Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on humans in Ioánnina, Epirus, Greece
Locale: Ioánnina, Epirus, Greece
Publications290 found, 100 shown here
- Tsimihodimos V, Liberopoulos E, Elisaf M. Pleiotropic effects of fenofibrate. Curr Pharm Des. 2009;15:517-28 pubmed..This review considers the clinical pharmacology of fenofibrate and the current evidence on the pleiotropic effects of this fibric acid derivative. ..
- Xita N, Tsatsoulis A. Genetic variants of sex hormone-binding globulin and their biological consequences. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2010;316:60-5 pubmed publisher..However, the weight of evidence suggests that some common genetic variants of SHBG may influence SHBG levels and in part contribute to the phenotypic expression of human diseases. ..
- Tambakis C, Papadopoulos G, Sergentanis T, Lagos N, Arnaoutoglou E, Labropoulos N, et al. Cerebral oximetry and stump pressure as indicators for shunting during carotid endarterectomy: comparative evaluation. Vascular. 2011;19:187-94 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, cerebral oximety reflects sufficiently cerebral oxygenation during CEA compared with SP, providing a useful mean for cerebral monitoring. ..
- Tsilidis K, Rohrmann S, McGlynn K, Nyante S, López D, Bradwin G, et al. Association between endogenous sex steroid hormones and inflammatory biomarkers in US men. Andrology. 2013;1:919-28 pubmed publisher..03; p-trend, 0.04), but not with CRP. These cross-sectional findings are consistent with the hypothesis that higher androgen and lower oestrogen concentrations may have an anti-inflammatory effect in men. ..
- Giannopoulos G, Kossyvakis C, Angelidis C, Efremidis M, Panagopoulou V, Letsas K, et al. Amino-terminal B-natriuretic peptide levels and postablation recurrence in hypertensive patients with paroxysmal atrial fibrillation. Heart Rhythm. 2015;12:1470-5 pubmed publisher..However, it seems that adjustment for other covariates, including the number of AF episodes within the previous year, renders this association nonsignificant. ..
- Siomou E, Gkoutsias A, Serbis A, Kollios K, Chaliasos N, FrÃ©meaux Bacchi V. aHUS associated with C3 gene mutation: a case with numerous relapses and favorable 20-year outcome. Pediatr Nephrol. 2016;31:513-7 pubmed publisher..Ile1157Thr C3 mutation may be highly recurrent, but with recovered renal function. The prevalent p.Ile1157Thr C3 gene mutation has variable disease manifestations and both severe and milder renal phenotypes have been found. ..
- Bairaktari E, Hatzidimou K, Tzallas C, Vini M, Katsaraki A, Tselepis A, et al. Estimation of LDL cholesterol based on the Friedewald formula and on apo B levels. Clin Biochem. 2000;33:549-55 pubmed..26 mmol/L, although it underestimates LDL-C concentrations. Furthermore, this equation can be used in hypertriglyceridemic patients (TG >4.52 mmol/L) in whom the Friedewald equation is inaccurate. ..
- Galani V, Constantopoulos S, Manda Stachouli C, Frangou Lazaridis M, Mavridis A, Vassiliou M, et al. Additional proteins in BAL fluid of Metsovites environmentally exposed to asbestos: more evidence of "protection" against neoplasia?. Chest. 2002;121:273-8 pubmed
- Assimakopoulos D, Patrikakos G. The role of gastroesophageal reflux in the pathogenesis of laryngeal carcinoma. Am J Otolaryngol. 2002;23:351-7 pubmed
- Patsopoulos N, Ntzani E, Zintzaras E, Ioannidis J. CYP2D6 polymorphisms and the risk of tardive dyskinesia in schizophrenia: a meta-analysis. Pharmacogenet Genomics. 2005;15:151-8 pubmed..003). CYP2D6 loss of function alleles may predispose to tardive dyskinesia in patients with schizophrenia under treatment, but bias cannot be excluded. ..
- Ioannidis J, Trikalinos T, Zintzaras E. Extreme between-study homogeneity in meta-analyses could offer useful insights. J Clin Epidemiol. 2006;59:1023-32 pubmed..Extreme between-study homogeneity may provide useful insights about a meta-analysis and its constituent studies. ..
- Johnson E, Charchandi A, Babis G, Soucacos P. Apoptosis in osteoarthritis: morphology, mechanisms, and potential means for therapeutic intervention. J Surg Orthop Adv. 2008;17:147-52 pubmed..Although the role of apoptosis in OA is not yet clear, the mechanism of apoptosis may offer potentially useful therapeutic targets for the management of this insidious disease. ..
- Challa A, Evagelidou E, Cholevas V, Kiortsis D, Giapros V, Drougia A, et al. Growth factors and adipocytokines in prepubertal children born small for gestational age: relation to insulin resistance. Diabetes Care. 2009;32:714-9 pubmed publisher..55, P < 0.01) was found in the pooled SGA group. Intrauterine growth restriction appears to affect the IGF axis at prepubertal age, and its severity plays a role in insulin sensitivity. ..
- Korompilias A, Lykissas M, Soucacos P, Kostas I, Beris A. Vascularized free fibular bone graft in the management of congenital tibial pseudarthrosis. Microsurgery. 2009;29:346-52 pubmed publisher..This is only half of the problem; the other half is to maintain union. Long-term follow-up beyond skeletal maturity, if possible, is necessary to evaluate surgical results...
- Kitsos G, Zikou A, Bagli E, Kosta P, Argyropoulou M. Conventional MRI and magnetisation transfer imaging of the brain and optic pathway in primary open-angle glaucoma. Br J Radiol. 2009;82:896-900 pubmed publisher..46). POAG leads to optic nerve atrophy and degeneration of the optic pathway. The finding of an increase in the number of WMH suggests that cerebrovascular disease may play a role in the pathogenesis of POAG. ..
- Evangelou E, Maraganore D, Annesi G, Brighina L, Brice A, Elbaz A, et al. Non-replication of association for six polymorphisms from meta-analysis of genome-wide association studies of Parkinson's disease: large-scale collaborative study. Am J Med Genet B Neuropsychiatr Genet. 2010;153B:220-8 pubmed publisher..Much stronger signals of statistical significance in GWA platforms are needed to have substantial chances of replication. Specifically in PD genetics, this would require much larger GWA studies and perhaps novel analytical techniques. ..
- Siomou E, Giapros V, Fotopoulos A, Aasioti M, Papadopoulou F, Serbis A, et al. Implications of 99mTc-DMSA scintigraphy performed during urinary tract infection in neonates. Pediatrics. 2009;124:881-7 pubmed publisher..To rule out dilating VUR, voiding cystourethrography may be required. ..
- Sioka C, Kyritsis A, Fotopoulos A. Multiple sclerosis, osteoporosis, and vitamin D. J Neurol Sci. 2009;287:1-6 pubmed publisher..Future clinical trials should determine the upper limit of vitamin D intake in order to achieve therapeutic benefit in MS patients. ..
- Pentheroudakis G, Pavlidis N. Serous papillary peritoneal carcinoma: unknown primary tumour, ovarian cancer counterpart or a distinct entity? A systematic review. Crit Rev Oncol Hematol. 2010;75:27-42 pubmed publisher..Subgroup analyses of large ovarian cancer trials may shed light in this issue. ..
- Tsili A, Argyropoulou M, Giannakis D, Tsampalas S, Sofikitis N, Tsampoulas K. Diffusion-weighted MR imaging of normal and abnormal scrotum: preliminary results. Asian J Androl. 2012;14:649-54 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that DW MR imaging and ADC values may provide valuable information in the diagnosis and characterization of scrotal diseases...
- Christou G, Tellis K, Elisaf M, Tselepis A, Kiortsis D. High density lipoprotein is positively correlated with the changes in circulating total adiponectin and high molecular weight adiponectin during dietary and fenofibrate treatment. Hormones (Athens). 2012;11:178-88 pubmed..594, p=0.012). HDL is positively correlated with the changes in circulating adiponectin during dietary and fenofibrate treatment. ..
- Korantzopoulos P, Grekas G, Goudevenos J. Right-sided implantation of a cardiac resynchronization therapy defibrillator in a case of persistent left superior vena cava. Hellenic J Cardiol. 2013;54:224-6 pubmed..We also briefly discuss the technically challenging procedures applied in such cases. ..
- Kosmas I, Tatsioni A, Ioannidis J. Association of Leiden mutation in factor V gene with hypertension in pregnancy and pre-eclampsia: a meta-analysis. J Hypertens. 2003;21:1221-8 pubmed..74). Although modest effects of V Leiden mutation on the risk of hypertension in pregnancy cannot be excluded, the association observed in early and small studies may be typical of bias, in particular time-lag bias and publication bias. ..
- Pappas G, Akritidis N, Bosilkovski M, Tsianos E. Brucellosis. N Engl J Med. 2005;352:2325-36 pubmed
- Pappas G. The changing Brucella ecology: novel reservoirs, new threats. Int J Antimicrob Agents. 2010;36 Suppl 1:S8-11 pubmed publisher..This may allow the disease to be neglected no longer, or at least to be recognised as neglected. ..
- Ioannidis J. Genetic associations: false or true?. Trends Mol Med. 2003;9:135-8 pubmed..However, a sizeable proportion of identified genetic associations are probably true. Meta-analysis, a rigorous, comprehensive, quantitative synthesis of all the available data, might help us to separate the true from the false. ..
- Stefaniotou M, Aspiotis M, Pappa C, Eftaxias V, Psilas K. Timing of dislocated nuclear fragment management after cataract surgery. J Cataract Refract Surg. 2003;29:1985-8 pubmed
- Sotiriadis A, Vartholomatos G, Pavlou M, Kolaitis N, Dova L, Stefos T, et al. Combined thrombophilic mutations in women with unexplained recurrent miscarriage. Am J Reprod Immunol. 2007;57:133-41 pubmed..017). Combinations of the five thrombophilic mutations studied are an uncommon event with heterogeneous pattern and they do not significantly increase the risk for miscarriage. ..
- Zonios G, Dimou A. Optical properties of human melanocytic nevi in vivo. Photochem Photobiol. 2009;85:298-303 pubmed publisher..Finally, we provide an overview of the emerging picture of the melanin absorption properties in vivo among various skin types and also among various skin lesions such as melanocytic nevi and melanoma...
- Salanti G, Southam L, Altshuler D, Ardlie K, Barroso I, Boehnke M, et al. Underlying genetic models of inheritance in established type 2 diabetes associations. Am J Epidemiol. 2009;170:537-45 pubmed publisher..Information on the genetic model of robustly replicated association signals derived from genome-wide association studies may be useful for predictive modeling and for designing biologic and functional experiments. ..
- Markaki Y, Christogianni A, Politou A, Georgatos S. Phosphorylation of histone H3 at Thr3 is part of a combinatorial pattern that marks and configures mitotic chromatin. J Cell Sci. 2009;122:2809-19 pubmed publisher..However, PMM-negative cells do not exhibit major chromosomal defects, suggesting that the local structures formed by PMM chromatin may serve as a ;licensing system' that allows quick clearance through the metaphase-anaphase checkpoint. ..
- Filippatos T, Tsimihodimos V, Derdemezis C, Gazi I, Saougos V, Mikhailidis D, et al. Increased plasma visfatin concentration is a marker of an atherogenic metabolic profile. Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis. 2013;23:330-6 pubmed publisher..Our results support a role for visfatin in the detection of subjects with many metabolic abnormalities, which result in increased CVD risk. ..
- Georgiou G, Igglezou M, Sainis I, Vareli K, Batsis H, Briasoulis E, et al. Impact of breast cancer surgery on angiogenesis circulating biomarkers: a prospective longitudinal study. World J Surg Oncol. 2013;11:213 pubmed publisher..Moreover, mastectomy promotes a transient increase of VEGFA and a shift in the expression patterns of a broad panel of angiogenesis-related circulating gene transcripts. ..
- Christou G, Katsiki N, Kiortsis D. The Current Role of Liraglutide in the Pharmacotherapy of Obesity. Curr Vasc Pharmacol. 2016;14:201-7 pubmed..In the majority of patients liraglutide 3.0 mg was well tolerated. Liraglutide 3.0 mg appears to be an effective adjunct to a comprehensive lifestyle intervention to achieve weight reduction and treat obesity-related comorbidities. ..
- Bellou V, Belbasis L, Tzoulaki I, Evangelou E, Ioannidis J. Environmental risk factors and Parkinson's disease: An umbrella review of meta-analyses. Parkinsonism Relat Disord. 2016;23:1-9 pubmed publisher..Many environmental factors have substantial evidence of association with Parkinson's disease, but several, perhaps most, of them may reflect reverse causation, residual confounding, information bias, sponsor conflicts or other caveats. ..
- Roda G, Narula N, Pinotti R, Skamnelos A, Katsanos K, Ungaro R, et al. Systematic review with meta-analysis: proximal disease extension in limited ulcerative colitis. Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2017;45:1481-1492 pubmed publisher..Disease extent is dynamic and a proportion of patients presenting with limited disease progress to more extensive forms of disease over time...
- Ntais C, Polycarpou A, Ioannidis J. Meta-analysis of the association of the cathepsin D Ala224Val gene polymorphism with the risk of Alzheimer's disease: a HuGE gene-disease association review. Am J Epidemiol. 2004;159:527-36 pubmed..31, in T carriers and noncarriers, respectively). The meta-analysis shows that the CTSD polymorphism is not a major risk factor for Alzheimer's disease, although a small effect or an enhancement of the APOE*4 effect cannot be excluded. ..
- Pakos E, Tsekeris P, Goussia A. Desmoid tumours of the extremities and trunk: a review of the literature. Int Orthop. 2005;29:210-3 pubmed..Surgical resection is the main treatment modality in extremities and trunk, with the optional combination of radiotherapy and/or chemotherapy. However, these tumours have a high propensity for recurrent growth. ..
- Aspiotis M, Asproudis I, Stefaniotou M, Gorezis S, Psilas K. Artisan aphakic intraocular lens implantation in cases of subluxated crystalline lenses due to Marfan syndrome. J Refract Surg. 2006;22:99-101 pubmed..In seven eyes with a subluxated crystalline lens due to Marfan syndrome, implantation of an Artisan aphakic IOL improved visual acuity while preserving anterior chamber status. ..
- Zonios G, Dimou A, Carrara M, Marchesini R. In vivo optical properties of melanocytic skin lesions: common nevi, dysplastic nevi and malignant melanoma. Photochem Photobiol. 2010;86:236-40 pubmed publisher..These differences, which are in agreement with our previous observations on average reflectance spectra, may be potentially useful for the noninvasive characterization of pigmented skin lesions and the early diagnosis of melanoma...
- Agouridis A, Kostapanos M, Tsimihodimos V, Kostara C, Mikhailidis D, Bairaktari E, et al. Effect of rosuvastatin monotherapy or in combination with fenofibrate or ?-3 fatty acids on lipoprotein subfraction profile in patients with mixed dyslipidaemia and metabolic syndrome. Int J Clin Pract. 2012;66:843-53 pubmed publisher..The cholesterol of larger HDL subclasses was significantly increased by R and R?. All regimens increased mean LDL size; RF was the most effective. A differential effect of treatments was noted on the HDL subfraction profile. ..
- Dousias V, Vrekoussis T, Navrozoglou I, Paschopoulos M, Stefos T, Makrigiannakis A, et al. Hypoxia-induced factor-1? in endometrial carcinoma: a mini-review of current evidence. Histol Histopathol. 2012;27:1247-53 pubmed publisher..After a consensus has been made, properly powered studies may be able to clarify whether HIF-1? can act as a prognosticator in endometrial carcinoma. ..
- Gaitanis G, Velegraki A, Mayser P, Bassukas I. Skin diseases associated with Malassezia yeasts: facts and controversies. Clin Dermatol. 2013;31:455-463 pubmed publisher..Understanding the complexity of their interactions will highlight the controversies on the clinical presentation of Malassezia-associated diseases and unravel the complexity of skin homeostatic mechanisms. ..
- Xita N, Georgiou I, Chatzikyriakidou A, Vounatsou M, Papassotiriou G, Papassotiriou I, et al. Effect of adiponectin gene polymorphisms on circulating adiponectin and insulin resistance indexes in women with polycystic ovary syndrome. Clin Chem. 2005;51:416-23 pubmed..However, these genomic variants may influence production of adiponectin and the metabolic variables related to insulin resistance/metabolic syndrome in patients with PCOS. ..
- Thomas C, Vezyraki P, Kalfakakou V, Evangelou A. Vitamin C transiently arrests cancer cell cycle progression in S phase and G2/M boundary by modulating the kinetics of activation and the subcellular localization of Cdc25C phosphatase. J Cell Physiol. 2005;205:310-8 pubmed..In conclusion, it seems that vitamin C induces transient cell cycle arrest, at least in part, by delaying the accumulation and the activation of Cdc25C. ..
- Kyzas P, Stefanou D, Batistatou A, Agnantis N. Hypoxia-induced tumor angiogenic pathway in head and neck cancer: an in vivo study. Cancer Lett. 2005;225:297-304 pubmed..These findings support the hypothesis that tumor angiogenesis is close related, but not strictly dependent, on the hypoxic conditions of tumor's microenvironment. ..
- Briasoulis E, Fountzilas G, Bamias A, Dimopoulos M, Xiros N, Aravantinos G, et al. Multicenter phase-II trial of irinotecan plus oxaliplatin [IROX regimen] in patients with poor-prognosis cancer of unknown primary: a hellenic cooperative oncology group study. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol. 2008;62:277-84 pubmed..We evaluated the irinotecan-oxaliplatin combination (IROX regimen) in previously untreated patients with non-favorable subsets of unknown primary carcinomas...
- Kastorini C, Panagiotakos D. The obesity paradox: methodological considerations based on epidemiological and clinical evidence--new insights. Maturitas. 2012;72:220-4 pubmed publisher..unintentional weight loss and the possibility of a U-shape relationship between body mass index and survival will be examined. Furthermore, methodological considerations framing the obesity paradox will be presented and discussed. ..
- Filippatos T, Liamis G, Elisaf M. Ten pitfalls in the proper management of patients with hyponatremia. Postgrad Med. 2016;128:516-22 pubmed publisher..The knowledge of these common-in-clinical-practice pitfalls could assist clinicians in the proper management of patients with hyponatremia. ..
- Chatzikyriakidou A, Sofikitis N, Kalfakakou V, Siamopoulos K, Georgiou I. Evidence for association of SLC7A9 gene haplotypes with cystinuria manifestation in SLC7A9 mutation carriers. Urol Res. 2006;34:299-303 pubmed..Subsequently, the polymorphic background of the SLC7A9 gene probably affects the expression of the disorder in SLC7A9 mutation carriers and points to a revised genetic classification of cystinuric patients...
- Tsili A, Tsampoulas C, Giannakis D, Papastefanaki M, Tsiriopoulos I, Sofikitis N, et al. Case report. Tuberculous epididymo-orchitis: MRI findings. Br J Radiol. 2008;81:e166-9 pubmed publisher..Urine cultures obtained from a percutaneous left nephrostomy were positive for tuberculous bacilli, and the patient was placed on anti-tuberculous treatment...
- Ioannidis J, Thomas G, Daly M. Validating, augmenting and refining genome-wide association signals. Nat Rev Genet. 2009;10:318-29 pubmed publisher..Even in cases for which replication proves that an effect exists, confident localization of the causal variant often remains elusive. ..
- Mitselou A, Karapiperides D, Nesseris I, Vougiouklakis T, Agnantis N. Altered expression of cell cycle and apoptotic proteins in human liver pathologies. Anticancer Res. 2010;30:4493-501 pubmed..We demonstrated in our study the expression of these proteins at different levels in liver pathologies. These findings have implications for understanding the evolution from liver inflammation to cirrhosis and associated carcinogenesis. ..
- Giapros V, Schiza V, Challa A, Cholevas V, Theocharis P, Kolios G, et al. Vitamin D and parathormone levels of late-preterm formula fed infants during the first year of life. Eur J Clin Nutr. 2012;66:224-30 pubmed publisher..Late-preterm, formula fed infants may have suboptimal vitamin D levels and elevated PTH, especially, during the first 3 months. Those born SGA may have lower vitamin D levels up to the end of the first year of life. ..
- Liberopoulos E, Tolis C, Bai M, Efremidis S, Pavlidis N, Elisaf M. Successful treatment of human immunodeficiency virus-related Castleman's disease: a case report and literature review. Oncology. 2003;65:182-6 pubmed..Early administration of cyclophosphamide, doxorubicin, vincristine and prednisone resulted in prolonged clinical recovery. The relevant literature is also reviewed. ..
- Kosmas I, Tatsioni A, Ioannidis J. Association of C677T polymorphism in the methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase gene with hypertension in pregnancy and pre-eclampsia: a meta-analysis. J Hypertens. 2004;22:1655-62 pubmed..While bias cannot be excluded, the meta-analysis suggests that the T allele may increase the risk of severe diastolic hypertension during pregnancy. ..
- Kalambokis G, Economou M, Fotopoulos A, Bokharhii J, Katsaraki A, Tsianos E. Renal effects of treatment with diuretics, octreotide or both, in non-azotemic cirrhotic patients with ascites. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2005;20:1623-9 pubmed..On the contrary, adding it to diuretic treatment increases glomerular filtration rate and sodium and water excretion, mainly through the suppression of an activated renin-aldosterone axis. ..
- Johnson E, Vekris M, Zoubos A, Soucacos P. Neuroanatomy of the brachial plexus: the missing link in the continuity between the central and peripheral nervous systems. Microsurgery. 2006;26:218-29 pubmed..The goal here is to better understand "what the brain sees" after nerve injury and repair. ..
- Bai M, Tsanou E, Skyrlas A, Sainis I, Agnantis N, Kanavaros P. Alterations of the p53, Rb and p27 tumor suppressor pathways in diffuse large B-cell lymphomas. Anticancer Res. 2007;27:2345-52 pubmed..This might explain, at least partially, the association between concurrent aberrations of the p53, Rb and p27 pathways and aggressive clinical behavior in DLBCL. ..
- Kalantaridou S, Zoumakis E, Weil S, Lavasidis L, Chrousos G, Makrigiannakis A. Reproductive corticotropin releasing hormone, implantation, and fetal immunotolerance. Crit Rev Clin Lab Sci. 2007;44:461-81 pubmed..CRH antagonists have been used experimentally to elucidate the role of CRH in blastocyst implantation and invasion, early fetal immunotolerance, and premature labor. ..
- Kyzas P, Denaxa Kyza D, Ioannidis J. Almost all articles on cancer prognostic markers report statistically significant results. Eur J Cancer. 2007;43:2559-79 pubmed..Under strong reporting bias, statistical significance loses its discriminating ability for the importance of prognostic markers. ..
- Trikalinos N, Evangelou E, Ioannidis J. Falsified papers in high-impact journals were slow to retract and indistinguishable from nonfraudulent papers. J Clin Epidemiol. 2008;61:464-70 pubmed publisher..049). Retractions due to falsification can take a long time, especially when senior researchers are implicated. Fraudulent articles are not obviously distinguishable from nonfraudulent ones. ..
- Hyphantis T, Antoniou K, Tomenson B, Tsianos E, Mavreas V, Creed F. Is the personality characteristic "impulsive sensation seeking" correlated to differences in current smoking between ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease patients?. Gen Hosp Psychiatry. 2010;32:57-65 pubmed publisher..ImpSS is associated with current smoking and nicotine dependence in IBD, and these associations are stronger in CD. These findings might be relevant to more effective interventions aiming at smoking cessation in CD patients. ..
- Alexiou G, Lazari D, Markopoulos G, Vartholomatos E, Hodaj E, Galani V, et al. Moschamine inhibits proliferation of glioblastoma cells via cell cycle arrest and apoptosis. Tumour Biol. 2017;39:1010428317705744 pubmed publisher..The zebrafish mortality on the fifth post-fertilization day was zero even for 1 mM of moschamine concentration. The treatment of glioblastoma cell lines with moschamine may represent a novel strategy for targeting glioblastoma. ..
- Xita N, Georgiou I, Tsatsoulis A. The genetic basis of polycystic ovary syndrome. Eur J Endocrinol. 2002;147:717-25 pubmed..PCOS appears, however, to be an oligogenic disorder and more studies are necessary to define the genetic basis. ..
- Dialynas G, Makatsori D, Kourmouli N, Theodoropoulos P, McLean K, Terjung S, et al. Methylation-independent binding to histone H3 and cell cycle-dependent incorporation of HP1beta into heterochromatin. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:14350-60 pubmed..The data amassed challenge the dogma that me3K9H3 is necessary and sufficient for HP1 binding and unveil a new mode of HP1-chromatin interactions. ..
- Lathyris D, Trikalinos T, Ioannidis J. Evidence from crossover trials: empirical evaluation and comparison against parallel arm trials. Int J Epidemiol. 2007;36:422-30 pubmed..The results of crossover trials tend to agree with those of parallel arm trials, although there was a trend for more conservative treatment effect estimates in parallel arm trials. ..
- Valsamaki V, Sakkas V, Albanis T. Determination of the pesticides considered as endocrine-disrupting compounds (EDCs) by solid-phase extraction followed by gas chromatography with electron capture and mass spectrometric detection. J Sep Sci. 2007;30:1936-46 pubmed..Both methods were applied to real water and sediment samples and the presence of the tested compounds was investigated. ..
- Dialynas G, Terjung S, Brown J, Aucott R, Baron Luhr B, Singh P, et al. Plasticity of HP1 proteins in mammalian cells. J Cell Sci. 2007;120:3415-24 pubmed..These data provide evidence for HP1 plasticity under shifting microenvironmental conditions and offer a new conceptual framework for understanding chromatin dynamics at the molecular level. ..
- Tsiouris S, Sioka C, Marinarou A, Al Bokharhli J, Sionti I, Fotopoulos A. Vesicoureteric reflux deterioration in monozygotic twins. Indian J Pediatr. 2008;75:285-7 pubmed..Heredity issues, the impact of age and dysfunctional voiding in the clinical course, and the contribution of nuclear medicine in VUR management are discussed. ..
- Pentheroudakis G, Lazaridis G, Pavlidis N. Axillary nodal metastases from carcinoma of unknown primary (CUPAx): a systematic review of published evidence. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2010;119:1-11 pubmed publisher..CUPAx is associated with similar presentation, biology and outcome to resected node-positive overt breast cancer and should be treated accordingly. ..
- Evangelou E, Valdes A, Kerkhof H, Styrkarsdottir U, Zhu Y, Meulenbelt I, et al. Meta-analysis of genome-wide association studies confirms a susceptibility locus for knee osteoarthritis on chromosome 7q22. Ann Rheum Dis. 2011;70:349-55 pubmed publisher..Gene expression analyses of the (six) genes in primary cells derived from different joint tissues confirmed expression of all the genes in the joint environment. ..
- Andrikoula M, Sertedaki A, Andrikoula S, Dacou Voutetakis C, Tsatsoulis A. PROP-1 gene mutations in a 63-year-old woman presenting with osteoporosis and hyperlipidaemia. Hormones (Athens). 2013;12:128-34 pubmed
- Katsanos A, Patsouras D, Tsivgoulis G, Kosmidou M, Katsanos K, Kyritsis A, et al. The value of transesophageal echocardiography in the investigation and management of cryptogenic cerebral ischemia: a single-center experience. Neurol Sci. 2016;37:629-32 pubmed publisher..TEE examination should be included in the diagnostic work-up of all CS patients, irrespective of age and gender status, since it can reveal potential sources of embolism and has a significant impact for secondary stroke prevention. ..
- Akrivis C, Varras M, Demou A, Bellou A, Stefanaki S, Antoniou N. Prenatal diagnosis of congenital cystic adenomatoid lung malformation: case report and review of the literature. Clin Exp Obstet Gynecol. 2003;30:259-62 pubmed..No other congenital anomalies were found. In conclusion, in this study we describe the ultrasonographic and pathologic findings of an unusual case of congenital cystic adenomatoid malformation of the fetal lung. ..
- Benetatos L, Dasoula A, Hatzimichael E, Syed N, Voukelatou M, Dranitsaris G, et al. Polo-like kinase 2 (SNK/PLK2) is a novel epigenetically regulated gene in acute myeloid leukemia and myelodysplastic syndromes: genetic and epigenetic interactions. Ann Hematol. 2011;90:1037-45 pubmed publisher..As such, SNK/PLK2 could represent a potential pathogenetic factor, although additional studies are necessary to verify its exact role in disease pathogenesis...
- Tsanou E, Ioachim E, Stefaniotou M, Gorezis S, Charalabopoulos K, Bagli H, et al. Immunohistochemical study of angiogenesis and proliferative activity in epiretinal membranes. Int J Clin Pract. 2005;59:1157-61 pubmed..Our study confirms the presence of vascularisation in PDR membranes, as well as the presence of VEGF even in avascular PVR membranes, suggesting that immunoreactivity for VEGF may not be accompanied by angiogenesis. ..
- Liamis G, Milionis H, Elisaf M. A review of drug-induced hypocalcemia. J Bone Miner Metab. 2009;27:635-42 pubmed publisher..Herein, we review pertinent clinical information on the incidence of hypocalcemia associated with specific drug treatment and discuss the underlying pathophysiological mechanisms. ..
- Pentheroudakis G, Stoyianni A. Incorporation of targeted agents in the management of patients with advanced gastric cancer. Curr Med Chem. 2011;18:1629-39 pubmed..To date, only the addition of trastuzumab, an anti-HER2 monoclonal antibody combined with chemotherapy has yielded a clinically meaningful survival improvement in patients with advanced gastric cancer overexpressing HER2. ..
- Assimakopoulos D, Patrikakos G, Fotika C, Elisaf M. Benign migratory glossitis or geographic tongue: an enigmatic oral lesion. Am J Med. 2002;113:751-5 pubmed..The disorder is characterized by exacerbations and remissions. In most cases, patients do not require treatment other than reassurance about the benign nature of the disorder. ..
- Ioannidis J. Measuring co-authorship and networking-adjusted scientific impact. PLoS ONE. 2008;3:e2778 pubmed publisher..Cautious adoption of adjustments for co-authorship and networking in scientific appraisals may offer incentives for more accountable co-authorship behaviour in published articles. ..
- Kalambokis G, Mouzaki A, Rodi M, Pappas K, Fotopoulos A, Xourgia X, et al. Rifaximin improves systemic hemodynamics and renal function in patients with alcohol-related cirrhosis and ascites. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2012;10:815-8 pubmed publisher..Intestinal decontamination with rifaximin improved systemic hemodynamics and renal function in patients with advanced cirrhosis...
- Kovala Demertzi D, Demertzis M, Varagi V, Papageorgiou A, Mourelatos D, Mioglou E, et al. Antineoplastic and cytogenetic effects of platinum(II) and palladium(II) complexes with pyridine-2-carboxyaldehyde-thiosemicarbazone. Chemotherapy. 1998;44:421-6 pubmed..e. [Pd(PyTsc)Cl], HPyTsc, [Pd(HPyTsc)2]Cl2, and [Pt(PyTsc)Cl], show marginal cytogenetic and antineoplastic effects. ..
- Mitsionis G, Manoudis G, Lykissas M, Sionti I, Motsis E, Georgoulis A, et al. Pyomyositis in children: early diagnosis and treatment. J Pediatr Surg. 2009;44:2173-8 pubmed publisher..Having a high sensitivity to reactive inflammatory changes, MRI is a valuable tool in the armamentarium of the clinician in early diagnosis of pyomyositis. ..