Experts and Doctors on crocus in Tehrān, Iran
Locale: Tehrān, Iran
- Amini M, Ghoranneviss M, Abdijadid S. Effect of cold plasma on crocin esters and volatile compounds of saffron. Food Chem. 2017;235:290-293 pubmed publisher..There was no trans-2G, cis-4GG or cis-3Gg compounds observed after the Ar/10% O2 cold plasma treatment at 12kV. ..
- Keyhani E, Sattarahmady N. Catalytic properties of three L-lactate dehydrogenases from saffron corms (Crocus sativus L). Mol Biol Rep. 2002;29:163-6 pubmed..9, 1.0 and 0.4 min(-1), respectively at pH 5.5, 7.5 and 9.5. Pseudo first order rate constant was also different under the three pH conditions. Malate was an inhibitor for the isoenzyme active at pH 9.5, but had no effect on the others...
- Bolhassani A, Khavari A, Bathaie S. Saffron and natural carotenoids: Biochemical activities and anti-tumor effects. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2014;1845:20-30 pubmed publisher..In this mini-review, we briefly describe biochemical and immunological activities and chemo-preventive properties of saffron and natural carotenoids as an anticancer drug. ..
- Modabbernia A, Akhondzadeh S. Saffron, passionflower, valerian and sage for mental health. Psychiatr Clin North Am. 2013;36:85-91 pubmed publisher..This article discusses clinically relevant scientific information on medicinal extracts of 4 herbs: saffron, passionflower, valerian, and sage...
- Modabbernia A, Sohrabi H, Nasehi A, Raisi F, Saroukhani S, Jamshidi A, et al. Effect of saffron on fluoxetine-induced sexual impairment in men: randomized double-blind placebo-controlled trial. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2012;223:381-8 pubmed..005). Frequency of side effects were similar between the two groups. Saffron is a tolerable and efficacious treatment for fluoxetine-related erectile dysfunction. ..
- Hooshmandi Z, Rohani A, Eidi A, Fatahi Z, Golmanesh L, Sahraei H. Reduction of metabolic and behavioral signs of acute stress in male Wistar rats by saffron water extract and its constituent safranal. Pharm Biol. 2011;49:947-54 pubmed publisher..Moreover, the involvement of the amygdala in this observation can be ruled out. ..
- Ajami M, Eghtesadi S, Pazoki Toroudi H, Habibey R, Ebrahimi S. Effect of crocus sativus on gentamicin induced nephrotoxicity. Biol Res. 2010;43:83-90 pubmed publisher..05, p<0.001, p<0.05, and p<0.001 respectively). In conclusion, our results suggest that saffron treatment reduces gentamicin-induced nephrotoxicity and this effect seems to be dose dependent. ..
- Bathaie S, Mousavi S. New applications and mechanisms of action of saffron and its important ingredients. Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr. 2010;50:761-86 pubmed publisher..Our study concludes that saffron has a wide range of usefulness in medicine, cosmetics, and coloring industries, so it can be used for new drug designs. However, more research about its mechanism of action is needed. ..
- Agha Hosseini M, Kashani L, Aleyaseen A, Ghoreishi A, Rahmanpour H, Zarrinara A, et al. Crocus sativus L. (saffron) in the treatment of premenstrual syndrome: a double-blind, randomised and placebo-controlled trial. BJOG. 2008;115:515-9 pubmed publisher..The aim of this double-blind and placebo-controlled trial was to investigate whether saffron (stigma of Crocus sativus L.) could relieve symptoms of premenstrual syndrome (PMS)...
- Ghamsari L, Keyhani E, Golkhoo S. Kinetics properties of guaiacol peroxidase activity in Crocus sativus L. corm during rooting. Iran Biomed J. 2007;11:137-146 pubmed..Guaiacol peroxidases (GP) are haem-containing enzymes participating in many physiological processes in plants. The expression pattern of these enzymes is organ-specific and developmentally regulated...
- Noorbala A, Akhondzadeh S, Tahmacebi Pour N, Jamshidi A. Hydro-alcoholic extract of Crocus sativus L. versus fluoxetine in the treatment of mild to moderate depression: a double-blind, randomized pilot trial. J Ethnopharmacol. 2005;97:281-4 pubmed..The results of this study indicate the efficacy of Crocus sativus in the treatment of mild to moderate depression. A large-scale trial is justified. ..
- Safarinejad M, Shafiei N, Safarinejad S. An open label, randomized, fixed-dose, crossover study comparing efficacy and safety of sildenafil citrate and saffron (Crocus sativus Linn.) for treating erectile dysfunction in men naïve to treatment. Int J Impot Res. 2010;22:240-50 pubmed publisher..4 vs 25.4, P=0.001). Mean per patient 'yes' responses to GEQ was 91.2 and 4.2% for sildenafil and saffron, respectively (P=0.0001). These findings do not support a beneficial effect of saffron administration in men with ED. ..
- Bathaie S, Bolhasani A, Hoshyar R, Ranjbar B, Sabouni F, Moosavi Movahedi A. Interaction of saffron carotenoids as anticancer compounds with ctDNA, Oligo (dG.dC)15, and Oligo (dA.dT)15. DNA Cell Biol. 2007;26:533-40 pubmed..In conclusion, the results show that saffron and its carotenoids interact with DNA and induce some conformational changes in it. Of these carotenoids, the order of potential of interaction with DNA is crocetin > DMC > crocin...
- Samadi L, Shahsavan Behboodi B. Fusaric acid induces apoptosis in saffron root-tip cells: roles of caspase-like activity, cytochrome c, and H2O2. Planta. 2006;225:223-34 pubmed
- Akhondzadeh S, Fallah Pour H, Afkham K, Jamshidi A, Khalighi Cigaroudi F. Comparison of Crocus sativus L. and imipramine in the treatment of mild to moderate depression: a pilot double-blind randomized trial [ISRCTN45683816]. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2004;4:12 pubmed..To the best of our knowledge this is the first clinical trial that supports this indication for saffron. A large-scale trial with placebo control is warranted. ..