Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on animals in Haifa, Israel
Locale: Haifa, Israel
Publications287 found, 100 shown here
- Nadjar Boger E, Funkenstein B. Myostatin-2 gene structure and polymorphism of the promoter and first intron in the marine fish Sparus aurata: evidence for DNA duplications and/or translocations. BMC Genet. 2011;12:22 pubmed publisher..These results show for the first time a substantial degree of polymorphism in both the promoter and first intron of MSTN-2 gene in a perciform fish species which points to chromosomal rearrangements that took place during evolution. ..
- Gish M, Dafni A, Inbar M. Avoiding incidental predation by mammalian herbivores: accurate detection and efficient response in aphids. Naturwissenschaften. 2011;98:731-8 pubmed publisher..The accurate and efficient defense mechanism of U. sonchi emphasizes the significance of incidental predation as a danger to plant-dwelling invertebrates...
- Kershenbaum A, Stone L, Ostfeld R, Blaustein L. Modelling transmission of vector-borne pathogens shows complex dynamics when vector feeding sites are limited. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e36730 pubmed publisher..We argue that when vector-feeding sites on hosts are limiting, the net effect of increasing host diversity might not be correctly predicted using simple frequency-dependent epidemiological models. ..
- Paz S, Malkinson D, Green M, Tsioni G, Papa A, Danis K, et al. Permissive summer temperatures of the 2010 European West Nile fever upsurge. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e56398 pubmed publisher..The objective of this study was to identify potential drivers of these outbreaks, such as spring and summer temperatures, relative humidity (RH), and precipitation...
- Ciechanover A, Stanhill A. The complexity of recognition of ubiquitinated substrates by the 26S proteasome. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2014;1843:86-96 pubmed publisher..This article is part of a Special Issue entitled: Ubiquitin-Proteasome System. Guest Editors: Thomas Sommer and Dieter H. Wolf. ..
- Paz S, Semenza J. Environmental drivers of West Nile fever epidemiology in Europe and Western Asia--a review. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2013;10:3543-62 pubmed publisher..Monitoring epidemic precursors of WNF, such as significant temperature deviations in high risk areas, could be used to trigger vector control programs and public education campaigns. ..
- Sosnik A. Reversal of multidrug resistance by the inhibition of ATP-binding cassette pumps employing "Generally Recognized As Safe" (GRAS) nanopharmaceuticals: A review. Adv Drug Deliv Rev. 2013;65:1828-51 pubmed publisher..Then, the different attempts to capitalize on the activity of GRAS nanopharmaceuticals as ABC inhibitors are discussed...
- Katzir Y, Elhanati Y, Averbukh I, Braun E. Dynamics of the cell-cycle network under genome-rewiring perturbations. Phys Biol. 2013;10:066001 pubmed publisher..Our model suggests that the topology of the cell-cycle core network ensures its plasticity and flexible interface with other cellular processes, without a need for an optimal setting of the kinetic parameters. ..
- Li Q, Zemel E, Miller B, Perlman I. NADPH diaphorase activity in the rat retina during the early stages of experimental diabetes. Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol. 2003;241:747-56 pubmed..Our findings are consistent with the hypothesis that high glucose levels are deleterious to the rat retina and that excessive synthesis of NO may contribute to the development of diabetic retinopathy. ..
- Baron D, Assaraf Y, Drori S, Aronheim A. Disruption of transport activity in a D93H mutant thiamine transporter 1, from a Rogers Syndrome family. Eur J Biochem. 2003;270:4469-77 pubmed..Hence, this functional characterization of the D93H mutation provides a molecular basis for Rogers syndrome. ..
- Avron J, Gat O, Kenneth O. Optimal swimming at low Reynolds numbers. Phys Rev Lett. 2004;93:186001 pubmed..We find the optimal swimmer within a certain class of two-dimensional swimmers using conformal mapping techniques. ..
- Yeshurun R, Zaidner Y, Eisenmann V, Martinez Navarro B, Bar Oz G. Lower Paleolithic hominin ecology at the fringe of the desert: Faunal remains from Bizat Ruhama and Nahal Hesi, Northern Negev, Israel. J Hum Evol. 2011;60:492-507 pubmed publisher..It is suggested that the two sites, coupled with the nearby Late Pleistocene evidence, reflect a largely stable semiarid environment on the northwestern fringe of the Negev Desert throughout much of the Pleistocene. ..
- ..We propose the novel hypothesis that altering the homeostatic process during cellular depletion can reverse aging in the hematopoietic system. ..
- Rosenblat M, Elias A, Volkova N, Aviram M. Monocyte-macrophage membrane possesses free radicals scavenging activity: stimulation by polyphenols or by paraoxonase 1 (PON1). Free Radic Res. 2013;47:257-67 pubmed publisher..We conclude that monocytes-macrophages possess free radicals scavenging activity, which is decreased under atherogenic conditions, and increased upon cell enrichment with potent antioxidants such as nutritional polyphenols, or PON1...
- Avivi A, Albrecht U, Oster H, Joel A, Beiles A, Nevo E. Biological clock in total darkness: the Clock/MOP3 circadian system of the blind subterranean mole rat. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2001;98:13751-6 pubmed publisher..Understanding Clock/MOP3 function could highlight circadian mechanisms in blind mammals and their unique pattern as a result of adapting to life underground...
- Salomon I, Netzer N, Wildbaum G, Schif Zuck S, Maor G, Karin N. Targeting the function of IFN-gamma-inducible protein 10 suppresses ongoing adjuvant arthritis. J Immunol. 2002;169:2685-93 pubmed..e., macrophage-induced gene and IFN-inducible T cell alpha chemoattractant) and yet significantly blocked not only adjuvant-induced arthritis but also the in vivo competence to mount delayed-type hypersensitivity. ..
- Green J, Goldberg R, Maor G. PTH ameliorates acidosis-induced adverse effects in skeletal growth centers: the PTH-IGF-I axis. Kidney Int. 2003;63:487-500 pubmed..This study lends further credence to the notion that under certain conditions, PTH or PTHrP can exert anabolic effects in the skeleton. These findings may be of clinical-therapeutic significance in children and patients with CMA. ..
- Gazit V, Ben Abraham R, Rudin M, Katz Y. Glucose-lowering effect of beta-phenylpyruvate in neonatal mice: a possible mechanism for phenylketonuria-related neurodegenerative changes. Brain Res Dev Brain Res. 2003;141:137-40 pubmed..Accordingly, we hypothesize that the central neural damage in phenylketonuria might be caused by these recurrent beta-phenylpyruvate-induced hypoglycemic events. ..
- Avivi A, Ashur Fabian O, Amariglio N, Nevo E, Rechavi G. p53--a key player in tumoral and evolutionary adaptation: a lesson from the Israeli blind subterranean mole rat. Cell Cycle. 2005;4:368-72 pubmed
- Weisz Hubsman M, Volinsky N, Manser E, Yablonski D, Aronheim A. Autophosphorylation-dependent degradation of Pak1, triggered by the Rho-family GTPase, Chp. Biochem J. 2007;404:487-97 pubmed..Collectively, our results demonstrate a novel mechanism of signal termination mediated by the Rho-family GTPases Chp and Cdc42, which results in ubiquitin-mediated degradation of one of their direct effectors, Pak1. ..
- Finberg J, Sader Mazbar O. Modification of L-DOPA pharmacological activity by MAO inhibitors. J Neural Transm (Vienna). 2007;114:801-5 pubmed..MAO-B as well as MAO-A may contribute to deamination of dopamine produced from L-DOPA. ..
- Hantsis Zacharov E, Halpern M. Chryseobacterium haifense sp. nov., a psychrotolerant bacterium isolated from raw milk. Int J Syst Evol Microbiol. 2007;57:2344-8 pubmed..nov. is proposed...
- Nakhoul F, Miller Lotan R, Awad H, Asleh R, Jad K, Nakhoul N, et al. Pharmacogenomic effect of vitamin E on kidney structure and function in transgenic mice with the haptoglobin 2-2 genotype and diabetes mellitus. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2009;296:F830-8 pubmed publisher..These studies serve to strengthen the association between the Hp 2-2 genotype and diabetic renal disease and suggest a pharmacogenomic interaction may exist between the Hp genotype and vitamin E. ..
- Arieli R, Boaron E, Abramovich A. Combined effect of denucleation and denitrogenation on the risk of decompression sickness in rats. J Appl Physiol (1985). 2009;106:1453-8 pubmed publisher..This may have practical application before escape from a disabled submarine, when aborting a technical dive, or in the preparation of aviators for high altitude...
- Izhak L, Wildbaum G, Weinberg U, Uri W, Shaked Y, Alami J, et al. Predominant expression of CCL2 at the tumor site of prostate cancer patients directs a selective loss of immunological tolerance to CCL2 that could be amplified in a beneficial manner. J Immunol. 2010;184:1092-101 pubmed publisher..From a clinically oriented perspective, we show, in an experimental model of the disease, that DNA-based amplification of this response suppresses disease, which has implications for a novel way of therapy in humans. ..
- Hershko A. From rabbit reticulocytes to clam oocytes: in search of the system that targets mitotic cyclins for degradation. Mol Biol Cell. 2010;21:1645-7 pubmed publisher..Subsequent studies in many laboratories showed that this ubiquitin ligase, now called the anaphase-promoting complex/cyclosome, has centrally important roles in many aspects of cell cycle control. ..
- Silberbush A, Markman S, Lewinsohn E, Bar E, Cohen J, Blaustein L. Predator-released hydrocarbons repel oviposition by a mosquito. Ecol Lett. 2010;13:1129-38 pubmed publisher..longiareolata. In behavioural tests with environmentally relevant chemical concentrations in outdoor mesocosm experiments, the repellent effects of the two compounds were additive at the tested concentrations. ..
- Rozenfeld J, Tal O, Kladnitsky O, Adler L, Efrati E, Carrithers S, et al. The pendrin anion exchanger gene is transcriptionally regulated by uroguanylin: a novel enterorenal link. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2012;302:F614-24 pubmed publisher..UGN exerts its inhibitory activity on the hPDS promoter likely via HSF1 action at a defined HSE site. These data define a novel signaling pathway involved in the enterorenal axis controlling electrolyte and water homeostasis. ..
- Fleming B, Yelin R, James R, Schultheiss T. A role for Vg1/Nodal signaling in specification of the intermediate mesoderm. Development. 2013;140:1819-29 pubmed publisher..We postulate that Nodal-like signaling regulates IM formation by modulating the IM-inducing effects of BMP signaling...
- Maroun M, Ioannides P, Bergman K, Kavushansky A, Holmes A, Wellman C. Fear extinction deficits following acute stress associate with increased spine density and dendritic retraction in basolateral amygdala neurons. Eur J Neurosci. 2013;38:2611-20 pubmed publisher..These findings may have implications for elucidating the role of the amygdala in the pathophysiology of stress-related disorders. ..
- Zubedat S, Freed Y, Eshed Y, Cymerblit Sabba A, Ritter A, Nachmani M, et al. Plant-derived nanoparticle treatment with cocc 30c ameliorates attention and motor abilities in sleep-deprived rats. Neuroscience. 2013;253:1-8 pubmed publisher..Interestingly, cocc 30c treatment has moderated these hormonal alterations. We conclude that the treatment with cocc 30c recovers both short-term behavioral and the long-term hormonal modulations following SD...
- Zahar Y, Morris G. Enhance your chance with the TANs: tonically active neurons support learning in the ventral striatum. Neuron. 2014;82:941-3 pubmed publisher..Here in this issue of Neuron, Atallah et al. (2014) show that both reinforcement-based learning and control parameters are reflected in the neural activity of the ventromedial striatum. ..
- Gildor T, Malik A, Sher N, Avraham L, Ben Tabou de Leon S. Quantitative developmental transcriptomes of the Mediterranean sea urchin Paracentrotus lividus. Mar Genomics. 2016;25:89-94 pubmed publisher..Our study illuminates the rich patterns of gene expression that participate in sea urchin embryogenesis and provide an essential resource for further studies of the dynamic expression of P. lividus genes. ..
- Nadjar Boger E, Krol E, Funkenstein B. Two Activin Type 2B Receptors from Sea Bream Function Similarly in vitro. Biol Bull. 2016;230:56-67 pubmed
- Shemer R, Eibschitz I, Cavari B. Isolation and characterization of medaka ribosomal protein S3a (fte-1) cDNA and gene. Gene. 2000;250:209-17 pubmed..At the 5' untranslated region of the cDNA, the terminal pyrimidine tract, a common feature with all ribosomal protein genes, was found. snoRNA sequences were found in introns 3 and 5, similar to human and mouse U73b and U73a...
- Lisitsky I, Rott R, Schuster G. Insertion of polydeoxyadenosine-rich sequences into an intergenic region increases transcription in Chlamydomonas reinhardtii chloroplasts. Planta. 2001;212:851-7 pubmed..Therefore, the insertion of poly(dA/dT) sequence into the intergenic region of a multicistronic transcription unit may modulate gene expression at the transcriptional level. ..
- Tsabar N, Gefen A, Elias S, Frank D. Aggregation of maternal pigment granules is induced by the cytosolic discoidin domain of the Xenopus Del1 protein. Dev Dyn. 2005;233:224-32 pubmed..Ectopic expression of various deletion or full-length constructs or antisense morpholino oligonucleotides did not induce any significant developmental phenotypes. ..
- Ljubuncic P, Azaizeh H, Portnaya I, Cogan U, Said O, Saleh K, et al. Antioxidant activity and cytotoxicity of eight plants used in traditional Arab medicine in Israel. J Ethnopharmacol. 2005;99:43-7 pubmed..Further investigations are now needed to establish the exact mechanism of action and identify the active bio-ingredient(s) of each extract in order to explain their therapeutic efficacy. ..
- Rozenberg O, Howell A, Aviram M. Pomegranate juice sugar fraction reduces macrophage oxidative state, whereas white grape juice sugar fraction increases it. Atherosclerosis. 2006;188:68-76 pubmed..These antioxidant/antiatherogenic effects could be due to the presence of unique complex sugars and/or phenolic sugars in PJ. ..
- Arav D, Blaustein L. Effects of pool depth and risk of predation on oviposition habitat selection by temporary pool dipterans. J Med Entomol. 2006;43:493-7 pubmed..riparius, whose larvae are considerably less vulnerable, did not display oviposition avoidance. Pool depth did not affect oviposition habitat selection in either dipteran. ..
- Galil B. Loss or gain? Invasive aliens and biodiversity in the Mediterranean Sea. Mar Pollut Bull. 2007;55:314-22 pubmed..The relevant environmental policy and management framework is discussed. ..
- Lahat N, Rahat M, Kinarty A, Weiss Cerem L, Pinchevski S, Bitterman H. Hypoxia enhances lysosomal TNF-alpha degradation in mouse peritoneal macrophages. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2008;295:C2-12 pubmed publisher..05). We suggest that these two posttranslational regulatory checkpoints coexist in hypoxia and may partially explain the reduced secretion and diminished biological activity of TNF-alpha in hypoxic peritoneal macrophages. ..
- Bar Yosef Mayer D, Vandermeersch B, Bar Yosef O. Shells and ochre in Middle Paleolithic Qafzeh Cave, Israel: indications for modern behavior. J Hum Evol. 2009;56:307-14 pubmed publisher..The shells were collected and brought from the Mediterranean Sea shore some 35km away, and are complete Glycymeris bivalves, naturally perforated. Several valves bear traces of having been strung, and a few had ochre stains on them. ..
- Lamprecht R, Dracheva S, Assoun S, Ledoux J. Fear conditioning induces distinct patterns of gene expression in lateral amygdala. Genes Brain Behav. 2009;8:735-43 pubmed publisher..These results show that fear conditioning induces a unique temporal activation of molecular pathways involved in regulating synaptic transmission and axonal morphology in LA, which is different from non-associative stimulation. ..
- Klein Y, Halachmi N, Egoz Matia N, Toder M, Salzberg A. The proprioceptive and contractile systems in Drosophila are both patterned by the EGR family transcription factor Stripe. Dev Biol. 2010;337:458-70 pubmed publisher..Similarly to the biphasic differentiation program of tendons, terminal differentiation of chordotonal attachment cells is associated with sequential activation of the two Stripe isoforms-Stripe B and Stripe A. ..
- Weinreb O, Amit T, Bar Am O, Youdim M. Rasagiline: a novel anti-Parkinsonian monoamine oxidase-B inhibitor with neuroprotective activity. Prog Neurobiol. 2010;92:330-44 pubmed publisher..This paper will review the earlier and present studies in the development of rasagiline for treatment of PD and discuss its pharmacology and applicable mechanism of action. ..
- Shilkrut M, Belkacemi Y, Kuten A. Secondary malignancies in survivors of breast cancer: how to overcome the risk. Crit Rev Oncol Hematol. 2012;84 Suppl 1:e86-9 pubmed publisher..5Gy. Careful patient selection, thorough treatment planning and modern radiation equipment can reduce the dose to the surrounding tissues and decrease the incidence of SRIC. ..
- Radzishevsky I, Sason H, Wolosker H. D-serine: physiology and pathology. Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care. 2013;16:72-5 pubmed publisher..The data establish D-serine as a key transmitter or neuromodulator that mediates synaptic NMDAR activation and neurotoxicity. In this context, drugs that inhibit D-serine synthesis or release will provide new neuroprotective strategy. ..
- Kim C, Yun N, Lee J, Youdim M, Ju C, Kim W, et al. Phosphorylation of CHIP at Ser20 by Cdk5 promotes tAIF-mediated neuronal death. Cell Death Differ. 2016;23:333-46 pubmed publisher..Thus, we conclude that Cdk5-mediated phosphorylation of CHIP negatively regulates its neuroprotective function, thereby contributing to neuronal cell death progression following neurotoxic stimuli. ..
- Kaufmann R, Bourdeau P, Waldman L, Amiel S, Zur G. Straelensiosis in two cats and ten dogs from Israel. J Small Anim Pract. 2015;56:723-7 pubmed publisher..The diagnosis in all dogs was based on histopathology. Treatment of the animals in this study varied, and among the various administrated treatments, amitraz showed promising results. ..
- Nagel Wolfrum K, MÃ¶ller F, Penner I, Baasov T, Wolfrum U. Targeting Nonsense Mutations in Diseases with Translational Read-Through-Inducing Drugs (TRIDs). BioDrugs. 2016;30:49-74 pubmed publisher..These findings have raised hope for the usage of TR therapy as a gene-based pharmacogenetic therapy for nonsense mutations in various genes responsible for a variety of genetic diseases. ..
- Steffens S, Nüßer L, Seiler T, Ruchter N, Schumann M, Döring R, et al. A versatile and low-cost open source pipetting robot for automation of toxicological and ecotoxicological bioassays. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0179636 pubmed publisher..In combination with advanced detection systems this custom-made pipetting robot has the potential to become a valuable tool in future monitoring strategies for drinking and surface water. ..
- Aswad M, Assi S, Schif Zuck S, Ariel A. CCL5 Promotes Resolution-Phase Macrophage Reprogramming in Concert with the Atypical Chemokine Receptor D6 and Apoptotic Polymorphonuclear Cells. J Immunol. 2017;199:1393-1404 pubmed publisher..6-4 fold) in a D6-dependent manner, and was essential for reprogramming. Thus, CCL5 exerts a novel proresolving role on macrophages when acting in concert with apoptotic PMN-expressed D6. ..
- Senderovich Y, Gershtein Y, Halewa E, Halpern M. Vibrio cholerae and Aeromonas: do they share a mutual host?. ISME J. 2008;2:276-83 pubmed publisher..cholerae and Aeromonas populations...
- Rosenberg T, Elkobi A, Dieterich D, Rosenblum K. NMDAR-dependent proteasome activity in the gustatory cortex is necessary for conditioned taste aversion. Neurobiol Learn Mem. 2016;130:7-16 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that NMDAR-dependent proteasome activity in the GC participates in the association process between novel taste experience and negative visceral sensation. ..
- Salzberg A, Cohen N, Halachmi N, Kimchie Z, Lev Z. The Drosophila Ras2 and Rop gene pair: a dual homology with a yeast Ras-like gene and a suppressor of its loss-of-function phenotype. Development. 1993;117:1309-19 pubmed
- Seligman J, Page D. The Dazh gene is expressed in male and female embryonic gonads before germ cell sex differentiation. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1998;245:878-82 pubmed..The expression of the Dazh in male and female gonad before germ cell sex differentiation suggests that these genes may act at the first phase of male and female gametogenesis. ..
- Youdim M, Wadia A, Tatton W, Weinstock M. The anti-Parkinson drug rasagiline and its cholinesterase inhibitor derivatives exert neuroprotection unrelated to MAO inhibition in cell culture and in vivo. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2001;939:450-8 pubmed
- Amir R, Iwai K, Ciechanover A. The NEDD8 pathway is essential for SCF(beta -TrCP)-mediated ubiquitination and processing of the NF-kappa B precursor p105. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:23253-9 pubmed
- Wildbaum G, Netzer N, Karin N. Plasmid DNA encoding IFN-gamma-inducible protein 10 redirects antigen-specific T cell polarization and suppresses experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis. J Immunol. 2002;168:5885-92 pubmed..This demonstrates not only the pivotal role of a chemokine in T cell polarization and function but also its potential implications for plasmid DNA gene therapy. ..
- Liani E, Eyal A, Avraham E, Shemer R, Szargel R, Berg D, et al. Ubiquitylation of synphilin-1 and alpha-synuclein by SIAH and its presence in cellular inclusions and Lewy bodies imply a role in Parkinson's disease. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2004;101:5500-5 pubmed..In vitro experiments show that SIAH-2 monoubiquitylates alpha-synuclein. Further evidence that SIAH proteins may play a role in inclusion formation comes from the demonstration of SIAH immunoreactivity in Lewy bodies of PD patients. ..
- Fuhrman B, Shiner M, Volkova N, Aviram M. Cell-induced copper ion-mediated low density lipoprotein oxidation increases during in vivo monocyte-to-macrophage differentiation. Free Radic Biol Med. 2004;37:259-71 pubmed
- Tzukerman M, Skorecki K. A novel experimental platform for investigating cancer growth and anti-cancer therapy in a human tissue microenvironment derived from human embryonic stem cells. Methods Mol Biol. 2006;331:329-46 pubmed
- Adler L, Efrati E, Zelikovic I. Molecular mechanisms of epithelial cell-specific expression and regulation of the human anion exchanger (pendrin) gene. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2008;294:C1261-76 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, pendrin-mediated HCO3(-) secretion in the renal tubule and anion transport in the endolymph may be regulated transcriptionally by systemic pH and aldosterone. ..
- Lanir Y. Mechanisms of residual stress in soft tissues. J Biomech Eng. 2009;131:044506 pubmed publisher..The analysis also suggests that a true stress-free configuration can be obtained only if all RS producing mechanisms are relieved, and outlines a manner by which this may be achieved. ..
- Balan L, Foltyn V, Zehl M, Dumin E, Dikopoltsev E, Knoh D, et al. Feedback inactivation of D-serine synthesis by NMDA receptor-elicited translocation of serine racemase to the membrane. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:7589-94 pubmed publisher..We propose that the inhibition of D-serine synthesis caused by translocation of SR to the membrane provides a fail-safe mechanism to prevent NMDAR overactivation in vicinal cells or synapses. ..
- Asaf R, Blum S, Roguin A, Kalet Litman S, Kheir J, Frisch A, et al. Haptoglobin genotype is a determinant of survival and cardiac remodeling after myocardial infarction in diabetic mice. Cardiovasc Diabetol. 2009;8:29 pubmed publisher..196 +/- 0.01 cm2 vs. 0.163 +/- 0.01 cm2, respectively; p = 0.029). In DM mice the Hp 2-2 genotype is associated with increased mortality and more severe cardiac remodeling 30 days after MI. ..
- Etzioni A. Genetic etiologies of leukocyte adhesion defects. Curr Opin Immunol. 2009;21:481-6 pubmed publisher..Just recently mutations in Kindlin 3, a newly recognized component, which binds the cytoplasmic tail of integrin, and is important in integrin activation, the second phase of the adhesion cascade, were found. ..
- Zubidat A, Nelson R, Haim A. Photosensitivity to different light intensities in blind and sighted rodents. J Exp Biol. 2009;212:3857-64 pubmed publisher..Such a low threshold reflects the remarkable capability of this 'blind' species to utilize light signals even under challenging light conditions...
- Reznichenko L, Kalfon L, Amit T, Youdim M, Mandel S. Low dosage of rasagiline and epigallocatechin gallate synergistically restored the nigrostriatal axis in MPTP-induced parkinsonism. Neurodegener Dis. 2010;7:219-31 pubmed publisher..This may have important implications for rasagiline-treated PD patients who could further benefit from an adjunct administration of EGCG. ..
- Srouji S, Ben David D, Lotan R, Riminucci M, Livne E, Bianco P. The innate osteogenic potential of the maxillary sinus (Schneiderian) membrane: an ectopic tissue transplant model simulating sinus lifting. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2010;39:793-801 pubmed publisher..New bone formation was observed in the transplants indicating the innate osteogenic potential within the maxillary Schneiderian sinus membrane and its possible contribution to bone regeneration in sinus lifting procedures. ..
- Sapir Y, Vitenshtein A, Barsheshet Y, Zohar Y, Wildbaum G, Karin N. A fusion protein encoding the second extracellular domain of CCR5 arrests chemokine-induced cosignaling and effectively suppresses ongoing experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis. J Immunol. 2010;185:2589-99 pubmed publisher..These findings imply that implementing a CCR5-Ig-based therapy would be advantageous over blockade of this receptor or of the use of mAbs for targeting a single CCR5 ligand. ..
- Kershenbaum A, Ilany A, Blaustein L, Geffen E. Syntactic structure and geographical dialects in the songs of male rock hyraxes. Proc Biol Sci. 2012;279:2974-81 pubmed publisher..These findings indicate that rich syntactic structure is more common in the vocalizations of mammalian taxa than previously thought and suggest the possibility of vocal production learning in the hyrax...
- Hof Nahor I, Leshansky L, Shivtiel S, Eldor L, Aberdam D, Itskovitz Eldor J, et al. Human mesenchymal stem cells shift CD8+ T cells towards a suppressive phenotype by inducing tolerogenic monocytes. J Cell Sci. 2012;125:4640-50 pubmed publisher..This mechanism of action has to be taken into account in clinical trials, where it should be beneficial in grafts and autoimmune diseases, but potentially detrimental in malignant diseases. ..
- Abelson S. Eureka-DMA: an easy-to-operate graphical user interface for fast comprehensive investigation and analysis of DNA microarray data. BMC Bioinformatics. 2014;15:53 pubmed publisher..Eureka-DMA is freely available for academic users and can be downloaded at http://blue-meduza.org/Eureka-DMA. ..
- Peskin B, Shupak A, Misselevich I, Zinman C, Levin D, Jacob Z, et al. Transphyseal osseous bridges in experimental osteonecrosis of the femoral head of the rat. Histologic study of the bony bridges connecting the epiphyseal with the metaphyseal bony trabeculae through gaps in the physeal cartilage. J Pediatr Orthop B. 2001;10:214-8 pubmed
- Yarnitsky D, Gross Y, Lorian A, Shalev A, Shorer S, Tanaka T, et al. Increased BBB permeability by parasympathetic sphenopalatine ganglion stimulation in dogs. Brain Res. 2004;1018:236-40 pubmed..This could be a therapeutic method for a wide variety of brain disorders, including tumors and neurodegenerative diseases. ..
- Levy A, Levy J, Kalet Litman S, Miller Lotan R, Levy N, Asaf R, et al. Haptoglobin genotype is a determinant of iron, lipid peroxidation, and macrophage accumulation in the atherosclerotic plaque. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2007;27:134-40 pubmed..Increased iron, lipid peroxidation and macrophage accumulation in ApoE-/- Hp 2-2 plaques suggests that the Hp genotype plays a critical role in the oxidative and inflammatory response to intraplaque hemorrhage. ..
- Tashlykov V, Katz Y, Volkov A, Gazit V, Schreiber S, Zohar O, et al. Minimal traumatic brain injury induce apoptotic cell death in mice. J Mol Neurosci. 2009;37:16-24 pubmed publisher..Our cumulative results point to the pathological origin of post-concussion syndrome and may aid in the development of future neuroprotective strategies for the disease. ..
- Cymerblit Sabba A, Schiller M, Schiller Y. Termination of chemoconvulsant-induced seizures by synchronous and asynchronous electrical stimulation of the hippocampus in-vivo. Brain Stimul. 2013;6:727-36 pubmed publisher..Asynchronous stimulation paradigms enhanced the antiepileptic efficacy of neurostimulation, possibly by desynchronizing and functionally subdividing the network. ..
- Rahighi S, Braunstein I, Ternette N, Kessler B, Kawasaki M, Kato R, et al. Selective Binding of AIRAPL Tandem UIMs to Lys48-Linked Tri-Ubiquitin Chains. Structure. 2016;24:412-22 pubmed publisher..Unlike middle and proximal ubiquitins, distal ubiquitin binds UIM2 through a novel surface, which leaves the Ile44 hydrophobic patch accessible for binding to the proteasomal ubiquitin receptors. ..
- Fuhrman B, Volkova N, Coleman R, Aviram M. Grape powder polyphenols attenuate atherosclerosis development in apolipoprotein E deficient (E0) mice and reduce macrophage atherogenicity. J Nutr. 2005;135:722-8 pubmed..Both of these processes can eventually reduce macrophage cholesterol accumulation and foam cell formation and hence attenuate atherosclerosis development. ..
- Soustiel J, Zaaroor M. Mitochondrial targeting for development of novel drug strategies in brain injury. Cent Nerv Syst Agents Med Chem. 2012;12:131-45 pubmed..In this review, we will briefly describe the process of mitochondrial damage and dysfunction following brain injury and discuss the various therapeutic strategies aiming at mitochondrial protection. ..