Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on adult in Thessaloníki, Central Macedonia, Greece
Locale: Thessaloníki, Central Macedonia, Greece
Publications275 found, 100 shown here
- Tsiartas P, Holst R, Wennerholm U, Hagberg H, Hougaard D, Skogstrand K, et al. Prediction of spontaneous preterm delivery in women with threatened preterm labour: a prospective cohort study of multiple proteins in maternal serum. BJOG. 2012;119:866-73 pubmed publisher..88). A combination of maternal serum proteins and cervical length constituted the best prediction model, and would help determine whether women with threatened preterm labour are likely to deliver within 7 days of measurement. ..
- Nikolaidis N, Zezos P, Giouleme O, Budas K, Marakis G, Paroutoglou G, et al. Endoscopic band ligation of Dieulafoy-like lesions in the upper gastrointestinal tract. Endoscopy. 2001;33:754-60 pubmed..Endoscopic band ligation is an effective and safe endoscopic treatment for Dieulafoy-like lesions. It is easy to use and relatively inexpensive. ..
- Papavramidis T, Michalopoulos N, Georgia K, Kesisoglou I, Valentini T, Georgia R, et al. Retroperitoneal ganglioneuroma in an adult patient: a case report and literature review of the last decade. South Med J. 2009;102:1065-7 pubmed publisher..The patient has shown no signs of recurrence. Radical excision of the tumor is unnecessary, especially when vascular structures are endangered. RGN-related hospitalization is short and the prognosis is good...
- Papa A, Pappa S, Panayotova E, Papadopoulou E, Christova I. Molecular epidemiology of Crimean-Congo hemorrhagic fever in Bulgaria--An update. J Med Virol. 2016;88:769-73 pubmed publisher..Understanding the CCHF epidemiology and virus evolution is the basis for public health programs and vaccine design. ..
- Krassas G, Pontikides N, Doukidis D, Heufelder G, Heufelder A. Serum levels of tumor necrosis factor-alpha, soluble intercellular adhesion molecule-1, soluble vascular cell adhesion molecule-1, and soluble interleukin-1 receptor antagonist in patients with thyroid eye disease undergoing treatment with somatostat. Thyroid. 2001;11:1115-22 pubmed..In conclusion, serum levels of TNF-a, sICAM-1, and sIL-1RA were elevated in patients with active TED compared to controls. Furthermore, sICAM-1 and sVICAM-1 levels declined during the treatment with SM-a in patients with active TED. ..
- Fountzilas G, Karkavelas G, Kalogera Fountzila A, Karina M, Ignatiadis M, Koukoulis G, et al. Post-operative combined radiation and chemotherapy with temozolomide and irinotecan in patients with high-grade astrocytic tumors. A phase II study with biomarker evaluation. Anticancer Res. 2006;26:4675-86 pubmed..The combination of TMZ and irinotecan, as administered in this study, was accompanied by high rates of toxicity, especially myelotoxicity and infection. Further development of this regimen in the treatment of HGAT is not recommended. ..
- Gindros G, Kantas I, Balatsouras D, Kaidoglou A, Kandiloros D. Comparison of ultrasound turbinate reduction, radiofrequency tissue ablation and submucosal cauterization in inferior turbinate hypertrophy. Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol. 2010;267:1727-33 pubmed publisher..Using this method, better results were obtained in decreasing subjective symptoms and nasal obstruction, in comparison with radiofrequency and electrocautery. ..
- Kontakiotis T, Manolakoglou N, Zoglopitis F, Iakovidis D, Sacas L, Papagiannis A, et al. Epidemiologic trends in lung cancer over two decades in Northern Greece: an analysis of bronchoscopic data. Monaldi Arch Chest Dis. 2009;71:147-52 pubmed..The aim of this study was to explore the changing epidemiology of lung cancer in Northern Greece over the last two decades...
- Christoforidi V, Koutlianos N, Deligiannis P, Kouidi E, Deligiannis A. Heart rate variability in free diving athletes. Clin Physiol Funct Imaging. 2012;32:162-6 pubmed publisher..This finding should be rather attributed to the accumulated effect of both exercise training and frequent exposure to FD stimulus. ..
- Papalada A, Malliaropoulos N, Tsitas K, Kiritsi O, Padhiar N, Del Buono A, et al. Ultrasound as a primary evaluation tool of bone stress injuries in elite track and field athletes. Am J Sports Med. 2012;40:915-9 pubmed publisher..8% sensitivity, 66.6% specificity, 99.0% positive predictive value, 13.4% negative predictive value, and 81.4% accuracy. Therapeutic ultrasound is a reproducible procedure that is reliable to diagnose bone stress injuries. ..
- Hatzokos I, Drakou A, Christodoulou A, Terzidis I, Pournaras J. Inferior subluxation of the fibular head following tibial lengthening with a unilateral external fixator. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2004;86-A:1491-6 pubmed..However, no clinical symptoms or findings related to the inferior subluxation of the fibula were found in our series. ..
- Katodritou E, Speletas M, Zervas K, Kapetanos D, Georgiou E, Christoforidou A, et al. Evaluation of hypochromic erythrocytes in combination with sTfR-F index for predicting response to r-HuEPO in anemic patients with multiple myeloma. Lab Hematol. 2006;12:47-54 pubmed
- Pavlidis T, Marakis G, Triantafyllou A, Psarras K, Kontoulis T, Sakantamis A. Management of ingested foreign bodies. How justifiable is a waiting policy?. Surg Laparosc Endosc Percutan Tech. 2008;18:286-7 pubmed publisher..Among these cases, only 1 patient needed to be operated because of obstruction of ileocecal valve by a large coin. Indications for treatment where applicable are also being discussed...
- Natsis K, Tsitouridis I, Didagelos M, Fillipidis A, Vlasis K, Tsikaras P. Anatomical variations in the branches of the human aortic arch in 633 angiographies: clinical significance and literature review. Surg Radiol Anat. 2009;31:319-23 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, these variations may be accompanied by other congenital abnormalities. ..
- Androudi S, Stangos A, Brazitikos P. Lamellar macular holes: tomographic features and surgical outcome. Am J Ophthalmol. 2009;148:420-6 pubmed publisher..002, paired t test). Surgical treatment of lamellar MH associated with an ERM may result in preservation or improvement of visual acuity, by relieving the tangential traction caused by the ERM. ..
- Economou M, Printza N, Teli A, Tzimouli V, Tsatra I, Papachristou F, et al. Renal dysfunction in patients with beta-thalassemia major receiving iron chelation therapy either with deferoxamine and deferiprone or with deferasirox. Acta Haematol. 2010;123:148-52 pubmed publisher..Further studies are needed in order to investigate the role of new chelators in tubular function parameters...
- Chalvatzoulis E, Megalopoulos A, Trellopoulos G, Ananiadou O, Papoulidis P, Kemanetzi I, et al. Endovascular repair of traumatic aortic transection. Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg. 2010;11:238-42 pubmed publisher..Although initial results are encouraging, close long-term follow-up and technical improvements of the stent grafts are required...
- Papadopoulos P, Karataglis D, Boutsiadis A, Fotiadou A, Christoforidis J, Christodoulou A. Functional outcome and structural integrity following mini-open repair of large and massive rotator cuff tears: a 3-5 year follow-up study. J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2011;20:131-7 pubmed publisher..Patient age, the size of the initial tear, as well as the size of a potential re-tear are factors affecting the final clinical outcome. ..
- Vakalopoulos I, Kampantais S, Dimopoulos P, Papastavros C, Katsikas V. Treatment of obstructive uropathy in one of three young brothers suffering from Gorlin-Cohen syndrome: a case report. BMC Urol. 2012;12:2 pubmed publisher..Some patients develop extraskeletal manifestations, such as urinary tract anomalies...
- Pateinakis P, Papagianni A, Douma S, Efstratiadis G, Memmos D. Associations of fetuin-A and osteoprotegerin with arterial stiffness and early atherosclerosis in chronic hemodialysis patients. BMC Nephrol. 2013;14:122 pubmed publisher..In chronic hemodialysis patients both fetuin-A and OPG levels are independently associated with arterial stiffness but not with early atherosclerotic vascular changes. ..
- Fountzilas G, Daniilidis J, Kosmidis P, Sridhar K, Kalogera Fountzila A, Banis K, et al. Platinum-based induction chemotherapy followed by radiation as definitive treatment for patients with locally advanced cancer of the oral cavity, oropharynx and hypopharynx. A retrospective analysis of 32 cases. J Chemother. 1991;3:183-8 pubmed..In conclusion, induction chemotherapy followed by radiation therapy may omit radical surgery, without compromising survival, in some patients with locally advanced cancer of the oral cavity, oropharynx and hypopharynx. ..
- Eleftheriadis E, Kotzampassi K. Temporary stenting of acquired benign tracheoesophageal fistulas in critically ill ventilated patients. Surg Endosc. 2005;19:811-5 pubmed..Temporary closure of an acquired tracheoesophageal fistula developed in critically ill ventilated patients is an easy, bedside-applicable, safe, and effective palliative procedure, with no complications or mortality. ..
- Boura P, Tselios K, Kamali S, Skendros P, Sarantopoulos A, Topouzis F. Concurrent relapsing central nervous system and ocular involvement in a case of life-threatening Adamantiades-Behçet Disease (ABD). Neurol Sci. 2006;27:432-5 pubmed..Maintenance therapy included cyclosporine A, azathioprine and corticosteroids. Case individualities are discussed, focusing on scepticism concerning treatment of NBD relapses in the long term...
- Papaziogas B, Lazaridis C, Souparis A, Koutelidakis I, Grigoriou M, Dragoumis D, et al. Idiopathic hypertrophic pyloric stenosis combined with left paraduodenal hernia in an adult. Med Princ Pract. 2007;16:151-4 pubmed..To our knowledge this is the first reported case of congenital pyloric stenosis combined with the presence of a paraduodenal hernia in an adult. ..
- Malindretos P, Sarafidis P, Rudenco I, Raptis V, Makedou K, Makedou A, et al. Slow intravenous iron administration does not aggravate oxidative stress and inflammatory biomarkers during hemodialysis: a comparative study between iron sucrose and iron dextran. Am J Nephrol. 2007;27:572-9 pubmed..We did not find an increase in the markers of oxidation/inflammation studied, after slow i.v. iron administration during hemodialysis session. ..
- Marakis G, Pavlidis T, Ballas K, Aimoniotou E, Psarras K, Karvounaris D, et al. Major complications during laparoscopic cholecystectomy. Int Surg. 2007;92:142-6 pubmed..4%), and conservative management was applied in three cases. Although infrequent, major complications may occur during laparoscopic cholecystectomy. Immediate recognition and management is critical and may lead to a safe outcome. ..
- Iosifidis E, Antachopoulos C, Tsivitanidou M, Katragkou A, Farmaki E, Tsiakou M, et al. Differential correlation between rates of antimicrobial drug consumption and prevalence of antimicrobial resistance in a tertiary care hospital in Greece. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2008;29:615-22 pubmed publisher..These findings may help to optimize antimicrobial prescription policies in the hospital, especially in departments that have both high rates of antimicrobial consumption and a high prevalence of antimicrobial resistance. ..
- Bobos M, Kotoula V, Kaloutsi V, Karayannopoulou G, Papadimitriou C, Kostopoulos I. Aberrant CCND1 copies and cyclin D1 mRNA expression do not result in the production of functional cyclin D1 protein in anaplastic large cell lymphoma. Histol Histopathol. 2009;24:1035-48 pubmed publisher..ALCL may often express cyclin D1 mRNA, which, however, does not result in the production of functional Cyclin D1 protein or Trop-2, suggesting that these proteins do not play a role in the pathogenesis of ALCL. ..
- Malliaropoulos N, Papacostas E, Kiritsi O, Papalada A, Gougoulias N, Maffulli N. Posterior thigh muscle injuries in elite track and field athletes. Am J Sports Med. 2010;38:1813-9 pubmed publisher..Posterior thigh muscle injuries in athletes are common, and prediction of recovery time would be of value...
- Polyzos S, Anastasilakis A, Litsas I, Efstathiadou Z, Kita M, Arsos G, et al. Profound hypocalcemia following effective response to zoledronic acid treatment in a patient with juvenile Paget's disease. J Bone Miner Metab. 2010;28:706-12 pubmed publisher..We describe hereby, for the first time in the literature, the case of a patient with JPD who developed severe hypocalcemia and secondary hyperparathyroidism following effective treatment with ZOL. ..
- Nasioutziki M, Daniilidis A, Dinas K, Kyrgiou M, Valasoulis G, Loufopoulos P, et al. The evaluation of p16INK4a immunoexpression/immunostaining and human papillomavirus DNA test in cervical liquid-based cytological samples. Int J Gynecol Cancer. 2011;21:79-85 pubmed publisher..The findings suggest that p16INK4a immunostaining can improve the accuracy of cytological examination and HPV DNA test and may be particularly useful in the triage of low-grade lesions. ..
- Fountzilas G, Ciuleanu E, Bobos M, Kalogera Fountzila A, Eleftheraki A, Karayannopoulou G, et al. Induction chemotherapy followed by concomitant radiotherapy and weekly cisplatin versus the same concomitant chemoradiotherapy in patients with nasopharyngeal carcinoma: a randomized phase II study conducted by the Hellenic Cooperative Oncology Group. Ann Oncol. 2012;23:427-35 pubmed publisher..Mucositis, weight loss and leukopenia were the most prominent side-effects from CCRT. IC with three cycles of CEP when followed by CCRT did not significantly improve response rates and/or survival compared with that of CCRT alone. ..
- Mouloudi E, Massa E, Georgiadou E, Iosifidis E, Kydona C, Sgourou K, et al. Course and outcome of renal transplant recipients admitted to the intensive care unit: a 20-year study. Transplant Proc. 2012;44:2718-20 pubmed publisher..The mortality rate was higher than that of the general ICU population (42.6% vs 30%). The main reason for ICU admission of renal transplant recipients was sepsis. ..
- Chalvatzis N, Tzamalis A, Mavrikakis I, Tsinopoulos I, Dimitrakos S. Self-retaining bicanaliculus stents as an adjunct to 3-snip punctoplasty in management of upper lacrimal duct stenosis: a comparison to standard 3-snip procedure. Ophthalmic Plast Reconstr Surg. 2013;29:123-7 pubmed publisher..The use of self-retaining bicanaliculus stents seems to improve anatomical, functional, and subjective scores when combined with standard 3-snip punctoplasty in patients with acquired upper lacrimal duct stenosis. ..
- Koussidou T, Devliotou Panagiotidou D, Karakatsanis G, Minas A, Mourellou O, Samara K. Onychomycosis in Northern Greece during 1994-1998. Mycoses. 2002;45:29-37 pubmed..6%) and yeasts (2%); 16.1% of the infections were mixed. In the fingernail infections mostly yeasts were isolated (72%), especially in women, followed by dermatophytes (10%) and moulds (5.6%); 12.4% of the infections were mixed. ..
- Tea A, Alexiou Daniel S, Arvanitidou M, Diza E, Antoniadis A. Occurrence of Bartonella henselae and Bartonella quintana in a healthy Greek population. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2003;68:554-6 pubmed..4%) of cross-reactivity between the two species was observed. Our data show that the prevalence of both Bartonella species in Greece is high. However, low IgG antibody levels are not sufficient evidence of active infection...
- Alexiou Daniel S, Tea A, Ilonidis G, Antoniadis A. A case of pleurisy associated with antibodies to Rickettsia conorii. Clin Microbiol Infect. 2003;9:437-40 pubmed..After treatment with Doxycycline, the patient presented a significant improvement of his clinical and radiological image and a four-fold decrease of the antibody titre for R. conorii...
- Fountzilas G, Skarlos D, Dafni U, Gogas H, Briasoulis E, Pectasides D, et al. Postoperative dose-dense sequential chemotherapy with epirubicin, followed by CMF with or without paclitaxel, in patients with high-risk operable breast cancer: a randomized phase III study conducted by the Hellenic Cooperative Oncology Group. Ann Oncol. 2005;16:1762-71 pubmed..However, our study has shown clearly that high-dose paclitaxel can be safely incorporated to dose-dense sequential chemotherapy. ..
- Topouzis F, Tranos P, Koskosas A, Pappas T, Anastasopoulos E, Dimitrakos S, et al. Risk of sudden visual loss following filtration surgery in end-stage glaucoma. Am J Ophthalmol. 2005;140:661-6 pubmed..In our case-series of consecutive patients with end-stage glaucoma, followed for 3 months after filtration surgery IOP was reduced effectively and vision was preserved with no occurrences of "wipe-out" phenomenon. ..
- Zezos P, Papaioannou G, Nikolaidis N, Patsiaoura K, Papageorgiou A, Vassiliadis T, et al. Low-molecular-weight heparin (enoxaparin) as adjuvant therapy in the treatment of active ulcerative colitis: a randomized, controlled, comparative study. Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2006;23:1443-53 pubmed..Adjuvant administration of low-molecular heparin in patients with active ulcerative colitis is safe and well tolerated, but no additive benefit over standard therapy for ulcerative colitis was noted. ..
- Deligiannidis A, Parapanissiou E, Mavridis P, Tabakoudis G, Mavroudi A, Papastavrou T, et al. Thrombophilia and antithrombotic therapy in women with recurrent spontaneous abortions. J Reprod Med. 2007;52:499-502 pubmed..Low-molecular-weight heparin and low-dose aspirin daily during pregnancy appear to have a favorable effect on pregnancy outcome in selected women with RSAs and acquired or inherited thrombophilia. ..
- Georgiou E, Valeri R, Tzimagiorgis G, Anzel J, Krikelis D, Tsilikas C, et al. Aberrant p16 promoter methylation among Greek lung cancer patients and smokers: correlation with smoking. Eur J Cancer Prev. 2007;16:396-402 pubmed..001) and differed among male and female disease-free smokers. In summary, p16 methylation is very frequent among non-small cell lung carcinoma patients, and correlates with heavy cigarette consumption only in disease-free smokers. ..
- Parcharidou D, Giannakoulas G, Efthimiadis G, Karvounis H, Papadopoulou K, Dalamanga E, et al. Right ventricular function in ischemic or idiopathic dilated cardiomyopathy. Circ J. 2008;72:238-44 pubmed..RV dysfunction is more pronounced in patients with ICM than in patients with DCM. The RV TDE parameters can be used to complement clinical and conventional echocardiographic findings in the assessment of patients with ICM and DCM. ..
- Sombolos K, Fragia T, Gionanlis L, Veneti P, Bamichas G, Fragidis S, et al. Use of fondaparinux as an anticoagulant during hemodialysis: a preliminary study. Int J Clin Pharmacol Ther. 2008;46:198-203 pubmed..However, anti-Xa levels in the former patients were still increased before the next dialysis session, potentially exposing the patients to an increased risk of bleeding. ..
- Katsoulos C, Nick V, Lefteris K, Theodore M. Fitting the post-keratoplasty cornea with hydrogel lenses. Cont Lens Anterior Eye. 2009;32:22-6 pubmed publisher..In such cases, the patient should be closely monitored in order to avoid complications from hypoxia. ..
- Kyrgidis A, Tzellos T, Kechagias N, Patrikidou A, Xirou P, Kitikidou K, et al. Cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma (SCC) of the head and neck: risk factors of overall and recurrence-free survival. Eur J Cancer. 2010;46:1563-72 pubmed publisher..After excision in negative margins, patients with HNCSCC should be referred to specialised multidisciplinary oncology clinics for counselling on adjuvant radiotherapy and follow-up. ..
- Babas E, Ekonomopoulou M, Karapidaki I, Doxakis A, Betsas G, Iakovidou Kritsi Z. Indication of participation of caspase-2 and caspase-5 in mechanisms of human cervical malignancy. Int J Gynecol Cancer. 2010;20:1381-5 pubmed publisher..01, by t test). The changes of caspase-2 and caspase-5 activities could be indicative of their involvement in the cervical malignancy mechanisms. ..
- Asteriou C, Barbetakis N, Kleontas A, Konstantinou D. Giant mediastinal teratoma presenting with paroxysmal atrial fibrillation. Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg. 2011;12:308-10 pubmed publisher..Atrial fibrillation as the first clinical presentation of left atrial compression by a giant mediastinal teratoma is extremely uncommon and very few cases have been described in the English literature. ..
- Ioannidis O, Papaemmanouil S, Chatzopoulos S, Paraskevas G, Konstantara A, Kotronis A, et al. Giant bilateral symptomatic adrenal myelolipomas associated with congenital adrenal hyperplasia. Pathol Oncol Res. 2011;17:775-8 pubmed publisher..Histopathological examination established the diagnosis of adrenal myelolipoma. ..
- Stangou M, Ekonomidou D, Giamalis P, Liakou H, Tsiantoulas A, Pantzaki A, et al. Steroids and azathioprine in the treatment of IgA nephropathy. Clin Exp Nephrol. 2011;15:373-380 pubmed publisher..Patients who do not respond to steroids may have a better response with the combination of steroids and azathioprine. ..
- Koiou E, Dinas K, Tziomalos K, Toulis K, Kandaraki E, Kalaitzakis E, et al. The phenotypes of polycystic ovary syndrome defined by the 1990 diagnostic criteria are associated with higher serum vaspin levels than the phenotypes introduced by the 2003 criteria. Obes Facts. 2011;4:145-50 pubmed publisher..e. presence of HA and PCO without ANOV and presence of ANOV and PCO without HA). Vaspin is a novel adipokine that appears to preserve insulin sensitivity. We aimed to assess serum vaspin levels in patients with different PCOS phenotypes...
- Stefanidou S, Benos A, Galanopoulou V, Chatziyannis I, Kanakoudi F, Aslanidis S, et al. Clinical expression and morbidity of systemic lupus erythematosus during a post-diagnostic 5-year follow-up: a male:female comparison. Lupus. 2011;20:1090-4 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, this study has provided information regarding the features of clinical expression and morbidity in male patients, and has shown that gender is a possible factor that can influence the clinical expression of SLE. ..
- Pitsiou G, Kioumis I. Pneumococcal vaccination in adults: does it really work?. Respir Med. 2011;105:1776-83 pubmed publisher..Despite this, there is growing evidence that conjugate vaccines, due to their superior immunogenicity, could also be offered for adult vaccination, but still there are certain issues that warrant further investigation. ..
- Pazaitou Panayiotou K, Papapetrou P, Chrisoulidou A, Konstantinidou S, Doumala E, Georgiou E, et al. Height, whole Body Surface Area, gender, working outdoors, and sunbathing in previous summer are important determinants of serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels. Exp Clin Endocrinol Diabetes. 2012;120:14-22 pubmed publisher..Vitamin D status is higher in taller individuals with greater BSA, and in men when compared to women. ..
- Raikos A, Paraskevas G, Tzika M, Kordali P, Tsafka Tsotskou F, Natsis K. Human body exhibitions: public opinion of young individuals and contemporary bioethics. Surg Radiol Anat. 2012;34:433-40 pubmed publisher..This could be effected by certified anatomy demonstrators in graduated steps according to the cohort's age, education, occupation, and health status. ..
- Konstantinidis I, Tsakiropoulou E, Bekiaridou P, Kazantzidou C, Constantinidis J. Use of olfactory training in post-traumatic and postinfectious olfactory dysfunction. Laryngoscope. 2013;123:E85-90 pubmed publisher..The present study suggests that a 16-week short-term exposure to specific odors may increase olfactory sensitivity in patients with postinfectious and post-traumatic olfactory dysfunction. ..
- Papadopoulos K, Montgomery A, Chronopoulou E. The impact of visual impairments in self-esteem and locus of control. Res Dev Disabil. 2013;34:4565-70 pubmed publisher..Significant predictors of LOC were vision status and independent movement. Findings are discussed with regard to their implications for parents, social workers, teachers, and rehabilitation specialists. ..
- Dionyssiou D, Demiri E, Tsimponis A, Sarafis A, Mpalaris V, Tatsidou G, et al. A randomized control study of treating secondary stage II breast cancer-related lymphoedema with free lymph node transfer. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2016;156:73-9 pubmed publisher..LNT represents an effective therapeutic approach for stage II lymphoedema patients; it significantly reduces limb volume, decreases recurrent infections and improves the overall function. ..
- Zagouri F, Kotoula V, Kouvatseas G, Sotiropoulou M, Koletsa T, Gavressea T, et al. Protein expression patterns of cell cycle regulators in operable breast cancer. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0180489 pubmed publisher..0%, 79.1%, 67.4% and OS 88.4%, 90.4%, 78.9%, respectively. It seems that the expression of cell cycle regulators in the absence of p53 protein is associated with favorable prognosis in operable breast cancer. ..
- Belazi M, Velegraki A, Fleva A, Gidarakou I, Papanaum L, Baka D, et al. Candidal overgrowth in diabetic patients: potential predisposing factors. Mycoses. 2005;48:192-6 pubmed
- Manika K, Alexiou Daniel S, Papakosta D, Papa A, Kontakiotis T, Patakas D, et al. Epstein-Barr virus DNA in bronchoalveolar lavage fluid from patients with idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis. Sarcoidosis Vasc Diffuse Lung Dis. 2007;24:134-40 pubmed..However further investigation is required concerning the etiology of idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis. ..
- Karanikas E, Harsoulis F, Giouzepas I, Griveas I, Chrisomallis F. Neuroendocrine stimulatory tests of hypothalamus-pituitary-adrenal axis in psoriasis and correlative implications with psychopathological and immune parameters. J Dermatol. 2009;36:35-44 pubmed publisher..Nevertheless, it is still premature to exclude the possibility that a subtle latent alteration of the HPA axis function might exist, in psoriasis, either stemming from the psychopathology or from the disease per se. ..
- Raptou G, Pliakos I, Hytiroglou P, Papavramidis S, Karkavelas G. Severe eosinophilic cholangitis with parenchymal destruction of the left hepatic lobe due to hydatid disease. Pathol Int. 2009;59:395-8 pubmed publisher..This case demonstrates that echinococcosis may cause severe eosinophilic cholangitis with extensive parenchymal destruction, apparently resulting from a hypersensitivity reaction to parasitic antigens...
- Evangelia N, Kirana P, Chiu G, Link C, Rosen R, Hatzichristou D. Level of bother and treatment-seeking predictors among male and female in-patients with sexual problems: a hospital-based study. J Sex Med. 2010;7:700-11 pubmed publisher..Such findings are of clinical importance as they aid physicians in establishing a diagnosis of a sexual disorder. ..
- Kaloyannidis P, Yannaki E, Sakellari I, Bitzioni E, Athanasiadou A, Mallouri D, et al. The impact of desferrioxamine postallogeneic hematopoietic cell transplantation in relapse incidence and disease-free survival: a retrospective analysis. Transplantation. 2010;89:472-9 pubmed publisher..DFO administration postallogeneic transplantation may improve DFS by reducing relapse. This clinical observation could be only confirmed by prospective trials that will determine the role of DFO in the allotransplantation setting. ..
- Liatsikos S, Grimbizis G, Georgiou I, Papadopoulos N, Lazaros L, Bontis J, et al. HOX A10 and HOX A11 mutation scan in congenital malformations of the female genital tract. Reprod Biomed Online. 2010;21:126-32 pubmed publisher..No subject showed a plausible causative mutation in HOX A10 or HOX A11; the sole variant observed (P38R) found in a patient with septate uterus was also present in her clinically normal mother. ..
- Zouli C, Tsametis C, Papadimas I, Goulis D. A man with 47,XYY karyotype, prolactinoma and a history of first trimester recurrent miscarriages in his wife. Hormones (Athens). 2011;10:72-5 pubmed
- Xochelli A, Kalpadakis C, Gardiner A, Baliakas P, Vassilakopoulos T, Mould S, et al. Clonal B-cell lymphocytosis exhibiting immunophenotypic features consistent with a marginal-zone origin: is this a distinct entity?. Blood. 2014;123:1199-206 pubmed publisher..These cases, not readily classifiable within the World Heath Organization classification, raise the possibility that CBL-MZ should be considered as a new provisional entity within the spectrum of clonal MZ disorders. ..
- Anastasilakis A, Polyzos S, Tsoli M, Papatheodorou A, Kokkoris P, Kaltsas G, et al. Low periostin levels in adult patients with Langerhans cell histiocytosis are independently associated with the disease activity. Metabolism. 2017;71:198-201 pubmed publisher..Lower serum periostin levels were observed in adult LCH patients with active disease. The finding warrants further investigation to define whether periostin could serve as a serum biomarker for LCH activity. ..
- Papatheodoridis G, Idilman R, Dalekos G, Buti M, Chi H, van Boemmel F, et al. The risk of hepatocellular carcinoma decreases after the first 5 years of entecavir or tenofovir in Caucasians with chronic hepatitis B. Hepatology. 2017;66:1444-1453 pubmed publisher..Hepatology 2017;66:1444-1453). ..
- Sofianou D, Avgoustinakis E, Dilopoulou A, Pournaras S, Tsirakidis G, Tsakris A. Soft-tissue abscess involving Actinomyces odontolyticus and two Prevotella species in an intravenous drug abuser. Comp Immunol Microbiol Infect Dis. 2004;27:75-9 pubmed..Eventually, the patient recovered and at a 6-month follow-up a gradual improvement of his subcutaneous infection was noticed...
- Giannoulis E, Economopoulos T, Mandraveli K, Giannoulis K, Nikolaides C, Zervou E, et al. The prevalence of hepatitis C and hepatitis G virus infection in patients with B cell non-Hodgkin lymphomas in Greece: a Hellenic Cooperative Oncology Group Study. Acta Haematol. 2004;112:189-93 pubmed..The increased prevalence of HGV infection detected in patients with NHL could imply the potential participation of HGV in the pathogenesis of NHL...
- Christodoulou A, Givissis P, Karataglis D, Symeonidis P, Pournaras J. Treatment of tuberculous spondylitis with anterior stabilization and titanium cage. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2006;444:60-5 pubmed..Therapeutic study. Level IV (case series). Please see Guidelines for Authors for a complete description of levels of evidence. ..
- Boukovinas I, Androulakis N, Vamvakas L, Papakotoulas P, Ziras N, Polyzos A, et al. Sequential gemcitabine and cisplatin followed by docetaxel as first-line treatment of advanced urothelial carcinoma: a multicenter phase II study of the Hellenic Oncology Research Group. Ann Oncol. 2006;17:1687-92 pubmed..5-40.5 months), and the 1-year survival rate 55.3%. The sequential administration of GP followed by D is active and well tolerated as first-line treatment of advanced urothelial carcinoma and merits to be further evaluated. ..
- Katodritou E, Terpos E, Zervas K, Speletas M, Kapetanos D, Kartsios C, et al. Hypochromic erythrocytes (%): a reliable marker for recognizing iron-restricted erythropoiesis and predicting response to erythropoietin in anemic patients with myeloma and lymphoma. Ann Hematol. 2007;86:369-76 pubmed..Additionally, HYPO% has proved a reliable marker for recognizing IRE before rHuEPO treatment and, thus, could be used for identifying patients who will benefit from IV iron supplementation. ..
- Tasina E, Haidich A, Kokkali S, Arvanitidou M. Efficacy and safety of tigecycline for the treatment of infectious diseases: a meta-analysis. Lancet Infect Dis. 2011;11:834-44 pubmed publisher..Tigecycline is not better than standard antimicrobial agents for the treatment of serious infections. Our findings show that assessment with unpublished studies is needed to make appropriate decisions about new agents. None. ..
- Panidis D, Tziomalos K, Misichronis G, Papadakis E, Betsas G, Katsikis I, et al. Insulin resistance and endocrine characteristics of the different phenotypes of polycystic ovary syndrome: a prospective study. Hum Reprod. 2012;27:541-9 pubmed publisher..Phenotype 1 is associated with more IR and more pronounced HA than phenotype 2. Phenotypes 2 and 4 with obesity, are also characterized by IR. In contrast, phenotype 3 is not associated with IR. ..
- Natsis K, Paraskevas G, Tzika M, Papathanasiou E. Variable origin and ramification pattern of the lateral femoral cutaneous nerve: a case report and neurosurgical considerations. Turk Neurosurg. 2013;23:840-3 pubmed publisher..The supernumerary LFCN branches could be identified by ultrasound imaging and be used as optimum vascularized grafts for sensory nerve repair...
- Fotiou F, Fountoulakis K, Goulas A, Alexopoulos L, Palikaras A. Automated standardized pupillometry with optical method for purposes of clinical practice and research. Clin Physiol. 2000;20:336-47 pubmed..It is expected that it will also be a valuable research tool in the study of diabetes, alcoholism, myasthenia gravis, cancer, multiple sclerosis, etc. ..
- Christoforidis E, Goulimaris I, Kanellos I, Tsalis K, Demetriades C, Betsis D. Post-ERCP pancreatitis and hyperamylasemia: patient-related and operative risk factors. Endoscopy. 2002;34:286-92 pubmed
- Panidis D, Koliakos G, Kourtis A, Farmakiotis D, Mouslech T, Rousso D. Serum resistin levels in women with polycystic ovary syndrome. Fertil Steril. 2004;81:361-6 pubmed..Based on the above findings, we presume that resistin is unlikely to be a major determining factor of PCOS-associated insulin resistance and is not actively involved in the pathogenesis of the syndrome. ..
- Drevelegas A, Pilavaki M, Chourmouzi D. Lipomatous tumors of soft tissue: MR appearance with histological correlation. Eur J Radiol. 2004;50:257-67 pubmed..The imaging features are often characteristic and reflect the histological pattern of the tumors. We present an overview of the lipomatous tumors and we correlate MR imaging appearance with histological findings. ..
- Visvardis G, Griveas I, Zilidou R, Papadopoulou D, Mitsopoulos E, Kyriklidou P, et al. Glomerular filtration rate estimation in renal transplant patients based on serum cystatin-C levels: comparison with other markers of glomerular filtration rate. Transplant Proc. 2004;36:1757-9 pubmed..Although serum CysC can generally be recommended as a marker for GFR, our study is still in progress seeking to validate the conclusions in a larger number of patients. ..
- Epivatianos A, Iordanides S, Zaraboukas T, Antoniades D. Adenoid cystic carcinoma and polymorphous low-grade adenocarcinoma of minor salivary glands: a comparative immunohistochemical study using the epithelial membrane and carcinoembryonic antibodies. Oral Dis. 2005;11:175-80 pubmed
- Mazinis E, Lambrianidis T, Margelos J. Detection of a residual foreign body during root canal treatment. J Endod. 2005;31:691-3 pubmed..Thorough medical record, clinical and radiographic examination may be helpful in the detection of foreign bodies in the orofacial region. ..
- Kimiskidis V, Papagiannopoulos S, Kazis D, Sotirakoglou K, Vasiliadis G, Zara F, et al. Lorazepam-induced effects on silent period and corticomotor excitability. Exp Brain Res. 2006;173:603-11 pubmed..At the lower range of SIs, a small but statistically significant increase in SP duration is observed. The kinetic behavior of this phenomenon as well as the possible underlying mechanisms are discussed. ..
- Antonitsis P, Saratzis N, Velissaris I, Lazaridis I, Melas N, Ginis G, et al. Management of cervical paragangliomas: review of a 15-year experience. Langenbecks Arch Surg. 2006;391:396-402 pubmed..Cervical paragangliomas are highly vascular neoplasms and should be considered in the evaluation of all lateral neck masses. The aim of this study is to review an institutional experience in the management of these tumors...
- Ziakas A, Gavrilidis S, Giannoglou G, Souliou E, Gemitzis K, Kalampalika D, et al. In-hospital and long-term prognostic value of fibrinogen, CRP, and IL-6 levels in patients with acute myocardial infarction treated with thrombolysis. Angiology. 2006;57:283-93 pubmed..02) to 6-month prognosis (p = 0.018). Fibrinogen, CRP, and IL-6 levels alter in patients with AMI receiving thrombolysis, and are related both to in-hospital and to 6-month follow-up prognosis. ..
- Tsitouridis I, Tsinoglou K, Morichovitou A, Stratilati S, Siouggaris N, Kontaki T. Scimitar syndrome versus meandering pulmonary vein: evaluation with three-dimensional computed tomography. Acta Radiol. 2006;47:927-32 pubmed..In both cases, 3D-CT enabled a non-invasive, detailed anatomic evaluation of the right pulmonary vascular bed...