Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on saccharomyces cerevisiae proteins in Haifa, Israel
Locale: Haifa, Israel
Topic: saccharomyces cerevisiae proteins
- Matiuhin Y, Kirkpatrick D, Ziv I, Kim W, Dakshinamurthy A, Kleifeld O, et al. Extraproteasomal Rpn10 restricts access of the polyubiquitin-binding protein Dsk2 to proteasome. Mol Cell. 2008;32:415-25 pubmed publisher..This work highlights the importance of polyubiquitin shuttles such as Rpn10 and Dsk2 in controlling the ubiquitin landscape. ..
- Meimoun A, Holtzman T, Weissman Z, McBride H, Stillman D, Fink G, et al. Degradation of the transcription factor Gcn4 requires the kinase Pho85 and the SCF(CDC4) ubiquitin-ligase complex. Mol Biol Cell. 2000;11:915-27 pubmed..Thus, Cdc34/SCF(CDC4) activity is constitutive, and regulation of the stability of its various substrates occurs at the level of their phosphorylation. ..
- Noy T, Suad O, Taglicht D, Ciechanover A. HUWE1 ubiquitinates MyoD and targets it for proteasomal degradation. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2012;418:408-13 pubmed publisher..Here we describe the involvement of HUWE1 in the ubiquitination and proteasomal degradation of MyoD. Furthermore, we show that the ligase can ubiquitinate the protein in its N-terminal residue. ..
- Abutbul Ionita I, Rujiviphat J, Nir I, McQuibban G, Danino D. Membrane tethering and nucleotide-dependent conformational changes drive mitochondrial genome maintenance (Mgm1) protein-mediated membrane fusion. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:36634-8 pubmed publisher..Together our findings provide mechanistic details of the two known in vivo functions of Mgm1, membrane fusion and cristae maintenance, and more generally shed light onto how dynamins may function as fusion proteins. ..
- Aviram S, Simon E, Gildor T, Glaser F, Kornitzer D. Autophosphorylation-induced degradation of the Pho85 cyclin Pcl5 is essential for response to amino acid limitation. Mol Cell Biol. 2008;28:6858-69 pubmed publisher..We demonstrate the importance of this mechanism for the regulation of Gcn4 degradation and for cell growth under conditions of amino acid starvation. ..
- Yosefzon Y, Koh Y, Chritton J, Lande A, Leibovich L, Barziv L, et al. Divergent RNA binding specificity of yeast Puf2p. RNA. 2011;17:1479-88 pubmed publisher..This study expands the repertoire of cis elements bound by PUF proteins and suggests new modes by which PUF proteins recognize their mRNA targets. ..
- Bregman A, Avraham Kelbert M, Barkai O, Duek L, Guterman A, Choder M. Promoter elements regulate cytoplasmic mRNA decay. Cell. 2011;147:1473-83 pubmed publisher..Thus, promoters can play key roles in determining mRNA levels and have the capacity to coordinate rates of mRNA synthesis and decay. ..
- Lotan R, Goler Baron V, Duek L, Haimovich G, Choder M. The Rpb7p subunit of yeast RNA polymerase II plays roles in the two major cytoplasmic mRNA decay mechanisms. J Cell Biol. 2007;178:1133-43 pubmed..Our genetic analyses suggest that Rpb7p plays two distinct roles in mRNA decay, which can both be uncoupled from Rpb7p's role in transcription. Thus, Rpb7p plays pivotal roles in determining mRNA levels. ..
- Guttmann Raviv N, Boger Nadjar E, Edri I, Kassir Y. Cdc28 and Ime2 possess redundant functions in promoting entry into premeiotic DNA replication in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genetics. 2001;159:1547-58 pubmed..The role of Ime2 and Cdc28 in initiating the meiotic pathway is discussed. ..
- Shenhar G, Kassir Y. A positive regulator of mitosis, Sok2, functions as a negative regulator of meiosis in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Cell Biol. 2001;21:1603-12 pubmed..We suggest that cells use the same regulators with opposing effects to ensure that meiosis will be an alternative to mitosis. ..
- Loya A, Pnueli L, Yosefzon Y, Wexler Y, Ziv Ukelson M, Arava Y. The 3'-UTR mediates the cellular localization of an mRNA encoding a short plasma membrane protein. RNA. 2008;14:1352-65 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results reveal an essential role for elements within the 3'-UTR in the localization of an mRNA that is likely to be ignored by the standard signal-dependant mechanism. ..
- Lotan R, Bar On V, Harel Sharvit L, Duek L, Melamed D, Choder M. The RNA polymerase II subunit Rpb4p mediates decay of a specific class of mRNAs. Genes Dev. 2005;19:3004-16 pubmed..In this way, Rpb4p might link the activity of the basal transcription apparatus with that of the mRNA decay machinery. ..
- Szwarcwort Cohen M, Kasulin Boneh Z, Sagee S, Kassir Y. Human Cdk2 is a functional homolog of budding yeast Ime2, the meiosis-specific Cdk-like kinase. Cell Cycle. 2009;8:647-54 pubmed..Cdk2, on the other hand, show dominant negative effects on entry into the cell cycle, most probably by inhibiting the function of Cdc28. Finally, we show that in the meiotic pathway Cdk4 functions as a transcriptional activator. ..
- Eliyahu E, Pnueli L, Melamed D, Scherrer T, Gerber A, Pines O, et al. Tom20 mediates localization of mRNAs to mitochondria in a translation-dependent manner. Mol Cell Biol. 2010;30:284-94 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our data reveal a large-scale mRNA association mode that involves interaction of Tom20p with the translated mitochondrial targeting sequence and may be assisted by Puf3p. ..
- Maytal Kivity V, Piran R, Pick E, Hofmann K, Glickman M. COP9 signalosome components play a role in the mating pheromone response of S. cerevisiae. EMBO Rep. 2002;3:1215-21 pubmed..Csi1, a novel CSN interactor, exhibits opposite phenotypes. Deletants also accumulate Cdc53/cullin in a Rub1-modified form; however, this role of the CSN appears to be distinct from that in the mating pathway. ..
- Ofir A, Kornitzer D. Candida albicans cyclin Clb4 carries S-phase cyclin activity. Eukaryot Cell. 2010;9:1311-9 pubmed publisher..These results have implications for our understanding of the evolution of specificity of the cell cycle cyclins...
- Guttmann Raviv N, Martin S, Kassir Y. Ime2, a meiosis-specific kinase in yeast, is required for destabilization of its transcriptional activator, Ime1. Mol Cell Biol. 2002;22:2047-56 pubmed..We also show that Ime2 itself is an extremely unstable protein whose expression in vegetative cultures is toxic. We propose that a negative-feedback loop ensures that the activity of Ime1 will be restricted to a narrow window. ..
- Rubin Bejerano I, Mandel S, Robzyk K, Kassir Y. Induction of meiosis in Saccharomyces cerevisiae depends on conversion of the transcriptional represssor Ume6 to a positive regulator by its regulated association with the transcriptional activator Ime1. Mol Cell Biol. 1996;16:2518-26 pubmed..However, in the presence of Ime1, or when Ume6 is fused in frame to the Gal4 activation domain, Ume6 is converted from a repressor to an activator, resulting in the transcription of meiosis-specific genes and the formation of asci. ..
- Blumenfeld N, Gonen H, Mayer A, Smith C, Siegel N, Schwartz A, et al. Purification and characterization of a novel species of ubiquitin-carrier protein, E2, that is involved in degradation of non-"N-end rule" protein substrates. J Biol Chem. 1994;269:9574-81 pubmed..The enzyme is also involved in the conjugation and degradation of the tumor suppressor protein p53. ..
- Simon E, Gildor T, Kornitzer D. Phosphorylation of the cyclin CaPcl5 modulates both cyclin stability and specific recognition of the substrate. J Mol Biol. 2013;425:3151-65 pubmed publisher..Remarkably, however, in vitro studies reveal that this phosphorylation also results in a loss of specific substrate recognition, thereby providing an additional novel mechanism for limiting cyclin activity. ..
- Eliyahu E, Lesnik C, Arava Y. The protein chaperone Ssa1 affects mRNA localization to the mitochondria. FEBS Lett. 2012;586:64-9 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results suggest a role for Ssa1 in mediating localization of nascent peptide-ribosome-mRNA complexes to the mitochondria, consistent with a co-translational transport process. ..
- Ziv I, Matiuhin Y, Kirkpatrick D, Erpapazoglou Z, Leon S, Pantazopoulou M, et al. A perturbed ubiquitin landscape distinguishes between ubiquitin in trafficking and in proteolysis. Mol Cell Proteomics. 2011;10:M111.009753 pubmed publisher..We conclude that despite the shared use of the ubiquitin molecule, the two branches of the ubiquitin machinery--the ubiquitin-proteasome system and the ubiquitin trafficking system--were unevenly perturbed by expression of K0 ubiquitin. ..
- Szwarcwort Cohen M, Gurevich V, Sagee S, Kassir Y. Ectopic expression of human Cdk2 and its yeast homolog, Ime2, is deleterious to Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Cell Cycle. 2010;9:4711-9 pubmed
- Melamed D, Bar Ziv L, Truzman Y, Arava Y. Asc1 supports cell-wall integrity near bud sites by a Pkc1 independent mechanism. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e11389 pubmed publisher..We speculate that its role is exerted through translation regulation of bud-site related mRNAs during cells' growth. ..
- Goler Baron V, Selitrennik M, Barkai O, Haimovich G, Lotan R, Choder M. Transcription in the nucleus and mRNA decay in the cytoplasm are coupled processes. Genes Dev. 2008;22:2022-7 pubmed publisher..Hence, by recruiting Rpb4/7, Pol II governs not only transcription but also mRNA decay. ..
- Shemer R, Meimoun A, Holtzman T, Kornitzer D. Regulation of the transcription factor Gcn4 by Pho85 cyclin PCL5. Mol Cell Biol. 2002;22:5395-404 pubmed..The fact that PCL5 is transcriptionally induced in the presence of Gcn4 suggests that it is part of a homeostatic mechanism that reduces Gcn4 levels upon recovery from starvation. ..
- Mandel S, Robzyk K, Kassir Y. IME1 gene encodes a transcription factor which is required to induce meiosis in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Dev Genet. 1994;15:139-47 pubmed..This restored ability is dependent upon galactose induction. We conclude, therefore, that IME1 functions in meiosis as a transcriptional activator. ..
- Braten O, Shabek N, Kravtsova Ivantsiv Y, Ciechanover A. Generation of free ubiquitin chains is up-regulated in stress and facilitated by the HECT domain ubiquitin ligases UFD4 and HUL5. Biochem J. 2012;444:611-7 pubmed publisher..However, it appears that the stress-induced synthesis of free chains is catalyzed by a different ligase, HUL5 (HECT ubiquitin ligase 5), which is also a HECT domain E3...
- de Morgan A, Brodsky L, Ronin Y, Nevo E, Korol A, Kashi Y. Genome-wide analysis of DNA turnover and gene expression in stationary-phase Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Microbiology. 2010;156:1758-71 pubmed publisher..We discuss the relevance and possible connection of these results to DNA repair, mutation and related phenomena in higher eukaryotes. ..
- Guterman A, Glickman M. Complementary roles for Rpn11 and Ubp6 in deubiquitination and proteolysis by the proteasome. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:1729-38 pubmed..The fascinating observation that a single ubiquitin moiety is sufficient for targeting an otherwise stable substrate to proteasomes exposes how rapid deubiquitination of poorly ubiquitinated substrates may counteract degradation. ..
- Sitry D, Seeliger M, Ko T, Ganoth D, Breward S, Itzhaki L, et al. Three different binding sites of Cks1 are required for p27-ubiquitin ligation. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:42233-40 pubmed..The interaction of Skp2 with the substrate is further strengthened by the association of the Cdk-binding site of Cks1 with Cdk2/cyclin E, to which phosphorylated p27 is bound. ..