Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on animals in Kalyani, West Bengal, India
Locale: Kalyani, West Bengal, India
- Mandal M, Mandal A, Das S, Chakraborti T, Chakraborti S. Identification, purification and partial characterization of tissue inhibitor of matrix metalloproteinase-2 in bovine pulmonary artery smooth muscle. Mol Cell Biochem. 2003;254:275-87 pubmed..Treatment of the inhibitor with hydrogen peroxide, superoxide generating system (hypoxanthine plus xanthine oxidase) and peroxynitrite inactivated the inhibitor. ..
- Paul A, Das J, Das S, Samadder A, Khuda Bukhsh A. Poly (lactide-co-glycolide) nano-encapsulation of chelidonine, an active bioingredient of greater celandine (Chelidonium majus), enhances its ameliorative potential against cadmium induced oxidative stress and hepatic injury in mice. Environ Toxicol Pharmacol. 2013;36:937-47 pubmed publisher..Expression pattern of certain inflammatory and apoptotic signal proteins also indicated better hepato-protective abilities of nano-chelidonine, making it a more suitable protective drug than chelidonine against cadmium toxicity in mice...
- Das S, Das J, Paul A, Samadder A, Khuda Bukhsh A. Apigenin, a bioactive flavonoid from Lycopodium clavatum, stimulates nucleotide excision repair genes to protect skin keratinocytes from ultraviolet B-induced reactive oxygen species and DNA damage. J Acupunct Meridian Stud. 2013;6:252-62 pubmed publisher
- Bhattacharyya S, Paul S, Dutta S, Boujedaini N, Khuda Bukhsh A. Anti-oncogenic potentials of a plant coumarin (7-hydroxy-6-methoxy coumarin) against 7,12-dimethylbenz [a] anthracene-induced skin papilloma in mice: the possible role of several key signal proteins. Zhong Xi Yi Jie He Xue Bao. 2010;8:645-54 pubmed..In the present study, its in vivo effects have been evaluated in mice...
- Sahu C, Ghatak S. Effects of dimecron on developing chick embryo: malformations and other histopathological changes. Anat Histol Embryol. 2002;31:15-20 pubmed..The liver and kidney were severely affected by the pesticide at both doses. Based upon these findings it may be concluded that dimecron does play a role in producing embryotoxicity at different stages of embryogenesis. ..
- Samanta K, Kar P, Chakraborti T, Chakraborti S. Calcium-dependent cleavage of the Na(+)/Ca(2+) exchanger by m-calpain in isolated endoplasmic reticulum. J Biochem. 2010;147:225-35 pubmed publisher..Cleavage of NCX1 by m-calpain in the ER may be interpreted as the main cause of intracellular Ca(2+) overload in the smooth muscle, which could be important for the manifestation of pulmonary hypertension. ..
- Paul S, Pramanick K, Kundu S, Bandyopadhyay A, Mukherjee D. Involvement of PI3 kinase and MAP kinase in IGF-I- and insulin-induced oocyte maturation in Cyprinus carpio. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2009;309:93-100 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results suggest that PI3 kinase is an initial component of the signal transduction pathway which precedes MAP kinase, and MPF activation during IGF-I- and b-insulin-induced oocyte maturation in C. carpio. ..
- Kar P, Chakraborti T, Samanta K, Chakraborti S. Submitochondrial localization of associated mu-calpain and calpastatin. Arch Biochem Biophys. 2008;470:176-86 pubmed
- Mandal A, Chakraborti T, Choudhury R, Ghosh B, Ghosh A, Das S, et al. Role of MMP-2 in inhibiting Na+ dependent Ca2+ uptake by H2O2 in microsomes isolated from pulmonary smooth muscle. Mol Cell Biochem. 2005;270:79-87 pubmed..Thus, one of the mechanisms by which H2O2 activates MMP-2 could be due to inactivation of TIMP-2 by the oxidant. The resulting activation of MMP-2 subsequently inhibits Na+ dependent Ca2+ uptake in the microsomes. ..
- Das S, Mandal M, Chakraborti T, Mandal A, Chakraborti S. Isolation of MMP-2 from MMP-2/TIMP-2 complex: characterization of the complex and the free enzyme in pulmonary vascular smooth muscle plasma membrane. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2004;1674:158-74 pubmed..We have also presented additional data indicating that the isolated preparation of 72-kDa gelatinase exhibited properties that are identical with MMP-2 obtained from different sources. ..
- Chakraborti S, Mandal A, Das S, Chakraborti T. Inhibition of Na+/Ca2+ exchanger by peroxynitrite in microsomes of pulmonary smooth muscle: role of matrix metalloproteinase-2. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2004;1671:70-8 pubmed
- Biswas S, Khuda Bukhsh A. Effect of a homeopathic drug, Chelidonium, in amelioration of p-DAB induced hepatocarcinogenesis in mice. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2002;2:4 pubmed
- Paul S, Mandal S, Bhattacharyya S, Boujedaini N, Khuda Bukhsh A. In vitro and in vivo studies demonstrate anticancer property of root extract of Polygala senega. J Acupunct Meridian Stud. 2010;3:188-96 pubmed publisher..Therefore, results of both in vivo and in vitro studies scientifically validate its potential use as an anticancer agent, particularly against lung cancer, and provide important information potentially helpful in drug designing...
- Biswas M, Kar B, Bhattacharya S, Kumar R, Ghosh A, Haldar P. Antihyperglycemic activity and antioxidant role of Terminalia arjuna leaf in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. Pharm Biol. 2011;49:335-40 pubmed publisher..Terminalia arjuna Roxb. (Combretaceae), commonly known as Arjuna, is a large tree grown throughout the Indian peninsula and used traditionally for several medicinal purposes...
- Biswas S, Bhattacharjee N, Khuda Bukhsh A. Efficacy of a plant extract (Chelidonium majus L.) in combating induced hepatocarcinogenesis in mice. Food Chem Toxicol. 2008;46:1474-87 pubmed publisher..The results suggest anti-tumor, anti-genotoxic and hepato-protective effects of the plant extract, showing potentials for use in cancer therapy...
- Kar P, Chakraborti T, Roy S, Choudhury R, Chakraborti S. Identification of calpastatin and mu-calpain and studies of their association in pulmonary smooth muscle mitochondria. Arch Biochem Biophys. 2007;466:290-9 pubmed
- Guha B, Das J, Khuda Bukhsh A. Ameliorative effects of vitamin supplementation on ethyl methane sulphonate-induced genotoxicity in a fish, Anabas testudineus. Ecotoxicol Environ Saf. 2007;68:63-70 pubmed..The results of this study can lead to future research for exploring if low doses of these vitamins may be useful in protecting fish from genotoxic damage on exposure to mutagenic agents in small confined/stagnant waters...
- Chakraborti S, Alam M, Paik D, Shaikh S, Chakraborti T. Implications of calpains in health and diseases. Indian J Biochem Biophys. 2012;49:316-28 pubmed..Herein, we present a brief overview on some implications of calpains on human health and some diseases. ..
- Mandal M, Das S, Chakraborti T, Mandal A, Chakraborti S. Identification, purification and partial characterization of tissue inhibitor of matrix metalloproteinase-1 (TIMP-1) in bovine pulmonary artery smooth muscle. Mol Cell Biochem. 2003;254:145-55 pubmed..It was also found to be inactive against the serine proteases trypsin and plasmin. The inhibitor was heat and acid resistant and it had the sensitivity to trypsin degradation and reduction-alkylation. ..