Experts and Doctors on microbial sensitivity tests in Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Locale: Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Topic: microbial sensitivity tests
- Gautam P, Shankar J, Madan T, Sirdeshmukh R, Sundaram C, Gade W, et al. Proteomic and transcriptomic analysis of Aspergillus fumigatus on exposure to amphotericin B. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2008;52:4220-7 pubmed publisher..The expression of some of these genes was validated by real-time reverse transcription-PCR. The AMB responsive genes/proteins observed to be differentially expressed in A. fumigatus may be further explored for novel drug development. ..
- Mehta A, Rosenthal V, Mehta Y, Chakravarthy M, Todi S, Sen N, et al. Device-associated nosocomial infection rates in intensive care units of seven Indian cities. Findings of the International Nosocomial Infection Control Consortium (INICC). J Hosp Infect. 2007;67:168-74 pubmed..HCAI rates, LOS, mortality and bacterial resistance were high. Infection control programmes including surveillance and antibiotic policies are a priority in India. ..
- Poojary A, Nataraj G, Kanade S, Mehta P, Baveja S. Rapid antibiotic susceptibility testing of Mycobacterium tuberculosis: its utility in resource poor settings. Indian J Med Microbiol. 2006;24:268-72 pubmed..The kappa (k) value for INH was 0.92 and for RIF was 0.99, indicating excellent agreement between the two methods. CONRAS test is a rapid and reliable method of drug susceptibility for M. tuberculosis. ..
- Chaudhari M, Mengi S. Evaluation of phytoconstituents of Terminalia arjuna for wound healing activity in rats. Phytother Res. 2006;20:799-805 pubmed..Thus, the present study validates the claim made with respect to the plant as well as corroborating the astringent effect of tannins by drawing the tissues closer together. ..
- Clara A, Manjramkar D, Reddy V. Preclinical evaluation of magainin-A as a contraceptive antimicrobial agent. Fertil Steril. 2004;81:1357-65 pubmed..Magainin-A can be used as an effective and safe intravaginal contraceptive compound with additional protection against sexually transmitted infection-causing pathogens. ..
- Satdive R, Abhilash P, Fulzele D. Antimicrobial activity of Gymnema sylvestre leaf extract. Fitoterapia. 2003;74:699-701 pubmed..The ethanolic extract of Gymnema sylvestre leaves demonstrated antimicrobial activity against Bacillus pumilis, B. subtilis, Pseudomonas aeruginosa and Staphylococcus aureus and inactivity against Proteus vulgaris and Escherichia coli. ..
- Shetty V, Wakade A, Ghate S, Pai V, Ganapati R, Antia N. Viability and drug susceptibility testing of M. leprae using mouse footpad in 37 relapse cases of leprosy. Int J Lepr Other Mycobact Dis. 2003;71:210-7 pubmed..Also, in one case skin and nerve showed that discordance viz: M. leprae derived from skin were resistant to RFP, while those derived from nerve tested sensitive to all three drugs, indicating tissue related difference. ..
- D Souza N, Rodrigues C, Mehta A. Molecular characterization of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus with emergence of epidemic clones of sequence type (ST) 22 and ST 772 in Mumbai, India. J Clin Microbiol. 2010;48:1806-11 pubmed publisher..The PVL gene-positive methicillin-sensitive S. aureus (MSSA) strains were ST 30 and were postulated to be related to the penicillin-resistant S. aureus phage type 80/81, notorious for its virulence in the 1950s. ..
- Torumkuney D, Chaiwarith R, Reechaipichitkul W, Malatham K, Chareonphaibul V, Rodrigues C, et al. Results from the Survey of Antibiotic Resistance (SOAR) 2012-14 in Thailand, India, South Korea and Singapore. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2016;71 Suppl 1:i3-19 pubmed publisher..There was considerable variability in susceptibility among countries in the same region. Thus, continued surveillance is necessary to track future changes in antibiotic resistance. ..
- Tolani M, D souza D, Mistry N. Drug resistance mutations and heteroresistance detected using the GenoType MTBDRplus assay and their implication for treatment outcomes in patients from Mumbai, India. BMC Infect Dis. 2012;12:9 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, detection of heteroresistance could prevent inaccurate "cured" treatment outcomes documented through smear microscopy and permit more sensitive detection of neonascent resistance. ..
- Mageshwaran V, Walia S, Govindasamy V, Annapurna K. Antibacterial activity of metabolite produced by Paenibacillus polymyxa strain HKA-15 against Xanthomonas campestris pv. phaseoli. Indian J Exp Biol. 2011;49:229-33 pubmed..phaseoli by peptide like metabolite produced by Paenibacillus polymyxa strain HKA-15 under in vitro conditions showed ecological and biotechnological potential of strain HKA-15 to control common blight disease in beans...
- Lanjewar M, De A, Mathur M. Diarrheagenic E. coli in hospitalized patients: special reference to Shiga-like toxin producing Escherichia coli. Indian J Pathol Microbiol. 2010;53:75-8 pubmed publisher..In this study HUS was reported in 16.67% children. Therefore, proper isolation and identification of STEC is essential in a tertiary care centre, to initiate prompt management and reduce morbidity and mortality in children. ..
- Varaiya A, Kulkarni M, Bhalekar P, Dogra J. Incidence of carbapenem-resistant Pseudomonas aeruginosa in diabetes and cancer patients. Indian J Med Microbiol. 2008;26:238-40 pubmed..Of these 230 isolates, 26% were found to be carbapenem resistant. The rapid dissemination of carbapenem resistance is worrisome and calls for the implementation of surveillance studies as well as judicious use of antibiotics. ..
- Jain V, Garg P, Sharma S, Vemuganti G. Sutureless wound infection by unusual acid-fast organisms. Cornea. 2008;27:615-8 pubmed publisher..To report infection of self-sealing wounds in cataract surgery by unusual acid-fast organisms...
- Deshpande P, Rodrigues C, Shetty A, Kapadia F, Hedge A, Soman R. New Delhi Metallo-beta lactamase (NDM-1) in Enterobacteriaceae: treatment options with carbapenems compromised. J Assoc Physicians India. 2010;58:147-9 pubmed..Many of them were recently hospitalized in India and Pakistan and had new type of metallo beta lactamase designated as New Delhi Metallo-1 (NDM-1)...
- Agashe V, Shenai S, Mohrir G, Deshmukh M, Bhaduri A, Deshpande R, et al. Osteoarticular tuberculosis--diagnostic solutions in a disease endemic region. J Infect Dev Ctries. 2009;3:511-6 pubmed..Our objective was to assess the role of mycobacterial culture and polymerase chain reaction (PCR) in the diagnosis of osteoarticular tuberculosis (TB) in settings where only clinical and imaging diagnosis form the basis for treatment...
- Shah I, Chilkar S. Clinical profile of drug resistant tuberculosis in children. Indian Pediatr. 2012;49:741-4 pubmed..Past history of TB with treatment with antitubercular agents, and contact with adults suffering with drug-resistant TB are important risk factors in development of drug-resistant -TB in children. ..
- D souza D, Mistry N, Vira T, Dholakia Y, Hoffner S, Pasvol G, et al. High levels of multidrug resistant tuberculosis in new and treatment-failure patients from the Revised National Tuberculosis Control Programme in an urban metropolis (Mumbai) in Western India. BMC Public Health. 2009;9:211 pubmed publisher..This would assist in the planning of an adequate response to the diagnosis and care of MDRTB. ..
- Jain S, Khety Z. Changing antimicrobial resistance pattern of isolates from an ICU over a 2 year period. J Assoc Physicians India. 2012;60:27-8, 33 pubmed..3) Imepenem, Piperacillin-Tazobactum and Amikacin are still highly active against Enterobacteriacea. 4) Local data and strict infection control practices can only control the spread of virulent and resistant organisms. ..
- Rodrigues C, Jani J, Shenai S, Thakkar P, Siddiqi S, Mehta A. Drug susceptibility testing of Mycobacterium tuberculosis against second-line drugs using the Bactec MGIT 960 System. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2008;12:1449-55 pubmed..In the present study, few of the strains were resistant to fluoroquinolones and further DST for this group is required. ..
- Kambli P, Ajbani K, Nikam C, Sadani M, Shetty A, Udwadia Z, et al. Correlating rrs and eis promoter mutations in clinical isolates of Mycobacterium tuberculosis with phenotypic susceptibility levels to the second-line injectables. Int J Mycobacteriol. 2016;5:1-6 pubmed publisher..The results suggest that isolates with eis promoter mutations have consistently lower resistance levels to amikacin, kanamycin, and capreomycin than isolates with the rrs A1401G mutation. ..
- Jean S, Coombs G, Ling T, Balaji V, Rodrigues C, Mikamo H, et al. Epidemiology and antimicrobial susceptibility profiles of pathogens causing urinary tract infections in the Asia-Pacific region: Results from the Study for Monitoring Antimicrobial Resistance Trends (SMART), 2010-2013. Int J Antimicrob Agents. 2016;47:328-34 pubmed publisher..Antibiotic resistance is a serious problem in the Asia-Pacific region. Therefore, continuous monitoring of evolutionary trends in the susceptibility profiles of GNB causing UTIs in Asia is crucial. ..
- Votintseva A, Bradley P, Pankhurst L, Del Ojo Elias C, Loose M, Nilgiriwala K, et al. Same-Day Diagnostic and Surveillance Data for Tuberculosis via Whole-Genome Sequencing of Direct Respiratory Samples. J Clin Microbiol. 2017;55:1285-1298 pubmed publisher..A critical advantage of MinION is the ability to continue sequencing until sufficient coverage is obtained, providing a potential solution to the problem of variable amounts of M. tuberculosis DNA in direct samples. ..
- Wavhale R, Martis E, Ambre P, Wan B, Franzblau S, Iyer K, et al. Discovery of new leads against Mycobacterium tuberculosis using scaffold hopping and shape based similarity. Bioorg Med Chem. 2017;25:4835-4844 pubmed publisher..Interestingly the benzimidazole compound (4a) is as potent as the parent molecule BM212 (MIC 2.3?g/ml vs 0.7-1.5?g/ml), but is devoid of the toxicity against HepG2 cell lines (IC50 203.10µM vs 7.8µM). ..