Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on humans in Athens, Attica, Greece
Locale: Athens, Attica, Greece
Publications1020 found, 100 shown here
- Stamatakos M, Sargedi C, Angelousi A, Kontzoglou K, Safioleas P, Petropoulou C, et al. Management of the rare entity of primary pancreatic cystic neoplasms. J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2009;24:1203-10 pubmed publisher..Because of the low mortality and low postoperative morbidity, surgical resection is indicated in all patients with cystic tumors. ..
- Apostolopoulou E, Raftopoulos V, Terzis K, Elefsiniotis I. Infection Probability Score, APACHE II and KARNOFSKY scoring systems as predictors of bloodstream infection onset in hematology-oncology patients. BMC Infect Dis. 2010;10:135 pubmed publisher..9% Between the three different prognostic scoring systems, Infection Probability Score had the best sensitivity in predicting Bloodstream Infections. ..
- Tsekoura E, Konstantinidou A, Papadopoulou S, Athanasiou S, Spanakis N, Kafetzis D, et al. Adenovirus genome in the placenta: association with histological chorioamnionitis and preterm birth. J Med Virol. 2010;82:1379-83 pubmed publisher..026) as well as compared to term adenovirus-positive placentas (75% vs. 19%; P = 0.003). This study demonstrates that adenovirus infection of the placenta is associated strongly with histological chorioamnionitis and preterm birth. ..
- Bathrellou E, Yannakoulia M, Papanikolaou K, Pehlivanidis A, Pervanidou P, Kanaka Gantenbein C, et al. Parental involvement does not augment the effectiveness of an intense behavioral program for the treatment of childhood obesity. Hormones (Athens). 2010;9:171-5 pubmed..In the setting of the present study, the active parental involvement did not significantly modify the results of lifestyle interventions for children's overweight management. ..
- Kanellopoulou T, Alexopoulou A, Theodossiades G, Koskinas J, Archimandritis A. Pylephlebitis: an overview of non-cirrhotic cases and factors related to outcome. Scand J Infect Dis. 2010;42:804-11 pubmed publisher..Anticoagulation has a rather beneficial effect on patients with pylephlebitis. ..
- Kolialexi A, Anagnostopoulos A, Papantoniou N, Vougas K, Antsaklis A, Fountoulakis M, et al. Potential biomarkers for Turner in maternal plasma: possibility for noninvasive prenatal diagnosis. J Proteome Res. 2010;9:5164-70 pubmed publisher..Nevertheless, testing a larger cohort of pregnant women is necessary to evaluate the relevance of the reported findings. ..
- Stagas M, Papaetis G, Orphanidou D, Kostopoulos C, Syriou S, Reczko M, et al. Polymorphisms of the NRAMP1 gene: distribution and susceptibility to the development of pulmonary tuberculosis in the Greek population. Med Sci Monit. 2011;17:PH1-6 pubmed..tuberculosis latent infection. The possible role of INT4-NRAMP1 polymorphism in the development of active pulmonary tuberculosis needs further investigation. ..
- Stefanidis C, Querfeld U. The podocyte as a target: cyclosporin A in the management of the nephrotic syndrome caused by WT1 mutations. Eur J Pediatr. 2011;170:1377-83 pubmed publisher..We review recent data on the role of WT1 in the development of WT1-GP and discuss putative therapeutic targets explaining the therapeutic effect of CsA. ..
- Kontogiorgi M, Opsimoulis P, Kopterides P, Savva A, Kalodimou V, Belesiotou E, et al. Pulmonary nocardiosis in an immunocompetent patient with COPD: the role of defective innate response. Heart Lung. 2013;42:247-50 pubmed publisher..We provide preliminary evidence for a link between defective innate immune responses and predisposition for Nocardia infections. Further studies must be conducted in order to fully investigate this mechanism of infection acquisition. ..
- Andrikopoulos G, Fragoulakis V, Maniadakis N. Economic evaluation of dabigatran etexilate in the management of atrial fibrillation in Greece. Hellenic J Cardiol. 2013;54:289-300 pubmed..Dabigatran etexilate may represent a cost-effective option for the prevention of thromboembolic events in AF patients at moderate-to-high risk of stroke or systemic embolism. ..
- Voudris K, Vagiakou E, Skardoutsou A. Acute disseminated encephalomyelitis associated with parainfluenza virus infection of childhood. Brain Dev. 2002;24:112-4 pubmed..At present, 3 years later, no relapse has been reported and she is leading a normal life. Our case is of interest because of its rarity, the striking brain magnetic resonance imaging, and the good neurological outcome...
- Tsolia M, Theodoridou M, Tzanakaki G, Kalabalikis P, Urani E, Mostrou G, et al. The evolving epidemiology of invasive meningococcal disease: a two-year prospective, population-based study in children in the area of Athens. FEMS Immunol Med Microbiol. 2003;36:87-94 pubmed..The epidemiological and clinical profile of meningococcal disease appears to be rapidly evolving and close monitoring is required particularly for input into decisions regarding use of meningococcal vaccines. ..
- Karadimas P, Kapetanios A, Bouzas E. Central serous chorioretinopathy after local application of glucocorticoids for skin disorders. Arch Ophthalmol. 2004;122:784-6 pubmed
- Thanopoulos B, Rigby M. Outcome of transcatheter closure of muscular ventricular septal defects with the Amplatzer ventricular septal defect occluder. Heart. 2005;91:513-6 pubmed..2 years (range 0.25-4.5 years). The AVSDO is an efficient prosthesis that can be safely used in the majority of patients with a single MVSD. Further studies are required to establish long term results in a larger patient population. ..
- Sfagos C, Makis A, Chaidos A, Hatzimichael E, Dalamaga A, Kosma K, et al. Serum ferritin, transferrin and soluble transferrin receptor levels in multiple sclerosis patients. Mult Scler. 2005;11:272-5 pubmed..The mild elevation of sTFR levels in CP-S patients may indicate active inflammation with ongoing oxidative damage that is not detectable by history or examination...
- Poulios E, Trougakos I, Gonos E. Comparative effects of hypoxia on normal and immortalized human diploid fibroblasts. Anticancer Res. 2006;26:2165-8 pubmed..These findings indicate that the distinct cellular contexts of normal and immortalized HDFs may induce differential responses to hypoxia. ..
- Malamitsi Puchner A, Nikolaou K, Economou E, Boutsikou M, Boutsikou T, Kyriakakou M, et al. Intrauterine growth restriction and circulating neurotrophin levels at term. Early Hum Dev. 2007;83:465-9 pubmed..NGF is the only neurotrophin correlating with customized centiles and birthweights of the infants. Neurotrophin concentrations are higher in maternal plasma and do not depend on gender. ..
- Tzathas C, Triantafyllou K, Mallas E, Triantafyllou G, Ladas S. Effect of Helicobacter pylori eradication and antisecretory maintenance therapy on peptic ulcer recurrence in cirrhotic patients: a prospective, cohort 2-year follow-up study. J Clin Gastroenterol. 2008;42:744-9 pubmed publisher..H. pylori eradication does not protect all cirrhotics from ulcer recurrence and the majority of ulcers recur in H. pylori negative patients. Therefore, omeprazole maintenance treatment is mandatory, irrespectively of H. pylori status. ..
- Sfyroeras G, Karkos C, Gerassimidis T. Cerebral perfusion patterns in patients with extracranial carotid atherosclerosis and the impact of carotid stenting. A review. J Cardiovasc Surg (Torino). 2008;49:497-502 pubmed..The present work is a literature review of cerebral perfusion patterns in normal individuals and in patients with carotid artery stenosis prior to and after carotid stenting. ..
- Stergiou G, Rarra V, Yiannes N. Prevalence and predictors of masked hypertension detected by home blood pressure monitoring in children and adolescents: the Arsakeion School study. Am J Hypertens. 2009;22:520-4 pubmed publisher..Repeated office measurements are essential for the precise diagnosis. MH and WCH in children appear to be intermediate phenotypes of hypertension. ..
- Vadalouca A, Moka E, Chatzidimitriou A, Siafaka I, Sikioti P, Argyra E. A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study of preemptively administered intravenous parecoxib: effect on anxiety levels and procedural pain during epidural catheter placement for surgical operations or for chronic pain therapy. Pain Pract. 2009;9:181-94 pubmed publisher..Parecoxib seems to exert positive influence on pain and anxiety levels of interventional procedure. Further studies are needed to elucidate the actual mechanisms that are involved. ..
- Routsias J, Kyriakidis N, Latreille M, Tzioufas A. RNA recognition motif (RRM) of La/SSB: the bridge for interparticle spreading of autoimmune response to U1-RNP. Mol Med. 2010;16:19-26 pubmed publisher..Identification of key sequences that trigger and perpetuate the autoimmune process is particularly important for understanding pathogenetic mechanisms in autoimmunity. ..
- Yannakoulia M, Ntalla I, Papoutsakis C, Farmaki A, Dedoussis G. Consumption of vegetables, cooked meals, and eating dinner is negatively associated with overweight status in children. J Pediatr. 2010;157:815-20 pubmed publisher..Although these results are hypothesis-generating and need replication, they suggest potential preventive approaches, interventional approaches, or both to combat childhood obesity. ..
- Laskari K, Mavragani C, Tzioufas A, Moutsopoulos H. Mycophenolate mofetil as maintenance therapy for proliferative lupus nephritis: a long-term observational prospective study. Arthritis Res Ther. 2010;12:R208 pubmed publisher..None of the patients developed chronic renal insufficiency or died from any cause. MMF appeared to be efficacious and safe as maintenance treatment for proliferative lupus nephritis. ..
- Giannopoulos G, Digalakis M. Surgical pancreatic sphincteroplasty. Historic or history ? A review. Acta Chir Belg. 2010;110:569-74 pubmed..Bariatric patients with gastric by-pass and sphincter Oddi dysfunction in particular, have reported to show excellent outcome after surgery. Regardless the method, patient selection is still a very important determinant of success. ..
- Detopoulou P, Fragopoulou E, Nomikos T, Antonopoulou S, Kotroyiannis I, Vassiliadou C, et al. Baseline and 6-Week follow-up levels of PAF and activity of its metabolic enzymes in patients with heart failure and healthy volunteers--a pilot study. Angiology. 2013;64:522-8 pubmed publisher..004) and Lp-PLA2 (P < .001) remained elevated compared with the controls. Newly diagnosed patients with HF under drug treatment have an affected profile of PAF biosynthetic enzymes and especially lyso-PAF-AT. ..
- Tzouvelekis L, Markogiannakis A, Psichogiou M, Tassios P, Daikos G. Carbapenemases in Klebsiella pneumoniae and other Enterobacteriaceae: an evolving crisis of global dimensions. Clin Microbiol Rev. 2012;25:682-707 pubmed publisher..Fortunately, there are sound studies showing successful containment of CPE by bundles of measures, among which the most important are active surveillance cultures, separation of carriers, and assignment of dedicated nursing staff. ..
- Magiatis P, Pappas P, Gaitanis G, Mexia N, Melliou E, Galanou M, et al. Malassezia yeasts produce a collection of exceptionally potent activators of the Ah (dioxin) receptor detected in diseased human skin. J Invest Dermatol. 2013;133:2023-30 pubmed publisher..In loco synthesis of these highly potent AhR inducers by Malassezia yeasts could have a significant impact on skin homeostatic mechanisms and disease development. ..
- Leventaki V, Drakos E, Karanikou M, Psatha K, Lin P, Schlette E, et al. c-JUN N-terminal kinase (JNK) is activated and contributes to tumor cell proliferation in classical Hodgkin lymphoma. Hum Pathol. 2014;45:565-72 pubmed publisher..JNK is highly activated in HRS cells, and may contribute to uncontrolled cell cycle progression and proliferation of tumor cells in cHL. ..
- Skouroliakou M, Konstantinou D, Agakidis C, Kaliora A, Kalogeropoulos N, Massara P, et al. Parenteral MCT/Ï‰-3 Polyunsaturated Fatty Acid-Enriched Intravenous Fat Emulsion Is Associated With Cytokine and Fatty Acid Profiles Consistent With Attenuated Inflammatory Response in Preterm Neonates: A Randomized, Double-Blind Clinical Trial. Nutr Clin Pract. 2016;31:235-44 pubmed publisher..Compared with the soybean oil-based IVFE, the MCT/Ï‰-3 PUFA-enriched IVFE is associated with a more favorable cytokine and FA profile consistent with attenuated inflammatory response in preterm neonates. ..
- Malisova O, Athanasatou A, Pepa A, Husemann M, Domnik K, Braun H, et al. Water Intake and Hydration Indices in Healthy European Adults: The European Hydration Research Study (EHRS). Nutrients. 2016;8:204 pubmed publisher..Most participants were euhydrated, but a substantial number of people (40%) deviated from a normal hydration level. ..
- Muller D, Murphy N, Johansson M, Ferrari P, Tsilidis K, Boutron Ruault M, et al. Modifiable causes of premature death in middle-age in Western Europe: results from the EPIC cohort study. BMC Med. 2016;14:87 pubmed publisher..Any attempt to minimise premature deaths will ultimately require all six factors to be addressed. ..
- Makris T, Tsoukala C, Krespi P, Hatzizacharias A, Gialeraki A, Papargyriou J, et al. Haemostasis balance disorders in patients with essential hypertension. Thromb Res. 1997;88:99-107 pubmed..These findings indicate a disturbance in the haemostasis balance with hypercoagulability and fibrinolytic deficiency. ..
- Efstathopoulos N, Lazarettos J, Nikolaou V, Chronopoulos E. Inflammatory leiomyosarcoma of the ankle: a case report and review of the literature. J Foot Ankle Surg. 2006;45:127-30 pubmed..Sixteen months after excision of the tumor the patient is doing well with no signs of recurrence. ..
- Sakkas P, Psarros C, Papadimitriou G, Theleritis C, Soldatos C. Repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation (rTMS) in a patient suffering from comorbid depression and panic disorder following a myocardial infarction. Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry. 2006;30:960-2 pubmed..Application of repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation was effective and safe in treating a 55-year-old man with comorbid depression and panic disorder, which occurred 6 months after a myocardial infarction. ..
- Michelakakis H, Moraitou M, Dimitriou E, Santamaria R, Sanchez G, Gort L, et al. Homozygosity for the double D409H+H255Q allele in type II Gaucher disease. J Inherit Metab Dis. 2006;29:591 pubmed..The double D409H+H255Q allele was found in heterozygosity in Greek, Bulgarian and Argentinian patients but was not IDentified in any Spanish patients carrying the D409H mutation. ..
- Liapis C, Paraskevas K. Do carotid surface irregularities correlate with the development of cerebrovascular symptoms? An analysis of the supporting studies, the opposing studies, and the possible pathomechanism. Vascular. 2006;14:88-92 pubmed
- Yannopoulos P, Lytras D, Paraskevas K. Esophageal reconstruction with intraoperative dilatation of the hypopharynx for the management of chronic corrosive esophageal strictures. A technical tip. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2006;30:940-2 pubmed..All patients tolerated the procedure well. Avoidance of both impairment of deglutition and respiratory complications, as well as restoration of normal esophageal function, was successfully accomplished...
- Skopeliti M, Iconomidou V, Derhovanessian E, Pawelec G, Voelter W, Kalbacher H, et al. Prothymosin alpha immunoactive carboxyl-terminal peptide TKKQKTDEDD stimulates lymphocyte reactions, induces dendritic cell maturation and adopts a beta-sheet conformation in a sequence-specific manner. Mol Immunol. 2009;46:784-92 pubmed publisher
- Athanassa Z, Makris G, Dimopoulos G, Falagas M. Early switch to oral treatment in patients with moderate to severe community-acquired pneumonia: a meta-analysis. Drugs. 2008;68:2469-81 pubmed publisher..Early conversion to oral antibacterials seems to be as effective as continuous intravenous treatment in patients with moderate to severe CAP and results in substantial reduction in duration of hospitalization. ..
- Papachristopoulou G, Avgeris M, Scorilas A. Expression analysis and study of KLK4 in benign and malignant breast tumours. Thromb Haemost. 2009;101:381-7 pubmed..035) negative correlation between the KLK4 expression and progesterone receptor staining was observed. ROC and logistic regression analysis recommended that KLK4 gene expression may be used as a new potential biomarker in breast cancer. ..
- Tousoulis D, Papageorgiou N, Antoniades C, Giolis A, Bouras G, Gounari P, et al. Acute effects of different types of oil consumption on endothelial function, oxidative stress status and vascular inflammation in healthy volunteers. Br J Nutr. 2010;103:43-9 pubmed publisher..However, all types of oils did not affect inflammatory process and systemic oxidative stress, suggesting that their effect on endothelial function may not be mediated by free radicals bioavailability. ..
- Papagiannis J, Papadopoulou K, Rammos S, Katritsis D. Cryoablation versus radiofrequency ablation for atrioventricular nodal reentrant tachycardia in children: long-term results. Hellenic J Cardiol. 2010;51:122-6 pubmed..Techniques to reduce recurrence rates after cryoablation are needed. ..
- Karavolias G, Georgiadou P, Houri M, Sbarouni E, Thomopoulou S, Tsiapras D, et al. Percutaneous aortic valve implantation of the Medtronic CoreValve self-expanding valve prosthesis via left subclavian artery access: the first case report in Greece. Hellenic J Cardiol. 2010;51:362-7 pubmed..The prosthetic valve was successfully implanted with mild paravalvular aortic regurgitation. At 30 days, the patient's clinical condition had significantly improved, with excellent functioning of the aortic valve prosthesis. ..
- Hountis P, Dedeilias P, Vourlakou C, Bolos K. Isolated bilateral coronary artery ostial stenosis in aortitis syndrome. Hellenic J Cardiol. 2010;51:472-4 pubmed..The aorta had prominent signs of aortitis of unknown etiology, possibly due to a chronic mycotic process. The patient underwent emergency surgery and had an uneventful course. The two-year follow up is excellent. ..
- Mavrommatis C, Argyra E, Vadalouka A, Vasilakos D. Acupuncture as an adjunctive therapy to pharmacological treatment in patients with chronic pain due to osteoarthritis of the knee: a 3-armed, randomized, placebo-controlled trial. Pain. 2012;153:1720-6 pubmed publisher..We conclude that acupuncture with etoricoxib is more effective than sham acupuncture with etoricoxib, or etoricoxib alone for the treatment of knee osteoarthritis. ..
- Antonogeorgos G, Panagiotakos D, Grigoropoulou D, Papadimitriou A, Anthracopoulos M, Nicolaidou P, et al. The mediating effect of parents' educational status on the association between adherence to the Mediterranean diet and childhood obesity: the PANACEA study. Int J Public Health. 2013;58:401-8 pubmed publisher..41; 95% CI 0.17-0.98), but not those in which both parents were of low educational level. Parental education status seems to play a mediating role in the beneficial effect of Mediterranean diet on children's obesity status. ..
- Alexopoulou A, Vasilieva L, Agiasotelli D, Siranidi K, Pouriki S, Tsiriga A, et al. Extensively drug-resistant bacteria are an independent predictive factor of mortality in 130 patients with spontaneous bacterial peritonitis or spontaneous bacteremia. World J Gastroenterol. 2016;22:4049-56 pubmed publisher..To evaluate the epidemiology and outcomes of culture-positive spontaneous bacterial peritonitis (SBP) and spontaneous bacteremia (SB) in decompensated cirrhosis...
- Giamarellos Bourboulis E, Pyleris E, Barbatzas C, Pistiki A, Pimentel M. Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth is associated with irritable bowel syndrome and is independent of proton pump inhibitor usage. BMC Gastroenterol. 2016;16:67 pubmed publisher..59) and gastritis (OR: 0.47). The association between IBS and SIBO was completely independent from PPI intake. Although gastritis was protective against SIBO, results show that PPI intake cannot prime SIBO. ..
- Erdmann W, Giovanis V, Aschenbrenner P, Kiriakis V, Suchanowski A. Methods for acquiring data on terrain geomorphology, course geometry and kinematics of competitors' runs in alpine skiing: a historical review. Acta Bioeng Biomech. 2017;19:69-79 pubmed..Some methods were used together. In order to provide detailed data on course setting and skiers' running it is recommended to analyse course geometry and kinematics data of competitors' running for all important competitions. ..
- Psarra A, Nikolaou A, Kokotou M, Limnios D, Kokotos G. Microsomal prostaglandin E2 synthase-1 inhibitors: a patent review. Expert Opin Ther Pat. 2017;27:1047-1059 pubmed publisher..More preclinical and clinical studies on mPGES-1 inhibitors are needed to realize if indeed they may become novel agents for the treatment of inflammation and cancer. ..
- Sertedaki A, Papadimitriou A, Voutetakis A, Dracopoulou M, Maniati Christidi M, Dacou Voutetakis C. Low TSH congenital hypothyroidism: identification of a novel mutation of the TSH beta-subunit gene in one sporadic case (C85R) and of mutation Q49stop in two siblings with congenital hypothyroidism. Pediatr Res. 2002;52:935-41 pubmed..Hence, with the novel mutation herein reported, a total of five mutations of the TSH beta-subunit gene are recognized as a cause of low-TSH congenital hypothyroidism worldwide. ..
- Gritzapis A, Mamalaki A, Kretsovali A, Papamatheakis J, Belimezi M, Perez S, et al. Redirecting mouse T hybridoma against human breast and ovarian carcinomas: in vivo activity against HER-2/neu expressing cancer cells. Br J Cancer. 2003;88:1292-300 pubmed..Moreover, they make it likely that T cells transduced with the same chimeric gene might be utilised in the treatment of patients with HER-2/neu(+) tumours. ..
- Varras M, Tsikini A, Polyzos D, Samara C, Hadjopoulos G, Akrivis C. Uterine adnexal torsion: pathologic and gray-scale ultrasonographic findings. Clin Exp Obstet Gynecol. 2004;31:34-8 pubmed..The purpose of the study was to determine the spectrum of the histologic and gray-scale sonographic pictures in a series of surgically proven cases of uterine adnexal torsion...
- Exarhos D, Malagari K, Tsatalou E, Benakis S, Peppas C, Kotanidou A, et al. Acute mediastinitis: spectrum of computed tomography findings. Eur Radiol. 2005;15:1569-74 pubmed..For the postoperative patients there is clear time dependence for CT interpretation and accuracy. In patients with suspected ADNM, and traumatic esophageal perforation CT is highly specific early after clinical presentation. ..
- Skopelitis E, Kokotis P, Kontos A, Panayiotakopoulos G, Konstantinou K, Kordossis T, et al. Distal sensory polyneuropathy in HIV-positive patients in the HAART era: an entity underestimated by clinical examination. Int J STD AIDS. 2006;17:467-72 pubmed..Age, severe prior immunosuppression and the combined use of zalcitabine (ddC), stavudine (d4T) and didanosine (ddI) are important risk factors. ..
- Klonaris C, Katsargyris A, Papapetrou A, Vourliotakis G, Tsiodras S, Georgopoulos S, et al. Infected femoral artery pseudoaneurysm in drug addicts: the beneficial use of the internal iliac artery for arterial reconstruction. J Vasc Surg. 2007;45:498-504 pubmed..In this study, we present our experience with the internal iliac artery (IIA) as a graft for arterial reconstruction after IFAP excision in these patients...
- Falagas M, Valkimadi P, Huang Y, Matthaiou D, Hsueh P. Therapeutic options for Stenotrophomonas maltophilia infections beyond co-trimoxazole: a systematic review. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2008;62:889-94 pubmed publisher..We sought to evaluate the available clinical evidence regarding potentially effective alternative antibiotics for the treatment of S. maltophilia infections...
- Kaskarelis I, Koukoulaki M, Georgantas T, Bairamidis E, Kokkinos C, Ieronymou M, et al. Ureteral complications in renal transplant recipients successfully treated with interventional radiology. Transplant Proc. 2008;40:3170-2 pubmed publisher..Interventional radiology was successful in treating immediate and long-term ureteral problems among renal transplant recipients with preservation of good renal function and patient survival. ..
- Lainas T, Sfontouris I, Zorzovilis I, Petsas G, Lainas G, Iliadis G, et al. Management of severe OHSS using GnRH antagonist and blastocyst cryopreservation in PCOS patients treated with long protocol. Reprod Biomed Online. 2009;18:15-20 pubmed..The flexibility of the approach allows the elongation of the monitoring period up to 8 days following HCG administration. ..
- Makrakis E, Hassiakos D, Stathis D, Vaxevanoglou T, Orfanoudaki E, Pantos K. Hysteroscopy in women with implantation failures after in vitro fertilization: findings and effect on subsequent pregnancy rates. J Minim Invasive Gynecol. 2009;16:181-7 pubmed publisher..To evaluate hysteroscopic findings and estimate the effect of hysteroscopy on achieving a pregnancy in women with a history of 2 implantation failures after in vitro fertilization (IVF)...
- Kalpadakis C, Pangalis G, Dimitriadou E, Angelopoulou M, Siakantaris M, Kyrtsonis M, et al. Mutation analysis of IgVH genes in splenic marginal zone lymphomas: correlation with clinical characteristics and outcome. Anticancer Res. 2009;29:1811-6 pubmed..A biased usage of certain sequences suggests antigen selection. Prognostic significance of mutational status was not confirmed in this study. However further studies are needed in order to confirm these results. ..
- Polonifi A, Politou M, Kalotychou V, Xiromeritis K, Tsironi M, Berdoukas V, et al. Iron metabolism gene expression in human skeletal muscle. Blood Cells Mol Dis. 2010;45:233-7 pubmed publisher..65 ± 1.1(p<0.05) and SM/L=1.5 ± 0.06(p<0.05 respectively in q-PCR). The relative expressions of the studied genes in both tissues and their relative contribution in iron homeostasis in different pathways are discussed...
- Troupis T, Dimitroulis D, Paraschos A, Michalinos A, Protogerou V, Vlasis K, et al. Lingual and facial arteries arising from the external carotid artery in a common trunk. Am Surg. 2011;77:151-4 pubmed
- Fretzayas A, Moustaki M, Vougiouka O. The puzzling clinical spectrum and course of juvenile sarcoidosis. World J Pediatr. 2011;7:103-10 pubmed publisher..Sarcoidosis in childhood is recognized as a systemic disease affecting various organs and having diverse clinical course depending on the age of onset. ..
- Lyritis G, Rizou S, Galanos A, Makras P. Incidence of hip fractures in Greece during a 30-year period: 1977-2007. Osteoporos Int. 2013;24:1579-85 pubmed publisher..0005) in 2007 than in 1977. The incidence of hip fractures doubled during the last 30 years among people aged ?50 years, although a mild decrease was observed in almost all age groups after 2002. The most affected group is 80 and over. ..
- Rallidis L, Tellis C, Lekakis J, Rizos I, Varounis C, Charalampopoulos A, et al. Lipoprotein-associated phospholipase A(2) bound on high-density lipoprotein is associated with lower risk for cardiac death in stable coronary artery disease patients: a 3-year follow-up. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2012;60:2053-60 pubmed publisher..The aim of this study was to examine the prognostic value of lipoprotein-associated phospholipase A(2) (Lp-PLA(2)) associated with high-density lipoprotein (HDL) (HDL-Lp-PLA(2)) in patients with stable coronary artery disease (CAD)...
- Vardakas K, Rafailidis P, Konstantelias A, Falagas M. Predictors of mortality in patients with infections due to multi-drug resistant Gram negative bacteria: the study, the patient, the bug or the drug?. J Infect. 2013;66:401-14 pubmed publisher..Significant diversity and statistical heterogeneity was observed. Beyond comorbidity and severity scores, MDR and inappropriate treatment were also identified as predictors of mortality. ..
- Toutouzas K, Sfikakis P, Karanasos A, Aggeli C, Felekos I, Kitas G, et al. Myocardial ischaemia without obstructive coronary artery disease in rheumatoid arthritis: hypothesis-generating insights from a cross-sectional study. Rheumatology (Oxford). 2013;52:76-80 pubmed publisher..Microvascular abnormalities associated with increased inflammatory response may account for these findings. Their exact nature and significance require further evaluation. ..
- Bouziotis P, Psimadas D, Tsotakos T, Stamopoulos D, Tsoukalas C. Radiolabeled iron oxide nanoparticles as dual-modality SPECT/MRI and PET/MRI agents. Curr Top Med Chem. 2012;12:2694-702 pubmed..In this review article, we provide an overview of recent findings in the synthesis, evaluation and application of radiolabeled iron oxide nanoparticles as dual-modality SPECT/MRI and PET/MRI imaging probes. ..
- Kallergis G. Informing cancer patient based on his type of personality: the avoidant patient. J BUON. 2013;18:527-31 pubmed..Informing the family: The patient reacts to a common approach with the family as he is concerned about inflicting a blow to his image. ..
- Papatheodorou D, Karagiannidis L, Paltoglou G, Margeli A, Kaparos G, Valsamakis G, et al. Pulsatile interleukin-6 leads CRH secretion and is associated with myometrial contractility during the active phase of term human labor. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2013;98:4105-12 pubmed publisher..Additional studies are needed to elucidate the combined effect of inflammation, placental CRH release, and/or the receptors of the latter in parturition. ..
- Deligeoroglou E, Giannouli A, Athanasopoulos N, Karountzos V, Vatopoulou A, Dimopoulos K, et al. HPV infection: immunological aspects and their utility in future therapy. Infect Dis Obstet Gynecol. 2013;2013:540850 pubmed publisher..Utilizing this knowledge, new endeavors, such as therapeutic vaccination, aim to stimulate cellular immune response against the virus and alter the milieu of the lesion. ..
- Gallo V, Vanacore N, Bueno de Mesquita H, Vermeulen R, Brayne C, Pearce N, et al. Physical activity and risk of Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis in a prospective cohort study. Eur J Epidemiol. 2016;31:255-66 pubmed publisher..This association does not appear confounded by age, gender, anthropometry, smoking, and education. Ours was the first prospective cohort study on ALS and physical activity. ..
- Kalfa D, Belli E, Bacha E, Lambert V, Di Carlo D, Kostolny M, et al. Primary Pulmonary Vein Stenosis: Outcomes, Risk Factors, and Severity Score in a Multicentric Study. Ann Thorac Surg. 2017;104:182-189 pubmed publisher..Postoperative pulmonary hypertension and severity of disease evaluated by a new severity score are independent prognostic factors regardless of surgical technique. ..
- Dalakas M, Rakocevic G, Dambrosia J, Alexopoulos H, McElroy B. A double-blind, placebo-controlled study of rituximab in patients with stiff person syndrome. Ann Neurol. 2017;82:271-277 pubmed publisher..Ann Neurol 2017;82:271-277. ..
- Draganidis D, Chondrogianni N, Chatzinikolaou A, Terzis G, Karagounis L, Sovatzidis A, et al. Protein ingestion preserves proteasome activity during intense aseptic inflammation and facilitates skeletal muscle recovery in humans. Br J Nutr. 2017;118:189-200 pubmed publisher..We conclude that milk PRO supplementation following exercise-induced muscle trauma preserves proteasome activity and attenuates strength decline during the pro-inflammatory phase. ..
- Katsanos K, Kitrou P, Spiliopoulos S, Maroulis I, Petsas T, Karnabatidis D. Comparative effectiveness of different transarterial embolization therapies alone or in combination with local ablative or adjuvant systemic treatments for unresectable hepatocellular carcinoma: A network meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0184597 pubmed publisher..We conducted a systematic review and network meta-analysis (NMA) of different embolization options for unresectable HCC...
- Papaefthimiou M, Symiakaki H, Mentzelopoulou P, Tsiveleka A, Kyroudes A, Voulgaris Z, et al. Study on the morphology and reproducibility of the diagnosis of endometrial lesions utilizing liquid-based cytology. Cancer. 2005;105:56-64 pubmed..Furthermore, liquid-based cytology in combination with endometrial sampling could be a useful tool for the outpatient diagnosis of endometrial lesions, which could reduce unnecessary curettage. ..
- Stavropoulou P, Gregorakis A, Plebani M, Scorilas A. Expression analysis and prognostic significance of human kallikrein 11 in prostate cancer. Clin Chim Acta. 2005;357:190-5 pubmed
- Koundi K, Christodoulakos G, Lambrinoudaki I, Zervas I, Spyropoulou A, Fexi P, et al. Quality of life and psychological symptoms in Greek postmenopausal women: association with hormone therapy. Gynecol Endocrinol. 2006;22:660-8 pubmed
- Grigorakis K, Rigos G. Aquaculture effects on environmental and public welfare - the case of Mediterranean mariculture. Chemosphere. 2011;85:899-919 pubmed publisher..At a canonistic and legal basis, the establishment of appropriate legal guidelines and common policies from all countries involved should be mandatory. ..
- Tsounis D, Deftereos S, Bouras G, Giannopoulos G, Anatoliotakis N, Raisakis K, et al. High sensitivity troponin in cardiovascular disease. Is there more than a marker of myocardial death?. Curr Top Med Chem. 2013;13:201-15 pubmed..In addition, studies have suggested that cTns may be used as a biomarker in the primary prevention of cardiovascular disease leading to the identification of high-risk populations or individuals with silent heart disease. ..
- Anagnostaki E, Skarlos D, Tamvakis N, Psaropoulou P, Blana E, Bamias A, et al. Immunohistochemical and immunocytochemical study of bladder carcinomas using the epithelium-specific, tumour-associated monoclonal antibodies HMFG1 and AUA1. Br J Cancer Suppl. 1990;10:52-6 pubmed..The intravesical treatment with chemotherapeutic agents did not seem to influence the antigenic expression of malignant urothelial cells. ..