Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on animals in Bochum, North Rhine Westphalia, Germany
Locale: Bochum, North Rhine Westphalia, Germany
Publications268 found, 100 shown here
- Peskar B, Ehrlich K, Schuligoi R, Peskar B. Role of lipoxygenases and the lipoxin A(4)/annexin 1 receptor in ischemia-reperfusion-induced gastric mucosal damage in rats. Pharmacology. 2009;84:294-9 pubmed publisher..The results suggest that not only cyclooxygenases, but also lipoxygenases have a role in limiting gastric mucosal damage during ischemia-reperfusion. ..
- Ellrichmann G, Petrasch Parwez E, Lee D, Reick C, Arning L, Saft C, et al. Efficacy of fumaric acid esters in the R6/2 and YAC128 models of Huntington's disease. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e16172 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, DMF may exert beneficial effects in mouse models of HD. Given its excellent side effect profile, further studies with DMF as new therapeutic approach in HD and other neurodegenerative diseases are warranted. ..
- Klasen K, Hollatz D, Zielke S, Gisselmann G, Hatt H, Wetzel C. The TRPM8 ion channel comprises direct Gq protein-activating capacity. Pflugers Arch. 2012;463:779-97 pubmed publisher..Our observations lead to a view that extends the operational range of the TRPM8 receptor from its function as a pure ion channel to a molecular switch with additional metabotropic capacity...
- Ul Hussain M, Dermietzel R, Zoidl G. Connexins and Cap-independent translation: role of internal ribosome entry sites. Brain Res. 2012;1487:99-106 pubmed publisher..This article is part of a Special Issue entitled Electrical Synapses. ..
- Happel P, Thatenhorst D, Dietzel I. Scanning ion conductance microscopy for studying biological samples. Sensors (Basel). 2012;12:14983-5008 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, we show that in principle, a combination of SICM and ion selective micro-electrodes enables one to monitor the local ion activity surrounding a living cell. ..
- Schwabe L, Wolf O. Stress and multiple memory systems: from 'thinking' to 'doing'. Trends Cogn Sci. 2013;17:60-8 pubmed publisher..We argue that, despite being generally adaptive, this stress-induced shift towards 'habit' memory may, in vulnerable individuals, be a risk factor for psychopathology. ..
- Berwe D, Gottschalk G, Lüttgau H. Effects of the calcium antagonist gallopamil (D600) upon excitation-contraction coupling in toe muscle fibres of the frog. J Physiol. 1987;385:693-707 pubmed..Therefore association of gallopamil mainly leads to stabilization of the inactive state (paralysis) but can also stabilize the active state...
- Gisselmann G, Warnstedt M, Gamerschlag B, Bormann A, Marx T, Neuhaus E, et al. Characterization of recombinant and native Ih-channels from Apis mellifera. Insect Biochem Mol Biol. 2003;33:1123-34 pubmed..We conclude that AMIH is the ion channel responsible for the hyperpolarization-activated currents in olfactory receptor neurons of bee...
- Steinstraesser L, Tippler B, Mertens J, Lamme E, Homann H, Lehnhardt M, et al. Inhibition of early steps in the lentiviral replication cycle by cathelicidin host defense peptides. Retrovirology. 2005;2:2 pubmed..Although Protegrin-1 apparently inhibits an early step in the HIV-replication cycle, cytotoxic effects might limit its use as an antiviral agent unless the specificity for the virus can be improved. ..
- Peters M, Kauth M, Schwarze J, Körner Rettberg C, Riedler J, Nowak D, et al. Inhalation of stable dust extract prevents allergen induced airway inflammation and hyperresponsiveness. Thorax. 2006;61:134-9 pubmed
- Napirei M, Gültekin A, Kloeckl T, Moroy T, Frostegard J, Mannherz H. Systemic lupus-erythematosus: deoxyribonuclease 1 in necrotic chromatin disposal. Int J Biochem Cell Biol. 2006;38:297-306 pubmed..Here, we concentrate on chromatin disposal during necrosis and the involvement of Deoxyribonuclease 1 in this process with respect to its possible role in the prevention of anti-nuclear auto-immunity. ..
- Grabert J, Wahle P. Visual experience regulates Kv3.1b and Kv3.2 expression in developing rat visual cortex. Neuroscience. 2009;158:654-64 pubmed publisher..The results suggest that an altered expression of Kv3 channels affects the functional properties of FS neurons, and may contribute to the deficits in inhibition observed in the sensory-deprived cortex. ..
- Tenbusch M, Grunwald T, Niezold T, Storcksdieck Genannt Bonsmann M, Hannaman D, Norley S, et al. Codon-optimization of the hemagglutinin gene from the novel swine origin H1N1 influenza virus has differential effects on CD4(+) T-cell responses and immune effector mechanisms following DNA electroporation in mice. Vaccine. 2010;28:3273-7 pubmed publisher
- Gold R, Wolinsky J. Pathophysiology of multiple sclerosis and the place of teriflunomide. Acta Neurol Scand. 2011;124:75-84 pubmed publisher..Teriflunomide has an acceptable and manageable safety and tolerability profile. A large clinical programme is underway to further elucidate the role of teriflunomide in the treatment of MS...
- Schneider S, Klein H. Preserved insulin secretion capacity and graft function of cryostored encapsulated rat islets. Regul Pept. 2011;166:135-8 pubmed publisher..Future studies will now have to carry on this approach to human islets, aiming to apply such a bioartificial pancreas consisting of cryopreserved encapsulated islets in humans. ..
- Karus M, Denecke B, Ffrench Constant C, Wiese S, Faissner A. The extracellular matrix molecule tenascin C modulates expression levels and territories of key patterning genes during spinal cord astrocyte specification. Development. 2011;138:5321-31 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our data implicate Tnc in the regulation of proliferation and lineage progression of astroglial progenitors in specific domains of the developing spinal cord. ..
- Manns M, Römling J. The impact of asymmetrical light input on cerebral hemispheric specialization and interhemispheric cooperation. Nat Commun. 2012;3:696 pubmed publisher..Environmental factors can influence the tight interplay between the hemispheres, which in turn determines cognitive abilities. ..
- Prochnow N, Abdulazim A, Kurtenbach S, Wildförster V, Dvoriantchikova G, Hanske J, et al. Pannexin1 stabilizes synaptic plasticity and is needed for learning. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e51767 pubmed publisher..This result provides the rationale for in-depth analysis of Panx1 function and adenosine based therapies in CNS disorders. ..
- Mölleken C, Poschmann G, Bonella F, Costabel U, Sitek B, Stühler K, et al. MFAP4: a candidate biomarker for hepatic and pulmonary fibrosis?. Sarcoidosis Vasc Diffuse Lung Dis. 2016;33:41-50 pubmed..This may be due to different pathogenic mechanisms of liver and lung fibrogenesis. MFAP4 seems to be useful as serum biomarker for hepatic but not for lung fibrosis. ..
- Schmidt C, Hollmann M. Apparent homomeric NR1 currents observed in Xenopus oocytes are caused by an endogenous NR2 subunit. J Mol Biol. 2008;376:658-70 pubmed publisher..These findings confirm the current views that NMDARs are obligatory heteromeric complexes and that functional homomeric NMDARs do not exist. ..
- Tapken D, Hollmann M. Arabidopsis thaliana glutamate receptor ion channel function demonstrated by ion pore transplantation. J Mol Biol. 2008;383:36-48 pubmed publisher..1 ion pore match those of glutamate-activated currents, depolarisations, and glutamate-triggered Ca(2+) influxes observed in plant cells. We conclude that some AtGLRs have functional non-selective cation pores. ..
- Leichsenring A, Bäcker I, Wendt W, Andriske M, Schmitz B, Stichel C, et al. Differential expression of Cathepsin S and X in the spinal cord of a rat neuropathic pain model. BMC Neurosci. 2008;9:80 pubmed publisher..The cellular distribution and the spatio-temporal development of the altered expression of CATS and CATX suggest that these proteins are important players in the spinal mechanisms involved in chronic pain induction and maintenance. ..
- Milting H, Heilmeyer L, Thieleczek R. Cloning of a phospholipase C-delta 1 of rabbit skeletal muscle. J Muscle Res Cell Motil. 1996;17:79-84 pubmed
- Schultze W, Eulenburg V, Lessmann V, Herrmann L, Dittmar T, Gundelfinger E, et al. Semaphorin4F interacts with the synapse-associated protein SAP90/PSD-95. J Neurochem. 2001;78:482-9 pubmed..Our data implicate a new functional context for semaphorins at glutamatergic synapses. ..
- Meller K, Theiss C. Atomic force microscopy and confocal laser scanning microscopy on the cytoskeleton of permeabilised and embedded cells. Ultramicroscopy. 2006;106:320-5 pubmed..Therefore, this method offers a great potential to combine both microscopy techniques in order to understand and interpret intracellular protein relations, for example, the biochemical and morphological interaction of the cytoskeleton. ..
- Szivak I, Lamb N, Heilmeyer L. Subcellular localization and structural function of endogenous phosphorylated phosphatidylinositol 4-kinase (PI4K92). J Biol Chem. 2006;281:16740-9 pubmed..We conclude that nuclear phosphatidylinositol 4-phosphate, and consequently, synthesis of polyphosphoinositides are required for a correct nuclear function. ..
- Gertz M, Fischer F, Wolters D, Steegborn C. Activation of the lifespan regulator p66Shc through reversible disulfide bond formation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:5705-9 pubmed publisher..Glutathione and thioredoxins can reduce and inactivate p66(Shc), resulting in a thiol-based redox sensor system that initiates apoptosis once cellular protection systems cannot cope anymore with cellular stress...
- Stenzel N, Fetzer C, Heumann R, Erdmann K. PDZ-domain-directed basolateral targeting of the peripheral membrane protein FRMPD2 in epithelial cells. J Cell Sci. 2009;122:3374-84 pubmed publisher..Our results provide novel insights into the molecular function of FRMPD2 and into the targeting mechanism of peripheral membrane proteins in polarized epithelial cells. ..
- Patzke N, Manns M, Gunturkun O, Ioalè P, Gagliardo A. Navigation-induced ZENK expression in the olfactory system of pigeons (Columba livia). Eur J Neurosci. 2010;31:2062-72 pubmed publisher..This is the first study to reveal neuronal activation patterns in the olfactory system during homing. Our data show that lateralized processing of olfactory cues is indeed involved in navigation over unfamiliar areas. ..
- Aktas M, Wessel M, Hacker S, Klüsener S, Gleichenhagen J, Narberhaus F. Phosphatidylcholine biosynthesis and its significance in bacteria interacting with eukaryotic cells. Eur J Cell Biol. 2010;89:888-94 pubmed publisher..In the Pcs pathway, choline is condensed directly with CDP-diacylglycerol to form PC. This review focuses on the biosynthetic pathways and the significance of PC in bacteria with an emphasis on plant-microbe interactions...
- Peruga I, Hartwig S, Merkler D, Thone J, Hovemann B, Juckel G, et al. Endogenous ciliary neurotrophic factor modulates anxiety and depressive-like behavior. Behav Brain Res. 2012;229:325-32 pubmed publisher..These data imply that endogenous CNTF plays a pivotal role for the structural maintenance of hippocampal functions and thus has an important impact on the modulation of affective behavior in rodent models of anxiety and depression. ..
- Schwabe L. Stress and the engagement of multiple memory systems: integration of animal and human studies. Hippocampus. 2013;23:1035-43 pubmed publisher..This shift to habit memory after stress can be adaptive with respect to current performance but might contribute to psychopathology in vulnerable individuals. ..
- Schmitt I, Epplen J, Riess O. Predominant neuronal expression of the gene responsible for dentatorubral-pallidoluysian atrophy (DRPLA) in rat. Hum Mol Genet. 1995;4:1619-24 pubmed..In addition this transcript is predominantly represented in neuronal tissues throughout all developmental stages investigated. ..
- Hovemann B, Reim I, Werner S, Katz S, Saumweber H. The protein Hrb57A of Drosophila melanogaster closely related to hnRNP K from vertebrates is present at sites active in transcription and coprecipitates with four RNA-binding proteins. Gene. 2000;245:127-37 pubmed
- Wirth M, Wahle P. Biolistic transfection of organotypic cultures of rat visual cortex using a handheld device. J Neurosci Methods. 2003;125:45-54 pubmed..We achieve a high degree of co-expression of independent plasmids coated on the same particles. The expression of the neurotrophin plasmids is demonstrated on mRNA and protein level. ..
- Richardt A, Kemme T, Wagner S, Schwarzer D, Marahiel M, Hovemann B. Ebony, a novel nonribosomal peptide synthetase for beta-alanine conjugation with biogenic amines in Drosophila. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:41160-6 pubmed..We propose that in the Drosophila eye Ebony is involved in the transmission process by inactivation of histamine through beta-alanyl conjugation. ..
- Mannherz H, Ballweber E, Galla M, Villard S, Granier C, Steegborn C, et al. Mapping the ADF/cofilin binding site on monomeric actin by competitive cross-linking and peptide array: evidence for a second binding site on monomeric actin. J Mol Biol. 2007;366:745-55 pubmed..In the absence of any crystal structures of ADF or cofilin in complex with actin, these studies provide further information about the binding sites on F-actin for these important actin regulatory proteins. ..
- Klausmeyer A, Garwood J, Faissner A. Differential expression of phosphacan/RPTPbeta isoforms in the developing mouse visual system. J Comp Neurol. 2007;504:659-79 pubmed..In situ hybridization experiments support the conclusion that at least one of the phosphacan/RPTPbeta isoforms in the retina is expressed by neurons. ..
- Bokemeyer D, Panek D, Kitahara M, Trzaskos J, Muller C, Hockemeyer J, et al. The map kinase ERK regulates renal activity of cyclin-dependent kinase 2 in experimental glomerulonephritis. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2007;22:3431-41 pubmed..Our observations provide the first evidence that ERK is an intracellular regulator of renal CDK2 activity in vivo in a glomerulonephritis model. ..
- Rempf C, Ritter A, Schrepfer S, Freitag M, Standl T, Gottschalk A. Failed induction of heme oxygenase 1 in endothelial cells exposed to the hemoglobin based oxygen carrier Oxyglobin. Artif Cells Blood Substit Immobil Biotechnol. 2008;36:34-44 pubmed publisher..The Western Blot of G1, G2 and G4 showed no HO-1 signal. These data suggest that HBOC-200 in the applied dosage cannot induce HO-1 expression in RAEC, and may be degraded by isoenzymes at a lower level. ..
- Cavara N, Hollmann M. Shuffling the deck anew: how NR3 tweaks NMDA receptor function. Mol Neurobiol. 2008;38:16-26 pubmed publisher..Understanding the multifaceted influence of NR3 is imperative to further the understanding of the complex role of NMDARs in neurotransmission and higher brain functions. ..
- Prochnow N, Hoffmann S, Dermietzel R, Zoidl G. Replacement of a single cysteine in the fourth transmembrane region of zebrafish pannexin 1 alters hemichannel gating behavior. Exp Brain Res. 2009;199:255-64 pubmed publisher..The function of this channel was significantly reduced following mutation of a single cysteine residue (C282W) in the fourth transmembrane region. This result suggests a role of this domain in gating of the Panx1 hemichannel. ..
- Ziegler A, Brüsselbach F, Hovemann B. Activity and coexpression of Drosophila black with ebony in fly optic lobes reveals putative cooperative tasks in vision that evade electroretinographic detection. J Comp Neurol. 2013;521:1207-24 pubmed publisher..Activity, localization, and strict coexpression with Ebony strongly indicate a specific mode of functional interaction that, however, evades ERG detection. ..
- Olbrich L, Wessel L, Balakrishnan Renuka A, Böing M, Brand Saberi B, Theiss C. Rapid impact of progesterone on the neuronal growth cone. Endocrinology. 2013;154:3784-95 pubmed publisher..Antagonism of the classical progesterone receptors by mifepristone revealed that the observed progesterone effects are transmitted through PR-A and PR-B. ..
- Bauer S, Alles M, Arpa Sancet M, Ralston E, Swain G, Aldred N, et al. Resistance of Amphiphilic Polysaccharides against Marine Fouling Organisms. Biomacromolecules. 2016;17:897-904 pubmed publisher..Field studies supported findings of the laboratory experiments, as hydrophobic modification of AA and HA decreased diatom colonization. ..
- Mann S, Hoffmann G, Hengstenberg A, Schuhmann W, Dietzel I. Pulse-mode scanning ion conductance microscopy--a method to investigate cultured hippocampal cells. J Neurosci Methods. 2002;116:113-7 pubmed..We demonstrate the applicability by showing first high-resolution images of neural cells produced with the pulse-mode operated SICM. ..
- Hilgendorff A, Rawer D, Doerner M, Tutdibi E, Ebsen M, Schmidt R, et al. Synthetic and natural surfactant differentially modulate inflammation after meconium aspiration. Intensive Care Med. 2003;29:2247-2254 pubmed publisher..Surfactant administration improved both gas exchange and pulmonary inflammatory cytokine transcription. Mechanisms underlying the differential inflammatory response in both surfactant preparations need to be further addressed. ..
- Necker R. Distribution of choline acetyltransferase and NADPH diaphorase in the spinal cord of the pigeon. Anat Embryol (Berl). 2004;208:169-81 pubmed..Altogether, despite the divergent evolution of both classes of vertebrate intrinsic modulatory choline acetyltransferase and NADPH diaphorase systems of birds seem to be largely similar to those of the mammalian spinal cord. ..
- Neuhaus E, Gisselmann G, Zhang W, Dooley R, Störtkuhl K, Hatt H. Odorant receptor heterodimerization in the olfactory system of Drosophila melanogaster. Nat Neurosci. 2005;8:15-7 pubmed
- Störtkuhl K, Kettler R, Fischer S, Hovemann B. An increased receptive field of olfactory receptor Or43a in the antennal lobe of Drosophila reduces benzaldehyde-driven avoidance behavior. Chem Senses. 2005;30:81-7 pubmed..Our results demonstrate the relevance of specific olfactory sensory input and subsequent processing in the antennal lobe for Drosophila behavior. ..
- Damann N, Klopfleisch R, Rothermel M, Doerner J, Mettenleiter T, Hatt H, et al. Neuronal pathways of viral invasion in mice after intranasal inoculation of pseudorabies virus PrV-9112C2 expressing bovine herpesvirus 1 glycoprotein B. J Neurovirol. 2006;12:60-4 pubmed..These findings indicate that gB((BHV-1))-dependent changes in PrV's capability to infect swine olfactory sensory neurons (OSNs) are not prominent in mice and give evidence for viral entry receptors present in swine but not mice OSNs...
- Tsanov M, Manahan Vaughan D. Synaptic plasticity in the adult visual cortex is regulated by the metabotropic glutamate receptor, mGluR5. Exp Brain Res. 2009;199:391-9 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, the higher sensitivity of mGluR expression to antagonism of mGluR5 in VC compared to the hippocampus suggests that mGluR5 regulates plasticity phenomena in these structures by means of distinct mGluR-dependent processes. ..
- Lampert K, Schartl M. A little bit is better than nothing: the incomplete parthenogenesis of salamanders, frogs and fish. BMC Biol. 2010;8:78 pubmed publisher..This presents a challenge to the prediction that lack of genetic recombination is a fast track to extinction. See research article http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2148/10/238. ..
- Kohl M, Wiese S, Warscheid B. Cytoscape: software for visualization and analysis of biological networks. Methods Mol Biol. 2011;696:291-303 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, special features of alternative software tools are highlighted in order to assist researchers in the choice of an adequate program for their specific requirements. ..
- Steinstraesser L, Hauk J, Schubert C, Al Benna S, Stricker I, Hatt H, et al. Suppression of soft tissue sarcoma growth by a host defense-like lytic peptide. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e18321 pubmed publisher..These findings demonstrate the in vitro and in vivo oncolytic activity of [D]-K3H3L9 in athymic and syngeneic mouse models. ..
- Röllecke K, Werner M, Ziemba P, Neuhaus E, Hatt H, Gisselmann G. Amiloride derivatives are effective blockers of insect odorant receptors. Chem Senses. 2013;38:231-6 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that pyrazine derivatives of amiloride are useful probes to study the mechanism of chemosensory transduction in insects in more detail. ..
- Masseck O, Spoida K, Dalkara D, Maejima T, Rubelowski J, Wallhorn L, et al. Vertebrate cone opsins enable sustained and highly sensitive rapid control of Gi/o signaling in anxiety circuitry. Neuron. 2014;81:1263-1273 pubmed publisher..Thus, vertebrate cone opsins represent a class of tools for understanding the role of Gi/o-coupled GPCRs in health and disease. ..
- Preuschoft H, Witzel U. Functional shape of the skull in vertebrates: which forces determine skull morphology in lower primates and ancestral synapsids?. Anat Rec A Discov Mol Cell Evol Biol. 2005;283:402-13 pubmed..This study demonstrates the utility of finite-element modeling for testing hypotheses regarding relationships between form and function in vertebrate skulls. ..
- Manahan Vaughan D, Wildförster V, Thomsen C. Rescue of hippocampal LTP and learning deficits in a rat model of psychosis by inhibition of glycine transporter-1 (GlyT1). Eur J Neurosci. 2008;28:1342-50 pubmed publisher..Use of the inhibitor in healthy subjects is neither beneficial to synaptic plasticity nor hippocampus-dependent learning. ..
- Linke W, Kruger M. The giant protein titin as an integrator of myocyte signaling pathways. Physiology (Bethesda). 2010;25:186-98 pubmed publisher..The titin-associated signalosome includes hotspots of protein-protein interactions important for the regulation of protein quality-control mechanisms, hypertrophic gene activation, and mechanosensing. ..
- Karus M, Samtleben S, Busse C, Tsai T, Dietzel I, Faissner A, et al. Normal sulfation levels regulate spinal cord neural precursor cell proliferation and differentiation. Neural Dev. 2012;7:20 pubmed publisher..In summary, our data suggest that sulfation is an important regulator of both neural precursor cell proliferation and maturation of the neural precursor cell progeny in the developing mouse spinal cord. ..
- Tenbusch M, Ignatius R, Temchura V, Nabi G, Tippler B, Stewart Jones G, et al. Risk of immunodeficiency virus infection may increase with vaccine-induced immune response. J Virol. 2012;86:10533-9 pubmed publisher..The results are consistent with the hypothesis that virus-specific T helper cells mediate this detrimental effect and contribute to the inefficacy of past HIV vaccination attempts (e.g., STEP study)...
- Hussong J, Lindken R, Faulhammer P, Noreikat K, Sharp K, Kummer W, et al. Cilia-driven particle and fluid transport over mucus-free mice tracheae. J Biomech. 2013;46:593-8 pubmed publisher..Based on our results, we have shown that PCL transport can be directly driven by the cilia beat and that the PCL motion may be capable of driving bead transport by fluid drag...
- Kropatsch R, Dekomien G, Akkad D, Gerding W, Petrasch Parwez E, Young N, et al. SOX9 duplication linked to intersex in deer. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e73734 pubmed publisher..Whole genome sequencing and quantitative real-time PCR analyses revealed a triple dose of the SOX9 gene, allowing insights into a new genetic defect in a wild animal. ..
- Erkens R, Kramer C, LÃ¼ckstÃ¤dt W, Panknin C, Krause L, Weidenbach M, et al. Left ventricular diastolic dysfunction in Nrf2 knock out mice is associated with cardiac hypertrophy, decreased expression of SERCA2a, and preserved endothelial function. Free Radic Biol Med. 2015;89:906-17 pubmed publisher..These data provide new insights into how Nrf2 expression/function impacts the cardiovascular system. ..
- Ohm T, Wegner A. Random copolymerization of ATP-actin and ADP-actin. Biochemistry. 1991;30:11193-7 pubmed..According to the analysis of the critical concentrations, the equilibrium constants for incorporation of ATP-actin or ADP-actin into filaments were independent of the type of nucleotide bound to contiguous subunits. ..
- Mayer P, Mohlig M, Schatz H, Pfeiffer A. New isoforms of multifunctional calcium/calmodulin-dependent protein kinase II. FEBS Lett. 1993;333:315-8 pubmed..The homologous domains are highly conserved. Therefore, it might be the case that the constitution of the variable domains is more significant for a certain isoform than its belonging to one of the 4 subtypes alpha to delta. ..
- Hu B, Copeland N, Gilbert D, Jenkins N, Kilimann M. The paralemmin protein family: identification of paralemmin-2, an isoform differentially spliced to AKAP2/AKAP-KL, and of palmdelphin, a more distant cytosolic relative. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2001;285:1369-76 pubmed..The N-terminal coiled-coil region is conserved in paralemmin-1, paralemmin-2/AKAP2, palmdelphin and a fourth, uncharacterized gene, suggesting that it is a modular functional domain. ..
- Sudhoff H, Jung J, Ebmeyer J, Faddis B, Hildmann H, Chole R. Zoledronic acid inhibits osteoclastogenesis in vitro and in a mouse model of inflammatory osteolysis. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol. 2003;112:780-6 pubmed..The ZLNA significantly reduced osteoclast recruitment in a dose-dependent manner, but did not affect the degree of inflammation or the mineral apposition rate. ..
- Meier C, Dermietzel R, Davidson K, Yasumura T, Rash J. Connexin32-containing gap junctions in Schwann cells at the internodal zone of partial myelin compaction and in Schmidt-Lanterman incisures. J Neurosci. 2004;24:3186-98 pubmed
- Blaszczyk W, Distler C, Dekomien G, Arning L, Hoffmann K, Epplen J. Identification of a tyrosinase (TYR) exon 4 deletion in albino ferrets (Mustela putorius furo). Anim Genet. 2007;38:421-3 pubmed..The deletion of exon 4 in albino ferrets was confirmed by Southern blot hybridization of genomic DNA from albino and pigmented ferrets. This is the first report of a deletion of a TYR exon in a non-human mammal. ..
- Haghikia A, Ladage K, Hinkerohe D, Vollmar P, Heupel K, Dermietzel R, et al. Implications of antiinflammatory properties of the anticonvulsant drug levetiracetam in astrocytes. J Neurosci Res. 2008;86:1781-8 pubmed publisher..Cumulatively, our results provide evidence for antiinflammatory properties of levetiracetam in seizure treatment. ..
- Zoidl G, Kremer M, Zoidl C, Bunse S, Dermietzel R. Molecular diversity of connexin and pannexin genes in the retina of the zebrafish Danio rerio. Cell Commun Adhes. 2008;15:169-83 pubmed publisher..This result demonstrates the presence of two distinct gap junction type gene families and indicates a remarkable molecular and functional diversity of gap junction-mediated coupling in the fish retina. ..
- Ul Hussain M, Dermietzel R, Zoidl G. Characterization of the internal IRES element of the zebrafish connexin55.5 reveals functional implication of the polypyrimidine tract binding protein. BMC Mol Biol. 2008;9:92 pubmed publisher..This observation is of considerable importance and may provide initial insight into molecular-functional relationships of electrical coupling in horizontal cells. ..
- Flacke J, Kumar S, Kostin S, Reusch H, Ladilov Y. Acidic preconditioning protects endothelial cells against apoptosis through p38- and Akt-dependent Bcl-xL overexpression. Apoptosis. 2009;14:90-6 pubmed publisher..Therefore, APC leads to protection of EC against ischemic apoptosis by activation of Akt and p38 followed by overexpression of Bcl-xL, which is a key anti-apoptotic mechanism of APC. ..
- Glanz S, Kück U. Trans-splicing of organelle introns--a detour to continuous RNAs. Bioessays. 2009;31:921-34 pubmed publisher..This will have a general relevance for understanding the function of RNA-processing machineries in eukaryotic organelles. ..
- Schlicker K, Schmidt M. Contribution of GABA(C) receptors to inhibition in the rodent accessory optic system. Exp Brain Res. 2009;199:235-44 pubmed publisher..This, together with earlier results, suggests that GABA(C) receptors play a general role for the control of neuronal excitability in subcortical visual pathways. ..
- Gertz M, Fischer F, Leipelt M, Wolters D, Steegborn C. Identification of Peroxiredoxin 1 as a novel interaction partner for the lifespan regulator protein p66Shc. Aging (Albany NY). 2009;1:254-65 pubmed..Our results indicate that p66CH2CB and Prx1 form a stress-sensing complex that keeps p66Shc inactive at moderate stress levels. ..
- Pohl M, Radacz Y, Pawlik N, Schoeneck A, Baldus S, Munding J, et al. SMAD4 mediates mesenchymal-epithelial reversion in SW480 colon carcinoma cells. Anticancer Res. 2010;30:2603-13 pubmed..These results provide further evidence for a role of SMAD4 as a regulator of invasion, a process of prime importance in carcinogenesis but hitherto poorly understood in molecular terms. ..
- Peruga I, Hartwig S, Thone J, Hovemann B, Gold R, Juckel G, et al. Inflammation modulates anxiety in an animal model of multiple sclerosis. Behav Brain Res. 2011;220:20-9 pubmed publisher..These data imply that chronic inflammation in the CNS may impact on emotional responses in rodent models of anxiety. ..
- Hennen E, Czopka T, Faissner A. Structurally distinct LewisX glycans distinguish subpopulations of neural stem/progenitor cells. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:16321-31 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, we present a new tool for the isolation and characterization of neural subpopulations and provide insights into the complexity of cell surface glycosylation. ..
- Hertel F, Switalski A, Mintert Jancke E, Karavassilidou K, Bender K, Pott L, et al. A genetically encoded tool kit for manipulating and monitoring membrane phosphatidylinositol 4,5-bisphosphate in intact cells. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e20855 pubmed publisher..Generally, adenoviral constructs containing self-cleaving 2A-peptide sequences are highly suited for simultaneous transfer of multiple genes in adult cardiac myocytes. ..
- Herold C, Joshi I, Chehadi O, Hollmann M, G nt rk n O. Plasticity in D1-like receptor expression is associated with different components of cognitive processes. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e36484 pubmed publisher..None of the tasks altered D2 receptor expression. Our study shows that different cognitive components of working memory training have distinguishable effects on D1-like receptor expression...