Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on humans in Crete, Greece
Locale: Crete, Greece
Publications388 found, 100 shown here
- Seblová V, Myskova J, Hlaváčová J, Votypka J, Antoniou M, Volf P. Natural hybrid of Leishmania infantum/L. donovani: development in Phlebotomus tobbi, P. perniciosus and Lutzomyia longipalpis and comparison with non-hybrid strains differing in tissue tropism. Parasit Vectors. 2015;8:605 pubmed publisher..donovani complex developed late-stage infections in natural L. infantum vectors, P. perniciosus and L. longipalpis and none of the parameters studied seem to be linked with different tropism of parasites in the vertebrate host. ..
- Chrysos E, Tzortzinis A, Tsiaoussis J, Athanasakis H, Vasssilakis J, Xynos E. Prospective randomized trial comparing Nissen to Nissen-Rossetti technique for laparoscopic fundoplication. Am J Surg. 2001;182:215-21 pubmed
- Mazokopakis E, Papadakis J, Papadomanolaki M, Batistakis A, Giannakopoulos T, Protopapadakis E, et al. Effects of 12 months treatment with L-selenomethionine on serum anti-TPO Levels in Patients with Hashimoto's thyroiditis. Thyroid. 2007;17:609-12 pubmed..The extension of Se supplementation for 6 more months resulted in an additional 8% decrease, while the cessation caused a 4.8% increase, in the anti-TPO concentrations. ..
- Thymiakou E, Zannis V, Kardassis D. Physical and functional interactions between liver X receptor/retinoid X receptor and Sp1 modulate the transcriptional induction of the human ATP binding cassette transporter A1 gene by oxysterols and retinoids. Biochemistry. 2007;46:11473-83 pubmed..Overall, the present study revealed a novel mechanism of regulation of the human ABCA1 transporter which involves synergistic interactions between oxysterol/retinoid-inducible hormone nuclear receptors and the transcription factor Sp1. ..
- Margioris A. Fatty acids and postprandial inflammation. Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care. 2009;12:129-37 pubmed publisher..In this review, we will summarize all experimental evidence suggesting that the two families of PUFA appear to have antagonistic effects on postprandial inflammation, n-3 PUFA being anti-inflammatory while n-6 PUFA proinflammatory. ..
- Perisinakis K, Papadakis A, Damilakis J. The effect of x-ray beam quality and geometry on radiation utilization efficiency in multidetector CT imaging. Med Phys. 2009;36:1258-66 pubmed..05). Overbeaming strongly depends on the beam collimation and focal spot size, while the impact of beam quality on GE is less pronounced. Thin beam collimations are associated with a GE of as low as 30%. ..
- Kymionis G, Karavitaki A, Kounis G, Portaliou D, Yoo S, Pallikaris I. Management of pellucid marginal corneal degeneration with simultaneous customized photorefractive keratectomy and collagen crosslinking. J Cataract Refract Surg. 2009;35:1298-301 pubmed publisher..Corneal topography revealed a significant improvement in both eyes. Despite the encouraging results, longer follow-up is necessary to confirm the stability of the results. ..
- Kondili E, Alexopoulou C, Xirouchaki N, Vaporidi K, Georgopoulos D. Estimation of inspiratory muscle pressure in critically ill patients. Intensive Care Med. 2010;36:648-55 pubmed publisher..A signal generated from flow, volume and airway pressure may be used to provide breath-by-breath quantitative information of inspiratory muscle pressure. ..
- Samoutis G, Soteriades E, Stoffers H, Philalithis A, Delicha E, Lionis C. A pilot quality improvement intervention in patients with diabetes and hypertension in primary care settings of Cyprus. Fam Pract. 2010;27:263-70 pubmed publisher..Future studies need to involve a broader number of practices and patient populations. ..
- Kolli S, Aslanides I. Safety and efficacy of collagen crosslinking for the treatment of keratoconus. Expert Opin Drug Saf. 2010;9:949-57 pubmed publisher..Available data suggest that this treatment has high efficacy and is very safe and may represent the future standard treatment for progressive keratoconus. ..
- Nikoletopoulou V, Markaki M, Palikaras K, Tavernarakis N. Crosstalk between apoptosis, necrosis and autophagy. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2013;1833:3448-3459 pubmed publisher..This article is part of a Special Section entitled: Cell Death Pathways. ..
- Sonnenschein van der Voort A, Arends L, de Jongste J, Annesi Maesano I, Arshad S, Barros H, et al. Preterm birth, infant weight gain, and childhood asthma risk: a meta-analysis of 147,000 European children. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2014;133:1317-29 pubmed publisher..01-1.27). Younger gestational age at birth and higher infant weight gain were associated with childhood asthma outcomes. The associations of lower birth weight with childhood asthma were largely explained by gestational age at birth. ..
- Chouvarda I, Babalis D, Papaioannou V, Maglaveras N, Georgopoulos D. Multiparametric modeling of the ineffective efforts in assisted ventilation within an ICU. Med Biol Eng Comput. 2016;54:441-51 pubmed publisher..The proposed model shows good correlation (over 0.74) with the actual outputs, constituting an encouraging step toward understanding of ICU ventilation dynamic phenomena. ..
- Petsalaki E, Zachos G. Clks 1, 2 and 4 prevent chromatin breakage by regulating the Aurora B-dependent abscission checkpoint. Nat Commun. 2016;7:11451 pubmed publisher..We propose that Clks 1, 2 and 4 impose the abscission checkpoint by phosphorylating Aurora B-S331 at the midbody. ..
- Teleb M, Kuppast B, Spyridaki K, Liapakis G, Fahmy H. Synthesis of 2-imino and 2-hydrazono thiazolo[4,5-d]pyrimidines as corticotropin releasing factor (CRF) antagonists. Eur J Med Chem. 2017;138:900-908 pubmed publisher..A lead compound was identified and further evaluated by measuring its effect on the inhibition of the agonist-stimulated accumulation of second messengers. ..
- Kourmouli N, Dialynas G, Petraki C, Pyrpasopoulou A, Singh P, Georgatos S, et al. Binding of heterochromatin protein 1 to the nuclear envelope is regulated by a soluble form of tubulin. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:13007-14 pubmed..These observations provide a new example of "moonlighting," a process whereby multimeric proteins switch function when their aggregation state or localization is altered. ..
- Zeghichi S, Kallithraka S, Simopoulos A. Nutritional composition of molokhia (Corchorus olitorius) and stamnagathi (Cichorium spinosum). World Rev Nutr Diet. 2003;91:1-21 pubmed
- Tamiolakis D, Papadopoulos N, Lambropoulou M, Venizelos J, Verettas D, Tsikouras P, et al. Ber-H2 (CD30) immunohistochemical staining of human fetal tissues. Int J Biol Sci. 2005;1:135-40 pubmed..CD30 antigen is of importance in cell development, and proliferation. It is also pathway-related to terminal differentiation in many fetal tissues and organs. ..
- Apostolakis S, Baritaki S, Krambovitis E, Spandidos D. Distribution of HIV/AIDS protective SDF1, CCR5 and CCR2 gene variants within Cretan population. J Clin Virol. 2005;34:310-4 pubmed..Since this polymorphism is related with delayed progression from HIV infection to AIDS, it could be used for prognostic genotyping in HIV infected Cretan individuals. ..
- Kyrmizakis D, Drivas E, Kruger Krasagakis S, Hajiioannou I, Karatzanis A, Velegrakis G. Acute rhinosinusitis associated with Sweet's syndrome. J Otolaryngol. 2006;35:144-7 pubmed
- Stefanidou M, Antoniou M, Koutsopoulos A, Neofytou Y, Krasagakis K, Kruger Krasagakis S, et al. A rare case of leishmaniasis recidiva cutis evolving for 31 years caused by Leishmania tropica. Int J Dermatol. 2008;47:588-9 pubmed publisher..Complete regression was achieved with meglumine antimoniate (Glucantime) given intramuscularly (15 mg Sb(V)/kg/day for 15 days) and cryosurgery with liquid nitrogen. No recurrence was noted during a 12-month follow-up period...
- Zacharioudaki V, Androulidaki A, Arranz A, Vrentzos G, Margioris A, Tsatsanis C. Adiponectin promotes endotoxin tolerance in macrophages by inducing IRAK-M expression. J Immunol. 2009;182:6444-51 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, our data demonstrate that IRAK-M is a major mediator of gAd-induced endotoxin tolerance in primary macrophages, expression of which depends on the activation of Tpl2/ERK and PI3K/Akt1 signaling pathways. ..
- Grentzelos M, Plainis S, Astyrakakis N, Diakonis V, Kymionis G, Kallinikos P, et al. Efficacy of 2 types of silicone hydrogel bandage contact lenses after photorefractive keratectomy. J Cataract Refract Surg. 2009;35:2103-8 pubmed publisher..7% of the eyes in the lotrafilcon B group. There were no differences in corneal reepithelialization or subjective measurements after PRK between the 2 types of silicone hydrogel bandage contact lenses. ..
- Tzanakis N, Tsiligianni I, Siafakas N. Pulmonary involvement and allergic disorders in inflammatory bowel disease. World J Gastroenterol. 2010;16:299-305 pubmed..The purpose of this review is to update clinicians on recent available literature and to discuss the need for a highly suspicious approach by clinicians. ..
- Zafiropoulos A, Linardakis M, Jansen E, Tsatsakis A, Kafatos A, Tzanakakis G. Paraoxonase 1 R/Q alleles are associated with differential accumulation of saturated versus 20:5n3 fatty acid in human adipose tissue. J Lipid Res. 2010;51:1991-2000 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, a novel function is suggested for PON1 on the fatty acid composition in the adipose tissue through the positive association of the R allele with saturated fatty acid and of the Q allele with 20:5n3 fatty acid deposition. ..
- Konsolaki E, Astyrakaki E, Stefanakis G, Agouridakis P, Askitopoulou H. Cranial trauma in ancient Greece: from Homer to classical authors. J Craniomaxillofac Surg. 2010;38:549-53 pubmed publisher..Most of these descriptions show that the ancient Greeks possessed very good knowledge of the anatomy of the head and neck region and also of the pathophysiological consequences of trauma in the region. ..
- Plainis S, Petratou D, Giannakopoulou T, Atchison D, Tsilimbaris M. Binocular summation improves performance to defocus-induced blur. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2011;52:2784-9 pubmed publisher..The increased binocular facilitation observed with retinal blur may be due to the activation of a larger population of neurons at close-to-threshold detection under binocular stimulation. ..
- Radojicic J, Zaravinos A, Vrekoussis T, Kafousi M, Spandidos D, Stathopoulos E. MicroRNA expression analysis in triple-negative (ER, PR and Her2/neu) breast cancer. Cell Cycle. 2011;10:507-17 pubmed..miR-21, miR-210 and miR-221 expression plays a significant role in triple- negative primary breast cancers. ..
- Lasithiotaki I, Giannarakis I, Tsitoura E, Samara K, Margaritopoulos G, Choulaki C, et al. NLRP3 inflammasome expression in idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis and rheumatoid lung. Eur Respir J. 2016;47:910-8 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results suggest distinct inflammasome activation profiles between autoimmune and idiopathic lung fibrosis. ..
- Thermos K. Functional mapping of somatostatin receptors in the retina: a review. Vision Res. 2003;43:1805-15 pubmed..The important role of somatostatin in retinal disease therapeutics is also discussed. ..
- Maraki S, Scoulica E, Alpantaki K, Dialynas M, Tselentis Y. Lymphocutaneous nocardiosis due to Nocardia brasiliensis. Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis. 2003;47:341-4 pubmed..The identification of the isolate was confirmed by nucleotide sequence analysis of the 16S rRNA gene. ..
- Vlata Z, Porichis F, Tzanakakis G, Tsatsakis A, Krambovitis E. A study of zearalenone cytotoxicity on human peripheral blood mononuclear cells. Toxicol Lett. 2006;165:274-81 pubmed..Expose of PBMC to 1microg/ml ZEA did not alter the viability of the cells. Our results suggest that high ZEA concentrations in the blood may well exert cytotoxic effects that merit further investigation. ..
- Pavlidis P, Poirazi P. Individualized markers optimize class prediction of microarray data. BMC Bioinformatics. 2006;7:345 pubmed
- Fragouli E, Eliopoulos E, Petraki E, Sidiropoulos P, Aksentijevich I, Galanakis E, et al. Familial Mediterranean Fever in Crete: a genetic and structural biological approach in a population of 'intermediate risk'. Clin Genet. 2008;73:152-9 pubmed publisher..In this model, the 'flexible loops' of caspase-1 appear to have no access to some positions that have been previously associated with mild disease, suggesting that alternative pathogenic pathways leading to FMF need to be explored. ..
- Xirouchaki N, Kondili E, Vaporidi K, Xirouchakis G, Klimathianaki M, Gavriilidis G, et al. Proportional assist ventilation with load-adjustable gain factors in critically ill patients: comparison with pressure support. Intensive Care Med. 2008;34:2026-34 pubmed publisher..Compared to PS, PAV+ increases the probability of remaining on spontaneous breathing, while it considerably reduces the incidence of patient-ventilator asynchronies. ..
- Mamoulakis D, Bitsori M, Galanakis E, Vazgiourakis V, Panierakis C, Goulielmos G. Intron 4 polymorphism of the endothelial nitric oxide synthase eNOS gene and early microangiopathy in type 1 diabetes. Int J Immunogenet. 2009;36:153-7 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that a/b polymorphism of the intron 4 eNOS gene is not associated with early onset diabetic microangiopathy. ..
- Zervou M, Goulielmos G, Castro Giner F, Tosca A, Krueger Krasagakis S. STAT4 gene polymorphism is associated with psoriasis in the genetically homogeneous population of Crete, Greece. Hum Immunol. 2009;70:738-41 pubmed publisher..045, odds ratio = 1.42, 95% confidence interval 1.01-2.00), thus concluding that the polymorphism examined is associated with the development of psoriasis in our population. ..
- Mazokopakis E, Karefilakis C, Starakis I. Q fever endocarditis. Infect Disord Drug Targets. 2010;10:27-31 pubmed..The epidemiology, signs and symptoms, laboratory findings, diagnosis and treatment of Q fever endocarditis are presented in our review. ..
- Kymionis G, Kontadakis G, Agorogiannis G, Bennett M, Angelidou F. Descemet stripping automated endothelial keratoplasty combined with phacoemulsification in Chandler syndrome. Eur J Ophthalmol. 2011;21:495-7 pubmed publisher..To report a case of Descemet stripping automated endothelial keratoplasty (DSAEK) in combination with phacoemulsification and implantation of intraocular lens (IOL) (triple procedure) in a patient with Chandler syndrome...
- Briassoulis G, Damjanovic S, Xekouki P, Lefebvre H, Stratakis C. The glucocorticoid receptor and its expression in the anterior pituitary and the adrenal cortex: a source of variation in hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis function; implications for pituitary and adrenal tumors. Endocr Pract. 2011;17:941-8 pubmed publisher..Particular attention was paid to interactions that may affect the interpretation of diagnostic testing of the HPA axis in patients with pituitary adenomas (Cushing disease) or adrenocortical tumors (Cushing syndrome). ..
- Pasparakis G, Manouras T, Argitis P, Vamvakaki M. Photodegradable polymers for biotechnological applications. Macromol Rapid Commun. 2012;33:183-98 pubmed publisher..Novel photochemistries have been combined with controlled polymerization methods, which result in well-defined photodegradable materials that exhibit light mediated and often controlled fragmentation processes. ..
- Perdikakis E, Kehagias E, Tsetis D. Common and uncommon complications of totally implantable central venous ports: a pictorial essay. J Vasc Access. 2012;13:345-50 pubmed publisher..The purpose of this study is to present the characteristic radiologic features of common and uncommon complications in totally implantable central venous ports...
- Tsirakis G, Pappa C, Spanoudakis M, Chochlakis D, Alegakis A, Psarakis F, et al. Clinical significance of sCD105 in angiogenesis and disease activity in multiple myeloma. Eur J Intern Med. 2012;23:368-73 pubmed publisher..CD105 seems to play an important role in angiogenesis and tumor progression. Circulating levels of sCD105 could detect patients with more advanced disease and might help in evaluating the response to treatment. ..
- Bouloukaki I, Komninos I, Mermigkis C, Micheli K, Komninou M, Moniaki V, et al. Translation and validation of Berlin questionnaire in primary health care in Greece. BMC Pulm Med. 2013;13:6 pubmed publisher..The findings of our study confirm that such screening tools should be used by primary care clinicians for OSAS prediction. ..
- Ioannou C, Kontopodis N, Georgakarakos E, Kehagias E, Metaxa E, Lioudaki S, et al. Routine use of an aortic balloon to resolve possible inflow stenosis induced by the inflatable ring fixation mechanism of the Ovation endograft. Radiol Med. 2016;121:882-889 pubmed..Overall, the hemodynamic impact of this abnormality seems to be clinically insignificant at 1-month follow-up. ..
- Peraki I, Palis J, Mavrothalassitis G. The Ets2 Repressor Factor (Erf) Is Required for Effective Primitive and Definitive Hematopoiesis. Mol Cell Biol. 2017;37: pubmed publisher..We conclude that Erf is required for both primitive and erythromyeloid progenitor waves of hematopoietic stem cell (HSC)-independent hematopoiesis as well as for the normal function of HSCs. ..
- Hadjipavlou A, Gaitanis I, Papadopoulos C, Katonis P, Kontakis G. Serratia spondylodiscitis after elective lumbar spine surgery: a report of two cases. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2002;27:E507-12 pubmed..This report describes two cases of acute spondylodiscitis, caused by, complicating two different conditions: microdiscectomy for herniated nucleus pulposus and decompressing laminotomy for spinal stenosis...
- Manios E, Mavrakis H, Kanoupakis E, Kallergis E, Dermitzaki D, Kambouraki D, et al. Effects of amiodarone and diltiazem on persistent atrial fibrillation conversion and recurrence rates: a randomized controlled study. Cardiovasc Drugs Ther. 2003;17:31-9 pubmed
- Fullard J. The role of the platelet glycoprotein IIb/IIIa in thrombosis and haemostasis. Curr Pharm Des. 2004;10:1567-76 pubmed..Due to its critical role in mediating platelet aggregate formation GPIIb/IIIa has become a primary target for the development of antithrombotic agents. ..
- Briassoulis G, Mavrikiou M, Margeli A, Lazaropoulou C, Natsi L, Papassotiriou I, et al. Circulating levels of KL-6 in acute respiratory distress syndrome sepsis or traumatic brain injury in critically ill children. Pediatr Pulmonol. 2006;41:790-5 pubmed..Only in patients with ARDS, plasma KL-6 levels were higher in non-survivors than survivors (P < 0.03). Plasma KL-6 levels have possible prognostic significance and may provide a useful marker for ARDS in critically ill children. ..
- Lachanas V, Koutsopoulos A, Hajiioannou J, Bizaki A, Helidonis E, Bizakis J. Osteoid osteoma of the ethmoid bone associated with dacryocystitis. Head Face Med. 2006;2:23 pubmed..Osteoid osteomas (OO) are small, benign osteoblastic lesions. Ethmoid bone OO has been very rarely reported so far...
- Pontikoglou C, Liapakis G, Pyrovolaki K, Papadakis M, Bux J, Eliopoulos G, et al. Evidence for downregulation of erythropoietin receptor in bone marrow erythroid cells of patients with chronic idiopathic neutropenia. Exp Hematol. 2006;34:1312-22 pubmed..We suggest that anemia in CIN patients displays overlapping pathophysiologic features with anemia of chronic disease. ..
- Kyrmizakis D, Karatzanis A, Bourolias C, Hadjiioannou J, Velegrakis G. Nonmicrosurgical reconstruction of the auricle after traumatic amputation due to human bite. Head Face Med. 2006;2:45 pubmed..Replantation of a severed ear without microsurgery can be a safe alternative as long as a proper technique is selected...
- Bizakis J, Karatzanis A, Hajiioannou J, Bourolias C, Maganas E, Spanakis E, et al. Diagnosis and management of substernal goiter at the University of Crete. Surg Today. 2008;38:99-103 pubmed publisher..A thorough preoperative evaluation including computed tomography scan of the neck and mediastinum, and an appropriate surgical technique ensure a positive outcome for most patients with an SSG...
- Zaravinos A, Bizakis J, Spandidos D. RKIP and BRAF aberrations in human nasal polyps and the adjacent turbinate mucosae. Cancer Lett. 2008;264:288-98 pubmed publisher..RKIP could play an important role in the down-regulation of wild-type BRAF, serving thus as an endogenous inhibitor of the MAPK pathway in nasal polyps and their adjacent turbinate mucosa. ..
- Kanellou P, Zaravinos A, Zioga M, Stratigos A, Baritaki S, Soufla G, et al. Genomic instability, mutations and expression analysis of the tumour suppressor genes p14(ARF), p15(INK4b), p16(INK4a) and p53 in actinic keratosis. Cancer Lett. 2008;264:145-61 pubmed publisher..The deregulation of the expression profiles of the CDKN2A, CDKN2B and p53 genes may, independently of mutations and LOH at 9p21, play a significant role in AK and progression of AK to SCC. ..
- Kourtis N, Tavernarakis N. Autophagy and cell death in model organisms. Cell Death Differ. 2009;16:21-30 pubmed publisher..In this review, we survey current research in simple organisms, linking autophagy to cell death and discuss the complex interplay between autophagy, cell survival and cell death. ..
- Bertsias G, Nakou M, Choulaki C, Raptopoulou A, Papadimitraki E, Goulielmos G, et al. Genetic, immunologic, and immunohistochemical analysis of the programmed death 1/programmed death ligand 1 pathway in human systemic lupus erythematosus. Arthritis Rheum. 2009;60:207-18 pubmed publisher..The expression of PD-1/PDL-1 in renal tissue and during AMLRs suggests an important role in regulating peripheral T cell tolerance. ..
- Lyronis I, Ploumis N, Vlahakis I, Charissis G. Acute scrotum -etiology, clinical presentation and seasonal variation. Indian J Pediatr. 2009;76:407-10 pubmed publisher..The low temperatures during winter may account for the increased incidence of the torsion of both the spermatic cord torsion and the appendages. ..
- Apostolakis S, Vogiatzi K, Amanatidou V, Spandidos D. Interleukin 8 and cardiovascular disease. Cardiovasc Res. 2009;84:353-60 pubmed publisher..In the present review, the available evidence regarding the role of IL-8 in cardiovascular disease is presented, and future perspectives are discussed. ..
- Detorakis E, Zaravinos A, Spandidos D. Growth factor expression in ophthalmic pterygia and normal conjunctiva. Int J Mol Med. 2010;25:513-6 pubmed..VEGFA expression may have potential for use in the selective treatment of pterygium with anti-VEGFA agents. ..
- Kalogeraki A, Tzardi M, Papadakis M, Stathopoulos E, Kouroumalis E, Zoras O. Apoptosis and cell proliferation correlated with tumor grade in patients with ampullary carcinoma. Acta Cytol. 2010;54:39-42 pubmed
- Papadopoulou E, Sismani C, Christodoulou C, Ioannides M, Kalmanti M, Patsalis P. Phenotype-genotype correlation of a patient with a "balanced" translocation 9;15 and cryptic 9q34 duplication and 15q21q25 deletion. Am J Med Genet A. 2010;152A:1515-22 pubmed publisher..We provide correlation between the clinical findings of our patient and the phenotype of the 9q34 duplication syndrome, the 15q21, and the 15q25 deletion syndromes. ..
- Eleftheriadou A, Koudounarakis E. Vestibular-evoked myogenic potentials eliciting: an overview. Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol. 2011;268:331-9 pubmed publisher..However, the new ocular VEMPs in response to bone conducted vibration seem to be of clinical importance for the evaluation of utricular function. Further research is needed to support its clinical usefulness. ..
- Papadaki H. Autoreactive T-lymphocytes are implicated in the pathogenesis of bone marrow failure in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus. Leuk Lymphoma. 2003;44:1301-7 pubmed
- Pelagiadis I, Dimitriou H, Kalmanti M. Biologic characteristics of mesenchymal stromal cells and their clinical applications in pediatric patients. J Pediatr Hematol Oncol. 2008;30:301-9 pubmed publisher..Appropriate preclinical models, completion of ongoing and development of new clinical trials will establish the role of these cells in the treatment of both adult and pediatric patients. ..
- Xenidis N, Ignatiadis M, Apostolaki S, Perraki M, Kalbakis K, Agelaki S, et al. Cytokeratin-19 mRNA-positive circulating tumor cells after adjuvant chemotherapy in patients with early breast cancer. J Clin Oncol. 2009;27:2177-84 pubmed publisher..001) and overall survival (P = .003). The detection of CK-19 mRNA-positive CTCs in the blood after adjuvant chemotherapy is an independent risk factor indicating the presence of chemotherapy-resistant residual disease. ..
- Agelaki S, Hatzidaki D, Kotsakis A, Papakotoulas P, Polyzos A, Ziras N, et al. Non-platinum-based first-line followed by platinum-based second-line chemotherapy or the reverse sequence in patients with advanced non-small cell lung cancer: a retrospective analysis by the lung cancer group of the Hellenic Oncology Research Group. Oncology. 2010;78:229-36 pubmed publisher..538). Both sequences resulted in similar efficacy in terms of overall survival. Encouraging median survival was achieved for selected patients with NSCLC who received both first- and second-line chemotherapy. ..
- Detorakis E, Mavrikakis I, Ioannakis K, Pallikaris I. Monocanalicular intubation in external dacryocystorhinostomy. Ophthalmic Plast Reconstr Surg. 2011;27:439-41 pubmed publisher..The technique may have advantages over bicanalicular intubation, such as easier insertion and removal, easier probing and irrigation though the unintubated canaliculus and, more importantly, less risk of punctal or corneal damage. ..
- Voskarides K, Stefanou C, Pieri M, Demosthenous P, Felekkis K, Arsali M, et al. A functional variant in NEPH3 gene confers high risk of renal failure in primary hematuric glomerulopathies. Evidence for predisposition to microalbuminuria in the general population. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0174274 pubmed publisher..Additionally, genetics studies provide evidence for a role in predisposing homozygous subjects of the general population to micro-albuminuria. ..
- Alexandrakis M, Kyriakou D, Seretakis D, Boucher W, Letourneau R, Kempuraj D, et al. Inhibitory effect of retinoic acid on proliferation, maturation and tryptase level in human leukemic mast cells (HMC-1). Int J Immunopathol Pharmacol. 2003;16:43-7 pubmed..These results indicate that ATRA significantly inhibits both proliferation and growth as shown by the decreased intracellular tryptase levels in HMC-1. ATRA may be a useful agent in the treatment of mast cell proliferative disorders...
- Alexandrakis M, Passam F, Kyriakou D, Christophoridou A, Perisinakis K, Hatzivasili A, et al. Serum level of interleukin-16 in multiple myeloma patients and its relationship to disease activity. Am J Hematol. 2004;75:101-6 pubmed..In the pre-treatment group, IL-16 correlated with alpha1AT and IL-6 (r=0.374, P<0.01 and r=0.454, P<0.002, respectively). IL-16 may play a role in multiple myeloma; however, further functional studies are required. ..
- Souglakos J, Philips J, Wang R, Marwah S, Silver M, Tzardi M, et al. Prognostic and predictive value of common mutations for treatment response and survival in patients with metastatic colorectal cancer. Br J Cancer. 2009;101:465-72 pubmed publisher..The adverse significance of BRAF mutation should inform patient selection and stratification in clinical trials. ..
- Kavousanaki M, Makrigiannakis A, Boumpas D, Verginis P. Novel role of plasmacytoid dendritic cells in humans: induction of interleukin-10-producing Treg cells by plasmacytoid dendritic cells in patients with rheumatoid arthritis responding to therapy. Arthritis Rheum. 2010;62:53-63 pubmed publisher..Modulation of the immune response by plasmacytoid DCs might provide novel immune-based therapies in autoimmunity and transplantation. ..
- Papadaki A, Linardakis M, Plada M, Larsen T, van Baak M, Lindroos A, et al. A multicentre weight loss study using a low-calorie diet over 8 weeks: regional differences in efficacy across eight European cities. Swiss Med Wkly. 2013;143:w13721 pubmed publisher..8 vs. -9.5%, P = 0.017). The LCD significantly improved anthropometric and body composition measurements in all cities participating in DiOGenes. ..
- Vassalou H, Stathopoulos E, Fiolitaki G, Koutsopoulos A, Voutsina A, Georgoulias V, et al. Excision-repair-cross-complement-1 protein as a prognostic factor in patients with advanced non-small cell lung cancer treated with platinum-based first-line chemotherapy. Lung Cancer. 2013;82:324-9 pubmed publisher..059), longer TTP (5.3 vs. 3.2 months; p = 0.051) and significantly longer OS (18.7 vs. 9.7 months; p = 0.009). ERCC1 could have a role in refining prognosis and thus individualizing chemotherapy for advanced stage NSCLC. ..
- Soulitzis N, Karyotis I, Delakas D, Spandidos D. Expression analysis of peptide growth factors VEGF, FGF2, TGFB1, EGF and IGF1 in prostate cancer and benign prostatic hyperplasia. Int J Oncol. 2006;29:305-14 pubmed..These results implicate VEGF, FGF2, TGFB1, EGF and IGF1 in the development of both PCa and BPH, rendering them potential targets for disease detection, monitoring and therapy. ..
- Papadogiannakis A, Xydakis D, Sfakianaki M, Kostakis K, Zouridakis A. An unusual cause of severe hyperkalemia in a dialysis patient. J Cardiovasc Med (Hagerstown). 2007;8:541-3 pubmed..After normal sinus rhythm was restored the patient presented with complete remission to the pre-event values of all haemolysis indices...
- Klimathianaki M, Vaporidi K, Georgopoulos D. Respiratory muscle dysfunction in COPD: from muscles to cell. Curr Drug Targets. 2011;12:478-88 pubmed
- Saloustros E, Perraki M, Apostolaki S, Kallergi G, Xyrafas A, Kalbakis K, et al. Cytokeratin-19 mRNA-positive circulating tumor cells during follow-up of patients with operable breast cancer: prognostic relevance for late relapse. Breast Cancer Res. 2011;13:R60 pubmed publisher..This prognostic evaluation may be useful when deciding on subsequent adjuvant systemic therapy. ..
- Kyrmizakis D, Lachanas V, Benakis A, Velegrakis G, Aslanides I. Bilateral nasolabial cysts associated with recurrent dacryocystitis. J Laryngol Otol. 2005;119:412-4 pubmed..There may be a correlation, due to embryological reasons, between the presence of nasolabial cysts and the presence of chronic dacryocystitis. Both can be corrected surgically, under the same anaesthesia, without visible scar formation. ..
- Paspatis G, Vardas E, Theodoropoulou A, Manolaraki M, Charoniti I, Papanikolaou N, et al. Complications of colonoscopy in a large public county hospital in Greece. A 10-year study. Dig Liver Dis. 2008;40:951-7 pubmed publisher..This historical cohort study, the first in Greece on this subject, shows that colonoscopy is a rather safe procedure and that the rate of complications in this study was low. ..
- Kourbeti I, Tsiodras S, Boumpas D. Spinal infections: evolving concepts. Curr Opin Rheumatol. 2008;20:471-9 pubmed publisher..Early surgical intervention is required in patients with neurological deficits. Further research should clarify the appropriate duration of antimicrobial treatment and the overall role of surgery. ..
- Papadakis A, Karantanas A, Papadokostakis G, Petinellis E, Damilakis J. Can abdominal multi-detector CT diagnose spinal osteoporosis?. Eur Radiol. 2009;19:172-6 pubmed publisher..828, p = 0.05). In conclusion, this study showed that in a group of female patients, QCT data derived from routine abdominal MDCT examinations discriminated osteoporotic from healthy subjects. ..
- Detorakis E, Arvanitaki V, Pallikaris I, Kymionis G, Tsilimbaris M. Applanation tonometry versus dynamic contour tonometry in eyes treated with latanoprost. J Glaucoma. 2010;19:194-8 pubmed publisher..The fact that dIOP was significantly higher in LG, compared with NLG and CG implies that latanoprost may affect the biomechanical properties of the ocular walls. ..