Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on brain in Berlin, Germany
Locale: Berlin, Germany
Publications126 found, 100 shown here
- Kononenko N, Diril M, Puchkov D, Kintscher M, Koo S, Pfuhl G, et al. Compromised fidelity of endocytic synaptic vesicle protein sorting in the absence of stonin 2. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013;110:E526-35 pubmed publisher..Our results are consistent with a model whereby Stn2 is required to preserve SV protein composition but is dispensable for maintaining the speed of SV recycling. ..
- Dithmer S, Staat C, Müller C, Ku M, Pohlmann A, Niendorf T, et al. Claudin peptidomimetics modulate tissue barriers for enhanced drug delivery. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2017;1397:169-184 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, we identified claudin-5 peptidomimetics that improve drug delivery through endothelial and epithelial barriers expressing claudin-5. ..
- Adjaye J, Herwig R, Herrmann D, Wruck W, Benkahla A, Brink T, et al. Cross-species hybridisation of human and bovine orthologous genes on high density cDNA microarrays. BMC Genomics. 2004;5:83 pubmed
- Citron F. Neural correlates of written emotion word processing: a review of recent electrophysiological and hemodynamic neuroimaging studies. Brain Lang. 2012;122:211-26 pubmed publisher..2006) as well as the first review of hemodynamic brain imaging studies in the field. A discussion of theoretical and methodological issues is also presented, along with suggestions for future research. ..
- Guitart Masip M, Salami A, Garrett D, Rieckmann A, Lindenberger U, BÃ¤ckman L. BOLD Variability is Related to Dopaminergic Neurotransmission and Cognitive Aging. Cereb Cortex. 2016;26:2074-2083 pubmed publisher..Our results show that age-related DA losses contribute to changes in brain signal variability in subcortical regions and suggest a potential mechanism, by which neocortical BOLD variability supports cognitive performance. ..
- Wulczyn F, Smirnova L, Rybak A, Brandt C, Kwidzinski E, Ninnemann O, et al. Post-transcriptional regulation of the let-7 microRNA during neural cell specification. FASEB J. 2007;21:415-26 pubmed..Developmental regulation of the processing pathway correlates with differential localization of the proteins Argonaute, FMRP, MOV10, and TNRC6B in self-renewing stem cells and neurons. ..
- Keil J, Pomper U, Senkowski D. Distinct patterns of local oscillatory activity and functional connectivity underlie intersensory attention and temporal prediction. Cortex. 2016;74:277-88 pubmed publisher..Our study provides insights into how IA and TP dynamically shape oscillatory power and functional connectivity to facilitate stimulus processing. ..
- Gültner S, Laue M, Riemer C, Heise I, Baier M. Prion disease development in slow Wallerian degeneration (Wld(S)) mice. Neurosci Lett. 2009;456:93-8 pubmed publisher..These findings distinguish the neurodegeneration occuring in this prion model from chronic neurodegenerative diseases, in which the Wld(S)-mutation provides axon protection and greatly improves the clinical outcome...
- Maurer I, Schippel P, Volz H. Lithium-induced enhancement of mitochondrial oxidative phosphorylation in human brain tissue. Bipolar Disord. 2009;11:515-22 pubmed publisher..The effect may be relevant to the therapeutic efficacy of the drug by potentially reversing a disease-related alteration. ..
- Russ J, Futschik M. Comparison and consolidation of microarray data sets of human tissue expression. BMC Genomics. 2010;11:305 pubmed publisher..The provided compendium of platform-independent gene lists should facilitate the identification of novel tissue-specific marker genes. ..
- Vossenkamper A, Struck D, Alvarado Esquivel C, Went T, Takeda K, Akira S, et al. Both IL-12 and IL-18 contribute to small intestinal Th1-type immunopathology following oral infection with Toxoplasma gondii, but IL-12 is dominant over IL-18 in parasite control. Eur J Immunol. 2004;34:3197-207 pubmed..Therefore, neutralization of IL-18 (rather than TNF-alpha, IL-12, and IFN-gamma) may be a safe strategy for the treatment of Th1-associated diseases. ..
- Göppert T, Muller R. Polysorbate-stabilized solid lipid nanoparticles as colloidal carriers for intravenous targeting of drugs to the brain: comparison of plasma protein adsorption patterns. J Drug Target. 2005;13:179-87 pubmed
- Hansen H, Krutz B, Sifringer M, Stefovska V, Bittigau P, Pragst F, et al. Cannabinoids enhance susceptibility of immature brain to ethanol neurotoxicity. Ann Neurol. 2008;64:42-52 pubmed
- Lindenberger U, Ghisletta P. Cognitive and sensory declines in old age: gauging the evidence for a common cause. Psychol Aging. 2009;24:1-16 pubmed publisher..Contrary to expectations, the correlations between cognitive and sensory declines were only moderate in size, underscoring the need to delineate both domain-general and function-specific mechanisms of behavioral senescence. ..
- Tölle A, Jung M, Lein M, Johannsen M, Miller K, Moch H, et al. Brain-type and liver-type fatty acid-binding proteins: new tumor markers for renal cancer?. BMC Cancer. 2009;9:248 pubmed publisher..Further studies should identify the role of both FABPs in carcinogenesis, progression and with regard to a potential target in RCC. ..
- SchrÃ¶tter S, Leondaritis G, Eickholt B. Capillary Isoelectric Focusing of Akt Isoforms Identifies Highly Dynamic Phosphorylation in Neuronal Cells and Brain Tissue. J Biol Chem. 2016;291:10239-51 pubmed publisher..Our study demonstrates the presence of complex phosphorylation events of Akt in a time- and signal-dependent manner in neurons. ..
- Ruf N, Uhlenberg B. Analysis of human alternative first exons and copy number variation of the GJA12 gene in patients with Pelizaeus-Merzbacher-like disease. Am J Med Genet B Neuropsychiatr Genet. 2009;150B:226-32 pubmed publisher..Full genome scans in informative families and further screenings of candidate genes are feasible approaches to elucidate the genetic background of the majority of patients with PMLD. ..
- Treder M, Blankertz B. (C)overt attention and visual speller design in an ERP-based brain-computer interface. Behav Brain Funct. 2010;6:28 pubmed publisher..The Hex-o-Spell outperforms the Matrix, especially when eye movements are not permitted, illustrating that performance can be increased if one accounts for peculiarities of peripheral vision. ..
- Lorenz C, Contardo Jara V, Pflugmacher S, Wiegand C, Nützmann G, Lutz I, et al. The synthetic gestagen levonorgestrel impairs metamorphosis in Xenopus laevis by disruption of the thyroid system. Toxicol Sci. 2011;123:94-102 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, our data demonstrate for the first time a completely new aspect of thyroid system disruption caused by synthetic gestagens in developing amphibians. ..
- Thompson C, Meitzen J, Replogle K, Drnevich J, Lent K, Wissman A, et al. Seasonal changes in patterns of gene expression in avian song control brain regions. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e35119 pubmed publisher..Our results provide insights into the complex molecular pathways that underlie adult neural plasticity. ..
- Kovacs R, Heinemann U, Steinhäuser C. Mechanisms underlying blood-brain barrier dysfunction in brain pathology and epileptogenesis: role of astroglia. Epilepsia. 2012;53 Suppl 6:53-9 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, astrocytic activation preceding alterations in neuronal function might critically contribute to epileptogenesis. Therefore, astrocytes represent a promising new target for the development of antiepileptic drugs. ..
- Memczak S, Jens M, Elefsinioti A, Torti F, Krueger J, Rybak A, et al. Circular RNAs are a large class of animal RNAs with regulatory potency. Nature. 2013;495:333-8 pubmed publisher..Numerous circRNAs form by head-to-tail splicing of exons, suggesting previously unrecognized regulatory potential of coding sequences. ..
- Koelsch S. Brain correlates of music-evoked emotions. Nat Rev Neurosci. 2014;15:170-80 pubmed publisher..The potential of music to modulate activity in these structures has important implications for the use of music in the treatment of psychiatric and neurological disorders. ..
- Meyer D, Yamaai T, Garratt A, Riethmacher Sonnenberg E, Kane D, Theill L, et al. Isoform-specific expression and function of neuregulin. Development. 1997;124:3575-86 pubmed..The complexity of neuregulin functions in development is therefore due to independent roles played by distinct isoforms. ..
- Cheung G, Kann O, Kohsaka S, Făerber K, Kettenmann H. GABAergic activities enhance macrophage inflammatory protein-1alpha release from microglia (brain macrophages) in postnatal mouse brain. J Physiol. 2009;587:753-68 pubmed publisher..Our observations indicate that invading microglia in early postnatal development sense GABAergic activities indirectly via sensing changes in [K(+)](o) which results in an increase in MIP1-alpha release. ..
- Vidal F. Brainhood, anthropological figure of modernity. Hist Human Sci. 2009;22:5-36 pubmed
- Sander S, Diwan M, Raymond R, Nobrega J, Richter A. Lower KV7.5 Potassium Channel Subunit Expression in an Animal Model of Paroxysmal Dystonia. CNS Neurol Disord Drug Targets. 2016;15:95-101 pubmed..5 channels. The experiments indicate a functional relevance for KV7.5 channels in paroxysmal dystonia. We suggest that compounds highly selective for subtypes of KV7 channels, i.e. for KV7.5, may provide new therapeutic approaches. ..
- Lee B, Chu S, Kwon H, Park C, Sirion U, Brockschnieder D, et al. Synthesis and evaluation of 6-(3-[(18)F]fluoro-2-hydroxypropyl)-substituted 2-pyridylbenzothiophenes and 2-pyridylbenzothiazoles as potential PET tracers for imaging A? plaques. Bioorg Med Chem. 2016;24:2043-52 pubmed publisher..0, 16.0, 30.0 and 49.0 at a peak/30, 60, 90, and 120 min, respectively. These results suggest that (S)-[(18)F]1c may be a potential PET tracer for imaging A? plaque in a living brain. ..
- Dunay I, Heimesaat M, Bushrab F, Muller R, Stocker H, Arasteh K, et al. Atovaquone maintenance therapy prevents reactivation of toxoplasmic encephalitis in a murine model of reactivated toxoplasmosis. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2004;48:4848-54 pubmed..The therapeutic efficacy of atovaquone for maintenance therapy against TE should be further investigated in clinical trials. ..
- Schröter U, Malun D, Menzel R. Innervation pattern of suboesophageal ventral unpaired median neurones in the honeybee brain. Cell Tissue Res. 2007;327:647-67 pubmed..In addition, we describe one labial unpaired median neurone with a dorsal cell body, DUMlb1. The possible homology between the honeybee VUM neurones and the unpaired median neurones in other insects is discussed. ..
- Marchal J, Ghani M, Schindler D, Gavvovidis I, Winkler T, Esquitino V, et al. Misregulation of mitotic chromosome segregation in a new type of autosomal recessive primary microcephaly. Cell Cycle. 2011;10:2967-77 pubmed..In addition, our findings represent further evidence for the proposed role of MCPH genes in the regulation of mitotic progression...
- Spitzer B, Blankenburg F, Summerfield C. Rhythmic gain control during supramodal integration of approximate number. Neuroimage. 2016;129:470-479 pubmed publisher..In other words, rhythmic gain control during sequential processing is a supramodal phenomenon that occurs while information is integrated towards a categorical decision. ..
- Thomzig A, Kratzel C, Lenz G, Krüger D, Beekes M. Widespread PrPSc accumulation in muscles of hamsters orally infected with scrapie. EMBO Rep. 2003;4:530-3 pubmed..Therefore, the findings described here highlight further the necessity to investigate thoroughly whether muscles of TSE-infected sheep, cattle, elk and deer contain infectious agents. ..
- Neumann L, von Moers A, Kunze J, Blankenstein O, Marquardt T. Congenital disorder of glycosylation type 1a in a macrosomic 16-month-old boy with an atypical phenotype and homozygosity of the N216I mutation. Eur J Pediatr. 2003;162:710-3 pubmed..This is the first report of macrosomia and of homozygosity for the 647A>T (N216I) mutation in a patient with congenital disorder of glycosylation type 1a which may allow further phenotype/genotype comparisons. ..
- Ernst A, Stolzing A, Sandig G, Grune T. Antioxidants effectively prevent oxidation-induced protein damage in OLN 93 cells. Arch Biochem Biophys. 2004;421:54-60 pubmed..Therefore, we concluded that the excessive oxidative damage of oligodendrocytes and their protein pool can be prevented by the usage of antioxidants. ..
- Schmitt F, Buchheim K, Meierkord H, Holtkamp M. Anticonvulsant properties of hypothermia in experimental status epilepticus. Neurobiol Dis. 2006;23:689-96 pubmed..The results still require confirmation in other animal models and also clinical studies are urgently needed. However, our data indicate that cooling could well become a future adjunct in the treatment of status epilepticus in patients. ..
- Bourayou R, Boeth H, Benav H, Betz T, Lindauer U, Nierhaus T, et al. Fluorescence tomography technique optimized for noninvasive imaging of the mouse brain. J Biomed Opt. 2008;13:041311 pubmed publisher..iii) Finally, on an animal model with a fluorescent inclusion in the brain, the target position was reconstructed with an accuracy of 1.6 mm. ..
- Urbatzka R, Watermann B, Lutz I, Kloas W. Exposure of Xenopus laevis tadpoles to finasteride, an inhibitor of 5-alpha reductase activity, impairs spermatogenesis and alters hypophyseal feedback mechanisms. J Mol Endocrinol. 2009;43:209-19 pubmed publisher..This study provides evidence that exposure of X. laevis to FIN, an inhibitor of 5-alpha reductases, impaired spermatogenesis and involved sex-specific hypophyseal feedback mechanisms. ..
- Karczewski P, Pohlmann A, Wagenhaus B, Wisbrun N, Hempel P, Lemke B, et al. Antibodies to the Î±1-adrenergic receptor cause vascular impairments in rat brain as demonstrated by magnetic resonance angiography. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e41602 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest the pathological significance of these antibodies in pathologies of the human central nervous system linked to impairments of brain vasculature such as stroke and dementia. ..
- Pulvermüller F. Semantic embodiment, disembodiment or misembodiment? In search of meaning in modules and neuron circuits. Brain Lang. 2013;127:86-103 pubmed publisher..In this sense, APT suggests integrative-neuromechanistic explanations of why both sensorimotor and multimodal areas of the human brain differentially contribute to specific facets of meaning and concepts. ..
- Ballmaier M, Bortolato M, Rizzetti C, Zoli M, Gessa G, Heinz A, et al. Cannabinoid receptor antagonists counteract sensorimotor gating deficits in the phencyclidine model of psychosis. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2007;32:2098-107 pubmed..Our findings further suggest that CB1 receptor antagonism may be involved in restoring disturbed interactions between the activity of the endocannabinoid system and glutamate neurotransmitter system implied in schizophrenia. ..
- Urbatzka R, Lutz I, Kloas W. Aromatase, steroid-5-alpha-reductase type 1 and type 2 mRNA expression in gonads and in brain of Xenopus laevis during ontogeny. Gen Comp Endocrinol. 2007;153:280-8 pubmed..Especially in gonads Srd5a2 seems to be important for physiological regulation of testis development while Aro is associated with the development of ovaries. ..
- Fischer L, Martus P, Weller M, Klasen H, Rohden B, Roth A, et al. Meningeal dissemination in primary CNS lymphoma: prospective evaluation of 282 patients. Neurology. 2008;71:1102-8 pubmed publisher..The rate of discordant PCR and cytomorphologic results was high. Thus, the methods should be regarded as complementary. CSF pleocytosis had predictive value for meningeal dissemination detection. ..
- Dzietko M, Sifringer M, Klaus J, Endesfelder S, Brait D, Hansen H, et al. Neurotoxic effects of MDMA (ecstasy) on the developing rodent brain. Dev Neurosci. 2010;32:197-207 pubmed publisher..The upregulation of BDNF and NT-3 expression may indicate an important compensatory mechanism leading to the survival of neuronal cells in the developing brain. ..
- Siebert E, Diekmann S, Masuhr F, Bauknecht H, Schreiber S, Klingebiel R, et al. Measurement of cerebral circulation times using dynamic whole-brain CT-angiography: feasibility and initial experience. Neurol Sci. 2012;33:741-7 pubmed publisher..Thus, the CCTs can be measured non-invasively using clinical 4D CTA. Early venous drainage with shortened CCTs was observed by 4D CTA in all five patients with AVMs. ..
- Herfst L, Burgalossi A, Haskic K, Tukker J, Schmidt M, Brecht M. Friction-based stabilization of juxtacellular recordings in freely moving rats. J Neurophysiol. 2012;108:697-707 pubmed publisher..Our method allows recordings from identified neurons in freely moving animals, and thus opens new perspectives for analyzing the role of identified neurons in the control of behavior. ..
- Brehmer F, Bendix I, Prager S, Van de Looij Y, Reinboth B, Zimmermanns J, et al. Interaction of inflammation and hyperoxia in a rat model of neonatal white matter damage. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e49023 pubmed publisher..The knowledge about mechanisms that triggered hypomyelination contributes to a better understanding of WMD in premature born infants. ..
- Kettenmann H, Kirchhoff F, Verkhratsky A. Microglia: new roles for the synaptic stripper. Neuron. 2013;77:10-8 pubmed publisher..Microglial dysfunction results in behavioral deficits, indicating that microglia are essential for proper brain function. This defines a new role for microglia beyond being a mere pathologic sensor. ..
- Rüder C, Reimer T, Delgado Martinez I, Hermosilla R, Engelsberg A, Nehring R, et al. EBAG9 adds a new layer of control on large dense-core vesicle exocytosis via interaction with Snapin. Mol Biol Cell. 2005;16:1245-57 pubmed..The conjunction between EBAG9 and Snapin adds an additional layer of control on exocytosis processes; in addition, mechanistic evidence is provided that inhibition of phosphorylation has a regulatory function in exocytosis. ..
- Munch C, Zhu B, Mink A, Seefried U, Riepe M, Ludolph A, et al. Chemical hypoxia facilitates alternative splicing of EAAT2 in presymptomatic APP23 transgenic mice. Neurochem Res. 2008;33:1005-10 pubmed..Our results demonstrate that hypoxia facilitates alternative splicing of EAAT2 in the APP23 model. This may be a molecular mechanism linking vascular factors to early pathophysiology of Alzheimer's disease. ..
- Luo Y, Blex C, Baessler O, Glinski M, Dreger M, Sefkow M, et al. The cAMP capture compound mass spectrometry as a novel tool for targeting cAMP-binding proteins: from protein kinase A to potassium/sodium hyperpolarization-activated cyclic nucleotide-gated channels. Mol Cell Proteomics. 2009;8:2843-56 pubmed publisher..Given the modest amount of protein input required, we expect that CCMS using the cAMP-CCs provides a unique tool for profiling cAMP-binding proteins from proteome samples of limited abundance, such as tissue biopsies. ..
- Leinhase I, Schmidt O, Thurman J, Hossini A, Rozanski M, Taha M, et al. Pharmacological complement inhibition at the C3 convertase level promotes neuronal survival, neuroprotective intracerebral gene expression, and neurological outcome after traumatic brain injury. Exp Neurol. 2006;199:454-64 pubmed..These data suggest that pharmacological complement inhibition represents a promising approach for attenuation of neuroinflammation and secondary neurodegeneration after head injury. ..
- Leinhase I, Holers V, Thurman J, Harhausen D, Schmidt O, Pietzcker M, et al. Reduced neuronal cell death after experimental brain injury in mice lacking a functional alternative pathway of complement activation. BMC Neurosci. 2006;7:55 pubmed..Pharmacological targeting of the alternative complement pathway during the "time-window of opportunity" after TBI may represent a promising new strategy to be pursued in future studies. ..
- Kuehn B, Mularski S, Schoenherr S, Hammersen S, Stendel R, Kombos T, et al. Sensor-based neuronavigation: evaluation of a large continuous patient population. Clin Neurol Neurosurg. 2008;110:1012-9 pubmed publisher..However, the neurosurgeon must remain critical in cases of small lesions, and must exert caution not to introduce further interference from metal objects or electromagnetic devices. ..
- Hering L, Herse F, Geusens N, Verlohren S, Wenzel K, Staff A, et al. Effects of circulating and local uteroplacental angiotensin II in rat pregnancy. Hypertension. 2010;56:311-8 pubmed publisher..Conceivably, upregulation of tissue Ang II in the maternal part of the placenta represents an important growth factor for trophoblast invasion and migration...
- Braun D, Wirth E, Schweizer U. Thyroid hormone transporters in the brain. Rev Neurosci. 2010;21:173-86 pubmed..Hence, the many roles played by thyroid hormones in the development, function, and regeneration of the nervous system are dependent on the spatiotemporal expression of several transmembrane transport proteins...
- Gültner S, Kuhlmann T, Hesse A, Weber J, Riemer C, Baier M, et al. Reduced Treg frequency in LFA-1-deficient mice allows enhanced T effector differentiation and pathology in EAE. Eur J Immunol. 2010;40:3403-12 pubmed publisher..In combination, these results suggest a substantial role of LFA-1 in Treg generation and subsequent expansion of effector T cells and highlight the importance of Treg in limiting EAE. ..
- Wang C, Borchert A, Ugun Klusek A, Tang L, Lui W, Chu C, et al. Monoamine oxidase a expression is vital for embryonic brain development by modulating developmental apoptosis. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:28322-30 pubmed publisher..Moreover, we observed reduced cyclin D1 levels as an indicator of impaired cell proliferation in MAO-A knockdown embryos. This data highlights MAO-A as a vital regulator of embryonic brain development. ..
- Gertz K, Kronenberg G, Kälin R, Baldinger T, Werner C, Balkaya M, et al. Essential role of interleukin-6 in post-stroke angiogenesis. Brain. 2012;135:1964-80 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, interleukin-6 produced locally by resident brain cells promotes post-stroke angiogenesis and thereby affords long-term histological and functional protection. ..
- Vinnakota K, Hu F, Ku M, Georgieva P, Szulzewsky F, Pohlmann A, et al. Toll-like receptor 2 mediates microglia/brain macrophage MT1-MMP expression and glioma expansion. Neuro Oncol. 2013;15:1457-68 pubmed publisher..Our results thus show that activation of TLR2 along with TLRs 1 and/or 6 converts microglia into a glioma supportive phenotype. ..
- Kotelnikova E, Kiani N, Abad E, Martínez Lapiscina E, Andorra M, Zubizarreta I, et al. Dynamics and heterogeneity of brain damage in multiple sclerosis. PLoS Comput Biol. 2017;13:e1005757 pubmed publisher..These results have important implications for the design of therapeutic interventions for MS at different stages of the disease...
- Scharpf M, Schweizer U, Arzberger T, Roggendorf W, Schomburg L, Kohrle J. Neuronal and ependymal expression of selenoprotein P in the human brain. J Neural Transm (Vienna). 2007;114:877-84 pubmed..Moreover, SePP-like immunoreactivity localizes to neurons and ependymal cells and thus appears strategically situated for maintenance and control of Se-dependent anti-oxidative defense systems. ..
- Schweizer U, Weitzel J, Schomburg L. Think globally: act locally. New insights into the local regulation of thyroid hormone availability challenge long accepted dogmas. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2008;289:1-9 pubmed publisher..Finally, a link between Dio expression and energy metabolism has been delineated in mice that may hold great promise for the management of the adiposity pandemic...
- Olias P, Hammer M, Klopfleisch R. Cerebral phaeohyphomycosis in a green iguana (Iguana iguana). J Comp Pathol. 2010;143:61-4 pubmed publisher..In the absence of fresh tissue, the diagnosis in such cases may be assisted by molecular analysis of fixed tissue specimens...
- Klatt S, Rohe M, Alagesan K, Kolarich D, Konthur Z, Hartl D. Production of glycosylated soluble amyloid precursor protein alpha (sAPPalpha) in Leishmania tarentolae. J Proteome Res. 2013;12:396-403 pubmed publisher..This demonstrates that L. tarentolae is a very suitable and simple to handle expression system for mammalian glycoproteins...
- Willnow T, Andersen O. Sorting receptor SORLA--a trafficking path to avoid Alzheimer disease. J Cell Sci. 2013;126:2751-60 pubmed publisher..As discussed here, these findings uncovered a unique regulatory pathway for the control of neuronal protein transport, and provide clues as to why defects in this pathway cause neurodegenerative disease. ..
- Pulvermüller F. How neurons make meaning: brain mechanisms for embodied and abstract-symbolic semantics. Trends Cogn Sci. 2013;17:458-70 pubmed publisher..Referential, combinatorial, emotional-affective, and abstract semantics are complementary mechanisms, each necessary for processing meaning in mind and brain. ..
- Ponseti J, Granert O, van Eimeren T, Jansen O, Wolff S, Beier K, et al. Assessing paedophilia based on the haemodynamic brain response to face images. World J Biol Psychiatry. 2016;17:39-46 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that the functional response to facial stimuli can be reliably used for fMRI-based classification of paedophilia, bypassing the problem of showing child sexual stimuli to paedophiles. ..
- Schulte Herbrüggen O, Hörtnagl H, Ponath G, Rothermundt M, Hellweg R. Distinct regulation of brain-derived neurotrophic factor and noradrenaline in S100B knockout mice. Neurosci Lett. 2008;442:100-3 pubmed publisher..As referred to changes in NA levels functional studies are warranted to elucidate the link between S100B protein and the noradrenergic metabolism. ..
- Thone Reineke C, Neumann C, Namsolleck P, Schmerbach K, Krikov M, Schefe J, et al. The beta-lactam antibiotic, ceftriaxone, dramatically improves survival, increases glutamate uptake and induces neurotrophins in stroke. J Hypertens. 2008;26:2426-35 pubmed publisher..Improved neurological performance and survival may be due to neuroprotection by activation of GLT1 and a stimulation of neurotrophins resulting in an increased number of surviving neurons in the penumbra. ..
- Brink T, Demetrius L, Lehrach H, Adjaye J. Age-related transcriptional changes in gene expression in different organs of mice support the metabolic stability theory of aging. Biogerontology. 2009;10:549-64 pubmed publisher..This study, in addition, rejects the free radical hypothesis which postulates that the production rate of ROS, and not its stability, determines life span. ..
- Graw J, von Haefen C, Poyraz D, Möbius N, Sifringer M, Spies C. Chronic alcohol consumption increases the expression of uncoupling protein-2 and -4 in the brain. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2013;37:1650-6 pubmed publisher..This study reveals a compensatory effect of UCP-2 and -4 in the brain during chronic alcohol consumption. ..
- Grimm O, Heinz A, Walter H, Kirsch P, Erk S, Haddad L, et al. Striatal response to reward anticipation: evidence for a systems-level intermediate phenotype for schizophrenia. JAMA Psychiatry. 2014;71:531-9 pubmed publisher..These data encourage us to further investigate the genetic and molecular contributions to this phenotype. ..
- Willems R, Jacobs A. Caring About Dostoyevsky: The Untapped Potential of Studying Literature. Trends Cogn Sci. 2016;20:243-245 pubmed publisher..With advances in analysis techniques, it is time that cognitive scientists and neuroscientists embrace literature and fiction. ..
- Eisenhardt D, Fiala A, Braun P, Rosenboom H, Kress H, Ebert P, et al. Cloning of a catalytic subunit of cAMP-dependent protein kinase from the honeybee (Apis mellifera) and its localization in the brain. Insect Mol Biol. 2001;10:173-81 pubmed..However, expression can also be found in the antennal and optic lobes. The level of expression varies within all three neuropiles. ..
- Dorr J, Bechmann I, Waiczies S, Aktas O, Walczak H, Krammer P, et al. Lack of tumor necrosis factor-related apoptosis-inducing ligand but presence of its receptors in the human brain. J Neurosci. 2002;22:RC209 pubmed..Conversely, this death receptor-ligand system might well play an important role in T cell-mediated autoimmune diseases of the CNS such as multiple sclerosis. ..
- Grohmann L, Blenau W, Erber J, Ebert P, Str nker T, Baumann A. Molecular and functional characterization of an octopamine receptor from honeybee (Apis mellifera) brain. J Neurochem. 2003;86:725-35 pubmed..The gene is abundantly expressed in many somata of the honeybee brain, suggesting that this octopamine receptor is involved in the processing of sensory inputs, antennal motor outputs and higher-order brain functions...
- Kilian W, Seifert F, Rinneberg H. Dynamic NMR spectroscopy of hyperpolarized (129)Xe in human brain analyzed by an uptake model. Magn Reson Med. 2004;51:843-7 pubmed..5 +/- 1 ppm and 193 +/- 1 ppm originate from HpXe dissolved in gray and white matter, respectively, and that T(1) relaxation times of HpXe are different in gray and white matter (T(1g) > T(1w))...
- Müssig L, Richlitzki A, Rössler R, Eisenhardt D, Menzel R, Leboulle G. Acute disruption of the NMDA receptor subunit NR1 in the honeybee brain selectively impairs memory formation. J Neurosci. 2010;30:7817-25 pubmed publisher..This indicates that late long-term memory formation differs in its dependence on NMDA receptor activity from earlier memory phases. ..
- Floel A, Meinzer M, Kirstein R, Nijhof S, Deppe M, Knecht S, et al. Short-term anomia training and electrical brain stimulation. Stroke. 2011;42:2065-7 pubmed publisher..Language training success in chronic aphasia remains only moderate. Electric brain stimulation may be a viable way to enhance treatment efficacy...
- Schipke C, Peters O, Heuser I, Grimmer T, Sabbagh M, Sabri O, et al. Impact of beta-amyloid-specific florbetaben PET imaging on confidence in early diagnosis of Alzheimer's disease. Dement Geriatr Cogn Disord. 2012;33:416-22 pubmed publisher..Florbetaben amyloid imaging increases the overall confidence in diagnosis of AD and may frequently influence clinical decisions and patient management. ..
- Rappert A, Biber K, Nolte C, Lipp M, Schubel A, Lu B, et al. Secondary lymphoid tissue chemokine (CCL21) activates CXCR3 to trigger a Cl- current and chemotaxis in murine microglia. J Immunol. 2002;168:3221-6 pubmed
- Endres M, Ahmadi M, Kruman I, Biniszkiewicz D, Meisel A, Gertz K. Folate deficiency increases postischemic brain injury. Stroke. 2005;36:321-5 pubmed..Folate deficiency and resultant hyperhomocysteinemia are not only associated with increased stroke risk but increase oxidative DNA damage and ischemic lesion size after MCA occlusion/reperfusion. ..