Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on bacterial proteins in Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Locale: Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Topic: bacterial proteins
- Joshi A, Rao B. MutS recognition: multiple mismatches and sequence context effects. J Biosci. 2001;26:595-606 pubmed..A mismatch, upon simply being flipped at the same location, elicits changes in MutS specific contacts, thereby underscoring the importance of sequence context in modulating MutS binding to mismatches. ..
- Bandyopadhyay A, Krishnamoorthy G, Padhy L, Sonawat H. Kinetics of salt-dependent unfolding of [2Fe-2S] ferredoxin of Halobacterium salinarum. Extremophiles. 2007;11:615-25 pubmed..This intermediate then unfolds further to the low salt form of the protein...
- Ballal A, Heermann R, Jung K, Gassel M, Apte K, Altendorf K. A chimeric Anabaena/ Escherichia coli KdpD protein (Anacoli KdpD) functionally interacts with E. coli KdpE and activates kdp expression in E. coli. Arch Microbiol. 2002;178:141-8 pubmed..The data demonstrate that Anabaena KdpD can interact with the E. coliKdpD C-terminal domain resulting in a protein that is functional in vitro as well as in vivo. ..
- Kambli P, Ajbani K, Nikam C, Sadani M, Shetty A, Udwadia Z, et al. Correlating rrs and eis promoter mutations in clinical isolates of Mycobacterium tuberculosis with phenotypic susceptibility levels to the second-line injectables. Int J Mycobacteriol. 2016;5:1-6 pubmed publisher..The results suggest that isolates with eis promoter mutations have consistently lower resistance levels to amikacin, kanamycin, and capreomycin than isolates with the rrs A1401G mutation. ..
- Kota S, Misra H. Identification of a DNA processing complex from Deinococcus radiodurans. Biochem Cell Biol. 2008;86:448-58 pubmed publisher..These results suggest the molecular interactions of the known DNA repair proteins with uncharacterized proteins in the macromolecular complex and the regulation of DNA degradation with the involvement of ATP and protein kinase functions...
- Kulkarni A, Khalap N, Joshi V. Haemophilus influenzae UvrA: overexpression, purification, and in cell complementation. Protein Expr Purif. 2004;37:462-7 pubmed..In addition, when H. influenzae uvrA was introduced in E. coli uvrA mutant strain AB1886, its UV resistance was restored to near wild type level. ..
- Das A, Misra H. Characterization of DRA0282 from Deinococcus radiodurans for its role in bacterial resistance to DNA damage. Microbiology. 2011;157:2196-205 pubmed publisher..radiodurans. ..
- Mukherjee M, Mukherjee P, Kale S. cAMP signalling is involved in growth, germination, mycoparasitism and secondary metabolism in Trichoderma virens. Microbiology. 2007;153:1734-42 pubmed..Tac1 is also believed to be the first regulatory protein to be identified in T. virens that is involved in growth, germination, mycoparasitism and secondary metabolism. ..
- Domadia P, Bhunia A, Sivaraman J, Swarup S, Dasgupta D. Berberine targets assembly of Escherichia coli cell division protein FtsZ. Biochemistry. 2008;47:3225-34 pubmed publisher..Together, these results clearly indicate the inhibitory role of berberine on the assembly function of FtsZ, establishing it as a novel FtsZ inhibitor that halts the first stage in bacterial cell division. ..
- Rajpurohit Y, Misra H. DR1769, a protein with N-terminal beta propeller repeats and a low-complexity hydrophilic tail, plays a role in desiccation tolerance of Deinococcus radiodurans. J Bacteriol. 2013;195:3888-96 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that DR1769 plays an important role in desiccation and radiation resistance of D. radiodurans, possibly by protecting genome integrity under extreme conditions. ..
- Kuchibhatla A, Bhattacharya A, Panda D. ZipA binds to FtsZ with high affinity and enhances the stability of FtsZ protofilaments. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e28262 pubmed publisher..Fluorescein isothiocyanate-labeled ZipA was found to be uniformly distributed along the length of the FtsZ protofilaments indicating that ZipA stabilizes FtsZ protofilaments by cross-linking them. ..
- Basu B, Apte S. Gamma radiation-induced proteome of Deinococcus radiodurans primarily targets DNA repair and oxidative stress alleviation. Mol Cell Proteomics. 2012;11:M111.011734 pubmed publisher..The implications of both qualitative or quantitative and sequential or co-induction of radiation-responsive proteins for envisaged DNA repair mechanism in D. radiodurans are discussed...
- Desai S, Rajpurohit Y, Misra H, Deobagkar D. Characterization of the role of the RadS/RadR two-component system in the radiation resistance of Deinococcus radiodurans. Microbiology. 2011;157:2974-82 pubmed publisher..These results indicated the functional interaction of RadS and RadR, and suggested a role for the RadS/RadR two-component system in the radiation resistance of this bacterium...
- Domadia P, Swarup S, Bhunia A, Sivaraman J, Dasgupta D. Inhibition of bacterial cell division protein FtsZ by cinnamaldehyde. Biochem Pharmacol. 2007;74:831-40 pubmed..This suggests that cinnamaldehyde, a small molecule of plant origin, is a potential lead compound that can be developed as an anti-FtsZ agent towards drug design. ..
- D Souza N, Rodrigues C, Mehta A. Molecular characterization of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus with emergence of epidemic clones of sequence type (ST) 22 and ST 772 in Mumbai, India. J Clin Microbiol. 2010;48:1806-11 pubmed publisher..The PVL gene-positive methicillin-sensitive S. aureus (MSSA) strains were ST 30 and were postulated to be related to the penicillin-resistant S. aureus phage type 80/81, notorious for its virulence in the 1950s. ..
- Kamble V, Misra H. The SbcCD complex of Deinococcus radiodurans contributes to radioresistance and DNA strand break repair in vivo and exhibits Mre11-Rad50 type activity in vitro. DNA Repair (Amst). 2010;9:488-94 pubmed publisher..These results suggested that the Mre11-Rad50 type nuclease activity of SbcCD proteins contributes to the radiation resistance of D. radiodurans perhaps by promoting the RecA-dependent DSB repair required for polyploid genome maturation...
- Raju K, Misra H, Sharma A. Xanthomonas caspase displays an inherent PARP-like activity. FEMS Microbiol Lett. 2007;272:259-68 pubmed..The expressed protein though found to be inactive, cross-reacted with human caspase and PARP antibodies. This is the first report demonstrating the presence of a PARP-like activity in a prokaryote and its involvement in cell death. ..
- Mohan K, Ravi K, Suresh P, Sumerford D, Head G. Field resistance to the Bacillus thuringiensis protein Cry1Ac expressed in Bollgard(®) hybrid cotton in pink bollworm, Pectinophora gossypiella (Saunders), populations in India. Pest Manag Sci. 2016;72:738-46 pubmed publisher..These findings underscore the higher vulnerability of single-gene Bt products relative to dual-gene products expressing Cry1Ac and Cry2Ab2, and the increased risk of resistance evolution with low refuge compliance. ..
- Chaurasia A, Apte S. Improved eco-friendly recombinant Anabaena sp. strain PCC7120 with enhanced nitrogen biofertilizer potential. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2011;77:395-9 pubmed publisher..The engineered strain is stable, eco-friendly, and useful for environmental application as nitrogen biofertilizer in paddy fields...
- Joshi B, Schmid R, Altendorf K, Apte S. Protein recycling is a major component of post-irradiation recovery in Deinococcus radiodurans strain R1. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2004;320:1112-7 pubmed publisher..A major exercise in protein recycling appears to be an integral component of post-irradiation recovery in D. radiodurans and complements the extensive DNA repair, characteristic of this extremely radioresistant bacterium...
- Rastogi N, Domadia P, Shetty S, Dasgupta D. Screening of natural phenolic compounds for potential to inhibit bacterial cell division protein FtsZ. Indian J Exp Biol. 2008;46:783-7 pubmed..Effect of these antimicrobial compounds on the growth of E. coli was determined and the inhibition of FtsZ assembly in vitro was investigated. The present study revealed trans-cinnamic acid as the most potent inhibitor of FtsZ assembly. ..
- Alahari A, Apte S. Pleiotropic effects of potassium deficiency in a heterocystous, nitrogen-fixing cyanobacterium, Anabaena torulosa. Microbiology. 1998;144 ( Pt 6):1557-63 pubmed..Such pleiotropic effects of potassium deficiency demonstrate that apart from its well-known requirement for pH and turgor homeostasis, K+ plays other vital specific roles in cyanobacterial growth and metabolism. ..
- Nilgiriwala K, Alahari A, Rao A, Apte S. Cloning and overexpression of alkaline phosphatase PhoK from Sphingomonas sp. strain BSAR-1 for bioprecipitation of uranium from alkaline solutions. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2008;74:5516-23 pubmed publisher..8 g U/g dry weight in <2 h compared to only 1.5 g U/g dry weight in >7 h in BSAR-1. The data demonstrate the potential utility of genetically engineering PhoK for the bioprecipitation of uranium from alkaline solutions...
- Jindal B, Panda D. Understanding FtsZ assembly: cues from the behavior of its N- and C-terminal domains. Biochemistry. 2013;52:7071-81 pubmed publisher..The work has provided new insight into the assembly characteristics of FtsZ domains and the mechanism of FtsZ polymerization. ..
- Charaka V, Misra H. Functional characterization of the role of the chromosome I partitioning system in genome segregation in Deinococcus radiodurans. J Bacteriol. 2012;194:5739-48 pubmed publisher..These findings suggested that both segS elements and the ParA1B1 proteins of D. radiodurans are functionally active and have a role in genome segregation. ..
- Rajpurohit Y, Misra H. Characterization of a DNA damage-inducible membrane protein kinase from Deinococcus radiodurans and its role in bacterial radioresistance and DNA strand break repair. Mol Microbiol. 2010;77:1470-82 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that DR2518 as a DNA damage-responsive protein kinase plays an important role in radiation resistance and DNA strand break repair in D. radiodurans...
- Deveryshetty J, Phale P. Biodegradation of phenanthrene by Alcaligenes sp. strain PPH: partial purification and characterization of 1-hydroxy-2-naphthoic acid hydroxylase. FEMS Microbiol Lett. 2010;311:93-101 pubmed publisher..These results suggested that 1-hydroxy-2-naphthoic acid hydroxylase is a flavoprotein monooxygenase specific for 1-H2NA and different from salicylate-1-hydroxylase...
- Ajbani K, Rodrigues C, Shenai S, Mehta A. Mutation detection and accurate diagnosis of extensively drug-resistant tuberculosis: report from a tertiary care center in India. J Clin Microbiol. 2011;49:1588-90 pubmed publisher..Mutations predominant among XDR-TB were S315T (katG) (100% of isolates), S531L (rpoB) (97% of isolates), D94G (gyrA) (53% of isolates), and A1401G (rrs) (71% of isolates). Spoligotyping revealed 62% of the isolates to be Beijing. ..