Experts and Doctors on humans in Conakry, Guinea
Locale: Conakry, Guinea
- Kingue S, Ba S, Balde D, Diarra M, Anzouan Kacou J, Anisubia B, et al. The VALVAFRIC study: A registry of rheumatic heart disease in Western and Central Africa. Arch Cardiovasc Dis. 2016;109:321-9 pubmed publisher..Poverty, as quantified by GDP and educational level, affects RHD-related severity, NYHA class and left ventricular dysfunction. ..
- Camara M, Kaba D, KagbaDouno M, Sanon J, Ouendeno F, Solano P. [Human African trypanosomiasis in the mangrove forest in Guinea: epidemiological and clinical features in two adjacent outbreak areas]. Med Trop (Mars). 2005;65:155-61 pubmed..The findings of this study underline the need not only to continue surveillance in these regions but also to extend surveillance throughout the country as a means of avoiding recrudescence and extension of the disease. ..
- Diallo B, Alary M, Barry A, Rashed S. [HIV epidemic among female sex workers in Guinea: prevalence, associated risk factors, vulnerability and trend from 2001 to 2007]. Rev Epidemiol Sante Publique. 2010;58:245-54 pubmed publisher..Nevertheless, illiterate female sex workers remained highly vulnerable. ..
- Pfitzer A, Mackenzie D, Blanchard H, Hyjazi Y, Kumar S, Lisanework Kassa S, et al. A facility birth can be the time to start family planning: postpartum intrauterine device experiences from six countries. Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2015;130 Suppl 2:S54-61 pubmed publisher..Expulsion rates were 3.7% in Pakistan, 3.6% in Ethiopia, and 1.7% in Guinea and the Philippines. Infection rates did not exceed 1.3%, and three countries recorded no cases. Offering PPFP/PPIUD at birth improves access to contraception. ..
- Necochea E, Tripathi V, Kim Y, Akram N, Hyjazi Y, da Luz Vaz M, et al. Implementation of the Standards-Based Management and Recognition approach to quality improvement in maternal, newborn, and child health programs in low-resource countries. Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2015;130 Suppl 2:S17-24 pubmed publisher
- Diallo A, Sy T, Bah M, Diallo T, Barry M, Bah I, et al. [Obstetrical vesico-vaginal fistula in Guinea: Data analysis of three sites of treatment at Engender Health ONG]. Prog Urol. 2016;26:145-51 pubmed publisher..Vesico-vaginal fistula is a major cause of maternal morbidity in Guinea. The establishment of a real health policy based on sound medical and social structures contributes to its eradication. 5. ..
- Coulibaly B, Kone R, Barry M, Emerson B, Coulibaly M, Niare O, et al. Malaria vector populations across ecological zones in Guinea Conakry and Mali, West Africa. Malar J. 2016;15:191 pubmed publisher..With new malaria control interventions planned in Guinea, these data provide a baseline measure and an opportunity to assess the outcome of future interventions. ..
- Kagbadouno M, Camara M, Rouamba J, Rayaisse J, Traoré I, Camara O, et al. Epidemiology of sleeping sickness in Boffa (Guinea): where are the trypanosomes?. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2012;6:e1949 pubmed publisher..Such an integrated strategy will combine medical surveillance to find and treat cases, and vector control activities to protect people from the infective bites of tsetse. ..
- KagbaDouno M, Camara M, Bouyer J, Hervouet J, Courtin F, Jamonneau V, et al. Tsetse elimination: its interest and feasibility in the historical sleeping sickness focus of Loos islands, Guinea. Parasite. 2009;16:29-35 pubmed
- Cisse A, Morel Y, Coulibaly M, Souare I, Cisse A, Nabe A, et al. [Wilson's disease: study of 6 neurologic forms observed at the University Hospital in Conakry]. Med Trop (Mars). 2004;64:53-7 pubmed..Brain CT-scan depicted normal features in 3 cases, symmetric hypodensity of the lenticular nucleus in one, discrete ventricular dilatation of in one a and cortico-subcoetical atrophy in one. ..
- Kakou Guikahue M, N guetta R, Anzouan Kacou J, Kramoh E, N Dori R, Ba S, et al. Optimizing the management of acute coronary syndromes in sub-Saharan Africa: A statement from the AFRICARDIO 2015 Consensus Team. Arch Cardiovasc Dis. 2016;109:376-83 pubmed publisher..Our consensus statement aims to optimize patient management on the basis of realistic considerations, given the healthcare facilities, organizations and few cardiology teams that are available. ..
- Kouassi B, de Souza D, Goepogui A, Balde S, Diakité L, Sagno A, et al. Low prevalence of Plasmodium and absence of malaria transmission in Conakry, Guinea: prospects for elimination. Malar J. 2016;15:175 pubmed publisher..The heterogeneity in species composition and resistance profiles call for vector control interventions that are tailored to the local bio-ecological setting. ..
- Cimini E, Viola D, Cabeza Cabrerizo M, Romanelli A, Tumino N, Sacchi A, et al. Different features of V?2 T and NK cells in fatal and non-fatal human Ebola infections. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2017;11:e0005645 pubmed publisher..Further studies are required to characterize the protective effector functions of V?2 and NK cells. ..
- Kim J, Hanotte O, Mwai O, Dessie T, Bashir S, Diallo B, et al. The genome landscape of indigenous African cattle. Genome Biol. 2017;18:34 pubmed publisher..Our findings unravel at the genome-wide level, the unique adaptive diversity of African cattle while emphasizing the opportunities for sustainable improvement of livestock productivity on the continent. ..
- Jansen O, Tchinda A, Loua J, Esters V, Cieckiewicz E, Ledoux A, et al. Antiplasmodial activity of Mezoneuron benthamianum leaves and identification of its active constituents. J Ethnopharmacol. 2017;203:20-26 pubmed publisher..The active compounds can be further studied for their antiplasmodial potential, as well as their suitability to be used as quality markers for the standardization of this herbal drug from the Guinean traditional pharmacopeia. ..
- Keita M, Taverne B, Sy Savané S, March L, Doukoure M, Sow M, et al. Depressive symptoms among survivors of Ebola virus disease in Conakry (Guinea): preliminary results of the PostEboGui cohort. BMC Psychiatry. 2017;17:127 pubmed publisher..In the current post-epidemic context, these cases underscore the need to strengthen mental health diagnostic systems and treatment on a national scale. ..
- Dudas G, Carvalho L, Bedford T, Tatem A, Baele G, Faria N, et al. Virus genomes reveal factors that spread and sustained the Ebola epidemic. Nature. 2017;544:309-315 pubmed publisher..These insights will help to inform interventions in future epidemics...
- Bekolo C, Diallo A, Philips M, Yuma J, Di Stefano L, DrÃ¨ze S, et al. Six-monthly appointment spacing for clinical visits as a model for retention in HIV Care in Conakry-Guinea: a cohort study. BMC Infect Dis. 2017;17:766 pubmed publisher..R6M could be rolled out as the model of care for stable patients where and when feasible as a strategy likely to improve retention in HIV care. ..
- Edwards T, Semple M, De Weggheleire A, Claeys Y, De Crop M, Menten J, et al. Design and analysis considerations in the Ebola_Tx trial evaluating convalescent plasma in the treatment of Ebola virus disease in Guinea during the 2014-2015 outbreak. Clin Trials. 2016;13:13-21 pubmed publisher..Ongoing studies seek to quantify the level of neutralizing antibodies in different plasma donations to determine whether this influences the response and survival of treated patients. ..
- Camara A, Balde N, Diakite M, Sylla D, Baldé E, Kengne A, et al. High prevalence, low awareness, treatment and control rates of hypertension in Guinea: results from a population-based STEPS survey. J Hum Hypertens. 2016;30:237-44 pubmed publisher..Urgent response is needed in the form of integrated and comprehensive action targeting major non-communicable diseases in the country. ..
- Delamou A, Koivogui A, Dubourg D, Delvaux T. Family planning in Guinea: a need for better public commitment. Trop Med Int Health. 2014;19:65-73 pubmed publisher..5% in 1992 to 6.8% in 2005 among women aged 15-49. A stronger national engagement in favour of repositioning FP should result in improved government funding of the FP programme and the promotion of long-acting and permanent methods. ..
- Baldé E, Megalizzi V, Traoré M, Cos P, Maes L, Decaestecker C, et al. In vitro antiprotozoal, antimicrobial and antitumor activity of Pavetta crassipes K. Schum leaf extracts. J Ethnopharmacol. 2010;130:529-35 pubmed publisher..These analyses revealed that the components present in the alkaloid extract of Pavetta crassipes are responsible for its antiprotozoal and cytotoxic efficacy. ..
- Camara M, Camara O, Ilboudo H, Sakande H, Kaboré J, N Dri L, et al. Sleeping sickness diagnosis: use of buffy coats improves the sensitivity of the mini anion exchange centrifugation test. Trop Med Int Health. 2010;15:796-9 pubmed publisher..The use of the mAECT-bc protocol enabled a significant improvement of HAT parasitological diagnosis in Guinea, without any additional costs. It would deserve to be tested in other T.b. gambiense endemic areas. ..
- Vanhecke C, Guevart E, Ezzedine K, Receveur M, Jamonneau V, Bucheton B, et al. [Human African trypanosomiasis in mangrove epidemiologic area. Presentation, diagnosis and treatment in Guinea, 2005-2007]. Pathol Biol (Paris). 2010;58:110-6 pubmed publisher..Gambiense human African trypanosomiasis is still assumed to be endemic in many part of West Africa, particularly in Guinea coastal area with mangrove swamp. Diagnosis is usually made during active medical screening or by passive initiative...
- Cisse F, Bah H, Konate F, Camara N, Camara M, Conde K, et al. [Neurological disorders related to vitamin B12 deficiency in prisons in Guinea: a 22-case study]. Bull Soc Pathol Exot. 2013;106:156-9 pubmed publisher..Biermer's disease was identified in 9 patients, 3 patients showed the syndrome of non dissociation of vitamin B12, a gastrectomy in 2 patients and no etiology was identified in 8 patients. ..
- Kagbadouno M, Camara M, Bouyer J, Courtin F, Onikoyamou M, Schofield C, et al. Progress towards the eradication of Tsetse from the Loos islands, Guinea. Parasit Vectors. 2011;4:18 pubmed publisher..After baseline data collection, tsetse control began on the islands in 2006. On each of the three islands a specific combination of control methods was implemented according to the entomological situation found...