Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on adult in Ioánnina, Epirus, Greece
Locale: Ioánnina, Epirus, Greece
Publications151 found, 100 shown here
- Filippatos T, Elisaf M. Fenofibrate plus simvastatin (fixed-dose combination) for the treatment of dyslipidaemia. Expert Opin Pharmacother. 2011;12:1945-58 pubmed publisher..However, this combination did not lead to better clinical outcomes in the absence of dyslipidaemia. ..
- Pentheroudakis G, Nicolaou I, Kotoula V, Fountzilas E, Markou K, Eleftheraki A, et al. Prognostic utility of angiogenesis and hypoxia effectors in patients with operable squamous cell cancer of the larynx. Oral Oncol. 2012;48:709-16 pubmed publisher..In laryngeal cancer, upregulated mRNA expression of VEGFR1 and VEGFC is associated with poor patient outcome. ..
- Xita N, Tsatsoulis A, Chatzikyriakidou A, Georgiou I. Association of the (TAAAA)n repeat polymorphism in the sex hormone-binding globulin (SHBG) gene with polycystic ovary syndrome and relation to SHBG serum levels. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2003;88:5976-80 pubmed
- Kyzas P, Stefanou D, Batistatou A, Agnantis N. Potential autocrine function of vascular endothelial growth factor in head and neck cancer via vascular endothelial growth factor receptor-2. Mod Pathol. 2005;18:485-94 pubmed
- Panteli K, Hatzimichael E, Bouranta P, Katsaraki A, Seferiadis K, Stebbing J, et al. Serum interleukin (IL)-1, IL-2, sIL-2Ra, IL-6 and thrombopoietin levels in patients with chronic myeloproliferative diseases. Br J Haematol. 2005;130:709-15 pubmed..Cytokines may be useful markers for predicting clinical evolution, reflecting increased angiogenesis. This requires further evaluation to guide diagnostic and therapeutic options. ..
- Pavlidis N, Nicholas P, Gadallah M, Mohsen G, Cavalli F, Franco C, et al. Euro-Arab School of Oncology: an educational collaborative activity of the European School of Oncology with the Arab world. J Cancer Educ. 2011;26:129-33 pubmed publisher..In addition, we assess the evaluation questionnaires given to the participants during the courses. ..
- Vlahos A, Koutsouka F, Papamichael N, Makis A, Baltogiannis G, Athanasiou E, et al. Determinants of pulmonary hypertension in patients with Beta-thalassemia major and normal ventricular function. Acta Haematol. 2012;128:124-9 pubmed publisher..Pulmonary hypertension in ?-thalassemia major is relatively infrequent and generally mild due to improved chelation therapy. The role of hemochromatosis in pulmonary hypertension development merits further study. ..
- Makatsoris T, Tsamandas A, Strimpakos A, Alexopoulou Z, Dionysopoulos D, Pervana S, et al. HER Family Protein Expression in a Greek Population with Gastric Cancer. A Retrospective Hellenic Cooperative Oncology Group Study. Anticancer Res. 2016;36:1581-90 pubmed..Several associations were observed among the HER family members and between clinicopathological characteristics and HER family members. Further research is needed on their exact prognostic role, as well as their therapeutic targeting. ..
- Ioachim E, Peschos D, Goussia A, Mittari E, Charalabopoulos K, Michael M, et al. Expression patterns of cyclins D1, E in laryngeal epithelial lesions: correlation with other cell cycle regulators (p53, pRb, Ki-67 and PCNA) and clinicopathological features. J Exp Clin Cancer Res. 2004;23:277-83 pubmed..In addition, their expression may be involved in the development of laryngeal lesions, implicated in cell proliferation, with other cell cycle related proteins, probably by different molecular pathways. ..
- Papavasiliou E, Gouva C, Siamopoulos K, Tselepis A. Erythrocyte PAF-acetylhydrolase activity in various stages of chronic kidney disease: effect of long-term therapy with erythropoietin. Kidney Int. 2005;68:246-55 pubmed..Administration of EPO prevented the reduction in enzyme activities observed during the progression of the renal insufficiency, thus preserving the erythrocyte defense mechanisms against oxidative stress. ..
- Vrioni G, Pappas G, Priavali E, Gartzonika C, Levidiotou S. An eternal microbe: Brucella DNA load persists for years after clinical cure. Clin Infect Dis. 2008;46:e131-6 pubmed publisher..Brucella melitensis DNA persists despite appropriate treatment and apparent recovery. This finding offers a new insight into the pathophysiology of the disease: B. melitensis is a noneradicable, persisting pathogen. ..
- Lazaros L, Xita N, Kaponis A, Hatzi E, Plachouras N, Sofikitis N, et al. The association of aromatase (CYP19) gene variants with sperm concentration and motility. Asian J Androl. 2011;13:292-7 pubmed publisher..These findings support the significance of cytochrome P450 aromatase in human spermatogenesis and consequently in semen quality. ..
- Efstathiadou Z, Kranas V, Ioannidis J, Georgiou I, Tsatsoulis A. The Sp1 COLIA1 gene polymorphism, and not vitamin D receptor or estrogen receptor gene polymorphisms, determines bone mineral density in postmenopausal Greek women. Osteoporos Int. 2001;12:326-31 pubmed..When all five polymorphisms are considered simultaneously, the Sp1 COLIA1 polymorphism seems to have the most unequivocal effect on BMD, at least in postmenopausal women. ..
- Tsironi S, Ioachim E, Machera M, Aspiotis M, Agnantis N, Psillas K. Immunohistochemical HLA-DR antigen expression with lymphocyte subsets and proliferative activity in pterygium. In Vivo. 2002;16:299-306 pubmed..The data suggest that immunopathological mechanisms may contribute in the pathogenesis of pterygium. In addition, the aberrant HLA-DR antigen expression seems to be correlated with the growth fraction of the lesion. ..
- Gartzonika C, Vrioni G, Levidiotou S. Evaluation of a commercially available reverse transcription-PCR enzyme immunoassay (Enterovirus Consensus kit) for the diagnosis of enterovirus central nervous system infections. Clin Microbiol Infect. 2005;11:131-7 pubmed..01) for the detection of enteroviruses in CSF, and may offer considerable benefits in the clinical management of patients with enterovirus meningitis. ..
- Konitsiotis S, Pappa S, Mantas C, Mavreas V. Levetiracetam in tardive dyskinesia: an open label study. Mov Disord. 2006;21:1219-21 pubmed..LEV may be efficacious for the treatment of tardive dyskinesia and deserves further clinical testing. ..
- Ioachim E, Michael M, Salmas M, Michael M, Stavropoulos N, Malamou Mitsi V. Hypoxia-inducible factors HIF-1alpha and HIF-2alpha expression in bladder cancer and their associations with other angiogenesis-related proteins. Urol Int. 2006;77:255-63 pubmed..In addition, the expression of HIF-1alpha and HIF-2alpha, appear to play a role in bladder cancer, vascularization possibly and in cooperation with other angiogenic factors. ..
- Kakadellis J, Karfis E. The posterior membranous flap technique for bronchial closure after pneumonectomy. Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg. 2008;7:638-41 pubmed publisher..This bronchial closure technique offers a safe method of prevention of bronchopleural fistula. ..
- Bechlioulis A, Kalantaridou S, Naka K, Chatzikyriakidou A, Calis K, Makrigiannakis A, et al. Endothelial function, but not carotid intima-media thickness, is affected early in menopause and is associated with severity of hot flushes. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2010;95:1199-206 pubmed publisher..Severity of hot flushes is the main determinant of endothelial dysfunction in early menopausal women. The studied ER polymorphisms do not offer important information on vascular health in early menopause. ..
- Pappa S, Tsouli S, Apostolou G, Mavreas V, Konitsiotis S. Effects of amantadine on tardive dyskinesia: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study. Clin Neuropharmacol. 2010;33:271-5 pubmed..Amantadine may be an effective and safe treatment for TD. The severity of TD movements in patients receiving amantadine improved significantly more than in those receiving placebo, as measured by the AIMS score. ..
- Christou G, Tellis C, Elisaf M, Tselepis A, Kiortsis D. The changes in plasma retinol-binding protein 4 levels are associated with those of the apolipoprotein B-containing lipoproteins during dietary and drug treatment. Angiology. 2012;63:67-75 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, RBP4 may significantly influence the metabolic pathways responsible for changes in ApoB lipoprotein subspecies, thus RBP4 may be associated with cardiovascular disease risk. ..
- Filippatos T, Tsimihodimos V, Derdemezis C, Gazi I, Saougos V, Mikhailidis D, et al. Increased plasma visfatin concentration is a marker of an atherogenic metabolic profile. Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis. 2013;23:330-6 pubmed publisher..Our results support a role for visfatin in the detection of subjects with many metabolic abnormalities, which result in increased CVD risk. ..
- Mitsionis G, Lykissas M, Motsis E, Mitsiou D, Gkiatas I, Xenakis T, et al. Surgical management of posterior hip dislocations associated with posterior wall acetabular fracture: a study with a minimum follow-up of 15 years. J Orthop Trauma. 2012;26:460-5 pubmed publisher..Therapeutic Level IV. See Instructions for Authors for a complete description of levels of evidence. ..
- Christou G, Tellis C, Elisaf M, Tselepis A, Kiortsis D. The relationship between retinol-binding protein 4 and apolipoprotein B-containing lipoproteins is attenuated in patients with very high serum triglycerides: A pilot study. Hormones (Athens). 2016;15:99-105 pubmed publisher..The positive association between circulating RBP4 and ApoB-containing lipoproteins in a steady metabolic state, as well as during a hypocaloric diet, appears to be attenuated in patients with very high TG. ..
- Zagouri F, Kotoula V, Kouvatseas G, Sotiropoulou M, Koletsa T, Gavressea T, et al. Protein expression patterns of cell cycle regulators in operable breast cancer. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0180489 pubmed publisher..0%, 79.1%, 67.4% and OS 88.4%, 90.4%, 78.9%, respectively. It seems that the expression of cell cycle regulators in the absence of p53 protein is associated with favorable prognosis in operable breast cancer. ..
- Makrydimas G, Papanikolaou E, Paraskevaidis E, Paschopoulos M, Lolis D. Upper limb abnormalities as an isolated ultrasonographic finding in early detection of trisomy 18. A case report. Fetal Diagn Ther. 2003;18:401-3 pubmed..This case demonstrates the need for thorough ultrasound evaluation of the fetal hands, as early as possible, because upper limb deformities can be the only abnormality of trisomy 18...
- Assimakopoulos D, Patrikakos G, Fotika C, Elisaf M. Benign migratory glossitis or geographic tongue: an enigmatic oral lesion. Am J Med. 2002;113:751-5 pubmed..The disorder is characterized by exacerbations and remissions. In most cases, patients do not require treatment other than reassurance about the benign nature of the disorder. ..
- Milionis H, Rizos E, Liamis G, Nikas S, Siamopoulos K, Elisaf M. Acid-base and electrolyte disturbances in patients with hypercalcemia. South Med J. 2002;95:1280-7 pubmed..A wide array of concurrent acid-base and electrolyte disorders may be evident in hypercalcemic patients. Differences in these laboratory parameters are helpful in diagnostic workup. ..
- Aspiotis M, Asproudis I, Stefaniotou M, Gorezis S, Psilas K. Artisan aphakic intraocular lens implantation in cases of subluxated crystalline lenses due to Marfan syndrome. J Refract Surg. 2006;22:99-101 pubmed..In seven eyes with a subluxated crystalline lens due to Marfan syndrome, implantation of an Artisan aphakic IOL improved visual acuity while preserving anterior chamber status. ..
- Tzovaras V, Chatzikyriakidou A, Bairaktari E, Liberopoulos E, Georgiou I, Elisaf M. Absence of SLC22A12 gene mutations in Greek Caucasian patients with primary renal hypouricaemia. Scand J Clin Lab Invest. 2007;67:589-95 pubmed..No mutation was found--only the previously reported silent polymorphism 1246T > C (His 42His) in exon 2 of the SLC22A12 gene. No previously reported mutation of URAT1 was associated with primary renal hypouricaemia in Greek subjects. ..
- Bolis V, Karadedos C, Chiotis I, Chaliasos N, Tsabouri S. Atypical manifestations of Epstein-Barr virus in children: a diagnostic challenge. J Pediatr (Rio J). 2016;92:113-21 pubmed publisher..Physicians should be cautious about uncommon presentations of the viral infection and consider EBV as a causative agent when they encounter similar clinical pictures. ..
- Varras M, Akrivis C, Hadjopoulos G, Antoniou N. Heterotopic pregnancy in a natural conception cycle presenting with tubal rupture: a case report and review of the literature. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 2003;106:79-82 pubmed..A healthy baby was delivered without complications at 40 weeks gestation. Heterotopic pregnancy is possible with natural conception and the survival of the intrauterine fetus is feasible. ..
- Ioannidis J, Vlachoyiannopoulos P, Haidich A, Medsger T, Lucas M, Michet C, et al. Mortality in systemic sclerosis: an international meta-analysis of individual patient data. Am J Med. 2005;118:2-10 pubmed..Systemic sclerosis confers a high mortality risk, but there is considerable heterogeneity across settings. Internal organ involvement and anti-topoisomerase I antibodies are important determinants of mortality. ..
- Papavasiliou E, Gouva C, Siamopoulos K, Tselepis A. PAF-acetylhydrolase activity in plasma of patients with chronic kidney disease. Effect of long-term therapy with erythropoietin. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2006;21:1270-7 pubmed..Long-term therapy with epoetin may improve this atherogenic ratio thus this drug may play an important antiatherogenic role in CKD. ..
- Hyphantis T, Antoniou K, Tomenson B, Tsianos E, Mavreas V, Creed F. Is the personality characteristic "impulsive sensation seeking" correlated to differences in current smoking between ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease patients?. Gen Hosp Psychiatry. 2010;32:57-65 pubmed publisher..ImpSS is associated with current smoking and nicotine dependence in IBD, and these associations are stronger in CD. These findings might be relevant to more effective interventions aiming at smoking cessation in CD patients. ..
- Hatzimichael E, Dasoula A, Benetatos L, Syed N, Dranitsaris G, Crook T, et al. Study of specific genetic and epigenetic variables in multiple myeloma. Leuk Lymphoma. 2010;51:2270-4 pubmed publisher..Further evaluation in a larger sample of patients is needed in order to better define the prognostic and clinical value, if any, of MTHFR 1298 polymorphisms and CDKN2A and Snk/Plk2 methylation in the pathogenesis of MM. ..
- Kouri I, Papakonstantinou S, Bempes V, Vasiliadis H, Kyritsis A, Pelidou S. HLA associations with multiple sclerosis in Greece. J Neurol Sci. 2011;308:28-31 pubmed publisher..This is the first study to investigate genetic susceptibility to MS in Greece. Our results are in line with previous reports in North European and North American patients. ..
- Saougou I, Markatseli T, Papagoras C, Kaltsonoudis E, Voulgari P, Drosos A. Fertility in male patients with seronegative spondyloarthropathies treated with infliximab. Joint Bone Spine. 2013;80:34-7 pubmed publisher..The data designated in this report provide some supportive evidence for the safe use of infliximab in male patients who are affected of those inflammatory diseases during their peak reproductive years. ..
- Kyzas P, Stefanou D, Batistatou A, Agnantis N. Hypoxia-induced tumor angiogenic pathway in head and neck cancer: an in vivo study. Cancer Lett. 2005;225:297-304 pubmed..These findings support the hypothesis that tumor angiogenesis is close related, but not strictly dependent, on the hypoxic conditions of tumor's microenvironment. ..
- Giannopoulos S, Markoula S, Kosmidou M, Pelidou S, Kyritsis A. Lateral medullary ischaemic events in young adults with hypoplastic vertebral artery. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2007;78:987-9 pubmed..Thus although a hypoplastic VA may not be an uncommon asymptomatic finding, it may contribute to stroke if additional risk factors are present. ..
- Kastanioudakis I, Exarchakos G, Ziavra N, Skevas A. Permanent bilateral acoustic trauma due to air bag deployment in a young female adult. J Laryngol Otol. 2003;117:138-40 pubmed..We report the acoustic trauma incurred by a young female driver who was a heavy smoker as a consequence of air-bag deployment in a low speed RTA and the sparing of her child seated in the rear. ..
- Mitselou A, Ioachim E, Kitsou E, Vougiouklakis T, Zagorianakou N, Makrydimas G, et al. Immunohistochemical study of apoptosis-related Bcl-2 protein and its correlation with proliferation indices (Ki67, PCNA), tumor suppressor genes (p53, pRb), the oncogene c-erbB-2, sex steroid hormone receptors and other clinicopathological features, . In Vivo. 2003;17:469-77 pubmed..These results indicate that bcl-2 expression may play a role in the inhibition of apoptosis in endometrial carcinoma and its expression seems to be associated with tumor differentiation and cell proliferation. ..
- Karavasilis V, Malamou Mitsi V, Briasoulis E, Tsanou E, Kitsou E, Kalofonos H, et al. Matrix metalloproteinases in carcinoma of unknown primary. Cancer. 2005;104:2282-7 pubmed..No other associations were detected. MMP-2, MMP-9, and TIMP-1 are widely expressed in CUP, suggesting an essential role of proteolysis in these tumors. TIMP-1 may be considered a possible marker of poor prognosis in CUP patients. ..
- Matsagas M, Bali C, Arnaoutoglou E, Papakostas J, Nassis C, Papadopoulos G, et al. Carotid endarterectomy with bovine pericardium patch angioplasty: mid-term results. Ann Vasc Surg. 2006;20:614-9 pubmed..Patch angioplasty of the carotid artery using BP showed unwittingly early and mid-term surgical outcome. Our results demonstrate the BP to be a suitable patch material for routine use in carotid surgery. ..
- Kalambokis G, Korantzopoulos P, Nikas S, Theodorou A, Tsianos E. Significant improvement of portopulmonary hypertension after 1-week terlipressin treatment. J Hepatol. 2008;48:678-80 pubmed publisher..Terlipressin could be a novel and safe treatment for portopulmonary hypertension. ..
- Zonios G, Dimou A. Light scattering spectroscopy of human skin in vivo. Opt Express. 2009;17:1256-67 pubmed..Finally, we also provide a short review of previously published studies reporting on the light scattering properties of human skin both in vivo and in vitro. ..
- Xita N, Lazaros L, Georgiou I, Tsatsoulis A. CYP19 gene: a genetic modifier of polycystic ovary syndrome phenotype. Fertil Steril. 2010;94:250-4 pubmed publisher..The presence of short CYP19(TTTA)n alleles may contribute to prenatal androgenization programming the development of PCOS phenotype in adult life. ..
- Tsamis K, Mytilinaios D, Njau S, Baloyannis S. Glutamate receptors in human caudate nucleus in normal aging and Alzheimer's disease. Curr Alzheimer Res. 2013;10:469-75 pubmed
- Xita N, Georgiou I, Chatzikyriakidou A, Vounatsou M, Papassotiriou G, Papassotiriou I, et al. Effect of adiponectin gene polymorphisms on circulating adiponectin and insulin resistance indexes in women with polycystic ovary syndrome. Clin Chem. 2005;51:416-23 pubmed..However, these genomic variants may influence production of adiponectin and the metabolic variables related to insulin resistance/metabolic syndrome in patients with PCOS. ..
- Avdikou I, Maipa V, Alamanos Y. Epidemiology of human brucellosis in a defined area of Northwestern Greece. Epidemiol Infect. 2005;133:905-10 pubmed
- Karavasilis V, Malamou Mitsi V, Briasoulis E, Tsanou E, Kitsou E, Pavlidis N. Clinicopathologic study of vascular endothelial growth factor, thrombospondin-1, and microvessel density assessed by CD34 in patients with stage III ovarian carcinoma. Int J Gynecol Cancer. 2006;16 Suppl 1:241-6 pubmed..36 months, P= 0.1). Proangiogenetic factor VEGF is highly expressed in advanced-stage ovarian carcinomas. The findings of this study may offer support for considering VEGF-targeted therapeutics in ovarian cancer treatment research. ..
- Lazaros L, Hatzi E, Bouba I, Paraskevaidis E, Georgiou I. Non-invasive prenatal detection of paternal origin hb lepore in a male fetus at the 7th week of gestation. Fetal Diagn Ther. 2006;21:506-9 pubmed..Conventional polymerase chain reaction analysis of cell-free fetal DNA can be used to determine fetal gender and paternal Hb Lepore as early as the 7th week of pregnancy. ..
- Kontogeorgakos V, Xenakis T, Papachristou D, Korompilias A, Kanellopoulos A, Beris A, et al. Cortical desmoid and the four clinical scenarios. Arch Orthop Trauma Surg. 2009;129:779-85 pubmed publisher..Exact diagnosis is important in order to avoid unnecessary biopsy and complicated therapeutic strategies. ..
- Fountoulakis S, Vartholomatos G, Kolaitis N, Frillingos S, Philippou G, Tsatsoulis A. HLA-DR expressing peripheral T regulatory cells in newly diagnosed patients with different forms of autoimmune thyroid disease. Thyroid. 2008;18:1195-200 pubmed publisher..In HT patients there is a quantitative increase of CD4 + CD25highHLA-DR + cells that may indicate a compensatory expansion of this subpopulation of Tregs in an attempt to suppress the immune response. ..
- Voulgaris S, Alexiou G, Zigouris A, Fotakopoulos G, Michos E, Katsiafas I, et al. Spinal ependymomas: prognostic factors and treatment results. J Cancer Res Ther. 2013;9:60-3 pubmed publisher..Early intervention and gross total resection of spinal ependymomas are associated with a favorable outcome. Further studies are needed to clarify the incidence of the development of a second cancer in these patients. ..
- Galani V, Constantopoulos S, Manda Stachouli C, Frangou Lazaridis M, Mavridis A, Vassiliou M, et al. Additional proteins in BAL fluid of Metsovites environmentally exposed to asbestos: more evidence of "protection" against neoplasia?. Chest. 2002;121:273-8 pubmed
- Laspa E, Bastepe M, Juppner H, Tsatsoulis A. Phenotypic and molecular genetic aspects of pseudohypoparathyroidism type Ib in a Greek kindred: evidence for enhanced uric acid excretion due to parathyroid hormone resistance. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2004;89:5942-7 pubmed..Furthermore, affected individuals displayed hypouricemia with increased fractional excretion of uric acid, suggesting possible involvement of PTH in the renal handling of this metabolite. ..
- Hyphantis T, Tsifetaki N, Pappa C, Voulgari P, Siafaka V, Bai M, et al. Clinical features and personality traits associated with psychological distress in systemic sclerosis patients. J Psychosom Res. 2007;62:47-56 pubmed..Several clinical parameters are associated with distress, but the role of various personality traits could not be disregarded. Early psychiatric assessment and intervention could prevent psychological distress in SSc patients. ..
- Beris A, Lykissas M, Kontogeorgakos V, Vekris M, Korompilias A. Anatomic variations of the median nerve in carpal tunnel release. Clin Anat. 2008;21:514-8 pubmed publisher..Surgeons should be aware of anomalous branches, which should be recognized and separately decompressed if needed. ..
- Naka K, Kalantaridou S, Kravariti M, Bechlioulis A, Kazakos N, Calis K, et al. Effect of the insulin sensitizers metformin and pioglitazone on endothelial function in young women with polycystic ovary syndrome: a prospective randomized study. Fertil Steril. 2011;95:203-9 pubmed publisher..Further research is needed to investigate whether treatment with insulin sensitizers in women with PCOS also reduces cardiovascular risk. ..
- Saougou I, Markatseli T, Papagoras C, Voulgari P, Alamanos Y, Drosos A. Sustained clinical response in psoriatic arthritis patients treated with anti-TNF agents: a 5-year open-label observational cohort study. Semin Arthritis Rheum. 2011;40:398-406 pubmed publisher..All drugs were effective, safe, and well-tolerated. The clinical improvement was maintained through the 5 years with satisfying infliximab and adalimumab survival and high etanercept survival. ..
- Fotopoulos V, Tzinia A, Tzurbakis M, Kalfakakou V, Levidiotou Stefanou S, Georgoulis A. Expression levels of matrix metalloproteinase (MMP)-9 and its specific inhibitor TIMP-1, in septic and aseptic arthritis of the knee. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2012;20:1159-67 pubmed publisher..The presence of high levels of MMP-9 with concomitantly increased MMP-9/TIMP-1 ratio and activated gelatinases in effusions, independent of neutrophilic counts, may be indicative for infection. ..
- Lazaridis G, Pentheroudakis G, Fountzilas G, Pavlidis N. Liver metastases from cancer of unknown primary (CUPL): a retrospective analysis of presentation, management and prognosis in 49 patients and systematic review of the literature. Cancer Treat Rev. 2008;34:693-700 pubmed publisher..Patients with liver metastases from CUP are resistant to conventional types of treatment and carry a poor prognosis. Understanding the molecular biology of CUP is essential for the development of new, targeted effective therapies. ..
- Pentheroudakis G, Lazaridis G, Pavlidis N. Axillary nodal metastases from carcinoma of unknown primary (CUPAx): a systematic review of published evidence. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2010;119:1-11 pubmed publisher..CUPAx is associated with similar presentation, biology and outcome to resected node-positive overt breast cancer and should be treated accordingly. ..
- Kitsos G, Detorakis E, Papakonstantinou S, Kyritsis A, Pelidou S. Perimetric and peri-papillary nerve fibre layer thickness findings in multiple sclerosis. Eur J Neurol. 2011;18:719-25 pubmed publisher..Blue-on-yellow perimetry may be advantageous over white-on-white perimetry in evaluating MS-associated functional defects. ..
- Tambakis C, Papadopoulos G, Sergentanis T, Lagos N, Arnaoutoglou E, Labropoulos N, et al. Cerebral oximetry and stump pressure as indicators for shunting during carotid endarterectomy: comparative evaluation. Vascular. 2011;19:187-94 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, cerebral oximety reflects sufficiently cerebral oxygenation during CEA compared with SP, providing a useful mean for cerebral monitoring. ..
- Mitselou A, Galani V, Skoufi U, Arvanitis D, Lampri E, Ioachim E. Syndecan-1, Epithelial-Mesenchymal Transition Markers (E-cadherin/?-catenin) and Neoangiogenesis-related Proteins (PCAM-1 and Endoglin) in Colorectal Cancer. Anticancer Res. 2016;36:2271-80 pubmed..Further studies are needed to clarify the interaction between these proteins and tumor initiation and progression. ..
- Argyropoulou M, Kiortsis D, Efremidis S. MRI of the liver and the pituitary gland in patients with beta-thalassemia major: does hepatic siderosis predict pituitary iron deposition?. Eur Radiol. 2003;13:12-6 pubmed..Hepatic iron overload evaluated by MR is a poor predictor of pituitary siderosis. The MR studies of the pituitary gland might be necessary to evaluate the pituitary iron overload. ..
- Drossos G, Toumpoulis I, Katritsis D, Ioannidis J, Kontogiorgi P, Svarna E, et al. Is vitamin C superior to diltiazem for radial artery vasodilation in patients awaiting coronary artery bypass grafting?. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2003;125:330-5 pubmed..001), and smoking history (+20.8%, P =.017). Vitamin C is a potent acute vasodilator in both smokers and nonsmokers and is superior to diltiazem in preoperative coronary patients who need protection from vasospasm of the radial conduit. ..
- Korkontzelos I, Papanicolaou S, Tsimoyiannis I, Kitsiou E, Stefos T, Tsanadis G, et al. Large carcinoid tumor of the appendix during pregnancy. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 2005;118:255-7 pubmed..The appendicial carcinoid tumor is a lesion that most frequently is discovered incidentally in the removed organ. We report a rare case of an unruptured acute appendicitis during pregnancy, which proved to be a large carcinoid tumor. ..
- Zagorianakou N, Stefanou D, Makrydimas G, Zagorianakou P, Briasoulis E, Karavasilis V, et al. Clinicopathological study of metallothionein immunohistochemical expression, in benign, borderline and malignant ovarian epithelial tumors. Histol Histopathol. 2006;21:341-7 pubmed publisher..MT constitutes a marker that characterizes aggressiveness and a high malignant potential in ovarian epithelial tumors. In diagnostic problems MT may help distinguish between benign, borderline and malignant tumors. ..
- Mitsionis G, Lykissas M, Kalos N, Paschos N, Beris A, Georgoulis A, et al. Functional outcome after excision of heterotopic ossification about the knee in ICU patients. Int Orthop. 2009;33:1619-25 pubmed publisher..Postoperatively, ambulation in eight patients (57%) was remarkably superior. In conclusion, resection of heterotopic ossification may significantly improve the range of movement in the knee joint, sitting ability, and overall ambulation...
- Lazaros L, Xita N, Hatzi E, Kaponis A, Stefos T, Plachouras N, et al. Association of paraoxonase gene polymorphisms with sperm parameters. J Androl. 2011;32:394-401 pubmed publisher..001). In our series, the PON1 55M and PON1 192R alleles were associated with decreased sperm motility whereas the PON2 311C allele was associated with decreased concentration, supporting the significance of PON genes in semen quality...
- Christou G, Tellis K, Elisaf M, Tselepis A, Kiortsis D. High density lipoprotein is positively correlated with the changes in circulating total adiponectin and high molecular weight adiponectin during dietary and fenofibrate treatment. Hormones (Athens). 2012;11:178-88 pubmed..594, p=0.012). HDL is positively correlated with the changes in circulating adiponectin during dietary and fenofibrate treatment. ..
- Bougea A, Spantideas N, Anagnostou E, Massou E, Xirou S, Thomaidis T, et al. Understanding of headache patterns modification in an emergency department during the economic crisis of Greece. Neurol Sci. 2016;37:1233-9 pubmed publisher..tension type headache [odds ratio (OR) 0.13; 95 % confidence interval (CI) 0.03, 0.7]. This is the first study showing that the prolonged economic crisis affected headache frequency accompanied by a higher use of analgesics. ..
- Ristanis S, Giakas G, Papageorgiou C, Moraiti T, Stergiou N, Georgoulis A. The effects of anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction on tibial rotation during pivoting after descending stairs. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2003;11:360-5 pubmed..Therefore ACL reconstruction may not restore tibial rotation even though anterior tibial translation has been reestablished. ..
- Andrikos E, Tseke P, Balafa O, Pappas M. Five-year survival in comparable HD and PD patients: one center's experience. Int J Artif Organs. 2008;31:737-41 pubmed..Therefore we suggest that, when possible, PD and HD should be equally offered to all ESRD patients...
- Bozidis P, Hyphantis T, Mantas C, Sotiropoulou M, Antypa N, Andreoulakis E, et al. HSP70 polymorphisms in first psychotic episode drug-naïve schizophrenic patients. Life Sci. 2014;100:133-7 pubmed publisher..Present findings indicate a role of HSP8A in FEP and underline the importance of including personality traits in the study of the factors associated with the development of schizophrenia. ..
- Georgoulis A, Papageorgiou C, Moebius U, Rossis J, Papadonikolakis A, Soucacos P. The diagnostic dilemma created by osteoid osteoma that presents as knee pain. Arthroscopy. 2002;18:32-7 pubmed..The objective of our study was to illustrate the difficulties in diagnosis of osteoid osteoma in patients presenting with atypical knee pain...
- Tsimihodimos V, Karabina S, Tambaki A, Bairaktari E, Miltiadous G, Goudevenos J, et al. Altered distribution of platelet-activating factor- acetylhydrolase activity between LDL and HDL as a function of the severity of hypercholesterolemia. J Lipid Res. 2002;43:256-63 pubmed..Thus, the ratio of HDL-associated PAF-AH-total plasma enzyme activity may be useful as a potential marker of atherogenicity in subjects with primary hypercholesterolemia. ..
- Karavasilis V, Malamou Mitsi V, Briasoulis E, Tsanou E, Kitsou E, Kalofonos H, et al. Angiogenesis in cancer of unknown primary: clinicopathological study of CD34, VEGF and TSP-1. BMC Cancer. 2005;5:25 pubmed..Angiogenesis is very active and expression of VEGF is almost universal in cancers of unknown primary. These findings support the clinical investigation of VEGF targeted therapy in this clinical setting. ..
- Ioachim E, Michael M, Salmas M, Damala K, Tsanou E, Michael M, et al. Thrombospondin-1 expression in urothelial carcinoma: prognostic significance and association with p53 alterations, tumour angiogenesis and extracellular matrix components. BMC Cancer. 2006;6:140 pubmed..In addition, the correlation of stromal TSP-1 expression with extracellular matrix components fibronectin and tenascin indicate its possible implication in tumour stroma remodeling. ..
- Mitselou A, Ioachim E, Peschos D, Charalabopoulos K, Michael M, Agnantis N, et al. E-cadherin adhesion molecule and syndecan-1 expression in various thyroid pathologies. Exp Oncol. 2007;29:54-60 pubmed..0037; and E-cadherin: p = 0.075). Decreased E-cadherin and syndecan-1 expression along with decreasing cellular differentiation may be involved in the complex mechanism of progression of TG pathology. ..
- Briasoulis E, Fountzilas G, Bamias A, Dimopoulos M, Xiros N, Aravantinos G, et al. Multicenter phase-II trial of irinotecan plus oxaliplatin [IROX regimen] in patients with poor-prognosis cancer of unknown primary: a hellenic cooperative oncology group study. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol. 2008;62:277-84 pubmed..We evaluated the irinotecan-oxaliplatin combination (IROX regimen) in previously untreated patients with non-favorable subsets of unknown primary carcinomas...
- Xita N, Georgiou I, Lazaros L, Psofaki V, Kolios G, Tsatsoulis A. The role of sex hormone-binding globulin and androgen receptor gene variants in the development of polycystic ovary syndrome. Hum Reprod. 2008;23:693-8 pubmed publisher..This combined genotype may contribute to 'fetal programming' of PCOS. ..
- Tsimoyiannis E, Tsimogiannis K, Pappas Gogos G, Nikas K, Karfis E, Sioziou H. Seroma and recurrence in laparoscopic ventral hernioplasty. JSLS. 2008;12:51-7 pubmed..The aim of this study was to investigate the events, what caused recurrences, and the technique to prevent recurrence in laparoscopic ventral hernioplasty...
- Founta C, Arbyn M, Valasoulis G, Kyrgiou M, Tsili A, Martin Hirsch P, et al. Proportion of excision and cervical healing after large loop excision of the transformation zone for cervical intraepithelial neoplasia. BJOG. 2010;117:1468-74 pubmed publisher..To determine how the proportion of the cervical volume excised affects cervical regeneration...
- Baxevanos G, Tzimas T, Pappas G, Akritidis N. A series of 22 patients with adult-onset Still's disease presenting with fever of unknown origin. A difficult diagnosis?. Clin Rheumatol. 2012;31:49-53 pubmed publisher..The finding of high levels of D-dimers in AOSD needs further studies...
- Margariti P, Astrakas L, Tsouli S, Hadjigeorgiou G, Konitsiotis S, Argyropoulou M. Investigation of unmedicated early onset restless legs syndrome by voxel-based morphometry, T2 relaxometry, and functional MR imaging during the night-time hours. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2012;33:667-72 pubmed publisher..The pathophysiology of eRLS has not yet been elucidated. The purpose of the study was to assess, in patients with eRLS, the volume, iron content, and activation of the brain during night-time episodes of SLD and PLMs...