Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on zebrafish proteins in Tübingen, Baden Württemberg, Germany
Locale: Tübingen, Baden Württemberg, Germany
Topic: zebrafish proteins
- Knaut H, Steinbeisser H, Schwarz H, N sslein Volhard C. An evolutionary conserved region in the vasa 3'UTR targets RNA translation to the germ cells in the zebrafish. Curr Biol. 2002;12:454-66 pubmed..Our results suggest the existence of a common RNA localization machinery in lower vertebrates that uses a functionally conserved localization signal to target gene expression to the germline...
- Wiechens N, Heinle K, Englmeier L, Schohl A, Fagotto F. Nucleo-cytoplasmic shuttling of Axin, a negative regulator of the Wnt-beta-catenin Pathway. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:5263-7 pubmed
- Eskova A, Chauvigné F, Maischein H, Ammelburg M, Cerdà J, NUSSLEIN VOLHARD C, et al. Gain-of-function mutations in Aqp3a influence zebrafish pigment pattern formation through the tissue environment. Development. 2017;144:2059-2069 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate an important effect of the tissue environment on pigment cell behaviour and, thereby, on pattern formation. ..
- Kustermann S, Hildebrandt H, Bolz S, Dengler K, Kohler K. Genesis of rods in the zebrafish retina occurs in a microenvironment provided by polysialic acid-expressing Müller glia. J Comp Neurol. 2010;518:636-46 pubmed publisher..In view of the prominent role of polySia in other neurogenic systems, this pattern indicates that polySia provides environmental cues that are relevant for the generation of new rods. ..
- Rojas Muñoz A, Dahm R, NUSSLEIN VOLHARD C. chokh/rx3 specifies the retinal pigment epithelium fate independently of eye morphogenesis. Dev Biol. 2005;288:348-62 pubmed..Thus, our data provide the first indication that, in addition to controlling optic lobe evagination and proliferation, chk/rx3 also determines cellular fate. ..
- Seiler C, Finger Baier K, Rinner O, Makhankov Y, Schwarz H, Neuhauss S, et al. Duplicated genes with split functions: independent roles of protocadherin15 orthologues in zebrafish hearing and vision. Development. 2005;132:615-23 pubmed..We conclude that after a duplication of pcdh15, one gene retained an essential function in the ear and the other in the eye. ..
- Busch Nentwich E, Sollner C, Roehl H, Nicolson T. The deafness gene dfna5 is crucial for ugdh expression and HA production in the developing ear in zebrafish. Development. 2004;131:943-51 pubmed..We hypothesize that the reduction of HA production leads to uncoordinated outgrowth of the canal columns and impaired facial cartilage differentiation. ..
- Knaut H, Werz C, Geisler R, NUSSLEIN VOLHARD C. A zebrafish homologue of the chemokine receptor Cxcr4 is a germ-cell guidance receptor. Nature. 2003;421:279-82 pubmed
- Holley S, Jülich D, Rauch G, Geisler R, NUSSLEIN VOLHARD C. her1 and the notch pathway function within the oscillator mechanism that regulates zebrafish somitogenesis. Development. 2002;129:1175-83 pubmed..We also show that a later function of the notch pathway can create a segmental pattern even in the absence of prior oscillations in her1 and deltaC expression. ..
- Roehl H, Nusslein Volhard C. Zebrafish pea3 and erm are general targets of FGF8 signaling. Curr Biol. 2001;11:503-7 pubmed..To test whether this differential expression is established by FGF8, we have induced FGF8 ectopically and show that it is sufficient to recapitulate the endogenous nested expression pattern of pea3 and erm. ..
- Murray B, Sultmann H, Klein J. Identification and linkage of the proteasome activator complex PA28 subunit genes in zebrafish. Scand J Immunol. 2000;51:571-6 pubmed..This observation suggests that an intrachromosomal duplication event created the precursor of the IFN-gamma-inducible genes from a PA28-gamma-like ancestor prior to their recruitment into the Mhc class I peptide presentation pathway. ..
- Fagotto F, Jho E, Zeng L, Kurth T, Joos T, Kaufmann C, et al. Domains of axin involved in protein-protein interactions, Wnt pathway inhibition, and intracellular localization. J Cell Biol. 1999;145:741-56 pubmed..Coexpression of hemagglutinin-tagged Dishevelled (Dsh) revealed strong colocalization with Axin, suggesting that Dsh can interact with the Axin/APC/GSK3/beta-catenin complex, and may thus modulate its activity. ..
- Singh A, Schach U, NUSSLEIN VOLHARD C. Proliferation, dispersal and patterned aggregation of iridophores in the skin prefigure striped colouration of zebrafish. Nat Cell Biol. 2014;16:607-14 pubmed publisher..Thus, although depending on mutual interactions between different pigment cells, stripes and interstripes are formed by a completely different cellular route. ..
- Murray B, Sultmann H, Klein J. Analysis of a 26-kb region linked to the Mhc in zebrafish: genomic organization of the proteasome component beta/transporter associated with antigen processing-2 gene cluster and identification of five new proteasome beta subunit genes. J Immunol. 1999;163:2657-66 pubmed..It is proposed that these genes were present in the ancestral PSMB region before Mhc class I genes became associated with it...
- Dooley C, Schwarz H, Mueller K, Mongera A, Konantz M, Neuhauss S, et al. Slc45a2 and V-ATPase are regulators of melanosomal pH homeostasis in zebrafish, providing a mechanism for human pigment evolution and disease. Pigment Cell Melanoma Res. 2013;26:205-17 pubmed publisher..We show that it is possible to rescue the melanization potential of the albino melanosomes through genetic and chemical inhibition of V-ATPase, thereby increasing internal melanosome pH. ..
- Sultmann H, Murray B, Klein J. Identification of seven genes in the major histocompatibility complex class I region of the zebrafish. Scand J Immunol. 2000;51:577-85 pubmed..Our findings indicate a high degree of linkage conservation between the zebrafish class I and the mammalian class II regions...
- Medina A, Steinbeisser H. Interaction of Frizzled 7 and Dishevelled in Xenopus. Dev Dyn. 2000;218:671-80 pubmed..These results suggests that the endogenous Xdsh pool and exogenous Xdsh-myc differ in their ability to be recruited by Frizzled receptors. ..
- Kizil C, Otto G, Geisler R, NUSSLEIN VOLHARD C, Antos C. Simplet controls cell proliferation and gene transcription during zebrafish caudal fin regeneration. Dev Biol. 2009;325:329-40 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these data indicate a requirement for smp in fin regeneration through control of cell proliferation, the regulation of specific genes and proper bone patterning. ..
- Martyn U, Schulte Merker S. The ventralized ogon mutant phenotype is caused by a mutation in the zebrafish homologue of Sizzled, a secreted Frizzled-related protein. Dev Biol. 2003;260:58-67 pubmed..Indicating a novel role for a secreted Frizzled-related protein, we show that, in addition to the BMP pathway, a component of the Wnt signaling pathway is required for dorsoventral pattern formation in zebrafish. ..
- Harris M, Rohner N, Schwarz H, Perathoner S, Konstantinidis P, NUSSLEIN VOLHARD C. Zebrafish eda and edar mutants reveal conserved and ancestral roles of ectodysplasin signaling in vertebrates. PLoS Genet. 2008;4:e1000206 pubmed publisher..Lastly, our findings point to the utility of adult genetic screens in the zebrafish in identifying essential developmental processes involved in human disease and in morphological evolution. ..
- Peri F, NUSSLEIN VOLHARD C. Live imaging of neuronal degradation by microglia reveals a role for v0-ATPase a1 in phagosomal fusion in vivo. Cell. 2008;133:916-27 pubmed publisher..As a real-time description of microglial phagocytosis in vivo, this work advances our understanding of microglial-mediated neuronal degeneration, a hallmark of many neuronal diseases. ..
- Roth W, Wild Bode C, Platten M, Grimmel C, Melkonyan H, Dichgans J, et al. Secreted Frizzled-related proteins inhibit motility and promote growth of human malignant glioma cells. Oncogene. 2000;19:4210-20 pubmed..These data support a function for Wnt signaling and its modulation by sFRPs in the biology of human gliomas. Oncogene (2000) 19, 4210 - 4220 ..
- Takezaki N, Zaleska Rutczynska Z, Figueroa F. Sequencing of amphioxus PSMB5/8 gene and phylogenetic position of agnathan sequences. Gene. 2002;282:179-87 pubmed..Hence although the agnathan sequences cluster with the PSMB8 sequences, they have a slower rate of evolution similar to that of the housekeeping forms, and may be functioning as housekeeping forms. ..
- Sollner C, Rauch G, Siemens J, Geisler R, Schuster S, Muller U, et al. Mutations in cadherin 23 affect tip links in zebrafish sensory hair cells. Nature. 2004;428:955-9 pubmed..Moreover, tip links are absent in larvae carrying weak alleles of cdh23 that affect mechanotransduction but not hair bundle integrity. We conclude that Cdh23 is an essential tip link component required for hair-cell mechanotransduction. ..
- Kishimoto Y, Lee K, Zon L, Hammerschmidt M, Schulte Merker S. The molecular nature of zebrafish swirl: BMP2 function is essential during early dorsoventral patterning. Development. 1997;124:4457-66 pubmed..In addition zBMP2 has no maternal role in mesoderm induction. Our analysis shows that swirl/BMP2, unlike mouse BMP2 but like mouse BMP4, is required for early dorsoventral patterning of the zebrafish embryo. ..
- Siegfried K, NUSSLEIN VOLHARD C. Germ line control of female sex determination in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2008;324:277-87 pubmed publisher..Additionally, we show that testis specification is sufficient for masculinization of the fish pointing to a direct role of hormone signaling from the gonad in directing sex differentiation of non-gonadal tissues. ..