Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on animals in Catanzaro, Calabria, Italy
Locale: Catanzaro, Calabria, Italy
- Paolino D, Cosco D, Celano M, Moretti S, Puxeddu E, Russo D, et al. Gemcitabine-loaded biocompatible nanocapsules for the effective treatment of human cancer. Nanomedicine (Lond). 2013;8:193-201 pubmed publisher..The employment of nanocapsules increased the plasmatic half-life of the drug and allowed a great accumulation of GEM inside the tumors. NanoGEM represents a promising new tool for the treatment of cancer. ..
- Sacco A, Morcavallo A, Pandini G, Vigneri R, Belfiore A. Differential signaling activation by insulin and insulin-like growth factors I and II upon binding to insulin receptor isoform A. Endocrinology. 2009;150:3594-602 pubmed publisher..These results underline the role of IR-A in physiology and disease. ..
- Iaconetti C, Sorrentino S, De Rosa S, Indolfi C. Exosomal miRNAs in Heart Disease. Physiology (Bethesda). 2016;31:16-24 pubmed publisher..This review addresses the functional role played by exosomal miRNAs in heart disease and their potential use as new biomarkers. ..
- Roy S, Guzzi P. Biological Network Inference from Microarray Data, Current Solutions, and Assessments. Methods Mol Biol. 2016;1375:155-67 pubmed publisher..Finally we outline some possible future directions of research, such as the use of a prior knowledge into the assessment process. ..
- Chiesa L, Labella G, Giorgi A, Panseri S, Pavlovic R, Bonacci S, et al. The occurrence of pesticides and persistent organic pollutants in Italian organic honeys from different productive areas in relation to potential environmental pollution. Chemosphere. 2016;154:482-490 pubmed publisher..The optimised method proved to be simple and rapid, requiring small sample sizes and minimising solvent consumption, due to the ASE having an "in line" clean-up step. ..
- Chiesa L, Labella G, Panseri S, Pavlovic R, Bonacci S, Arioli F. Distribution of persistent organic pollutants (POPS) IN wild Bluefin tuna (Thunnus thynnus) from different FAO capture zones. Chemosphere. 2016;153:162-9 pubmed publisher..Moreover, tuna muscle was an appropriate matrix for monitoring contamination and for obtaining information about food safety. ..
- Matera G, Liberto M, Quirino A, Barreca G, Lamberti A, Iannone M, et al. Bartonella quintana lipopolysaccharide effects on leukocytes, CXC chemokines and apoptosis: a study on the human whole blood and a rat model. Int Immunopharmacol. 2003;3:853-64 pubmed..This peculiar inflammatory pattern induced by B. quintana LPS, may partially account for the lack of severe septic shock, observed in human B. quintana infections. ..
- Berliocchi L, Russo R, Levato A, Fratto V, Bagetta G, Sakurada S, et al. (-)-Linalool attenuates allodynia in neuropathic pain induced by spinal nerve ligation in c57/bl6 mice. Int Rev Neurobiol. 2009;85:221-35 pubmed publisher..The data suggest that mechanisms other than an action on inflammatory processes may mediate linalool ability to reduce mechanical allodynia in this model of neuropathic pain. ..
- Berliocchi L, Russo R, Maiarù M, Levato A, Bagetta G, Corasaniti M. Autophagy impairment in a mouse model of neuropathic pain. Mol Pain. 2011;7:83 pubmed publisher..Our data showed for the first time that basal autophagy is disrupted in a model of neuropathic pain. ..
- Morrone L, RombolÃ L, Corasaniti M, Bagetta G, Nucci C, Russo R. Natural compounds and retinal ganglion cell neuroprotection. Prog Brain Res. 2015;220:257-81 pubmed publisher..In this review, we summarize the potential benefits of several natural compounds for RGCs neuroprotection. ..
- Galasso O, De Gori M, Nocera A, Brunetti A, Gasparini G. Regulatory functions of insulin-like growth factor binding proteins in osteoarthritis. Int J Immunopathol Pharmacol. 2011;24:55-9 pubmed..Advances in our understanding of the relationship between osteoarthritis and the IGF-I/IGFBP system may lead to new treatment strategies for this degenerative disease. ..
- Di Martino M, Leone E, Amodio N, Foresta U, Lionetti M, Pitari M, et al. Synthetic miR-34a mimics as a novel therapeutic agent for multiple myeloma: in vitro and in vivo evidence. Clin Cancer Res. 2012;18:6260-70 pubmed publisher..Our findings provide a proof-of-principle that formulated synthetic miR-34a has therapeutic activity in preclinical models and support a framework for development of miR-34a-based treatment strategies in MM patients. ..
- Gaspari M, Abbonante V, Cuda G. Gel-free sample preparation for the nanoscale LC-MS/MS analysis and identification of low-nanogram protein samples. J Sep Sci. 2007;30:2210-6 pubmed..The method can be applied to the characterization of low levels of affinity purified proteins. ..
- Paolino D, Cosco D, Cilurzo F, Trapasso E, Morittu V, Celia C, et al. Improved in vitro and in vivo collagen biosynthesis by asiaticoside-loaded ultradeformable vesicles. J Control Release. 2012;162:143-51 pubmed publisher..Ultradeformable vesicles are therefore suitable carriers for the pharmaceutical and cosmetic application of the natural agent asiaticoside. ..
- Tassone E, Sciacqua A, Andreozzi F, Presta I, Perticone M, Carnevale D, et al. Angiotensin (1-7) counteracts the negative effect of angiotensin II on insulin signalling in HUVECs. Cardiovasc Res. 2013;99:129-36 pubmed publisher..The balance between angiotensin II and angiotensin (1-7) could represent a key mechanism in the pathophysiological processes leading to endothelial dysfunction and insulin-resistance. ..
- Janda E, Parafati M, Aprigliano S, Carresi C, Visalli V, Sacco I, et al. The antidote effect of quinone oxidoreductase 2 inhibitor against paraquat-induced toxicity in vitro and in vivo. Br J Pharmacol. 2013;168:46-59 pubmed publisher..CONCLUSIONS AND IMPLICATIONS NMDPEF protected against PQ-induced toxicity in vitro and in vivo, suggesting a key role for QR2 in the regulation of oxidative stress. ..
- Curcio A, Torella D, Indolfi C. Mechanisms of smooth muscle cell proliferation and endothelial regeneration after vascular injury and stenting: approach to therapy. Circ J. 2011;75:1287-96 pubmed..Particular emphasis will be placed on the concept that endothelial regeneration might be pursued as well as reduction of VSMC proliferation to allow stable successful revascularization after DES deployment. ..
- Tagliaferri P, Rossi M, Di Martino M, Amodio N, Leone E, Gulla A, et al. Promises and challenges of MicroRNA-based treatment of multiple myeloma. Curr Cancer Drug Targets. 2012;12:838-46 pubmed
- Pelaia G, Vatrella A, Maselli R. The potential of biologics for the treatment of asthma. Nat Rev Drug Discov. 2012;11:958-72 pubmed publisher..The variability among patients' individual therapeutic responses highlights that it will be necessary to characterize the different asthma subtypes so that phenotype-targeted treatments based on the use of biologics can be implemented. ..
- Andreucci M, Faga T, Russo D, Bertucci B, Tamburrini O, Pisani A, et al. Differential activation of signaling pathways by low-osmolar and iso-osmolar radiocontrast agents in human renal tubular cells. J Cell Biochem. 2014;115:281-9 pubmed publisher..Our study gives an insight into the possible mechanism of toxicity of RCM via their action on intracellular signaling pathways and may help in developing pharmacological interventions for their side-effects. ..
- Iaconetti C, Polimeni A, Sorrentino S, Sabatino J, Pironti G, Esposito G, et al. Inhibition of miR-92a increases endothelial proliferation and migration in vitro as well as reduces neointimal proliferation in vivo after vascular injury. Basic Res Cardiol. 2012;107:296 pubmed publisher..These data provide the first evidence that inhibition of miR-92a may represent a novel strategy to improve endothelial regeneration and reduce restenosis after vascular injury. ..
- Neri P, Tagliaferri P, Di Martino M, Calimeri T, Amodio N, Bulotta A, et al. In vivo anti-myeloma activity and modulation of gene expression profile induced by valproic acid, a histone deacetylase inhibitor. Br J Haematol. 2008;143:520-31 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our data provide the preclinical rationale for VPA clinical evaluation as a single agent or in combination, to improve patient outcome in MM. ..
- Janda E, Nevolo M, Lehmann K, Downward J, Beug H, Grieco M. Raf plus TGFbeta-dependent EMT is initiated by endocytosis and lysosomal degradation of E-cadherin. Oncogene. 2006;25:7117-30 pubmed..Our data indicate that early stages of EMT involve cooperative, post-translational downregulation of E-cadherin, whereas loss of E-cadherin via transcriptional repression is a late event in EMT. ..
- Fulciniti M, Amodio N, Bandi R, Cagnetta A, Samur M, Acharya C, et al. miR-23b/SP1/c-myc forms a feed-forward loop supporting multiple myeloma cell growth. Blood Cancer J. 2016;6:e380 pubmed publisher..Thus MYC-dependent miR-23b repression in myeloma cells may promote activation of oncogenic Sp1-mediated signaling, representing the first feed-forward loop with critical growth and survival role in myeloma. ..
- La Rocca R, Fulciniti M, Lakshmikanth T, Mesuraca M, Ali T, Mazzei V, et al. Early hematopoietic zinc finger protein prevents tumor cell recognition by natural killer cells. J Immunol. 2009;182:4529-37 pubmed publisher..A potential clinical significance of these findings is further suggested by the inverse correlation between EHZF and MHC class I expression levels, and autologous NK susceptibility of freshly explanted multiple myeloma cells. ..
- Mega T, Lupia M, Amodio N, Horton S, Mesuraca M, Pelaggi D, et al. Zinc finger protein 521 antagonizes early B-cell factor 1 and modulates the B-lymphoid differentiation of primary hematopoietic progenitors. Cell Cycle. 2011;10:2129-39 pubmed
- Morcavallo A, Gaspari M, Pandini G, Palummo A, Cuda G, Larsen M, et al. Research resource: New and diverse substrates for the insulin receptor isoform A revealed by quantitative proteomics after stimulation with IGF-II or insulin. Mol Endocrinol. 2011;25:1456-68 pubmed publisher..These findings indicate that IR-A activation by IGF-II elicits a unique signaling pathway that may play a distinct role in physiology and in disease. ..
- Fiume G, Vecchio E, De Laurentiis A, Trimboli F, Palmieri C, Pisano A, et al. Human immunodeficiency virus-1 Tat activates NF-?B via physical interaction with I?B-? and p65. Nucleic Acids Res. 2012;40:3548-62 pubmed publisher..Our results support a novel mechanism of NF-?B activation via physical interaction of Tat with I?B-? and p65, and may contribute to further insights into the deregulation of the inflammatory response by HIV-1. ..
- Amodio N, Leotta M, Bellizzi D, Di Martino M, D Aquila P, Lionetti M, et al. DNA-demethylating and anti-tumor activity of synthetic miR-29b mimics in multiple myeloma. Oncotarget. 2012;3:1246-58 pubmed
- Iiritano S, Chiefari E, Ventura V, Arcidiacono B, Possidente K, Nocera A, et al. The HMGA1-IGF-I/IGFBP system: a novel pathway for modulating glucose uptake. Mol Endocrinol. 2012;26:1578-89 pubmed publisher..We propose that, by affecting the expression of both IGFBP protein species, HMGA1 can serve as a modulator of IGF-I activity, thus representing an important novel mediator of glucose disposal. ..
- Arcidiacono B, Iiritano S, Nocera A, Possidente K, Nevolo M, Ventura V, et al. Insulin resistance and cancer risk: an overview of the pathogenetic mechanisms. Exp Diabetes Res. 2012;2012:789174 pubmed publisher..Here, we summarize recent progress on insulin resistance and cancer, focusing on various implicated mechanisms that have been described recently, and discuss how these mechanisms may contribute to cancer initiation and progression. ..
- Palmieri C, Falcone C, Iaccino E, Tuccillo F, Gaspari M, Trimboli F, et al. In vivo targeting and growth inhibition of the A20 murine B-cell lymphoma by an idiotype-specific peptide binder. Blood. 2010;116:226-38 pubmed publisher..These findings show that a short peptide that binds specifically to the complementarity-determining regions of the A20 BCR allows in vivo detection of neoplastic cells together with significant inhibition of tumor growth in vivo...
- Torella D, Gasparri C, Ellison G, Curcio A, Leone A, Vicinanza C, et al. Differential regulation of vascular smooth muscle and endothelial cell proliferation in vitro and in vivo by cAMP/PKA-activated p85alphaPI3K. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2009;297:H2015-25 pubmed publisher..By reducing neointimal hyperplasia without inhibiting endothelial regeneration, it exerts a protective effect against restenosis after balloon injury. ..
- Amato R, D Antona L, Porciatti G, Agosti V, Menniti M, Rinaldo C, et al. Sgk1 activates MDM2-dependent p53 degradation and affects cell proliferation, survival, and differentiation. J Mol Med (Berl). 2009;87:1221-39 pubmed publisher..Since transcription of Sgk1 is activated by p53, we propose a finely tuned feedback model where Sgk1 down-regulates the expression of p53 by enhancing its mono- and polyubiquitylation. ..
- Procopio C, Andreozzi F, Laratta E, Cassese A, Beguinot F, Arturi F, et al. Leptin-stimulated endothelial nitric-oxide synthase via an adenosine 5'-monophosphate-activated protein kinase/Akt signaling pathway is attenuated by interaction with C-reactive protein. Endocrinology. 2009;150:3584-93 pubmed publisher
- Matera G, Giancotti A, Scalise S, Pulicari M, Maselli R, Piizzi C, et al. Ascaris lumbricoides-induced suppression of total and specific IgE responses in atopic subjects is interleukin 10-independent and associated with an increase of CD25(+) cells. Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis. 2008;62:280-6 pubmed publisher
- Iantorno M, Campia U, Di Daniele N, Nistico S, Forleo G, Cardillo C, et al. Obesity, inflammation and endothelial dysfunction. J Biol Regul Homeost Agents. 2014;28:169-76 pubmed..In this review we discuss the pathophysiological mechanisms underlying inflammation and vascular damage in obese patients. ..
- Torella D, Curcio A, Gasparri C, Galuppo V, De Serio D, Surace F, et al. Fludarabine prevents smooth muscle proliferation in vitro and neointimal hyperplasia in vivo through specific inhibition of STAT-1 activation. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2007;292:H2935-43 pubmed..Fludarabine-eluting stents are feasible and effective in reducing in-stent restenosis in rabbits. ..
- Boito R, Menniti M, Amato R, Palmieri C, Marinaro C, Iuliano R, et al. RFX-1, a putative alpha Adducin interacting protein in a human kidney library. FEBS Lett. 2005;579:6439-43 pubmed..The binding of alpha Adducin to RFX-I and their nuclear co-localization suggests that Adducin can have a role in modulating the transcriptional regulating activity of RFX-I. ..
- Gareri P, Condorelli D, Belluardo N, Russo E, Loiacono A, Barresi V, et al. Anticonvulsant effects of carbenoxolone in genetically epilepsy prone rats (GEPRs). Neuropharmacology. 2004;47:1205-16 pubmed..No anticonvulsant effects were observed following focal bilateral microinjections of glycyrrhizin into the same brain areas where CBX was shown to be effective. ..
- Abenavoli L, Capasso R, Milic N, Capasso F. Milk thistle in liver diseases: past, present, future. Phytother Res. 2010;24:1423-32 pubmed publisher..Silymarin has been used to treat alcoholic liver disease, acute and chronic viral hepatitis and toxin-induced liver diseases. ..
- Di Martino M, Gullà A, Cantafio M, Lionetti M, Leone E, Amodio N, et al. In vitro and in vivo anti-tumor activity of miR-221/222 inhibitors in multiple myeloma. Oncotarget. 2013;4:242-55 pubmed..These findings suggest that MM genotyping may predict the therapeutic response. All together our results support a framework for clinical development of miR-221/222 inhibitors-based therapeutic strategy in this still incurable disease. ..
- Torella D, Iaconetti C, Catalucci D, Ellison G, Leone A, Waring C, et al. MicroRNA-133 controls vascular smooth muscle cell phenotypic switch in vitro and vascular remodeling in vivo. Circ Res. 2011;109:880-93 pubmed publisher..Our data show that miR-133 is a key regulator of vascular smooth muscle cell phenotypic switch in vitro and in vivo, suggesting its potential therapeutic application for vascular diseases. ..
- Nemati M, Larussa T, Khorramdelazad H, Mahmoodi M, Jafarzadeh A. Toll-like receptor 2: An important immunomodulatory molecule during Helicobacter pylori infection. Life Sci. 2017;178:17-29 pubmed publisher..The immunomodulatory and immunoregulatory roles of TLR2 during H. pylori infection were considered in this review. TLR2 could be considered as an interesting therapeutic target for treatment of H. pylori-related diseases. ..
- Gareri C, Iaconetti C, Sorrentino S, Covello C, de Rosa S, Indolfi C. miR-125a-5p Modulates Phenotypic Switch of Vascular Smooth Muscle Cells by Targeting ETS-1. J Mol Biol. 2017;429:1817-1828 pubmed publisher..Thus, miR-125a-5p in this context inhibits PDGF-BB pathway and is therefore a potential regulator of VSMCs phenotypic switch. ..
- Minciacchi V, Spinelli C, Reis Sobreiro M, Cavallini L, You S, Zandian M, et al. MYC Mediates Large Oncosome-Induced Fibroblast Reprogramming in Prostate Cancer. Cancer Res. 2017;77:2306-2317 pubmed publisher..This mechanism offers potential alternative options for patient treatment. Cancer Res; 77(9); 2306-17. ©2017 AACR. ..
- Leone E, Morelli E, Di Martino M, Amodio N, Foresta U, Gullà A, et al. Targeting miR-21 inhibits in vitro and in vivo multiple myeloma cell growth. Clin Cancer Res. 2013;19:2096-106 pubmed publisher..Our findings show the first evidence that in vivo antagonism of miR-21 exerts anti-multiple myeloma activity, providing the rationale for clinical development of miR-21 inhibitors in this still incurable disease. ..
- Foti D, Iuliano R, Chiefari E, Brunetti A. A nucleoprotein complex containing Sp1, C/EBP beta, and HMGI-Y controls human insulin receptor gene transcription. Mol Cell Biol. 2003;23:2720-32 pubmed
- Bond H, Mesuraca M, Amodio N, Mega T, Agosti V, Fanello D, et al. Early hematopoietic zinc finger protein-zinc finger protein 521: a candidate regulator of diverse immature cells. Int J Biochem Cell Biol. 2008;40:848-54 pubmed..EHZF/ZNF521 is also abundant in medulloblastomas and other brain tumours. Taken together, the data available suggest a possible role for this factor in development, stem cell regulation and oncogenesis. ..
- Matera G, Liberto M, Joosten L, Vinci M, Quirino A, Pulicari M, et al. The Janus face of Bartonella quintana recognition by Toll-like receptors (TLRs): a review. Eur Cytokine Netw. 2008;19:113-8 pubmed publisher..In view of the role played by TLR4 in inflammation, B. quintana LPS may be useful as an anti-TLR4 agent with therapeutic potential in both infections and autoimmune inflammation...
- Chiefari E, Iiritano S, Paonessa F, Le Pera I, Arcidiacono B, Filocamo M, et al. Pseudogene-mediated posttranscriptional silencing of HMGA1 can result in insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes. Nat Commun. 2010;1:40 pubmed publisher..These data provide evidence for a regulatory role of an expressed pseudogene in humans and establishes a novel mechanistic linkage between pseudogene HMGA1-p expression and type 2 diabetes mellitus. ..
- Indolfi C, Stabile E, Coppola C, Gallo A, Perrino C, Allevato G, et al. Membrane-bound protein kinase A inhibits smooth muscle cell proliferation in vitro and in vivo by amplifying cAMP-protein kinase A signals. Circ Res. 2001;88:319-24 pubmed..These data indicate that AKAP proteins selectively amplify cAMP-PKA signaling in vitro and in vivo and suggest a possible target for the inhibition of the neointimal hyperplasia after vascular injury. ..
- Cosco D, Rocco F, Ceruti M, Vono M, Fresta M, Paolino D. Self-assembled squalenoyl-cytarabine nanostructures as a potent nanomedicine for treatment of leukemic diseases. Int J Nanomedicine. 2012;7:2535-46 pubmed publisher..Squalenoylation of cytarabine offers several pharmacological benefits both in vitro and in vivo. ..
- Sesti G, Federici M, Hribal M, Lauro D, Sbraccia P, Lauro R. Defects of the insulin receptor substrate (IRS) system in human metabolic disorders. FASEB J. 2001;15:2099-111 pubmed..In contrast, polymorphisms of the other IRS genes do not appear to contribute to type 2 diabetes. ..
- Pera I, Iuliano R, Florio T, Susini C, Trapasso F, Santoro M, et al. The rat tyrosine phosphatase eta increases cell adhesion by activating c-Src through dephosphorylation of its inhibitory phosphotyrosine residue. Oncogene. 2005;24:3187-95 pubmed..Interestingly, the extent of both c-Src dephosphorylation at Tyr 529, FAK and paxillin phosphorylation, and the increased cell adhesion were associated with the degree of r-PTPeta expression. ..
- Gareri P, Condorelli D, Belluardo N, Citraro R, Barresi V, Trovato Salinaro A, et al. Antiabsence effects of carbenoxolone in two genetic animal models of absence epilepsy (WAG/Rij rats and lh/lh mice). Neuropharmacology. 2005;49:551-63 pubmed..No effects were observed in both animal models following systemic or focal administration of glycyrrhizin into the same brain areas where CBX was shown to be effective. ..
- Hribal M, Tornei F, Pujol A, Menghini R, Barcaroli D, Lauro D, et al. Transgenic mice overexpressing human G972R IRS-1 show impaired insulin action and insulin secretion. J Cell Mol Med. 2008;12:2096-106 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, they may become an important tool to test novel tailored therapies. ..
- Curcio A, Torella D, Iaconetti C, Pasceri E, Sabatino J, Sorrentino S, et al. MicroRNA-1 downregulation increases connexin 43 displacement and induces ventricular tachyarrhythmias in rodent hypertrophic hearts. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e70158 pubmed publisher..Treatment of pressure overload-induced myocyte hypertrophy reduces the risk of life-threatening VT by normalizing miR-1 expression levels with the consequent stabilization of Cx43 expression and activity within the gap junction. ..
- Matera G, Muto V, Vinci M, Zicca E, Abdollahi Roodsaz S, van de Veerdonk F, et al. Receptor recognition of and immune intracellular pathways for Veillonella parvula lipopolysaccharide. Clin Vaccine Immunol. 2009;16:1804-9 pubmed publisher..V. parvula LPS-stimulated cytokine induction, as well as p38 MAPK activation, are TLR4-dependent features...
- Tallerico R, Todaro M, Di Franco S, Maccalli C, Garofalo C, Sottile R, et al. Human NK cells selective targeting of colon cancer-initiating cells: a role for natural cytotoxicity receptors and MHC class I molecules. J Immunol. 2013;190:2381-90 pubmed publisher..This study strengthens the idea that biology-based therapy harnessing NK cells could be an attractive opportunity in solid tumors. ..
- Montalcini T, Gorgone G, Gazzaruso C, Romeo S, Bosco D, Pujia A. Brachial artery diameter measurement: a tool to simplify non-invasive vascular assessment. Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis. 2012;22:8-13 pubmed publisher..We would like to examine studies that contributed to clarify the remodeling mechanisms, to explore the different faces of atherosclerosis process...
- Russo E, Citraro R, Scicchitano F, De Fazio S, Perrotta I, Perrota I, et al. Effects of early long-term treatment with antiepileptic drugs on development of seizures and depressive-like behavior in a rat genetic absence epilepsy model. Epilepsia. 2011;52:1341-50 pubmed publisher..Here, we examined the effects of long-term treatment with several AEDs on absence seizure development and onset of depressive-like behavior in WAG/Rij rats at different ages, using a forced swimming test (FST)...
- Janda E, Palmieri C, Pisano A, Pontoriero M, Iaccino E, Falcone C, et al. Btk regulation in human and mouse B cells via protein kinase C phosphorylation of IBtk?. Blood. 2011;117:6520-31 pubmed publisher..These findings identify a novel pathway of Btk regulation via protein kinase C phosphorylation of IBtk?. ..
- Andreozzi F, Procopio C, Greco A, Mannino G, Miele C, Raciti G, et al. Increased levels of the Akt-specific phosphatase PH domain leucine-rich repeat protein phosphatase (PHLPP)-1 in obese participants are associated with insulin resistance. Diabetologia. 2011;54:1879-87 pubmed publisher..Increased abundance of PHLPP-1, production of which is regulated by insulin, may represent a new molecular defect in insulin-resistant states such as obesity. ..
- Romeo F, Costanzo F, Agostini M. Embryonic stem cells and inducible pluripotent stem cells: two faces of the same coin?. Aging (Albany NY). 2012;4:878-86 pubmed
- Trapasso F, Drusco A, Costinean S, Alder H, Aqeilan R, Iuliano R, et al. Genetic ablation of Ptprj, a mouse cancer susceptibility gene, results in normal growth and development and does not predispose to spontaneous tumorigenesis. DNA Cell Biol. 2006;25:376-82 pubmed..Furthermore, neither changes in life span nor spontaneous tumor appearance were observed in Ptprj-null mice. Our results indicate that Ptprj is dispensable for normal growth and development in mice. ..
- Corasaniti M, Piccirilli S, Paoletti A, Nistico R, Stringaro A, Malorni W, et al. Evidence that the HIV-1 coat protein gp120 causes neuronal apoptosis in the neocortex of rat via a mechanism involving CXCR4 chemokine receptor. Neurosci Lett. 2001;312:67-70 pubmed..The mechanism of SDF-1alpha protection involves inhibition of gp120-enhanced expression of IL-1beta, a cytokine implicated in the mechanisms of apoptosis induced by the viral protein in the neocortex of rat. ..
- Chiefari E, Paonessa F, Iiritano S, Le Pera I, Palmieri D, Brunetti G, et al. The cAMP-HMGA1-RBP4 system: a novel biochemical pathway for modulating glucose homeostasis. BMC Biol. 2009;7:24 pubmed publisher..Elucidating these mechanisms has importance for both fundamental biology and therapeutic implications. ..
- Menniti M, Iuliano R, Amato R, Boito R, Corea M, Le Pera I, et al. Serum and glucocorticoid-regulated kinase Sgk1 inhibits insulin-dependent activation of phosphomannomutase 2 in transfected COS-7 cells. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2005;288:C148-55 pubmed..These data provide evidence suggesting that Sgk1 may modulate insulin action on the cotranslational glycosylation of glycoproteins. ..
- Spina R, Filocamo G, Iaccino E, Scicchitano S, Lupia M, Chiarella E, et al. Critical role of zinc finger protein 521 in the control of growth, clonogenicity and tumorigenic potential of medulloblastoma cells. Oncotarget. 2013;4:1280-92 pubmed..Our data strongly support the notion that ZNF521, through the recruitment of the NuRD complex, contributes to the clonogenic growth, migration and tumorigenicity of medulloblastoma cells. ..
- Amodio N, Di Martino M, Foresta U, Leone E, Lionetti M, Leotta M, et al. miR-29b sensitizes multiple myeloma cells to bortezomib-induced apoptosis through the activation of a feedback loop with the transcription factor Sp1. Cell Death Dis. 2012;3:e436 pubmed publisher..Our findings indicate that miR-29b is involved in a regulatory loop amenable of pharmacologic intervention and modulates the anti-MM activity of bortezomib in MM cells. ..
- Mio C, Lavarone E, Conzatti K, Baldan F, Toffoletto B, Puppin C, et al. MCM5 as a target of BET inhibitors in thyroid cancer cells. Endocr Relat Cancer. 2016;23:335-47 pubmed publisher..MCM5 was also overexpressed in a murine model of ATC, and JQ1 treatment reduced Mcm5 mRNA expression in two murine ATC cell lines. Thus, MCM5 could represent a new target in the therapeutic approach against ATC. ..
- Arcone R, Chinali A, Pozzi N, Parafati M, Maset F, Pietropaolo C, et al. Conformational and biochemical characterization of a biologically active rat recombinant Protease Nexin-1 expressed in E. coli. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2009;1794:602-14 pubmed publisher..coli is a suitable expression system for obtaining milligram quantities of pure and fully active rPN-1 for structural and functional studies. ..
- Mollace V, Sacco I, Janda E, Malara C, Ventrice D, Colica C, et al. Hypolipemic and hypoglycaemic activity of bergamot polyphenols: from animal models to human studies. Fitoterapia. 2011;82:309-16 pubmed publisher..Moreover, BPF inhibited HMG-CoA reductase activity and enhanced reactive vasodilation thus representing an efficient phytotherapeutic approach in combating hyperlipemic and hyperglycaemic disorders. ..
- Donato Di Paola E, Gareri P, Davoli A, Gratteri S, Scicchitano F, Naccari C, et al. Influence of levetiracetam on the anticonvulsant efficacy of conventional antiepileptic drugs against audiogenic seizures in DBA/2 mice. Epilepsy Res. 2007;75:112-21 pubmed
- Costa V, Foti D, Paonessa F, Chiefari E, Palaia L, Brunetti G, et al. The insulin receptor: a new anticancer target for peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma (PPARgamma) and thiazolidinedione-PPARgamma agonists. Endocr Relat Cancer. 2008;15:325-35 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate that IR is a new target gene of PPARgamma, and support a potential use of TZDs as anti-proliferative agents in selected neoplastic tissues overexpressing IRs. ..
- Russo E, Citraro R, De Fazio S, Marra R, Gitto R, Chimirri A, et al. Enhancement of anti-absence effects of ethosuximide by low doses of a noncompetitive alpha-amino-3-hydroxy-5-methyl-4-isoxazolepropionic acid (AMPA) receptor antagonist in a genetic animal model of absence epilepsy. Epilepsy Behav. 2008;13:295-9 pubmed publisher
- Spatuzza C, Schiavone M, Di Salle E, Janda E, Sardiello M, Fiume G, et al. Physical and functional characterization of the genetic locus of IBtk, an inhibitor of Bruton's tyrosine kinase: evidence for three protein isoforms of IBtk. Nucleic Acids Res. 2008;36:4402-16 pubmed publisher..These results provide the first characterization of the human IBTK locus and may assist in understanding the in vivo function of IBtk. ..
- Foti D, Chiefari E, Fedele M, Iuliano R, Brunetti L, Paonessa F, et al. Lack of the architectural factor HMGA1 causes insulin resistance and diabetes in humans and mice. Nat Med. 2005;11:765-73 pubmed
- Citraro R, Russo E, Scicchitano F, Van Rijn C, Cosco D, Avagliano C, et al. Antiepileptic action of N-palmitoylethanolamine through CB1 and PPAR-? receptor activation in a genetic model of absence epilepsy. Neuropharmacology. 2013;69:115-26 pubmed publisher..This article is part of the Special Issue entitled 'New Targets and Approaches to the Treatment of Epilepsy'...
- Sarro G, Paola E, Gratteri S, Gareri P, Rispoli V, Siniscalchi A, et al. Fosinopril and zofenopril, two angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors, potentiate the anticonvulsant activity of antiepileptic drugs against audiogenic seizures in DBA/2 mice. Pharmacol Res. 2012;65:285-96 pubmed publisher