Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on messenger rna in Jerusalem, Israel
Locale: Jerusalem, Israel
Topic: messenger rna
- Segel M, Izbicki G, Cohen P, Or R, Christensen T, Wallach Dayan S, et al. Role of interferon-gamma in the evolution of murine bleomycin lung fibrosis. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2003;285:L1255-62 pubmed..Absence of IFN-gamma in IFN-gamma knockout mice does not increase pulmonary fibrosis. Endogenous IFN-gamma may play a proinflammatory or profibrotic role in bleomycin-induced lung fibrosis. ..
- Bab I, Smith E, Gavish H, Attar Namdar M, Chorev M, Chen Y, et al. Biosynthesis of osteogenic growth peptide via alternative translational initiation at AUG85 of histone H4 mRNA. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:14474-81 pubmed..Together, our results demonstrate that H4 gene expression diverges at the translational level into the simultaneous parallel production of both H4, a nuclear structural protein, and OGP, an extracellular regulatory peptide. ..
- Puxeddu I, Bader R, Piliponsky A, Reich R, Levi Schaffer F, Berkman N. The CC chemokine eotaxin/CCL11 has a selective profibrogenic effect on human lung fibroblasts. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2006;117:103-10 pubmed..These data demonstrate that eotaxin/CCL11 has a direct and selective profibrogenic effect on lung and bronchial fibroblasts, providing a novel mechanism whereby eotaxin/CCL11 can participate in airway remodeling in asthma. ..
- Azubel M, Wolf S, Sperling J, Sperling R. Three-dimensional structure of the native spliceosome by cryo-electron microscopy. Mol Cell. 2004;15:833-9 pubmed..The features this structure reveals provide new insight into the global architecture of the native splicing machine. ..
- Tzur G, Israel A, Levy A, Benjamin H, Meiri E, Shufaro Y, et al. Comprehensive gene and microRNA expression profiling reveals a role for microRNAs in human liver development. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e7511 pubmed publisher..Our results uncover multiple regulated miRNAs and genes throughout human liver development, and our algorithm assists in identification of novel miRNA targets with potential roles in liver development. ..
- Nechama M, Peng Y, Bell O, Briata P, Gherzi R, Schoenberg D, et al. KSRP-PMR1-exosome association determines parathyroid hormone mRNA levels and stability in transfected cells. BMC Cell Biol. 2009;10:70 pubmed publisher..This represents an unanticipated mechanism by which the decay of an ARE-containing mRNA is facilitated by KSRP and is dependent on both the exosome and an endoribonuclease. ..
- Eimerl S, Orly J. Regulation of steroidogenic genes by insulin-like growth factor-1 and follicle-stimulating hormone: differential responses of cytochrome P450 side-chain cleavage, steroidogenic acute regulatory protein, and 3beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase/isomeras. Biol Reprod. 2002;67:900-10 pubmed..Thus, the mechanism of IGF-1 and FSH synergy remains enigmatic and provides a major challenge for future studies. ..
- Debby Brafman A, Burstyn Cohen T, Klar A, Kalcheim C. F-Spondin, expressed in somite regions avoided by neural crest cells, mediates inhibition of distinct somite domains to neural crest migration. Neuron. 1999;22:475-88 pubmed..Thus, somite-derived F-spondin is an inhibitory signal involved in patterning the segmental migration of NC cells and their topographical segregation within the RS. ..
- Galitzer H, Ben Dov I, Silver J, Naveh Many T. Parathyroid cell resistance to fibroblast growth factor 23 in secondary hyperparathyroidism of chronic kidney disease. Kidney Int. 2010;77:211-8 pubmed publisher..This in vivo resistance is sustained in parathyroid organ culture in vitro...
- Rubinstein R, Simon I. MILANO--custom annotation of microarray results using automatic literature searches. BMC Bioinformatics. 2005;6:12 pubmed..MILANO is available at http://milano.md.huji.ac.il. ..
- Levi R, Ben Dov I, Lavi Moshayoff V, Dinur M, Martin D, Naveh Many T, et al. Increased parathyroid hormone gene expression in secondary hyperparathyroidism of experimental uremia is reversed by calcimimetics: correlation with posttranslational modification of the trans acting factor AUF1. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2006;17:107-12 pubmed..Therefore, uremia and activation of the CaR mediated by calcimimetics modify AUF1 posttranslationally. These modifications in AUF1 correlate with changes in protein-PTH mRNA binding and PTH mRNA levels. ..
- Kilav R, Bell O, LE S, Silver J, Naveh Many T. The parathyroid hormone mRNA 3'-untranslated region AU-rich element is an unstructured functional element. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:2109-16 pubmed..The PTH mRNA 3'-UTR cis-acting element is an open region that utilizes the distinct sequence pattern to determine mRNA stability by its interaction with trans-acting factors. ..
- Meshorer E, Soreq H. Pre-mRNA splicing modulations in senescence. Aging Cell. 2002;1:10-6 pubmed..Here, we review the potential genomic and environmental origins of such changes and discuss the research implications of these findings. ..
- Olswang Y, Cohen H, Papo O, Cassuto H, Croniger C, Hakimi P, et al. A mutation in the peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma-binding site in the gene for the cytosolic form of phosphoenolpyruvate carboxykinase reduces adipose tissue size and fat content in mice. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2002;99:625-30 pubmed
- Zhou S, Turgeman G, Harris S, Leitman D, Komm B, Bodine P, et al. Estrogens activate bone morphogenetic protein-2 gene transcription in mouse mesenchymal stem cells. Mol Endocrinol. 2003;17:56-66 pubmed..Estrogenic compounds may enhance bone formation by increasing the transcription of the BMP-2 gene. ..
- Bloch G, Rubinstein C, Robinson G. period expression in the honey bee brain is developmentally regulated and not affected by light, flight experience, or colony type. Insect Biochem Mol Biol. 2004;34:879-91 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that the rate of developmental elevation in per expression is influenced by factors other than the ones studied in our experiments, and that young bees are more sensitive to these factors than foragers...
- Tam J, Ofek O, Fride E, Ledent C, Gabet Y, Muller R, et al. Involvement of neuronal cannabinoid receptor CB1 in regulation of bone mass and bone remodeling. Mol Pharmacol. 2006;70:786-92 pubmed..Unraveling these differences can provide useful information on the physiologic functional milieu of CB1 in bone. ..
- Shemesh O, Spira M. Hallmark cellular pathology of Alzheimer's disease induced by mutant human tau expression in cultured Aplysia neurons. Acta Neuropathol. 2010;120:209-22 pubmed publisher..Based on the present study, it is conceivable that this system can also be used to screen for reagents that alter the pathological cascades...
- Deutsch D, Palmon A, Dafni L, Mao Z, Leytin V, Young M, et al. Tuftelin--aspects of protein and gene structure. Eur J Oral Sci. 1998;106 Suppl 1:315-23 pubmed..The timing of tuftelin expression and its possible roles in enamel formation are discussed. ..
- Stolovich M, Tang H, Hornstein E, Levy G, Cohen R, Bae S, et al. Transduction of growth or mitogenic signals into translational activation of TOP mRNAs is fully reliant on the phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase-mediated pathway but requires neither S6K1 nor rpS6 phosphorylation. Mol Cell Biol. 2002;22:8101-13 pubmed..It therefore appears that translation of TOP mRNAs is primarily regulated by growth and mitogenic cues through the PI3-kinase pathway, with a minor role, if any, for the mTOR pathway. ..
- Puxeddu I, Alian A, Piliponsky A, Ribatti D, Panet A, Levi Schaffer F. Human peripheral blood eosinophils induce angiogenesis. Int J Biochem Cell Biol. 2005;37:628-36 pubmed..This strongly suggests an important role of eosinophils in angiogenesis-associated diseases such as asthma. ..
- Shemesh M, Tam A, Steinberg D. Differential gene expression profiling of Streptococcus mutans cultured under biofilm and planktonic conditions. Microbiology. 2007;153:1307-17 pubmed..This study provides a genome-scale synopsis and adds important insights into gene expression in biofilm development processes of S. mutans, which are strongly associated with the pathogenesis of dental diseases. ..
- Bryk B, Benmoyal Segal L, Podoly E, Livnah O, Eisenkraft A, Luria S, et al. Inherited and acquired interactions between ACHE and PON1 polymorphisms modulate plasma acetylcholinesterase and paraoxonase activities. J Neurochem. 2005;92:1216-27 pubmed..Our findings demonstrate that polymorphism(s) in the adjacent PON1 and ACHE genes affect each other's expression, predicting for carriers of biochemically debilitating ACHE/PON1 polymorphisms adverse genome-environment interactions. ..
- Moz Y, Levi R, Lavi Moshayoff V, Cox K, Molkentin J, Silver J, et al. Calcineurin Abeta is central to the expression of the renal type II Na/Pi co-transporter gene and to the regulation of renal phosphate transport. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2004;15:2972-80 pubmed..These results suggest that the use of calcineurin inhibitors contributes to the renal Pi wasting seen in renal transplant patients. ..
- Bandah D, Swissa T, Ben Shlomo G, Banin E, Ofri R, Sharon D. A complex expression pattern of Pax6 in the pigeon retina. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2007;48:2503-9 pubmed publisher..The variability in the length of the paired domain suggests that the different Pax6 isoforms activate different sets of genes...
- Soreq H, Ben Aziz R, Prody C, Seidman S, Gnatt A, Neville L, et al. Molecular cloning and construction of the coding region for human acetylcholinesterase reveals a G + C-rich attenuating structure. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1990;87:9688-92 pubmed..Thus, the human AcChoEase gene includes a putative G + C-rich attenuator domain and is subject to structural alterations in cases of AcChoEase gene amplification. ..
- Dinur M, Kilav R, Sela Brown A, Jacquemin Sablon H, Naveh Many T. In vitro evidence that upstream of N-ras participates in the regulation of parathyroid hormone messenger ribonucleic acid stability. Mol Endocrinol. 2006;20:1652-60 pubmed..Therefore, Unr binds to the PTH cis element and increases PTH mRNA levels, as does AU-rich binding factor 1. Our results suggest that Unr, together with the other proteins in the RNA binding complex, determines PTH mRNA stability. ..
- Gutfeld O, Prus D, Ackerman Z, Dishon S, Linke R, Levin M, et al. Expression of serum amyloid A, in normal, dysplastic, and neoplastic human colonic mucosa: implication for a role in colonic tumorigenesis. J Histochem Cytochem. 2006;54:63-73 pubmed..These findings indicate local and differential expression of SAA in human colon cancer tissues and suggest its role in colonic tumorigenesis. ..
- Gruenbaum Cohen Y, Tucker A, Haze A, Shilo D, Taylor A, Shay B, et al. Amelogenin in cranio-facial development: the tooth as a model to study the role of amelogenin during embryogenesis. J Exp Zool B Mol Dev Evol. 2009;312B:445-57 pubmed publisher..The present results indicate that amelogenin has an important role in many tissues of the cranio-facial complex during mouse embryonic development and differentiation, and might be a multifunctional protein. ..
- Resnick M, Roguel Resnick N, Bercovier H, Levy L, Toledo J, Zipori D. Detection of interleukin-3 in the serum of mice infected with Mycobacterium lepraemurium. J Infect Dis. 1990;162:1202-4 pubmed..Finally, a 1-kb signal of IL-3 RNA was detected in the spleens of M. lepraemurium-infected mice 13 weeks after infection...
- Meyuhas O, Klein A. The mouse ribosomal protein L7 gene. Its primary structure and functional analysis of the promoter region. J Biol Chem. 1990;265:11465-73 pubmed
- Agranat L, Raitskin O, Sperling J, Sperling R. The editing enzyme ADAR1 and the mRNA surveillance protein hUpf1 interact in the cell nucleus. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:5028-33 pubmed publisher..This study suggests a regulatory pathway by a combination of ADAR1 A-to-I editing enzyme and RNA degradation presumably with the aid of hUpf1...
- Vogel J, Argaman L, Wagner E, Altuvia S. The small RNA IstR inhibits synthesis of an SOS-induced toxic peptide. Curr Biol. 2004;14:2271-6 pubmed..Our study adds the SOS regulon to the growing list of global regulatory circuits controlled by sRNA genes. ..
- Galitzer H, Lavi Moshayoff V, Nechama M, Meir T, Silver J, Naveh Many T. The calcium-sensing receptor regulates parathyroid hormone gene expression in transfected HEK293 cells. BMC Biol. 2009;7:17 pubmed publisher..This is the first demonstration that the calcium receptor can regulate parathyroid hormone gene expression in heterologous cells. ..
- Riahi Y, Sin Malia Y, Cohen G, Alpert E, Gruzman A, Eckel J, et al. The natural protective mechanism against hyperglycemia in vascular endothelial cells: roles of the lipid peroxidation product 4-hydroxydodecadienal and peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor delta. Diabetes. 2010;59:808-18 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our data show that 4-HDDE plays a central role in the downregulation of glucose uptake in VECs by activating PPARdelta. ..
- Knafo A, Israel S, Darvasi A, Bachner Melman R, Uzefovsky F, Cohen L, et al. Individual differences in allocation of funds in the dictator game associated with length of the arginine vasopressin 1a receptor RS3 promoter region and correlation between RS3 length and hippocampal mRNA. Genes Brain Behav. 2008;7:266-75 pubmed..The finding that the same gene contributing to social bonding in lower animals also appears to operate similarly in human behavior suggests a common evolutionary mechanism. ..
- Bdolah Y, Segal A, Tanksale P, Karumanchi S, Lecker S. Atrophy-related ubiquitin ligases atrogin-1 and MuRF-1 are associated with uterine smooth muscle involution in the postpartum period. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2007;292:R971-6 pubmed..These results raise the possibility that activation of atrogin-1 and MuRF-1 may be a common general adaptation in cells undergoing a rapid reduction in size. ..
- Halevi S, Yassin L, Eshel M, Sala F, Sala S, Criado M, et al. Conservation within the RIC-3 gene family. Effectors of mammalian nicotinic acetylcholine receptor expression. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:34411-7 pubmed
- Israel S, Lerer E, Shalev I, Uzefovsky F, Reibold M, Bachner Melman R, et al. Molecular genetic studies of the arginine vasopressin 1a receptor (AVPR1a) and the oxytocin receptor (OXTR) in human behaviour: from autism to altruism with some notes in between. Prog Brain Res. 2008;170:435-49 pubmed publisher..Ultimately, investigators should strive to develop a cohesive model explaining how genomic variations are translated into individual and group differences in higher-order social behaviours. ..
- Deutsch D, Leiser Y, Shay B, Fermon E, Taylor A, Rosenfeld E, et al. The human tuftelin gene and the expression of tuftelin in mineralizing and nonmineralizing tissues. Connect Tissue Res. 2002;43:425-34 pubmed
- Nechama M, Ben Dov I, Silver J, Naveh Many T. Regulation of PTH mRNA stability by the calcimimetic R568 and the phosphorus binder lanthanum carbonate in CKD. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2009;296:F795-800 pubmed publisher..Therefore, the calcimimetic R568 and correction of serum phosphorus by La determine PTH mRNA stability through KSRP-mediated recruitment of a degradation complex to the PTH mRNA, thereby decreasing PTH expression. ..
- Raboy B, Marom A, Dor Y, Kulka R. Heat-induced cell cycle arrest of Saccharomyces cerevisiae: involvement of the RAD6/UBC2 and WSC2 genes in its reversal. Mol Microbiol. 1999;32:729-39 pubmed..Taken together the findings point to the existence of an unidentified heat stress-activated cell cycle checkpoint pathway, which is antagonized by Rad6p by a mechanism also involving Wsc2p. ..
- Sonnenblick A, Levy C, Razin E. Interplay between MITF, PIAS3, and STAT3 in mast cells and melanocytes. Mol Cell Biol. 2004;24:10584-92 pubmed..This regulatory mechanism is of considerable importance since it is likely to advance the deciphering of a role for MITF and STAT3 in mast cells and melanocytes. ..
- Lee Y, Tuckerman J, Nechushtan H, Schutz G, Razin E, Angel P. c-Fos as a regulator of degranulation and cytokine production in FcepsilonRI-activated mast cells. J Immunol. 2004;173:2571-7 pubmed..These findings show that c-Fos plays an important role in FcepsilonRI-mediated regulation of mast cell function. ..
- Meshorer E, Toiber D, Zurel D, Sahly I, Dori A, Cagnano E, et al. Combinatorial complexity of 5' alternative acetylcholinesterase transcripts and protein products. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:29740-51 pubmed..Alternative promoter usage combined with alternative splicing may thus lead to stress-dependent combinatorial complexity of AChE mRNA transcripts and their protein products. ..
- Boneh A, Korman S, Sato K, Kanno J, Matsubara Y, Lerer I, et al. A single nucleotide substitution that abolishes the initiator methionine codon of the GLDC gene is prevalent among patients with glycine encephalopathy in Jerusalem. J Hum Genet. 2005;50:230-4 pubmed..A methionine to threonine change in the initiation codon of the glycine decarboxylase gene led to markedly reduced glycine decarboxylase mRNA levels and abolished glycine cleavage system activity. ..
- Raas Rothschild A, Cormier Daire V, Bao M, Genin E, Salomon R, Brewer K, et al. Molecular basis of variant pseudo-hurler polydystrophy (mucolipidosis IIIC). J Clin Invest. 2000;105:673-81 pubmed..This is to our knowledge the first description of the molecular basis for a human mucolipidosis and suggests that the gamma subunit functions in lysosomal hydrolase recognition...
- Dor Y, Melton D. Facultative endocrine progenitor cells in the adult pancreas. Cell. 2008;132:183-4 pubmed publisher..These neurogenin3-positive facultative endocrine progenitor cells in the adult pancreas may be of potential value for treating diabetes. ..
- Linde L, Kerem B. Introducing sense into nonsense in treatments of human genetic diseases. Trends Genet. 2008;24:552-63 pubmed publisher..A deeper understanding of the molecular basis for variable response to readthrough of PTCs is necessary so that appropriate therapies can be developed to treat many human genetic diseases caused by PTCs. ..
- Shteyer E, Saada A, Shaag A, Al Hijawi F, Kidess R, Revel Vilk S, et al. Exocrine pancreatic insufficiency, dyserythropoeitic anemia, and calvarial hyperostosis are caused by a mutation in the COX4I2 gene. Am J Hum Genet. 2009;84:412-7 pubmed publisher..Mutation analysis of COX4I2 is warranted in patients with malabsorption due to exocrine pancreatic insufficiency and in patients with dyserythropoeitic anemia...
- Mendelson I, Gottesman M, Oppenheim A. HU and integration host factor function as auxiliary proteins in cleavage of phage lambda cohesive ends by terminase. J Bacteriol. 1991;173:1670-6 pubmed..We propose that HU or IHF is required to establish the higher-order DNA-protein structure at cos that is the substrate for lambda terminase. ..
- Elloul S, Elstrand M, Nesland J, Trope C, Kvalheim G, Goldberg I, et al. Snail, Slug, and Smad-interacting protein 1 as novel parameters of disease aggressiveness in metastatic ovarian and breast carcinoma. Cancer. 2005;103:1631-43 pubmed..This finding was in agreement with the stronger suppression of E-cadherin by Snail and Sip1 in breast carcinoma effusions, a clinical condition associated with extremely poor survival. ..
- Urieli Shoval S, Cohen P, Eisenberg S, Matzner Y. Widespread expression of serum amyloid A in histologically normal human tissues. Predominant localization to the epithelium. J Histochem Cytochem. 1998;46:1377-84 pubmed..Immunohistochemical staining revealed SAA protein expression that co-localized with SAA mRNA expression. These data indicate local production of the SAA proteins in histologically normal human extrahepatic tissues. ..
- Tanos V, Ariel I, Prus D, de Groot N, Hochberg A. H19 and IGF2 gene expression in human normal, hyperplastic, and malignant endometrium. Int J Gynecol Cancer. 2004;14:521-5 pubmed..IGF2 expression did not appear useful for diagnostic or prognostic purposes. ..
- Goldenberg D, Azar I, Oppenheim A. Differential mRNA stability of the cspA gene in the cold-shock response of Escherichia coli. Mol Microbiol. 1996;19:241-8 pubmed..The expression of cspA is also regulated, to a smaller extent, by the relative increase in transcription after transfer to low temperature. A model by which cspA mRNA is regulated in response to temperature shift is discussed. ..
- Ruvinsky I, Sharon N, Lerer T, Cohen H, Stolovich Rain M, Nir T, et al. Ribosomal protein S6 phosphorylation is a determinant of cell size and glucose homeostasis. Genes Dev. 2005;19:2199-211 pubmed..These mice suffer from diminished levels of pancreatic insulin, hypoinsulinemia, and impaired glucose tolerance. ..
- Tang H, Hornstein E, Stolovich M, Levy G, Livingstone M, Templeton D, et al. Amino acid-induced translation of TOP mRNAs is fully dependent on phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase-mediated signaling, is partially inhibited by rapamycin, and is independent of S6K1 and rpS6 phosphorylation. Mol Cell Biol. 2001;21:8671-83 pubmed
- Scherzer P, Nachliel I, Ziv E, Bar On H, Popovtzer M. Effects of variations in food intake on renal sodium pump activity and its gene expression in Psammomys kidney. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2000;279:F1124-31 pubmed..Increased Na-K-ATPase activity and mRNA in fasting suggest transition to Na-K-ATPase- dependent Na transport...
- Leiser Y, Silverstein N, Blumenfeld A, Shilo D, Haze A, Rosenfeld E, et al. The induction of tuftelin expression in PC12 cell line during hypoxia and NGF-induced differentiation. J Cell Physiol. 2011;226:165-72 pubmed publisher..Revealing the physiological role of tuftelin will clarify mechanisms related to the "hypoxic genome," and NGF-induced neurotrophic and angiogenic effects. ..
- Guttmann Rubinstein L, Lichtstein D, Ilani A, Gal Moscovici A, Scherzer P, Rubinger D. Evidence of a parathyroid hormone-independent chronic effect of estrogen on renal phosphate handling and sodium-dependent phosphate cotransporter type IIa expression. Horm Metab Res. 2010;42:230-6 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that chronic estrogen treatment is associated with an inhibitory, PTH-independent effect on the expression of NaPiIIa in the kidney, leading to sex-related differences in phosphate balance. ..
- Inbal N, Listovsky T, Brandeis M. The mammalian Fizzy and Fizzy-related genes are regulated at the transcriptional and post-transcriptional levels. FEBS Lett. 1999;463:350-4 pubmed..This result is puzzling because Fzr is essential for cyclosome activity in G1, and points to a complex pattern of Fzr regulation. ..
- Nechama M, Uchida T, Mor Yosef Levi I, Silver J, Naveh Many T. The peptidyl-prolyl isomerase Pin1 determines parathyroid hormone mRNA levels and stability in rat models of secondary hyperparathyroidism. J Clin Invest. 2009;119:3102-14 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that Pin1 is a key mediator of PTH mRNA stability and indicate a role for Pin1 in the pathogenesis of secondary hyperparathyroidism in individuals with CKD. ..
- Nechushtan H, Leitges M, Cohen C, Kay G, Razin E. Inhibition of degranulation and interleukin-6 production in mast cells derived from mice deficient in protein kinase Cbeta. Blood. 2000;95:1752-7 pubmed..However, no significant changes were observed in the proliferative response of the mast cells to interleukin 3 (IL-3) or in their apoptotic rate after IL-3 depletion. (Blood. 2000;95:1752-1757) ..
- Zcharia E, Jia J, Zhang X, Baraz L, Lindahl U, Peretz T, et al. Newly generated heparanase knock-out mice unravel co-regulation of heparanase and matrix metalloproteinases. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e5181 pubmed publisher..Generation of viable Hpse-KO mice lacking significant abnormalities may provide a promising indication for the use of heparanase as a target for drug development. ..
- Friedlaender M, Wald H, Dranitzki Elhalel M, Zajicek H, Levi M, Popovtzer M. Vitamin D reduces renal NaPi-2 in PTH-infused rats: complexity of vitamin D action on renal P(i) handling. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2001;281:F428-33 pubmed..The effect of chronic administration of 1,25(OH)(2)D(3) has not been noted previously, and the cellular mechanisms and signaling processes that mediate the decrease in NaPi-2 remain to be determined...
- Gluck N, Schwob O, Krimsky M, Yedgar S. Activation of cytosolic phospholipase A2 and fatty acid transacylase is essential but not sufficient for thrombin-induced smooth muscle cell proliferation. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2008;294:C1597-603 pubmed publisher..However, the PAR-1 inhibitor did not prevent thrombin-induced mRNA expression of cPLA2 and LPAAT, implying that the activation of cPLA2 and LPAAT is essential but not sufficient for thrombin-induced proliferation of BASMCs. ..
- Zick A, Onn I, Bezalel R, Margalit H, Shlomai J. Assigning functions to genes: identification of S-phase expressed genes in Leishmania major based on post-transcriptional control elements. Nucleic Acids Res. 2005;33:4235-42 pubmed..It is suggested that screening for post-transcriptional control elements associated with a specific function provides an efficient method for assigning functions to trypanosomatid genes...
- Saada A, Shaag A, Mandel H, Nevo Y, Eriksson S, Elpeleg O. Mutant mitochondrial thymidine kinase in mitochondrial DNA depletion myopathy. Nat Genet. 2001;29:342-4 pubmed publisher..Mutations in TK2 represent a new etiology for mitochondrial DNA depletion, underscoring the importance of the mitochondrial dNTP pool in the pathogenesis of mitochondrial depletion...
- Nissim Rafinia M, Aviram M, Randell S, Shushi L, Ozeri E, Chiba Falek O, et al. Restoration of the cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator function by splicing modulation. EMBO Rep. 2004;5:1071-7 pubmed..These results highlight the therapeutic potential of splicing modulation for genetic diseases caused by splicing mutations. ..
- Aviv M, Giladi H, Schreiber G, Oppenheim A, Glaser G. Expression of the genes coding for the Escherichia coli integration host factor are controlled by growth phase, rpoS, ppGpp and by autoregulation. Mol Microbiol. 1994;14:1021-31 pubmed..All three sites show low binding affinity to IHF suggesting that autoregulation can take place only after sufficiently high levels of IHF accumulate in the cell. ..
- Ben Asouli Y, Banai Y, Hauser H, Kaempfer R. Recognition of 5'-terminal TAR structure in human immunodeficiency virus-1 mRNA by eukaryotic translation initiation factor 2. Nucleic Acids Res. 2000;28:1011-8 pubmed..Indeed, the 3 nt change that reduces the affinity of TAR for eIF2 impairs the ability of reporter mRNA to compete in translation. Interaction of TAR with eIF2 thus allows HIV-1 mRNA to compete more effectively during protein synthesis. ..
- Vlodavsky I, Friedmann Y, Elkin M, Aingorn H, Atzmon R, Ishai Michaeli R, et al. Mammalian heparanase: gene cloning, expression and function in tumor progression and metastasis. Nat Med. 1999;5:793-802 pubmed..Cloning of the heparanase gene enables the development of specific molecular probes for early detection and treatment of cancer metastasis and autoimmune disorders. ..
- Agranat L, Sperling J, Sperling R. A novel tissue-specific alternatively spliced form of the A-to-I RNA editing enzyme ADAR2. RNA Biol. 2010;7:253-62 pubmed..The high conservation of the novel ADAR2 alternative exon in mammals indicates a physiological importance for this exon. ..
- Bargal R, Avidan N, Ben Asher E, Olender Z, Zeigler M, Frumkin A, et al. Identification of the gene causing mucolipidosis type IV. Nat Genet. 2000;26:118-23 pubmed..Thus, positional cloning was an alternative to identify the MLIV gene. We report here the identification of a new gene in this human chromosomal region in which MLIV-specific mutations were identified...
- Krichevsky A, Metzer E, Rosen H. Translational control of specific genes during differentiation of HL-60 cells. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:14295-305 pubmed
- Eisenberg I, Hochner H, Levi T, Yelin R, Kahan T, Mitrani Rosenbaum S. Cloning and characterization of a novel human gene RNF38 encoding a conserved putative protein with a RING finger domain. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2002;294:1169-76 pubmed..The involvement of this chromosomal segment in a large number of human diseases and in particular in various types of malignancies urges the assessment of the potential functional role of RNF38 in these disorders. ..
- Malamud V, Vaaknin A, Abramsky O, Mor M, Burgess L, Ben Yehudah A, et al. Tryptase activates peripheral blood mononuclear cells causing the synthesis and release of TNF-alpha, IL-6 and IL-1 beta: possible relevance to multiple sclerosis. J Neuroimmunol. 2003;138:115-22 pubmed..Our findings suggest that tryptase is, most probably, an important mediator of inflammation in MS. ..
- Maloyan A, Eli Berchoer L, Semenza G, Gerstenblith G, Stern M, Horowitz M. HIF-1alpha-targeted pathways are activated by heat acclimation and contribute to acclimation-ischemic cross-tolerance in the heart. Physiol Genomics. 2005;23:79-88 pubmed..We conclude that HIF-1 contributes to the acclimation-ischemia cross-tolerance mechanism in the heart by induction of both chronic and inducible adaptive components. ..
- Munitz A, Bachelet I, Finkelman F, Rothenberg M, Levi Schaffer F. CD48 is critically involved in allergic eosinophilic airway inflammation. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2007;175:911-8 pubmed..Our results suggest that CD48 is critically involved in allergic eosinophilic airway inflammation. As such, CD48 may provide a new potential target for the suppression of asthma. ..