Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on antineoplastic combined chemotherapy protocols in Thessaloníki, Central Macedonia, Greece
Locale: Thessaloníki, Central Macedonia, Greece
Topic: antineoplastic combined chemotherapy protocols
- Boukovinas I, Androulakis N, Vamvakas L, Papakotoulas P, Ziras N, Polyzos A, et al. Sequential gemcitabine and cisplatin followed by docetaxel as first-line treatment of advanced urothelial carcinoma: a multicenter phase II study of the Hellenic Oncology Research Group. Ann Oncol. 2006;17:1687-92 pubmed..5-40.5 months), and the 1-year survival rate 55.3%. The sequential administration of GP followed by D is active and well tolerated as first-line treatment of advanced urothelial carcinoma and merits to be further evaluated. ..
- Mouratidou D, Gennatas C, Michalaki V, Papadimitriou A, Andreadis C, Sykiotis C, et al. A phase III randomized study comparing paclitaxel and cisplatin versus cyclophosphamide and cisplatin in patients with advanced ovarian cancer. Anticancer Res. 2007;27:681-5 pubmed..Although OS and PFS were similar in two arms, TP regimen yielded superior response rates relative to CP, with an acceptable toxicity profile. Therefore, the TP regimen remains the preferred initial treatment option. ..
- Zarogoulidis K, Eleftheriadou E, Kontakiotis T, Gerasimou G, Zarogoulidis P, Sapardanis I, et al. Long acting somatostatin analogues in combination to antineoplastic agents in the treatment of small cell lung cancer patients. Lung Cancer. 2012;76:84-8 pubmed publisher..Long acting somatostatin analogues could be used as an additive therapy in combination to antineoplastic agents in patients positive for somatostatin receptors. A dose of 30 mg improved survival only in LD SCLC patients. ..
- Fountzilas G, Bobos M, Kalogera Fountzila A, Xiros N, Murray S, Linardou H, et al. Gemcitabine combined with gefitinib in patients with inoperable or metastatic pancreatic cancer: a phase II Study of the Hellenic Cooperative Oncology Group with biomarker evaluation. Cancer Invest. 2008;26:784-93 pubmed publisher..The 6-month progression-free survival (PFS) was 30%. Median PFS was 4.1 months and median survival 7.3 months with a 1 year survival rate of 27%. The above combination demonstrated promising activity in advanced pancreatic cancer. ..
- Fountzilas G, Karkavelas G, Kalogera Fountzila A, Karina M, Ignatiadis M, Koukoulis G, et al. Post-operative combined radiation and chemotherapy with temozolomide and irinotecan in patients with high-grade astrocytic tumors. A phase II study with biomarker evaluation. Anticancer Res. 2006;26:4675-86 pubmed..The combination of TMZ and irinotecan, as administered in this study, was accompanied by high rates of toxicity, especially myelotoxicity and infection. Further development of this regimen in the treatment of HGAT is not recommended. ..
- Fountzilas G, Skarlos D, Dafni U, Gogas H, Briasoulis E, Pectasides D, et al. Postoperative dose-dense sequential chemotherapy with epirubicin, followed by CMF with or without paclitaxel, in patients with high-risk operable breast cancer: a randomized phase III study conducted by the Hellenic Cooperative Oncology Group. Ann Oncol. 2005;16:1762-71 pubmed..However, our study has shown clearly that high-dose paclitaxel can be safely incorporated to dose-dense sequential chemotherapy. ..
- Bamias A, Peroukidis S, Stamatopoulou S, Tzannis K, Koutsoukos K, Andreadis C, et al. Utilization of Systemic Chemotherapy in Advanced Urothelial Cancer: A Retrospective Collaborative Study by the Hellenic Genitourinary Cancer Group (HGUCG). Clin Genitourin Cancer. 2016;14:e153-9 pubmed publisher..Enforcing criteria for fitness for cisplatin and earlier diagnosis of relapse represent 2 targets for improvement in current treatment practice for AUCa. ..
- Karayannopoulou M, Kaldrymidou E, Constantinidis T, Dessiris A. Adjuvant post-operative chemotherapy in bitches with mammary cancer. J Vet Med A Physiol Pathol Clin Med. 2001;48:85-96 pubmed..05) but within normal limits. Creatinine was also increased significantly (P < 0.01) but the mean creatinine concentrations were within normal limits, although in half of the bitches the concentrations occasionally rose above normal. ..
- Pectasides D, Pectasides E, Papaxoinis G, Andreadis C, Papatsibas G, Fountzilas G, et al. Primary fallopian tube carcinoma: results of a retrospective analysis of 64 patients. Gynecol Oncol. 2009;115:97-101 pubmed publisher..001). Optimally cytoreduced patients with PFTC treated with platinum and paclitaxel-based chemotherapy regimen have an excellent possibility of survival. ..
- Chrisoulidou A, Kaltsas G, Ilias I, Grossman A. The diagnosis and management of malignant phaeochromocytoma and paraganglioma. Endocr Relat Cancer. 2007;14:569-85 pubmed..Ongoing microarray studies may provide novel intracellular pathways of importance for proliferation/cell cycle control, and lead to the development of novel pharmacological agents. ..
- Boukovinas I, Papadaki C, Mendez P, Taron M, Mavroudis D, Koutsopoulos A, et al. Tumor BRCA1, RRM1 and RRM2 mRNA expression levels and clinical response to first-line gemcitabine plus docetaxel in non-small-cell lung cancer patients. PLoS ONE. 2008;3:e3695 pubmed publisher..The mRNA expression of BRCA1, RRM1 and RRM2 is potentially a useful tool for selecting NSCLC patients for individualized chemotherapy and warrants further investigation in prospective studies. ..
- Kourti M, Vavatsi N, Gombakis N, Sidi V, Tzimagiorgis G, Papageorgiou T, et al. Expression of multidrug resistance 1 (MDR1), multidrug resistance-related protein 1 (MRP1), lung resistance protein (LRP), and breast cancer resistance protein (BCRP) genes and clinical outcome in childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Int J Hematol. 2007;86:166-73 pubmed..Evaluation of MDR1 expression at diagnosis of childhood ALL may contribute to the early identification of patients at risk of treatment failure...
- Fountzilas G, Ciuleanu E, Bobos M, Kalogera Fountzila A, Eleftheraki A, Karayannopoulou G, et al. Induction chemotherapy followed by concomitant radiotherapy and weekly cisplatin versus the same concomitant chemoradiotherapy in patients with nasopharyngeal carcinoma: a randomized phase II study conducted by the Hellenic Cooperative Oncology Group. Ann Oncol. 2012;23:427-35 pubmed publisher..Mucositis, weight loss and leukopenia were the most prominent side-effects from CCRT. IC with three cycles of CEP when followed by CCRT did not significantly improve response rates and/or survival compared with that of CCRT alone. ..
- Emmanouilides C, Sfakiotaki G, Androulakis N, Kalbakis K, Christophylakis C, Kalykaki A, et al. Front-line bevacizumab in combination with oxaliplatin, leucovorin and 5-fluorouracil (FOLFOX) in patients with metastatic colorectal cancer: a multicenter phase II study. BMC Cancer. 2007;7:91 pubmed..9%) cardiac ischaemia. There was one (1.9%) sudden death after the first cycle. The combination of FOLFOX4/bevacizumab appears to be highly effective, well tolerated and merits further evaluation in patients with mCRC. ..
- Kechagias N, Ntomouchtsis A, Patrikidou A, Christoforidou B, Andreadis C, Vahtsevanos K. Metastasis of a ductal breast carcinoma to the buccal mucosa of the mandible with tooth involvement. Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2012;16:377-81 pubmed publisher..Metastatic tumours to the oral region are uncommon. The breast is the most common primary site for metastatic tumours to the jawbones in women, with the mandible being most often affected...
- Katodritou E, Speletas M, Pouli A, Tsitouridis J, Zervas K, Terpos E. Successful treatment of extramedullary plasmacytoma of the cavernous sinus using a combination of intermediate dose of thalidomide and dexamethasone. Acta Haematol. 2007;117:20-3 pubmed
- Karavasilis V, Kotoula V, Pentheroudakis G, Televantou D, Lambaki S, Chrisafi S, et al. A phase I study of temozolomide and lapatinib combination in patients with recurrent high-grade gliomas. J Neurol. 2013;260:1469-80 pubmed publisher..Combination of TMZ and LP is feasible with manageable toxicity. The activity of this combination in patients with recurrent glioblastoma multiforme is further investigated in a recently initiated phase II trial. ..
- Papadopoulos A, Ntaios G, Kaiafa G, Girtovitis F, Saouli Z, Kontoninas Z, et al. Veno-occlusive disease of the liver during induction therapy for acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Int J Hematol. 2008;88:441-442 pubmed publisher..In this article, we present the first fatal case of VOD during induction therapy for acute lymphoblastic leukemia. ..
- Fountzilas G, Daniilidis J, Kosmidis P, Sridhar K, Kalogera Fountzila A, Banis K, et al. Platinum-based induction chemotherapy followed by radiation as definitive treatment for patients with locally advanced cancer of the oral cavity, oropharynx and hypopharynx. A retrospective analysis of 32 cases. J Chemother. 1991;3:183-8 pubmed..In conclusion, induction chemotherapy followed by radiation therapy may omit radical surgery, without compromising survival, in some patients with locally advanced cancer of the oral cavity, oropharynx and hypopharynx. ..
- Fountzilas G, Dafni U, Bobos M, Kotoula V, Batistatou A, Xanthakis I, et al. Evaluation of the prognostic role of centromere 17 gain and HER2/topoisomerase II alpha gene status and protein expression in patients with breast cancer treated with anthracycline-containing adjuvant chemotherapy: pooled analysis of two Hellenic Coo. BMC Cancer. 2013;13:163 pubmed publisher..Australian New Zealand Clinical Trials Registry (ANZCTR) ACTRN12611000506998 and ACTRN12609001036202. ..
- Andreadis C, Charalampidou M, Diamantopoulos N, Chouchos N, Mouratidou D. Combined chemotherapy and radiotherapy during conception and first two trimesters of gestation in a woman with metastatic breast cancer. Gynecol Oncol. 2004;95:252-5 pubmed..The literature of anthracycline treatment during conception and the first trimester is reviewed. The effects of tamoxifen and biphosphonate therapy on the fetus during pregnancy are also discussed...
- Mavroudis D, Saloustros E, Boukovinas I, Papakotoulas P, Kakolyris S, Ziras N, et al. Sequential vs concurrent epirubicin and docetaxel as adjuvant chemotherapy for high-risk, node-negative, early breast cancer: an interim analysis of a randomised phase III study from the Hellenic Oncology Research Group. Br J Cancer. 2017;117:164-170 pubmed publisher..In the era of molecular selection of patients for adjuvant chemotherapy, this study offers valuable information for the optimal administration of anthracyclines and taxanes in patients with node-negative disease. ..