Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on animals in Ioánnina, Epirus, Greece
Locale: Ioánnina, Epirus, Greece
Publications115 found, 100 shown here
- Kyrou I, Papakostas J, Ioachim E, Skoufi U, Koulouras V, Arnaoutoglou E, et al. Spinal cord early ischemic preconditioning activates the stabilized fraction of ?-catenin after thoracoabdominal aortic occlusion in pigs. Ann Vasc Surg. 2013;27:480-6 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest a significant role of ?-catenin in early IPC protection of spinal cord after thoracoabdominal occlusion, as IPC seems to trigger the activation of the ?-catenin stabilized fraction and, thus, its survival pathway. ..
- Falidas E, Gourgiotis S, Ivopoulou O, Koutsogiannis I, Oikonomou C, Vlachos K, et al. Human subcutaneous dirofilariasis caused by Dirofilaria immitis in a Greek adult. J Infect Public Health. 2016;9:102-4 pubmed publisher..immitis. The parasitic infection was detected using ultrasonography. The infection was confirmed by a polymerase chain reaction-based method and was attributed to D. immitis. ..
- Konitsiotis S, Tsironis C, Kiortsis D, Evangelou A. Effects of N-methyl-D-aspartate receptor antagonism on neuroleptic-induced orofacial dyskinesias. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2006;185:369-77 pubmed..Furthermore, antagonists showing selectivity for NMDA receptors containing the NR2B subunit may be particularly efficacious as novel therapeutic agents for the treatment of tardive dyskinesia and deserve further testing. ..
- Tsoukatos D, Brocheriou I, Moussis V, Panopoulou C, Christofidou E, Koussissis S, et al. Platelet-activating factor acetylhydrolase and transacetylase activities in human aorta and mammary artery. J Lipid Res. 2008;49:2240-9 pubmed publisher..In atherogenic aortas, an imbalance between PAF-AH and transacetylase activity, as well as lyso-PAF accumulation, may lead to unregulated PAF formation and to progression of atherosclerosis. ..
- Agouridis A, Filippatos T, Derdemezis C, Mikhailidis D, Elisaf M. Combination of fenofibrate with non-statin drug regimens. Curr Pharm Des. 2010;16:3401-16 pubmed..These combinations improve several metabolic parameters, but more trials should be carried out to reach more robust conclusions about their effects on cardiovascular events. ..
- Agelaki M, Pantos C, Korantzopoulos P, Tsalikakis D, Baltogiannis G, Fotopoulos A, et al. Comparative antiarrhythmic efficacy of amiodarone and dronedarone during acute myocardial infarction in rats. Eur J Pharmacol. 2007;564:150-7 pubmed..However, dronedarone increases bradyarrhythmic mortality possibly secondary to its negative inotropic effects. ..
- Lykissas M, Korompilias A, Vekris M, Mitsionis G, Sakellariou E, Beris A. The role of erythropoietin in central and peripheral nerve injury. Clin Neurol Neurosurg. 2007;109:639-44 pubmed..Epo's administration contributes to the recovery of mechanical allodynia and may be effective in peripheral nerve regeneration after neurorrhaphy. ..
- Tsironis C, Marselos M, Evangelou A, Konitsiotis S. The course of dyskinesia induction by different treatment schedules of levodopa in Parkinsonian rats: is continuous dopaminergic stimulation necessary?. Mov Disord. 2008;23:950-957 pubmed publisher..The benefits of this strategy offered protection against severe dyskinesia even if subsequently subjects were switched to high dose levodopa. ..
- Polissidis A, Chouliara O, Galanopoulos A, Rentesi G, Dosi M, Hyphantis T, et al. Individual differences in the effects of cannabinoids on motor activity, dopaminergic activity and DARPP-32 phosphorylation in distinct regions of the brain. Int J Neuropsychopharmacol. 2010;13:1175-91 pubmed publisher
- Noutsopoulos D, Vartholomatos G, Kolaitis N, Tzavaras T. SV40 large T antigen up-regulates the retrotransposition frequency of viral-like 30 elements. J Mol Biol. 2006;361:450-61 pubmed..Our results show a direct correlation between SV40-cell transformation and VL30 retrotransposition and provide for the first time strong evidence that SV40 large T antigen up-regulates the retrotransposition of VL30 elements. ..
- Alexiou G, Lazari D, Markopoulos G, Vartholomatos E, Hodaj E, Galani V, et al. Moschamine inhibits proliferation of glioblastoma cells via cell cycle arrest and apoptosis. Tumour Biol. 2017;39:1010428317705744 pubmed publisher..The zebrafish mortality on the fifth post-fertilization day was zero even for 1 mM of moschamine concentration. The treatment of glioblastoma cell lines with moschamine may represent a novel strategy for targeting glioblastoma. ..
- Iordanou P, Lykoudis E, Athanasiou A, Koniaris E, Papaevangelou M, Fatsea T, et al. Effect of visible and infrared polarized light on the healing process of full-thickness skin wounds: an experimental study. Photomed Laser Surg. 2009;27:261-7 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, this specific fraction of polarized light seems to have beneficial effects on wound healing, leading to faster epithelialization and qualitatively better wound healing. ..
- Thanou P, Tsoukatos D. Non-enzymatic platelet-activating factor formation by acetylated proteins. FEBS Lett. 2004;573:11-4 pubmed..Chemical PAF formation by acetylated proteins, involved in lipid metabolism and transport, could lead to complication of inflammatory and allergic events. ..
- Noutsopoulos D, Markopoulos G, Koliou M, Dova L, Vartholomatos G, Kolettas E, et al. Vanadium induces VL30 retrotransposition at an unusually high level: a possible carcinogenesis mechanism. J Mol Biol. 2007;374:80-90 pubmed..We propose that VOSO(4)-induced VL30 retrotransposition through H(2)O(2) generation may be an alternative mutagenic, DNA-DSBs independent, mechanism leading to carcinogenesis. ..
- Tsamis K, Mytilinaios D, Njau S, Baloyannis S. Glutamate receptors in human caudate nucleus in normal aging and Alzheimer's disease. Curr Alzheimer Res. 2013;10:469-75 pubmed
- Mexis S, Chouliara E, Kontominas M. Combined effect of an oxygen absorber and oregano essential oil on shelf life extension of rainbow trout fillets stored at 4 degrees C. Food Microbiol. 2009;26:598-605 pubmed publisher..Sensory shelf life was 4 days for the control samples, 7-8 days for samples containing oregano oil, 13-14 days for samples containing the O2 absorber and 17 days for samples containing the O2 absorber plus oregano oil. ..
- Kovala Demertzi D, Demertzis M, Varagi V, Papageorgiou A, Mourelatos D, Mioglou E, et al. Antineoplastic and cytogenetic effects of platinum(II) and palladium(II) complexes with pyridine-2-carboxyaldehyde-thiosemicarbazone. Chemotherapy. 1998;44:421-6 pubmed..e. [Pd(PyTsc)Cl], HPyTsc, [Pd(HPyTsc)2]Cl2, and [Pt(PyTsc)Cl], show marginal cytogenetic and antineoplastic effects. ..
- Bontioti E, Kanje M, Dahlin L. Regeneration and functional recovery in the upper extremity of rats after various types of nerve injuries. J Peripher Nerv Syst. 2003;8:159-68 pubmed..The upper extremity of rats might be useful to evaluate the effects of new repair methods after nerve injuries using functional evaluation with pawprints as a simple and accurate method. ..
- Papakostas J, Matsagas M, Toumpoulis I, Malamou Mitsi V, Pappa L, Gkrepi C, et al. Evolution of spinal cord injury in a porcine model of prolonged aortic occlusion. J Surg Res. 2006;133:159-66 pubmed..Using TUNEL straining we found no evidence of neuronal apoptosis at any time point of reperfusion. ..
- Sofikitis N, Giotitsas N, Tsounapi P, Baltogiannis D, Giannakis D, Pardalidis N. Hormonal regulation of spermatogenesis and spermiogenesis. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol. 2008;109:323-30 pubmed publisher..This review article provides an overview of the literature concerning the hormonal pathways regulating spermatogenesis. ..
- Xita N, Tsatsoulis A. Genetic variants of sex hormone-binding globulin and their biological consequences. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2010;316:60-5 pubmed publisher..However, the weight of evidence suggests that some common genetic variants of SHBG may influence SHBG levels and in part contribute to the phenotypic expression of human diseases. ..
- Papadimitriou T, Kagalou I, Stalikas C, Pilidis G, Leonardos I. Assessment of microcystin distribution and biomagnification in tissues of aquatic food web compartments from a shallow lake and evaluation of potential risks to public health. Ecotoxicology. 2012;21:1155-66 pubmed publisher..In addition, it is likely to be unsafe to consume aquatic species harvested in Lake Pamvotis due to the high-concentrations of accumulated microcystins. ..
- Zafeiridou G, Spilioti M, Kagiava A, Krikonis K, Kosmidis E, Karlovasitou A, et al. Differential effects of lacosamide, phenytoin and topiramate on peripheral nerve excitability: An ex vivo electrophysiological study. Neurotoxicology. 2016;52:57-63 pubmed publisher..Possible underlying mechanisms and the clinical implications of these findings are discussed. ..
- Hadjipanteli A, Kourkoumelis N, Fromme P, Huang J, Speller R. Evaluation of the 3D spatial distribution of the Calcium/Phosphorus ratio in bone using computed-tomography dual-energy analysis. Phys Med. 2016;32:162-8 pubmed publisher..With quantitative imaging becoming an increasingly important advancement in medical imaging, CT-DEA for bone decomposition could potentially have several applications. ..
- Kotoulas O, Kalamidas S, Kondomerkos D. Glycogen autophagy. Microsc Res Tech. 2004;64:10-20 pubmed..These two pathways may converge on the same target to regulate glycogen autophagy. ..
- Sioka C, Kyritsis A, Fotopoulos A. Multiple sclerosis, osteoporosis, and vitamin D. J Neurol Sci. 2009;287:1-6 pubmed publisher..Future clinical trials should determine the upper limit of vitamin D intake in order to achieve therapeutic benefit in MS patients. ..
- Frangos L, Pyrgotou N, Giatrakou V, Ntzimani A, Savvaidis I. Combined effects of salting, oregano oil and vacuum-packaging on the shelf-life of refrigerated trout fillets. Food Microbiol. 2010;27:115-21 pubmed publisher..2% v/wt) under VP conditions (treatment VP2) resulted in a significant shelf-life extension of trout fillets (11-12 days) according to sensory data, as compared to the control sample, kept under aerobic conditions. ..
- Pappas G. The changing Brucella ecology: novel reservoirs, new threats. Int J Antimicrob Agents. 2010;36 Suppl 1:S8-11 pubmed publisher..This may allow the disease to be neglected no longer, or at least to be recognised as neglected. ..
- Baltogiannis G, Tsalikakis D, Mitsi A, Hatzistergos K, Elaiopoulos D, Fotiadis D, et al. Endothelin receptor--a blockade decreases ventricular arrhythmias after myocardial infarction in rats. Cardiovasc Res. 2005;67:647-54 pubmed..Acute ETA blockade reduces the incidence of VT/V F during the first 24-h post-MI in the rat, through a decrease in the dispersion of repolarization. ..
- Christou L. The global burden of bacterial and viral zoonotic infections. Clin Microbiol Infect. 2011;17:326-30 pubmed publisher..The majority of bacterial and viral zoonotic infections attract disproportionately low scientific and public health interest. Understanding their burden may allow for improved surveillance and prevention measures. ..
- Emfietzoglou D, Kostarelos K, Sgouros G. An analytic dosimetry study for the use of radionuclide-liposome conjugates in internal radiotherapy. J Nucl Med. 2001;42:499-504 pubmed..Although much further work must be undertaken before any clinical application is considered, these results suggest that radionuclide targeting using liposomes is feasible and may have the advantage of reduced red marrow absorbed dose. ..
- Sofikitis N, Pappas E, Kawatani A, Baltogiannis D, Loutradis D, Kanakas N, et al. Efforts to create an artificial testis: culture systems of male germ cells under biochemical conditions resembling the seminiferous tubular biochemical environment. Hum Reprod Update. 2005;11:229-59 pubmed..Finally, the role of in vitro cultures of immature diploid germ cells in the therapeutic management of men negative for haploid cells in their testes and the subsequent potential genetic and epigenetic risks are discussed. ..
- Karamanakos P, Pappas P, Boumba V, Thomas C, Malamas M, Vougiouklakis T, et al. Pharmaceutical agents known to produce disulfiram-like reaction: effects on hepatic ethanol metabolism and brain monoamines. Int J Toxicol. 2007;26:423-32 pubmed
- Kapawa A, Giannakis D, Tsoukanelis K, Kanakas N, Baltogiannis D, Agapitos E, et al. Effects of paternal cigarette smoking on testicular function, sperm fertilizing capacity, embryonic development, and blastocyst capacity for implantation in rats. Andrologia. 2004;36:57-68 pubmed..In addition paternal cigarette smoke exposure affects the embryonic ability for implantation. ..
- Matsagas M, Bali C, Arnaoutoglou E, Papakostas J, Nassis C, Papadopoulos G, et al. Carotid endarterectomy with bovine pericardium patch angioplasty: mid-term results. Ann Vasc Surg. 2006;20:614-9 pubmed..Patch angioplasty of the carotid artery using BP showed unwittingly early and mid-term surgical outcome. Our results demonstrate the BP to be a suitable patch material for routine use in carotid surgery. ..
- Zonios G, Dimou A. Melanin optical properties provide evidence for chemical and structural disorder in vivo. Opt Express. 2008;16:8263-8 pubmed
- Petraki M, Mantani P, Tselepis A. Recent advances on the antiatherogenic effects of HDL-derived proteins and mimetic peptides. Curr Pharm Des. 2009;15:3146-66 pubmed
- Oikonomidis D, Tsalikakis D, Baltogiannis G, Tzallas A, Xourgia X, Agelaki M, et al. Endothelin-B receptors and ventricular arrhythmogenesis in the rat model of acute myocardial infarction. Basic Res Cardiol. 2010;105:235-45 pubmed publisher..After beta-blockade, VT/VF episodes and mortality were similar in the two groups. The ETB-receptor decreases sympathetic activation and arrhythmogenesis during the early phase of MI, but these effects diminish during evolving MI. ..
- Kovala Demertzi D, Staninska M, Garcia Santos I, Castineiras A, Demertzis M. Synthesis, crystal structures and spectroscopy of meclofenamic acid and its metal complexes with manganese(II), copper(II), zinc(II) and cadmium(II). Antiproliferative and superoxide dismutase activity. J Inorg Biochem. 2011;105:1187-95 pubmed publisher..The superoxide dismutase activity was measured by the Fridovich test which showed that complex [Cu(meclo)(2)(H(2)O)(2)] is a good superoxide scavenger. ..
- Kolettas E, Evangelou A, Gonos E. v-FBR-fos oncogene fails to rescue mammalian cells from growth arrest but affects the responses of human fibroblasts to heparin. Anticancer Res. 2001;21:435-44 pubmed..These data show that v-FBR-fos is not sufficient to rescue mammalian cells from senescence but it can affect the responses of human fibroblasts to heparin suggesting a role of fos in cell proliferation. ..
- Ioannides K, Tzialla C, Papachristodoulou C, Papanikolaou C, Apostolopoulos C. Stakeholder involvement in nuclear crisis management in Greece. J Environ Radioact. 2005;83:347-57 pubmed..Their views are synoptically presented along with the major conclusions from the stakeholders meetings regarding nuclear crisis management. ..
- Lykissas M, Batistatou A, Charalabopoulos K, Beris A. The role of neurotrophins in axonal growth, guidance, and regeneration. Curr Neurovasc Res. 2007;4:143-51 pubmed..Based on these properties, these molecules may be used as therapeutic agents for treating degenerative diseases and traumatic injuries of both the central and peripheral nervous system. ..
- Konstandi M, Segos D, Galanopoulou P, Theocharis S, Zarros A, Lang M, et al. Effects of choline-deprivation on paracetamol- or phenobarbital-induced rat liver metabolic response. J Appl Toxicol. 2009;29:101-9 pubmed publisher..Thus, CD may modify drug effectiveness and toxicity, as well as drug-drug interactions, particularly those related to ACET and PB. ..
- Panopoulou E, Gillooly D, Wrana J, Zerial M, Stenmark H, Murphy C, et al. Early endosomal regulation of Smad-dependent signaling in endothelial cells. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:18046-52 pubmed..The results suggest an important interconnection between early endosomal dynamics and TGFbeta/activin signal transduction pathways. ..
- Kondomerkos D, Kalamidas S, Kotoulas O. In vitro effects of hormones and autacoids on the hydrogen peroxide production and the morphology of endotoxin-activated rat peritoneal macrophages. Histol Histopathol. 2003;18:55-65 pubmed publisher..Agents postulated to act via phospholipase C, e.g. serotonin, augment the production of hydrogen peroxide. We assume that this form of modulation may represent a regulatory mechanism of macrophage activation. ..
- Papanikolaou A, Papafotika A, Murphy C, Papamarcaki T, Tsolas O, Drab M, et al. Cholesterol-dependent lipid assemblies regulate the activity of the ecto-nucleotidase CD39. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:26406-14 pubmed..These data suggest a functional link between the localization of CD39 in cholesterol-rich domains of the membrane and its role in thromboregulation. ..
- Dialynas G, Makatsori D, Kourmouli N, Theodoropoulos P, McLean K, Terjung S, et al. Methylation-independent binding to histone H3 and cell cycle-dependent incorporation of HP1beta into heterochromatin. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:14350-60 pubmed..The data amassed challenge the dogma that me3K9H3 is necessary and sufficient for HP1 binding and unveil a new mode of HP1-chromatin interactions. ..
- Chouliara E, Karatapanis A, Savvaidis I, Kontominas M. Combined effect of oregano essential oil and modified atmosphere packaging on shelf-life extension of fresh chicken breast meat, stored at 4 degrees C. Food Microbiol. 2007;24:607-17 pubmed..3-4 days for samples containing 0.1% oregano oil, 2-3 days for samples under MAP and 5-6 days for samples under MAP containing 0.1% of oregano oil was attained. Thus oregano oil and MAP exhibited an additive preservation effect. ..
- Patsias A, Badeka A, Savvaidis I, Kontominas M. Combined effect of freeze chilling and MAP on quality parameters of raw chicken fillets. Food Microbiol. 2008;25:575-81 pubmed publisher..MAP in combination with freeze chilling had a negligible effect on product quality...
- Tsanou E, Peschos D, Batistatou A, Charalabopoulos A, Charalabopoulos K. The E-cadherin adhesion molecule and colorectal cancer. A global literature approach. Anticancer Res. 2008;28:3815-26 pubmed..This should aid the development of novel strategies for both prevention and treatment of cancer. ..
- Kostaki M, Giatrakou V, Savvaidis I, Kontominas M. Combined effect of MAP and thyme essential oil on the microbiological, chemical and sensory attributes of organically aquacultured sea bass (Dicentrarchus labrax) fillets. Food Microbiol. 2009;26:475-82 pubmed publisher..As regards sensory evaluation, the presence of thyme oil proved to improve the sensory quality of sea bass fillets when used in combination with MAP2, providing a shelf life of 17 days as compared to 6 days of the control samples...
- Kalamidas S, Kondomerkos D. The administration of nonmetabolizable glucose analogues fails to suppress the development of glycogen autophagy in newborn rat hepatocytes. Microsc Res Tech. 2010;73:1009-14 pubmed publisher..The results of this and our previous studies suggest that glucose must be metabolized beyond its phosphorylation step to inhibit acid glucosidase activity. ..
- Giatrakou V, Ntzimani A, Savvaidis I. Combined chitosan-thyme treatments with modified atmosphere packaging on a ready-to-cook poultry product. J Food Prot. 2010;73:663-9 pubmed
- Karabagias I, Badeka A, Kontominas M. Shelf life extension of lamb meat using thyme or oregano essential oils and modified atmosphere packaging. Meat Sci. 2011;88:109-16 pubmed publisher..1% of TEO and 21-22 days for MAP packaged samples containing 0.1% TEO. ..
- Sideris D, Toumanidis S, Kostopoulos K, Pittaras A, Spyropoulos G, Kostis E, et al. Effect of acute ventricular pressure changes on QRS duration. J Electrocardiol. 1994;27:199-202 pubmed..An acute ventricular pressure elevation impairs the ventricular conduction, which may contribute to ventricular pressure-related arrhythmogenicity...
- Karetsou Z, Kretsovali A, Murphy C, Tsolas O, Papamarcaki T. Prothymosin alpha interacts with the CREB-binding protein and potentiates transcription. EMBO Rep. 2002;3:361-6 pubmed..Furthermore, overexpression of ProTalpha enhances the transactivation potential of CBP. These findings reveal a new function for ProTalpha in transcription activation, probably through CBP-mediated recruitment to different promoters. ..
- Boumba V, Seferiadis K. Rabbit anti-HMG-17 antibodies recognize similar epitopes on the HMG-17 molecule as lupus autoantibodies. Relation with histone H1 defined epitopes. J Pept Sci. 2002;8:683-94 pubmed
- Konstandi M, Lang M, Kostakis D, Johnson E, Marselos M. Predominant role of peripheral catecholamines in the stress-induced modulation of CYP1A2 inducibility by benzo(alpha)pyrene. Basic Clin Pharmacol Toxicol. 2008;102:35-44 pubmed
- Nakou E, Liberopoulos E, Milionis H, Elisaf M. The role of C-reactive protein in atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease: an overview. Curr Vasc Pharmacol. 2008;6:258-70 pubmed..We review the literature concerning the mechanisms by which CRP may influence the development of cardiovascular disease and discuss the findings of clinical studies assessing the association between CRP and cardiovascular disease. ..
- Ioannidis J, Allison D, Ball C, Coulibaly I, Cui X, Culhane A, et al. Repeatability of published microarray gene expression analyses. Nat Genet. 2009;41:149-55 pubmed publisher..Repeatability of published microarray studies is apparently limited. More strict publication rules enforcing public data availability and explicit description of data processing and analysis should be considered. ..
- Ioannidis J, Thomas G, Daly M. Validating, augmenting and refining genome-wide association signals. Nat Rev Genet. 2009;10:318-29 pubmed publisher..Even in cases for which replication proves that an effect exists, confident localization of the causal variant often remains elusive. ..
- Benetatos L, Vartholomatos G, Hatzimichael E. MEG3 imprinted gene contribution in tumorigenesis. Int J Cancer. 2011;129:773-9 pubmed publisher..MEG3 could represent a tumor suppressor gene located in chromosome 14q32 and its association with tumorigenesis is growing every day. ..
- Sflomos G, Kostaras E, Panopoulou E, Pappas N, Kyrkou A, Politou A, et al. ERBIN is a new SARA-interacting protein: competition between SARA and SMAD2 and SMAD3 for binding to ERBIN. J Cell Sci. 2011;124:3209-22 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these data suggest that the response of cells to TGF? and activin A can be influenced by the relative concentrations of SARA, ERBIN and SMAD2/3. ..
- Gouma E, Simos Y, Verginadis I, Lykoudis E, Evangelou A, Karkabounas S. A simple procedure for estimation of total body surface area and determination of a new value of Meeh's constant in rats. Lab Anim. 2012;46:40-5 pubmed publisher..We also suggest a new procedure of surface area measurement which is easy, accurate and does not require animal sacrifice. ..
- Kostaras E, Sflomos G, Pedersen N, Stenmark H, Fotsis T, Murphy C. SARA and RNF11 interact with each other and ESCRT-0 core proteins and regulate degradative EGFR trafficking. Oncogene. 2013;32:5220-32 pubmed publisher..In these cancers, deficient termination of the oncogenic signaling of mutated receptors, such as the EGFRs, through suboptimal lysosomal degradation could contribute to the process of malignant transformation. ..
- Emmanouilidou A, Karetsou Z, Tzima E, Kobayashi T, Papamarcaki T. Knockdown of prothymosin ? leads to apoptosis and developmental defects in zebrafish embryos. Biochem Cell Biol. 2013;91:325-32 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest a conserved anti-apoptotic role of ProT? between zebrafish and humans, and provide the first evidence that ProT? is important for early embryogenesis. ..
- Zamora Ros R, CastaÃ±eda J, Rinaldi S, Cayssials V, Slimani N, Weiderpass E, et al. Consumption of Fish Is Not Associated with Risk of Differentiated Thyroid Carcinoma in the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition (EPIC) Study. J Nutr. 2017;147:1366-1373 pubmed publisher..b>Conclusion: This large study shows that the intake of fish and shellfish was not associated with differentiated TC risk in Europe, a region in which iodine deficiency or excess is rare. ..
- Charalabopoulos K, Karkabounas S, Ioachim E, Papalimneou V, Syrigos K, Evangelou A, et al. Antitumour and toxic effects on Wistar rats of two new platinum complexes. Eur J Clin Invest. 2002;32:129-33 pubmed..All of these effects were reversible after drug discontinuation. The two new platinum complexes described here appear to have an effective antitumour activity without severe toxicity when tested on Wistar rats. ..
- Kondomerkos D, Kalamidas S, Kotoulas O. In vitro effects of hormones and autacoids on the activity of acid phosphatase in the lysates of endotoxin-activated rat peritoneal and bronchoalveolar macrophages. Histol Histopathol. 2003;18:1103-13 pubmed publisher..The results of this study, taken together with previously published data (Kondomerkos et al., 2003), suggest that hormones and autacoids may control certain parameters of macrophage activation including acid phosphatase activity. ..
- Kondomerkos D, Kalamidas S, Kotoulas O. Effects of cyclic AMP-elevating hormones and autacoids on LPS-activated rat peritoneal, bronchoalveolar and hepatic (Kupffer) macrophages. Cell Biochem Funct. 2006;24:245-56 pubmed..The results of this work suggest that cyclic AMP-elevating hormones and autacoids affect the functions of endotoxin-activated macrophages, such as the production of nitric oxide and the activity of acid beta-glucuronidase. ..
- Martic G, Karetsou Z, Kefala K, Politou A, Clapier C, Straub T, et al. Parathymosin affects the binding of linker histone H1 to nucleosomes and remodels chromatin structure. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:16143-50 pubmed..Our data suggest a role of parathymosin in the remodeling of higher order chromatin structure through modulation of H1 interaction with nucleosomes and point to its involvement in chromatin-dependent functions. ..
- Dialynas G, Terjung S, Brown J, Aucott R, Baron Luhr B, Singh P, et al. Plasticity of HP1 proteins in mammalian cells. J Cell Sci. 2007;120:3415-24 pubmed..These data provide evidence for HP1 plasticity under shifting microenvironmental conditions and offer a new conceptual framework for understanding chromatin dynamics at the molecular level. ..
- Louppis A, Badeka A, Katikou P, Paleologos E, Kontominas M. Determination of okadaic acid, dinophysistoxin-1 and related esters in Greek mussels using HPLC with fluorometric detection, LC-MS/MS and mouse bioassay. Toxicon. 2010;55:724-33 pubmed publisher..135 microg/g HP, respectively, for OA. Comparison of results between the two analytical methods showed excellent agreement (100%), while both HPLC-FLD and LC-MS/MS methods showed an agreement of 97.1% compared to the mouse bioassay. ..
- Alexiou G, Voulgaris S. The role of the PTEN gene in malignant gliomas. Neurol Neurochir Pol. 2010;44:80-6 pubmed..Furthermore, there is an interaction with other tumour suppressor genes. We discuss the role of miRNAs in modulating PTEN expression and also PTEN's role in the nucleus. ..
- Christou G, Tselepis A, Kiortsis D. The metabolic role of retinol binding protein 4: an update. Horm Metab Res. 2012;44:6-14 pubmed publisher..Thus, further studies investigating the metabolic roles of RBP(4) should be carefully planned, taking into account the effects of nonmetabolic conditions on circulating RBP(4). ..
- Kaltsonoudis E, Voulgari P, Konitsiotis S, Drosos A. Demyelination and other neurological adverse events after anti-TNF therapy. Autoimmun Rev. 2014;13:54-8 pubmed publisher..Thus, in this report we deal with the implication of TNF? in multiple sclerosis and we discuss the possible relationship of TNF? antagonist and demyelinating diseases. ..
- Botsakis K, Mourtzi T, Panagiotakopoulou V, Vreka M, Stathopoulos G, Pediaditakis I, et al. BNN-20, a synthetic microneurotrophin, strongly protects dopaminergic neurons in the "weaver" mouse, a genetic model of dopamine-denervation, acting through the TrkB neurotrophin receptor. Neuropharmacology. 2017;121:140-157 pubmed publisher..Thus BNN-20 could be proposed for treatment of PD. ..
- Assimakopoulos D, Kolettas E, Patrikakos G, Evangelou A. The role of CD44 in the development and prognosis of head and neck squamous cell carcinomas. Histol Histopathol. 2002;17:1269-81 pubmed publisher..The clinical significance of CD44 in squamous cell carcinomas of the head and neck as a tumour marker for cancer diagnosis and prognosis is discussed. ..