Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on male in Hong Kong, Central and Western, Hong Kong
Locale: Hong Kong, Central and Western, Hong Kong
- Wu F, Wang B, Zhang S, Shi L, Wang Y, Xiong R, et al. FGF21 ameliorates diabetic cardiomyopathy by activating the AMPK-paraoxonase 1 signaling axis in mice. Clin Sci (Lond). 2017;131:1877-1893 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that FGF21 ameliorates DCM in part by activation of the AMPK-PON1 axis. ..
- Cheung K, Yung S, Chau M, Yap D, Chan K, Lee C, et al. Annexin II-binding immunoglobulins in patients with lupus nephritis and their correlation with disease manifestations. Clin Sci (Lond). 2017;131:653-671 pubmed publisher..The co-localization of annexin II and p11 expression with immune deposition in the kidney suggests pathogenic relevance. ..
- So W, Wong S, Mak J, Chan R. An evaluation of mental workload with frontal EEG. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0174949 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that frontal EEG could be used for evaluating the dynamic changes of mental workload. ..
- Chu C, Zhou N, Zhang H, Dou X, Li M, Liu S, et al. Added Value of Parotid R2* Values for Evaluation of Sjögren Syndrome: A Preliminary Study. J Comput Assist Tomogr. 2017;41:547-552 pubmed publisher..5% in the diagnosis of SS. By combining R2* value with MR nodular grade, the sensitivity reached 87.5%. Parotid R2* value contributed to the diagnosis of Sjögren syndrome combined with MR nodular grade. ..
- Kwok K, Riley S, Perera R, Wei V, Wu P, Wei L, et al. Relative incidence and individual-level severity of seasonal influenza A H3N2 compared with 2009 pandemic H1N1. BMC Infect Dis. 2017;17:337 pubmed publisher..Infection-based estimates of individual-level severity have a role in assessing emerging strains; updating seasonal vaccine components; and optimizing of vaccination programs. ..
- Cheung B, Cheng C, Lau C, Wong C, Ma R, Chu D, et al. 2016 Consensus statement on prevention of atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease in the Hong Kong population. Hong Kong Med J. 2017;23:191-201 pubmed publisher..Pharmacological interventions should be selected as appropriate after lifestyle modification. ..
- Pillai S, Lo C, Liew V, Lalloz M, Smith R, Gopalan V, et al. MicroRNA 183 family profiles in pheochromocytomas are related to clinical parameters and SDHB expression. Hum Pathol. 2017;64:91-97 pubmed publisher..To conclude, the findings indicate a role for miR-183 cluster members in the pathogenesis and clinical progression of pheochromocytoma. ..
- Jiao F, Wong C, Gangwani R, Tan K, Tang S, Lam C. Health-related quality of life and health preference of Chinese patients with diabetes mellitus managed in primary care and secondary care setting: decrements associated with individual complication and number of complications. Health Qual Life Outcomes. 2017;15:125 pubmed publisher..Findings of this study facilitated the cost-effectiveness studies of alternative management strategies for prevention of diabetic complications in Chinese population. ..
- Cho C, Ho K, Chan W, Chu R, Law I. Use of indocyanine green angiography in microsurgical subinguinal varicocelectomy - lessons learned from our initial experience. Int Braz J Urol. 2017;43:974-979 pubmed publisher..We present our initial experience in the application of the technique in nine patients and explore the potential of the new adjunct. ..
- Ching R, Sze K, Lau E, Chiu Y, Lee J, Ng I, et al. C-terminal truncated hepatitis B virus X protein regulates tumorigenicity, self-renewal and drug resistance via STAT3/Nanog signaling pathway. Oncotarget. 2017;8:23507-23516 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, our data suggest that HBx-?C1 enhances liver CSCs properties through Stat3/Nanog cascade, and provide a new insight for the therapeutic intervention for HBV-related HCC. ..
- Ong K, O Connell R, Januszewski A, Jenkins A, Xu A, Sullivan D, et al. Baseline Circulating FGF21 Concentrations and Increase after Fenofibrate Treatment Predict More Rapid Glycemic Progression in Type 2 Diabetes: Results from the FIELD Study. Clin Chem. 2017;63:1261-1270 pubmed publisher..01). Higher baseline and fenofibrate-induced increase in FGF21 concentrations predict more rapid glycemic progression in type 2 diabetes patients. This association may be partly explained by hepatic function. ..
- Chau I, Peck Radosavljevic M, Borg C, Malfertheiner P, Seitz J, Park J, et al. Ramucirumab as second-line treatment in patients with advanced hepatocellular carcinoma following first-line therapy with sorafenib: Patient-focused outcome results from the randomised phase III REACH study. Eur J Cancer. 2017;81:17-25 pubmed publisher..In patients with baseline AFP ?400 ng/mL, the significant survival benefit observed in patients treated with ramucirumab was coupled with a trend in patient-focused outcome benefits. NCT01140347. ..
- Chen H, Cai W, Chu E, Tang J, Wong C, Wong S, et al. Hepatic cyclooxygenase-2 overexpression induced spontaneous hepatocellular carcinoma formation in mice. Oncogene. 2017;36:4415-4426 pubmed publisher..Inhibition of COX-2 represents a mechanism-based target for HCC prevention. ..
- Golder V, Huq M, Franklyn K, Calderone A, Lateef A, Lau C, et al. Does expert opinion match the operational definition of the Lupus Low Disease Activity State (LLDAS)? A case-based construct validity study. Semin Arthritis Rheum. 2017;46:798-803 pubmed publisher..Discordance of results suggests that the operational definition of LLDAS is more stringent than expert opinion at defining a low disease activity state. ..
- Li W, Chan S, Wan Z, Wang M, Ho K, Lam T. Development of a community-based network to promote smoking cessation among female smokers in Hong Kong. BMC Public Health. 2017;17:311 pubmed publisher..The results also suggest that this community model of promoting gender-specific smoking cessation services is feasible. Clinicaltrials.gov ID NCT02968199 (Retrospectively registered on November 16, 2016). ..
- Tsang S, Szeto G, Li L, Wong D, Yip M, Lee R. The effects of bending speed on the lumbo-pelvic kinematics and movement pattern during forward bending in people with and without low back pain. BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2017;18:157 pubmed publisher..Individuals with low back pain moved with a stereotyped strategy at their lumbar spine and hip joints. This specific aberrant lumbo-pelvic movement pattern may have a crucial role in the maintenance of the chronicity in back pain. ..
- Leung T, Chan R, Kwok A, Ho W, Tao M, Hon K, et al. School-based surveillance for influenza vaccine effectiveness during 2014-2015 seasons in Hong Kong. Influenza Other Respir Viruses. 2017;11:319-327 pubmed publisher..However, there are limited real-life data on influenza vaccine effectiveness (VE) in children...
- Wong W, Cheung S, Miu H, Chen J, Loper K, Holroyd E. Mental health of African asylum-seekers and refugees in Hong Kong: using the social determinants of health framework. BMC Public Health. 2017;17:153 pubmed publisher..The use of community support groups or even re-examination of the family reunification laws could improve the mental health and wellbeing of African ASRs in Hong Kong. ..
- Moots R, Xavier R, Mok C, Rahman M, Tsai W, Al Maini M, et al. The impact of anti-drug antibodies on drug concentrations and clinical outcomes in rheumatoid arthritis patients treated with adalimumab, etanercept, or infliximab: Results from a multinational, real-world clinical practice, non-interventional study. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0175207 pubmed publisher..ADA were detected in ADL- and IFX-treated but not ETN-treated patients. Patients without ADA generally showed numerically better clinical outcomes than those with ADA. This study was registered on www.ClinicalTrials.gov (NCT01981473). ..
- Lam K, Lo C. Metastatic tumors of the thyroid gland: a study of 79 cases in Chinese patients. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 1998;122:37-41 pubmed..All the patients died shortly after the appearance of metastatic lesions in the thyroid gland. Metastasis in the thyroid gland is uncommon and may be a diagnostic problem. Its presence often indicates a poor prognosis. ..
- Roth G, Johnson C, Abajobir A, Abd Allah F, Abera S, Abyu G, et al. Global, Regional, and National Burden of Cardiovascular Diseases for 10 Causes, 1990 to 2015. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2017;70:1-25 pubmed publisher..Future updates of the GBD study can be used to guide policymakers who are focused on reducing the overall burden of noncommunicable disease and achieving specific global health targets for CVD. ..
- Xu J, Choy J, Tang J, Liu T, Luo H, Lou V, et al. Spontaneously Reported Symptoms by Informants Are Associated with Clinical Severity in Dementia Help-Seekers. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2017;65:1946-1952 pubmed publisher..001, Nagelkerke coefficient of determination = 29.7%, percentage correct 85.6%). The type and pervasiveness of symptoms spontaneously that informants reported predicted clinical severity. This may provide a quick reference for triage. ..
- Man K, Coghill D, Chan E, Lau W, Hollis C, Liddle E, et al. Association of Risk of Suicide Attempts With Methylphenidate Treatment. JAMA Psychiatry. 2017;74:1048-1055 pubmed publisher..Stimulants, such as methylphenidate hydrochloride, are the most common treatment for ADHD, but the association between their therapeutic use and suicide is unclear...
- Kwong Y, Chan T, Tan D, Kim S, Poon L, Mow B, et al. PD1 blockade with pembrolizumab is highly effective in relapsed or refractory NK/T-cell lymphoma failing l-asparaginase. Blood. 2017;129:2437-2442 pubmed publisher..Expression of the PD1 ligand was strong in 4 patients (3 achieving CR) and weak in 1 (achieving PR). PD1 blockade with pembrolizumab was a potent strategy for NK/T-cell lymphomas failing l-asparaginase regimens. ..
- Poulsen J, Brock C, Grønlund D, Liao D, Gregersen H, Krogh K, et al. Prolonged-Release Oxycodone/Naloxone Improves Anal Sphincter Relaxation Compared to Oxycodone Plus Macrogol 3350. Dig Dis Sci. 2017;62:3156-3166 pubmed publisher..However, it is unknown whether the inhibition can be reduced by opioid antagonism with prolonged-release (PR) naloxone and how this compares to laxative treatment...
- Ho F, Louie L, Wong W, Chan K, Tiwari A, Chow C, et al. A Sports-Based Youth Development Program, Teen Mental Health, and Physical Fitness: An RCT. Pediatrics. 2017;140: pubmed publisher..03; 95% CI, -0.18 to 0.12; P = .72). A PYD-based sports mentorship intervention improved healthy adolescents' mental well-being, psychological assets, physical fitness, and physical activity levels. ..
- Ho F, Chung K, Yeung W, Ng T, Cheng S. Weekly brief phone support in self-help cognitive behavioral therapy for insomnia disorder: Relevance to adherence and efficacy. Behav Res Ther. 2014;63:147-56 pubmed publisher..Internet-based self-help CBT-I was effective and acceptable for treating insomnia in the Chinese population. A brief telephone support further enhanced the efficacy. ..
- Li L, Wong H, McGrath C. Longitudinal Association between Obesity and Dental Caries in Adolescents. J Pediatr. 2017;189:149-154.e5 pubmed publisher..135; 95% CI 1.01-1.28; P?=?.041) at age 18 years. There is longitudinal association between central obesity and dental caries experience among adolescents aged 15-18 years. ..
- Kazi J, Chougule R, Li T, Su X, Moharram S, Rupar K, et al. Tyrosine 842 in the activation loop is required for full transformation by the oncogenic mutant FLT3-ITD. Cell Mol Life Sci. 2017;74:2679-2688 pubmed publisher..Thus, we suggest that Y842 is critical for FLT3-mediated RAS/ERK signaling and cellular transformation. ..
- Kim G, Lawrence P, Moridzadeh R, Zimmerman K, Munoz A, Luna Ortiz K, et al. New predictors of complications in carotid body tumor resection. J Vasc Surg. 2017;65:1673-1679 pubmed publisher..8 times increase in >250 mL of blood loss and 1.5 times increased risk of cranial nerve injury. ..
- Rong W, Li W, Pang M, Hu J, Wei X, Yang B, et al. A Neuromuscular Electrical Stimulation (NMES) and robot hybrid system for multi-joint coordinated upper limb rehabilitation after stroke. J Neuroeng Rehabil. 2017;14:34 pubmed publisher..The EMG-driven NMES-robotic system could improve the muscular coordination at the elbow, wrist and fingers. ClinicalTrials.gov. NCT02117089 ; date of registration: April 10, 2014. ..
- Lam T, Lu L, Ling W, Lin L. A pilot randomized controlled trial of acupuncture at the Si Guan Xue for cancer pain. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2017;17:335 pubmed publisher..However, the sample size was small, and a future multi-centre study with a larger sample size is warranted. ChiCTR-IOR-15007471 (Retroactively registered on 28 NOV 2015). ..
- Wong R, Yu P, Kwok M, Chow S, Ho J, Underwood M, et al. Endovascular Fenestration for Distal Aortic Sealing After Frozen Elephant Trunk With Thoraflex. Ann Thorac Surg. 2017;103:e479-e482 pubmed publisher..Our case illustrated a possible way to seal distal reentry in chronic type B aortic dissection. ..
- Wang E, Siu P, Pang M, Woo J, Collins A, Benzie I. Vitamin D deficiency, oxidative stress and antioxidant status: only weak association seen in the absence of advanced age, obesity or pre-existing disease. Br J Nutr. 2017;118:11-16 pubmed publisher..Poor antioxidant status may pre-date increased oxidative stress. Study of effects of correction of deficiency on antioxidant status and oxidative stress in vitamin D-deficient but otherwise healthy subjects is needed. ..
- Golder V, Kandane Rathnayake R, Hoi A, Huq M, Louthrenoo W, An Y, et al. Association of the lupus low disease activity state (LLDAS) with health-related quality of life in a multinational prospective study. Arthritis Res Ther. 2017;19:62 pubmed publisher..Disease damage was associated with worse PCS (p?<?0.001), but not MCS scores. Ethnicity, education, disease damage and specific organ involvement impacts HR-QoL in SLE. Attainment of LLDAS is associated with better HR-QoL. ..
- Chow L, Shih K, Chan J, Lai J, Ng A. Comparison of the acute ocular manifestations of Stevens-Johnson syndrome and toxic epidermal necrolysis in Chinese eyes: a 15-year retrospective study. BMC Ophthalmol. 2017;17:65 pubmed publisher..TEN had a significantly higher number of cases with mild ocular involvement when compared with SJS, but no significant difference between the number of moderate and severe cases between the two groups. ..
- Reddy A, Zhang J, Davis N, Moffitt A, Love C, Waldrop A, et al. Genetic and Functional Drivers of Diffuse Large B Cell Lymphoma. Cell. 2017;171:481-494.e15 pubmed publisher..These results comprehensively define the genetic drivers and their functional roles in DLBCL to identify new therapeutic opportunities in the disease. ..
- Hung I, To K, Lee C, Lee K, Yan W, CHAN K, et al. Hyperimmune IV immunoglobulin treatment: a multicenter double-blind randomized controlled trial for patients with severe 2009 influenza A(H1N1) infection. Chest. 2013;144:464-473 pubmed publisher..02-0.92; P = .04). Treatment of severe A(H1N1) infection with H-IVIG within 5 days of symptom onset was associated with a lower viral load and reduced mortality. ClinialTrials.gov; No.: NCT01617317; URL: www.clinicaltrials.gov. ..
- Wong Y, Samartzis D, Cheung K, Luk K. Tuberculosis of the spine with severe angular kyphosis: mean 34-year post-operative follow-up shows that prevention is better than salvage. Bone Joint J. 2017;99-B:1381-1388 pubmed publisher..To address the natural history of severe post-tuberculous (TB) kyphosis, with focus upon the long-term neurological outcome, occurrence of restrictive lung disease, and the effect on life expectancy...
- Liu Y, Xu J, Xu L, Wu T, Sun Y, Lee Y, et al. Cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator mediates tenogenic differentiation of tendon-derived stem cells and tendon repair: accelerating tendon injury healing by intervening in its downstream signaling. FASEB J. 2017;31:3800-3815 pubmed publisher..Zhang, J., Li, G. Cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator mediates tenogenic differentiation of tendon-derived stem cells and tendon repair: accelerating tendon injury healing by intervening in its downstream signaling. ..
- Ho R, Wan A, Chan J, Ng S, Chung K, Chan C. Study protocol on comparative effectiveness of mindfulness meditation and qigong on psychophysiological outcomes for patients with colorectal cancer: a randomized controlled trial. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2017;17:390 pubmed publisher..The trial has been registered in the Clinical Trials Centre of the University of Hong Kong ( HKCTR-2198 ) on 08 March 2017. ..
- Fung J, Wong T, Chok K, Chan A, Sin S, Cheung T, et al. Oral Nucleos(t)ide Analogs Alone After Liver Transplantation in Chronic Hepatitis B With Preexisting rt204 Mutation. Transplantation. 2017;101:2391-2398 pubmed publisher..The long-term outcome was excellent, with survival of 87% at 12 years after transplantation, without any mortality related to HBV reactivation. ..
- Gras D, Cousin C, Kappeler C, Fung C, Auvin S, Essid N, et al. A simple blood test expedites the diagnosis of glucose transporter type 1 deficiency syndrome. Ann Neurol. 2017;82:133-138 pubmed publisher..This test opens perspectives for the screening of GLUT1-DS in children and adults with cognitive impairment, movement disorder, or epilepsy. Ann Neurol 2017;82:133-138. ..
- Haycock P, Burgess S, Nounu A, Zheng J, Okoli G, Bowden J, et al. Association Between Telomere Length and Risk of Cancer and Non-Neoplastic Diseases: A Mendelian Randomization Study. JAMA Oncol. 2017;3:636-651 pubmed publisher..28-0.61]) and interstitial lung disease (OR, 0.09 [95% CI, 0.05-0.15]). It is likely that longer telomeres increase risk for several cancers but reduce risk for some non-neoplastic diseases, including cardiovascular diseases. ..
- Noonan M, Chau B, Rushworth M, Fellows L. Contrasting Effects of Medial and Lateral Orbitofrontal Cortex Lesions on Credit Assignment and Decision-Making in Humans. J Neurosci. 2017;37:7023-7035 pubmed publisher..Patients with lateral orbitofrontal damage had impaired credit assignment, whereas damage to medial orbitofrontal cortex meant that patients were more likely to be distracted by irrelevant options. ..
- Jaffey J, Williams K, Masseau I, Krueger M, Reinero C. Vasoproliferative process resembling pulmonary capillary hemangiomatosis in a cat. BMC Vet Res. 2017;13:72 pubmed publisher..The results from this report suggest that, as in humans, the cat can develop a pulmonary capillary hemangiomatosis-like disease in which vasodilator therapy to address pulmonary hypertension may lead to fatal pulmonary edema. ..
- Fok K, Bose R, Sheng K, Chang C, Katz Egorov M, Culty M, et al. Huwe1 Regulates the Establishment and Maintenance of Spermatogonia by Suppressing DNA Damage Response. Endocrinology. 2017;158:4000-4016 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results reveal a previously undefined role of Huwe1 in orchestrating the physiological DNA damage response in the male germline that contributes to the establishment and maintenance of spermatogonia. ..
- Cheung T, Yip P. Workplace violence towards nurses in Hong Kong: prevalence and correlates. BMC Public Health. 2017;17:196 pubmed publisher..WPV remains a significant concern for healthcare worldwide. Hong Kong's local health authority should put in place a raft of zero-tolerance measures to prevent WPV in healthcare settings. ..