Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on humans in Cork, Munster, Ireland
Locale: Cork, Munster, Ireland
Publications306 found, 100 shown here
- Fitzgerald P, Dinan T. Prolactin and dopamine: what is the connection? A review article. J Psychopharmacol. 2008;22:12-9 pubmed publisher..g. risperidone, 9-hydroxy-risperidone and amisulpride). Antipsychotics that easily cross the blood-brain barrier and exhibit fast dissociation from the dopamine receptor once bound do not result in sustained hyperprolactinaemia. ..
- Elzinga B, Twomey C, Powell J, Harte F, McCarthy J. Interleukin-1 receptor type 1 is a substrate for gamma-secretase-dependent regulated intramembrane proteolysis. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:1394-409 pubmed publisher..These findings also suggest that regulated intramembrane proteolysis may be a control mechanism for IL-1R1-mediated signaling. ..
- Ryan R, Monchy S, Cardinale M, Taghavi S, Crossman L, Avison M, et al. The versatility and adaptation of bacteria from the genus Stenotrophomonas. Nat Rev Microbiol. 2009;7:514-25 pubmed publisher..maltophilia has brought to our understanding of the adaptation of this genus to various niches...
- Lordan S, O Brien N, Mackrill J. The role of calcium in apoptosis induced by 7beta-hydroxycholesterol and cholesterol-5beta,6beta-epoxide. J Biochem Mol Toxicol. 2009;23:324-32 pubmed publisher..In contrast, Ca(2+) did not appear to be involved in beta-epoxide-induced apoptosis. ..
- Khan S, O Sullivan P, McKiernan J. Acute suppurative neonatal parotitis: Case report. Ear Nose Throat J. 2010;89:90-1 pubmed..He responded well to 9 days of intravenous antibiotic therapy. We also discuss the microbiologic and clinical patterns of this disease...
- O Connor M, Hannon M, Cagney D, Harrington U, O BRIEN F, Hardiman N, et al. A study of needle stick injuries among non-consultant hospital doctors in Ireland. Ir J Med Sci. 2011;180:445-9 pubmed publisher..The level of disposable glove usage is worryingly poor. Training in sharps handling and dealing with a NI needs to be addressed. HIV is the blood-borne infection most fear of being contracting as a consequence of a NI. ..
- Kelly G, Buckley D, Kiely P, Adams D, O Connor R. Serine phosphorylation of the insulin-like growth factor I (IGF-1) receptor C-terminal tail restrains kinase activity and cell growth. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:28180-94 pubmed publisher..Thus, the SFYYS motif controls the organization of the IGF-1R C terminus relative to the kinase domain. Its phosphorylation by GSK-3? restrains kinase activity and regulates receptor trafficking and signaling. ..
- Hennessy Ã, Walton J, Flynn A. The impact of voluntary food fortification on micronutrient intakes and status in European countries: a review. Proc Nutr Soc. 2013;72:433-40 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, voluntary fortification practices have been shown to improve intake and status of key micronutrients in European Union population groups and do not contribute appreciably to risk of adverse effects. ..
- McElroy B, Murphy A. An economic analysis of money follows the patient. Ir J Med Sci. 2014;183:15-22 pubmed publisher..Thus if the downside risks are managed, there is potential for MFTP to confer significant benefits to Irish hospital care. ..
- Fahy E, McCarthy E, Steinhagen Thiessen E, Vaughan C. A case of autosomal recessive hypercholesterolemia responsive to proprotein convertase subtilisin/kexin 9 inhibition. J Clin Lipidol. 2017;11:287-288 pubmed publisher..We report the first case of hypercholesterolemia due to autosomal recessive hyperlipidemia caused by LDLRAP1 mutation responding favorably to PCSK9 inhibition. ..
- Woods J, Jewell C, O Brien N. Sedanolide, a natural phthalide from celery seed oil: effect on hydrogen peroxide and tert-butyl hydroperoxide-induced toxicity in HepG2 and CaCo-2 human cell lines. In Vitr Mol Toxicol. 2001;14:233-40 pubmed..Sedanolide is relatively nontoxic to cells in culture, however, the protection it afforded against H(2)O(2)- and tBOOH-induced toxicity was not statistically significant. ..
- Lynch C, McConnell R. The use of microabrasion to remove discolored enamel: a clinical report. J Prosthet Dent. 2003;90:417-9 pubmed..A more conservative treatment option, enamel microabrasion, may be indicated in certain clinical scenarios. The purpose of this clinical report is to describe the use of enamel microabrasion for a patient with discolored anterior teeth. ..
- Jermyn W, Boyd E. Molecular evolution of Vibrio pathogenicity island-2 (VPI-2): mosaic structure among Vibrio cholerae and Vibrio mimicus natural isolates. Microbiology. 2005;151:311-22 pubmed..cholerae sequences; however, on the nanH gene tree, V. mimicus clustered with V. cholerae non-O1/non-O139 isolates, suggesting horizontal transfer of this region between these species...
- Hynes J, Hill R, Papkovsky D. The use of a fluorescence-based oxygen uptake assay in the analysis of cytotoxicity. Toxicol In Vitro. 2006;20:785-92 pubmed..In conjunction with assays analysing other biomarkers of cytotoxicity, a more detailed picture of cell response to drug treatment can be obtained. ..
- Murray D, Ryan C, Boylan G, Fitzgerald A, Connolly S. Prediction of seizures in asphyxiated neonates: correlation with continuous video-electroencephalographic monitoring. Pediatrics. 2006;118:41-6 pubmed..After perinatal asphyxia, neither the condition at birth nor the degree of metabolic acidosis reliably predict neonatal seizures. ..
- Barry P, O Connor T. Novel agents in the management of Mycobacterium tuberculosis disease. Curr Med Chem. 2007;14:2000-8 pubmed..This review will describe therapeutic developments in the management of tuberculosis, highlighting mechanisms of action of new pharmacological agents and their potential for clinical use. ..
- Dev K, Mullershausen F, Mattes H, Kuhn R, Bilbe G, Hoyer D, et al. Brain sphingosine-1-phosphate receptors: implication for FTY720 in the treatment of multiple sclerosis. Pharmacol Ther. 2008;117:77-93 pubmed..Here, we outline the direct roles that S1P receptors play in the central nervous system (CNS) and discuss additional modalities by which FTY720 may provide direct neuroprotection in MS. ..
- Ball M, Carmody M, Wynne F, Dockery P, Aigner A, Cameron I, et al. Expression of pleiotrophin and its receptors in human placenta suggests roles in trophoblast life cycle and angiogenesis. Placenta. 2009;30:649-53 pubmed publisher..PTN staining of extravillous cytotrophoblasts and the syncytial microvillous membrane is consistent with increasing levels of PTN, as measured by ELISA, in the maternal bloodstream as pregnancy progresses. ..
- Bahey El Din M, Gahan C. Lactococcus lactis-based vaccines: current status and future perspectives. Hum Vaccin. 2011;7:106-9 pubmed..lactis based antigen delivery may be improved. Finally we discuss the safe use of L. lactis vectors and outline the potential for use of biological containment systems and killed lactococcal preparations. ..
- Comber H, Deady S, Montgomery E, Gavin A. Drinking water fluoridation and osteosarcoma incidence on the island of Ireland. Cancer Causes Control. 2011;22:919-24 pubmed publisher..However, this conclusion must be qualified, in view of the relative rarity of the cancer and the correspondingly wide confidence intervals of the relative risk estimates. ..
- Gerhardt M, Groeger G, Maccarthy N. Monopolar vs. bipolar subretinal stimulation-an in vitro study. J Neurosci Methods. 2011;199:26-34 pubmed publisher..Liquid inclusions, eventually separating the retina from the electrodes are discussed to be a major cause for low ganglion cell responses during stimulation with the bipolar electrode configuration. ..
- Hartigan I, Murphy S, Hickey M. Older adults' knowledge of pressure ulcer prevention: a prospective quasi-experimental study. Int J Older People Nurs. 2012;7:208-18 pubmed publisher..An education leaflet can help older adults and their carers to be more empowered as active participants in reducing the incidence of pressure ulceration. ..
- Egan N, Bartels A, Khashan A, Broadhurst D, Joyce C, O Mullane J, et al. Reference standard for serum bile acids in pregnancy. BJOG. 2012;119:493-8 pubmed publisher..SBA values in uncomplicated pregnancies are consistent, regardless of gestation, and are not elevated in pregnancy. The current reference values for the diagnosis of OC appear to be appropriate. ..
- Howard A, O Donoghue M, Feeney A, Sleator R. Acinetobacter baumannii: an emerging opportunistic pathogen. Virulence. 2012;3:243-50 pubmed publisher..Herein, we provide an overview of the pathogen, discuss some of the major factors that have led to its clinical prominence and outline some of the novel therapeutic strategies currently in development...
- Lutomski J, Greene R, Byrne B. Severe maternal morbidity during childbirth hospitalisation: a comparative analysis between the Republic of Ireland and Australia. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 2012;163:148-53 pubmed publisher..The ability to directly compare morbidity rates is advantageous, underscoring the need for a uniform definition of severe morbidity to promote accurate and reliable international comparisons. ..
- Fouhy F, Guinane C, Hussey S, Wall R, Ryan C, Dempsey E, et al. High-throughput sequencing reveals the incomplete, short-term recovery of infant gut microbiota following parenteral antibiotic treatment with ampicillin and gentamicin. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2012;56:5811-20 pubmed publisher..It is thus apparent that the combined use of ampicillin and gentamicin in early life can have significant effects on the evolution of the infant gut microbiota, the long-term health implications of which remain unknown. ..
- Boyce M, Browne J. Does providing feedback on patient-reported outcomes to healthcare professionals result in better outcomes for patients? A systematic review. Qual Life Res. 2013;22:2265-78 pubmed publisher..Qualitative research is required to provide a deeper understanding of the practical issues surrounding the implementation of PROMs and the methodological issues associated with the effective use of the information. ..
- Hanly P, Céilleachair A, Skally M, O Leary E, Staines A, Kapur K, et al. Time costs associated with informal care for colorectal cancer: an investigation of the impact of alternative valuation methods. Appl Health Econ Health Policy. 2013;11:193-203 pubmed publisher..Different time valuation methods can produce quite different cost estimates. A standardised methodology for estimating informal care costs would facilitate better integration of these into economic evaluations. ..
- Foley K, Young P. An analysis of splicing, actin-binding properties, heterodimerization and molecular interactions of the non-muscle ?-actinins. Biochem J. 2013;452:477-88 pubmed publisher..This significantly alters our view of non-muscle actinin function. ..
- Quane K, Keating K, Manning B, Healy J, Monsieurs K, Heffron J, et al. Detection of a novel common mutation in the ryanodine receptor gene in malignant hyperthermia: implications for diagnosis and heterogeneity studies. Hum Mol Genet. 1994;3:471-6 pubmed..The implications of this common mutation in MHS diagnosis and heterogeneity studies are discussed. ..
- Cashman K. Vitamin K status may be an important determinant of childhood bone health. Nutr Rev. 2005;63:284-9 pubmed..There is a need for randomized phylloquinone supplementation trials to better understand the role of vitamin K on bone acquisition in growing children. ..
- Dmitriev R, Zhdanov A, Ponomarev G, Yashunski D, Papkovsky D. Intracellular oxygen-sensitive phosphorescent probes based on cell-penetrating peptides. Anal Biochem. 2010;398:24-33 pubmed publisher..They provide a simple and versatile tool for O(2) monitoring in live cells and in tissue, and an alternative to the existing O(2) probes which require facilitated transport into the cell. ..
- Loh C. Use of traditional Chinese medicine in Singapore children: perceptions of parents and paediatricians. Singapore Med J. 2009;50:1162-8 pubmed..Specifically, it gave us an idea of the predictor traits that determine their referral patterns to TCM and their perceptions of herb and acupuncture safety. ..
- Brint E, Macsharry J, Fanning A, Shanahan F, Quigley E. Differential expression of toll-like receptors in patients with irritable bowel syndrome. Am J Gastroenterol. 2011;106:329-36 pubmed publisher..These findings could also offer an additional biomarker of the disease or a disease subset. ..
- Monk I, Casey P, Hill C, Gahan C. Directed evolution and targeted mutagenesis to murinize Listeria monocytogenes internalin A for enhanced infectivity in the murine oral infection model. BMC Microbiol. 2010;10:318 pubmed publisher..This murinized L. monocytogenes strain will provide a useful tool for the analysis of the gastrointestinal phase of listeriosis...
- Geaney F, Harrington J, Fitzgerald A, Perry I. The impact of a workplace catering initiative on dietary intakes of salt and other nutrients: a pilot study. Public Health Nutr. 2011;14:1345-9 pubmed publisher..Targeted public health programmes and health policy changes are needed to motivate caterers in the public sector and other industries to develop interventions that promote a healthy diet. ..
- O Neill M, Guo J, Byrne C, Darcy R, O Driscoll C. Mechanistic studies on the uptake and intracellular trafficking of novel cyclodextrin transfection complexes by intestinal epithelial cells. Int J Pharm. 2011;413:174-83 pubmed publisher..The ability of this novel CD to transfect differentiated intestinal cells indicates the potential of this vector for oral gene delivery. ..
- Temko A, Nadeu C, Marnane W, Boylan G, Lightbody G. EEG signal description with spectral-envelope-based speech recognition features for detection of neonatal seizures. IEEE Trans Inf Technol Biomed. 2011;15:839-47 pubmed publisher..It is shown that the spectral derivative features consistently appear among the top-rank features. The study shows that the ASR features should be given a high priority when dealing with the description of the EEG signal. ..
- Woolley J, Naughton R, Stanicka J, Gough D, Bhatt L, Dickinson B, et al. H2O2 production downstream of FLT3 is mediated by p22phox in the endoplasmic reticulum and is required for STAT5 signalling. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e34050 pubmed publisher..Thus, we have shown that FLT3 driven H(2)O(2) production in AML cells is mediated by p22phox and is critical for STAT5 signalling. ..
- McKelvey L, Shorten G, O Keeffe G. Nerve growth factor-mediated regulation of pain signalling and proposed new intervention strategies in clinical pain management. J Neurochem. 2013;124:276-89 pubmed publisher..We will review neuropathies and clinical presentations that result from the disruption of NGF signalling in HSAN type IV and HSAN type V and review current advances in developing anti-NGF therapy for the clinical management of pain. ..
- Sharp L, Tilson L, Whyte S, Céilleachair A, Walsh C, Usher C, et al. Using resource modelling to inform decision making and service planning: the case of colorectal cancer screening in Ireland. BMC Health Serv Res. 2013;13:105 pubmed publisher..Resource modelling of this type complements conventional cost-effectiveness analyses and can help inform policy making and service planning. ..
- Donovan M, Schellekens H, Boylan G, Cryan J, Griffin B. In vitro bidirectional permeability studies identify pharmacokinetic limitations of NKCC1 inhibitor bumetanide. Eur J Pharmacol. 2016;770:117-25 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these bidirectional permeability studies highlight the potential of efflux transporter inhibition as an augmentation strategy for enhanced delivery of bumetanide to the CNS. ..
- Lenighan Y, Nugent A, Li K, Brennan L, Walton J, Flynn A, et al. Processed red meat contribution to dietary patterns and the associated cardio-metabolic outcomes. Br J Nutr. 2017;118:222-228 pubmed publisher..This suggests that the consideration of processed red meat consumption as a risk factor for CVD and T2D may need to be re-assessed. ..
- Quigley E. Pharmacotherapy of gastroparesis. Expert Opin Pharmacother. 2000;1:881-7 pubmed..Other novel approaches include strategies to address some of the regional abnormalities in gastric motor function that have been identified in some patients with dyspepsia. ..
- Guinane C, Cotter P, Hill C, Ross R. Microbial solutions to microbial problems; lactococcal bacteriocins for the control of undesirable biota in food. J Appl Microbiol. 2005;98:1316-25 pubmed
- Shine N, Lacy P, Conlon B, McShane D. Spontaneous retropharyngeal and cervical emphysema: a rare singer's injury. Ear Nose Throat J. 2005;84:726-7 pubmed..We describe a case that was unusual in its etiology: the result of singing. Although this condition is usually benign, hospital admission for close observation and supportive therapy is prudent...
- McNamara B, Winter D, Cuffe J, O Sullivan G, Harvey B. Basolateral K+ channel involvement in forskolin-activated chloride secretion in human colon. J Physiol. 1999;519 Pt 1:251-60 pubmed..In conclusion, we propose that potassium recycling through basolateral K+ channels is essential for cAMP-activated chloride secretion. ..
- Collins C, Maguire D, Ireland A, Fitzgerald E, O Sullivan G. A prospective study of common bile duct calculi in patients undergoing laparoscopic cholecystectomy: natural history of choledocholithiasis revisited. Ann Surg. 2004;239:28-33 pubmed..These data support a short-term expectant approach in the management of clinically silent choledocholithiasis in patients selected for LC. ..
- O Shea Y, Finnan S, Reen F, Morrissey J, O Gara F, Boyd E. The Vibrio seventh pandemic island-II is a 26.9 kb genomic island present in Vibrio cholerae El Tor and O139 serogroup isolates that shows homology to a 43.4 kb genomic island in V. vulnificus. Microbiology. 2004;150:4053-63 pubmed..vulnificus strain, CMCP6, did not contain the 43.4 kb VVI-I; in this strain two ORFs were found between the 5' and 3' flanking genes VV10636 and VV10632, showing 100 % identity to VV0508 and VV0561, respectively, which flank VVI-I...
- Quigley E. Probiotics in the management of colonic disorders. Curr Gastroenterol Rep. 2007;9:434-40 pubmed..difficile-related colitis. Even here, not to mention other colonic disorders, further adequately powered and appropriately designed trials are needed. ..
- Piper C, Cotter P, Ross R, Hill C. Discovery of medically significant lantibiotics. Curr Drug Discov Technol. 2009;6:1-18 pubmed..In so doing we highlight how some, or all, of these approaches have the potential to result in the development of clinically important drugs. ..
- Smith M, Culhane A, Donovan M, Coffey J, Barry B, Kelly M, et al. Analysis of differential gene expression in colorectal cancer and stroma using fluorescence-activated cell sorting purification. Br J Cancer. 2009;100:1452-64 pubmed publisher..Gross stromal contamination may affect the interpretation of cancer gene expression microarray experiments, with implications for hypotheses generation and the stability of expression signatures used for predicting clinical outcomes. ..
- Ryan J, Murphy C, Twomey C, Paul Ross R, Rea M, MacSharry J, et al. Asymptomatic carriage of Clostridium difficile in an Irish continuing care institution for the elderly: prevalence and characteristics. Ir J Med Sci. 2010;179:245-50 pubmed publisher..This study underscores the importance of increased vigilance for C. difficile using microbial and molecular methodology and identifies patients at increased risk following antibiotic administration. ..
- Sibartie S, Scully P, Keohane J, O Neill S, O Mahony J, O Hanlon D, et al. Mycobacterium avium subsp. Paratuberculosis (MAP) as a modifying factor in Crohn's disease. Inflamm Bowel Dis. 2010;16:296-304 pubmed publisher..This does not imply causation but does support further examination of this bacterium as an environmental modifying factor. ..
- Khan S, Kenefick C, O Leary G, Lucey J. Non-Hodgkin lymphoma presenting as bilateral tonsillar hypertrophy: case report. Ear Nose Throat J. 2010;89:E4-5 pubmed..We also discuss the importance of histologic analysis of excised tonsil tissue in selected cases...
- Hammond S, O Rourke M, Kelly M, Bennett D, O Flynn S. A psychometric appraisal of the DREEM. BMC Med Educ. 2012;12:2 pubmed publisher..Secondly, the construct validity is not well supported. We suggest that users of the DREEM will provide basic psychometric appraisal of the device in future published reports. ..
- Hannon M, Lohan F, Erbilgin Y, Sayitoglu M, O HAGAN K, Mills K, et al. Elevated TRIB2 with NOTCH1 activation in paediatric/adult T-ALL. Br J Haematol. 2012;158:626-34 pubmed publisher..The relationship between TRIB2 and T cell signalling pathways uniquely identifies leukaemia subtypes and will be useful in the advancement of our understanding of T cell and ALL biology. ..
- O Sullivan A, O Callaghan Y, O Grady M, Quéguineur B, Hanniffy D, Troy D, et al. Assessment of the ability of seaweed extracts to protect against hydrogen peroxide and tert-butyl hydroperoxide induced cellular damage in Caco-2 cells. Food Chem. 2012;134:1137-40 pubmed publisher..F. serratus and F. vesiculosus significantly protected (P<0.05) against H(2)O(2) (50 ?M) induced DNA damage but not tert-BOOH induced damage...
- Kavanaugh D, O Callaghan J, Buttó L, Slattery H, Lane J, Clyne M, et al. Exposure of Bifidobacterium longum subsp. infantis to Milk Oligosaccharides Increases Adhesion to Epithelial Cells and Induces a Substantial Transcriptional Response. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e67224 pubmed publisher..This study gives additional insight into the role of milk oligosaccharides within the human intestine and the molecular mechanisms underpinning host-microbe interactions. ..
- Joyce C, Kelly E. An unusual penetrating hand injury from a hurling helmet. Injury. 2015;46:2520-1 pubmed publisher..The bar was surgically removed in theatre with minimal injury. The authors highlight the need to ensure that helmets and face protectors are regularly checked, particularly ensuring that the bars have not become detached. ..
- Stalder T, Kirschbaum C, Kudielka B, Adam E, Pruessner J, WÃ¼st S, et al. Assessment of the cortisol awakening response: Expert consensus guidelines. Psychoneuroendocrinology. 2016;63:414-32 pubmed publisher..Meeting these methodological standards in future research will create more powerful research designs, thus yielding more reliable and reproducible results and helping to further advance understanding in this evolving field of research. ..
- Rush E, Cairncross C, Williams M, Tseng M, Coppinger T, McLennan S, et al. Project Energize: intervention development and 10 years of progress in preventing childhood obesity. BMC Res Notes. 2016;9:44 pubmed publisher..Evaluation and research associated with the programme delivery and outcomes are ongoing. The dissemination of findings to politicians and collaboration with other service providers are both regarded as priorities. ..
- Balfe M, O Brien K, Timmons A, Butow P, O Sullivan E, Gooberman Hill R, et al. What factors are associated with posttraumatic growth in head and neck cancer carers?. Eur J Oncol Nurs. 2016;21:31-7 pubmed publisher..Implications for nursing practice are discussed. ..
- Hennessy A, Ross P, Fitzgerald G, Stanton C. Sources and Bioactive Properties of Conjugated Dietary Fatty Acids. Lipids. 2016;51:377-97 pubmed publisher..In this review, we will also highlight the common sources of these conjugated fatty acids, including plants, algae, microbes and chemosynthesis. ..
- McCullagh R, O Connell E, O Meara S, Perry I, Fitzgerald A, O Connor K, et al. A study protocol of a randomised controlled trial to measure the effects of an augmented prescribed exercise programme (APEP) for frail older medical patients in the acute setting. BMC Geriatr. 2016;16:79 pubmed publisher..This simple intervention has the potential to transform the outcomes of the older patient in the acute setting. ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT02463864 , registered 26.05.2015. ..
- Shanahan F, van Sinderen D, O Toole P, Stanton C. Feeding the microbiota: transducer of nutrient signals for the host. Gut. 2017;66:1709-1717 pubmed publisher..The microbiota profile is also emerging as a biomarker to predict responsiveness to dietary interventions and promises to make personalised nutrition a reality. ..
- McCarthy T, Quane K, Lynch P. Ryanodine receptor mutations in malignant hyperthermia and central core disease. Hum Mutat. 2000;15:410-7 pubmed
- Sheehan J, Kearney P, Sullivan S, Mongan C, Kelly E, Perry I. Acute coronary syndrome and chronic infection in the Cork coronary care case-control study. Heart. 2005;91:19-22 pubmed..The findings do not support an association between specific infectious agents and acute coronary syndrome and do not provide evidence of a burden of infection effect. ..
- Choudhury K, Paik D, Yi C, Napel S, Roos J, Rubin G. Assessing operating characteristics of CAD algorithms in the absence of a gold standard. Med Phys. 2010;37:1788-95 pubmed..27). Whereas a gold standard based on a consensus of readers may substantially bias sensitivity estimates, LCA may be a significantly more accurate and consistent means for evaluating diagnostic accuracy. ..
- Cashman K. Dietary reference intervals for vitamin D. Scand J Clin Lab Invest Suppl. 2012;243:136-43 pubmed publisher..Finally, it also overviews how the dietary reference intervals for vitamin D may be applied, and especially in terms of assessing the adequacy of vitamin D intake in populations. ..
- Cullinan S, O Mahony D, Byrne S. Application of the structured history taking of medication use tool to optimise prescribing for older patients and reduce adverse events. Int J Clin Pharm. 2016;38:374-9 pubmed publisher..The results suggest SHiM is an effective medications reconciliation tool and does identify discrepancies with potential for patient harm. However, it's the capacity to prevent actual adverse events is less convincing. ..
- Leary N, Pembroke A, Duggan P. Single stable reagent (Arsenazo III) for optically robust measurement of calcium in serum and plasma. Clin Chem. 1992;38:904-8 pubmed..The procedure showed good agreement with all-method mean values from two external quality-control schemes...
- Quane K, Healy J, Keating K, Manning B, Couch F, Palmucci L, et al. Mutations in the ryanodine receptor gene in central core disease and malignant hyperthermia. Nat Genet. 1993;5:51-5 pubmed..One of these mutations was also detected in an unrelated MH pedigree whose members are asymptomatic of CCD. The data suggest a model to explain how a single mutation may result in two apparently distinct clinical phenotypes. ..
- Kelleher M, Chambers D, Corcoran P, Keeley H, Williamson E. Euthanasia and related practices worldwide. Crisis. 1998;19:109-15 pubmed..The "slippery slope" argument is briefly considered. ..
- Burke L, Flieder D, Guinee D, Brambilla E, Freedman A, Bennett W, et al. Prognostic implications of molecular and immunohistochemical profiles of the Rb and p53 cell cycle regulatory pathways in primary non-small cell lung carcinoma. Clin Cancer Res. 2005;11:232-41 pubmed
- Furey A, Crowley J, Hamilton B, Lehane M, James K. Strategies to avoid the mis-identification of anatoxin-a using mass spectrometry in the forensic investigation of acute neurotoxic poisoning. J Chromatogr A. 2005;1082:91-7 pubmed..The difficulties associated with the over reliance on low resolution MS without MS/MS data in forensic toxicology are discussed. ..
- O Grady E, Mulcahy H, O Callaghan J, Adams C, O Gara F. Pseudomonas aeruginosa infection of airway epithelial cells modulates expression of Kruppel-like factors 2 and 6 via RsmA-mediated regulation of type III exoenzymes S and Y. Infect Immun. 2006;74:5893-902 pubmed..Therefore, this study identifies for the first time the human transcription factors KLF2 and KLF6 as targets of the P. aeruginosa type III exoenzymes S and Y, with potential importance in host cell death. ..
- Quigley E. Probiotics in functional gastrointestinal disorders: what are the facts?. Curr Opin Pharmacol. 2008;8:704-8 pubmed publisher..Several other issues complicate the interpretation of much of the literature in this area: lack of quality control, use of many different species, and, strains and, above all, significant deficiencies in trial methodology. ..
- Kiely R, Lucey B, Cotter L. Analysis of phenotype, genotype and serotype distribution in erythromycin-resistant group B streptococci isolated from vaginal flora in Southern Ireland. Epidemiol Infect. 2010;138:286-91 pubmed publisher..A single isolate was non-typable using two latex agglutination serotyping kits. ..
- Horgan C, Hanscom S, Jolly R, Futter C, McCaffrey M. Rab11-FIP3 links the Rab11 GTPase and cytoplasmic dynein to mediate transport to the endosomal-recycling compartment. J Cell Sci. 2010;123:181-91 pubmed publisher..On the basis of these and other data, we propose that FIP3 links the Rab11 GTPase and cytoplasmic dynein to mediate transport of material from peripheral sorting endosomes to the centrally located ERC. ..
- Cashman K, Fitzgerald A, Viljakainen H, Jakobsen J, Michaelsen K, Lamberg Allardt C, et al. Estimation of the dietary requirement for vitamin D in healthy adolescent white girls. Am J Clin Nutr. 2011;93:549-55 pubmed publisher..5%) of adolescent girls (mean age: 11.3 y) at northern latitudes (>55°N) are 8.3 and 18.6 ?g/d, respectively. This trial was registered at clinicaltrials.gov as NCT00267540. ..
- Hanly P, Timmons A, Walsh P, Sharp L. Breast and prostate cancer productivity costs: a comparison of the human capital approach and the friction cost approach. Value Health. 2012;15:429-36 pubmed publisher..Vastly different results emerge from the application of the HCA and the FCA, and this finding emphasizes the importance of choosing the study perspective carefully and being explicit about assumptions that underpin the methods. ..
- Cashman O, O SHEA H. Detection of human bocaviruses 1, 2 and 3 in Irish children presenting with gastroenteritis. Arch Virol. 2012;157:1767-73 pubmed publisher..Three types of human bocavirus were identified: HBoV1, 2 and 3. In addition, recombinant strains (n=4) were also isolated. This is the first report of all three types of HBoV being detected in southern Ireland...
- Jeffery I, Quigley E, Ohman L, Simren M, O Toole P. The microbiota link to irritable bowel syndrome: an emerging story. Gut Microbes. 2012;3:572-6 pubmed publisher..This addendum contextualizes and summarizes the results of these studies, and defines the future challenges and opportunities in the field...