Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on erythropoietin in Göttingen, Lower Saxony, Germany
Locale: Göttingen, Lower Saxony, Germany
- Hagemeyer N, Boretius S, Ott C, Von Streitberg A, Welpinghus H, Sperling S, et al. Erythropoietin attenuates neurological and histological consequences of toxic demyelination in mice. Mol Med. 2012;18:628-35 pubmed publisher..These findings underscore the value of future therapeutic strategies for multiple sclerosis based on EPO or EPO variants. ..
- Kastner A, Grube S, El Kordi A, Stepniak B, Friedrichs H, Sargin D, et al. Common variants of the genes encoding erythropoietin and its receptor modulate cognitive performance in schizophrenia. Mol Med. 2012;18:1029-40 pubmed publisher..Together, these findings reveal a role of endogenous EPO/EPOR for cognition, at least in schizophrenic patients. ..
- Adamcio B, Sargin D, Stradomska A, Medrihan L, Gertler C, Theis F, et al. Erythropoietin enhances hippocampal long-term potentiation and memory. BMC Biol. 2008;6:37 pubmed publisher..These mechanisms of action of EPO have to be further exploited for treating neuropsychiatric diseases. ..
- Schettler V, Wieland E. A case report of darbepoetin treatment in a patient with sickle cell disease and chronic renal failure undergoing regular hemodialysis procedures that induce a dose-dependent extension of blood transfusion intervals. Ther Apher Dial. 2009;13:80-2 pubmed publisher..To substantiate our observation, further investigations are needed with more SCD patients undergoing regular hemodialysis treatment. ..
- El Kordi A, Radyushkin K, Ehrenreich H. Erythropoietin improves operant conditioning and stability of cognitive performance in mice. BMC Biol. 2009;7:37 pubmed publisher..Early erythropoietin treatment leads to lasting improvement of cognitive performance in healthy mice. This finding should be exploited in novel treatment strategies for brain diseases. ..
- Ramadori P, Ahmad G, Ramadori G. Cellular and molecular mechanisms regulating the hepatic erythropoietin expression during acute-phase response: a role for IL-6. Lab Invest. 2010;90:1306-24 pubmed publisher..The increase of HIF-2alpha, predominantly expressed in endothelial cells and fibroblast-like cells, seems not to be affected by the lack of IL-6. ..
- Sargin D, El Kordi A, Agarwal A, Muller M, Wojcik S, Hassouna I, et al. Expression of constitutively active erythropoietin receptor in pyramidal neurons of cortex and hippocampus boosts higher cognitive functions in mice. BMC Biol. 2011;9:27 pubmed publisher..This property of EPOR signaling should be exploited for defining novel strategies to therapeutically enhance cognitive performance in disease conditions. ..
- Knabe W, Knerlich F, Washausen S, Kietzmann T, Siren A, Brunnett G, et al. Expression patterns of erythropoietin and its receptor in the developing midbrain. Anat Embryol (Berl). 2004;207:503-12 pubmed..Whether the observed expression patterns of EPO and EPOR may reflect EPO-mediated trophic and/or antiapoptotic effects on neurons is discussed. ..