Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on middle aged in Thessaloníki, Central Macedonia, Greece
Locale: Thessaloníki, Central Macedonia, Greece
Topic: middle aged
Publications251 found, 100 shown here
- Zagouri F, Kotoula V, Kouvatseas G, Sotiropoulou M, Koletsa T, Gavressea T, et al. Protein expression patterns of cell cycle regulators in operable breast cancer. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0180489 pubmed publisher..0%, 79.1%, 67.4% and OS 88.4%, 90.4%, 78.9%, respectively. It seems that the expression of cell cycle regulators in the absence of p53 protein is associated with favorable prognosis in operable breast cancer. ..
- Ioannides P, Karacostas D, Hatzipantazi M, Ioannis M. Primary progressive aphasia as the initial manifestation of corticobasal degeneration. A "three in one " syndrome?. Funct Neurol. 2005;20:135-7 pubmed..The results of neuroimaging studies and neuropsychological tests, along with the clinical evolution, finally led us to the ?three in one? diagnosis, supporting the concept of Pick complex. ..
- Christodoulou A, Givissis P, Karataglis D, Symeonidis P, Pournaras J. Treatment of tuberculous spondylitis with anterior stabilization and titanium cage. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2006;444:60-5 pubmed..Therapeutic study. Level IV (case series). Please see Guidelines for Authors for a complete description of levels of evidence. ..
- Katodritou E, Terpos E, Zervas K, Speletas M, Kapetanos D, Kartsios C, et al. Hypochromic erythrocytes (%): a reliable marker for recognizing iron-restricted erythropoiesis and predicting response to erythropoietin in anemic patients with myeloma and lymphoma. Ann Hematol. 2007;86:369-76 pubmed..Additionally, HYPO% has proved a reliable marker for recognizing IRE before rHuEPO treatment and, thus, could be used for identifying patients who will benefit from IV iron supplementation. ..
- Ananiadou O, Karaiskos T, Givissis P, Drossos G. Operative stabilization of skeletal chest injuries secondary to cardiopulmonary resuscitation in a cardiac surgical patient. Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg. 2010;10:478-80 pubmed publisher..Sternal instability after cardiac surgery occurs infrequently but can be challenging to manage. Titanium plate fixation is an effective method to stabilize complicated flail chest, with clinical utility in a cardiothoracic practice...
- Konstas A, Mikropoulos D, Embeslidis T, Dimopoulos A, Papanastasiou A, Haidich A, et al. 24-h Intraocular pressure control with evening-dosed travoprost/timolol, compared with latanoprost/timolol, fixed combinations in exfoliative glaucoma. Eye (Lond). 2010;24:1606-13 pubmed publisher..To evaluate 24-h efficacy of travoprost/timolol fixed combination (TTFC) vslatanoprost/timolol fixed combination (LTFC) in exfoliative glaucoma (XFG)...
- Koliaki C, Messini C, Tsolaki M. Clinical efficacy of aniracetam, either as monotherapy or combined with cholinesterase inhibitors, in patients with cognitive impairment: a comparative open study. CNS Neurosci Ther. 2012;18:302-12 pubmed publisher..It preserved all neuropsychological parameters for at least 12 months, and seemed to exert a favorable effect on emotional stability of demented patients. ..
- Tsiaousidou A, Lambropoulou M, Chatzitheoklitos E, Tripsianis G, Tsompanidou C, Simopoulos C, et al. B7H4, HSP27 and DJ-1 molecular markers as prognostic factors in pancreatic cancer. Pancreatology. 2013;13:564-9 pubmed publisher..B7H4, DJ-1 and HSP27 may be used in the future as prognostic markers that express resistance of pancreatic cancer patients to chemotherapy with gemcitabine. ..
- Zugor V, Kuhn R, Engelhard K, Poth S, Bernat M, Porres D, et al. The Value of Endorectal Magnetic Resonance Imaging of the Prostate in Improving the Detection of Anterior Prostate Cancer. Anticancer Res. 2016;36:4279-83 pubmed
- Papa A, Christova I, Papadimitriou E, Antoniadis A. Crimean-Congo hemorrhagic fever in Bulgaria. Emerg Infect Dis. 2004;10:1465-7 pubmed..We report the epidemiologic characteristics of Crimean-Congo hemorrhagic fever in Bulgaria, as well as the first genetic characterization of the virus strains circulating in the country in 2002 to 2003 that caused disease in humans...
- Dimitrakopoulos I, Psomaderis K, Asimaki A, Papaemanouel S, Karakasis D. Primary de novo intraosseous carcinoma: report of two cases. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2005;63:1227-30 pubmed
- Dionyssopoulos A, Mandekou Lefaki I, Vakirlis E, Manoliadis I, Nikolis A, Dionyssopoulou E. Extramammary Paget's disease: isolated localization on the groin--wide local excision with immediate reconstruction. Ann Surg Oncol. 2006;13:1235-40 pubmed..Paget's disease of the groin has an extremely low incidence. Various treatments are described in the literature, early wide local excision may be the treatment of choice. ..
- Boukovinas I, Androulakis N, Vamvakas L, Papakotoulas P, Ziras N, Polyzos A, et al. Sequential gemcitabine and cisplatin followed by docetaxel as first-line treatment of advanced urothelial carcinoma: a multicenter phase II study of the Hellenic Oncology Research Group. Ann Oncol. 2006;17:1687-92 pubmed..5-40.5 months), and the 1-year survival rate 55.3%. The sequential administration of GP followed by D is active and well tolerated as first-line treatment of advanced urothelial carcinoma and merits to be further evaluated. ..
- Kalinderi K, Fidani L, Katsarou Z, Clarimon J, Bostantjopoulou S, Kotsis A. GSK3? polymorphisms, MAPT H1 haplotype and Parkinson's disease in a Greek cohort. Neurobiol Aging. 2011;32:546.e1-5 pubmed publisher..Haplotype analysis revealed that, the T-T haplotype of both GSK3? polymorphisms was over-represented in PD patients compared to controls, and this association was independent of MAPT H1 haplotype. ..
- Papavramidis T, Pliakos I, Charpidou D, Petalotis G, Kollaras P, Sapalidis K, et al. Management of an extrasphincteric fistula in an HIV-positive patient by using fibrin glue: a case report with tips and tricks. BMC Gastroenterol. 2010;10:18 pubmed publisher..Not everybody believes in the effectiveness of fibrin glue application, however we consider this solution in cases of complex fistulas at least as primary procedure in special populations such as the immunosupressed. ..
- Kyrgidis A, Tzellos T, Kechagias N, Patrikidou A, Xirou P, Kitikidou K, et al. Cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma (SCC) of the head and neck: risk factors of overall and recurrence-free survival. Eur J Cancer. 2010;46:1563-72 pubmed publisher..After excision in negative margins, patients with HNCSCC should be referred to specialised multidisciplinary oncology clinics for counselling on adjuvant radiotherapy and follow-up. ..
- Athyros V, Tziomalos K, Gossios T, Griva T, Anagnostis P, Kargiotis K, et al. Safety and efficacy of long-term statin treatment for cardiovascular events in patients with coronary heart disease and abnormal liver tests in the Greek Atorvastatin and Coronary Heart Disease Evaluation (GREACE) Study: a post-hoc analysis. Lancet. 2010;376:1916-22 pubmed publisher..Statin treatment is safe and can improve liver tests and reduce cardiovascular morbidity in patients with mild-to-moderately abnormal liver tests that are potentially attributable to non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. None. ..
- Ioannidis K, Lambrianidis T, Beltes P, Besi E, Malliari M. Endodontic management and cone-beam computed tomography evaluation of seven maxillary and mandibular molars with single roots and single canals in a patient. J Endod. 2011;37:103-9 pubmed publisher..The availability of 3-dimensional images further provided the opportunity for the precise description of the anatomy of 7 maxillary and mandibular molars with single roots and single canals. ..
- Polyzos S, Anastasilakis A, Bratengeier C, Woloszczuk W, Papatheodorou A, Terpos E. Serum sclerostin levels positively correlate with lumbar spinal bone mineral density in postmenopausal women--the six-month effect of risedronate and teriparatide. Osteoporos Int. 2012;23:1171-6 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, serum sclerostin was increased after 6 months treatment with RIS, whereas remained essentially unchanged after 6 months TPTD treatment. ..
- Athyros V, Ganotakis E, Kolovou G, Nicolaou V, Achimastos A, Bilianou E, et al. Assessing the treatment effect in metabolic syndrome without perceptible diabetes (ATTEMPT): a prospective-randomized study in middle aged men and women. Curr Vasc Pharmacol. 2011;9:647-57 pubmed..Actual CVD events were negligible, suggesting that e-CVD risk overestimates actual CVD risk in MetS, at least in patients achieving LDL-C < 100 mg/dl [ClinicalTrials.gov ID: NCT00416741]. ..
- Michalopoulos N, Papavramidis T, Karayannopoulou G, Cheva A, Pliakos I, Triantafilopoulou K, et al. Cervical thymic cysts in adults. Thyroid. 2011;21:987-92 pubmed publisher..The existence of normal thymus gland in the mediastinum should be confirmed intraoperatively, but this is not critical in adult patients. A CTC should be included in the differential diagnosis of cervical cystic masses. ..
- Fragakis N, Antoniadis A, Geleris P. A case of exhaustion of implantable cardioverter defibrillator therapies due to inappropriate programming. Hellenic J Cardiol. 2011;52:354-6 pubmed..In this case, the inappropriate setting for VF detection in addition to the limited flexibility in device programming for tachycardia confirmation led to the rapid exhaustion of all available shock therapies. ..
- Kopsachilis N, Tsaousis K, Tourtas T, Tsinopoulos I. Severe chronic blepharitis and scarring ectropion associated with discoid lupus erythematosus. Clin Exp Optom. 2013;96:124-5 pubmed publisher..The eyelid inflammation decreased but severe scarring of the marginal eyelids persisted, resulting in cicatricial ectropion...
- Korantzis I, Kalogeras K, Papaxoinis G, Kotoula V, Koutras A, Soupos N, et al. Expression of angiogenic markers in the peripheral blood of patients with advanced breast cancer treated with weekly docetaxel. Anticancer Res. 2012;32:4569-80 pubmed
- Konstantinidis I, Tsakiropoulou E, Bekiaridou P, Kazantzidou C, Constantinidis J. Use of olfactory training in post-traumatic and postinfectious olfactory dysfunction. Laryngoscope. 2013;123:E85-90 pubmed publisher..The present study suggests that a 16-week short-term exposure to specific odors may increase olfactory sensitivity in patients with postinfectious and post-traumatic olfactory dysfunction. ..
- Papadopoulos K, Montgomery A, Chronopoulou E. The impact of visual impairments in self-esteem and locus of control. Res Dev Disabil. 2013;34:4565-70 pubmed publisher..Significant predictors of LOC were vision status and independent movement. Findings are discussed with regard to their implications for parents, social workers, teachers, and rehabilitation specialists. ..
- Mendez M, Chouvarda I, Alba A, Bianchi A, Grassi A, Arce Santana E, et al. Analysis of A-phase transitions during the cyclic alternating pattern under normal sleep. Med Biol Eng Comput. 2016;54:133-48 pubmed publisher..The main characteristics for automatic separation between the onset-offset A-phase and the B-phase are the energy at the different frequency bands. ..
- Vikelis M, Argyriou A, Dermitzakis E, Spingos K, Mitsikostas D. Onabotulinumtoxin-A treatment in Greek patients with chronic migraine. J Headache Pain. 2016;17:84 pubmed publisher..Adverse events were few and of non- serious nature. Our results strongly support the use of onabotulinumtoxin-A for the prophylaxis of CM, as this intervention proved effective, safe and well tolerated in our cohort of Greek patients. ..
- Sinakos E, Kountouras D, Koskinas J, Zachou K, Karatapanis S, Triantos C, et al. Treatment of chronic hepatitis C with direct-acting antivirals in patients with Î²-thalassaemia major and advanced liver disease. Br J Haematol. 2017;178:130-136 pubmed publisher..Approximately half of the patients who received RBV (7/16, 44%) had increased needs for blood transfusion. Treatment of CHC with DAAs in patients with Î²-TM and advanced liver disease was highly effective and safe. ..
- Tzikas S, Palapies L, Bakogiannis C, Zeller T, Sinning C, Baldus S, et al. GDF-15 predicts cardiovascular events in acute chest pain patients. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0182314 pubmed publisher..GDF-15 levels correlate with the severity of CAD and can identify and risk-stratify patients who need coronary revascularization. ..
- Hatzichristou D, Apostolidis A, Tzortzis V, Hatzimouratidis K, Ioannides E, Yannakoyorgos K. Glansectomy: an alternative surgical treatment for Buschke-Löwenstein tumors of the penis. Urology. 2001;57:966-9 pubmed..Glansectomy may be considered the treatment of choice in patients with Buschke-Löwenstein tumors of the penis, with more radical techniques reserved for second-line treatment. ..
- Asteri T, Tsagaropoulou I, Vasiliadis K, Fessatidis I, Papavasi Liou E, Spyrou P. Beware Swan-Ganz complications. Perioperative management. J Cardiovasc Surg (Torino). 2002;43:467-70 pubmed..This serious cardiac complication was developed during the floatation of the PAC and the lesion was repaired while the mitral valve replacement was in progress. ..
- Papagianni A, Kokolina E, Kalovoulos M, Vainas A, Dimitriadis C, Memmos D. Carotid atherosclerosis is associated with inflammation, malnutrition and intercellular adhesion molecule-1 in patients on continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysis. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2004;19:1258-63 pubmed..Hypoalbuminaemia and ICAM-1 appear independently related with atherogenesis but the mechanisms supporting these associations remain to be identified. ..
- Ballas K, Psarras K, Rafailidis S, Konstantinidis H, Sakadamis A. Interdigital pilonidal sinus in a hairdresser. J Hand Surg Br. 2006;31:290-1 pubmed..This paper reports such a sinus in the hand of a male hairdresser and reviews the treatment of this condition...
- Triantafillidou K, Zouloumis L, Karakinaris G, Kalimeras E, Iordanidis F. Brown tumors of the jaws associated with primary or secondary hyperparathyroidism. A clinical study and review of the literature. Am J Otolaryngol. 2006;27:281-6 pubmed..The aim of this article is to present the development of brown tumors in the jaws as a definite feature of hyperparathyroidism (HPT), whether primary or secondary...
- Katsinelos P, Kountouras J, Paroutoglou G, Chatzimavroudis G, Germanidis G, Zavos C, et al. A comparative study of 10-Fr vs. 7-Fr straight plastic stents in the treatment of postcholecystectomy bile leak. Surg Endosc. 2008;22:101-6 pubmed
- Nanassis K, Tsitsopoulos P, Marinopoulos D, Mintelis A, Tsitsopoulos P. Lumbar spinal epidural angiolipoma. J Clin Neurosci. 2008;15:460-3 pubmed publisher..The pathological examination indicated haemangiolipoma. Post-operatively, the patient's neurological signs and symptoms improved remarkably quickly. MRI at 6 and 18 months after surgery revealed no evidence of tumour recurrence...
- Papakonstantinou E, Kouri F, Karakiulakis G, Klagas I, Eickelberg O. Increased hyaluronic acid content in idiopathic pulmonary arterial hypertension. Eur Respir J. 2008;32:1504-12 pubmed publisher..Synergistic regulation of glycosaminoglycan-metabolising enzymes in favour of accumulation may, thus, regulate pathological vascular remodelling in idiopathic pulmonary arterial hypertension lungs. ..
- Konstas A, Tsironi S, Vakalis A, Nasr M, Stewart J, Nelson L, et al. Intraocular pressure control over 24 hours using travoprost and timolol fixed combination administered in the morning or evening in primary open-angle and exfoliative glaucoma. Acta Ophthalmol. 2009;87:71-6 pubmed publisher..To evaluate intraocular pressure (IOP) control over 24 hours using travoprost and timolol fixed combination (TTFC) administered in the morning or evening in primary open-angle and exfoliative glaucoma...
- Garyfallos G, Katsigiannopoulos K, Adamopoulou A, Papazisis G, Karastergiou A, Bozikas V. Comorbidity of obsessive-compulsive disorder with obsessive-compulsive personality disorder: Does it imply a specific subtype of obsessive-compulsive disorder?. Psychiatry Res. 2010;177:156-60 pubmed publisher..These findings in conjunction with of current clinical, family and genetic studies provide some initial evidence that OCD comorbid with OCPD constitute a specific subtype of OCD. ..
- Giannoglou G, Antoniadis A, Chatzizisis Y, Louridas G. Difference in the topography of atherosclerosis in the left versus right coronary artery in patients referred for coronary angiography. BMC Cardiovasc Disord. 2010;10:26 pubmed publisher..LCA-only disease is more frequent than RCA-only disease. Men have a higher probability than women to present with concomitant RCA and LCA disease while women are more likely than men to be found with LCA-only disease. ..
- Paliobei V, Psillas G, Mikropoulos D, Haidich A, Constantinidis J, Konstas A. Hearing Evaluation in Patients with Exfoliative and Primary Open-Angle Glaucoma. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2011;145:125-30 pubmed publisher..The aim of this prospective study was to audiologically evaluate consecutive glaucoma patients with or without exfoliation...
- Georgianos P, Sarafidis P, Malindretos P, Nikolaidis P, Lasaridis A. Hemodialysis reduces augmentation index but not aortic or brachial pulse wave velocity in dialysis-requiring patients. Am J Nephrol. 2011;34:407-14 pubmed publisher..This dissociation between effects of hemodialysis on PWV and AIx(75) may reflect differential impact on large and small branches of the arterial tree. ..
- Athyros V, Elisaf M, Alexandrides T, Achimastos A, Ganotakis E, Bilianou E, et al. Long-term impact of multifactorial treatment on new-onset diabetes and related cardiovascular events in metabolic syndrome: a post hoc ATTEMPT analysis. Angiology. 2012;63:358-66 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that treating the characteristics of MetS is achievable and beneficial. New-onset diabetes incidence and CVD events were negligible and not different from what is expected in the general population. ..
- Iliadis G, Kotoula V, Chatzisotiriou A, Televantou D, Eleftheraki A, Lambaki S, et al. Volumetric and MGMT parameters in glioblastoma patients: survival analysis. BMC Cancer. 2012;12:3 pubmed publisher..In this small series, MGMT protein was associated with less aggressive tumor characteristics. ..
- Paraskevas G, Raikos A, Martoglou S, Ioannidis O. Sesamoid ossicles within the nuchal ligament: a report of two cases and review of the literature. J Radiol Case Rep. 2011;5:22-9 pubmed publisher..We discuss the precise morphology of the trait, the possible etiological mechanisms for their appearance, the histological features, as well as differential diagnosis...
- Kalinderi K, Bostantjopoulou S, Katsarou Z, Fidani L. Association study of rs6812193 polymorphism with Parkinson's disease in a Greek population. Neurosci Lett. 2013;541:190-2 pubmed publisher..Additional studies further investigating the association of the rs6812193 polymorphism with PD are needed in order to clarify the role of this polymorphism in different ethnicities. ..
- Tsaousis K, Plainis S, Dimitrakos S, Tsinopoulos I. Binocularity enhances visual acuity of eyes implanted with multifocal intraocular lenses. J Refract Surg. 2013;29:246-50 pubmed publisher..09 ± 0.08 logMAR at 33 cm. The results confirm that there is substantial benefit of binocular vision in individuals with bilateral multifocal IOL implantation in terms of increased visual acuity. This effect is evident at all distances. ..
- Kelpis T, Anastasiadis K, Nimatoudis I, Kelpi M, Hadjimiltiades S, Papakonstantinou C. Prevalence of "distressed" personality in patients with coronary artery disease and its correlation with morbidity after coronary surgery. Hellenic J Cardiol. 2013;54:362-7 pubmed..The impact of Type-D personality on health outcomes should be studied further, both in clinical samples and in the general population. ..
- Fekete K, Boutou A, Pitsiou G, Chavouzis N, Pataka A, Athanasiou I, et al. Resting energy expenditure in OSAS: the impact of a single CPAP application. Sleep Breath. 2016;20:121-8 pubmed publisher..In OSAS patients, REE values are high and vary significantly before and after sleep. A single nasal CPAP application diminishes this difference among responders, possibly through reversal of nocturnal desaturation. ..
- Georgitsi M, Vitoros V, Panou C, Tsangaris I, Aimoniotou E, Gatselis N, et al. Individualized significance of the -251 A/T single nucleotide polymorphism of interleukin-8 in severe infections. Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis. 2016;35:563-70 pubmed publisher..It is concluded that carriage of rs4073 modifies susceptibility for severe infection in an individualized way. This is associated with a modulation of circulating IL-8. ..
- Kostopoulos I, Cocco M, Ginanneschi C, D Amuri A, Lazzi S, Fabbri A, et al. Overlapping morphologic and immunophenotypic profiles in small B-cell lymphoma. A report of two cases. Virchows Arch. 2006;449:320-7 pubmed..The question still remains as to whether such cases should be designated as specific lymphoma entities or reported as unclassifiable and the chromosome aberration reported. ..
- Patrikidou A, Vahtsevanos K, Charalambidou M, Valeri R, Xirou P, Antoniades K. Non-AIDS Kaposi's sarcoma in the head and neck area. Head Neck. 2009;31:260-8 pubmed publisher..Literature review was conducted via electronic and manual medical database searches. Biological aspects, diagnostic difficulties, investigation protocols, and management modalities are discussed. ..
- Sakellari D, Menti S, Konstantinidis A. Free soluble receptor activator of nuclear factor-kappab ligand in gingival crevicular fluid correlates with distinct pathogens in periodontitis patients. J Clin Periodontol. 2008;35:938-43 pubmed
- Theodoridis T, Zepiridis L, Mikos T, Grimbizis G, Dinas K, Athanasiadis A, et al. Comparison of diagnostic accuracy of transvaginal ultrasound with laparoscopy in the management of patients with adnexal masses. Arch Gynecol Obstet. 2009;280:767-73 pubmed publisher..Laparoscopic diagnosis appears to be safe and accurate. Conservative laparoscopic management of benign adnexal masses is safe and with low morbidity. ..
- Fotiadou A, Arvaniti M, Kiriakou V, Tsitouridis I. Type II autosomal dominant osteopetrosis: radiological features in two families containing five members with asymptomatic and uncomplicated disease. Skeletal Radiol. 2009;38:1015-21 pubmed publisher..This might result in a consequent decrease in the incidence of fractures and other orthopaedic complications...
- Rouskas K, Meyre D, Stutzmann F, Paletas K, Papazoglou D, Vatin V, et al. Loss-of-function mutations in MC4R are very rare in the Greek severely obese adult population. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2012;20:2278-82 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that MC4R loss-of-function mutations are rare in the Greek population. MC4R genetic deficiency is unlikely to explain the high propensity to develop severe obesity in this specific population. ..
- Stamatopoulos C, Mikos T, Grimbizis G, Dimitriadis A, Efstratiou I, Stamatopoulos P, et al. Value of magnetic resonance imaging in diagnosis of adenomyosis and myomas of the uterus. J Minim Invasive Gynecol. 2012;19:620-6 pubmed publisher..MRI seems to be a useful technique in everyday clinical practice in the diagnostic approach of these common conditions, enabling clinicians to select the most appropriate management. ..
- Chatzikyriakidou A, Voulgari P, Drosos A. Evidence of ERBB3 gene association with rheumatoid arthritis predisposition. Int J Rheum Dis. 2016;19:146-9 pubmed publisher..More studies in other ethnic groups of patients are needed so as to reveal the extent of the herein observed genetic association. ..
- Kotoula V, Hytiroglou P, Pyrpasopoulou A, Saxena R, Thung S, Papadimitriou C. Expression of human telomerase reverse transcriptase in regenerative and precancerous lesions of cirrhotic livers. Liver. 2002;22:57-69 pubmed..Additional regulatory mechanisms may be required for the expression of the full-length hTERT transcript. ..
- Fountzilas G, Karkavelas G, Kalogera Fountzila A, Karina M, Ignatiadis M, Koukoulis G, et al. Post-operative combined radiation and chemotherapy with temozolomide and irinotecan in patients with high-grade astrocytic tumors. A phase II study with biomarker evaluation. Anticancer Res. 2006;26:4675-86 pubmed..The combination of TMZ and irinotecan, as administered in this study, was accompanied by high rates of toxicity, especially myelotoxicity and infection. Further development of this regimen in the treatment of HGAT is not recommended. ..
- Vasiliadis T, Themistoklis V, Anagnostis P, Panagiotis A, Nalmpantidis G, Georgios N, et al. Thyroid dysfunction and long-term outcome during and after interferon-alpha therapy in patients with chronic hepatitis C. Ann Acad Med Singapore. 2011;40:394-400 pubmed..TD among HCV-treated patients was more frequent than usually reported, with >50% developing permanent TD. ATA status may play a role in estimating the risk of subsequent TD. Women appear to be more vulnerable to TD than men. ..
- Dipla K, Triantafyllou A, Koletsos N, Papadopoulos S, Sachpekidis V, Vrabas I, et al. Impaired Muscle Oxygenation and Elevated Exercise Blood Pressure in Hypertensive Patients: Links With Vascular Stiffness. Hypertension. 2017;70:444-451 pubmed publisher..Dysregulations in muscle oxygen delivery/utilization and microvascular stiffness, in hypertensive patients, partially contribute to their exaggerated BP during exercise. ..
- Hatzichristou D, Hatzimouratidis K, Bekas M, Apostolidis A, Tzortzis V, Yannakoyorgos K. Diagnostic steps in the evaluation of patients with erectile dysfunction. J Urol. 2002;168:615-20 pubmed..We determined the impact of the different diagnostic steps on the management strategy for erectile dysfunction...
- Papakonstantinou C, Christoforidis E, Vasiliadis K, Kanellos I, Zarogoulidis K. Thoracic splenosis twenty-nine years after traumatic splenectomy mimicking intrathoracic neoplasm. Eur Surg Res. 2005;37:76-8 pubmed..To date, only 28 cases of thoracic splenosis have been reported in the literature. The purpose of this report is to present a new case of splenosis of the thoracic cavity simulating intrathoracic neoplasm. ..
- Barbetakis N, Efstathiou A, Efstathiou N, Papagiannopoulou P, Soulountsi V, Fessatidis I. A long-term survivor of Bland-White-Garland syndrome with systemic collateral supply: a case report and review of the literature. BMC Surg. 2005;5:23 pubmed..Recognition and diagnosis of Bland-White-Garland syndrome is important due to its potentially life-threatening complications. ..
- Markopoulos A, Antoniades D, Zaraboukas T. Pemphigus vegetans of the oral cavity. Int J Dermatol. 2006;45:425-8 pubmed..In the upper lamina propria severe inflammatory reaction was observed. Streptavidin-biotin immunoperoxidase technique showed in all cases intercellular epithelial deposition of IgG and C3. ..
- Ballas K, Rafailidis S, Marakis G, Pavlidis T, Sakadamis A. Intraperitoneal ePTFE mesh repair of parastomal hernias. Hernia. 2006;10:350-3 pubmed..A new technique, with intraperitoneal onlay position of expanded polytetrafluoroethylene (ePTFE) was therefore established. We report herein two cases of symptomatic large parastomal hernias treated in our department. ..
- Venizelos I, Andreadis C, Tatsiou Z. Primary Kaposi's sarcoma of the nasal cavity not associated with AIDS. Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol. 2008;265:717-20 pubmed..In the present study, we report the second case where the primary manifestation of the KS was in the nasal cavity in a patient with an adequate immune system. ..
- Ziakas A, Gavrilidis S, Souliou E, Giannoglou G, Stiliadis I, Karvounis H, et al. Ceruloplasmin is a better predictor of the long-term prognosis compared with fibrinogen, CRP, and IL-6 in patients with severe unstable angina. Angiology. 2009;60:50-9 pubmed publisher..05). Fib, CRP, IL-6, and CP levels alter in patients with severe unstable angina. However, only CP levels were related to 12-month follow-up prognosis. ..
- Boukovinas I, Papadaki C, Mendez P, Taron M, Mavroudis D, Koutsopoulos A, et al. Tumor BRCA1, RRM1 and RRM2 mRNA expression levels and clinical response to first-line gemcitabine plus docetaxel in non-small-cell lung cancer patients. PLoS ONE. 2008;3:e3695 pubmed publisher..The mRNA expression of BRCA1, RRM1 and RRM2 is potentially a useful tool for selecting NSCLC patients for individualized chemotherapy and warrants further investigation in prospective studies. ..
- Papadopoulou K, Giannakoulas G, Karvounis H, Dalamanga E, Karamitsos T, Parcharidou D, et al. Differences in echocardiographic characteristics of functional mitral regurgitation in ischaemic versus idiopathic dilated cardiomyopathy: a pilot study. Hellenic J Cardiol. 2009;50:37-44 pubmed..Mitral apparatus deformity, incomplete closure of mitral leaflets and global remodelling are more prominent in patients with ICM and lead to more severe FMR than in patients with DCM. ..
- Pikilidou M, Lasaridis A, Sarafidis P, Befani C, Koliakos G, Tziolas I, et al. Insulin sensitivity increase after calcium supplementation and change in intraplatelet calcium and sodium-hydrogen exchange in hypertensive patients with Type 2 diabetes. Diabet Med. 2009;26:211-9 pubmed publisher..These changes are likely to be mediated by changes in intracellular ionic Ca(2+). NHE-1 activity was also reduced after Ca(2+) supplementation but its role in insulin sensitivity requires further investigation. ..
- Kadoglou N, Vrabas I, Sailer N, Kapelouzou A, Fotiadis G, Noussios G, et al. Exercise ameliorates serum MMP-9 and TIMP-2 levels in patients with type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Metab. 2010;36:144-51 pubmed publisher..These data offer further insight into the cardioprotective mechanisms of exercise in patients with T2DM. ..
- Chalvatzoulis E, Megalopoulos A, Trellopoulos G, Ananiadou O, Papoulidis P, Kemanetzi I, et al. Endovascular repair of traumatic aortic transection. Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg. 2010;11:238-42 pubmed publisher..Although initial results are encouraging, close long-term follow-up and technical improvements of the stent grafts are required...
- Chrisoulidou A, Pazaitou Panayiotou K, Georgiou E, Boudina M, Lytras K, Iakovou I, et al. The hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis in women with differentiated thyroid cancer. Endocr Res. 2010;35:137-43 pubmed publisher..None of the parameters was significantly different between patients and controls. Females with DTC have normal HPA-axis function and similar insulin sensitivity and cardiovascular risk compared to controls. ..
- Papazisis K, Kontovinis L, Papandreou C, Kouvatseas G, Lafaras C, Antonakis E, et al. Brain natriuretic peptide precursor (NT-pro-BNP) levels predict for clinical benefit to sunitinib treatment in patients with metastatic renal cell carcinoma. BMC Cancer. 2010;10:489 pubmed publisher..More analyses, including multivariate analyses are needed before such an observation can be used in clinical practice. ..
- Sakellari D, Katsikari A, Slini T, Ioannidis I, Konstantinidis A, Arsenakis M. Prevalence and distribution of Aggregatibacter actinomycetemcomitans serotypes and the JP2 clone in a Greek population. J Clin Periodontol. 2011;38:108-14 pubmed publisher..a. actinomycetemcomitans serotype b was not statistically correlated with periodontal disease in the investigated sample and the utility of microbiological testing before antimicrobial administration is emphasized. ..
- Gavriilidis P, Barbanis S, Theodorou V, Christoforidou B. Extraocular sebaceous carcinoma mimicking benign sebaceous cyst. BMJ Case Rep. 2013;2013: pubmed publisher..All haematological, biochemical and tumour markers, imaging and endoscopic examinations were normal. Since SC may appear before the development of internal malignancy, our patient was scheduled for follow-up visits every 3 months...
- Dimopoulos A, Katsanos A, Mikropoulos D, Giannopoulos T, Empeslidis T, Teus M, et al. Scanning laser polarimetry in eyes with exfoliation syndrome. Eur J Ophthalmol. 2013;23:743-50 pubmed publisher..To compare retinal nerve fiber layer thickness (RNFLT) of normotensive eyes with exfoliation syndrome (XFS) and healthy eyes.?..
- Katsinelos P, Chatzimavroudis G, Tziomalos K, Zavos C, Beltsis A, Lazaraki G, et al. Impact of periampullary diverticula on the outcome and fluoroscopy time in endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography. Hepatobiliary Pancreat Dis Int. 2013;12:408-14 pubmed..The present study aimed to investigate the success rate and difficulty of common bile duct (CBD) cannulation, post-procedure complications and fluoroscopy duration in patients with and without PAD...
- Poulopoulos A, Belazi M, Epivatianos A, Velegraki A, Antoniades D. The role of Candida in inflammatory papillary hyperplasia of the palate. J Oral Rehabil. 2007;34:685-92 pubmed..Our findings suggest an interaction between the expression of BM components and Candida involvement in the development of IPHP, a disorder involving inflammatory reaction and modification of soft tissues. ..
- Angouridakis N, Zaraboukas T, Vital J, Vital V. Sinonasal hemangiopericytoma of the middle turbinate: a case report and brief review of the literature. B-ENT. 2007;3:139-43 pubmed..We will also discuss the epidemiology, the macro- and microscopical characteristics, the clinical and pathological findings and the treatment of this particular neoplasia...
- Lavrentieva A, Kontakiotis T, Bitzani M, Papaioannou Gaki G, Parlapani A, Thomareis O, et al. Early coagulation disorders after severe burn injury: impact on mortality. Intensive Care Med. 2008;34:700-6 pubmed publisher..Severe thermal injury is associated with the early activation of coagulation cascade, presence of DIC, organ failure, and increased mortality. ..
- Konstantinidis I, Tsakiropoulou E, Vital I, Triaridis S, Vital V, Constantinidis J. Intra- and postoperative application of Mitomycin C in the middle meatus reduces adhesions and antrostomy stenosis after FESS. Rhinology. 2008;46:107-11 pubmed..Mitomycin C is safe and effective in the prevention of severe adhesions and antrostomy stenosis when applied twice, during surgery and the early postoperative period. ..
- Vassiliadis T, Giouleme O, Koumerkeridis G, Koumaras H, Tziomalos K, Patsiaoura K, et al. Adefovir plus lamivudine are more effective than adefovir alone in lamivudine-resistant HBeAg- chronic hepatitis B patients: a 4-year study. J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2010;25:54-60 pubmed publisher..In addition, two patients in each group who did not achieve a virological response eventually developed ADV resistance. Adding ADV to LAM is more effective than switching to ADV monotherapy in LAM-resistant patients with HBeAg(-) CHB. ..
- Dimitroulas T, Giannakoulas G, Papadopoulou K, Karvounis H, Dimitroula H, Koliakos G, et al. Early detection of cardiac involvement in systemic sclerosis assessed by tissue-Doppler echocardiography: relationship with neurohormonal activation and endothelial dysfunction. J Rheumatol. 2010;37:993-9 pubmed publisher..NT-proBNP and ADMA are significantly correlated with echocardiographic abnormalities, providing a potent link for cardiac function, neuroendocrine derangement, and endothelial dysfunction in patients with SSc who have cardiac disease. ..
- Ioannidis O, Kakoutis E, Varnalidis I, Tamouridis G, Chatzichristou A, Tzarou V, et al. Giant cutaneous plasmacytoma of the sacrococcygeal region. J Cutan Med Surg. 2010;14:90-4 pubmed..We present a case of a giant cutaneous plasmacytoma of the sacrococcygeal region with a diameter of 12 cm that was treated with surgical excision. ..
- Paletas K, Athanasiadou E, Sarigianni M, Paschos P, Kalogirou A, Hassapidou M, et al. The protective role of the Mediterranean diet on the prevalence of metabolic syndrome in a population of Greek obese subjects. J Am Coll Nutr. 2010;29:41-5 pubmed..028, MD vs. HF). Adherence to the MD seems to be declining among Greek overweight and obese subjects, a phenomenon that is associated with an increase in the prevalence of the metabolic syndrome. ..
- Mastrogianni O, Theodoridis G, Spagou K, Violante D, Henriques T, Pouliopoulos A, et al. Determination of venlafaxine in post-mortem whole blood by HS-SPME and GC-NPD. Forensic Sci Int. 2012;215:105-9 pubmed publisher..Validation data was satisfactory, thus enabling application in the toxicological analysis of forensic samples. ..