Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on micrornas in Berlin, Germany
Locale: Berlin, Germany
- Dieterich C, Grossmann S, Tanzer A, Röpcke S, Arndt P, Stadler P, et al. Comparative promoter region analysis powered by CORG. BMC Genomics. 2005;6:24 pubmed..Applications for CORG cover a broad range from studying evolution of DNA binding sites and promoter constitution to the discovery of new regulatory sequence elements (e.g. microRNAs and binding sites). ..
- Kreuzer Redmer S, Bekurtz J, Arends D, Bortfeldt R, Kutz Lohroff B, Sharbati S, et al. Feeding of Enterococcus faecium NCIMB 10415 Leads to Intestinal miRNA-423-5p-Induced Regulation of Immune-Relevant Genes. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2016;82:2263-2269 pubmed publisher..faeciumon the expression of miR-423-5p and on the regulation of the IGLC gene through miR-423-5p. This might be a possible mode of action of E. faeciumon immune cell regulation in the small intestine. ..
- Schaefer A, Jung M, Kristiansen G, Lein M, Schrader M, Miller K, et al. MicroRNAs and cancer: current state and future perspectives in urologic oncology. Urol Oncol. 2010;28:4-13 pubmed publisher..Detailed understanding of the characteristic miRNA abnormalities could contribute to novel approaches in diagnosis and treatment of urological tumors. ..
- Schaefer A, Jung M, Mollenkopf H, Wagner I, Stephan C, Jentzmik F, et al. Diagnostic and prognostic implications of microRNA profiling in prostate carcinoma. Int J Cancer. 2010;126:1166-76 pubmed publisher..Thus, differential miRNAs in prostate cancer are useful diagnostic and prognostic indicators. This study provides a solid basis for further functional analyses of miRNAs in prostate cancer. ..
- Fang Z, Rajewsky N. The impact of miRNA target sites in coding sequences and in 3'UTRs. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e18067 pubmed publisher..Combined with our other finding that miRNA target sites in coding regions are under negative selection, our results shed light on the functional importance of miRNA targeting in coding regions. ..
- Sharbati J, Lewin A, Kutz Lohroff B, Kamal E, Einspanier R, Sharbati S. Integrated microRNA-mRNA-analysis of human monocyte derived macrophages upon Mycobacterium avium subsp. hominissuis infection. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e20258 pubmed publisher..In addition, functional relevance was confirmed by uncovering the control of major caspases 3 and 7 by let-7e and miR-29a, respectively. ..
- Wotschofsky Z, Meyer H, Jung M, Fendler A, Wagner I, Stephan C, et al. Reference genes for the relative quantification of microRNAs in renal cell carcinomas and their metastases. Anal Biochem. 2011;417:233-41 pubmed publisher..RNU6B most frequently used as normalizer in miRNA expression studies should be abandoned in order to avoid misleading results. ..
- Gummlich L, Rabien A, Jung K, Dubiel W. Deregulation of the COP9 signalosome-cullin-RING ubiquitin-ligase pathway: mechanisms and roles in urological cancers. Int J Biochem Cell Biol. 2013;45:1327-37 pubmed publisher..Recently evaluated miRNAs altered in urological cancers might have impact on the CSN-CRL pathway which has to be analyzed in future experiments. We propose that the pathway is a suitable target for future tumor therapy. ..
- Costa I, Roepcke S, Schliep A. Gene expression trees in lymphoid development. BMC Immunol. 2007;8:25 pubmed..The implementation of our method (licensed under the GPL) is available at http://algorithmics.molgen.mpg.de/Supplements/ExpLym/. ..
- Haselmann V, Kurz A, Bertsch U, Hübner S, Olempska Müller M, Fritsch J, et al. Nuclear death receptor TRAIL-R2 inhibits maturation of let-7 and promotes proliferation of pancreatic and other tumor cells. Gastroenterology. 2014;146:278-90 pubmed publisher..These findings indicate that in the nucleus, death receptors can function as tumor promoters and might be therapeutic targets. ..
- Herberth G, Bauer M, Gasch M, Hinz D, Röder S, Olek S, et al. Maternal and cord blood miR-223 expression associates with prenatal tobacco smoke exposure and low regulatory T-cell numbers. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2014;133:543-50 pubmed publisher..For the first time, we show that maternal tobacco smoke exposure during pregnancy correlates with the level of miRNA-223 expression in blood, with an effect on children's cord blood Treg cell numbers and subsequent allergy risk. ..
- Stittrich A, Haftmann C, Sgouroudis E, Kühl A, Hegazy A, Panse I, et al. The microRNA miR-182 is induced by IL-2 and promotes clonal expansion of activated helper T lymphocytes. Nat Immunol. 2010;11:1057-62 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate a central role for miR-182 in the physiological regulation of IL-2-driven helper T cell-mediated immune responses and open new therapeutic possibilities...
- Ahmed R, Chang Z, Younis A, Langnick C, Li N, Chen W, et al. Conserved miRNAs are candidate post-transcriptional regulators of developmental arrest in free-living and parasitic nematodes. Genome Biol Evol. 2013;5:1246-60 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that common post-transcriptional regulatory mechanisms are at work and that the same miRNA families play important roles in developmental arrest and long-term survival in free-living and parasitic nematodes. ..
- Tattikota S, Sury M, Rathjen T, Wessels H, Pandey A, You X, et al. Argonaute2 regulates the pancreatic β-cell secretome. Mol Cell Proteomics. 2013;12:1214-25 pubmed publisher..This study specifically addresses the role of Ago2 in the systemic release of proteins from β-cells and highlights the contribution of the microRNA pathway to the function of this cell type. ..
- Tattikota S, Rathjen T, McAnulty S, Wessels H, Akerman I, van de Bunt M, et al. Argonaute2 mediates compensatory expansion of the pancreatic Î² cell. Cell Metab. 2014;19:122-34 pubmed publisher..This study identifies the targeting of Ago2 by miR-184 as an essential component of the compensatory response to regulate proliferation according to insulin sensitivity. ..
- Knoll M, Simmons S, Bouquet C, Grün J, Melchers F. miR-221 redirects precursor B cells to the BM and regulates their residence. Eur J Immunol. 2013;43:2497-506 pubmed publisher..Microarray analyses identified 25 downregulated miR-221-target genes, which could function to localize phases of B-lymphocyte development in BM before and after commitment. ..
- Börno S, Fischer A, Kerick M, Fälth M, Laible M, Brase J, et al. Genome-wide DNA methylation events in TMPRSS2-ERG fusion-negative prostate cancers implicate an EZH2-dependent mechanism with miR-26a hypermethylation. Cancer Discov. 2012;2:1024-35 pubmed publisher..Using a sequencing-based approach, our work uncovers significant global epigenetic alterations in TMPRSS2-ERG gene fusion-negative tumors and provides a mechanistic explanation for the tumor formation process. ..
- Pennimpede T, Proske J, Konig A, Vidigal J, Morkel M, Bramsen J, et al. In vivo knockdown of Brachyury results in skeletal defects and urorectal malformations resembling caudal regression syndrome. Dev Biol. 2012;372:55-67 pubmed publisher..Since KD3-T animals survive until birth, they are useful for examining later roles for T in the development of urorectal tissues. ..
- Queirós A, Eschen C, Fliegner D, Kararigas G, Dworatzek E, Westphal C, et al. Sex- and estrogen-dependent regulation of a miRNA network in the healthy and hypertrophied heart. Int J Cardiol. 2013;169:331-8 pubmed publisher..Estrogen regulates a network of miRNAs in a sex-specific manner via ER?. Our data suggest that the sex-specific expression of these miRNAs may be related to sex differences in fibrosis after pressure overload. ..
- Rybak A, Fuchs H, Hadian K, Smirnova L, Wulczyn E, Michel G, et al. The let-7 target gene mouse lin-41 is a stem cell specific E3 ubiquitin ligase for the miRNA pathway protein Ago2. Nat Cell Biol. 2009;11:1411-20 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, mLin41 cooperated with the pluripotency factor Lin-28 in suppressing let-7 activity, revealing a dual control mechanism regulating let-7 in stem cells. ..
- Kather A, Raftery M, Devi Rao G, Lippmann J, Giese T, Sandri Goldin R, et al. Herpes simplex virus type 1 (HSV-1)-induced apoptosis in human dendritic cells as a result of downregulation of cellular FLICE-inhibitory protein and reduced expression of HSV-1 antiapoptotic latency-associated transcript sequences. J Virol. 2010;84:1034-46 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results demonstrate that apoptosis of HSV-1-infected iDCs requires both c-FLIP downregulation and diminished expression of viral LAT. ..
- Faggad A, Budczies J, Tchernitsa O, Darb Esfahani S, Sehouli J, Müller B, et al. Prognostic significance of Dicer expression in ovarian cancer-link to global microRNA changes and oestrogen receptor expression. J Pathol. 2010;220:382-91 pubmed publisher..Knowledge of these molecular pathways may help toward new targeted therapeutic approaches for ovarian cancer. ..
- Schlesinger J, Schueler M, Grunert M, Fischer J, Zhang Q, Krueger T, et al. The cardiac transcription network modulated by Gata4, Mef2a, Nkx2.5, Srf, histone modifications, and microRNAs. PLoS Genet. 2011;7:e1001313 pubmed publisher..This opens a new perspective to understand heart development and the complexity cardiovascular disorders. ..
- Hodzic M, NAALDIJK Y, Stolzing A. Regulating aging in adult stem cells with microRNA. Z Gerontol Geriatr. 2013;46:629-34 pubmed publisher..These properties and the assumption that microRNAs act as some kind of general switch make them highly relevant in aging research. ..
- Ott C, Grünhagen J, Jäger M, Horbelt D, Schwill S, Kallenbach K, et al. MicroRNAs differentially expressed in postnatal aortic development downregulate elastin via 3' UTR and coding-sequence binding sites. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e16250 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate that multiple miR-29 and miR-15 family MREs are characteristic for some ECM genes and suggest that miR-29 and miR-15 family miRNAs are involved in the down-regulation of elastin in the adult aorta. ..
- Weber D, Gawrych K, Casjens S, Brik A, Lehnert M, Taeger D, et al. Circulating miR-132-3p as a Candidate Diagnostic Biomarker for Malignant Mesothelioma. Dis Markers. 2017;2017:9280170 pubmed publisher..It is indicated that the combination of miR-132-3p with other individual biomarkers improves the biomarker performance. ..
- Mudduluru G, Ilm K, Fuchs S, Stein U. Epigenetic silencing of miR-520c leads to induced S100A4 expression and its mediated colorectal cancer progression. Oncotarget. 2017;8:21081-21094 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our findings demonstrate that S100A4 is post-transcriptionally regulated by tumor suppressor miRs, miR-505c-5p and miR-520c-3p, and particularly miR-520c-3p expression is epigenetically silenced in CRC. ..
- Baumgarten A, Bang C, Tschirner A, Engelmann A, Adams V, von Haehling S, et al. TWIST1 regulates the activity of ubiquitin proteasome system via the miR-199/214 cluster in human end-stage dilated cardiomyopathy. Int J Cardiol. 2013;168:1447-52 pubmed publisher..The TWIST1/miR-199/214 axis is down-regulated in dilated cardiomyopathy, which is likely to play a role in the increased activity of the UPS. This may contribute to the loss of cardiac mass during dilatation of the heart. ..
- Sharma C, Darfeuille F, Plantinga T, Vogel J. A small RNA regulates multiple ABC transporter mRNAs by targeting C/A-rich elements inside and upstream of ribosome-binding sites. Genes Dev. 2007;21:2804-17 pubmed..Taken together, our study suggests highly conserved regions in sRNAs and mRNA regions distant from Shine-Dalgarno sequences as important elements for the identification of sRNA targets...
- Chen W, Jensen L, Gecz J, Fryns J, Moraine C, de Brouwer A, et al. Mutation screening of brain-expressed X-chromosomal miRNA genes in 464 patients with nonsyndromic X-linked mental retardation. Eur J Hum Genet. 2007;15:375-8 pubmed..All the observed changes appear to be functionally neutral which, taken together with the rarity of detected nucleotide changes in miRNA genes, may reflect strong selection and thus underline the functional importance of miRNAs. ..
- Hoeke L, Sharbati J, Pawar K, Keller A, Einspanier R, Sharbati S. Intestinal Salmonella typhimurium infection leads to miR-29a induced caveolin 2 regulation. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e67300 pubmed publisher..Further analysis of examined interactions may support the discovery of novel strategies impairing the uptake of intracellular pathogens. ..
- Klopfleisch R, Weiss A, Gruber A. Excavation of a buried treasure--DNA, mRNA, miRNA and protein analysis in formalin fixed, paraffin embedded tissues. Histol Histopathol. 2011;26:797-810 pubmed publisher..In addition, methods and general problems of DNA, miRNA, mRNA and protein extraction and the current knowledge on the feasibility and accuracy of quantitative gene expression analysis in FFPE tissues is summarized...
- Mairinger F, Werner R, Flom E, Schmeller J, Borchert S, Wessolly M, et al. miRNA regulation is important for DNA damage repair and recognition in malignant pleural mesothelioma. Virchows Arch. 2017;470:627-637 pubmed publisher..Taking the specific molecular profile of the tumour into account can help to enhance the clinical management prospectively and to smooth the way to better response prediction. ..
- Necsulea A, Soumillon M, Warnefors M, Liechti A, Daish T, Zeller U, et al. The evolution of lncRNA repertoires and expression patterns in tetrapods. Nature. 2014;505:635-40 pubmed publisher..This network suggests potential functions for lncRNAs in fundamental processes such as spermatogenesis and synaptic transmission, but also in more specific mechanisms such as placenta development through microRNA production. ..
- Coskun E, Neumann M, Schlee C, Liebertz F, Heesch S, Goekbuget N, et al. MicroRNA profiling reveals aberrant microRNA expression in adult ETP-ALL and functional studies implicate a role for miR-222 in acute leukemia. Leuk Res. 2013;37:647-56 pubmed publisher..Importantly, miR-222 may impact leukemogenesis by altering expression of the proto-oncogene ETS1 in acute leukemia. ..
- Smirnova L, Gräfe A, Seiler A, Schumacher S, Nitsch R, Wulczyn F. Regulation of miRNA expression during neural cell specification. Eur J Neurosci. 2005;21:1469-77 pubmed..miRNA were strongly induced during neural differentiation of embryonic stem cells, suggesting the validity of the stem cell model for studying miRNA regulation in neural development. ..
- Papenfort K, Pfeiffer V, Lucchini S, Sonawane A, Hinton J, Vogel J. Systematic deletion of Salmonella small RNA genes identifies CyaR, a conserved CRP-dependent riboregulator of OmpX synthesis. Mol Microbiol. 2008;68:890-906 pubmed publisher..This represents a new link between porin repression and nutrient availability that is likely to be widely conserved among enterobacteria...
- Datwyler A, Lättig Tünnemann G, Yang W, Paschen W, Lee S, Dirnagl U, et al. SUMO2/3 conjugation is an endogenous neuroprotective mechanism. J Cereb Blood Flow Metab. 2011;31:2152-9 pubmed publisher..Damaging OGD (75 minutes) increased neuronal loss to 54% (control microRNA) and to 99% (SUMO2/3 microRNA). This suggests that activation of SUMO2/3 conjugation is an endogenous neuroprotective stress response. ..
- Muro E, Mah N, Andrade Navarro M. Functional evidence of post-transcriptional regulation by pseudogenes. Biochimie. 2011;93:1916-21 pubmed publisher..In this review, we chronicle the events following the initial discovery of the 'useless' pseudogene to its breakthrough as a functional molecule with hitherto unbeknownst potential to influence human disease. ..
- Fassi Fehri L, Koch M, Belogolova E, Khalil H, Bolz C, Kalali B, et al. Helicobacter pylori induces miR-155 in T cells in a cAMP-Foxp3-dependent manner. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e9500 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our study describes, in the context of an H. pylori infection, a direct link between Foxp3 and miR-155 in human T cells and highlights the significance of cAMP in this miR-155 induction cascade. ..
- Tchernitsa O, Kasajima A, Schafer R, Kuban R, Ungethüm U, Gyorffy B, et al. Systematic evaluation of the miRNA-ome and its downstream effects on mRNA expression identifies gastric cancer progression. J Pathol. 2010;222:310-9 pubmed publisher..Gastric cancer shows a complex derangement of the miRNA-ome, including Dicer and Drosha. These changes correlate independently with patient prognosis and probably influence local tumour growth and nodal spread. ..
- Juszczak I, Baier M. The strength of the miR398-Csd2-CCS1 regulon is subject to natural variation in Arabidopsis thaliana. FEBS Lett. 2012;586:3385-90 pubmed publisher..It is concluded that the escape from the miRNA control of copper homeostasis is linked to adaptation of Cvi-0 to its harsh natural habitat. ..
- Fischer L, Hummel M, Korfel A, Lenze D, Joehrens K, Thiel E. Differential micro-RNA expression in primary CNS and nodal diffuse large B-cell lymphomas. Neuro Oncol. 2011;13:1090-8 pubmed publisher..We conclude that PCNSL exhibits a distinct pattern of miRNA expression compared with nDLBCL. This argues for the involvement of different molecular mechanisms in the pathogenesis of these two lymphoma types. ..
- Fendler A, Jung M, Stephan C, Honey R, Stewart R, Pace K, et al. miRNAs can predict prostate cancer biochemical relapse and are involved in tumor progression. Int J Oncol. 2011;39:1183-92 pubmed publisher..miRNAs can be reliable predictive markers for biochemical relapse of prostate cancer at the time of radical prostatectomy. This should have significant impact on patient managing plans. ..
- Krause C, Popp O, Thirunarayanan N, Dittmar G, Lipp M, MÃ¼ller G. MicroRNA-34a promotes genomic instability by a broad suppression of genome maintenance mechanisms downstream of the oncogene KSHV-vGPCR. Oncotarget. 2016;7:10414-32 pubmed publisher..This novel, protumorigenic role of miR-34a questions the use of miR-34a mimetics in cancer therapy as they could impair genome stability. ..
- Bohmer M, Sharbati J, Zur Bruegge J, Einspanier R, Sharbati S. Structural analysis of microRNA-target interaction by sequential seed mutagenesis and stem-loop 3' RACE. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e81427 pubmed publisher..The combination of both methods (SMAP and SLURP) enables targeted analysis of microRNA binding sites in hitherto unknown mRNA 3' UTRs within a few days. ..
- Lamperska K, Kolenda T, Teresiak A, Kowalik A, Kruszyna Mochalska M, Jackowiak W, et al. Different levels of let-7d expression modulate response of FaDu cells to irradiation and chemotherapeutics. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0180265 pubmed publisher..Only two of the generated models (A and C) were radiosensitive (p = 0.0002). the above results indicated that the level of let-7d expression is an important factor for cell response to irradiation and chemotherapeutics. ..
- Eisenreich A, Langer S, Herlan L, Kreutz R. Regulation of podoplanin expression by microRNA-29b associates with its antiapoptotic effect in angiotensin II-induced injury of human podocytes. J Hypertens. 2016;34:323-31 pubmed publisher..These data demonstrate the posttranscriptional control of PDPN expression by miRNA-29b and support a role of PDPN as an antiapoptotic prosurvival factor in AngII-induced injury of human podocytes. ..
- Coskun E, von der Heide E, Schlee C, Kühnl A, Gökbuget N, Hoelzer D, et al. The role of microRNA-196a and microRNA-196b as ERG regulators in acute myeloid leukemia and acute T-lymphoblastic leukemia. Leuk Res. 2011;35:208-13 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, our results identify miR-196a and miR-196b as ERG regulators and implicate a potential role for these miRNAs in acute leukemia. ..
- Assie G, Letouze E, Fassnacht M, Jouinot A, Luscap W, Barreau O, et al. Integrated genomic characterization of adrenocortical carcinoma. Nat Genet. 2014;46:607-12 pubmed publisher..Thus, aggressive and indolent ACCs correspond to two distinct molecular entities driven by different oncogenic alterations...
- Wulczyn F, Cuevas E, Franzoni E, Rybak A. MiRNA need a TRIM regulation of miRNA activity by Trim-NHL proteins. Adv Exp Med Biol. 2010;700:85-105 pubmed..In this chapter we will describe structure-function relations for each of the proteins and then focus on the lessons being learned from these proteins about miRNA functions in development and in stem cell biology. ..
- Memczak S, Jens M, Elefsinioti A, Torti F, Krueger J, Rybak A, et al. Circular RNAs are a large class of animal RNAs with regulatory potency. Nature. 2013;495:333-8 pubmed publisher..Numerous circRNAs form by head-to-tail splicing of exons, suggesting previously unrecognized regulatory potential of coding sequences. ..
- Hesse M, Arenz C. MicroRNA maturation and human disease. Methods Mol Biol. 2014;1095:11-25 pubmed publisher..Herein, we review the current knowledge of how miRNAs are linked to human disease and which parts of the miRNA maturation machinery could serve as future drug targets. ..
- Ghani S, Riemke P, Schönheit J, Lenze D, Stumm J, Hoogenkamp M, et al. Macrophage development from HSCs requires PU.1-coordinated microRNA expression. Blood. 2011;118:2275-84 pubmed publisher..In the present study, we describe a PU.1-orchestrated miR program that mediates key functions of PU.1 during myeloid differentiation. ..
- Koch M, Mollenkopf H, Klemm U, Meyer T. Induction of microRNA-155 is TLR- and type IV secretion system-dependent in macrophages and inhibits DNA-damage induced apoptosis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012;109:E1153-62 pubmed publisher..pylori pathogenicity factor, the T4SS, in the up-regulation of miR-155 in BMMs. We propose the antiapoptotic effects of miR-155 could enhance macrophage resistance to apoptosis induced by DNA damage during H. pylori infection. ..
- Lehmann S, Krüger C, Park B, Derkow K, Rosenberger K, Baumgart J, et al. An unconventional role for miRNA: let-7 activates Toll-like receptor 7 and causes neurodegeneration. Nat Neurosci. 2012;15:827-35 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that microRNAs can function as signaling molecules and identify TLR7 as an essential element in a pathway that contributes to the spread of CNS damage. ..
- Bhushan R, Grünhagen J, Becker J, Robinson P, Ott C, Knaus P. miR-181a promotes osteoblastic differentiation through repression of TGF-? signaling molecules. Int J Biochem Cell Biol. 2013;45:696-705 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, our findings suggest that Rgs4 and Gata6 are direct targets of miR-181a. Taken together, we provide evidence for a crucial functional link between a specific miRNA, miR-181a and osteoblastic differentiation. ..
- Li N, You X, Chen T, Mackowiak S, Friedländer M, Weigt M, et al. Global profiling of miRNAs and the hairpin precursors: insights into miRNA processing and novel miRNA discovery. Nucleic Acids Res. 2013;41:3619-34 pubmed publisher..Evaluation on data sets obtained from Caenorhabditis elegans and Caenorhabditis sp.11 demonstrated that miRGrep could be widely used for miRNA discovery in metazoans, especially in those without genome reference sequences. ..