Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on humans in Munich, Bavaria, Germany
Locale: Munich, Bavaria, Germany
Publications734 found, 100 shown here
- Wolf A, Abdallat W, Kollias A, Frohlich S, Grueterich M, Lackerbauer C. Mild topographic abnormalities that become more suspicious on Scheimpflug imaging. Eur J Ophthalmol. 2009;19:10-7 pubmed..One possibility for this might be the fact that screening methods may fail in detection of preoperative risk factors such as forme fruste keratoconus (FFKC)...
- Lutterbuese R, Raum T, Kischel R, Lutterbuese P, Schlereth B, Schaller E, et al. Potent control of tumor growth by CEA/CD3-bispecific single-chain antibody constructs that are not competitively inhibited by soluble CEA. J Immunother. 2009;32:341-52 pubmed publisher..Together, our results reveal a unique opportunity for targeting cytotoxic T cells toward CEA-expressing tumors without being competitively inhibited by sCEA and establish CEA/CD3-bscAb as a promising and potent therapeutic approach. ..
- Tzeis S, Luik A, Jilek C, Schmitt C, Estner H, Wu J, et al. The modified anterior line: an alternative linear lesion in perimitral flutter. J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol. 2010;21:665-70 pubmed publisher..The MAL is a safe and effective linear lesion for the treatment of perimitral LAF. Its value compared to more established linear lesions as the mitral isthmus line has to be evaluated in larger studies. ..
- Liebhardt S, Ditsch N, Nieuwland R, Rank A, Jeschke U, von Koch F, et al. CEA-, Her2/neu-, BCRP- and Hsp27-positive microparticles in breast cancer patients. Anticancer Res. 2010;30:1707-12 pubmed..This is the first prospective case-control study that evaluates the expression of tumour-specific antigens on circulating microparticles (MP) in breast cancer patients and in women with benign breast tumour...
- Glaser C, Demmelmair H, Koletzko B. High-throughput analysis of total plasma fatty acid composition with direct in situ transesterification. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e12045 pubmed publisher..Sample preparation time and analysis costs are reduced to a minimum. This method is an economically and ecologically superior alternative to conventional methods for assessing plasma FA status in large studies. ..
- Andres C, Puchta U, Flaig M. Detection of Merkel cell polyomavirus DNA in atypical fibroxanthoma in correlation to clinical features. Am J Dermatopathol. 2010;32:799-803 pubmed publisher..Clinical features seem to be independent of MCPyV DNA status. Although the role of MCPyV is unclear in this setting, it may act as a cofactor in the tumorigenesis of AFX in a subset of cases. ..
- Ilie N, Simon A. Effect of curing mode on the micro-mechanical properties of dual-cured self-adhesive resin cements. Clin Oral Investig. 2012;16:505-12 pubmed publisher..The selection of suitable resin cements should be done by considering, besides its adhesive properties, its micro-mechanical properties and curing behaviour also. ..
- Imhoff A, Paul J, Ottinger B, Wörtler K, Lämmle L, Spang J, et al. Osteochondral transplantation of the talus: long-term clinical and magnetic resonance imaging evaluation. Am J Sports Med. 2011;39:1487-93 pubmed publisher..The Osteochondral Autograft Transfer System (OATS) is the only 1-step surgical technique designed to replace the entire osteochondral unit...
- Dormann D, Haass C. TDP-43 and FUS: a nuclear affair. Trends Neurosci. 2011;34:339-48 pubmed publisher..We propose that nuclear import defects in combination with additional hits, for example cellular stress and genetic risk factors, may be a central underlying cause of ALS and FTLD-U pathology. ..
- Hiamtoe P, Steinhardt F, Köhler U, Bengler K. Subjective and objective evaluation of sense of space for vehicle occupants based on anthropometric data. Work. 2012;41 Suppl 1:252-7 pubmed publisher..The use of Computer Aided Technology was shown by CATIA V5, PCMAN and RAMSIS. The results show a good correlation between the subjective evaluation and the geometric values. ..
- Heiden B, Weigl M, Angerer P, Muller A. Association of age and physical job demands with musculoskeletal disorders in nurses. Appl Ergon. 2013;44:652-8 pubmed publisher..Furthermore high levels of physical job demands increased the risk of MSD significantly (OR = 5.7, 1.55-20.96) in all age-groups. The study provides further indication for development of age-adapted preventive measures. ..
- Civril F, Deimling T, de Oliveira Mann C, Ablasser A, Moldt M, Witte G, et al. Structural mechanism of cytosolic DNA sensing by cGAS. Nature. 2013;498:332-7 pubmed publisher..Our results mechanistically unify dsRNA and dsDNA innate immune sensing by OAS1 and cGAS nucleotidyl transferases...
- Zhao Y, Zhao L, Ischenko I, Bao Q, Schwarz B, NieÃŸ H, et al. Antisense inhibition of microRNA-21 and microRNA-221 in tumor-initiating stem-like cells modulates tumorigenesis, metastasis, and chemotherapy resistance in pancreatic cancer. Target Oncol. 2015;10:535-48 pubmed publisher..These findings further indicate that the inhibition of miR-21 and miR-221 appear particularly suitable to target stem-like subpopulations and address their specific biological function to promote tumor progression in pancreatic cancer. ..
- Lindenmeyer M, Kretzler M, Boucherot A, Berra S, Yasuda Y, Henger A, et al. Interstitial vascular rarefaction and reduced VEGF-A expression in human diabetic nephropathy. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2007;18:1765-76 pubmed..These findings and the questions about rodent models in DN raise a note of caution regarding the proposal to inhibit VEGF-A to prevent progression of DN. ..
- Scheiermann P, Beiras Fernandez A, Mutlak H, Weis F. The protective effects of levosimendan on ischemia/reperfusion injury and apoptosis. Recent Pat Cardiovasc Drug Discov. 2011;6:20-6 pubmed..However, the link between these two phenomena has not been well established. This review summarizes experimental studies and clinical trials on the effects of levosimendan in I/R injury and apoptosis also discussing recent patents. ..
- Katouzian A, Karamalis A, Sheet D, Konofagou E, Baseri B, Carlier S, et al. Iterative self-organizing atherosclerotic tissue labeling in intravascular ultrasound images and comparison with virtual histology. IEEE Trans Biomed Eng. 2012;59:3039-49 pubmed publisher..We conclude that proposed framework is a formidable approach for retrieving imperative information regarding tissues and building a reliable training dataset for supervised classification and its extension for in vivo applications. ..
- Freudenberg F, Gothe F, Beigel F, Rust C, Koletzko S. Serum 7-alpha-hydroxy-4-cholesten-3-one as a marker for bile acid loss in children. J Pediatr. 2013;163:1367-71.e1 pubmed publisher..The consistently elevated C4 concentrations in our patients with SBS confirm the reliability of this noninvasive, nonisotopic method to assess bile acid malabsorption in children. ..
- Calzada Wack J, Kappler R, Schnitzbauer U, Richter T, Nathrath M, Rosemann M, et al. Unbalanced overexpression of the mutant allele in murine Patched mutants. Carcinogenesis. 2002;23:727-33 pubmed..Our results suggest that the wild-type Ptch allele might be selectively silenced in RMS tissue or, alternatively, that haploinsufficiency of Ptch is sufficient to promote RMS formation in mice. ..
- Methe H, Kim J, Kofler S, Weis M, Nabauer M, Koglin J. Expansion of circulating Toll-like receptor 4-positive monocytes in patients with acute coronary syndrome. Circulation. 2005;111:2654-61 pubmed..These observations suggest hTLR4 activation as a signaling mechanism in immune-mediated progression of atherosclerosis. ..
- Bacher U, Reiter A, Haferlach T, Mueller L, Schnittger S, Kern W, et al. A combination of cytomorphology, cytogenetic analysis, fluorescence in situ hybridization and reverse transcriptase polymerase chain reaction for establishing clonality in cases of persisting hypereosinophilia. Haematologica. 2006;91:817-20 pubmed..A FIP1L1-PDGFRA fusion gene was identified in four male patients by interphase FISH and RT-PCR. These methods in combination demonstrated clonality in 8/40 patients (20%) with a male predominance (6/8; 75%). ..
- Weissenbacher T, Zschage M, Janni W, Jeschke U, Dimpfl T, Mayr D, et al. Multicentric and multifocal versus unifocal breast cancer: is the tumor-node-metastasis classification justified?. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2010;122:27-34 pubmed publisher..We conclude that multicentric/multifocal BC is an independent BC risk factor and should be included in the risk assessment by re-evaluating the current TNM classification of the UICC. ..
- Ndrepepa G, Braun S, Schulz S, Mehilli J, Schomig A, Kastrati A. High-sensitivity troponin T level and angiographic severity of coronary artery disease. Am J Cardiol. 2011;108:639-43 pubmed publisher..The association between increased levels of hs-TnT and presence of CAD was independent of traditional cardiovascular risk factors, NT-pro-BNP, and CRP. ..
- Silaghi C, Skuballa J, Thiel C, Pfister K, Petney T, Pfäffle M, et al. The European hedgehog (Erinaceus europaeus)--a suitable reservoir for variants of Anaplasma phagocytophilum?. Ticks Tick Borne Dis. 2012;3:49-54 pubmed publisher..phagocytophilum and the simultaneous infestation with 2 tick species of all developmental stages suggest that the hedgehog may be a suitable reservoir for at least some variants of A. phagocytophilum...
- Czerwensky F, Leucht S, Steimer W. Association of the common MC4R rs17782313 polymorphism with antipsychotic-related weight gain. J Clin Psychopharmacol. 2013;33:74-9 pubmed publisher..Nevertheless, further studies are needed to elucidate the role and mechanism of this polymorphism...
- Heublein S, Grasse K, Hessel H, Burges A, Lenhard M, Engel J, et al. KRAS, BRAF genotyping reveals genetic heterogeneity of ovarian borderline tumors and associated implants. BMC Cancer. 2013;13:483 pubmed publisher..Hence, our findings may assist to explain the different clinical presentation of s-BOTs and implants and might encourage to applying more individualized follow up protocols. ..
- Baiocchi G, D Ugo D, Coit D, Hardwick R, Kassab P, Nashimoto A, et al. Follow-up after gastrectomy for cancer: the Charter Scaligero Consensus Conference. Gastric Cancer. 2016;19:15-20 pubmed publisher..After gastrectomy for cancer, oncological follow-up should be offered to patients; it should be tailored to the stage of the disease, mainly based on cross-sectional imaging, and should be discontinued after 5 years. ..
- Quirós M, Nishio H, Neumann P, Siuda D, Brazil J, Azcutia V, et al. Macrophage-derived IL-10 mediates mucosal repair by epithelial WISP-1 signaling. J Clin Invest. 2017;127:3510-3520 pubmed publisher..These findings define the involvement of macrophages in regulating an IL-10/CREB/WISP-1 signaling axis, with broad implications in linking innate immune activation to mucosal wound repair. ..
- Sing A, Hogardt M, Bierschenk S, Heesemann J. Detection of differences in the nucleotide and amino acid sequences of diphtheria toxin from Corynebacterium diphtheriae and Corynebacterium ulcerans causing extrapharyngeal infections. J Clin Microbiol. 2003;41:4848-51 pubmed..diphtheriae DT sequences, mainly in the translocation and receptor-binding domains. C. ulcerans supernatants were much less potent than supernatant from C. diphtheriae. A C. ulcerans DT-specific PCR is described below...
- Zimmerman U, Spring K, Koller G, Holsboer F, Soyka M. Hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal system regulation in recently detoxified alcoholics is not altered by one week of treatment with acamprosate. Pharmacopsychiatry. 2004;37:98-102 pubmed..Acamprosate treatment had no effect on basal or CRH-stimulated ACTH or cortisol secretion. We conclude that 1 week of acamprosate treatment does not attenuate the HPA dysregulation ob-served during early abstinence. ..
- Edbauer D, Kaether C, Steiner H, Haass C. Co-expression of nicastrin and presenilin rescues a loss of function mutant of APH-1. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:37311-5 pubmed..We conclude that cooperative effects may stabilize a trim-eric complex of APH-1a G122D together with PS1 and NCT. Upon successful complex assembly, the GXXXG motif becomes dispensable for gamma-secretase activity. ..
- Schmidt H, Kammer B, Grasser M, Enders A, Rost I, Kiess W. Endochondral gigantism: a newly recognized skeletal dysplasia with pre- and postnatal overgrowth and endocrine abnormalities. Am J Med Genet A. 2007;143A:1868-75 pubmed..Alternately, activating mutations in transcription factors involved in both growth and endocrine/metabolic homeostasis could be responsible for this unusual phenotype...
- Ditsch N, Toth B, Mayr D, Lenhard M, Gallwas J, Weissenbacher T, et al. The association between vitamin D receptor expression and prolonged overall survival in breast cancer. J Histochem Cytochem. 2012;60:121-9 pubmed publisher..The present data suggest that VDR expression in breast cancer tissue may be of clinical significance, and the results provide evidence that VDR may be a factor with prognostic relevance. ..
- Ringel F, Reinke A, Stuer C, Meyer B, Stoffel M. Posterior C1-2 fusion with C1 lateral mass and C2 isthmic screws: accuracy of screw position, alignment and patient outcome. Acta Neurochir (Wien). 2012;154:305-12 pubmed publisher..Therefore, C1 lateral mass and C2 isthmic screws are an alternative. The present study assessed the feasibility of C1-2 stabilization with C1 lateral mass and C2 isthmic screws and evaluated quality of life...
- Meining A, Shah R, Slivka A, Pleskow D, Chuttani R, Stevens P, et al. Classification of probe-based confocal laser endomicroscopy findings in pancreaticobiliary strictures. Endoscopy. 2012;44:251-7 pubmed publisher..The Miami Classification enables a structured, uniform, and reproducible description of pancreaticobiliary pCLE. Combining individual characteristics improves the sensitivity for the detection of malignancy. ..
- Eyerich K, Novak N. Immunology of atopic eczema: overcoming the Th1/Th2 paradigm. Allergy. 2013;68:974-82 pubmed publisher..This review pieces together our current understanding of immune as well as barrier abnormalities into the pathogenesis mosaic of AE. ..
- Hantel C, Beuschlein F. Xenograft models for adrenocortical carcinoma. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2016;421:28-33 pubmed publisher..Here we provide an overview on currently existing xenograft models for ACC, their tissue origins, establishment, implications as well as limitations. ..
- Schremser K, Rogowski W, Adler Reichel S, Tufman A, Huber R, Stollenwerk B. Cost-Effectiveness of an Individualized First-Line Treatment Strategy Offering Erlotinib Based on EGFR Mutation Testing in Advanced Lung Adenocarcinoma Patients in Germany. Pharmacoeconomics. 2015;33:1215-28 pubmed publisher..Further clinical research is needed to confirm these results. ..
- Lamm P, Juchem G, Reichart B, Kilian E. Insertion of the intraaortic balloon pump via the ascending aorta or the aortic arch using the HEARTSTRING Proximal Seal System. Heart Surg Forum. 2015;18:E116-7 pubmed publisher..In our department, this technique is applied whenever insertion of the IABP is not feasible via the femoral arteries.Â The technique allows the safe insertion of the IABP via the ascending aorta or the aortic arch. ..
- Sundmacher L, Fischbach D, Schuettig W, Naumann C, Augustin U, Faisst C. Which hospitalisations are ambulatory care-sensitive, to what degree, and how could the rates be reduced? Results of a group consensus study in Germany. Health Policy. 2015;119:1415-23 pubmed publisher..ACSH rates can however provide a more complete picture by adding useful information related to the overall patient outcome. The results of our analysis should be used to encourage debate and as a basis for further confirmatory work. ..
- Jawhar M, Naumann N, Schwaab J, Baurmann H, Casper J, Dang T, et al. Imatinib in myeloid/lymphoid neoplasms with eosinophilia and rearrangement of PDGFRB in chronic or blast phase. Ann Hematol. 2017;96:1463-1470 pubmed publisher..Of note, 3/4 patients had a complex karyotype. In summary, the most important characteristics of myeloid/lymphoid neoplasms with rearrangement of PDGFRB include (a) male predominance, (b) frequent lack of hypereosinophilia, ..
- Eiber M, Fendler W, Rowe S, Calais J, Hofman M, Maurer T, et al. Prostate-Specific Membrane Antigen Ligands for Imaging and Therapy. J Nucl Med. 2017;58:67S-76S pubmed publisher..This review is intended to provide a comprehensive overview of the current literature on low-molecular-weight PSMA ligands for both PET imaging and therapeutic approaches, with a focus on agents that have been clinically adopted. ..
- Dippel B, Kemper J, Berger M. Folie à six: a case report on induced psychotic disorder. Acta Psychiatr Scand. 1991;83:137-41 pubmed..In contrast to reports in the literature, there was no family history of such disorders and there were no adverse social or environmental circumstances. ..
- Muehlstaedt M, Bruening R, Diebold J, Mueller A, Helmberger T, Reiser M. CT/fluoroscopy-guided transthoracic needle biopsy: sensitivity and complication rate in 98 procedures. J Comput Assist Tomogr. 2002;26:191-6 pubmed..A pneumothorax occurred in 21%, a pneumothorax requiring drainage in 2.0%. CT/F-guided CNB is a reliable method to obtain thoracic biopsies, with a complication rate of 2.0%. ..
- Schmitt C, Ndrepepa G, Weber S, Schmieder S, Weyerbrock S, Schneider M, et al. Biatrial multisite mapping of atrial premature complexes triggering onset of atrial fibrillation. Am J Cardiol. 2002;89:1381-7 pubmed..These data challenge the current opinion that extrapulmonary foci play a minor role in inducing AF. ..
- Schmid H, Cohen C, Henger A, Irrgang S, Schlondorff D, Kretzler M. Validation of endogenous controls for gene expression analysis in microdissected human renal biopsies. Kidney Int. 2003;64:356-60 pubmed..Relating the gene expression to several housekeepers in parallel (i.e., 18S rRNA and cyclophilin A) should result in robust expression data. ..
- Schmid H, Henger A, Cohen C, Frach K, Grone H, Schlondorff D, et al. Gene expression profiles of podocyte-associated molecules as diagnostic markers in acquired proteinuric diseases. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2003;14:2958-66 pubmed..As the above approach can be performed as an add-on diagnostic tool, these molecular diagnostic parameters could give novel information for the management of proteinuric diseases. ..
- Schuetz A, Schulze C, Wildhirt S. Off-pump epicardial tissue sealing--a novel method for atrioventricular disruption complicating mitral valve procedures. Ann Thorac Surg. 2004;78:569-73; discussion 573-4 pubmed..Because of this tremendous improvement in patient survival we now consider this technique as standard therapy for AV disruption in our center. ..
- Kalies H, Verstraeten T, Grote V, Meyer N, Siedler A, Schmitt H, et al. Four and one-half-year follow-up of the effectiveness of diphtheria-tetanus toxoids-acellular pertussis/Haemophilus influenzae type b and diphtheria-tetanus toxoids-acellular pertussis-inactivated poliovirus/H. influenzae type b combination vaccines . Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2004;23:944-50 pubmed..A study in Germany based on approximately 2 years of follow-up, estimated vaccine effectiveness (VE) of DTaP/Hib and DTaP-inactivated poliovirus/Hib combination vaccines against invasive Hib disease to be high...
- Schnell O, Mertes G, Standl E. Acarbose and metabolic control in patients with type 2 diabetes with newly initiated insulin therapy. Diabetes Obes Metab. 2007;9:853-8 pubmed..As adjunct administration to newly initiated insulin therapy, acarbose enhances the optimization of blood glucose control in patients with type 2 diabetes. ..
- Herzinger T, Kleuser B, Schäfer Korting M, Korting H. Sphingosine-1-phosphate signaling and the skin. Am J Clin Dermatol. 2007;8:329-36 pubmed..Topical use of S1P and other sphingosine compounds is also under investigation, particularly for the treatment of acne vulgaris. ..
- Sarafoff N, Ndrepepa G, Mehilli J, Dörrler K, Schulz S, Iijima R, et al. Aspirin and clopidogrel with or without phenprocoumon after drug eluting coronary stent placement in patients on chronic oral anticoagulation. J Intern Med. 2008;264:472-80 pubmed publisher..Based on these criteria, both a double antiplatelet therapy (clopidogrel plus aspirin) and a triple therapy (OAC plus clopidogrel plus aspirin) are associated with favourable safety and efficacy. ..
- Petrides P, Gisslinger H, Steurer M, Linkesch W, Krumpl G, Schüller A, et al. Pharmacokinetics, bioequivalence, tolerability, and effects on platelet counts of two formulations of anagrelide in healthy volunteers and patients with thrombocythemia associated with chronic myeloproliferation. Clin Ther. 2009;31:386-98 pubmed publisher..In patients with ET or thrombocythemia associated with CMPD, platelet counts did not differ significantly from baseline at 4 weeks when subjects were switched from the reference to the test anagrelide formulation. ..
- Eckel F, Herrmann K, Schmidt S, Hillerer C, Wieder H, Krause B, et al. Imaging of proliferation in hepatocellular carcinoma with the in vivo marker 18F-fluorothymidine. J Nucl Med. 2009;50:1441-7 pubmed publisher..High initial (18)F-FLT uptake seems to be associated with reduced overall survival and could be an important prognostic factor if this tendency can be confirmed in a larger prospective trial. ..
- Schrötzlmair F, Kopitz C, Halbgewachs B, Lu F, Algül H, Brunner N, et al. Tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinases-1-induced scattered liver metastasis is mediated by host-derived urokinase-type plasminogen activator. J Cell Mol Med. 2010;14:2760-70 pubmed publisher..This newly identified co-operation between TIMP-1 and host uPA suggests that therapies, simultaneously interfering with pro- and anti-proteolytic pathways may be beneficial for patients with metastatic disease. ..
- Dresler M, Genzel L, Kluge M, Schussler P, Weber F, Rosenhagen M, et al. Off-line memory consolidation impairments in multiple sclerosis patients receiving high-dose corticosteroid treatment mirror consolidation impairments in depression. Psychoneuroendocrinology. 2010;35:1194-202 pubmed publisher..We propose therefore that depression-related changes in plasma corticosteroid levels rather than in sleep per se underlie off-line memory consolidation impairments in MD. ..
- Hong X, Michalski C, Kong B, Zhang W, Raggi M, Sauliunaite D, et al. ALCAM is associated with chemoresistance and tumor cell adhesion in pancreatic cancer. J Surg Oncol. 2010;101:564-9 pubmed publisher..In neuroendocrine tumor cell lines, silencing of ALCAM decreased cell growth. We propose ALCAM as a novel serum biomarker in human pancreatic tumors which is associated with cell adhesion, growth and chemoresistance. ..
- Grossmann V, Kern W, Harbich S, Alpermann T, Jeromin S, Schnittger S, et al. Prognostic relevance of RUNX1 mutations in T-cell acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Haematologica. 2011;96:1874-7 pubmed publisher..043). In conclusion, RUNX1 mutations are an important novel biomarker for a comprehensive characterization of T-cell acute lymphoblastic leukemia with poor prognostic impact and have implications for use also in monitoring disease. ..
- Klengel T, Heck A, Pfister H, Brückl T, Hennings J, Menke A, et al. Somatization in major depression--clinical features and genetic associations. Acta Psychiatr Scand. 2011;124:317-28 pubmed publisher..These results confirm and expand previous findings on somatization as a risk factor for treatment outcome in major depression. ..
- Elstner M, Turnbull D. Transcriptome analysis in mitochondrial disorders. Brain Res Bull. 2012;88:285-93 pubmed publisher..In this review, results of gene expression studies performed on human and animal tissue as well as cell culture models with mitochondrial dysfunction are summarized and discussed. ..
- Nentwich M, Rajab M, Ta C, He L, Grueterich M, Haritoglou C, et al. Application of 10% povidone iodine reduces conjunctival bacterial contamination rate in patients undergoing cataract surgery. Eur J Ophthalmol. 2012;22:541-6 pubmed publisher..To determine the efficacy of 10% povidone iodine (PVI) drops given before cataract extraction in addition to routine irrigation of the conjunctival sac with 1% PVI...
- Heinrich N, Saathoff E, Weller N, Clowes P, Kroidl I, Ntinginya E, et al. High seroprevalence of Rift Valley FEVER AND EVIDENCE FOR ENDEMIC circulation in Mbeya region, Tanzania, in a cross-sectional study. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2012;6:e1557 pubmed publisher..Human infections are associated with these events, with a fatality rate of 0.5-2%. Since the virus is able to use many mosquito species of temperate climates as vectors, it has a high potential to spread to outside Africa...
- van Rijt S, Keller I, John G, Kohse K, Yildirim A, Eickelberg O, et al. Acute cigarette smoke exposure impairs proteasome function in the lung. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2012;303:L814-23 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that defective proteasomal protein quality control may exacerbate the detrimental effects of cigarette smoke in the lung. ..
- Chen T, Fallah M, Brenner H, Jansen L, Mai E, Castro F, et al. Risk of Second Primary Cancers in Multiple Myeloma Survivors in German and Swedish Cancer Registries. Sci Rep. 2016;6:22084 pubmed publisher..2 (0.3-7.8) for 2004-2010 in Sweden. We found elevated risk for AML for overall, early diagnosis periods and longer follow-up times in both populations, suggesting possible side effects of treatment for MM patients. ..
- Dong J, Ndrepepa G, Schmitt C, Mehilli J, Schmieder S, Schwaiger M, et al. Early resolution of ST-segment elevation correlates with myocardial salvage assessed by Tc-99m sestamibi scintigraphy in patients with acute myocardial infarction after mechanical or thrombolytic reperfusion therapy. Circulation. 2002;105:2946-9 pubmed..These data provide an explanation for the favorable prognostic value of the ST-segment resolution and support the use of this parameter to compare the efficacy of different reperfusion strategies. ..
- Rangatia J, Vangala R, Treiber N, Zhang P, Radomska H, Tenen D, et al. Downregulation of c-Jun expression by transcription factor C/EBPalpha is critical for granulocytic lineage commitment. Mol Cell Biol. 2002;22:8681-94 pubmed..Thus, we propose a model in which C/EBPalpha needs to downregulate c-Jun expression and transactivation capacity for promoting granulocytic differentiation. ..
- Bender A, Schulte Altedorneburg G, Walther E, Pfister H. Severe tick borne encephalitis with simultaneous brain stem, bithalamic, and spinal cord involvement documented by MRI. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2005;76:135-7 pubmed..They should therefore be identified early in order to be prepared for life threatening respiratory complications...
- Bolzer A, Kreth G, Solovei I, Koehler D, Saracoglu K, Fauth C, et al. Three-dimensional maps of all chromosomes in human male fibroblast nuclei and prometaphase rosettes. PLoS Biol. 2005;3:e157 pubmed..Chromatin domains, which are gene-poor, form a layer beneath the nuclear envelope, while gene-dense chromatin is enriched in the nuclear interior. We discuss the possible functional implications of this finding. ..
- Zwanzger P, Rupprecht R. Selective GABAergic treatment for panic? Investigations in experimental panic induction and panic disorder. J Psychiatry Neurosci. 2005;30:167-75 pubmed
- Lordick F, Geinitz H, Theisen J, Sendler A, Sarbia M. Increased risk of ischemic bowel complications during treatment with bevacizumab after pelvic irradiation: report of three cases. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2006;64:1295-8 pubmed
- Fertmann J, Wimmer C, Arbogast H, Illner W, Tarabichi A, Calasan I, et al. Single-shot antithrombin in human pancreas-kidney transplantation: reduction of reperfusion pancreatitis and prevention of graft thrombosis. Transpl Int. 2006;19:458-65 pubmed..This new concept should deserve testing in a prospective clinical trial. ..
- Stoeckelhuber M, Matthias C, Andratschke M, Stoeckelhuber B, Koehler C, Herzmann S, et al. Human ceruminous gland: ultrastructure and histochemical analysis of antimicrobial and cytoskeletal components. Anat Rec A Discov Mol Cell Evol Biol. 2006;288:877-84 pubmed..In addition, we detected proteins involved in the apocrine secretion mode of the ceruminous gland. ..
- Hoogland T, Schubert M, Miklitz B, Ramirez A. Transforaminal posterolateral endoscopic discectomy with or without the combination of a low-dose chymopapain: a prospective randomized study in 280 consecutive cases. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2006;31:E890-7 pubmed..There was a low recurrence rate with no major complications. The method can be applied in any type of lumbar disc herniation, including the L5-S1 level. ..
- Wittmann M, Vollmer T, Schweiger C, Hiddemann W. The relation between the experience of time and psychological distress in patients with hematological malignancies. Palliat Support Care. 2006;4:357-63 pubmed..As this is the first study to demonstrate this relation in cancer patients, further research is needed to investigate the experience of time and its relation to meaning as an issue in clinical diagnostics. ..
- Goke B, Gause Nilsson I, Persson A. The effects of tesaglitazar as add-on treatment to metformin in patients with poorly controlled type 2 diabetes. Diab Vasc Dis Res. 2007;4:204-13 pubmed..Despite the clinical discontinuation of tesaglitazar, this study has demonstrated the potential benefits of dual PPAR agonism as add-on therapy to metformin, in patients with poorly controlled type 2 diabetes. ..
- Shankaran S, Capell A, Hruscha A, Fellerer K, Neumann M, Schmid B, et al. Missense mutations in the progranulin gene linked to frontotemporal lobar degeneration with ubiquitin-immunoreactive inclusions reduce progranulin production and secretion. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:1744-53 pubmed..Upon reduction of progranulin, neither a major redistribution of TDP-43 nor proteolytic processing to disease-characterizing C-terminal fragments could be observed. ..
- Krause E, Wechtenbruch J, Rader T, Gurkov R. Influence of cochlear implantation on sacculus function. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2009;140:108-113 pubmed publisher..Although CI can cause damage to sacculus and hSCC function, this is probably not the only cause for postoperative vertigo. Advanced age is a significant risk factor for vertigo after CI. ..
- Kesting M, Sudhoff H, Hasler R, Nieberler M, Pautke C, Wolff K, et al. Psoriasin (S100A7) up-regulation in oral squamous cell carcinoma and its relation to clinicopathologic features. Oral Oncol. 2009;45:731-6 pubmed publisher..018). Based on this data, we conclude that psoriasin is a positive marker for oral cancerogenesis and early tumour progression. ..
- Ilie N, Hickel R. Resin composite restorative materials. Aust Dent J. 2011;56 Suppl 1:59-66 pubmed publisher..Finally, the paper attempts to establish the needs and wishes of clinicians for further development of resin-based composites. ..
- Herrmann K, Erkan M, Dobritz M, Schuster T, Siveke J, Beer A, et al. Comparison of 3'-deoxy-3'-[¹?F]fluorothymidine positron emission tomography (FLT PET) and FDG PET/CT for the detection and characterization of pancreatic tumours. Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging. 2012;39:846-51 pubmed publisher..Due to the limited number of patients, the clinical value of adding FLT PET to the diagnostic workup of pancreatic tumours remains to be determined. ..
- Preissler G, Graeb C, Steib C, Zech C, Weiler C, Stemmler H, et al. Acute liver failure, rupture and hemorrhagic shock as primary manifestation of advanced metastatic disease. Anticancer Res. 2012;32:3449-54 pubmed..Malignancies rarely cause of acute liver failure, the presence of which have to be ruled-out during transplant evaluation. Tumor-related liver ruptures sporadically occur and might further complicate patient management...
- Muether P, Neuhann I, Buhl C, Hermann M, Kirchhof B, Fauser S. Intraocular growth factors and cytokines in patients with dry and neovascular age-related macular degeneration. Retina. 2013;33:1809-14 pubmed publisher..The antiangiogenic endostatin was exclusively elevated in neovascular AMD, while thrombospondin 2 was reduced. Age-related macular degeneration disease seems to be associated with a generally altered cytokine system. ..
- Heublein S, Mayr D, Vrekoussis T, Friese K, Hofmann S, Jeschke U, et al. The G-protein coupled estrogen receptor (GPER/GPR30) is a gonadotropin receptor dependent positive prognosticator in ovarian carcinoma patients. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e71791 pubmed publisher..Further studies are needed to evaluate the impact of GPER activation on a clinical scheme. ..
- Behrens R, Cramer J, Jelinek T, Shaw H, von Sonnenburg F, Wilbraham D, et al. Efficacy and safety of a patch vaccine containing heat-labile toxin from Escherichia coli against travellers' diarrhoea: a phase 3, randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled field trial in travellers from Europe to Mexico and Guatemala. Lancet Infect Dis. 2014;14:197-204 pubmed publisher..Future vaccines against travellers' diarrhoea might need to include several antigens against various diarrhoeal pathogens, and might need to be able to generate mucosal and higher systemic immunity. ..