for response assessment with RECIST criteria. BMC Cancer. 2007;7:94 pubmed..This possibility should be considered by oncologists involved in clinical trials. ..
- Zanchetti G, Colombi P, Manzoni M, Anastasia L, Caimi L, Borsani G, et al. Sialidase NEU3 is a peripheral membrane protein localized on the cell surface and in endosomal structures. Biochem J. 2007;408:211-9 pubmed..Overall, these results provide important information about the biology of NEU3, the most studied member of the mammalian sialidase family. ..
- Zanella I, Derosas M, Corrado M, Cocco E, Cavadini P, Biasiotto G, et al. The effects of frataxin silencing in HeLa cells are rescued by the expression of human mitochondrial ferritin. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2008;1782:90-8 pubmed..These data indicate that frataxin has some roles in controlling the balance between different mitochondrial iron pools that are partially in common with those of mitochondrial ferritin. ..
- Villanacci V, Bellone G, Battaglia E, Rossi E, Carbone A, Prati A, et al. Ski/SnoN expression in the sequence metaplasia-dysplasia-adenocarcinoma of Barrett's esophagus. Hum Pathol. 2008;39:403-9 pubmed publisher..These observations might help to elucidate the molecular mechanisms involved in the BE tumorigenesis process. ..
- Antonini B, Piva S, Paltenghi M, Candiani A, Latronico N. The early phase of critical illness is a progressive acidic state due to unmeasured anions. Eur J Anaesthesiol. 2008;25:566-71 pubmed publisher..Metabolic acidosis by unmeasured anions is a clinically relevant phenomenon, which is correlated with mortality. Progressive metabolic acidosis may be ongoing in the early phase of critical illness despite the absence of acidaemia. ..
- Bocchio Chiavetto L, Miniussi C, Zanardini R, Gazzoli A, Bignotti S, Specchia C, et al. 5-HTTLPR and BDNF Val66Met polymorphisms and response to rTMS treatment in drug resistant depression. Neurosci Lett. 2008;437:130-4 pubmed publisher..Further investigations in larger samples are needed to clarify the usefulness of 5-HTTLPR and BDNF Val66Met genotyping in the optimization of non-pharmacological treatments in mood disorders. ..
- Belleri M, Ribatti D, Savio M, Stivala L, Forti L, Tanghetti E, et al. alphavbeta3 Integrin-dependent antiangiogenic activity of resveratrol stereoisomers. Mol Cancer Ther. 2008;7:3761-70 pubmed publisher..This may have profound implications for the design of synthetic antiangiogenic/angiopreventive phytoalexin derivatives. ..
- Meriggi F, Zaniboni A. Newer avenues for the treatment of leptomeningeal carcinomatosis. Cent Nerv Syst Agents Med Chem. 2011;11:38-44 pubmed..The treatment of LC remains controversial and no straightforward guidelines exist in the literature. It has a bad prognosis and inevitably fatal outcome despite aggressive therapy. ..
- De Palma G, Catalani S, Franco A, Brighenti M, Apostoli P. Lack of correlation between metallic elements analyzed in hair by ICP-MS and autism. J Autism Dev Disord. 2012;42:342-53 pubmed publisher..A slight association was found for lead only, but it was very weak, as strictly dependent on the worst data from one study. ..
- Cortellini V, Verzeletti A, Cerri N, Marino A, De Ferrari F. Y-chromosome polymorphisms and ethnic group - a combined STR and SNP approach in a population sample from northern Italy. Croat Med J. 2013;54:279-85 pubmed..Typing both STRs and SNPs on the Y chromosome could become useful in determining ethnic origin of a potential suspect. ..
- Agoni L, Basu I, Gupta S, Alfieri A, Gambino A, Goldberg G, et al. Rigosertib is a more effective radiosensitizer than cisplatin in concurrent chemoradiation treatment of cervical carcinoma, in vitro and in vivo. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2014;88:1180-7 pubmed publisher..Rigosertib was more effective than cisplatin when combined with radiation and caused minimal toxicity. These data support the need for clinical trials with rigosertib in combination therapy for patients with cervical carcinoma. ..
- Tang W, Wu Y, Grodin J, Hsu A, Hernandez A, Butler J, et al. Prognostic Value of Baseline and Changes in Circulating Soluble ST2 Levels and the Effects of Nesiritide in Acute Decompensated Heart Failure. JACC Heart Fail. 2016;4:68-77 pubmed publisher..In addition, nesiritide did not demonstrate an incremental impact on sST2 levels over standard therapy. ..
- Lombardi G, Botti I, Pacciarini M, Boniotti M, Roncarati G, Dal Monte P. Five-year surveillance of human tuberculosis caused by Mycobacterium bovis in Bologna, Italy: an underestimated problem. Epidemiol Infect. 2017;145:3035-3039 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, the rate of human TB caused by M. bovis was not negligible, highlighting the relevance of molecular typing in evaluating the effectiveness of programmes designed to eradicate TB in cattle in Italy...
- Lombardi C, Bottello M, Caruso A, Gargioni S, Passalacqua G. Allergy and skin diseases in musicians. Eur Ann Allergy Clin Immunol. 2003;35:52-5 pubmed..In general, this specific allergologic problem seems to be underestimated, underdiagnosed and, as a conquence, poorly managed. ..
- Fontana S, Moratto D, Mangal S, De Francesco M, Vermi W, Ferrari S, et al. Functional defects of dendritic cells in patients with CD40 deficiency. Blood. 2003;102:4099-106 pubmed..These observations suggest that the severe impairment of DC maturation may contribute to the defect of T-cell-mediated immunity observed in HIGM3 patients. ..
- Airo P, Danieli E, Rossi M, Frassi M, Cavazzana I, Scarsi M, et al. Intravenous cyclophosphamide for interstitial lung disease associated to systemic sclerosis: results with an 18-month long protocol including a maintenance phase. Clin Exp Rheumatol. 2007;25:293-6 pubmed..Treatment was well tolerated. iv CYC can induce an initial improvement in LFT (particularly, in FVC) in the first six months, but no further improvement was observed during the maintenance phase. ..
- Odicino F, Pecorelli S, Zigliani L, Creasman W. History of the FIGO cancer staging system. Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2008;101:205-10 pubmed publisher..This paper reviews the history of the International Federation of Gynecology and Obstetrics (FIGO) cancer staging system, how it was developed, and why. ..
- Tincani A, Rebaioli C, Andreoli L, Lojacono A, Motta M. Neonatal effects of maternal antiphospholipid syndrome. Curr Rheumatol Rep. 2009;11:70-6 pubmed
- Romani C, Comper F, Bandiera E, Ravaggi A, Bignotti E, Tassi R, et al. Development and characterization of a human single-chain antibody fragment against claudin-3: a novel therapeutic target in ovarian and uterine carcinomas. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2009;201:70.e1-9 pubmed publisher..scFv H6 may represent a novel antitumor agent against chemotherapy-resistant ovarian and serous papillary carcinomas and other human malignancies that overexpress CLDN3. ..
- Borroni B, Grassi M, Archetti S, Costanzi C, Bianchi M, Caimi L, et al. BDNF genetic variations increase the risk of Alzheimer's disease-related depression. J Alzheimers Dis. 2009;18:867-75 pubmed publisher..44-8.76, P = 0.006) and C-C-A-C haplotypes (OR = 1.72, 95% CI = 1.03-2.87, P = 0.037) were overrepresented in AD-D. This study suggests that BDNF genetic variations play a role in the susceptibility to AD-related depression. ..
- Muiesan M, Salvetti M, Paini A, Monteduro C, Rosei C, Aggiusti C, et al. Pulse wave velocity and cardiovascular risk stratification in a general population: the Vobarno study. J Hypertens. 2010;28:1935-43 pubmed publisher..Our results confirm that evaluation of different forms of TOD is useful for a more accurate assessment of global cardiovascular risk. ..