Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on middle aged in Athens, Attica, Greece
Locale: Athens, Attica, Greece
Topic: middle aged
Publications452 found, 100 shown here
- Gerostathopoulos N, Kalliakmanis A, Fandridis E, Georgoulis S. Trimed fixation system for displaced fractures of the distal radius. J Trauma. 2007;62:913-8 pubmed..To study the functional outcome of displaced distal radius fractures treated by open reduction and internal fixation with the use of fragment-specific fixation...
- Vikelis M, Papatriantafyllou J, Karageorgiou C. A novel CADASIL-causing mutation in a stroke patient. Swiss Med Wkly. 2007;137:323-5 pubmed..A strong family history of stroke and dementia are also supportive. ..
- Benetou V, Trichopoulou A, Orfanos P, Naska A, Lagiou P, Boffetta P, et al. Conformity to traditional Mediterranean diet and cancer incidence: the Greek EPIC cohort. Br J Cancer. 2008;99:191-5 pubmed publisher..This inverse association with MD adherence was considerably stronger than that predicted on the basis of the associations of the individual components of this diet and points to the value of analysing dietary patterns in cancer studies. ..
- Alexopoulou A, Dourakis S, Mantzoukis D, Pitsariotis T, Kandyli A, Deutsch M, et al. Adverse drug reactions as a cause of hospital admissions: a 6-month experience in a single center in Greece. Eur J Intern Med. 2008;19:505-10 pubmed publisher..ADRs are common causes of hospital admissions and may have important consequences. The most important determinant for ADR-related hospital admissions is the number of drugs taken. ..
- Efremidis M, Letsas K, Pappas L, Filippatos G, Sideris A, Kardaras F. Excessive vagal response during left atrial ablation in a patient with paroxysmal atrial fibrillation. Hellenic J Cardiol. 2009;50:227-9 pubmed..During radiofrequency application around the left superior pulmonary vein, the patient exhibited an excessive vagal response with a sinus pause of 17 s. ..
- Vasiliadis K, Viazis N, Vlachogiannakos J, Sgouros S, Stefanidis G, Archimandritis A, et al. Efficacy of three different dosages of esomeprazole in the long-term management of reflux disease: a prospective, randomized study, using the wireless Bravo pH system. Am J Gastroenterol. 2010;105:308-13 pubmed publisher..Esomeprazole 40 mg once daily effectively controls reflux of acid in patients with history of mild esophagitis or ENRD, whereas doubling the dose does not seem to confer any further advantage. ..
- Rizos I, Rigopoulos A, Kalogeropoulos A, Tsiodras S, Dragomanovits S, Sakadakis E, et al. Hypertension and paroxysmal atrial fibrillation: a novel predictive role of high sensitivity C-reactive protein in cardioversion and long-term recurrence. J Hum Hypertens. 2010;24:447-57 pubmed publisher..27 mg l(-1) (hazard ratio: 6.2, 95% CI: 2.2-17.6, P=0.001). hsCRP at 48 h after admission correlates with cardioversion outcome and may predict long-term AF recurrence. ..
- Karamitopoulou E, Pallante P, Zlobec I, Tornillo L, Carafa V, Schaffner T, et al. Loss of the CBX7 protein expression correlates with a more aggressive phenotype in pancreatic cancer. Eur J Cancer. 2010;46:1438-44 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that CBX7 plays a role in pancreatic carcinogenesis and that its loss of expression correlates to a more aggressive phenotype. ..
- Kanakis D, Levidou G, Gakiopoulou H, Eftichiadis C, Thymara I, Fragkou P, et al. Replication protein A: a reliable biologic marker of prognostic and therapeutic value in human astrocytic tumors. Hum Pathol. 2011;42:1545-53 pubmed publisher..Moreover, replication protein A2 protein seems to be a useful prognostic indicator in patients with astrocytomas. ..
- Sbarouni E, Georgiadou P, Chaidaroglou A, Degiannis D, Voudris V. Heart-type fatty acid binding protein in elective cardioversion of atrial fibrillation. Clin Biochem. 2011;44:947-9 pubmed publisher..37] or to the success of the procedure. H-FABP does not significantly change following elective cardioversion for AF and we, therefore, speculate that myocardial necrosis does not occur during cardioversion. ..
- Stefanaki I, Panagiotou O, Kodela E, Gogas H, Kypreou K, Chatzinasiou F, et al. Replication and predictive value of SNPs associated with melanoma and pigmentation traits in a Southern European case-control study. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e55712 pubmed publisher..3% versus 83.9%, p?=?0.66). Overall, our study has validated genetic variants that are likely to contribute to melanoma susceptibility in the Greek population. ..
- Avgeris M, Stravodimos K, Fragoulis E, Scorilas A. The loss of the tumour-suppressor miR-145 results in the shorter disease-free survival of prostate cancer patients. Br J Cancer. 2013;108:2573-81 pubmed publisher..The loss of the tumour-suppressor miR-145 increases the risk for disease progression and predicts the poor survival of PCa patients. ..
- Knechtle B, Nikolaidis P, KÃ¶nig S, Rosemann T, RÃ¼st C. Performance trends in master freestyle swimmers aged 25-89Â years at the FINA World Championships from 1986 to 2014. Age (Dordr). 2016;38:18 pubmed publisher..We expect a continuous trend in increasing participation and improved performance in master freestyle swimmers. ..
- Makris M, Sergentanis T, Aggelides X, Tzanninis S, Polyzou E, Rigopoulos D, et al. Cross sectional questionnaire-based internet study: Self-perception and clinical course of drug allergy in Greece. Allergol Int. 2017;66:59-63 pubmed publisher..Internet-based questionnaires may contribute to awareness programs concerning drug allergy and help improve proper referral. ..
- Dalakas M, Rakocevic G, Dambrosia J, Alexopoulos H, McElroy B. A double-blind, placebo-controlled study of rituximab in patients with stiff person syndrome. Ann Neurol. 2017;82:271-277 pubmed publisher..Ann Neurol 2017;82:271-277. ..
- Korkolopoulou P, Vassilopoulos I, Konstantinidou A, Zorzos H, Patsouris E, Agapitos E, et al. The combined evaluation of p27Kip1 and Ki-67 expression provides independent information on overall survival of ovarian carcinoma patients. Gynecol Oncol. 2002;85:404-14 pubmed..Furthermore, combined p27Kip1/Ki-67 expression is a better prognostic marker than expression of p27Kip1 or Ki-67 alone and supplements the prognostic information gained from traditional prognosticators. ..
- Polyzos A, Tsavaris N, Kosmas C, Gogas H, Vadiaka M, Markopoulos C, et al. Docetaxel and epirubicin supported by granulocyte colony-stimulating factor first-line in advanced breast cancer. Anticancer Res. 2003;23:2917-23 pubmed..Although myelosuppression remains the major toxicity, prophylactic GCSF administration was associated with a small percentage of neutropenic fever. ..
- Dimitroulopoulos D, Xynopoulos D, Tsamakidis K, Paraskevas E, Zisimopoulos A, Andriotis E, et al. Scintigraphic detection of carcinoid tumors with a cost effectiveness analysis. World J Gastroenterol. 2004;10:3628-33 pubmed..Between several imaging combinations, the combination of chest X-ray/upper abdominal CT/SRS shows the highest sensitivity with a cost of 1294.93 Euro. ..
- Mylona E, Kapranou A, Mavrommatis J, Markaki S, Keramopoulos A, Nakopoulou L. The multifunctional role of the immunohistochemical expression of MMP-7 in invasive breast cancer. APMIS. 2005;113:246-55 pubmed
- Revelos K, Petraki C, Gregorakis A, Scorilas A, Papanastasiou P, Tenta R, et al. p27(kip1) and Ki-67 (MIB1) immunohistochemical expression in radical prostatectomy specimens of patients with clinically localized prostate cancer. In Vivo. 2005;19:911-20 pubmed
- Christopoulos C, Antoniou N, Thempeyioti A, Calender A, Economopoulos P. Familial multiple endocrine neoplasia type I: the urologist is first on the scene. BJU Int. 2005;96:884-7 pubmed..In the presence of a family history of renal stones, appropriate investigations may lead to the timely diagnosis of this important, albeit rare, disorder. ..
- Stasinopoulos D, Stasinopoulos I. Comparison of effects of Cyriax physiotherapy, a supervised exercise programme and polarized polychromatic non-coherent light (Bioptron light) for the treatment of lateral epicondylitis. Clin Rehabil. 2006;20:12-23 pubmed..To compare the effectiveness of Cyriax physiotherapy, a supervised exercise programme, and polarized polychromatic non-coherent light (Bioptron light) in the treatment of lateral epicondylitis...
- Gouveris P, Lazaris A, Papathomas T, Nonni A, Kyriakou V, Delladetsima J, et al. Topoisomerase I protein expression in primary colorectal cancer and recurrences after 5-FU-based adjuvant chemotherapy. J Cancer Res Clin Oncol. 2007;133:1011-5 pubmed
- Manios Y, Moschonis G, Trovas G, Lyritis G. Changes in biochemical indexes of bone metabolism and bone mineral density after a 12-mo dietary intervention program: the Postmenopausal Health Study. Am J Clin Nutr. 2007;86:781-9 pubmed
- Koutsourelakis I, Georgoulopoulos G, Perraki E, Vagiakis E, Roussos C, Zakynthinos S. Randomised trial of nasal surgery for fixed nasal obstruction in obstructive sleep apnoea. Eur Respir J. 2008;31:110-7 pubmed..6% specificity) responders/nonresponders. In conclusion, nasal surgery rarely treats obstructive sleep apnoea effectively. Baseline nasal breathing epochs can predict the surgery outcome...
- Pantazis G, Tsitsopoulos P, Bibis A, Mihas C, Chatzistamou I, Kouzelis C. Symptomatic ossification of the ligamentum flavum at the lumbar spine: a retrospective study. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2008;33:306-11 pubmed publisher..A retrospective study on 9 patients treated for ossification of the ligamentum flavum (OLF) at the lumbar spine...
- Ferekidou E, Eleftheriadou A, Zarikas V, Kandiloros D, Yiotakis I, Ferekidis E, et al. Acoustic stapedial reflex in normal adults: biological behavior and determination of threshold levels. ORL J Otorhinolaryngol Relat Spec. 2008;70:176-84 pubmed publisher..To record acoustic reflex thresholds for admittance (Y) and its components, susceptance (B) and conductance (G) in healthy subjects and to establish normative data...
- Bamias G, Siakavellas S, Stamatelopoulos K, Chryssochoou E, Papamichael C, Sfikakis P. Circulating levels of TNF-like cytokine 1A (TL1A) and its decoy receptor 3 (DcR3) in rheumatoid arthritis. Clin Immunol. 2008;129:249-55 pubmed publisher..Treatment with an anti-TNF agent significantly decreased TL1A serum levels. We conclude that TL1A may serve as an inflammatory marker in RA. Interactions between TL1A and its receptors may be important in the pathogenesis of RA. ..
- Babis G, Zahos K, Tsailas P, Karaliotas G, Kanellakopoulou K, Soucacos P. Treatment of stage III-A-1 and III-B-1 periprosthetic knee infection with two-stage exchange arthroplasty and articulating spacer. J Surg Orthop Adv. 2008;17:173-8 pubmed..Excellent long-term results can be achieved for patients staged as III-A-1 and III-B-1 according to the Musculoskeletal Infection Society staging system, when treated with the aforementioned protocol and intravenous antibiotics. ..
- Maltezou H, Papa A, Tsiodras S, Dalla V, Maltezos E, Antoniadis A. Crimean-Congo hemorrhagic fever in Greece: a public health perspective. Int J Infect Dis. 2009;13:713-6 pubmed publisher..We present herein the public health interventions and the case definitions we developed for the epidemiological investigation. The possibility of CCHF establishing endemicity in this area is discussed. ..
- Papamichael K, Tsirogianni A, Papasteriades C, Mantzaris G. Low prevalence of antibodies to cyclic citrullinated peptide in patients with inflammatory bowel disease regardless of the presence of arthritis. Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2010;22:705-9 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that the prevalence of anti-CCP antibodies is very low in IBD patients regardless of the presence of arthritis and/or of IFX treatment. ..
- Ntala P, Niarchou A, Polyzois G, Frangou M. Screening of edentulous patients in a dental school population using the prosthodontic diagnostic index. Gerodontology. 2010;27:114-20 pubmed publisher..This indicates the need to introduce a proper screening tool, such as the PDIs, during the initial examination, to achieve a successful treatment. ..
- Tzanakis N, Peros G, Karakitsos P, Giannopoulos G, Efstathiou S, Rallis G, et al. Prognostic significance of p53 and Ki67 proteins expression in Greek gastric cancer patients. Acta Chir Belg. 2009;109:606-11 pubmed..The routine evaluation of p53 and Ki67 levels could be a useful tool in identification of patient with more aggressive disease and contribute to a better therapeutic approach. ..
- Pagaki E, Patsouris E, Gonidi M, Athanassiadou A, Maurikakis M, Athanassiades P, et al. The value of E-cadherin/beta-catenin expression in imprints of NCSLC: relationship with clinicopathological factors. Diagn Cytopathol. 2010;38:419-24 pubmed publisher..05 for all) and E-cadherin/beta-catenin expression.Reduced E-cadherin or beta-catenin negative expression relates to dedifferentiation and progression of NSCLC. ..
- Filis K, Kavantzas N, Isopoulos T, Antonakis P, Sigalas P, Vavouranakis E, et al. Increased vein wall apoptosis in varicose vein disease is related to venous hypertension. Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg. 2011;41:533-9 pubmed publisher..Patients with varicose vein disease show increased apoptosis in the distal saphenous trunk compared with the proximal saphenous trunk, suggesting an association between chronic venous hypertension and apoptosis. ..
- Maltezou H, Katerelos P, Poufta S, Pavli A, Maragos A, Theodoridou M. Attitudes toward mandatory occupational vaccinations and vaccination coverage against vaccine-preventable diseases of health care workers in primary health care centers. Am J Infect Control. 2013;41:66-70 pubmed publisher..Despite the fact that two-thirds of HCWs working in primary health care centers in Greece support mandatory vaccination for HCWs, completed vaccination rates against vaccine-preventable diseases are suboptimal. ..
- Achtsidis V, Tentolouris N, Theodoropoulou S, Panagiotidis D, Vaikoussis E, Saldana M, et al. Dry eye in Graves ophthalmopathy: correlation with corneal hypoesthesia. Eur J Ophthalmol. 2013;23:473-9 pubmed publisher..To evaluate dry eye disease and corneal sensitivity in patients with early and active Graves ophthalmopathy (GO)...
- Maniotis C, Koutouzis M, Andreou C, Lazaris E, Tsiafoutis I, Zografos T, et al. Transradial Approach for Cardiac Catheterization in Patients With Negative Allen's Test. J Invasive Cardiol. 2015;27:416-20 pubmed..Transradial approach for coronary angiography and ad hoc angioplasty can be performed with similar efficacy and safety regardless of the Allen's test results before the procedure. ..
- Zis P, Stritsou P, Angelidakis P, Tavernarakis A. Herpes Simplex Virus Type 2 Encephalitis as a Cause of Ischemic Stroke: Case Report and Systematic Review of the Literature. J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis. 2016;25:335-9 pubmed publisher..Clinicians should include HSV CNS infection as a possible cause of ischemic stroke, especially in young patients with ischemic stroke of unknown etiology. ..
- Zouros E, Liakakos T, Machairas A, Patapis P, Agalianos C, Dervenis C. Improvement of gastric emptying by enhanced recovery after pancreaticoduodenectomy. Hepatobiliary Pancreat Dis Int. 2016;15:198-208 pubmed..ERAS pathway was feasible and safe in improving gastric emptying, yielding an earlier postoperative recovery, and reducing the length of hospital stay. ..
- Chatzipanagiotou S, Legakis J, Boufidou F, Petroyianni V, Nicolaou C. Prevalence of Yersinia plasmid-encoded outer protein (Yop) class-specific antibodies in patients with Hashimoto's thyroiditis. Clin Microbiol Infect. 2001;7:138-43 pubmed..Further investigation concerning the mechanisms involved and the possible effects of antibacterial chemotherapy on the outcome of Hashimoto's disease is warranted. ..
- Stathopoulos G, Boulikas T, Vougiouka M, Deliconstantinos G, Rigatos S, Darli E, et al. Pharmacokinetics and adverse reactions of a new liposomal cisplatin (Lipoplatin): phase I study. Oncol Rep. 2005;13:589-95 pubmed..Urine excretion reached about 40% of the infused dose in 3 days. The data demonstrate that Lipoplatin up to a dose of 125 mg/m2 every 14 days has no nephrotoxicity and it lacks the serious side effects of cisplatin. ..
- Varkarakis I, Delis A, Papatsoris A, Deliveliotis C. Use of external ureteral catheters and internal double J stents in a modified ileal neobladder for continent diversion: a comparative analysis. Urol Int. 2005;75:139-43 pubmed..With double J stents a shorter hospital stay was achieved with similar complication rates but a higher incidence of upper urinary tract infections. ..
- Sgouros S, Bergele C, Mantides A. Eosinophilic esophagitis in adults: a systematic review. Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2006;18:211-7 pubmed..An esophageal motility disorder should be a novel indication for biopsies in adults with long-lasting dysphagia. A trial with corticosteroids before bougienage may reduce active inflammation and the complication rate. ..
- Voskaridou E, Stoupa E, Antoniadou L, Premetis E, Konstantopoulos K, Papassotiriou I, et al. Osteoporosis and osteosclerosis in sickle cell/beta-thalassemia: the role of the RANKL/osteoprotegerin axis. Haematologica. 2006;91:813-6 pubmed..The RANKL/ osteoprotegerin axis participates in these phenomena...
- Kastritis E, Efstathiou E, Gika D, Bozas G, Koutsoukou V, Papadimitriou C, et al. Brain metastases as isolated site of relapse in patients with epithelial ovarian cancer previously treated with platinum and paclitaxel-based chemotherapy. Int J Gynecol Cancer. 2006;16:994-9 pubmed..Patients with isolated brain metastases have comparable survival to patients with relapse outside the CNS, and long-term remission can be achieved in some cases, provided that systemic chemotherapy is added to local treatment. ..
- Alevizaki M, Saltiki K, Cimponeriu A, Kanakakis I, Xita N, Alevizaki C, et al. Severity of cardiovascular disease in postmenopausal women: associations with common estrogen receptor alpha polymorphic variants. Eur J Endocrinol. 2007;156:489-96 pubmed..Similar associations have been reported for men with CAD. These polymorphisms should probably be taken into account when associations with estrogenic actions are examined. ..
- Charalampopoulos A, Lazaris A, Misiakos E, Liakakos S, Macheras A, Peschos D, et al. Acute septic cholelithiasic cholecystitis and adenocarcinoma of the gallbladder; an interesting association. Acta Gastroenterol Belg. 2007;70:267-70 pubmed..Imaging studies before surgery may detect the carcinoma; in most cases carcinomas are inoperable, although colecystectomy may be performed during surgery. ..
- Tzathas C, Triantafyllou K, Mallas E, Triantafyllou G, Ladas S. Effect of Helicobacter pylori eradication and antisecretory maintenance therapy on peptic ulcer recurrence in cirrhotic patients: a prospective, cohort 2-year follow-up study. J Clin Gastroenterol. 2008;42:744-9 pubmed publisher..H. pylori eradication does not protect all cirrhotics from ulcer recurrence and the majority of ulcers recur in H. pylori negative patients. Therefore, omeprazole maintenance treatment is mandatory, irrespectively of H. pylori status. ..
- Dalamaga M, Karmaniolas K, Nikolaidou A, Papadavid E. Hypocalcemia, hypomagnesemia, and hypokalemia following hydrofluoric acid chemical injury. J Burn Care Res. 2008;29:541-3 pubmed publisher..Successful treatment included administration of calcium gluconate and magnesium both intravenously and topically...
- Petridou E, Mitsiades N, Gialamas S, Angelopoulos M, Skalkidou A, Dessypris N, et al. Circulating adiponectin levels and expression of adiponectin receptors in relation to lung cancer: two case-control studies. Oncology. 2007;73:261-9 pubmed publisher..These findings should be further explored, especially in the context of the recently reported protective effect of thiazolidinediones in diabetic patients with lung cancer. ..
- Zografos G, Zagouri F, Sergentanis T, Gounaris A, Pararas N, Oikonomou V, et al. Evaluation of pain experienced during breast ductal endoscopy. Surg Today. 2008;38:886-9 pubmed publisher..A standard, baseline local lidocaine dose of greater than 10 ml may be necessary at the beginning of the procedure. Late insertion of the dilator seems to be an indicator of the force of the procedure. ..
- Markianos M, Panas M, Kalfakis N, Vassilopoulos D. Plasma homovanillic acid and prolactin in Huntington's disease. Neurochem Res. 2009;34:917-22 pubmed publisher..Plasma HVA levels may be proven to be a peripheral index of disease progression. Reducing dopaminergic activity may have not only symptomatic, but also neuroprotective effects in HD. ..
- Tsikrikas S, Manolakopoulos S, Deutsch M, Alexakis G, Sialevris K, Giannopoulos D, et al. Unusual combination of paraneoplastic manifestations in a patient with metastatic gastrointestinal stromal tumor (GIST). Scand J Gastroenterol. 2008;43:1012-5 pubmed..We present the case of a 54-year-old patient with metastatic GIST at diagnosis and the emergence of paraneoplastic manifestations during follow-up. ..
- Trichopoulou A, Bamia C, Lagiou P, Trichopoulos D. Conformity to traditional Mediterranean diet and breast cancer risk in the Greek EPIC (European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition) cohort. Am J Clin Nutr. 2010;92:620-5 pubmed publisher..05). Conformity to the traditional Mediterranean diet may be associated with lower breast cancer risk among postmenopausal women and could explain, in part, the lower incidence of this disease in Mediterranean countries. ..
- Kostopanagiotou G, Kalimeris K, Kesidis K, Matsota P, Dima C, Economou M, et al. Sevoflurane impairs post-operative olfactory memory but preserves olfactory function. Eur J Anaesthesiol. 2011;28:63-8 pubmed publisher..The misinterpretation of odours in the immediate post-operative period by sevoflurane could be mediated by the decreased levels of melatonin. ..
- Papapanagiotou P, Iacovidou N, Spengos K, Xanthos T, Zaganas I, Aggelina A, et al. Temporal trends and associated factors for pre-hospital and in-hospital delays of stroke patients over a 16-year period: the Athens study. Cerebrovasc Dis. 2011;31:199-206 pubmed publisher..Public awareness and education regarding medical and paramedical services are necessary for the best early management of acute stroke patients. ..
- Nikitakis N, Polymeri A, Polymeris A, Sklavounou A. Metastatic papillary thyroid carcinoma to the maxilla: case report and literature review. Head Neck Pathol. 2012;6:216-23 pubmed publisher..A thorough review of the English language literature revealed only 36 previously published cases of thyroid cancer metastases to the oral cavity, the demographic and clinicopathologic features of which are summarized. ..
- Theodoropoulos G, Saridakis V, Karantanos T, Michalopoulos N, Zagouri F, Kontogianni P, et al. Toll-like receptors gene polymorphisms may confer increased susceptibility to breast cancer development. Breast. 2012;21:534-8 pubmed publisher..The -174 to -196del of TLR2 gene and Asp299Gly of TLR4 gene polymorphisms may confer an increased susceptibility to breast cancer development. ..
- Lytras D, Leontara V, Kefala M, Foukas P, Giannakou N, Pouliakis A, et al. Microvessel Landscape Assessment in Pancreatic Ductal Adenocarcinoma: Unclear Value of Targeting Endoglin (CD105) as Prognostic Factor of Clinical Outcome. Pancreas. 2015;44:87-92 pubmed publisher..05). Survival was also marginally associated with CD31 intratumoral microvascular area (log rank, P 0.05). Further studies are needed before endoglin replaces the conventional angiogenesis markers in PDCA. ..
- Giannopoulos G, Kossyvakis C, Angelidis C, Efremidis M, Panagopoulou V, Letsas K, et al. Amino-terminal B-natriuretic peptide levels and postablation recurrence in hypertensive patients with paroxysmal atrial fibrillation. Heart Rhythm. 2015;12:1470-5 pubmed publisher..However, it seems that adjustment for other covariates, including the number of AF episodes within the previous year, renders this association nonsignificant. ..
- Zhao Z, Wen W, Michailidou K, Bolla M, Wang Q, Zhang B, et al. Association of genetic susceptibility variants for type 2 diabetes with breast cancer risk in women of European ancestry. Cancer Causes Control. 2016;27:679-93 pubmed publisher..95-0.99, p = 8.05E-04). We have shown that several genetic risk variants were associated with the risk of both T2D and breast cancer. However, overall genetic susceptibility to T2D may not be related to breast cancer risk. ..
- Muller D, Murphy N, Johansson M, Ferrari P, Tsilidis K, Boutron Ruault M, et al. Modifiable causes of premature death in middle-age in Western Europe: results from the EPIC cohort study. BMC Med. 2016;14:87 pubmed publisher..Any attempt to minimise premature deaths will ultimately require all six factors to be addressed. ..
- Katsarou O, Theodosiades G, Ioannidou P, Nomikou E, Tsevrenis B, Kouraba A, et al. Pegylated interferon plus ribavirin combination therapy for chronic hepatitis C in patients with congenital coagulation disorders. Acta Haematol. 2008;120:63-9 pubmed publisher..Careful evaluation and several considerations are needed before starting treatment in this population. ..
- Machairas A, Liakakos T, Patapis P, Petropoulos C, Tsapralis D, Misiakos E. Prosthetic repair of incisional hernia combined with elective bowel operation. Surgeon. 2008;6:274-7 pubmed..It is unjustifiable to avoid the use of mesh in a potentially contaminated field when an appropriate technique is used. ..
- Goulas S, Triantafyllidou K, Karagiannis S, Nicolaou P, Galanis P, Vafiadis I, et al. Capsule endoscopy in the investigation of patients with portal hypertension and anemia. Can J Gastroenterol. 2008;22:469-74 pubmed..CE of the SB added a significant number of likely important findings to those detected by conventional endoscopic techniques for the clinical management of patients with PHT and anemia. ..
- Makrythanasis P, Tzetis M, Rapti A, Papatheodorou A, Tsipi M, Kitsiou S, et al. Cystic fibrosis conductance regulator, tumor necrosis factor, interferon alpha-10, interferon alpha-17, and interferon gamma genotyping as potential risk markers in pulmonary sarcoidosis pathogenesis in Greek patients. Genet Test Mol Biomarkers. 2010;14:577-84 pubmed publisher
- Papageorgiou S, Kontos C, Pappa V, Thomadaki H, Kontsioti F, Dervenoulas J, et al. The novel member of the BCL2 gene family, BCL2L12, is substantially elevated in chronic lymphocytic leukemia patients, supporting its value as a significant biomarker. Oncologist. 2011;16:1280-91 pubmed publisher..Finally, high BCL2L12 mRNA levels are associated with advanced clinical stage and predict shorter overall survival in CLL patients. ..
- Anastasakis A, Theopistou A, Rigopoulos A, Kotsiopoulou C, Georgopoulos S, Fragakis K, et al. Sudden cardiac death: investigation of the classical risk factors in a community-based hypertrophic cardiomyopathy cohort. Hellenic J Cardiol. 2013;54:281-8 pubmed..In this community-based HCM population, the risk factors for sudden death were similar to those found in referral cohorts. ..
- Kassimatis T, Nomikos A, Giannopoulou I, Lymperopoulos A, Moutzouris D, Varakis I, et al. Transcription factor Sp1 expression is upregulated in human glomerulonephritis: correlation with pSmad2/3 and p300 expression and renal injury. Ren Fail. 2010;32:243-53 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest a possible cooperation of Sp1 with pSmad2/3 and p300 in mediating renal injury as well as a possible role for this molecule in the pathogenesis and the progression of human GN. ..
- Laskari K, Zintzaras E, Tzioufas A. Ovarian function is preserved in women with severe systemic lupus erythematosus after a 6-month course of cyclophosphamide followed by mycophenolate mofetil. Clin Exp Rheumatol. 2010;28:83-6 pubmed..To evaluate whether a short duration treatment with cyclophosphamide (CYC) followed by mycophenolate mofetil (MMF) is associated with preservation of the ovarian function in female patients with systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE)...
- Tountas Y, Oikonomou N, Pallikarona G, Dimitrakaki C, Tzavara C, Souliotis K, et al. Sociodemographic and socioeconomic determinants of health services utilization in Greece: the Hellas Health I study. Health Serv Manage Res. 2011;24:8-18 pubmed publisher..Only hospital admissions were not directly influenced by demographic and socioeconomic factors. The findings imply the existence of inequities in access and use of primary health services with clear implications to related policies. ..
- Andrikopoulos G, Tzeis S, Mantas I, Olympios C, Kitsiou A, Kartalis A, et al. Epidemiological characteristics and in-hospital management of acute coronary syndrome patients in Greece: results from the TARGET study. Hellenic J Cardiol. 2012;53:33-40 pubmed..The prescription pattern of evidence-based medications has improved considerably, while there remains considerable room for improvement in expanding the implementation of invasive management in realworld clinical practice. ..
- Adamopoulou M, Kalkani E, Charvalos E, Avgoustidis D, Haidopoulos D, Yapijakis C. Comparison of cytology, colposcopy, HPV typing and biomarker analysis in cervical neoplasia. Anticancer Res. 2009;29:3401-9 pubmed..23, p<0.001), and 35-fold in case of colposcopically detected cervical neoplasia (OR: 35.00; CI: 5.16- 225.07, p<0.001). The most efficient combination among all tested methodologies was found to be HPV typing with colposcopy. ..
- Toutouzas K, Patsa C, Synetos A, Karanasos A, Karampelas J, Tsiamis E, et al. The impact of new generation drug-eluting stent implantation on patients with chronic kidney disease and a single lesion in the proximal segment of the left anterior descending artery. Hellenic J Cardiol. 2011;52:103-10 pubmed..However, the higher mortality in patients with CKD needs further evaluation. ..
- Tofas P, Skiada A, Angelopoulou M, Sipsas N, Pavlopoulou I, Tsaousi S, et al. Carbapenemase-producing Klebsiella pneumoniae bloodstream infections in neutropenic patients with haematological malignancies or aplastic anaemia: Analysis of 50 cases. Int J Antimicrob Agents. 2016;47:335-9 pubmed publisher..23-12.65; P=0.02) were independent predictors of death, whilst combination therapy was associated with lower mortality. These findings may assist physicians in making treatment decisions for neutropenic patients with CP-Kp infections. ..
- Katoulis A, Stavrianeas N, Katsarou A, Antoniou C, Georgala S, Rigopoulos D, et al. Evaluation of the role of contact sensitization and photosensitivity in the pathogenesis of poikiloderma of Civatte. Br J Dermatol. 2002;147:493-7 pubmed..Reticular pigmentation may result from a delayed hypersensitivity reaction to perfume and/or cosmetic ingredients. Patch testing with the standard series and avoidance of documented allergens may be of value in patients with PC. ..
- Kararizou E, Manta P, Kalfakis N, Vassilopoulos D. Morphometric study of the human muscle spindle. Anal Quant Cytol Histol. 2005;27:1-4 pubmed..In the deltoid, a reduction in the number of fibers and an increase in their diameter were also observed. These findings could prove useful in the study of the spindle in relation to disease. ..
- Milingos S, Protopapas A, Papadimitriou C, Rodolakis A, Kallipolitis G, Skartados N, et al. Laparoscopy in the evaluation of women with unexplained ascites: an invaluable diagnostic tool. J Minim Invasive Gynecol. 2007;14:43-8 pubmed..The diagnosis can be accurately made with selective biopsy specimens, and appropriate treatment can be instituted without delay. ..
- Mavrogeni S, Sfikakis P, Dimitroulas T, Koutsogeorgopoulou L, Karabela G, Katsifis G, et al. Imaging Patterns of Cardiovascular Involvement in Mixed Connective Tissue Disease Evaluated by Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance. Inflamm Allergy Drug Targets. 2015;14:111-6 pubmed
- Lazaris A, Paraskevakou H, Davaris P. A solitary cutaneous tumor with distinct areas of verruca and seborrheic keratosis-like lesion. Pathol Oncol Res. 1999;5:320-3 pubmed..In the verrucous component p53 protein was overexpressed and, additionally, increased Ki-67 immunopositive signals were detected, being localized below the HPV-DNA-expressing spinous cells. ..
- Sakkas P, Psarros C, Papadimitriou G, Theleritis C, Soldatos C. Repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation (rTMS) in a patient suffering from comorbid depression and panic disorder following a myocardial infarction. Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry. 2006;30:960-2 pubmed..Application of repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation was effective and safe in treating a 55-year-old man with comorbid depression and panic disorder, which occurred 6 months after a myocardial infarction. ..
- Papatheodoridis G, Idilman R, Dalekos G, Buti M, Chi H, van Boemmel F, et al. The risk of hepatocellular carcinoma decreases after the first 5 years of entecavir or tenofovir in Caucasians with chronic hepatitis B. Hepatology. 2017;66:1444-1453 pubmed publisher..Hepatology 2017;66:1444-1453). ..
- Safioleas M, Misiakos E, Kouvaraki M, Stamatakos M, Manti C, Felekouras E. Hydatid disease of the liver: a continuing surgical problem. Arch Surg. 2006;141:1101-8 pubmed..To study the results of different surgical strategies in the treatment of liver hydatid disease...
- Garouniatis A, Zizi Sermpetzoglou A, Rizos S, Kostakis A, Nikiteas N, Papavassiliou A. FAK, CD44v6, c-Met and EGFR in colorectal cancer parameters: tumour progression, metastasis, patient survival and receptor crosstalk. Int J Colorectal Dis. 2013;28:9-18 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, we provide additional evidence for receptor interaction, properly clarifying their importance, which could potentially lead to more effective anti-CRC regimens. ..
- Karmiris K, Avgerinos A, Tavernaraki A, Zeglinas C, Karatzas P, Koukouratos T, et al. Prevalence and Characteristics of Extra-intestinal Manifestations in a Large Cohort of Greek Patients with Inflammatory Bowel Disease. J Crohns Colitis. 2016;10:429-36 pubmed publisher..Of those, more than one-third had their EIM diagnosed before IBD, and in about two-thirds it was related to disease activity. EIMs were more frequently present in females and patients with extensive UC in multivariate analysis. ..
- Ladas I, Karagiannis D, Georgalas I, Rouvas A, Moschos M, Apostolopoulos M. Polypoidal choroidal vasculopathy associated with Doyne's familial choroiditis: treatment with thermal laser. Eur J Ophthalmol. 2004;14:264-8 pubmed..To report the unusual occurrence of polypoidal choroidal vasculopathy (PCV) in a patient with Doyne's familial honeycomb choroiditis (DFHC) and its course after laser treatment...
- Markianos M, Panas M, Kalfakis N, Hatzimanolis J, Vassilopoulos D. Neuroendocrine evidence of normal hypothalamus-pituitary dopaminergic function in Huntington's disease. Neuro Endocrinol Lett. 2010;31:359-62 pubmed..In addition to neuronal loss in striatum and cerebral cortex that characterizes Huntington's disease (HD), hypothalamic atrophy has also been found only in certain areas, probably not including dopaminergic functions...