Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on aged in Ioánnina, Epirus, Greece
Locale: Ioánnina, Epirus, Greece
Publications146 found, 100 shown here
- Pentheroudakis G, Nicolaou I, Kotoula V, Fountzilas E, Markou K, Eleftheraki A, et al. Prognostic utility of angiogenesis and hypoxia effectors in patients with operable squamous cell cancer of the larynx. Oral Oncol. 2012;48:709-16 pubmed publisher..In laryngeal cancer, upregulated mRNA expression of VEGFR1 and VEGFC is associated with poor patient outcome. ..
- Alexiou G, Goussia A, Ntoulia A, Zagorianakou P, Malamou Mitsi V, Voulgaris S, et al. Immunohistochemical study of MRP5 expression in meningiomas. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol. 2013;71:825-8 pubmed publisher..Further research is needed to clarify whether MRP5 is indicative of malignant pathological features in meningiomas and whether possible therapeutic implications exist. ..
- Pavlidis N. Cancer of unknown primary: biological and clinical characteristics. Ann Oncol. 2003;14 Suppl 3:iii11-8 pubmed
- Ioachim E, Michael M, Salmas M, Michael M, Stavropoulos N, Malamou Mitsi V. Hypoxia-inducible factors HIF-1alpha and HIF-2alpha expression in bladder cancer and their associations with other angiogenesis-related proteins. Urol Int. 2006;77:255-63 pubmed..In addition, the expression of HIF-1alpha and HIF-2alpha, appear to play a role in bladder cancer, vascularization possibly and in cooperation with other angiogenic factors. ..
- Dova L, Pentheroudakis G, Golfinopoulos V, Malamou Mitsi V, Georgiou I, Vartholomatos G, et al. Targeting c-KIT, PDGFR in cancer of unknown primary: a screening study for molecular markers of benefit. J Cancer Res Clin Oncol. 2008;134:697-704 pubmed..In a moderate-sized CUP patient cohort, KIT or PDGFRa protein overexpression is rare, does not have gross prognostic significance for survival and is not associated with presence of activating mutations. ..
- Vrioni G, Pappas G, Priavali E, Gartzonika C, Levidiotou S. An eternal microbe: Brucella DNA load persists for years after clinical cure. Clin Infect Dis. 2008;46:e131-6 pubmed publisher..Brucella melitensis DNA persists despite appropriate treatment and apparent recovery. This finding offers a new insight into the pathophysiology of the disease: B. melitensis is a noneradicable, persisting pathogen. ..
- Moutzouri E, Tellis C, Rousouli K, Liberopoulos E, Milionis H, Elisaf M, et al. Effect of simvastatin or its combination with ezetimibe on Toll-like receptor expression and lipopolysaccharide - induced cytokine production in monocytes of hypercholesterolemic patients. Atherosclerosis. 2012;225:381-7 pubmed publisher..The pathophysiological significance of these effects regarding atherosclerosis, reserves further investigation. ..
- Liberopoulos E, Makariou S, Moutzouri E, Kostapanos M, Challa A, Elisaf M. Effect of simvastatin/ezetimibe 10/10 mg versus simvastatin 40 mg on serum vitamin D levels. J Cardiovasc Pharmacol Ther. 2013;18:229-33 pubmed publisher..For similar LDL-C lowering simvastatin 40 mg is associated with greater increase in 25(OH)VitD compared to simvastatin/ezetimibe 10/10 mg. Whether this difference is relevant in terms of CVD risk reduction is unknown. ..
- Korantzopoulos P, Grekas G, Goudevenos J. Right-sided implantation of a cardiac resynchronization therapy defibrillator in a case of persistent left superior vena cava. Hellenic J Cardiol. 2013;54:224-6 pubmed..We also briefly discuss the technically challenging procedures applied in such cases. ..
- Abbas A, Franey L, Marwick T, Maeder M, Kaye D, Vlahos A, et al. Noninvasive assessment of pulmonary vascular resistance by Doppler echocardiography. J Am Soc Echocardiogr. 2013;26:1170-1177 pubmed publisher..In patients with TRV/TVIRVOT > 0.275, PVR is likely > 6 WU, and PVRecho2 derived from TRV(2)/TVIRVOT provides an improved noninvasive estimate of PVR compared with PVRecho. ..
- Moutzouri E, Liberopoulos E, Tellis C, Milionis H, Tselepis A, Elisaf M. Comparison of the effect of simvastatin versus simvastatin/ezetimibe versus rosuvastatin on markers of inflammation and oxidative stress in subjects with hypercholesterolemia. Atherosclerosis. 2013;231:8-14 pubmed publisher..001 compared with baseline). No intergroup differences were observed. Simvastatin 40 mg, simvastatin/ezetimibe 10/10 mg and rosuvastatin 10 mg significantly reduced 8-epiPGF2a, oxLDL and Lp-PLA2 activity and mass to a similar extent. ..
- Tzarouchi L, Astrakas L, Konitsiotis S, Tsouli S, Margariti P, Zikou A, et al. Voxel-based morphometry and Voxel-based relaxometry in parkinsonian variant of multiple system atrophy. J Neuroimaging. 2010;20:260-6 pubmed publisher..Negative correlation was demonstrated between T2 and gray and white matter volume. Diffuse brain atrophy, mainly in the motor circuitry is observed in MSA-P. Normalization for atrophy should always be performed in T2 measurements. ..
- Baikoussis N, Siminelakis S, Kotsanti A, Achenbach K, Argyropoulou M, Goudevenos J. Multiple cerebral mycotic aneurysms due to left atrial myxoma: are there any pitfalls for the cardiac surgeon?. Hellenic J Cardiol. 2011;52:466-8 pubmed..We propose that cerebral CT or MRI scan should be performed before operation in all patients with a cardiac myxoma, especially in those with left cardiac chamber localisation. ..
- Stavropoulos N, Bouropoulos C, Ioachim E, Michael M, Hastazeris K, Tsimaris I, et al. Prognostic significance of thymidine phosphorylase in superficial bladder carcinoma. Int Urol Nephrol. 2005;37:55-60 pubmed..049) and no relationship with TPN (p=0.072). We suggest that the assessment of TPN might be useful for predicting recurrence in superficial bladder cancer. We propose also that TP may stimulate angiogenesis. ..
- Florentin M, Liberopoulos E, Rizos C, Kei A, Liamis G, Kostapanos M, et al. Colesevelam plus rosuvastatin 5?mg/day versus rosuvastatin 10?mg/day alone on markers of insulin resistance in patients with hypercholesterolemia and impaired fasting glucose. Metab Syndr Relat Disord. 2013;11:152-6 pubmed publisher..Whether this is associated with less new-onset diabetes remains unknown. ..
- Panteli K, Hatzimichael E, Bouranta P, Katsaraki A, Seferiadis K, Stebbing J, et al. Serum interleukin (IL)-1, IL-2, sIL-2Ra, IL-6 and thrombopoietin levels in patients with chronic myeloproliferative diseases. Br J Haematol. 2005;130:709-15 pubmed..Cytokines may be useful markers for predicting clinical evolution, reflecting increased angiogenesis. This requires further evaluation to guide diagnostic and therapeutic options. ..
- Markatseli T, Alamanos Y, Saougou I, Voulgari P, Drosos A. Survival of TNF-alpha antagonists in rheumatoid arthritis: a long-term study. Clin Exp Rheumatol. 2012;30:31-8 pubmed..They demonstrate an acceptable safety profile. Their survival rate is high in the first years of treatment, while after the fifth year it decreases considerably. ..
- Alexiou G, Zigouris A, Pahaturidis D, Goussia A, Tsiouris S, Fotopoulos A, et al. Olfactory colloid cyst. Clin Neurol Neurosurg. 2007;109:902-4 pubmed..Colloid cysts should be included in the differential diagnosis of lesions in the anterior fossa and although benign they may have an aggressive presentation by eroding the dura and producing CSF leak...
- Christogiannis L, Kostapanos M, Tellis C, Milionis H, Tselepis A, Elisaf M. Distinct effects of fixed combinations of valsartan with either amlodipine or hydrochlorothiazide on lipoprotein subfraction profile in patients with hypertension. J Hum Hypertens. 2013;27:44-50 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, despite similar reductions in BP, V-H combination may adversely affect serum lipids as well as LDL and HDL subfraction profile as compared with V-A. ..
- Mitselou A, Skoufi U, Tsimogiannis K, Briasoulis E, Vougiouklakis T, Arvanitis D, et al. Association of syndecan-1 with angiogenesis-related markers, extracellular matrix components, and clinicopathological features in colorectal carcinoma. Anticancer Res. 2012;32:3977-85 pubmed
- Pentheroudakis G, Malamou Mitsi V, Briasoulis E, Damala K, Vassou A, Vartholomatos G, et al. The neutrophil, not the tumor: serum CA 15-3 elevation as a result of granulocyte--colony-stimulating factor-induced neutrophil MU1C overexpression and neutrophilia in patients with breast carcinoma receiving adjuvant chemotherapy. Cancer. 2004;101:1767-75 pubmed..Physicians should be aware of this interaction. ..
- Avdikou I, Maipa V, Alamanos Y. Epidemiology of human brucellosis in a defined area of Northwestern Greece. Epidemiol Infect. 2005;133:905-10 pubmed
- Kakadellis J, Karfis E. The posterior membranous flap technique for bronchial closure after pneumonectomy. Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg. 2008;7:638-41 pubmed publisher..This bronchial closure technique offers a safe method of prevention of bronchopleural fistula. ..
- Zagouri F, Kotoula V, Kouvatseas G, Sotiropoulou M, Koletsa T, Gavressea T, et al. Protein expression patterns of cell cycle regulators in operable breast cancer. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0180489 pubmed publisher..0%, 79.1%, 67.4% and OS 88.4%, 90.4%, 78.9%, respectively. It seems that the expression of cell cycle regulators in the absence of p53 protein is associated with favorable prognosis in operable breast cancer. ..
- Papadopoulou S, Scorilas A, Yotis J, Arnogianaki N, Plataniotis G, Agnanti N, et al. Significance of urokinase-type plasminogen activator and plasminogen activator inhibitor-1 (PAI-1) expression in human colorectal carcinomas. Tumour Biol. 2002;23:170-8 pubmed..The degree of staining was associated with grade, Dukes' stage and nodal status for uPA (p < 0.001, p = 0.002, p < 0.001, respectively) and only with grade for PAI-1 (p = 0.007). ..
- Mitselou A, Batistatou A, Nakanishi Y, Hirohashi S, Vougiouklakis T, Charalabopoulos K. Comparison of the dysadherin and E-cadherin expression in primary lung cancer and metastatic sites. Histol Histopathol. 2010;25:1257-67 pubmed publisher..In lung carcinomas dysadherin expression seems to reflect tumour aggressiveness and may be considered a positive marker of poor prognosis when considered alone or/and in combination with down-regulation of E-cadherin...
- Naka K, Papathanassiou K, Bechlioulis A, Pappas K, Kazakos N, Kanioglou C, et al. Effects of pioglitazone and metformin on vascular endothelial function in patients with type 2 diabetes treated with sulfonylureas. Diab Vasc Dis Res. 2012;9:52-8 pubmed publisher..The beneficial effects of pioglitazone and metformin on endothelial function in T2DM patients did not differ greatly. Larger studies are needed to explore whether a potentially greater benefit with pioglitazone may exist. ..
- Pectasides D, Kotoula V, Papaxoinis G, Alexopoulou Z, Dervenis C, Samantas E, et al. Expression Patterns of Growth and Survival Genes with Prognostic Implications in Advanced Pancreatic Cancer. Anticancer Res. 2016;36:6347-6356 pubmed
- Akritidis N, Galiatsou E, Kakadellis J, Dimas K, Paparounas K. Brain tuberculomas due to miliary tuberculosis. South Med J. 2005;98:111-3 pubmed..He received antituberculous treatment and had an excellent recovery...
- Filippatos T, Tsimihodimos V, Derdemezis C, Gazi I, Saougos V, Mikhailidis D, et al. Increased plasma visfatin concentration is a marker of an atherogenic metabolic profile. Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis. 2013;23:330-6 pubmed publisher..Our results support a role for visfatin in the detection of subjects with many metabolic abnormalities, which result in increased CVD risk. ..
- Hyphantis T, Antoniou K, Tomenson B, Tsianos E, Mavreas V, Creed F. Is the personality characteristic "impulsive sensation seeking" correlated to differences in current smoking between ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease patients?. Gen Hosp Psychiatry. 2010;32:57-65 pubmed publisher..ImpSS is associated with current smoking and nicotine dependence in IBD, and these associations are stronger in CD. These findings might be relevant to more effective interventions aiming at smoking cessation in CD patients. ..
- Papadopoulou V, Kontandreopoulou E, Panayiotidis P, Roumelioti M, Angelopoulou M, Kyriazopoulou L, et al. Expression, prognostic significance and mutational analysis of protein tyrosine phosphatase SHP-1 in chronic myeloid leukemia. Leuk Lymphoma. 2016;57:1182-8 pubmed publisher..This study also found no correlation of SHP-1 expression at diagnosis with response to treatment, although a trend for lower SHP-1 expression was noted in the very small non-responders' group of the 3-month therapeutic milestone. ..
- Pappas G, Kitsanou M, Christou L, Tsianos E. Immune thrombocytopenia attributed to brucellosis and other mechanisms of Brucella-induced thrombocytopenia. Am J Hematol. 2004;75:139-41 pubmed..The patient was diagnosed as suffering from brucellosis on the basis of a strongly positive serologic reaction and was treated with doxycycline, streptomycin, and a short course of corticosteroids, with a rapid rise in platelet number. ..
- Kalambokis G, Economou G, Kamina S, Papachristou D, Bai M, Tsianos E. Multiple brown tumors of the ribs simulating malignancy. J Endocrinol Invest. 2005;28:738-40 pubmed..However, histological and laboratory data were consistent with the development of brown tumors of the ribs due to underlying severe hyperparathyroidism...
- Siogas K, Pappas S, Graekas G, Goudevenos J, Liapi G, Sideris D. Segmental wall motion abnormalities alter vulnerability to ventricular ectopic beats associated with acute increases in aortic pressure in patients with underlying coronary artery disease. Heart. 1998;79:268-73 pubmed..To evaluate whether patients with coronary artery disease are susceptible to pressure related ventricular arrhythmias, and if so to identify possible risk factors...
- Tsanou E, Sintou Mantela E, Pappa L, Grammeniatis E, Malamou Mitsi V. Fine-needle aspiration of secondary malignancies of the penis: a report of three cases. Diagn Cytopathol. 2003;29:229-32 pubmed..In conclusion, although it has rarely been used as a diagnostic tool, FNA of the penis can be proved effective and safe in diagnosing a suspected secondary malignancy. ..
- Kalambokis G, Economou M, Fotopoulos A, Bokharhii J, Katsaraki A, Tsianos E. Renal effects of treatment with diuretics, octreotide or both, in non-azotemic cirrhotic patients with ascites. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2005;20:1623-9 pubmed..On the contrary, adding it to diuretic treatment increases glomerular filtration rate and sodium and water excretion, mainly through the suppression of an activated renin-aldosterone axis. ..
- Batistatou A, Scopa C, Ravazoula P, Nakanishi Y, Peschos D, Agnantis N, et al. Involvement of dysadherin and E-cadherin in the development of testicular tumours. Br J Cancer. 2005;93:1382-7 pubmed..In testicular tumours, as in other neoplasms, dysadherin downregulates E-cadherin expression, at least in part. ..
- Karavasilis V, Malamou Mitsi V, Briasoulis E, Tsanou E, Kitsou E, Pavlidis N. Clinicopathologic study of vascular endothelial growth factor, thrombospondin-1, and microvessel density assessed by CD34 in patients with stage III ovarian carcinoma. Int J Gynecol Cancer. 2006;16 Suppl 1:241-6 pubmed..36 months, P= 0.1). Proangiogenetic factor VEGF is highly expressed in advanced-stage ovarian carcinomas. The findings of this study may offer support for considering VEGF-targeted therapeutics in ovarian cancer treatment research. ..
- Katopodis K, Andrikos E, Gouva C, Bairaktari E, Nikolopoulos P, Takouli L, et al. Sevelamer hydrochloride versus aluminum hydroxide: effect on serum phosphorus and lipids in CAPD patients. Perit Dial Int. 2006;26:320-7 pubmed..The present study was designed to evaluate the efficacy of SH in the control of hyperphosphatemia and its effect, compared to AH, on serum lipid parameters in patients on continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysis (CAPD)...
- Kitsos G, Zikou A, Bagli E, Kosta P, Argyropoulou M. Conventional MRI and magnetisation transfer imaging of the brain and optic pathway in primary open-angle glaucoma. Br J Radiol. 2009;82:896-900 pubmed publisher..46). POAG leads to optic nerve atrophy and degeneration of the optic pathway. The finding of an increase in the number of WMH suggests that cerebrovascular disease may play a role in the pathogenesis of POAG. ..
- Naka K, Pappas K, Papathanassiou K, Papamichael N, Kazakos N, Kanioglou C, et al. Lack of effects of pioglitazone on cardiac function in patients with type 2 diabetes and evidence of left ventricular diastolic dysfunction: a tissue doppler imaging study. Cardiovasc Diabetol. 2010;9:57 pubmed publisher
- Kostapanos M, Spyrou A, Tellis C, Gazi I, Tselepis A, Elisaf M, et al. Ezetimibe treatment lowers indicators of oxidative stress in hypercholesterolemic subjects with high oxidative stress. Lipids. 2011;46:341-8 pubmed publisher..Ezetimibe may decrease markers of oxidative stress in hypercholesterolemic subjects. This benefit may be more profound among patients who exhibit 'high oxidative stress' at baseline. ..
- Matsagkas M, Kouvelos G, Arnaoutoglou E, Papa N, Labropoulos N, Tassiopoulos A. Hybrid procedures for patients with critical limb ischemia and severe common femoral artery atherosclerosis. Ann Vasc Surg. 2011;25:1063-9 pubmed publisher..To evaluate the immediate and midterm results of hybrid (combined open surgical and endovascular) lower extremity revascularization procedures in patients with critical limb ischemia (CLI)...
- Pontikis K, Karaiskos I, Bastani S, Dimopoulos G, Kalogirou M, Katsiari M, et al. Outcomes of critically ill intensive care unit patients treated with fosfomycin for infections due to pandrug-resistant and extensively drug-resistant carbapenemase-producing Gram-negative bacteria. Int J Antimicrob Agents. 2014;43:52-9 pubmed publisher..Resistance development during therapy, which has been a matter of concern in previous studies, did not occur frequently. The necessity of combination with other antibiotics requires further investigation...
- Barkas F, Elisaf M, Liberopoulos E, Liontos A, Rizos E. High triglyceride levels alter the correlation of apolipoprotein B with low- and non-high-density lipoprotein cholesterol mostly in individuals with diabetes or metabolic syndrome. Atherosclerosis. 2016;247:58-63 pubmed publisher..710 and 0.714, respectively, p < 0.01). Apo-B correlation with both LDL-C and non-HDL-C is reduced in individuals with high TG levels and in particular for those with diabetes or MetS. ..
- Milionis H, Alexandrides G, Liberopoulos E, Bairaktari E, Goudevenos J, Elisaf M. Hypomagnesemia and concurrent acid-base and electrolyte abnormalities in patients with congestive heart failure. Eur J Heart Fail. 2002;4:167-73 pubmed..Clinicians' awareness of the incidence of hypomagnesemia in this population as well as its related pathophysiology could be useful for the early detection and appropriate treatment to inhibit its arrhythmogenic potential. ..
- Tsironi S, Ioachim E, Machera M, Aspiotis M, Agnantis N, Psillas K. Immunohistochemical HLA-DR antigen expression with lymphocyte subsets and proliferative activity in pterygium. In Vivo. 2002;16:299-306 pubmed..The data suggest that immunopathological mechanisms may contribute in the pathogenesis of pterygium. In addition, the aberrant HLA-DR antigen expression seems to be correlated with the growth fraction of the lesion. ..
- Milionis H, Rizos E, Liamis G, Nikas S, Siamopoulos K, Elisaf M. Acid-base and electrolyte disturbances in patients with hypercalcemia. South Med J. 2002;95:1280-7 pubmed..A wide array of concurrent acid-base and electrolyte disorders may be evident in hypercalcemic patients. Differences in these laboratory parameters are helpful in diagnostic workup. ..
- Drossos G, Toumpoulis I, Katritsis D, Ioannidis J, Kontogiorgi P, Svarna E, et al. Is vitamin C superior to diltiazem for radial artery vasodilation in patients awaiting coronary artery bypass grafting?. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2003;125:330-5 pubmed..001), and smoking history (+20.8%, P =.017). Vitamin C is a potent acute vasodilator in both smokers and nonsmokers and is superior to diltiazem in preoperative coronary patients who need protection from vasospasm of the radial conduit. ..
- Alymara V, Tzouvara E, Vartholomatos G, Chaidos A, Tsiara S, Bourantas K. A single-center, retrospective study of management and outcome of 45 elderly AML patients, diagnosed in 2001. J Exp Clin Cancer Res. 2004;23:447-54 pubmed..Close follow-up and supportive care highly contributed to an improvement of treatment outcome in elderly patients with acute myeloid leukemia. ..
- Kalambokis G, Economou M, Fotopoulos A, Al Bokharhii J, Pappas C, Katsaraki A, et al. The effects of chronic treatment with octreotide versus octreotide plus midodrine on systemic hemodynamics and renal hemodynamics and function in nonazotemic cirrhotic patients with ascites. Am J Gastroenterol. 2005;100:879-85 pubmed..This study evaluated the effects of chronic treatment with octreotide versus octreotide plus midodrine on systemic hemodynamics and renal hemodynamics, and function in nonazotemic cirrhotic patients with ascites...
- Konitsiotis S, Pappa S, Mantas C, Mavreas V. Levetiracetam in tardive dyskinesia: an open label study. Mov Disord. 2006;21:1219-21 pubmed..LEV may be efficacious for the treatment of tardive dyskinesia and deserves further clinical testing. ..
- Matsagas M, Bali C, Arnaoutoglou E, Papakostas J, Nassis C, Papadopoulos G, et al. Carotid endarterectomy with bovine pericardium patch angioplasty: mid-term results. Ann Vasc Surg. 2006;20:614-9 pubmed..Patch angioplasty of the carotid artery using BP showed unwittingly early and mid-term surgical outcome. Our results demonstrate the BP to be a suitable patch material for routine use in carotid surgery. ..
- Dova L, Pentheroudakis G, Georgiou I, Malamou Mitsi V, Vartholomatos G, Fountzilas G, et al. Global profiling of EGFR gene mutation, amplification, regulation and tissue protein expression in unknown primary carcinomas: to target or not to target?. Clin Exp Metastasis. 2007;24:79-86 pubmed..Our data depict absence of molecular predictors of benefit from EGFR modulation in patients with CUP. Study of its molecular pathophysiology and targeting other molecular pathways may be warranted instead. ..
- Pahatouridis D, Alexiou G, Zigouris A, Mihos E, Drosos D, Voulgaris S. Coagulopathy in moderate head injury. The role of early administration of low molecular weight heparin. Brain Inj. 2010;24:1189-92 pubmed publisher..Clinical manifestations of DIC were not observed. Patients with moderate TBI are at a serious risk of developing brain intravascular microthrombosis. Our study supports the early use of low molecular weight heparin. ..
- Xeropotamos N, Skopelitou A, Batsis C, Kappas A. Heterotopic gastric mucosa together with intestinal metaplasia and moderate dysplasia in the gall bladder: report of two clinically unusual cases with literature review. Gut. 2001;48:719-23 pubmed..As heterotopic tissue may promote carcinogenesis of the gall bladder, close attention should be paid to any occurrence of such lesions in this anatomical region. ..
- Giannakopoulos X, Charalabopoulos K, Baltogiannis D, Chatzikiriakidou A, Alamanos Y, Georgiou I, et al. The role of N-acetyltransferase-2 and glutathione S-transferase on the risk and aggressiveness of bladder cancer. Anticancer Res. 2002;22:3801-4 pubmed
- Stefaniotou M, Aspiotis M, Pappa C, Eftaxias V, Psilas K. Timing of dislocated nuclear fragment management after cataract surgery. J Cataract Refract Surg. 2003;29:1985-8 pubmed
- Zagorianakou N, Stefanou D, Makrydimas G, Zagorianakou P, Briasoulis E, Karavasilis V, et al. Clinicopathological study of metallothionein immunohistochemical expression, in benign, borderline and malignant ovarian epithelial tumors. Histol Histopathol. 2006;21:341-7 pubmed publisher..MT constitutes a marker that characterizes aggressiveness and a high malignant potential in ovarian epithelial tumors. In diagnostic problems MT may help distinguish between benign, borderline and malignant tumors. ..
- Evangelou E, Chapman K, Meulenbelt I, Karassa F, Loughlin J, Carr A, et al. Large-scale analysis of association between GDF5 and FRZB variants and osteoarthritis of the hip, knee, and hand. Arthritis Rheum. 2009;60:1710-21 pubmed publisher..Findings of this collaborative analysis do not support the notion that FRZB rs7775 or rs288326 has any sizable genetic effect on OA phenotypes. ..
- Briasoulis E, Pappas P, Puozzo C, Tolis C, Fountzilas G, Dafni U, et al. Dose-ranging study of metronomic oral vinorelbine in patients with advanced refractory cancer. Clin Cancer Res. 2009;15:6454-61 pubmed publisher..Further clinical investigation is warranted. ..
- Christou G, Tellis K, Elisaf M, Tselepis A, Kiortsis D. High density lipoprotein is positively correlated with the changes in circulating total adiponectin and high molecular weight adiponectin during dietary and fenofibrate treatment. Hormones (Athens). 2012;11:178-88 pubmed..594, p=0.012). HDL is positively correlated with the changes in circulating adiponectin during dietary and fenofibrate treatment. ..
- Levidiotou S, Charalabopoulos K, Vrioni G, Chaidos A, Polysoidis K, Bourantas K, et al. Fatal meningitis due to Listeria monocytogenes in elderly patients with underlying malignancy. Int J Clin Pract. 2004;58:292-6 pubmed..monocytogenes is not distinguishable clinically from other types of bacterial meningitis, it is recommended to cover Listeria in the initial empirical therapy of bacterial meningitis in immunosuppressed patients...
- Psofaki V, Kalogera C, Tzambouras N, Stephanou D, Tsianos E, Seferiadis K, et al. Promoter methylation status of hMLH1, MGMT, and CDKN2A/p16 in colorectal adenomas. World J Gastroenterol. 2010;16:3553-60 pubmed
- Pakos E, Gogou P, Apostolikas N, Batistatou A, Tsekeris P. Factors associated with outcome in liposarcomas of the extremities and trunk. J BUON. 2010;15:518-23 pubmed..We aimed to evaluate the outcomes of patients with extremities and superficial trunk liposarcomas in relation to some clinicopathological factors...
- Markatseli T, Voulgari P, Alamanos Y, Drosos A. Prognostic factors of radiological damage in rheumatoid arthritis: a 10-year retrospective study. J Rheumatol. 2011;38:44-52 pubmed publisher..Baseline radiographic damage, anti-CCP antibodies, and time-averaged CRP constitute the main predictive factors of poor radiologic outcome in the long term. ..
- Tambakis C, Papadopoulos G, Sergentanis T, Lagos N, Arnaoutoglou E, Labropoulos N, et al. Cerebral oximetry and stump pressure as indicators for shunting during carotid endarterectomy: comparative evaluation. Vascular. 2011;19:187-94 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, cerebral oximety reflects sufficiently cerebral oxygenation during CEA compared with SP, providing a useful mean for cerebral monitoring. ..
- Ploumis A, Christodoulou P, Kapoutsis D, Gelalis I, Vraggalas V, Beris A. Surgical treatment of lumbar spinal stenosis with microdecompression and interspinous distraction device insertion. A case series. J Orthop Surg Res. 2012;7:35 pubmed publisher..The purpose of this study is to evaluate the results of patients undergoing surgery for spinal stenosis with a combination of unilateral microdecompression and interspinous distraction device insertion...
- Mitselou A, Galani V, Skoufi U, Arvanitis D, Lampri E, Ioachim E. Syndecan-1, Epithelial-Mesenchymal Transition Markers (E-cadherin/?-catenin) and Neoangiogenesis-related Proteins (PCAM-1 and Endoglin) in Colorectal Cancer. Anticancer Res. 2016;36:2271-80 pubmed..Further studies are needed to clarify the interaction between these proteins and tumor initiation and progression. ..
- Galani V, Constantopoulos S, Manda Stachouli C, Frangou Lazaridis M, Mavridis A, Vassiliou M, et al. Additional proteins in BAL fluid of Metsovites environmentally exposed to asbestos: more evidence of "protection" against neoplasia?. Chest. 2002;121:273-8 pubmed
- Hyphantis T, Tsifetaki N, Pappa C, Voulgari P, Siafaka V, Bai M, et al. Clinical features and personality traits associated with psychological distress in systemic sclerosis patients. J Psychosom Res. 2007;62:47-56 pubmed..Several clinical parameters are associated with distress, but the role of various personality traits could not be disregarded. Early psychiatric assessment and intervention could prevent psychological distress in SSc patients. ..
- Nakou E, Filippatos T, Georgoula M, Kiortsis D, Tselepis A, Mikhailidis D, et al. The effect of orlistat and ezetimibe, alone or in combination, on serum LDL and small dense LDL cholesterol levels in overweight and obese patients with hypercholesterolaemia. Curr Med Res Opin. 2008;24:1919-29 pubmed..Furthermore, orlistat, alone or in combination with ezetimibe, additionally improved several anthropometric and metabolic variables. ..
- Hatzimichael E, Dranitsaris G, Dasoula A, Benetatos L, Stebbing J, Crook T, et al. Von Hippel-Lindau methylation status in patients with multiple myeloma: a potential predictive factor for the development of bone disease. Clin Lymphoma Myeloma. 2009;9:239-42 pubmed publisher..Whether it represents an early or late event of the disease merits additional study. Additional studies regarding the serum levels of HIF-1alpha and vascular endothelial growth factor would be mechanistically interesting. ..
- Hatzis J. The wrinkle and its measurement--a skin surface Profilometric method. Micron. 2004;35:201-19 pubmed
- Efstathiadou Z, Koukoulis G, Stakias N, Challa A, Tsatsoulis A. Apolipoprotein E polymorphism is not associated with spinal bone mineral density in peri- and postmenopausal Greek women. Maturitas. 2004;48:259-64 pubmed..2) nmol/mmol in E4 carriers). In conclusion, in a Greek female postmenopausal population, ApoE gene does not seem to play an important role in determining BMD and neither does it affect the majority of metabolic bone markers. ..
- Balafa O, Karabina S, Pappas C, Elisaf M, Tselepis A, Siamopoulos K. Urine of patients with nephrotic syndrome contains the plasma type of PAF-acetylhydrolase associated with lipoproteins. Nephron Physiol. 2004;97:p45-52 pubmed..Enzyme activity was also positively correlated with urine cholesterol levels. Urine of NS patients contains the plasma type of PAF-AH, which is related to the extent of lipiduria and is associated with urine lipoproteins. ..
- Pentheroudakis G, Golfinopoulos V, Pavlidis N. Switching benchmarks in cancer of unknown primary: from autopsy to microarray. Eur J Cancer. 2007;43:2026-36 pubmed..We systematically reviewed all published evidence on the CUP primary site identified by two different approaches, either autopsy or microarray gene expression profiling...
- Tsili A, Tsampoulas C, Argyropoulou M, Navrozoglou I, Alamanos Y, Paraskevaidis E, et al. Comparative evaluation of multidetector CT and MR imaging in the differentiation of adnexal masses. Eur Radiol. 2008;18:1049-57 pubmed publisher..Although MRI performed slightly better, this did not reach statistical significance. In conclusion, both MDCT on a 16-row CT scanner and MR imaging demonstrated satisfactory results in the characterization of ovarian masses...
- Pentheroudakis G, Kalogeras K, Wirtz R, Grimani I, Zografos G, Gogas H, et al. Gene expression of estrogen receptor, progesterone receptor and microtubule-associated protein Tau in high-risk early breast cancer: a quest for molecular predictors of treatment benefit in the context of a Hellenic Cooperative Oncology Group trial. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2009;116:131-43 pubmed publisher..However, MAP-Tau mRNA did not predict benefit from the addition of a taxane to adjuvant chemotherapy. Further study of the biologic function and utility of MAP-Tau for individualising adjuvant therapy is warranted. ..
- Hatzimichael E, Benetatos L, Dasoula A, Dranitsaris G, Tsiara S, Georgiou I, et al. Absence of methylation-dependent transcriptional silencing in TP73 irrespective of the methylation status of the CDKN2A CpG island in plasma cell neoplasia. Leuk Res. 2009;33:1272-5 pubmed publisher..Further evaluation in a larger sample of patients is needed in order to enhance our statistical power and to test our hypothesis that CDKN2A methylation status can become a useful prognostic biomarker. ..
- Lazaros L, Markoula S, Kyritsis A, Georgiou I. Paraoxonase gene polymorphisms and stroke severity. Eur J Neurol. 2010;17:757-9 pubmed publisher..Large-scale multicenter-controlled prospective studies are warranted to further explore the effects of PON polymorphisms on stroke susceptibility and severity. ..
- Papafaklis M, Bourantas C, Theodorakis P, Katsouras C, Naka K, Fotiadis D, et al. The effect of shear stress on neointimal response following sirolimus- and paclitaxel-eluting stent implantation compared with bare-metal stents in humans. JACC Cardiovasc Interv. 2010;3:1181-9 pubmed publisher..71). Neointimal thickness is significantly correlated (inversely) to SS in PES as in BMS. Sirolimus elution abrogates the SS effect on the neointimal response following stent implantation, whereas the SS effect is unchanged in PES. ..
- Pavlidis N, Pentheroudakis G. Cancer of unknown primary site. Lancet. 2012;379:1428-35 pubmed publisher..Patients in unfavourable subsets are treated with empirical chemotherapy based on combination regimens of platinum or taxane, but responses and survival are generally poor. ..
- Naka K, Papathanassiou K, Bechlioulis A, Kazakos N, Pappas K, Tigas S, et al. Determinants of vascular function in patients with type 2 diabetes. Cardiovasc Diabetol. 2012;11:127 pubmed publisher..The aim of our study was to investigate the predictors of vascular dysfunction in T2DM patients...
- Voulgari P, Papazisi D, Bai M, Zagorianakou P, Assimakopoulos D, Drosos A. Laryngeal involvement in rheumatoid arthritis. Rheumatol Int. 2005;25:321-5 pubmed..In this report we describe two patients with RA and laryngeal involvement, mostly rheumatoid nodule formation, with a review of the literature...
- Markoula S, Giannopoulos S, Sarmas I, Tzavidi S, Kyritsis A, Lagos G. Guillain-Barré syndrome in northwest Greece. Acta Neurol Scand. 2007;115:167-73 pubmed..We present the epidemiological and clinical-laboratory features of Guillain-Barré syndrome (GBS) in northwest Greece over a 9.5-year period...
- Lourida E, Georgiadis A, Papavasiliou E, Papathanasiou A, Drosos A, Tselepis A. Patients with early rheumatoid arthritis exhibit elevated autoantibody titers against mildly oxidized low-density lipoprotein and exhibit decreased activity of the lipoprotein-associated phospholipase A2. Arthritis Res Ther. 2007;9:R19 pubmed
- Chatzikyriakidou A, Georgiou I, Voulgari P, Papadopoulos C, Tzavaras T, Drosos A. Transcription regulatory polymorphism -43T>C in the 5'-flanking region of SLC19A1 gene could affect rheumatoid arthritis patient response to methotrexate therapy. Rheumatol Int. 2007;27:1057-61 pubmed..Therefore, the present genotypic-phenotypic association study of a functional polymorphism revealed the need of a complex genotypic analysis in order to predict patient response to folate antagonists' therapy. ..
- Giannopoulos S, Kosmidou M, Hatzitolios A, Savopoulos C, Ziakas A, Karamouzis M. Measurements of endothelin-1, C-reactive protein and fibrinogen plasma levels in patients with acute ischemic stroke. Neurol Res. 2008;30:727-30 pubmed publisher..There is association between ET-1 and CRP on the fifth day after AIS. Plasma levels of ET-1 and its association with CRP levels may be used as additional biomarkers for AIS. ..